View Full Version : TSG27 Game in Progress

leif erikson
Dec 31, 2011, 11:58 PM
Welcome to the TSG27 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through about the first 60 to 80 turns.

- What were your initial priorities?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- What tech path did you follow?
- Did you prioritize any Wonders?
- How does Deity difficulty affect your decisions?

Falk
Jan 01, 2012, 05:20 AM
Hmm, I probably won't finish this one. Deity means constant pointless warfare. 80 turns into the game I'm at war with Bismarck, Wu Zetian and Ramkhamdingdong, with Bismarck constantly throwing waves of units at me for about 60 turns now, accomplishing nothing, of course. It slows me down somewhat, but the main effect of this warmongering is me not having fun at all. It's so tedious... Walking around with my scout the only thing I see is warfare, with every second tile being occupied by some unit.

Deity really brings out the worst of Civ5.

Having said that, the starting location and the map certainly look interesting. So I might come back to continue playing, but, well, probably not.

I think you should withhold further deity games until Firaxis implements some form of AI.

Sorry for the rant, but while I think the current version of Civ5 is overall very decent and fun to play, these 80 turns brought back all the bad feelings about the game I had at release. :hammer2:

tommynt
Jan 01, 2012, 07:02 AM
whats so bad about being challenged in a pc game?

Well yes obviously its anoying being attacked - but what u want?
ai outteching u and killing your rifles with bombers?

Ai outsmarting u in warware? Aint really easy in a 1 upt game where surprise attacks are imposible and defender is in a very favourible situation.

Why not play mp if u want fihgt some1 moving his units clever?
Saying that most people who try mp stop it once they fgure that there are smarter guys out there who move more clever then they are. Pretty hard to accept getting outplayed when winning sp is so easy

Please do not use this forum to advertise for Multi-player and all the bravado that seems to go along with it. This is a GOTM forum, no MP here.

nea*Nicu
Jan 01, 2012, 07:02 AM
First attempt on Deity, except of scenarios.
Turn 26 DOWed by Wu Zetian, not so dangerous, turn 36 lost Great Library by 5 turns, turn 47 DOWed by Bismark, turn 66 DOWed again by Wu Zetian, turn 80 lost capital and quit the game.
Back to immortal :)
As a side note, it happened to me even on immortal to be DOWed at turn 22 and attacked/destroyed with like 10 units but also happened to play entirely peacefull games and win by science, being friendly with all Ais, so probably there is some randomness factor here.
Good luck for the others who will try it.

Falk
Jan 01, 2012, 07:13 AM
@tommynt
whats so bad about being challenged in a pc game?
Nothing at all. You misunderstood me. I have no problem being challenged with constant warfare as I am easily able to handle it. What I dislike is how pointless it is. The AI is just cluttering up the whole map with units, thus slowing down me, themselves and my computer.

Ai outsmarting u in warware? Aint really easy in a 1 upt game where surprise attacks are imposible and defender is in a very favourible situation.
That's true, but doesn't make it any better. :)

@ladia74
As a side note, it happened to me even on immortal to be DOWed at turn 22 and attacked/destroyed with like 10 units but also happened to play entirely peacefull games and win by science, being friendly with all Ais, so probably there is some randomness factor here.
There is. The AIs in this game seem to be pretty aggressive since iirc everyone had DoWed at least once at turn 80 in my game. Sometimes you get lucky and end up with a good mixture of aggressive and peaceful AIs, but on deity that seems to be pretty rare.

ssjos
Jan 01, 2012, 03:42 PM
Got DOWed alot by germany, siam and china starting around turn 30-40.

First germany and later siam also sent down an incredible number of units my way.

Luckily, my hero trimate killed about 5 archers and 5 swordsmen from Bismark. His war strategy was mayhap not very well thought through.

Siam on the other hand had a huge army of elephants and catapults which proved more difficult. I allied three city states in his way but he just ate em up making him even more powerful citywise. His push eventually reached my capital around t120? and he manged to get it down to like 50% hp. However, I pushed him back and managed to reclaim one CS that he had conquered.

Got 4 cities now at turn 140 but I havent even started building up my culture. Ive been busy trying to stay alive by building units and infrastructure

Please do not use asterix to evade the autocensor. Have changed the text above to comply with forum rules.

Jughead Spock
Jan 02, 2012, 01:55 AM
First game at Deity, that was an education. China DOW'ed me in about 10 turns, no problem. Then Bismarck, nuisance. Once Siam piled on, though, I was done.

ssjos
Jan 02, 2012, 12:30 PM
:( Paris fell at turn 230 to artillery push from iroquise

Was looking good for a while, had four cities and most of the culture infrastructure up and 7 policys away from utopia project

Banman
Jan 02, 2012, 12:44 PM
Settled in place and made a Hanging Gardens beeline --> missed it by about 4 turns at t51 :(

Took the cash and focused on growth and science with a few archers to guard the approaches initially ... settled Orleans SE near gold and sent a settler west for pearls/more silver and was doing alright (got NatCollege up, watermills, some more troops) and got a couple of RAs rolling. Unfortunately, the second one was Germany who backstabbed me at t78, two turns after proposing the RA. I lasted for more than 45 turns patiently wiping out German wave after German wave of Landsknechts + Catapults + Horsemen with strategically placed archers, catapults and swords while finishing Hagia Sophia, rushing Porcelain Tower and building most of Notre Dame. But I didn't have an answer for Germany's first cannon, and Paris fell t125.

Setting aside Germany's growing advantage over me, I wasn't in a terrible position leading up to the end. My other approaches were relatively secure, since Germany's hostility and some strategic diplomacy had enabled me to get extremely cozy with my other neighbors and get solid DOFs with them. I was having happiness/gold problems though, which handicapped me in trying to get Germany off my back :( In hindsight, I think siting Paris in a more production-rich spot, like on the river hill, might have helped me out -- or setting aside all thought of world wonders and pushing rapid expansion. I'll probably replay it some times to see if I can do better with different approaches ...

Tabarnak
Jan 02, 2012, 02:23 PM
Had to play the game twice before having something decent.

First try i got extremely unlucky with barbs and i lost the iron tile for too long. I pissed alsmot everyone and i desesperately declared war to 2 cs because i wanted a worker(lost first one to a barb)...i tried to get Germany's land but no success(too much hills around).

2nd try i managed to be friend with Hiawatha(i wanted to kill him in the first place but 8 UUs at turn 40 against my 5 swords weren't invitating) and Suleiman(sort of love triangle) and now it's us againt everyone else. I'm currently at turn 100. Siam seems the big bully this time. I build the HS and PT and missed the Oracle by 3 turns. 3 RAs are coming and i built temples and some universities. I went Piety after 4 policies form Liberty because i wanted happiness. Multiple luxs are rare in the beginning so the :c5gold: is somewhat rare. But i bought 2 3rd ring luxs at high price and i will soon sell them. I'm allied with a maritime cs.

Hiawatha creates an excellent buffer and hills stop Germany's progression throught my land(he's at war with Wu too).

Too bad i didn't made that round for my first try so no submisison here just playing for fun. Not sure if i can win this one i feel that i'm still pretty slow. I'm not a patient player so i always make some mistakes and at Deity i know i need to be more clever and optimal but i just don't have the patience for it. Tough map too, almost no rivers/easy lux access make :c5gold: production a bit scarce.

Waitinf for an amazing(1st) run from some patient Deity players...

ssjos
Jan 02, 2012, 02:28 PM
Had to play the game twice before having something decent.

