View Full Version : Term 1 - Fanatikou Science- Give Peace A Chance?

Stuck_as_a_Mac
Feb 21, 2003, 06:48 PM
Welcome to the scientific birth of Fanatikou. We need to first set a goal. More to come later

Subliminal Message: Give Peace a Chance!

A reminder: China, I mean Fanatikou, starts with knowlede of Warrior Code and Masonry. The FuOS recomends researching bronze working.

Goonie
Feb 21, 2003, 06:51 PM
May I suggest the path to the Great Library?

Stuck_as_a_Mac
Feb 21, 2003, 06:55 PM
Goonie- when I held science *ahem* hostage *cough* T1 of Fanatika, (till strider got out of the hospital), I sugested a GL path, but we ended up doing iron working absolutly first.

WildFire
Feb 21, 2003, 07:25 PM
Ok, bronze working is the probably a good choice for the fist tech.

But if iron working was so important before, are we going to go from BW straight to iron working?

CivGeneral
Feb 21, 2003, 07:51 PM
Bronze working is important right now since we need good defenders at the start :).

BTW, Stuck there is a Discussion Registery :). Ill post this disscussion thread's link to it :).

Grandmaster
Feb 21, 2003, 08:37 PM
We need bronze working, yes, but judging from our start position, I am unsure if iron working will provide any immediate benefit. We don't have many hills or mountains, so iron is likely not anywhere nearby (at least from what we've seen so far.) Let's try something different and go for the GL for a change. :)

Goonie
Feb 22, 2003, 08:07 AM
SaAM, have you looked into setting the science slider at 100%?

Grandmaster
Feb 22, 2003, 08:25 AM
When we have 1 city, I don't think 100% changes the time at all.... as long as its above 0 we still research, but the lower it is the more money we get with the same research time. I think we should keep it at 10% for now.

gunning1
Feb 22, 2003, 08:29 AM
The science was set at 100% (I think) and (I think) it was going to be researched in 18 turns. (I think) ;)

Grandmaster
Feb 22, 2003, 08:31 AM
Really? Whenever I set it at 100% with only 1 city it almost always takes a full 40 turns..... weird. It that case, go for the 100%. :)

Stuck_as_a_Mac
Feb 22, 2003, 03:09 PM
My apologies for not responding sooner. I was at rehersal.
Anyways, Bronze it is! And i think 100 is fine.

Cheetah
Feb 24, 2003, 09:49 AM
I think Grandmaster has a point about Iron Working. And since this isn't emperor level against AIs, we might have a shot for the Great Library.

Stuck_as_a_Mac
Feb 24, 2003, 09:52 AM
we do have a shot for the GL, but we must remember we are playing against some of the best of the other sites.

Cheetah
Feb 24, 2003, 09:54 AM
But then again we are a part of those best sites, i presume. And if everyone is thinking someone else will get the GL then maybe noone will go for it, thus - an easy wonder for us :D

Stuck_as_a_Mac
Feb 24, 2003, 10:36 AM
You have a small, odd point there. Most of these players most likely dont go for the GL. Well, we will see what the generator has in the cards.

gunning1
Feb 24, 2003, 10:36 AM
Some will be going for Iron, some will be going for the GL, and some will be going for other techs to trade with, but if we are going for the military way, we should go for Iron. If we don't think we can keep up in techs, we should go for the GL, and if we want to trade, we should go for other techs...

But I think we should go for the GL at the highest possible rate because if we get it, we can just about stop research and get techs for free so we can work on military, cities, or whatever we need the gold for.

TheDuckOfFlanders
Feb 25, 2003, 09:04 AM
I think we should refrain from building the GL ,and go millitary all the way ,with researching Iron indeed.I can assure you that we arn't playing against some easy AI here ,were surrounded by groups of very eperienced players ,who understand the need for a fine millitary in mp ,and probbably will use it to try to conquer area's.In any case i expect a very bloody game ,with a huge number of wars ,we must be preparred for that.Not only that we need a large millitary ,but also alliances with other nation's are vital to our survival.Even with a huge army we'll probably won't be able to stop 3 civ's attacking us.

The GL ,we might try to conquer it anyway.Other tech's may be aquired by diplomacy anyway ,since all the civ's are human one's.But producing it ourself's ,i think that's not only a waste of recource's ,but would also make us an interresting target for the other civ's to attack.I can assure you that most civ's will want to wage war on us when we complete GL ,and i fear that the civ building the GL will get isolated from the start ,making it doomed to have almost all civ's waging war on it.

Go millitary all the way ,we'll need it.Let's be a happy warmongering bunch.If we research iron working early ,we'll know where iron can be found ,a vital resource to survive this game.
We better try to research every millitary advance as ASAP ,i know some other civ's that will.

Don't give peace a chance ,no other civ will neither ,or they will be dead meat for the warmonger's.I know for ex. the GC team will go warmongering directly at start ,i know these guys very well and i know there strategy's ,since i played some mp games against their leader's in the past ,and they are almost all warmongers themselfs (like me ,and warmongering has proven to be most of the times the best civ strategy ,especially in mp)

Stuck_as_a_Mac
Feb 25, 2003, 06:56 PM
Convincing. Schviag the GL (Schviag is NOT a swear, more like a made up word in place of a swear.). Bronze->Iron, followed by Wheel, Pottery, Horseback, Alphabet, Map Making.
Thats my proposal

Grandmaster
Feb 25, 2003, 07:14 PM
Well, it feels good to have people playing my style of game. I was willing to give peace a chance for once, but if people want an army, let's give 'em an army! Devlop bronze, then iron, then horses, then let's roll over all before us!

Noldodan
Feb 25, 2003, 07:18 PM
Schviag! reminds me of my own interjection, snaff. as to making an army, most of the other teams will *probably* be going the same route, making the greatest determining factor luck, *shrugs* and some strategy thrown in for spice.

