View Full Version : TSG30 After Action Report

leif erikson
Feb 15, 2012, 08:30 AM
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG30 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

Please use the Civ5 game submission page (http://gotm.civfanatics.net/submit/c5-gotm.php) to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

mike678
Feb 15, 2012, 02:25 PM
Game: Civ5 GOTM 30
Date submitted: 2012-02-15
Reference number: 25705
Your name: mike678
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1864AD
Turns played: 302
Base score: 942
Final score: 1570
Time played: 2:56:00

Biggest problem was research agreements as every one was broke almost the entire game lol. I actually beat the game before I finished sydney to give you an idea :/.

Basicly went for all the useful early wonders then spammed 5 or 6 hoplites to conquer darius and own the island. Then sim citied till I won.

Also I have no problem playing easier difficulties because not every one can beat the harder ones but if you make it warlord can you make sure its not a archipelago. The reason I ask is because the only ai unit to come onto my island was 1 scout.

nea*Nicu
Feb 15, 2012, 02:26 PM
Reference number: 25706
Your name: ladia74
Game date: 1906AD
Turns played: 326
Base score: 951
Final score: 1463
Time played: 2:09:00
Submitted save: GOTM30_0326 AD-1906.Civ5Save
Renamed file: ladia74_C503001.Civ5Save

Playing for some time on higher levels I forgot how friendly the AIs are on warlord.
It was a pleasant game, I attacked and puppeted Darius cities and than stayed peacefully on my island, selling luxuries and buying CSs (of course I sent a caravel as soon as possible to meet the others).
I probably did a mistake staying with only 2 cities (+3 puppets) because my science was low and RAs could not compensate entirely. As a consequence, I could only build Sidney Opera House very late. On the bright side, I finished the game with +726 culture/turn and allied with all CSs.
As I said, easy but relaxed and pleasant game.

mike678
Feb 15, 2012, 02:36 PM
I probably did a mistake staying with only 2 cities (+3 puppets) because my science was low and RAs could not compensate entirely. As a consequence, I could only build Sidney Opera House very late. On the bright side, I finished the game with +726 culture/turn and allied with all CSs.
As I said, easy but relaxed and pleasant game.

That's basically what I did too (2 cities 3 puppets) . I didn't realize that research agreements would be so few and far between. Since that was an issue I grabed that rationalism science policy quite early and made sure to grab all the maritime city states so I could grow as tall as possible.

trueblue
Feb 15, 2012, 06:56 PM
Turn 306. Culture. Alexander.

It can be done quicker.

3 cities but one was plopped after opera houses and the hermitage.

Only signed 3/4 RA's the whole game. I never even made it as far up the tree as the Cristo Rendator and obviously the sydney opera house.

Got all the other culture wonders. and most of the rest. headed straight for the Lourve.

legalism trick for opera houses.

lots of culture CS's and most close by. allied as soon as i could afford.

only had one late late war. with persia. maybe i should have puppeted them earlier to maybe shave a view turns off through their eventual culture, infact i should have, the gold hit military wise would have been very short term.

culture is maybe the hardest win condition to speed up. earlier RA's to the lourve, get them built earlier. fill the slots up ealier. ally CS's earlier. more gold needed. i did miss out on machu picchu.

Reference number: 25710

Game date: 1872AD
Turns played: 306
Base score: 901
Final score: 1477
Time played: 1:55:00
Submitted save: GOTM30Save.Civ5Save
Renamed file: trueblue_C503001.Civ5Save

mike678
Feb 15, 2012, 07:16 PM
only had one late late war. with persia. maybe i should have puppeted them earlier to maybe shave a view turns off through their eventual culture, infact i should have, the gold hit military wise would have been very short term.

I'm surprised you let them live on the same island as you. What did you do instead or did they not mass expand for you? The only thought in my mind was killing them immediately but you still basically had the same amount of turns as I did.

Largio
Feb 16, 2012, 07:56 AM
Your name: Largio
Game date: 1836AD
Turns played: 288
Base score: 1024
Final score: 1796
Time played: 1:55:00

Had a pretty good game. Went straigth for the Stonehenge and GL. Bulbed Philosophy with GL and built the Oracle. After Mining beelined to horseback riding, built/bougth 4 companion cavalrys and puppeted Persia.

