View Full Version : The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVIII

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

AL_DA_GREAT
Jan 31, 2012, 02:37 AM
Post here to seek wisdom from cfc that doesn't require a new thread.

old thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=438440)

mayor
Jan 31, 2012, 03:16 AM
when did the original 'The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread' start?

(I know I can look it up I just wanted to subscribe with a question)

Samez
Jan 31, 2012, 04:29 AM
It was Feb 3rd 2008 (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=261742&highlight=question+-worth) by Abaddon

Ceoladir
Jan 31, 2012, 10:12 AM
Why do we have these threads?

NedimNapoleon
Jan 31, 2012, 10:21 AM
To answer questions.

CivGeneral
Jan 31, 2012, 10:24 AM
Why do we have these threads?
And to make you ask questions!

And guess what?

It worked!!! :p

aimeeandbeatles
Jan 31, 2012, 10:26 AM
because cookies are good

Traitorfish
Jan 31, 2012, 10:35 AM
when did the original 'The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread' start?

(I know I can look it up I just wanted to subscribe with a question)
You can use the thread tools to subscribe without having to post.

Civciv5
Jan 31, 2012, 12:40 PM
Can a women ascend the throne of Japan and become Empress regnant?

Supr49er
Jan 31, 2012, 12:44 PM
How will Madonna do with the Super Bowl half-time show?

NedimNapoleon
Jan 31, 2012, 12:47 PM

I think not, the current Japanese second in line have a daughter. So if the "princess" (I dont know what the official title is doesn't give a son the brother of the prince will probably take over.

bhsup
Jan 31, 2012, 12:51 PM
THere have been eight Empress regents who ruled in their own right in Japanese history. Wiki says so, so it must be accurate!

Dachs
Jan 31, 2012, 12:52 PM
Sure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_Suiko). Eight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_K%C5%8Dgyoku) women (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_Jit%C5%8D) have (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_Gemmei) become (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_Gensh%C5%8D) empress (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_K%C5%8Dken)-regnant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_Meish%C5%8D) before (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_Go-Sakuramachi).

EDIT: Copying and pasting those links slowed me down too much. :(

aimeeandbeatles
Jan 31, 2012, 12:53 PM
I didn't get a shot in my knee (it wasn't that type) but I got some pills for it. The box says to take on an empty stomach. Why is this and would it hurt if my stomach was not empty?

Cutlass
Jan 31, 2012, 01:06 PM
I didn't get a shot in my knee (it wasn't that type) but I got some pills for it. The box says to take on an empty stomach. Why is this and would it hurt if my stomach was not empty?

When they tell you what to eat, drink, or not eat or drink with medicine, it is because those things affect how your body will digest and absorb the medicine from your stomach.

MagisterCultuum
Jan 31, 2012, 01:08 PM
There were several empresses of Japan in history, but none since the Mejii Constitution instituted Agnatic Primogeniture. This limitation continued under the constitution that the US forced on Japan after WWII. There has been a move to remove this restriction in recent years, but I do not think it has been successful yet.

Dachs
Jan 31, 2012, 01:18 PM
There were several empresses of Japan in history, but none since the Mejii Constitution instituted Agnatic Primogeniture. This limitation continued under the constitution that the US forced on Japan after WWII. There has been a move to remove this restriction in recent years, but I do not think it has been successful yet.
Agnatic primogeniture per se doesn't prevent women from inheriting.

aimeeandbeatles
Jan 31, 2012, 02:53 PM
A lot of article say "So-and-so has done such-and-such a thing, sources say." Who is this mysterious "sources"? How do they know so much? And why does it seem like such a cheap cop-out that says "I can't be bothered to ask so-and-so directly"? Unless its something unsavory then so-and-so might say it wasnt them but a lookalike.

say1988
Jan 31, 2012, 03:20 PM

Why do some people not expect others to be lazy?

say1988
Jan 31, 2012, 03:27 PM
Agnatic primogeniture per se doesn't prevent women from inheriting.

Of course the law regarding succession reads "The Imperial Throne of Japan shall be succeeded to by legitimate male descendants in the male line of Imperial Ancestors" so what agnatic pimogeniture means doesn't matter.

Synsensa
Jan 31, 2012, 03:53 PM
A lot of article say "So-and-so has done such-and-such a thing, sources say." Who is this mysterious "sources"? How do they know so much? And why does it seem like such a cheap cop-out that says "I can't be bothered to ask so-and-so directly"? Unless its something unsavory then so-and-so might say it wasnt them but a lookalike.

The journalism world is driven by unnamed sources. If every source were to be exposed, all competition would be removed and everybody would be on equal playing ground, and that... well... that just isn't profitable.

bhsup
Jan 31, 2012, 04:54 PM
I think you mean "journalism world is driven by so-called journalists making things up as they see fit under the guise of unnamed sources" don't you?

Synsensa
Jan 31, 2012, 05:01 PM
I think you mean "journalism world is driven by so-called journalists making things up as they see fit under the guise of unnamed sources" don't you?

That too.

mayor
Feb 01, 2012, 03:13 AM

I know but that feels... off...

Civciv5
Feb 01, 2012, 09:34 AM
Why isn't there freedom of religion in the Maldives?
People should chose their religion themselves,the government can't just say:"You MUST follow that religion".
The Maldives are violating the human rights!

rugbyLEAGUEfan
Feb 01, 2012, 01:02 PM
Why isn't there freedom of religion in the Maldives?
People should chose their religion themselves,the government can't just say:"You MUST follow that religion".
The Maldives are violating the human rights!

The place is sinking ! I guess they figured it's best just to put all their eggs into one basket , pick a God and pray damn hard

Gamemaster77
Feb 01, 2012, 03:06 PM
A question from the end of the old thread:
Does anyone know of a program that can be used as an equalizer for sound? Not a player, but something that would work with all audio, whether it be YouTube, Windows Media Player, a game, etc. Just a small program that would filter out any audio to the card and equalize it first.

Samez
Feb 01, 2012, 05:53 PM
Don't know but perhaps your sound driver will support what you are looking for. Not the generic windows drivers but the drivers made esp for your soundcard /mainboard

Civciv5
Feb 01, 2012, 06:15 PM
Do lava lamps contain real lava?

Cutlass
Feb 01, 2012, 06:21 PM
I think it's wax and vegetable oil.

gangleri2001
Feb 01, 2012, 06:38 PM
Hey!

I need the help of americans. Can you see the following video in the US?

XAEa0Mz2kfc

Cutlass
Feb 01, 2012, 06:39 PM
The music plays for me. There is no video, just a steady image.

gangleri2001
Feb 01, 2012, 06:42 PM
The music plays for me. There is no video, just a steady image.

There's no video, only the music.

Anyway, thanks a lot, let's see if Christopher Tin can now enjoy from my recommendation ;)

shadowplay
Feb 01, 2012, 08:21 PM
Are there any posters on this forum who identify as deists?

aronnax
Feb 01, 2012, 08:44 PM
I would consider myself a deist. However, religion and belief to me is a very loose thing.
I do however, when thinking about god and religion, feel that the world around us was first set up by a god and things just developed by it own with god coming in and poking around every once in a while. But when I delve into it further, the whole thing starts to makes less sense (like is this god all-powerful or fallible, what the purpose of humans are for, are we a pet project or a game of Sims) and I usually decide to stop thinking about it.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 02, 2012, 11:40 PM
Just why are vacuum cleaners so noisy?

