View Full Version : Customize World - Part 2

Jayne
Feb 20, 2003, 05:53 AM
I thought I'd get the ball rolling!! I've taken the options from the Customize World menu.

Vote for one of each option: A, B etc.

We'll vote on tweaking the map size later.

Majority vote rules.

Agreed?

TimTheEnchanter
Feb 20, 2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Jayne
Majority vote rules.

Agreed? Not to be too picky, but am I safe in assuming that the choice receiving a plurality (most votes) will be deemed the winner and that a majority (> 50%) will not be required? Or will we possibly need runoff elections for the top 2 vote getters if one does not reach a majority?

Jayne
Feb 20, 2003, 08:14 AM
That's what I meant....... most votes. ;)

Leowind
Feb 20, 2003, 10:12 AM
I voted random right down the page. That adds more mystery and challenge, at least in the beginning stages, in my book.

CivGeneral
Feb 20, 2003, 12:07 PM
I also voted for all Random. IMO, it gives it a sense of a mystery and a supprise :).

funxus
Feb 20, 2003, 01:30 PM
I voted random on all except D, where I voted 5 billions. It's just that mountains can't be used for anything (unless special) and they take thousands of years to get rid of. (at least in the beginning:) )

Elsaak
Feb 20, 2003, 02:02 PM
agree for the B & C mystery
IMHO Archipegalo gives a little more interest
4 billion is average between mountains and all grassland...

Kev
Feb 20, 2003, 02:04 PM
As with poll #1, Perhaps deciding on player restrictions first would be better before deciding on the map.

Keep in mind as well that we could have an impartial 3rd party (as we had Smash do) create a custom map for us. We can give ourselves extra challenges or very interesting setups with this method (start on a small island far away from anything, no huts, specific accelerated startup, etc.)

Duke of Marlbrough
Feb 20, 2003, 02:14 PM
The age of the map does not really affect whether the terrain is mountains or grasslands, but how 'grouped' the terrain is. The older the age the more spread out things are. The newer the more grouped they are.

So you may get a mountain range that is 10 squares big in a 3 billion map, but it may only be a 4 square mountain range in a 5 billion game.

Leowind
Feb 20, 2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Duke of Marlbrough
The age of the map does not really affect whether the terrain is mountains or grasslands, but how 'grouped' the terrain is. The older the age the more spread out things are. The newer the more grouped they are.

So you may get a mountain range that is 10 squares big in a 3 billion map, but it may only be a 4 square mountain range in a 5 billion game. I always thought it was the other way around? I've always chosen random, so don't know from personal experience...

Talar
Feb 20, 2003, 04:41 PM
All random here as well. I think only the land form makes any real big impact on the game and I don't have any special preferences there anyway.

Jayne
Feb 21, 2003, 01:53 AM
I choose 5 billion age (thinking there'd be more mountains), large land mass and continents to get more AI contact (we were quite isolated last time, and barely threatened by the AI), and random everything else.

naervod
Feb 22, 2003, 10:22 AM
I voted all random except for A, where I voted varied. I'd like to see a varied landscape (you never see anything like that in Civ3).

Octavian X
Feb 22, 2003, 11:59 PM
Randomness is the most realistic option, in my opinion. The civilizations of the world didn't get to customize this world (I hope).

puglover
Feb 23, 2003, 06:07 PM
All Random would be fun!

Andu Indorin
Feb 27, 2003, 01:41 PM
Voted random on all except for age. Voted 3 million on that since that options tends to cluster terrain into more "earth-like" conditions (i.e., mountain ranges rather than isolated peaks; large forests versus scattered forests; etc.)

JAILEM
Feb 28, 2003, 12:37 PM
I also went RANDOM all the way. This will require strategy to be devloped as exploration progresses. Example would be what do we need 1st, horses or boats?