First try i got extremely unlucky with barbs and i lost the iron tile for too long. I pissed alsmot everyone and i desesperately declared war to 2 cs because i wanted a worker(lost first one to a barb)...i tried to get Germany's land but no success(too much hills around).

2nd try i managed to be friend with Hiawatha(i wanted to kill him in the first place but 8 UUs at turn 40 against my 5 swords weren't invitating) and Suleiman(sort of love triangle) and now it's us againt everyone else. I'm currently at turn 100. Siam seems the big bully this time. I build the HS and PT and missed the Oracle by 3 turns. 3 RAs are coming and i built temples and some universities. I went Piety after 4 policies form Liberty because i wanted happiness. Multiple luxs are rare in the beginning so the :c5gold: is somewhat rare. But i bought 2 3rd ring luxs at high price and i will soon sell them. I'm allied with a maritime cs.

Hiawatha creates an excellent buffer and hills stop Germany's progression throught my land(he's at war with Wu too).

Too bad i didn't made that round for my first try so no submisison here just playing for fun. Not sure if i can win this one i feel that i'm still pretty slow. I'm not a patient player so i always make some mistakes and at Deity i know i need to be more clever and optimal but i just don't have the patience for it. Tough map too, almost no rivers/easy lux access make :c5gold: production a bit scarce.

Waitinf for an amazing(1st) run from some patient Deity players...

Be careful about Hiawatha, I had a similar game and he was my best friend until he got big. Around t200 after he had killed germany he denounced me (after 4 friendship declareations) and at t230 he took my capital with 30+ modern era units

Tabarnak
Jan 02, 2012, 03:34 PM
Be careful about Hiawatha, I had a similar game and he was my best friend until he got big. Around t200 after he had killed germany he denounced me (after 4 friendship declareations) and at t230 he took my capital with 30+ modern era units

I guess i'm lucky because he only has 2 cities and 1 puppet for now. I'm still waiting for 3 policies to get free Operas and Sistine from Liberty. I had a really big hope from Oracle but got no luck again with Wonders :lol:

I know that my culture is too slow. I'm not afraid to lose from ennemy's units and losing my capital, i'm more afraid of losing from another civ from a diplo or science victory later around turn 260-270.

trueblue
Jan 02, 2012, 04:16 PM
musketeers v's infantry

it never works.

my game was off to a flyer too. mistakenly managed the GL. managed to get the oracle, CI, HS, PT, Sistine.

two cities.

but its only a matter of time before the hordes over run me.

T178. 12 Policies down.

trueblue
Jan 02, 2012, 04:16 PM
when i re-run it, knowing the iron is there... well it has to be the rush.

formivore
Jan 02, 2012, 09:23 PM
I've gotten back into CiV a bit over the break and thought I'd give this game a try.

The first game I settled on the silver to the north and went for a REX to 6 cities. It's amazing how fast France can expand fueled by Liberty and mining luxuries. But I got bogged down in a war with Bismarck and Wu, and I didn't remember how to play a cultural game at all (see the 6 cities). I ended up abandoning this game. Dunno it might still have been winnable, but I just can't stand continuing playing when I make big mistakes like that.

2nd game I followed a similar strategy, but only 4 cities. The big thing that transformed the game was bribing Hiawatha to attack Bismark very early. This meant I didn't have any ancient or classical wars.

I did get a hilarious war with Bismarck in the medieval. I had managed to get my 3rd city on the gems + double pearls site on the shore of the inland sea. Germany was bottlenecked and had to move most of his 20 billion landscknects across the water. So I bought a trireme and started drowning the lemmings... This went on until turn 90 when I guess he must have decided 20 billion + 1 was unacceptable losses, and he sued for peace offering me a city, all his luxes, and 59 gpt! So I hope the game is won at this point :). I managed to get the oracle and HS+PT and will soon hit the Renaissance. Very fun game.

IMO this is a strong start position. You have a ton of good land with natural frontiers to the east and west, so as long as you can close the north diplomatically you can survive with basically no army.

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/954/civ5screen0007u.jpg

ssjos
Jan 02, 2012, 11:17 PM
lol you had the exact same four settlement locations as me forimvore

Tabarnak
Jan 03, 2012, 12:22 AM
Turn 140 :

My culture is still slow growing. I'm currently building Hermitage and Museums(triple gs'ed Archeology). Waiting to finish Liberty and build Sistine(not built yet, i'm crossing my fingers). Fortunately, AI teching pace is somewhat slow excepted for Germany. I think i'm 2-3% behind in 2nd place. But the average is like 8-9% below me.

Hiawatha has settled some other cities around my land. He's litteraly brooding me :lol:. Protecting me from the bad other AIs. Always at war with Siam and Germany, i have not seen one of their units in my territory since turn 110 :). They are stuck behind my iroquois mother.

Constantly signing RAs with other 5 AIs, my tech pace is decent enough to not suffer from bad units. From the 20ish cs still alive, i think i'm at war against 17 of them(Siam) and still allied with my original maritime cs.

My culture rate is so damn slow that i'm still wondering how it will go later after the 200 turns mark.

Please mother!!! :goodjob:

Brigg
Jan 03, 2012, 10:40 AM
My first gotm and I haven't a hope, but I expect to learn more from seeing what others chose. I started next to the mt on the hill & Lyon on the hill far sw next to the double wheat. Turn 130 & germany gave 3 cities and gold for peace. I have taken 3 cities and have 8 policies and am about to get muskets. Berlin looks next to impossible without artillery. I have skipped wonders, going for the little ones. Tradition & liberty.

leif erikson
Jan 03, 2012, 10:50 AM
Welcome to GOTM. You picked a tough one as your first. :)

I'm with you, hope to learn how to cope with this level. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Brigg
Jan 03, 2012, 01:38 PM
Welcome to GOTM. You picked a tough one as your first. :)

I'm with you, hope to learn how to cope with this level. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

France was on the short list of civs I hadn't played yet, so it was serendipity.

My 6 yo played a couple turns for me when I went off for a snack and I lost a worker to barbs around turn 30. I played it to turn 50, but I hadn't improved a single tile yet, so I restarted for fun.
I tried replaying the same start, including city locations. I placed Lyon down by the double wheat to hopefully expand into the gems in the 3 ring and as a defensive buffer to that side. I really liked the locations of forinvore. That double pearls city would have been nice. I took that from germany, but there are 2 cities in those locations and one of them is not improved :(.

Wu is nearly out, sulemain is a military juggernaut. Siam is in the lead by a ton.

I have only played for a culture win once.

Once I am finished off, I'll try a replay with forimvore's start...

ninim
Jan 03, 2012, 03:58 PM
This was some kind of a cruel joke wasn't it? -.-

One of the most aggressive bunch of AIs I've had, constant world war ever since turn 30 or so :p I did fine for a good while, got good production going, got both Stonehenge and Oracle so doing well culture-wise, got even a reasonable (for me) defense with a couple of archers and walls in Paris...and then Germany brought his 20 unit swarm D:

It was fun in its own way but...brutal!! I think I might try the same setup but a different map and see if it's any more bearable or if that's just basic Deity:lol:

formivore
Jan 04, 2012, 12:02 AM
Turn 205 for my game. I reached mass media on turn 190 but was beat to both Cristo Redentor and the Sydney by 4-5 turns and after using a GE on Cristo:mad:! I am in a world war: me Hiawatha and Suleiman against Arabia and Siam. My cities are free to all build units now so is going to be just turtle. 6 policies to go.

golem
Jan 04, 2012, 08:52 AM
Turn 215, finally got Cristo - my objective for today. I did three cities, a lot of RAs and hurried for Telegraph and Radio - had it around turn 200.