AL_DA_GREAT
Feb 03, 2012, 01:58 AM
Just why are vacuum cleaners so noisy?

Because they suck air. Sound = vibrations in air (or other medium). Moving a lot of air through a tube causes vibrations and disturbances in the air. It is basically like a flute.

ArneHD
Feb 05, 2012, 07:16 AM
What would the technical term be for someone who acknowledged the existence of god/gods, but did not worship them? Think Commander Vimes of Discworld.

Synsensa
Feb 05, 2012, 07:21 AM
What would the technical term be for someone who acknowledged the existence of god/gods, but did not worship them? Think Commander Vimes of Discworld.

Deism or Theism, I'm guessing.

MagisterCultuum
Feb 05, 2012, 07:59 AM
I don't think there is a term for simply acknowledging the existence of god/gods without worshiping them.

Acknowledging the existence of god/gods but hating them instead of worshiping them is Misotheism.

The belief that god/gods is/are not wholly good (and thus perhaps not worthy of worship) is Dystheism.

Malthieism is a more recent neologism that asserts that god is evil (basically a stronger version of Dystheism).

The word Godless (or at least its Norse equivalent goðlauss) is first attested in Icelandic sagas to describe heroes who came to the conclusion that it was folly to worship the gods, but without asserting a believe in their non existence.

The word Atheist was formerly used for one who said no to the gods, rather than only referring to those who deny the gods exist.

Traitorfish
Feb 05, 2012, 11:55 AM
I think the problem we're running into is that these terms describe a theological rather than religious position, and in in that sense a person who believes in but does not worship a god or gods is simply a theist (of whatever variety).

bhsup
Feb 05, 2012, 12:52 PM
Apostate maybe?

ArneHD
Feb 05, 2012, 02:42 PM
Apostate maybe?

Isn't an apostate someone who leaves a religion?

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostate

rugbyLEAGUEfan
Feb 05, 2012, 05:55 PM
Intentional grounding in the Superbowl ? The consensus at my place is that this was a penalty for throwing a pass that was never designed to hit a receiver , just avoid getting sacked . Is this correct ?

NickyJ
Feb 05, 2012, 06:02 PM
Intentional grounding in the Superbowl ? The consensus at my place is that this was a penalty for throwing a pass that was never designed to hit a receiver , just avoid getting sacked . Is this correct ?
Yeah, that's what the penalty was for. Now I myself think it was just a badly overthrown ball due to pressure, but..... Meh.

AL_DA_GREAT
Feb 06, 2012, 05:14 AM
I have started weighing myself every morning at work ( I work in a hospital and I have access to a very good scale). I eat the same breakfast everyday and I am naked when I weigh myself. Still my weight can vary nearly 3 kg from day to day. How can this be?

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 06, 2012, 08:14 AM
Water?

AL_DA_GREAT
Feb 06, 2012, 08:28 AM
Water?

It was the day after a dinner party with some drinking. But 3 liters of fluctuation in water is a lot.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 06, 2012, 08:34 AM
well i read a lot of weight is water weight?

Verarde
Feb 06, 2012, 09:52 AM
I plan to go to see The Phantom Menace on Saturday with some friends. Some of us want to dress up. I have myself a toy lightsaber, but no robes. Is there a quick and cheap way that I could make me some Jedi robes?

Synsensa
Feb 06, 2012, 09:58 AM
I plan to go to see The Phantom Menace on Saturday with some friends. Some of us want to dress up. I have myself a toy lightsaber, but no robes. Is there a quick and cheap way that I could make me some Jedi robes?

Cutting some holes in a soft blanket and stitching some pieces together might work for you.

rugbyLEAGUEfan
Feb 06, 2012, 10:02 AM

I suggest you ask that girl you posted about out in advance of this

Glassfan
Feb 06, 2012, 10:10 AM
I have started weighing myself every morning at work ( I work in a hospital and I have access to a very good scale). I eat the same breakfast everyday and I am naked when I weigh myself. Still my weight can vary nearly 3 kg from day to day. How can this be?

Don't be naked at the hospital! The inmates are the naked ones. If you want to keep your job, wear your scrubs!

AL_DA_GREAT
Feb 06, 2012, 10:28 AM
Don't be naked at the hospital! The inmates are the naked ones. If you want to keep your job, wear your scrubs!

I am only nude in the changing room. All the men are nude in there. Sweden has a lot more nudity than the USA.

Verarde
Feb 06, 2012, 10:58 AM
Cutting some holes in a soft blanket and stitching some pieces together might work for you.

Hmm, there's a thought...now I need an old blanket.

I suggest you ask that girl you posted about out in advance of this

It's a group. She may or may not be going along.

Ajidica
Feb 06, 2012, 11:04 AM
Break out the sewing machine and start hunting on the internet for patterns.
Or better yet, watch a good Star Wars movie.;)

Puck Nutty
Feb 06, 2012, 07:58 PM
Why would a hospital need to designate 1 elevator as the "Sabbath Elevator"?

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 06, 2012, 07:59 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbat_elevator

?

say1988
Feb 06, 2012, 08:05 PM
Completing a circuit is considered building and therefore it is not permissable to operate an elevator on the Sabbath. That said it is easily argued that the use of a sabbath elevator is also prohibited as exploiting technology to avoid the rules.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 06, 2012, 08:09 PM
Completing a circuit is considered building and therefore it is not permissable to operate an elevator on the Sabbath. That said it is easily argued that the use of a sabbath elevator is also prohibited as exploiting technology to avoid the rules.

that is a silly rule :crazyeye:

shadowplay
Feb 07, 2012, 05:54 AM

You might not be properly centred on the scale.

Either that, or it's not as good a scale as it appears.

Artifis
Feb 07, 2012, 06:38 AM
To any who might just happen to be knowledgeable in medicine, what does it mean when I can feel my heart skip a beat? It's like a flutter which comes and goes very infrequently. I don't know whether I should be worried about it, or whether it's just an occasional aberration that's not worth thinking of.

Zelig
Feb 07, 2012, 08:33 AM

It's normal, I get the same thing.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 07, 2012, 10:49 AM
What is a "corporate shaft"?

Cutlass
Feb 07, 2012, 12:49 PM
Without context, I can only guess. But I would say that it meant that a company screwed over (shafted, in slang that was common in the 70s and 80s) some person or group.

say1988
Feb 07, 2012, 01:03 PM
You sure it isn't what male corporations use to make baby corporations with female corporations?

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 07, 2012, 01:10 PM
here is the context:

[he] talks about the life and times of the band-next-door, critical chic, the corporate shaft

Cutlass
Feb 07, 2012, 01:19 PM
From that I would say that he thought that having the record company screw over the bands was a common occurrence.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 07, 2012, 01:24 PM
Yes.
To my understanding, "critical chic" means popular with critics. Is about right?