Settled 1 additional city myself. After Persia focused on cultural buildings and wonders. Used GS for Acoustics and rushed the Sistine Chaple. Another GE went for the Notre Dame due to the unhappines from puppeting Persian cities. Probably should have saved the other GE for Utopia (not sure but i think Utopia can be rushed unlike the other projects??). Hoped for a third GE from a city state but got a GG and a GS and used them for GA's.

Detoured to Economics before Archeology which may have been a mistake. Focused on producing artist's and had 6 landmarks near Athens and 4 near Sparta by the end. Landmarks were mostly on the hills (not sure if ideal) and mined them again for Utopia.

I didn't sign any RA's and spent all the gold allying first the cultured city states and marinetimes next. Towards the end had a plenty of surplus gold but didn't bother with RA's because I felt it was too late for them to have any effect.

leif erikson
Feb 16, 2012, 08:22 AM
Had a pretty good game.
:goodjob: Congratulations.

Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :salute:

Largio
Feb 16, 2012, 09:40 AM
:

Thanks!

numaru7
Feb 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
Date submitted: 2012-02-16
Reference number: 25718
Your name: numaru7
Your email: -
Game date: 1904AD
Turns played: 324
Base score: 1264
Final score: 1975
Time played: 1:53:00
Submitted save: TSG30_Turn324_CultWIN.Civ5Save
Renamed file: numaru7_C503001.Civ5Save

Stayed on 1 City too long to build wonders - should have made 3-4 and build wonders in all...it was warlord ..duhh. Anyway.. puppet'ed darius' 3 Cities, and eliminated him, build 3 cities of my own, conquered Egypt but left him 1 city.
Was too slow to build astro and explore and forgot the importance of the louvre(even though i had 2 Gs's ready as astro finished for some reason).
Went trad, liberty, finished piety, finished freedom, finished patronage, and then finished trad and lib too.

Prod was horrible - built the Utopia in 16-17 turns, maybe if i hadn't squandered the GE's...and settled them instead it would have been better.

Monthar
Feb 16, 2012, 02:24 PM
Date submitted: 2012-02-16
Reference number: 25720
Your name: Monthar
Game date: 1852AD
Turns played: 296
Base score: 1194
Final score: 2023
Time played: 5:28:00
Submitted save: TSG30_Cultural_Victory_T296.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Monthar_C503001.Civ5Save

I settle on the forested hill next to the mountains and built 3 more cities, mainly to get the max benefit from the free cultural buildings policy. 2nd city on the northern coast for the sugar, 3rd city down south for another spice and 4th city for the whales to the west of the 2nd city. The 3 coastal cities were places to get at least 3 sea resources each and all 3 got both harbor and seaport.

I had a few wars with Persia, mainly to capture their settlers so I wouldn't have to build/buy any workers after the free one. I had 2 wars with Egypt. The first I took one city plus the capital then offered a white peace which he accepted. This war was mainly to get some marble and cotton since Rams had been hostile for a while. The 2nd war with Egypt was just to have something to do while Utopia finished.

I took a GE from Liberty and HS to rush a wonder in 2 of my coastal cities. I only popped 2 GS's, both times with a GA. The first time was purely on accident and the 2nd time I planned for it. I popped 9 GA's, plus the 2 from the Louvre for 10 landmarks and 1 golden age. The 9'th GA popped just before starting Utopia so I saved it for a golden age.

Policies were Tradition opener, Liberty opener, free worker, free settler, All of Piety, Freedom opener, Tradition's 4 free cultural buildings (opera houses), Freedom's +2 culture per wonder, finished Liberty, Finished Freedom, finished Tradition, All of Commerce, left side first for the bonus production in 3 of my 4 core cities. My 2nd policy during the Renaissance was for the 4 free opera houses. It would have been my first but the last temple wasn't quite done yet.

I'm sure I could have finished the game much earlier, but I didn't have any coal to rush a factory and none of my CS allies were providing any and none of the AI civs had any. I suppose I could have built a settler and had it standing by to grab coal when I unlocked it, but I didn't want another city slowing my policies down.

Overall, I'm fairly happy with how I did. I don't recall the last time I managed a sub 300 cultural win, or if I have ever done so.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=313980&stc=1&d=1329424585

numaru7
Feb 16, 2012, 04:14 PM
Second try - Turn 309 - no war this time, max 4-5 RA's - used all the money to take all CS's - went a bit overboard with cult prod .. got it to +900/turn, but ofc tweaked it down in the end for prod. Only Had 100 prod in main city...so 15 turns for Utopia.. railroads didn't help :) ... got Golden Age + coal (at last) from all the Cs's some 2 turns into production and shaved off some 4-5 turns. If i would have had the Statue of liberty it would have been much better... but.. didn't have time to tech that too.. maybe if i made more Ra's...