The game is like cinema - I am at war with Siam, China and Germany from turn 40, Arabia and Ottomans on my side. Major battles between them ar on my land - so I am only watching it, just only fire from cities and garisson units.

So far I have full Liberalism, half Tradition, nearly whole Rationalism and first Freedom. Going to anarchy for Piety after while, but I do not think I have a chance to win. It is year 1500, Germany finished Manhattan project.

I need 14 more politics, it is about 200 turns to go. No chance to ally anu CS, all are at war with me.

Arnold_T
Jan 04, 2012, 06:42 PM
two cities.

that's what I should have tried trueblue! :) I'm down to two cities now anyways :)

First city north on the Silver. Second City south west on the gold. But then I got too aggressive on expansion early on after winning a very early war with China. I put a third city near the cotton and spices north-east. really dumb. impossible difficult to defend against the Barbs+China+Siam
Fourth City was dumb too. I missed getting the two pearls city to Germany, and I had an RA with Germany. but then decided to put a city really to his pearls city to try to pick up the pearls he missed. He got annoyed, declared on me, I lost the RA, and the city. Then he sent waves of knights, landscnects, archers at me. I defended alright (my remaining two cities), but at turn 101 I'm in last place in 5 out of 8 Demographics, and below average on the other three. My allies (principally Hiawatha, but also the Ottomans and Ghandi) are also very weak.
Germany doesn't have any units I can see right now, but he has 3000+ gold. WTF?! how did he get so much gold? no one else has more than 1000.
I have no wonders. Culture is crawling. science is way behind. I'm think there's no hope of winning this thing at this point, but I may play it out to the end anyway.

One thing that surprises me is how few Wonders have been built so far (only three). I tried for Stonehenge but Hiawatha beat me to it. So I figured I may as well forget about the GLib. but at turn 101 nobody's built it yet! Only the Great Lighthouse (China) and the GW (Ottomans) have gone.

Tabarnak
Jan 04, 2012, 07:51 PM
So I figured I may as well forget about the GLib. but at turn 101 nobody's built it yet!

Weird stuff. For my first try, the GL was gone at turn 51. I was tempted to build it for my 2nd run by i tried the same approach instead(no early wonders). Well i guess i made the good thing because this time the GL was gone at turn 32!

It's hard to get out the luck factor at Deity. More you play at high levels, more you will get weird random events.

trueblue
Jan 04, 2012, 08:03 PM
not sure when it went for me but i had built a library and then mistakenly clicked the GL instead of the NC, realised a good few turns in and went for it. So it went reasonably late to me. total waste of early hammers ofcourse, on that library.. and that is why ive been playing Skyrim rather than this GOTM. I could have won this GOTM first play. messed up not burning a GS on museums when i was ready to choose the SP for free culture buildings. piety 33% choosen already and the Sistine built, wonders in both cities. it was only 9 or so turns but thats an awful lot late game. raging.

good news is that im really gripping warfare with the deity AI's slaughter attacks. or maybe germany is just concentrating on the others just now, he does have artillery...

a third city at the pearls for the mountain bottleneck is the way to go. obviously the second is down at the wheat able to grab the gold and gems.

Arnold_T
Jan 04, 2012, 08:08 PM
Weird stuff. For my first try, the GL was gone at turn 51...this time the GL was gone at turn 32!

It's hard to get out the luck factor at Deity. More you play at high levels, more you will get weird random events.

I'm thinking maybe why the Glib hasn't gone yet in my game is because it seems like all the AIs are always at war with each other (as well as with me). Maybe they are too busy building units to put in an effort for the GLib?

Tabarnak
Jan 04, 2012, 08:42 PM
I find something even more weird in my game. Suleiman is still at 0% litterature. Meaning that he hasn't discover writing yet. I'm currently at turn 160, will make an update at turn 180 later tonite...now gathering policies each 8-9 turns...way better! :)

Arnold_T
Jan 04, 2012, 10:35 PM
Ha! I figured the game was lost, so just for kicks went for GLib starting at T102. Got it done in Orleans (my Gold city) in T112! Maybe this game can be turned around after all? doubt it, but also went and settled a third city south west of Paris around T109 by the Silver and Iron. Bismark had sent a lone unescorted settler there around T103 which I summarily captured with a chariot archer and promptly executed. I'm -2 unhappy now, but hopefully can fix that soon. Going for Oracle in Paris now. who knows, it might not go till T200 in this game! :lol:

Arilian
Jan 05, 2012, 03:54 AM
It was the same for me I stared to build GL way too late, just because, there was nothing else useful to build, but no one built to so I actually used it for Civil service. Weird.

I am trying 3 city could not find any good 4th. I was dowed by Germany becuase I went to the pearl site (3 lux) far west to my capitol.

I build/bought 4 tirenme+3 sword (soo many iron..), and i will try to capture Berlin when 1-2 of my ships are double fire for even more lux and gold.

I am still peace with others.

My main fear is the Iroquois but he is also at war in Germany.

I also thing Siam will be unstoppable later as he is allying CSs like crazy and have room to expand. So I must win really fast.
But honestly I do not see myself win this :)

Arilian
Jan 05, 2012, 03:55 AM
Just for the record I have started with Liberty but changed to Piety after 3 (worker first then settler)
I am not sure I will do an opera Trick with Tradition or go straight to Freedom for more and GA and double GA effect.

Tabarnak
Jan 05, 2012, 04:17 AM
Turn 215, finally got Cristo -lot of RAs and hurried for Telegraph and Radio - had it around turn 200.

So far I have full Liberalism, half Tradition, nearly whole Rationalism and first Freedom. Going to anarchy for Piety after while, but I do not think I have a chance to win. It is year 1500, Germany finished Manhattan project.

I need 14 more politics, it is about 200 turns to go. No chance to ally anu CS, all are at war with me.

Currently at turn 221, got Cristo too. En route for sydney, 10 turns to go. 3 other cities are building units. Policies are pretty much that, excepted that i never been for rationalism. I finally made peace with Germany who killed my poor mother Hiawatha... Siam established his domination with Suleiman. This same sully suddenly declared war to me but i'm still waiting for a decent attack from him. My situation is pretty critical.

I still need 11 policies! I will finish around turn 330 so there is no way i can win this game. The AI begins to outtech me badly. I only have 2-3 RAs partners, Ghandi and Iroquois no longer exist. I can't follow anymore. Formivore's situation is what you want when you reach turn 200 or you gonna die if you didn't go for a massive domination game(which is nearly impossible because of Hiawatha, lakes, and hills around).

I will continue to see how much far i can go.

golem
Jan 05, 2012, 06:46 AM
I still need 11 policies! I will finish around turn 330 so there is no way i can win this game. The AI begins to outtech me badly. I only have 2-3 RAs partners, Ghandi and Iroquois no longer exist. I can't follow anymore. Formivore's situation is what you want when you reach turn 200 or you gonna die if you didn't go for a massive domination game(which is nearly impossible because of Hiawatha, lakes, and hills around).

Absolutely agree. I did my best to turn 230, then all went wrong, finally lost the game by Science victory at 1845, still six policies missing.

I decide to chat and tried to run last 100 years three times - and what was interesting
- once Arabia dominated the world, 30000 Gold, huge army, when declared war to me I was dead in two turns
- second time Siam dominated with Army and Science
- third time the main power was Germany, hurried for science victory

The difference in my game was :
- first time I conquerd CS I was in war with
- second time I conquered Shanghai
- third time I was in peace at all.

I suggest to let all players to submit their best game this time, even with reloads. I am afraid we would have no submission at all. I can submit my defeat (with reloads) or retirement (before reloads) or nothing.

leif erikson
Jan 05, 2012, 08:45 AM
Deity is difficult, for sure. Even worse, it can be unpredictable as some of the write-ups have shown.