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 08, 2012, 09:08 AM
Sorry for the double-post.

I have a small newspaper clipping from 1990 about a lawsuit filed in "Los Angeles federal court." (I dont know what that means) However I cant seem to find much information about it online and Im curious to what became of it. In Canada I believe a lot of lawsuits are put into big books. In the U.S. do they do this and if so, can you search them online or something?

I can provide a link to the news clipping if required.

Cutlass
Feb 08, 2012, 12:26 PM
"Los Angeles federal court" would mean a US federal court for the district of California that happened to be located in Los Angeles. Lawsuits in the US frequently are not published. But if you want to try looking it up anyways you need the name of the case.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 08, 2012, 12:30 PM
I know the name of the plaintiff but theres several defendants (I know the names of them too but I'm not sure entirely of everybody involved) so I don't know exactly what to look up from there.

Cutlass
Feb 08, 2012, 12:38 PM
The case name would be something like Plaintiff v. Defendant. So plug names in there and google it and see if anything came up.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 08, 2012, 12:42 PM
I plugged it in and I found this:
http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F3/35/570/605060/

I literally have no idea what that means

Cutlass
Feb 08, 2012, 01:01 PM
Not knowing exactly how to read the notations used in legal briefs, it would seem that Martin Allen Fine sued Tom Petty; Jeff Lynne; Mike Campbell and others to recover legal fees from some other issue. And Fine lost the case. Fine appealed the case, and lost again.

Ceoladir
Feb 08, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hmm, I always each defendant got a separate case. :crazyeye:

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 08, 2012, 04:38 PM
Yeah thats why I wasnt sure exactly what to search for.

SS-18 ICBM
Feb 08, 2012, 08:09 PM
Do Europeans have differently-shaped wallets? I just looked at some Euro notes and they look really awkward to put in my wallet.

Arakhor
Feb 09, 2012, 03:37 AM
THe only possible way anyone can answer that is they know what "your" wallets look like. :)

bhsup
Feb 09, 2012, 03:47 AM
We've got your basic bi-fold or tri-fold over here for the most part. Course, there are the more upscale models attached to chains that are tied to belt loops, but you rarely see that outside of the extremely wealthy neighborhoods.

Bi-fold:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418TEg0qq8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tri-fold:
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg86/ohohdon/Cheap%20Mens%20Wallets/415-LApPwPL_SX385_.jpg

Chained:
http://www.onetoomanydesign.com/mycrypt/MYchainedmortality_full.jpg

Traitorfish
Feb 09, 2012, 05:37 AM
No, our wallets look pretty much like that. (Mine is identical to the bi-fold one.) I'm guessing that SS-18 means the fact that European notes are generally taller (as in, a greater distance across the breadth of the rectangle) than American notes, but they fit in a wallet just fine.

Arakhor
Feb 09, 2012, 05:53 AM
Well, a £10 note is 141 mm by 74 mm, with a £20 note being slightly larger. Are US notes skinnier than that?

Synsensa
Feb 09, 2012, 07:14 AM
Yeah, EU notes fit just fine in a normal sized wallet. I think you'd run into trouble if you bought a less than mainstream wallet (my wallet is a good example of a company trying to make a wallet "stylish" and thus I can hardly fit any coins in it and hardly any notes).

say1988
Feb 09, 2012, 07:31 AM
Well, a £10 note is 141 mm by 74 mm, with a £20 note being slightly larger. Are US notes skinnier than that?

156 by 66.3, so longer and narrower (same is generally true compared to the Euro). How I hate the idea of different sized bills, though.

Traitorfish
Feb 09, 2012, 07:33 AM
It's good for people with impaired vision.

MagisterCultuum
Feb 09, 2012, 07:39 AM
According to wikipedia, the standard size of United States notes was approximately 189 × 79 mm from 1862 to 1929. Since 1929, all US currency has had dimensions of 156 × 66.3 × 0.11 mm.

So, yes; US currency is both longer and narrower than European bank notes, and back when it was thicker it was proportionally even thinner.

say1988
Feb 09, 2012, 08:01 AM
It's good for people with impaired vision.

The problem is it seems like it would be a significant inconvenience for most people when there are less intrusive ways to assist the minority.

I much prefer our textured bills allowing for easy identification by the blind while being a consistent size.

Arakhor
Feb 09, 2012, 08:07 AM
I don't see why notes of slightly differing sizes are a significant inconvenience. Wallets that don't fit your notes don't get bought in great numbers, if at all. Ours are different colours, so only the completely blind can't use them properly.

Traitorfish
Feb 09, 2012, 08:15 AM
Actually, that's the thing- the varied sizes mean that even totally blind people can use them. It's a better solution that texturing, because texture gets worn away with use, while size doesn't.

rugbyLEAGUEfan
Feb 09, 2012, 10:37 AM
Where would be the best place to see if any forum members want to play "Words with Friends"?

Synsensa
Feb 09, 2012, 10:43 AM
Where would be the best place to see if any forum members want to play "Words with Friends"?

What is that?

rugbyLEAGUEfan
Feb 09, 2012, 10:46 AM
Oh sorry . Very popular i phone / pad app that is basically Scrabble

madviking
Feb 09, 2012, 11:45 AM

"Other Games" forum?

rugbyLEAGUEfan
Feb 09, 2012, 11:47 AM
Cheers.....on reflection that stands to reason

But I don't know anyone there . I like you guys

west india man
Feb 09, 2012, 12:19 PM
Actually, that's the thing- the varied sizes mean that even totally blind people can use them. It's a better solution that texturing, because texture gets worn away with use, while size doesn't.

The British size the coins completely randomly, though, which can get confusing if you have just been blinded/don't understand English.

My father often complains (especially to Brazilians who have recently arrived in London) that British notes are way too big to fit properly into his wallet

Ajidica
Feb 09, 2012, 12:20 PM
Another argument in favor of a world currency! Make it so it fits into every wallet.

Traitorfish
Feb 09, 2012, 12:26 PM
The British size the coins completely randomly, though, which can get confusing if you have just been blinded/don't understand English.
They're all of different shapes and thicknesses, though, so if you know the system it's doable. People who can see fine are able to grope around in their pockets for the right change using British money, so it's hardly impossible.

Another argument in favor of a world currency! Make it so it fits into every wallet.
Or just make the wallets big enough to fit every currency. :dunno:

Ajidica
Feb 09, 2012, 12:27 PM
But that wouldn't satisfy my inner freedom-hating, liberty-crushing, statist dictator!
How dare you suggest that I be restricted from excercising my freedom to crush yours!

say1988
Feb 09, 2012, 12:37 PM
The British size the coins completely randomly
I presume the original coins current ones are based on were made of different metals and sizes were determined by the value of the metals.
In Canada the dime ($0.10) is smaller than the penny or nickle because it was silver, which made a small coin more expensive then larger copper ($0.01) or nickel ($0.05) coins. Same with the USD with which the CAD traded at par and coins were made of the same materials.

west india man
Feb 09, 2012, 12:43 PM
They're all of different shapes and thicknesses, though, so if you know the system it's doable. People who can see fine are able to grope around in their pockets for the right change using British money, so it's hardly impossible.