Grandmaster
Feb 25, 2003, 07:34 PM
And the best way to get lucky is to manufacture that luck yourself and wield it against the enemy with unwavering aggression. Let put everything we can into taking and holding a scientific edge, so we can take advantage of those forests to build a high-tech war machine to trample our enemies. After all, war is the art of combining training and technology.

TheDuckOfFlanders
Feb 25, 2003, 07:46 PM
And you will always find other civ's preparred ot trade for millitary technoligy ,if they don't have it themselfs.I say let's research every millitary tech ASAP.

WildFire
Feb 25, 2003, 07:47 PM
So what after Bronze working? Iron working followed by The Wheel and Horseback Riding? And than maybe trade for alphabet and writing?

TheDuckOfFlanders
Feb 25, 2003, 07:49 PM
That would be the idea IMHO.
And maybe we don't even have to trade these tech's.You know what a strong millitary can do. :D

Grandmaster
Feb 25, 2003, 08:00 PM
Yeah, when give them something in return, when we can take it from them by force? If they need to trade for bronze or iron, then we know their military is so weak that we can crush them, and as such should. Trade is good, but the spoils of war are better.

Noldodan
Feb 25, 2003, 08:07 PM
You speak of researching military techs first, while keeping the technological edge... IMPOSSIBLE! You need the non-mil techs to keep up with science, by building libraries and more importantly, change governments.

Grandmaster
Feb 25, 2003, 08:11 PM
Yeah, but if they research non-mil techs, we can keep the MILITARY TECHNOLOGICAL edge by researching them when they aren't, so we have them and they don't. Then we can bully them into giving us the non-mil techs. ;)

Noldodan
Feb 25, 2003, 08:18 PM
If you look at the foreign affairs thread, it seems that we have two radically different strategies being contemplated. Make lots of friends and only declare war when it REALLY looks good, or this route, being a warmongering civ and getting everyone else to hate us and gang up on us. Choices, choices...

Grandmaster
Feb 25, 2003, 08:21 PM
Humans don't play like AI. We won't have a real hardcoded reputation. If we can convince a couple of teams that their would be something in it for them if we warred with the other civs, then we wouldn't have to worry about being teamed up on. Launching a sneak attack doesn't make other civs hate us; if we say to the defending civ's other neighbors "OK, we'll sneak attack over here, and the next turn you can attack an undefended flank there, and we'll divide the country in half," they won't mind our irreputable deeds. Plus, humans are smart enough to know not to gang up on a militarilly dominant civ.

Noldodan
Feb 25, 2003, 08:23 PM
huh. I had always thought that 3 against 1 was unfair odds. Silly me.

Grandmaster
Feb 25, 2003, 08:38 PM
They are unfair. But as long as they're in our favor, it's not a problem, correct?

TheDuckOfFlanders
Feb 25, 2003, 08:39 PM
I agree on that all with you grandmaster.Well have to be flexible ,opportunistic and cotious.Make a good coalition ,make sure our millitary power is more than adequate ,and then start a war or join a war ,toghether with our allies ,and try to take parts of the isolated civ and split it up while maintaining a sort of status quo.
Diplomacy will be very dangerous and we'll have to be carefull ,but when it come's to taking land we also have to make sure we can grow like the others do ,so that we don't fall behind.

Noldodan
Feb 25, 2003, 08:43 PM
ah. But here comes the real question. Why would anyone ally with us, as we would get *most* of the spoils of war, and eventually beat them. Remember, the other teams are out to WIN, not to help others win.

Grandmaster
Feb 25, 2003, 08:44 PM
The good thing about MP games when it comes to war is that you can do abstract diplomacy. In the game, there is no way to say "OK, I'll take this half, you take that half, and we'll destroy them," or "OK, don't join their side and you'll get x number of cities." However, through the diplo chat or on forums, we can say just that, and make better deals, as well as coordinate plans. I agree with Duck that we need to pick a few nations early on to build a permanent coalition, and then be opportunistic scavengers, preying on the weak civs with the help of our allies.

TheDuckOfFlanders
Feb 25, 2003, 08:49 PM
ah. But here comes the real question. Why would anyone ally with us, as we would get *most* of the spoils of war, and eventually beat them. Remember, the other teams are out to WIN, not to help others win.

Indeed ,but we are 8 team's ,no team can beat the other 7 teams just on there own ,or they would need some extreme luck on certain area's.
At the start ,most team's will find it interresting to have an ally for the same reason's we want them.To beat other ,isolated nation's togheter and to split up their territory.This mean's expansion for both nation's and opponent's less ,and making those nations stronger than the ones not having conquerd anything yet.But when time come's that only a few powerfull nation's stay alive ,all hell will brake loose.It will be hard to come out the smartes out of that situation.

Hygro
Mar 03, 2003, 04:01 AM
Though I completely understand why we must have a powerful, up-to-date military, isn't much of the fun in the on-edge diplomacy, not the "I'm killing you and you can't stop me!" diplomacy?

However, when we get our Fanatical Riders, we ought to use them ;)

Plux
Mar 03, 2003, 04:13 AM
I don't think that scientific and foreign affairs policy discussion belong in one thread.

TheDuckOfFlanders
Mar 03, 2003, 07:44 AM
I don't think that scientific and foreign affairs policy discussion belong in one thread.

You must admit that the thread title is confusing though. :rolleyes:

Besides ,science is a part of the big picture.We must decide our scientific goal's according to the needs of our general strategy ,whatever it should be.Personally i agree i'm more of a warmongerer type ,but even if youre a more peacefull player ,you have to be realistic ,we are entering a battle arena and were better perpared for the onslaught.