Please submit your first try, win or lose. We can compare reruns and the lessons we learn in the forum After Action thread.

Good Luck.

Mazer Rackham
Jan 05, 2012, 09:51 AM
This is the first Deity game I've played in quite a while - I just don't like them, and now I remember why. :)

But I'm still alive at turn 145. I have 4 cities:

Paris I settled on the hill one tile east - with ND and HS
Dual-wheat Town - on the coast with the Colossus and Oracle
Three-sheep City - with AW and a GE-rushed PT
and Iron Mountain - settled west on the 6 iron plot with an GE-rushed Sistine Chapel

Been at war with Germany for almost the entire game. He ate my original Iron Mountain settler, but I quickly built a new one and guarded him on the way to establish that city.

RAs have kept me fairly up-to-speed in tech, thought checking now it looks like I might be falling behind a bit. Still no one in the Industrial Era and I'm closing in on Chemistry which will help with production and upgrading my trebs to cannons will be nice.

I have completed Liberty and Piety with the Tradition opener. I intend to use those on Museums. All opera houses are built and the Hermitage is 1 turn away in Dual-wheat Town.

Wu is gone. Ghandi seems to be getting pounded. He is the only AI under my score and with less military power than I. I have a friendship with Harun to the East and Hiawatha to the North. I'm hoping these hold out, because I have a pretty good defensive position against Bismark.

We'll see if my alliances collapse or if I get beat by somebody else's science/diplo victory.

Brigg
Jan 05, 2012, 11:09 AM
I wonder what kind of sick mind came up with this map...
c
t195. I am way behind in tech, but China, Ghandi and Germany are mostly out of the game.

Siam DoW at 154, 2 turns short of a RA. I should have reworked my tech, but didn't and lost lots of ground. Germany DoW a couple turns later. I took one little city from Siam in my area and spent 55g to get everyone else to DoW Siam. I took Berlin and Hamburg, sold Hamburg (4k) and annexed Munich (top corner pearls) to build some workboats and add more cashflow. Everyone wants pearls. Adding a culture specialist to Munich, it decreased my culture time.
I have 3 CS allies: Hanoi and 2 culture ones.

My social policies were poorly chosen and I see no way to victory, but I am playing it out anyway.
I have Friendships with Arabia, Sulemain and Hiawatha. They and Siam are all in modern. 3 cities and 3 puppets. I would try knocking of CS allies of Siam, but I think the diplo penalty would lead to my quick death. I am starting to skirmish with them to give Germany a better chance against Arabia.

QuizMan
Jan 05, 2012, 11:43 AM
...but it won't last long.

Do people actually enjoy playing deity? I just cannot believe the speed of wonder building. GL @ T31, Oracle @ T55 and CI @ T68, needless to say none by me although I did manage Stonehenge and Hagia S is under way, plus NC. And don't mention the flood of enemy units pounding on the gates. At constant war with Germany & China, but thankfully Hiawatha is keeping them partially in check.

I settled on the NW plains/river mainly because I dislike flood plains, but wanted to be by water. 2nd city 1 hex north of the 6 iron. I am spending too much time building a defensive army, but I am hoping 4 swords and 2 archers will hold out for now.

Last in pretty well everything. Money is the only good point and now I can sign some RA's and get an engineer for PT.

leif erikson
Jan 05, 2012, 12:31 PM
I just cannot believe the speed of wonder building. GL @ T31, Oracle @ T55 and CI @ T68, needless to say none by me although I did manage Stonehenge and Hagia S is under way, plus NC.
Same thing happened to me in testing.

But, then you read this from above:
Ha! I figured the game was lost, so just for kicks went for GLib starting at T102. Got it done in Orleans (my Gold city) in T112!
:dunno:

Arnold_T
Jan 05, 2012, 05:06 PM
While everyone was still at war I managed to pull off another Wonder, the Oracle in Paris (T124). woo-hoo! Culture Win Here We Come! :eekdance:
Also managed to turn the tables on Germany and take back my pearls city from the swine. So Hey, I'm back up to four cities again. :goodjob:
Germany sued for peace, and I took peace+500 gold from him since the Arabs were startng to swarm across the seas at me.
But then suddenly the game dynamics of EVERYONE-AT-WAR changed suddenly and PEACE started breaking out everywhere. (Except for the Arabs who just won't give up).
Once peace broke out the Wonders starting popping like crazy, and I'm now seeing wonders being built (like the Porcelain Tower) for which I don't even have the tech for yet.
But at least I'm no longer ranked in last place (the bad news though is my buddy Hiawatha is now in last place).
Germany is starting to build up units on my border. I guess war will break out there any turn now. Also having to defend against CS pikemen coming up to attack me from the south.
I think the Arabs may have run out of units for a while, so I'm thinking I'll go back at Germany and see if I can take another city off of him.

trueblue
Jan 05, 2012, 07:16 PM
Paris nuked twice.

the sooner germany rolls over me the sooner i can submit the sooner i can replay.

trueblue
Jan 05, 2012, 07:25 PM
and then peace.

but the space race is already on.

Arnold_T
Jan 05, 2012, 09:57 PM
lost Orleans (Gold city) to Arab onslaught of Trebs, swords, xbows.
Germany swarming now too with rifles and cannons (plus CS support), and I'm still 11 turns away from Gunpowder.
Time to resign, but I don't see how to retire/resign in Civ5.
Is there a way to do that?

QuizMan
Jan 06, 2012, 03:59 AM
T150 and I have made some progress, but I am confident that things will go horribly wrong soon.

F9 still shows me last in most areas, but at least I have built some wonders to keep me in the race (for now). Since my last post, I have finished Hagia S, PT courtesy of a saved GS and GE, Notre Dame and Sistine, courtesy of another GS & GE.

I have a 3rd and probably last city SW of Paris near the silver and am surrounded by Hiawatha with whom I must stay friends at all cost. Still at war with Germany, but they are no threat thanks to Hiawatha. Peace with China and we are now friends. In fact I am friends with everyone except Germany. The saving grace is that apart from me, everyone hates everyone else and there are constant wars between the AI's. That is good and keeps me alive, but I am under no illusions that the backstabbing will start before to long. Pessimist or realist?.....onlt time will tell.

I think I have timed opera houses in all cities to coincide with availability of museums and I have saved taking legalism for that specific purpose. After that, military needs some work if I am not to be cannon fodder for the AI.

But SP's are slow. Liberty is finished with Tradition and Piety started but not much more, so an actual cultural victory seems unlikely. At least money is still good and RA's are plentiful.

Incidentally, I was cursing the terrain in the early stages for slowing down exploration, but it is helping considerable with slowing any approaching enemy units and they make easy pickings. Woo hoo!

Monthar
Jan 06, 2012, 10:36 AM
I'm currently at turn 154 and will lose Lyons to the Germans when I end this turn. Once Lyons falls I'm sure that horde will move to Paris and it'll be game over within the next 10 turns.

Deity is hard enough. Surrounding us with the most aggressive civs and having Germany start on our doorstep is downright cruel. From now on, when the GOTM is Immortal or Deity only include Germany if that's the civ we're playing. It's bad enough that the AI can spam countless units, but with Germany's UA adding even more units the game become impossible to survive.

leif erikson
Jan 06, 2012, 10:47 AM
Deity is hard enough. Surrounding us with the most aggressive civs and having Germany start on our doorstep is downright cruel. From now on, when the GOTM is Immortal or Deity only include Germany if that's the civ we're playing. It's bad enough that the AI can spam countless units, but with Germany's UA adding even more units the game become impossible to survive.
I know, but this was better than some of the other saves I tested.