I certainly can't. :undecide:

say1988
Feb 09, 2012, 12:48 PM
It just requires familiarity with the coins. Someone with no experience with them will have issues, but someone that has used them regularly for all his life should know.

I know in Canada many coins also have different edging, particularly useful for for the dime (rough) and penny (smooth) that are roughly the same size.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 09, 2012, 12:54 PM
It just requires familiarity with the coins. Someone with no experience with them will have issues, but someone that has used them regularly for all his life should know.

I know in Canada many coins also have different edging, particularly useful for for the dime (rough) and penny (smooth) that are roughly the same size.

Well dimes are thinner quite a bit.

Question:

It seems this place was a bottle club. And around midnight the rest of the places in Ocala closed and this place opened for business and people flooded in.

What is a bottle club?

salty mud
Feb 10, 2012, 03:28 PM
Does anyone know somewhere where I can buy the original Zoo Tycoon game so it would work on Windows 7? GOG.com has failed me.

Synsensa
Feb 10, 2012, 03:30 PM
Does anyone know somewhere where I can buy the original Zoo Tycoon game so it would work on Windows 7? GOG.com has failed me.

Liquidation stores and eBay!

Here (http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Zoo-Tycoon-Complete-Collection-PC-2003-/6480487?_dmpt=Video_Games_Games&_pcategid=139973&_pcatid=2&_refkw=zoo+tycoon&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C 72%253A6063&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

Can get it for pretty cheap too.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 10, 2012, 04:23 PM

Check Amazon I think I saw it there. I played it successfully on Windows Vista so it ought to work on 7 (which, IMO, is basically a fancy service pack to Vista).

bhsup
Feb 10, 2012, 05:45 PM
Check Amazon I think I saw it there. I played it successfully on Windows Vista so it ought to work on 7 (which, IMO, is basically a fancy service pack to Vista).
Vista is Windows 6.0, Windows 7 is actually Windows 6.1

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 10, 2012, 05:57 PM
Yes. Most programs if compatible with one will be compatible with the other. Theres probably an odd example somewhere (always is, from what I know) but Ive never heard of it.

Artifis
Feb 10, 2012, 07:17 PM
Out of curiosity, what do posters think when they use this emoticon?

:rolleyes:

By virtue of being called "rolleyes", I know that it is meant as a reference to sarcasm. But I never saw this little fellow in that light. I see him as more of a cheeky guy, appropriate as an indicator of a tongue-in-cheek comment. I wonder if I'm alone in this...

Traitorfish
Feb 10, 2012, 07:31 PM
I tend to use :mischief:, "mischief", to indicate a tongue-in-cheek tone. He's got more of an impish character.

Leoreth
Feb 10, 2012, 07:56 PM
:p -> don't take the previous line too seriously
:mischief: -> I might be jokingly saying that to get a reaction out of you
:rolleyes: -> after lines that respond to egregious cases of ignorance, self-righteousness or hypocrisy

RobAnybody
Feb 10, 2012, 07:59 PM
I read that as "oh, come on" or "that's ridiculous & you know it (or should know it)".

taillesskangaru
Feb 10, 2012, 08:01 PM
:p -> don't take the previous line too seriously
:mischief: -> I might be jokingly saying that to get a reaction out of you
:rolleyes: -> after lines that respond to egregious cases of ignorance, self-righteousness or hypocrisy

Ditto.

NickyJ
Feb 10, 2012, 08:44 PM
Out of curiosity, what do posters think when they use this emoticon?

By virtue of being called "rolleyes", I know that it is meant as a reference to sarcasm. But I never saw this little fellow in that light. I see him as more of a cheeky guy, appropriate as an indicator of a tongue-in-cheek comment. I wonder if I'm alone in this...
You really think it's that hard to figure out? :rolleyes:

:mischief:
:pGet the point? :mischief:

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 11, 2012, 09:25 AM
What are "lusty teen devotees"?

Huayna Capac357
Feb 11, 2012, 09:27 AM
Teenage fans primarily attracted by the sexual appeal of the thing they are the fan of.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 11, 2012, 10:07 AM
Yeah I figured so.

Question: I've noticed quite a bit, that when some newspapers publish articles
Subheadings inserted
they sometimes randomly stick subheadings between paragraphs and once in the middle of a paragraph (it was one of those syndicated ones so i knew about it being a paragraph). Why do they do this? I wonder if its to draw more attention to the article. Will post an example on request

Save_Ferris
Feb 11, 2012, 10:21 AM
If any of you are on forum games, we need two more people and a reserve for EPYC (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=430990&page=25).

say1988
Feb 11, 2012, 10:47 AM
Yeah I figured so.

Question: I've noticed quite a bit, that when some newspapers publish articles
Subheadings inserted
they sometimes randomly stick subheadings between paragraphs and once in the middle of a paragraph (it was one of those syndicated ones so i knew about it being a paragraph). Why do they do this? I wonder if its to draw more attention to the article. Will post an example on request

People tend to skim newspapers, so they emphasize parts (often you see a quote pulled out and put in a larger font) to try and catch a reader's attention. Basically it serves to reinforce headlines.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 11, 2012, 01:28 PM
People tend to skim newspapers, so they emphasize parts (often you see a quote pulled out and put in a larger font) to try and catch a reader's attention. Basically it serves to reinforce headlines.

Yes I saw the quote thing. In fact I remember once they did that and it made it sound worse than it did in context which, IMHO, was kind of rude and caused a couple of years of misunderstanding

Civciv5
Feb 12, 2012, 06:09 AM
When will the United Nations do something in the Syrian civil war?
Will they wait until the country destroys itself and there is even more chaos?

Cutlass
Feb 12, 2012, 10:26 AM
When will the United Nations do something in the Syrian civil war?
Will they wait until the country destroys itself and there is even more chaos?

Doesn't look like the UN ever will. Russia and China blocked any UN action by Security Council veto.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 13, 2012, 10:50 AM
Does "the Paradise" in Boston refer to the Paradise Theater? (It was from 1978. I'm not even all that sure it exists anymore.)

Huayna Capac357
Feb 13, 2012, 03:49 PM
Maybe Paradise Rock Club?

http://www.last.fm/venue/8779001+Paradise+Rock+Club

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 13, 2012, 04:29 PM
Ive only heard it referred to as the Paradise Theater or "the Paradise"

Huayna Capac357
Feb 13, 2012, 04:36 PM
Never mind, probably the Paradise Theater then. Never heard of it though, probably is no longer open.

SS-18 ICBM
Feb 13, 2012, 09:13 PM
Can anyone tell me why YouTube videos often just stop buffering at some point? A working solution would be nice too. It's really starting to get annoying with even multiple refreshes failing to solve the damn problem. The programmers who did this need to be strung up and [DATA EXPUNGED]. [pissed]

madviking
Feb 13, 2012, 10:07 PM
So,

Ronviking is in a serious (not serious) predicament. It seems that next semester I'll be able to take only three classes: Thermo II, Introductory Circuit Analysis, and Physics II lab. This amounts to only seven credit hours, much fewer than the requisite 12 hours I need to remain a full time student. So here are the possible classes I could take:

- Real Analysis
http://i.imgur.com/G08jf.png

- Linear Algebra
http://i.imgur.com/Pp9XO.png

- Complex Variables
http://i.imgur.com/sIHJt.png

- Applied Partial Differential Equations
http://i.imgur.com/OJ0UE.png

- Italian
http://i.imgur.com/g8vLz.png

Please help. (Useful information: I'm majoring in Chemical Engineering and minoring in Electrical Engineering... choose accordingly)

taillesskangaru
Feb 13, 2012, 10:10 PM
Italian sounds the least painful out of those.