Will upload this one too later.

leif erikson
Feb 16, 2012, 08:24 PM
Will upload this one too later.
Please upload only your first attempt. Sorry, second ones do not count... :)

LTJG Perry
Feb 17, 2012, 12:39 AM
Culture Victory
Game date: 1952AD
Turns played: 372

Tradition,Lib,Pat,Comm,Piety

someone has to be last. sigh

3 cities, puppetted 3 Persian cities, 4 Egyptian ones toward the end.Allied every CS for virtually the entire game. 3RA's with Persia, 1 with France. Very few other wars on the map. Aztec v Russia for a bit.

Got every WW made, except 3,and 2 of those i captured at Perspolis.

used the Free Religion to pop my last SP to build Utopia. and opened Freedom before it was built.

Everything seemed to be going swell really, timing wise. I did lose an early pop from carelessness in switching focus, that set me back some, but clearly there were other techniques I could have used.

Coolest new event for me: Ancient Ruins >> A Knight found Advanced Weapons to become a Cavalry!

shooter6947
Feb 17, 2012, 01:34 AM
Date submitted: 2012-02-17
Reference number: 25725
Your name: shooter6947
Game date: 1968AD
Turns played: 388
Base score: 1395
Final score: 1811
Time played: 3:05:00

Not quite on turn 500, but not far from 400. Ran an embarassingly incompetent early war vs. Darius -- almost had Persepolis, but lost all my melee units. Had to pull back and regroup. Natch he built walls in the interim. Lost about 500-1000 years on this one.

Also gave him time to found this really annoying city on the island off the NE coast:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=314012&stc=1&d=1329463789

Finally got that one by using that Citadel right on the point 2-hexes from Pasargadae. I call this a 'terrorist training camp'. Basically I cycled my units through that square, allowing Pasargadae to attack them to increase their experience. Then when they get low on health I swap another unit in while the first heals. Using this I was able to finally get archers with 'range'; once they got two-attacks-per-turn, too, it was over fast. But not fast enough.

Once that war was over, moved to improving my economy. Eventually did pretty well, like most people. The Greek UA is totally unfair. Worked great in this game, though. I hope to learn from others how they did this faster!

numaru7
Feb 17, 2012, 07:15 AM
Please upload only your first attempt. Sorry, second ones do not count... :)

yup, that was my first attempt, and i can see that you can't upload another one too...

leif erikson
Feb 17, 2012, 08:23 AM
yup, that was my first attempt, and i can see that you can't upload another one too...
:thanx:
Second try
Sorry, I misunderstood this from your post above. Apologies.

mike678
Feb 17, 2012, 10:40 AM
Once that war was over, moved to improving my economy. Eventually did pretty well, like most people. The Greek UA is totally unfair. Worked great in this game, though. I hope to learn from others how they did this faster!

Yea those 1 tile islands are annoying to capture. A suggestion for next time is just to leave him. Its not like that city will be able to produce anything. At that point he was basically dead.

As for doing it faster what I did was settle my city next to the mountain for the tech boost. Then I occ'ed till I was ready to take out persia. I hit him with 6 hoplites making sure to heal between each city. After when I had the island to my self I just teched purely science as I knew I was never going to be attacked. I also made sure to get the 25% science bonus policy from city states.

LTJG Perry
Feb 17, 2012, 01:26 PM
My Persia had a city there too, I was very tempted to culture bomb him to no production but I did the smart thing and landmarked like I was supposed to. Love the training camp!

How does he make a city only 3 hex from Persep?

leif erikson
Feb 17, 2012, 02:19 PM
How does he make a city only 3 hex from Persep?
The ocean hexes do not seem to count for the distance of 4 hexes.

leif erikson
Feb 17, 2012, 11:05 PM
Patch version ver 1.0.1.511 has been released.