The game creation process for Civ5 is not as simple as it was for Civ4. The creator doesn't have as much control nor are edits as straightforward. We can discuss this further in the After Action thread.

In one of the tests, a very aggressive Montie and a very aggressive Siam were next door neighbors. I canned that one after I failed to make it to turn 50. I had hoped the rough terrain between Bismarck and the start would slow him down enough to give players a chance to prepare for him. In testing, the Arabs were my friends the whole game, along with Hiawatha, and they shielded me from Siam. This shows the other issue with Deity, the AI acts rather randomly from game to game, making it hard to predict when setting up a game. :crazyeye:

edit - in one of the tests, I saw an aggressive Gandhi. :rolleyes:

Brigg
Jan 06, 2012, 10:50 AM
Turn 225: Germany and India eliminated.

The people joyously celebrate while Siam's planes destroy any unit wandering from the capital.
Our scientist feverishly work on a solution, but with no oil or aluminum, the best defense is to hide our military far from the front. I can no longer afford to ignore the provocations of Warsaw and Singapore. Removing these allies of our implacable foe should weaken him, but I fear that our desparation will be taken for aggression instead.

The artillery should reduce these cities quicklyand this will provide valuable training for the few green troops in our vetern filled armies. I can try to placate the Ottomans with an offering, but I fear he is only looking for a sign of weakness. Our mighty armies still give him pause, but look feeble next to my biggest foe. My scientists inform me that I can use these enemy cities to build a mighty fleet of Ironclads, but a fleet seems of little use when mighty war machines regularly trample our fields and planes darken the sky.

I try to support my friend Hiawatha in his battles with the evil tyrant of Siam, but I can only destroy a few flanking forces and he has lost all of his previous war gains on the eastern front.

Over halfway there on policies...
Military is a close 4th. 7k cash on hand if I can find something to spend it on.

Maxym
Jan 06, 2012, 09:40 PM
Lost GL to Bismarck and Stonehenge to Harun by 5 turns each, got oracle and HS from liberty GE, then Education from HS GS, now trying to hard build PT while fending off German hordes, mostly catapults and landsknechts, wave after wave, have not lost a unit yet to him, or suffered a loss of single point of city hp, even though when he declared I had A scout and one warrior as my home defense forces. Other warri was south on Arab border. Bimarck beat me to the pearl location and now Munich is on a convenient choke point and his hordes have free access to my lands.

At least his DoW made me militarize quickly, even though it cost me most of 1.5k I had saved up so far. Just upgraded my 2 wariors to SM, once I get 2 or 3 catapults I should be able to take Munich. Once Bismarck DoWed no one wanted to help me, even though he fought Hiawatha before and everyone is my friend. Wu was as well until she backstabbed around t50 but never saw any of her units as I was able to bribe Iroquis to attack her.

It's my 2nd serious try at deity after just finishing an old gauntlet with Siam science win. I hope I can hang in in this one as well as I did in that one where the score difference between leaders and me was 3500 1st, 2500 2nd, and me 700 and dead last until the very end when few civs got knocked out. I am doing much better here;)

Half Nelson
Jan 07, 2012, 07:39 AM
3 cities in a tight defensive triangle (all inland, which may be an issue if I progress much further). Germany D0W at turn 30:- no serious threat at present, just archer fodder. Other AI are friendly (although 2 as yet unmet). Have 3 RA in place. Building NC in Paris, 3rd temple nearly complete and will start HS in Orleans when have finished Theology research in 7 turns. Lots of aggression between AI and Hiawatha is already down to one city. Wu and Harun are also at war with Germany so that should help me to hold him off for the moment.

Please make the next Deity game VC anything but culture!

cas
Jan 08, 2012, 03:39 AM
Just tried this for kicks and thought I was doing ok around turn60, but Germany just kept sending wave after wave after wave of superior units and wore me down.

Does anyone actually enjoy Civ5 deity? All I see is one nonsense war after another against a terrible AI with bonus production...and no way to avoid early wars via diplomacy.

cas

Half Nelson
Jan 08, 2012, 07:47 AM
Managed to complete HS (for PT) and, remarkably, the Oracle on turn 98. Now have a World Wonder in all 3 cities and have completed Piety. Still at war with Germany but have reasonable defensive strength for now. Managing to scrape sufficient cash to keep 4 RA in place:- should complete chivalry in 7 turns and have a GS to bulb Acoustics. Will all be for nothing if a second AI turns nasty. At present I have DOF with Siam and Arabia (my major neighbours) and am friendly with others, even Hiawatha who has managed to stabilize with 2 cities (and Great Wall) to my North.

I now reach the stage where I have less experience and confidence at this level. Instinct tells me I should be more aggressive towards Germany but my warmongering is generally poor without tech advantage and might deflect from the overall goal of a culture VC.

leif erikson
Jan 08, 2012, 09:12 AM
Keep up the good work and good luck! :please:

Maxym
Jan 08, 2012, 11:21 AM
not doing so well anymore, lost a SM, and two chariots plus a 3 tile visibility scout i actually used to scout german positions and instead of taking Munich now i have to contend with another german city on the narrow land strip next to southern pearls.

Bismarck beat me to ND by 1 turn or rather completed it same turn mine would have been built (does anyone know how this is resolved?? would more production help, or is it in predetermined order?) and I lost Macchu P. with few turns left to go :( at least Himeji went so fast i only wasted a tiurn on it.

To make bad situation worse Siam Dowed me with 1 turn remaining in our RA, i kind of expected that since he has done it before to me and have fed him luxes, resources and GPT deals to keep him invested. Also got him to DoW Arabia as soon as our DoF expired to keep him occupied but he declared on me anyway. So now his horsemen are pouring in from the north and i am dreading the coming of the elephants. If he trickles them in i should be ok, if he swarms me i am dead meat.

Gemans are using cannons already, I really could have used that extra RA, i had my tree ready to exploit the median. Now i had to use a saved GS to buld Acoustics and i am hard building Sistine and trying to get some operas in time to pop museums when i finally get to them. I am dependent on AI to fight themselves, i keep trying to bribe whomever i can but i need them to warmonger more among themselves (especially the Otomans who are friends) if i am to survive much longer. Not that my existence has been threatened so far, its just that i know a massive wave on either side will wipe me out. And I dont trust the Arabs who have been my DoFs repeatedly but i know would B-Stab as soon as they get a chance. At least its been a wild ride so far:D I am one of those who enjoy Deity.

MadDjinn
Jan 14, 2012, 02:08 PM
hmm, I'm wondering if too many people are trying for the 'peaceful' culture game and not considering the Mass puppet empire culture game.

Wonders to get- Oracle, HS/PT, Sistine. then shift to Gunpowder/Chemistry and mass pump Muskets/cannons to puppet everything. Muskets will likely face off against Rifles, but the cannons should help you along that front.

The later wonders should be 'easier' to pick up if various AIs are trimmed down. (everyone fighting does slow wonder production)

Germany would be the most like target for Musket ownage, given his mass spam of LKs won't get upgraded. (20 cs muskets vs 10 cs LKs)

vexings (and others, but I remember him saying it most) SP path (Tradition opener, Liberty, Settler, Representation, then Piety) is the most likely 'best' path to start. Get your lands secured (mountain chokes with archer defenses and a spear/pike) then ensure Representation and Piety are finished before you hit renaissance. At that point, hard focus finishing Freedom.