Applied Differential Equations might be good.

madviking
Feb 13, 2012, 10:11 PM
Applied Differential Equations might be good.

Sorry on my end, but the class option is Applied Partial Differential Equations. I'm taking ODE this semester.

Cutlass
Feb 14, 2012, 08:18 AM
Real Analysis looks interesting. And might even be useful in the long run.

CKS
Feb 14, 2012, 11:23 AM
I'd suggest linear algebra or applied partial differential equations as being helpful for electrical engineering. I don't really know enough about chemical engineering to be helpful there.

I'd agree that real analysis sounds interesting, but I don't think it will be all that useful for engineering (which I see as concentrating more on the how to do it than the why to do it of things).

Would Italian be a useful language for you? Do you need a language for your program? Then Italian might be a good choice, and a nice break from your other classes.

madviking
Feb 14, 2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks guys.

I'd suggest linear algebra or applied partial differential equations as being helpful for electrical engineering. I don't really know enough about chemical engineering to be helpful there.

Yea, I talked to my father [applied math major] and he put linear #1 and apde #2, so I'm leaning linear at this point.

Would Italian be a useful language for you? Do you need a language for your program? Then Italian might be a good choice, and a nice break from your other classes.

To blow off steam, mostly.

Gamemaster77
Feb 14, 2012, 11:14 PM
Does anyone know of where I could by a rubber mask of s face? Something that I could wear on me that would look realistic enough from talking distance.

azzaman333
Feb 15, 2012, 01:01 AM
I'd recommend Linear Algebra, because I did that last year and it would've been really easy if the administration at my uni weren't bastards by combining it with Vector Calculus.

Also, 20k posts until the music thread gets archived. Go me.

Civciv5
Feb 15, 2012, 09:27 AM
What is the reason why Buddhism and Hinduism declined in Indonesia and Islam became the major religion?

Kaiserguard
Feb 15, 2012, 02:51 PM
What is the reason why Buddhism and Hinduism declined in Indonesia and Islam became the major religion?

Through trade: Being a Muslim meant better connections in Muslim countries, so traders from what is today's Indonesia and Malaysia adopted Islam and the rest of the population eventually followed.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 16, 2012, 08:02 PM
What does it mean to "shart"? It's not in my dictionary

SS-18 ICBM
Feb 16, 2012, 08:54 PM
You know the three phases of matter: solid, liquid, and gas? Now imagine that coming out of your bottom.

madviking
Feb 16, 2012, 08:58 PM
Do all majors seem to have more classes in the spring than in the fall?

PlutonianEmpire
Feb 16, 2012, 09:03 PM
What does it mean to "shart"? It's not in my dictionary
A "shart" is when someone accidentally craps themself while farting.

rugbyLEAGUEfan
Feb 16, 2012, 09:16 PM

Interestingly , Bali is 97% Hindu while Lombok , a stones throw over the water , is 97% Muslim .

meromorph
Feb 16, 2012, 10:27 PM
Yea, I talked to my father [applied math major] and he put linear #1 and apde #2, so I'm leaning linear at this point.

Yeah those are the best two choices. The PDE class will be useful for quantum chemistry (i.e. orbitals and such are found by solving PDEs), and linear algebra is used all over, especially if you might do something related to programming or simulation.

Real analysis and complex variables are very interesting subjects, but they are better suited for math and physics students. These subjects are not directly used in chemistry, but they are useful if you want to understand the math on a deeper level.

Civciv5
Feb 17, 2012, 12:25 PM
What is Tiiis Tseba?
It is the capital of the Apache in Civ4:Col.
According to the internet,it doesn't exists.
Is that a real city,or as it fictional?

Cutlass
Feb 17, 2012, 12:30 PM
The Apache really didn't have cities. The permanent settlements they did have, names may well be unknown or in dispute. So it's likely a name picked on little and obscure evidence.

west india man
Feb 17, 2012, 01:22 PM
It could be the name of a tribe, or the name of a specific area given by the Apache

Huayna Capac357
Feb 20, 2012, 01:05 PM
Why do the figures for life expectancy of Botswana vary so much? I've seen them as low as in the 30s and has high as 62. What is the correct figure?

Civciv5
Feb 20, 2012, 01:35 PM
What if Hitler or Mussolini invaded Vatican City and captured the Pope?
Oh,and can the Pope still declare war against "heathens" and ask other Christian countries to join?

say1988
Feb 20, 2012, 02:04 PM
Why do the figures for life expectancy of Botswana vary so much? I've seen them as low as in the 30s and has high as 62. What is the correct figure?

Either inconsistent data or they are reporting different versions.
I would say that the 30s is probably the life expectancy at birth and the longer ones are life expectency if they reach a particular age to factor out infant mortality.

Just a guess, though.

Cutlass
Feb 20, 2012, 05:06 PM
What if Hitler or Mussolini invaded Vatican City and captured the Pope?
Oh,and can the Pope still declare war against "heathens" and ask other Christian countries to join?

Then they would likely have faced mass resistance from the Italian people. It was of no use and potentially undermine their regime.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 20, 2012, 05:47 PM
Question: I have been trying to decipher something for a long time and I dont know exactly what it means. In your opinion what does this mean:
"Tell me why you wanna lay there and revel in your abandon"

Seriously, Ive been trying to figure this out since 2007...

taillesskangaru
Feb 20, 2012, 08:20 PM

Either inconsistent data or they are reporting different versions.
I would say that the 30s is probably the life expectancy at birth and the longer ones are life expectency if they reach a particular age to factor out infant mortality.

Just a guess, though.

The data may have been from different years. Botswana used to have a life expectancy at birth of 64 in the early 90s. This dropped to 49 in the early 2000s, and now it's 59 for males and 62 for females according to WHO (absent AIDS, Botswana's life expectancy would probably be in the mid-70s)

The healthy life expectancy (HALE (http://www.who.int/whosis/indicators/2007HALE0/en/)) is much lower; something like 33 - 36 years. The main culprit is of course AIDS, which incapacitates but doesn't always kill you quickly, especially if you get treatment.

SS-18 ICBM
Feb 20, 2012, 09:41 PM
Is it even possible to beach a supercarrier? What would that even look like?

Cutlass
Feb 20, 2012, 09:48 PM

Anything man can build, man can screw up and destroy. What it would look like depends on the nature of the beaching. It could go like that cruise ship and land on its side, or could be stranded upright. But it would be much harder to put a hole in the hull and sink than that cruise ship. They aren't built cheap.

bhsup
Feb 21, 2012, 01:39 AM

They aren't super carriers, but the tsunami in Japan put some ships on land.

http://www.thejournal.ie/in-pictures-googles-before-and-after-images-of-japans-earthquake-and-tsunami-304201-Dec2011/

The USS Enterprise, while not really beached, was aground on a sandbar in the 80s until high tide and tugs could float/pull her off.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 21, 2012, 07:54 PM
What is a "grainy baritone"?