Alan is checking on the save file's compatibility. If you have a problem uploading through the submission system, please post here . :thanx:

edit - update:

Hey guys,

Earlier today, a build of Civilization V that was meant for our QA department mistakenly got released as a patch for Civilization V. We have since rolled back the patch. Sorry about getting you all excited for a new patch, but this thing definitely needs more time in the oven before we release it. Those of you who did fire up the game during the accidental window should consider yourselves treated to a sneak peek of things to come ;)

edit2 - further update: for those that got the patch by mistake.

Thanks for letting us know. Is there a way to "remove" the patch without re-downloading the game or re-installing from a backup?

The game should roll back to its previous version automatically, exactly the same as a patch is normally applied. Sometimes the patches don't go out to all users at the exact same time, and I believe restarting Steam should kick-start it in to making sure it's up to date.

Let me know if that seems to not be the case and I'll follow up.

Sprenk
Feb 18, 2012, 10:38 AM
Date submitted: 2012-02-18
Your name: Sprenk
Game date: 1936AD
Turns played: 356
Base score: 626
Final score: 881

Feeble. But I learned a lot.

bluexmas
Feb 18, 2012, 11:51 AM
Date submitted: 2012-02-18
Reference number: 25736
Your name: bluexmas
Game date: 1905AD
Turns played: 325
Base score: 877
Final score: 1349
Time played: 2:55:00
Submitted save: TSG30_Start.Civ5Save
Renamed file: bluexmas_C503001.Civ5Save

First file submission, though I've been playing along with these for some time. I got a little lazy at times because after I puppeted Darius, no one came to the Island for the rest of the game. Sometimes I need tougher competition to inspire me to greatness. Or something like that. Biggest mistake was only building one city (and one that wasn't on the coast at that). While I had great science from the observatory and some academies, I was severely hampered in my exploration of the map (and in making CS allies). Given the handicap of my stupidity in this game, I think it turned out ok.

leif erikson
Feb 18, 2012, 02:51 PM
First file submission, though I've been playing along with these for some time.
Congrats on your win :thumbsup: and welcome to GOTM. :wavey:

TyfoonTurk
Feb 18, 2012, 04:08 PM
turn 323, no allies and 3 cities

Brigg
Feb 18, 2012, 07:22 PM
Turn 316
I settled 2 cities and took no puppets.
I topped out at 723 culture, with 9 GA settled.
I harassed Persia a couple times, mainly stealing the 5 workers.

Zilkin
Feb 19, 2012, 10:51 AM
Date submitted: 2012-02-19
Reference number: 25746
Your name: Zilkin
Game date: 1920AD
Turns played: 340
Base score: 1187
Final score: 1745
Time played: 2:56:00

My first ever Civ 5 GoTM, and only I've played couple it times on Civ 4 either. Was also my first Civ 5 culture victory ever so I basically had no idea what I was doing except to only have few cities (4 + 1 puppet) and search the tech tree for which wonders to aim for.

My biggest mistake was forgetting to actually change my cities to culture focus until almost at the end :lol: having remembered that would have at least let me win in the 19th century. I also should have explored the whole world sooner to find all the city states.

Basically I met Persia almost immediatly, and having explored to island I decided it wasn't big enough for the both of us. So I started war using hoplites and archers razing, puppeting and capturing on city each. Persia fell without almost any resistance. After that it was just building lots of wonders and getting as much gold as possible for the bribes and pressing the next turn button till the end. I had huge tech lead the whole game which allowed me to easily secure all the wonders I wanted. Thats about it was fun for sure and hopefully this ain't the first and last Civ GoTM for me!

clint0601
Feb 19, 2012, 11:56 AM
Your name: clint0601
Game date: 1858AD
Turns played: 299
Base score: 971
Final score: 1645
Time played: 2:10:00

Looking at everyone else's games, I'm proud of my sub-300 win (Barely! I was lucky that my CSs got coal so i could rush a factory while finishing the utopia)

Used Legalism for Broadcast Towers, i went 3 Liberty => Piety => Patronage => 2 Liberty => Freedom => Tradition. Using Legalism at the end was awesome :D

leif erikson
Feb 19, 2012, 01:17 PM
Thats about it was fun for sure and hopefully this ain't the first and last Civ GoTM for me!
Thank you for joining us. Glad you enjoyed it. Welcome to GOTM :wavey:

And a win makes it all that much better, congrats. :)

IR0NMIKE
Feb 19, 2012, 04:34 PM
Your name: IR0NMIKE
Game date: 1896AD
Turns played: 318
Base score: 823
Final score: 1306
Time played: 3:16:00
-------------
Started with 2 cities early, in hindsight a 3rd when I hit legalism for the oprahouse would have shaved off time....and buying military states after culture and maritime as they would have contributed to science production..