GS-GE combos are best before Archaeology, at which point shift to all Artist spam. (hoping to finish Freedom soon after for the double landmark culture)

At which point, if you're 'crazy' enough to do it, flip to Rationalism and use Sci. Rev. to boost your way up the top of the tech tree.

Otherwise, mixing in Honour (right side first) is a solid plan given the +happy and +culture boosts.

Monthar
Jan 14, 2012, 02:57 PM
Probably because most of us getting overrun far too quickly from the hordes of units Germany throws at us. Plus a DoW from at least 2 other civs.

DaveMcW
Jan 14, 2012, 08:20 PM
At which point, if you're 'crazy' enough to do it, flip to Rationalism and use Sci. Rev. to boost your way up the top of the tech tree.

I ran Rationalism until the last 6 policies, and never got a tech lead. But I did get the key wonders and enough tech to defend myself.

Now I'm battling YouTube to get the 14GB video uploaded. Almost harder than fighting Deity AIs...

Ribannah
Jan 15, 2012, 12:06 PM
Turn 69

Settled Paris on the coast for esthetic reasons. Settling 1 tile inland on the river hill looks optimal but it hurts the eyes.

Later: bleh, small inland sea, not the big blue ocean... :rolleyes:

Come turn 23, China declare on us for no reason at all (we aren't even neighbours). They march a force of six Warriors through the forests past Iroquois land and then declare on them as well, thus blocking their own route to reinforcements.

When they arrive at the gates of Paris, we have a single Warrior there which is posted on the river hill, and a Scout upgraded to Archer is hurrying back home. Four of their Warriors run themselves dead on the city or our fortified defender, and the remaining two flee, never to be heard from again. Ages after this humiliating defeat, China still want no peace. :mad:

On turn 40, China attack Germany as well, but that only lasts a few turns and then they double up against the Iroquois. China capture Osininka, thereby destroying all hope for us to have a buffer in the north. :sad:

Germany declare on us as well on turn 52, but later they start fighting with China again and with Siam. No new Chinese units have shown up and we are surviving against Germany, so far. Our Trireme has started drowning embarked units, one after the other, a danger that apparently escapes the AI. :crazyeye:

However, the initial German force walked right past our civilians and are now laying siege to the capital with Landsknechts and Archers. We still have one Warrior on the river hill and one Archer, but that should suffice. :)

Meanwhile, there is a game to be played and a victory to plan.

We just settled our 7th city, according to plan. Went for an early World Wonder. The choice was difficult, I would prefer the Pyramids in this game with so much land to develop but that would take us off the intended science path, and no tech popped up from a ruins. Second pick was Stonehenge for the culture, but again Calendar was not needed for anything else while Writing gave early gold.

France celebrated the opening of the Great Library on turn 43. After careful deliberation, we took Philosophy over Horseback Riding as there was no time for a Stable yet: we had Settlers to send out. Meanwhile, the AI completed the Pyramids, but oddly enough Stonehenge is still available, as is the Colossus.

Our exploring Warrior and our second Scout (the first got upgraded and now defends the home, after finding a bunch of ruins nearby) met all the rivals and most of the City States: it's a single landmass. A good thing, since we have lots of Silver and Pearls to trade. :)

Ruins gave us two survivors (one on turn 2, with no tiles to help us grow, and one later that made the empire unhappy...), as well as some gold, the one upgrade, and 1x culture (but not early). Popped quite a few of them, but got nothing spectacular.

To summarize:

- the good: seven cities with lots of economic potential;
- the bad: at war with both China and Germany;
- the ugly: wide open in the north.

Scorewise, Siam is in the lead but they are not running away from the pack. The Iroquois are last and likely doomed. We are fifth, thanks to having a lot of tiles.

Cities
1 Paris (coast - horses, silver, furs)
27 Orleans (in the mountains - silver, gems)
51 Lyon (coast - gold, gems)
57 Troyes (coast of west inland sea - 2 pearls, silver)
63 Tours (among the sheep - gems)
65 Marseille (tiny island in west inland sea - 3 Pearls)
69 Chartres (south coast at Mt. Fuji - silver)

Iron is still an unknown, but with all those hills there must be a motherload, right?
Note to self: hills on lakes can be farmed.

Policies
9 Tradition (silver and furs are 3 tiles away...)
13 Liberty
20 Collective Rule
30 Citizenship
44 Republic
62 Piety

Allies
53 Kuala Lumpur (cultural, Sugar)

Wars
23 China
53 Germany

Technology
9 Abandoned Husbandry
16 Pottery
28 Writing
32 Mining
38 Trapping
43 The Wheel; Philosophy (GL)
47 Sailing
50 Calendar
56 Optics
60 Horseback Riding
69 Civil Service

Paris
8 Monument
12 Scout#1
15 Worker#1 310g
16 Scout#2
20 Settler#2 (collective rule)
24 Granary
28 Warrior#2
30 Worker#3 (citizenship)
43 THE GREAT LIBRARY, Worker#4 310g
48 Settler#3
50 Worker#5 310g
52 Settler#4
56 Settler#5
59 Worker#6 - rescued a Genoa Worker that was captured by barbarians and had wandered in unprotected :mischief:
60 Settler#6
64 Settler#7
69 Water Mill

Orleans
27 Worker#2 310g
35 Monument
46 Granary
54 Water Mill
69 (Oracle in 4)

Lyon
59 Monument
68 Granary

Troyes
57 Workboat 240g
58 Workboat 240g
59 Trireme 260g
61 Monument
63 Workboat 240g

Tours

Marseille
65 Workboat 240g

Chartres

Hammer Rabbi
Jan 15, 2012, 12:17 PM
question. not playing a lot of military style sessions, this has me curious.

i lost Orleans to Siam for 4 turns while taking it back. when i lost it, it had 6 citizens, a library, workshop, barracks, granary and monument. when i took it back it had 1 citizen a granary and monument. is this normal, as in the game calculates losses or did Siam actually raze and sell my stuff? can they raze faster than 1 citizen a turn?

i never knew the setbacks to losing a city for a couple turns would be so huge. it kept me in -20+ gold for 10+ turns while pop was growing back. lost any science advantage for those turns which was really huge in setting me back (pretty much for good).

Ribannah
Jan 15, 2012, 03:13 PM
If a city is taken, it loses half its population and a random selection of its buildings.
If you take it back, the same happens again.

World Wonders will always remain.

MadDjinn
Jan 15, 2012, 04:35 PM
I ran Rationalism until the last 6 policies, and never got a tech lead. But I did get the key wonders and enough tech to defend myself.

Now I'm battling YouTube to get the 14GB video uploaded. Almost harder than fighting Deity AIs...

yeah, I figured you'd use it, since you know when to manage it.

for Youtube: that's likely a far too large single video. Cutting it down to (at least) 1.5 Gb/video is likely safest.

Helldritch
Jan 17, 2012, 03:53 AM
All was going well until turn 60.
4 cities, 2 wars 4 spearmens (didn't research archery...)

Germany DoW... (maybe I traded too much with Iroquois)

Turn 63 Chinees DoW followed on turn 64 by Arabia... :(

I'm surprised I lasted up 'till turn 100...

Tabarnak
Jan 17, 2012, 04:02 AM
Now I'm battling YouTube to get the 14GB video uploaded.

Are you still battling?

leif erikson
Jan 17, 2012, 08:16 AM
All was going well until turn 60.
4 cities, 2 wars 4 spearmens (didn't research archery...)

Germany DoW... (maybe I traded too much with Iroquois)

Turn 63 Chinees DoW followed on turn 64 by Arabia... :(

I'm surprised I lasted up 'till turn 100...
:wavey: Welcome to CivFanatics and Game of the Month.