Huayna Capac357
Feb 21, 2012, 08:57 PM
Baritone is a male vocal range between tenor and bass. So not very low, but not high for a man's voice either.

Grainy could mean like gravelly, like their voice sounds like maybe they've smoked a lot or as if they have a sore throat. Examples of famously gravelly voices are Tom Waits and Capt. Beefheart.

madviking
Feb 21, 2012, 10:39 PM
Calling Tom Waits' voice gravelly is like calling an ocean a puddle.

Civciv5
Feb 22, 2012, 05:25 AM
Are there still living descendants of the ancient Pharaohs of Egypt?

Traitorfish
Feb 22, 2012, 05:37 AM
In the most literal sense, there are millions, but we can't trace any genealogies if that's what you're asking. There are various Arab and African tribal nobilities that claim descent from the Pharoahs, but there were also people who claimed to be descended from Odin, so, y'know, it's a bit tenuous.

mayor
Feb 22, 2012, 05:38 AM
I want to ask which Lineage but I don't think that matters much..

The Ptolemaic dysnasty died out when Octavianus executed Caesarion (Ptolemy XV Philopator Philometor Caesar). But I wouldn't know about the earlier Lineages.

EDIT: The Pharaohs probably had some bastard offspring so I guess there might be some descendants because of that...

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 22, 2012, 09:58 AM
I cant really eat anything too well due to the swollen wisdom tooth. However I can get a large milkshake at the nearby grocery store. Would that be a good substitute for breakfast?

(Breakfast for me can't really be skipped or I get weird.)

(I could also make one at home but the blender is broken down.)

mayor
Feb 22, 2012, 10:02 AM
I cant really eat anything too well due to the swollen wisdom tooth. However I can get a large milkshake at the nearby grocery store. Would that be a good substitute for breakfast?

(Breakfast for me can't really be skipped or I get weird.)

Not on a regular basis but I don't think it hurts for once/twice.

However, here in The Netherlands we have something called, Drink Ontbijt* (Drink Breakfast). It's basically a drink with the nutrition of a healthy breakfast. It tastes actually pretty good.
Maybe something like that?

*In my experience you do hungry earlier if you use this as a complete substitute but my mom says she doesn't suffer from this :)

Synsensa
Feb 22, 2012, 10:30 AM
Not on a regular basis but I don't think it hurts for once/twice.

However, here in The Netherlands we have something called, Drink Ontbijt* (Drink Breakfast). It's basically a drink with the nutrition of a healthy breakfast. It tastes actually pretty good.
Maybe something like that?

*In my experience you do hungry earlier if you use this as a complete substitute but my mom says she doesn't suffer from this :)

You can get boxes of similar drinks and tubes on Amazon and certain bulk stores. Much better alternative to milkshakes.

Gamemaster77
Feb 22, 2012, 10:37 AM
Take your normal breakfast, put it in the blender, and then drink it.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 22, 2012, 11:12 AM
I actually thought of that. But those breakfast replacements only come in bulk packages and are rather expensive here.

The blender is broken so I could not use that.

Traitorfish
Feb 22, 2012, 11:18 AM
Plus, if you were making breakfast smoothies, you won't just blend whatever you were going to have anyway. Don't know what the rest of you have for breakfast, but I don't much fancy a toast-and-coffee smoothie. :ack:

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 22, 2012, 11:42 AM
No -- anyways what I have depends on what's in the house. I don't think cheesestrings would work too well in a smoothie.

say1988
Feb 22, 2012, 12:01 PM
If it is just a few days and you just need something for breakfast (i.e. you have no special nutritional requirements) your milkshake idea is probably good enough. Just keep that in mind when you consider what else you eat.

It would be healthier if you could get fruit smoothies somewhere nearby or possibly some sort of protein shake.

If it a long term thing, get a new blender (just a cheap individual serving one would do) and make fruit smoothies at home.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 22, 2012, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure how long it'll be. But ill keep that in mind.

I cant really chew anything. Actually I can a little bit but it's very painful. However if the food is soft enough (e.g. I will probably have smashed potatoes for supper) I can push it in and swallow it without chewing too much.

Civciv5
Feb 22, 2012, 04:15 PM
Did Empress Jingu exist?

Verarde
Feb 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
Is it legal to take a CD that you borrowed from the library and put it into your iTunes library?

Huayna Capac357
Feb 23, 2012, 12:15 PM
Yes. They legally bought the CD and you are not reselling it. Unless you do. In which case, it's illegal.

Verarde
Feb 23, 2012, 12:26 PM
I don't plan on reselling the CD.

Huayna Capac357
Feb 23, 2012, 12:27 PM
Then it's legal.

Cutlass
Feb 23, 2012, 12:28 PM
No. Fair use says you can copy something you own to another format. Not something you don't own.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 23, 2012, 05:24 PM
I am trying to google for an obscure song by a certain artist on Google (I have been trying to decipher some of the lyrics for years now). I put it in quotes. However, Google keeps changing it to another song with a very similiar title (the only difference is a plural)... by the same artist (yeah, I know, weird). How do I stop this?

dIZZyBlIZZy
Feb 23, 2012, 11:10 PM
I know what a sommelier is, but there are those super experts with coffee. What is their title? And are they just as well trained in coffee as a sommelier is with wine?

PlutonianEmpire
Feb 23, 2012, 11:12 PM
Would it be practical to enforce an outright ban on, and criminalization of, peer pressure? Why or why not?

Huayna Capac357
Feb 23, 2012, 11:20 PM
No. How would you possibly enforce that?

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 23, 2012, 11:56 PM
I was reading on Wikipedia about Google Street Views not being legal in some parts of Europe as you werent allowed to film people publicly without their permission (something like that).

Couldn't that be solved by the Google street view people putting out fliers in peoples mailboxes saying what time the Google street view camera should be coming and "if you don't want to be filmed, you should run inside the house when you see it coming"? And maybe have loudspeakers on the vehicle saying "THE GOOGLE STREETVIEW CAR IS COMING"?

madviking
Feb 24, 2012, 12:50 AM
Would it be practical to enforce an outright ban on, and criminalization of, peer pressure? Why or why not?

You do know it's not always bad for you, right?

Arakhor
Feb 24, 2012, 08:26 AM
I'd propose a ban on peer pressure, but I wouldn't pass an Act of Parliament to do it. I'd simply get everyone to agree on banning it and to make people feel unwelcome if they tried it.

NedimNapoleon
Feb 24, 2012, 08:45 AM
Is it true there was a zombie like pandemic in rural Cambodia?

SS-18 ICBM
Feb 24, 2012, 08:56 AM
Source?