:eek: You pick a heck of a game to start your journey.

Good Luck in future. :thumbsup:

Helldritch
Jan 17, 2012, 11:00 AM
I noticed :)

In retrospec, I was a bit too aggressive on the city spots I chose. I was damn too near Arabia (i wanted that marble...) and settling so close to Germany was an open invitation for disaster to come to me.

The DoW were to be expected as the Iroquois were at war with almost everyone but me and Indians... Trading with Bismark might have been better... Maybe I'll try again. Going for the GOTM #28.

DaveMcW
Jan 17, 2012, 06:23 PM
Are you still battling?
:sleep:
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/363/youtubeuf.png

Ribannah
Jan 18, 2012, 03:06 PM
Sadly, I had to give up this game at turn 122 because the waiting time between turns grew too long, animations got stuck halfway, etc. We had just built Sistine Chapel and were doing fine, after helping the Iroquois liberate Osininka. :sad:

Tabarnak
Jan 18, 2012, 04:15 PM
Sadly, I had to give up this game at turn 122 because the waiting time between turns grew too long, animations got stuck halfway, etc. We had just built Sistine Chapel and were doing fine, after helping the Iroquois liberate Osininka. :sad:

How's that? Average computer? Get rid of animations! Finish the game plz!!! :)

I feel sorry for you.

Hammer Rabbi
Jan 18, 2012, 04:48 PM
yeah, Ribannah, i hate hearing that turn times kill that game. my games are killed by being terrible at it, haha. there is a way to disable combat animations from the TSG main article. you just have to go into the .config file and set it to '0' (or something like that).

Hammer Rabbi
Jan 18, 2012, 04:59 PM
lost Orleans (Gold city) to Arab onslaught of Trebs, swords, xbows.
Germany swarming now too with rifles and cannons (plus CS support), and I'm still 11 turns away from Gunpowder.
Time to resign, but I don't see how to retire/resign in Civ5.
Is there a way to do that?

i wish i knew of a way. how many times you conceded/forfeited would be an interesting stat to keep track of.

mostly i resort to a ragequit -> delete all the files to block that effort from memory, haha. can be an angering game. i have blood pressure to keep an eye on. :lol:

leif erikson
Jan 18, 2012, 05:01 PM
i wish i knew of a way. how many times you conceded/forfeited would be an interesting stat to keep track of.
I'll put it on the list for the Mod we'll need to make, if the .dll file ever gets released... :mischief:

Hammer Rabbi
Jan 18, 2012, 05:13 PM
might make another Steam Achievement: "Take the wife and kids, leave me alone..." You have surrendered the game without losing to one of the Victory Conditions. :lol:

Maxym
Jan 19, 2012, 12:48 PM

I hope you will get to finish, i was really hoping to see how your approach would fare. Looks like it was working if you were helping in oofensive/liberation wars :cool:

FornaxTorak
Jan 20, 2012, 06:59 AM
:sleep:
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/363/youtubeuf.png

WTB mic for DaveMcW :)

Thresian
Feb 04, 2012, 07:21 AM
I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I've never won a cultural victory on deity, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I think the reason cultural victories are difficult is that we need to farm great artists, which means we can't farm great scientists, which makes it difficult to keep up in tech. But we really need to get to telegraph, radio and mass media in a reasonable timeframe to build the Cristo Redentor, broadcast towers and Sydney Opera House. In addition, we'll have difficulty defending ourselves if we fall behind in tech. Research agreements will obviously be key, but to leverage research agreements, we'll also need some raw science to get a reasonable median. I decided that on deity I couldn't ignore just ignore science, so I'd assign one of my cities as a science city, and farm a couple of great scientists in order to bulb key techs.

Before I started, the first question I asked myself was whether or not to build Stonehenge? Stonehenge speeds us through the first few policies, but for a cultural victory we only really care about the time until we can take the *last* policy, but Stonehenge's 6 cpt is going to be negligible by the end of the game. However, because Stonehenge is active for a long time (250 turns, say), it will still make a pretty significant contribution to aggregate culture (about 1500 raw culture, some of which will benefit from multipliers), which is what we're really interested in. Moreover, if we can take certain policies earlier (reformation and the freedom and piety finishers), that will give us a significant boost to cpt. However, I think Stonehenge is less crucial than the Oracle, so I decided not to build it, because I didn't want to detour to Calendar and risk missing out on the Oracle.

My plan was to build 4 cities (to take advantage of legalism), and build a world wonder in each (to take advantage of reformation). I would build the Oracle in my first city, and Hagia Sophia in the second. I would take a Great Engineer from each of HS and the Liberty finisher, and use those to rush build wonders in my two other cities. At this point my plan went astray, because I forgot about the Sistine Chapel (it's been a while since I last did a cultural victory) and planned to build the Porcelain Tower and Notre Dame (force of habit), in my third and fourth cities respectively. PT I think is correct, because of the research problem I mentioned earlier, but ND was unnecessary, and I ought to have rushed SC instead, using a GS to bulb acoustics.

So that was the plan. What actually happened was a little different. I got calendar from a ruin on turn 15, so I decided to build Stonehenge after all, and I got it up on turn 40. I then put up a library quickly (so I could build NC in my second city) and started on the Oracle, which I built around turn 65 - that was a few turns later than I would have liked, but it was ok.

In the mean time, I'd lost my warrior: there was a barbarian encampment next to a ruin, and a German scout nearby, and I knew if I waited to heal my warrior, the scout would snaffle the ruin, so I took a chance, and the warrior died. It only revealed a bit of map, so it wasn't worth it, but it could have been something good. I then sent the free settler from Collective Rule to the south to found a city where there was lots of wheat and hills - I wanted to build HS in this city, so I needed to grow quickly and have lots of production. Unfortunately, the settler got swiped by the barbarian. I rush bought a warrior, and happily got the settler back the next turn, so it was less of a disaster than I'd feared.

Around turn 40 Bismarck declared war - no surprise there. (My scout got trapped between a barbarian archer and a German archer and died, which caused me a problem later on, because I still haven't met one civ, and I need them as a trading partner.) I'd finished Philosophy by this point, so I teched archery, and bought a couple of archers, who fought off the initial attack with no difficulty.

Unfortunately, I'd neglected to build settlers (with building Stonehenge and the Oracle), and I was rapidly running out of space at this point. Also, I'd not scouted enough - when I built the settler, I'd no idea where to put him. So I built another scout and took a look down south, and I found a coastal spot which looked ok - I need a coastal city to build Sydney Opera House. I'm too hemmed in to build a fourth city, so I decided to run with three. There's a German city in a spot I'd quite like, but it was far too strong for me to capture with swords, plus it can only be attacked from two sides.

I built Hagia Sophia in pretty good time - around turn 100, and put up PT and ND as planned. However around this time I ran into problems with my economy - I'd got lots of luxuries, but no one would buy them. I run negative gold for quite some time, despite the hit to my research. I'm chaining research agreements with Hiawatha, Suleiman and Harun. Ramkhamhaeng declared war on me, although he's fighting it in a very lacklustre way. Something went seriously wrong for Wu, because she was stuck on 0 gold and negative gpt for a long time. I built markets and mints and the national treasury to fix my economy. In the mean time Wu recovered some how (I was expecting her to have been eliminated by this point), and I sold her some of my luxuries, so now I have a solid gold position.

Unfortunately (but unsurprisingly) the Germans are continuing to attack with waves of ever more advanced troops (the Siamese are still nowhere to be seen). Around turn 160 somebody got to industrial, while I was still in medieval, which was worrying.

It's now around turn 180, and I'm in real trouble. I've bulbed rifling, which is pretty desperate in a cultural game, but I really need better troops to fight off the Germans. They're attacking with infantry and cavalry, which I can probably see off, but it's only a matter of time before they bring up artillery, and I'm going to have a real problem.

leif erikson
Feb 04, 2012, 07:30 AM
This is a tough game. Good Luck, the Germans are difficult to manage, too many troops. :eek:

trueblue
Feb 04, 2012, 08:19 AM
now that this thread has been un-stickied im chucking re-running the game :)

it beat me but it feels good.

Thresian
Feb 04, 2012, 12:45 PM
I meant to say, the other big question for me for a cultural win, is whether or not to take rationalism? The boost to research of taking it is pretty large (2 free policies, plus a quarter of a policy per RA), but the disadvantage is that the culture boosting policies in piety will be inactive for most of the game. I decided to skip it, but that may well have been the wrong decision.

I've finished Liberty, and I'll finish Tradition with my next policy. Then I'll finish Piety and go straight down Freedom, in the unlikely event I can stay in the game for that long.

clinton
Feb 23, 2012, 09:48 PM
I'm having a go as a OCC cultural victory. It's going ok for the moment, but I have a feeling it may end badly.

Turn 54 currently.

Here's what happened:

- Moved the warrior two south on the hill, saw a sheep, deer, sheep, to the south, decided to settle on furs to get the sheep, deer, sheep in three tile radius.

Build Order:

Scout -> Worker -> Granary -> Library -> (currently) The Oracle

Tech Order:

Pottery -> Writing -> Philosophy -> Trapping -> Archery -> Mining -> (currently Bronze Working)

I've also been lucky enough to pop Animal Husbandry and Calendar from huts.

I got my warrior upgraded by a hut to a spearman, it did a short loop starting to head south west, around the mountains north and then back south east to the capital to defend against barbarians. It then had to use one promotion to instant heal, later I also purchased an archer immediately after researching Archery (while I'm busy building The Oracle).

Also, a few turns ago I saw a barbarian worker wandering unaccompanied towards my territory. I grabbed it so now I've got two workers.

My scout is started of going south east, it is now far east with the Indians. It also very recently found a surprise unpopped hut and got upgraded to an archer (with scout movement, which may come in handy).

With policy I've gone Tradition only, Legalism firstly for a free monument, then Landed Elite for extra capital food. I then went the +15% wonder building one.

I'm 6 turns from building The Oracle, and about the same amount away from the next policy, so that should complete the tradition tree. I'm planning to go Piety next.

Any advice would be appreciated, and I've also got a few questions:

(1) When should I sign research agreements? I've got over 500 gold at the moment (significantly from one-way open borders agreements) but I'm hesitant about signing research agreements until the median tech cost goes up, so I get better bang for my buck. When would be the best time for research agreements?
(2) I'll eventually get a Great Scientist from the Oracle, but what should I do with them?
(3) Is it worth dealing with city states? Perhaps only cultural ones (per city food isn't much good)? Or should I save money for research agreements?
(4) I feel like I'm going to need rationalism at some point so I don't get too far behind in Science, but it conflicts with Piety. How should I manage this?
(5) Any other tips?

Mazer Rackham
Feb 24, 2012, 04:07 PM
I'm having a go as a OCC cultural victory. It's going ok for the moment, but I have a feeling it may end badly.

Turn 54 currently.

Here's what happened:

- Moved the warrior two south on the hill, saw a sheep, deer, sheep, to the south, decided to settle on furs to get the sheep, deer, sheep in three tile radius.

Build Order:

Scout -> Worker -> Granary -> Library -> (currently) The Oracle

Tech Order:

Pottery -> Writing -> Philosophy -> Trapping -> Archery -> Mining -> (currently Bronze Working)

I've also been lucky enough to pop Animal Husbandry and Calendar from huts.

I got my warrior upgraded by a hut to a spearman, it did a short loop starting to head south west, around the mountains north and then back south east to the capital to defend against barbarians. It then had to use one promotion to instant heal, later I also purchased an archer immediately after researching Archery (while I'm busy building The Oracle).

Also, a few turns ago I saw a barbarian worker wandering unaccompanied towards my territory. I grabbed it so now I've got two workers.

My scout is started of going south east, it is now far east with the Indians. It also very recently found a surprise unpopped hut and got upgraded to an archer (with scout movement, which may come in handy).

With policy I've gone Tradition only, Legalism firstly for a free monument, then Landed Elite for extra capital food. I then went the +15% wonder building one.

I'm 6 turns from building The Oracle, and about the same amount away from the next policy, so that should complete the tradition tree. I'm planning to go Piety next.

Any advice would be appreciated, and I've also got a few questions:

(1) When should I sign research agreements? I've got over 500 gold at the moment (significantly from one-way open borders agreements) but I'm hesitant about signing research agreements until the median tech cost goes up, so I get better bang for my buck. When would be the best time for research agreements?
(2) I'll eventually get a Great Scientist from the Oracle, but what should I do with them?
(3) Is it worth dealing with city states? Perhaps only cultural ones (per city food isn't much good)? Or should I save money for research agreements?
(4) I feel like I'm going to need rationalism at some point so I don't get too far behind in Science, but it conflicts with Piety. How should I manage this?
(5) Any other tips?

I'm afraid you are going to be waxed very soon. I'm still having nightmares from this GoTM. :lol: I managed to get the Oracle, Colossus, HS, GE-rushed PT, GE-rushed Sistine, ND and Hermitage fairly early with a 4 city setup. Lost steam when Sully nuked his way through Arabia then me and took a couple of my cities for peace. Eventually lost by science.

With 1 city, you are going to have problems with production (for both wonders and military), science output and gold. I'm pessimistic for you, but I'll answer your questions:

1) I would wait on the RAs until you know you are going to have the PT completed. I assume you'd go Piety and not rationalism - not sure what Dave did, but his videos are available for this one and he actually won the game :bowdown: so you might check.

2) Don't get a GS from the Oracle. Get a GE and use it for PT or Sistine.

3) I wouldn't think you would have the money to spare on CS - I would prioritize RAs.

4) Good question. I've done the RA-opener and switched back to Piety after reaching all the high-level culture techs. It seems to work ok. In this game I did strictly Piety and was never that behind in military tech. Until the Nukes came rolling in that is.

5) You probably need(ed) to expand more to keep up in this one. Your OCC is in this middle of a Pangea that several civs can and will get to. Germany will probably be kicking in your door with 10 LKs within 20 turns. :(

clinton
Feb 26, 2012, 10:07 PM
This got less fun quite quickly after this post.

Germany declared, but didn't really bother me, I sued for peace soon after.

But then the Iroquois came from the north, they reduced me to one archer in the capital before again suing for peace.

I might continue to play this game occasionally a few dozen turns at a time.

My experience currently:

(1) The AI hasn't pillaged anything. They focus on the city.
(2) It's really obvious when the AI is going to declare war, when a bunch of troops show up marching towards your borders. You can sell a whole lot of gpt and all your resources to the AI at this point for cash, they'll tend to attack anyway. Then you can use that money to sue for peace.

What I would suggest is if you have a few spare worker turns, build some trading posts. This will increase your possible GPT. This means you can switch to these to trade more GPT for cash when the AI attackes.

Also, I'm getting the feeling it's not really worth it building up much of an army, it's going to get smashed up early anyway. Probably worth it just to keep a ranged unit in the capital, and do your best to withstand the assault until they're happy to talk about peace. Save all your money to bribe them to go away.

I'll put some updates on here if I keep playing this.