NedimNapoleon
Feb 24, 2012, 08:58 AM
I just googled and this came out first, but I just heard it as a rumor on the internet but is it true or false? (http://threewaynews.blogspot.com/2005/06/cambodian-zombie-army.html)

Traitorfish
Feb 24, 2012, 08:59 AM
Nope.

http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/zombies.asp

NedimNapoleon
Feb 24, 2012, 09:06 AM
I was going to stock up on guns, food and mosquito repelant, barracade the house and (http://nooooooooooooooo.com/) do some target practice. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aezzhR2FYCc)

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 24, 2012, 09:07 AM
Noooooooooooooooooo.com?

NedimNapoleon
Feb 24, 2012, 09:07 AM
Everyone secretly wants a zombie apocalypse.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 24, 2012, 09:08 AM
No, thanks.

NedimNapoleon
Feb 24, 2012, 09:10 AM
What I would get huge speakers, make a Black sabbath playlist and cock my guns. ahhhhhhh, what I dream.

Chukchi Husky
Feb 24, 2012, 03:20 PM
Why is it that people think Africa is a single country, but don't do the same for the other continents?

Dachs
Feb 24, 2012, 03:21 PM
I'd propose a ban on peer pressure, but I wouldn't pass an Act of Parliament to do it. I'd simply get everyone to agree on banning it and to make people feel unwelcome if they tried it.
lol

"My pickle started out in a jar, and now it's in one again! It's, like, a pun or something."

Cutlass
Feb 24, 2012, 05:38 PM
Why is it that people think Africa is a single country, but don't do the same for the other continents?

I don't think that most people do. But most people, in the US at any rate, know little about individual African nations. And don't learn enough to recognize diversity among them.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 24, 2012, 08:01 PM
The gum where my wisdom tooth is coming through. When I disturb it by mistake (my drinking straw slipped and poked it) blood comes out. It clots easily though. My mom says that "it's normal" but upon further questioning she didn't have wisdom teeth and doesn't actually know anything about dental. Should I worry? I can't afford a dentist until my student loan comes in... that is if it's not too expensive...

dIZZyBlIZZy
Feb 24, 2012, 08:21 PM
I don't know about your neighborhood, but stateside extractions run from $75-200, depending on your oral surgeon, assuming you need one. If your wisdom teeth do not require pulling, it'll almost definitely be less than that. That's just giving you a simple reference point to start with pricewise.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 24, 2012, 08:28 PM
I'm in Canada and prices are different here.

Because you mention the UHC in Canada it does not cover dental.

PlutonianEmpire
Feb 24, 2012, 08:34 PM
Is it me, or are we seeing more and more really-really-really-old-timers starting to post on the forum?

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 24, 2012, 08:36 PM
What exactly do you mean? I've been here since 2007

PlutonianEmpire
Feb 24, 2012, 08:47 PM
People from 2001, 2002 who haven't been seen in YEARS.

aimeeandbeatles
Feb 24, 2012, 08:56 PM
No I have not noticed.

PlutonianEmpire
Feb 25, 2012, 01:53 AM
What's the difference between "map length" and "ground length" in Google Earth's measuring tool?

SS-18 ICBM
Feb 25, 2012, 02:17 PM
"Ground length" probably doesn't have the errors from the map projection.

shadowplay
Feb 26, 2012, 11:13 AM
If someone converted to Judaism, would it be acceptable for that person to make Jewish jokes?

That episode of Seinfeld got me thinking about this:

mV7m6IIN_tI

Traitorfish
Feb 26, 2012, 11:50 AM
Most Jewish joke are about ethnicity rather than religion, so I don't think so. It's the same way that converting to Catholicism and moving to Ireland doesn't mean you can start making Irish jokes.

GoodGame
Feb 26, 2012, 01:31 PM
Does anyone here own/use a "chair-bed"? Are they worth the money ($200-$350)?

mayor
Feb 27, 2012, 03:23 AM
If someone converted to Judaism, would it be acceptable for that person to make Jewish jokes?

That episode of Seinfeld got me thinking about this:

mV7m6IIN_tI

I find the idea that you can only make Jewish jokes if you are Jewish, Black jokes if you are Black, Catholic jokes if you are Catholic strange...
People should be able to joke about everything and if not than Non-American people shouldn't be allowed to make American jokes, Non-Dutch people shouldn't be allowed to make Dutch jokes etc..

salty mud
Feb 27, 2012, 04:53 AM
I find the idea that you can only make Jewish jokes if you are Jewish, Black jokes if you are Black, Catholic jokes if you are Catholic strange...
People should be able to joke about everything and if not than Non-American people shouldn't be allowed to make American jokes, Non-Dutch people shouldn't be allowed to make Dutch jokes etc..

A Dutch man sees a man on his knees using his hand to drink water from one of Amsterdam’s canal.

He walks up to him and says in Dutch “Hey – you can’t drink that water, it’s dirty and will make you sick”.

The tourist shouts back in German: “Was sagen Sie?“ (What are you saying?)

The Dutch man responds in German: “Sie sollen mit zwei haende trinken, das geht besser!” (Use both hands, it’s much better!”)

mayor
Feb 27, 2012, 05:07 AM
:lol: my point exactly

Arakhor
Feb 27, 2012, 05:34 AM
That's mean. :)

mayor
Feb 27, 2012, 05:40 AM
yes, yes it is. But it is also funny

Traitorfish
Feb 27, 2012, 09:39 AM
Yes, it would be nice if there was no such thing as history.

SS-18 ICBM
Feb 27, 2012, 01:26 PM
A Dutch man sees a man on his knees using his hand to drink water from one of Amsterdam’s canal.

He walks up to him and says in Dutch “Hey – you can’t drink that water, it’s dirty and will make you sick”.

The tourist shouts back in German: “Was sagen Sie?“ (What are you saying?)

The Dutch man responds in German: “Sie sollen mit zwei haende trinken, das geht besser!” (Use both hands, it’s much better!”)
Why do the Dutch hate the Germans? Historical reasons?

mayor
Feb 27, 2012, 02:08 PM
We don't hate the Germans.... well not any more :mischief:

It's part historical as in WOII and Dutch have a bit of an inferiority complex towards Germany our BIG neighbour of whom our economy depends.
But I think the most important reason is the fact that they beat us in the final of the World Football championship in '74 with 1-2 :p

west india man
Feb 27, 2012, 02:38 PM
So do old Dutch football fans hate all of Germany, or just West Germany? :mischief:

mayor
Feb 27, 2012, 02:49 PM
well, all of them off course!!! All Germans are the same!!!

:p

PlutonianEmpire
Mar 01, 2012, 12:32 AM
What's the point of international student exchange programs?

Cutlass
Mar 01, 2012, 08:39 AM
What's the point of international student exchange programs?

Just to give students a wider experience with the world.

rugbyLEAGUEfan
Mar 01, 2012, 04:31 PM
Why is white rice overwhelmingly more popular in the third world than brown rice ? Brown rice is more nutritious and less labour intensive to produce . I'd have thought that these factors would outweigh any taste preference for white .

say1988
Mar 01, 2012, 04:37 PM
White rice has a much longer shelf life.

rugbyLEAGUEfan
Mar 01, 2012, 04:40 PM
Thank you . How come ?

say1988
Mar 01, 2012, 04:44 PM
Because it is the stuff that is good for you that goes bad first.

There are also probably historical and cultural reasons to prefer white rice in some places. And possibly other rational reasons.

I don't know if this applies to all rice, but at least with instant rice, it takes much longer to prepare brown then white. Which could be an issue somewhere that fuel and electricity are hard to come by.

rugbyLEAGUEfan
Mar 01, 2012, 04:47 PM
Dude , your knowledge of nasi is neat

MagisterCultuum
Mar 01, 2012, 06:48 PM
One reason why healthier food tend to have a shorter shelf life is that microbes need balanced diets just like we do. The exact nutrients required may vary, but it remains very hard to survive on pure carbohydrates, pure protein, or pure fat.

I was thinking that white rice was almost pure carbohydrates while brown rice has more fat and protein, but a quick search reveals that that is wrong. The only significant difference is fiber.

say1988
Mar 01, 2012, 06:54 PM
Dude , your knowledge of nasi is neat

Nasi?

I just know a couple pieces of useless trivia and have a bit of experience cooking rice. I don't know diddly about rice. Nor do I really care to know more (I don't mind learning about it, but have no motivation).

The germ is what I believe goes bad more quickly in brown rice and is what is removed to produce white rice.

rugbyLEAGUEfan
Mar 01, 2012, 07:01 PM
Nasi . "Rice"in Bahasa Indonesia and possibly Malay . You've probably heard of nasi goreng ? Interestingly , it's only the word for rice if it's part of a meal . They have numerous ways of describing rice depending on context . Growing in a field for instance is not a nasi paddy .

Sorry , Indonesia is right next door and I assume incorrectly that more is known about the place sometimes . Like Mexico to Americans .

Verarde
Mar 02, 2012, 11:19 AM
Can someone help me with this problem?

Solve for v...
t = 2u+2v

My order of ops went like:
t = 2(u+v) ; reverse distribute
t/2 = u+v ; divide by two on both sides
(t/2)-u = v ; subtract u on both sides, leaving v alone

But the answer key showed:
t-2u=2v
(t-2u)/2 = 2v/2
(t-2u)/2 = v

Where did I go wrong?

SS-18 ICBM
Mar 02, 2012, 11:25 AM
(t/2)-u = (t-2u)/2

Just convert the u into 2u on the left expression with the common denominator of 2.

Verarde
Mar 02, 2012, 11:27 AM
Okay, thanks. So what I did was go one step further by going about the problem a different way.

Synsensa
Mar 05, 2012, 01:54 AM
Does anyone know of any good, free, and online-accessible books, preferably written in the past 20 years?

Just about any book I come across is from the late 1800s/early 1900s and looks like it was written by a five year old.

Gamemaster77
Mar 05, 2012, 02:48 AM
Well that depends a lot on what genre of book your looking for.

aronnax
Mar 05, 2012, 07:40 AM
Is it me or is Off-Topic a little empty today?

taillesskangaru
Mar 05, 2012, 08:01 AM

CFC in general is eerily quiet after The Great Downtime.

Cutlass
Mar 05, 2012, 08:01 AM

Has been getting emptier since the server problems started. Probably longer that that, going back near 2 years now.

Does anyone know of any good, free, and online-accessible books, preferably written in the past 20 years?

Just about any book I come across is from the late 1800s/early 1900s and looks like it was written by a five year old.

What types of books? The sci fi and fantasy publishing company Baen has a free library (http://www.baen.com/library/) of some of their novels.

aronnax
Mar 05, 2012, 08:25 AM
But it's incredibly eerie today, like, only 7 threads updated in the last hour eerie. And the Server outrage was two days ago.

CKS
Mar 05, 2012, 08:29 AM
In addition, Baen is giving away lots of stuff to share on CDs with their hardbacks. With Baen's approval, they are available at http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/ and there are a lot there, although there aren't a lot of different authors.

This is read an e-book week, and a bunch of places are offering free ebooks to celebrate (see www.ebookweek.com for details). I have no idea of the quality.

Should series romances be your idea of a good read, Harlequin gives away zillions of them.

Synsensa
Mar 05, 2012, 10:01 AM
I generally opt for mystery crime books or sci-fi. Thanks for the links guys.

bombshoo
Mar 05, 2012, 11:09 AM
Is there a good way to search for youtube videos in only a certain language? I want to limit my results to French language videos only.

Flying Pig
Mar 05, 2012, 11:21 AM
But it's incredibly eerie today, like, only 7 threads updated in the last hour eerie. And the Server outrage was two days ago.

Aye; my subscribed threads box was empty for the first time in months yesterday evening.

say1988
Mar 05, 2012, 11:33 AM
I would note that they appear to have changed some software. Threads I have not looked at are showing up a read my next visit.

Gamemaster77
Mar 05, 2012, 09:43 PM
I generally opt for mystery crime books or sci-fi. Thanks for the links guys.

Ever read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series? Some of the things in there are hilarious if you like comedy too.

Verarde
Mar 06, 2012, 12:18 PM
I have a weird issue...images from other places, images that I haven't seen before, some I have, are showing up all over the Internet:

Example A. Half of Neal Morse's first solo album and what appears to be a Star Wars picture have replaced the :agree: and [pissed] smilies on CFC.
http://i.imgur.com/wSUq6.png

I was hoping that it would just be CFC affected, but no. It soon spread to Twitter.

Example B. The :gripe: smilie (fully animated, no less) is now in the upper left corner of my Twitter feed.
http://i.imgur.com/DEw2g.png

Example C. Some images on the Polycast website are appearing as broken, and others have pictures of people that I do not know.
http://i.imgur.com/f7xqk.png

No screenshot, but another example is that a friend's facebook page shows his avatar as a pic of Carl Palmer, but when clicked on, is his normal picture. Coincidentally (or not) I had wiki'd Carl Palmer yesterday and saw the exact same picture.

I am running a full scan on my computer to see if any viruses have infected it, but my question is this:

What is happening, and how do I stop it before it plagues the rest of my computer?

Cutlass
Mar 06, 2012, 12:23 PM
That seems like it has to be a virus of some sort. Never seen anything like it.

Verarde
Mar 06, 2012, 12:36 PM
Cleared my cache, and everything is back to normal.

aimeeandbeatles
Mar 07, 2012, 01:41 PM
Why would thousands of birds be sleeping in a parking lot? It wasnt a feed factory or anything like that. Please don't mention that movie.

NickyJ
Mar 07, 2012, 01:46 PM
Why would thousands of birds be sleeping in a parking lot? It wasnt a feed factory or anything like that. Please don't mention that movie.
French fries, bread, or other foods that The Birds like?

aimeeandbeatles
Mar 07, 2012, 01:51 PM
No. It was a textile plant or something.

Cutlass
Mar 07, 2012, 05:04 PM
No. It was a textile plant or something.

The pavement was probably warm compared to fields in the area.

Gamemaster77
Mar 07, 2012, 08:23 PM
French fries, bread, or other foods that The Birds like?

I see what you did there.:)

flyingchicken
Mar 08, 2012, 12:32 PM
To all you wrinkly old people out there, what did you think of the mouse wheel when it first started appearing?