Never did go to war with Persia, just blocked border early.

With steam power none of the CS were giving out their coal - darn environmentalists. I sent the Coal Miner's Union local 100 with a convincer to Ragusa and soon there was plenty of coal.

Grifftavian
Feb 19, 2012, 10:14 PM
Your name: Grifftavian
Game date: 1993AD
Turns played: 413
Base score: 929
Final score: 1132

Settled in place. Most of game was with 3 Cities + 3 Puppets. Only one early war with Darius to claim the home continent. Razed his second city so I could build Sparta next to the horses. Made a mistake by razing another of his cities, which would have been a 4th Puppet.

Social Policies: Took Tradition opener as first SP, and Oligarchy next. Then took Honor opener and a couple of Honor SPs to help with the fight against Darius. Finished the remaining Tradition SPs, then took all of the Patronage SPs, which help with being allies with all of the Cultural City States in the game. I took the Freedom opener next, followed by Honor/Professional Army before starting on Piety, which may have been a mistake (not starting Piety sooner).

Balibar
Feb 20, 2012, 11:02 AM
I researched Sailing first. I built scout then monument. I hit 3 ruins getting Mining with the first one, upgrade of my scout to archer with the second and a population increase with the third. I had hoped for a culture ruin on the island. At turn 20 I considered 3 different lines. The first line was to research optics and go for ruins to catch up on techs in other lines. The second line was to build a trireme then the Great Lighthouse, but research to masonry. The third line was to build a trireme then a settler in order to have 3 quick cities and block Darius.

The best option was to build a trireme then Great Lighthouse. I declared war on Darius when I spotted his first settler and stole the settler and another worker. I killed his warrior but nothing else happened in that war. He asked for peace giving me everything, which was open borders, his money and his gold production. He had no resources at that point.

I settled the coastal hill near the horses for Sparta with the settler from Liberty and built a settler after Great Lighthouse and settled on the spice to the East of Athens for Corinth. This blocked Darius from settling any more cities.

My trireme discovered Civs which I sold resources to and, more importantly, the city states. 30 gold per discovery adds up. I allied first with the two CS to the West of my island which, fortuitously, were culture and friendly. One of them had horses and one had 6 iron which came in handy.

Policy Choices: Tradition Opener then Liberty which I completed. I used Legalism after I researched Philosophy to get the free temples. Whether it would have been better to wait until museums were enabled, I don't know, but the boost to culture was very helpful at a time that city production was very low and I did not yet have cash to get lots of city states. I eventually completed Tradition, Liberty, Piety, Patronage and Freedom.

Surprisingly, Darius remained friendly after the first war and he was late developing his own resources. I got good cash from him. Ottoman was also friendly in the early game. I was hoping that Darius would settle the 1-tile island north of his capital, but he didn't. I finished him off with 4 companion calvary and 1 swordsman. My archer chipped in 1 point of damage. He had defense 15 so it was close. After the DOW, I positioned each calvary 3 tiles away and my sword and archer 4 tiles away. I moved each calvary up 2, attacked, then retreated 2 out of range. After the first round, I moved the swordsman up to 2 tiles away and, likewise, the archer. My swordsman took 3 damage from his city. The second round lost one calvary, but the swordsman took the city. It was very close and 1 more HP might have been a complete failure.

After I eliminated Darius, everyone did not like me except Monty who became friendly and remained so for the rest of the game. It would have been much better had Darius settled the 1 tile island, so I would not have eliminated him, but he took forever to research optics.

I maintained my culture at fewer than 10 turns to next policy throughout the game. I left a great engineer for the Utopia Project, but apparently they don't do UP. I think I could have been quicker to ally with the maritime CS which would have shaved some turns off the finish. I think I would have been better off getting all my CS allies before doing RAs, but I mixed it up. I think I could have had better choices in my Policy progression. I had mixed feelings between Freedom and Commerce for my 5th line and I am not sure that Freedom was better. The extra naval travel and +3 boost to production to each coastal city (all of them) would have helped.

I got Steam achievements for completing Piety and Patronage and my first win with Alex.

I won't submit the game and I am not eligible for any recognition, because I completed a line that was not my first choice and violated that no-replay rule. However, nobody else pursued sailing early and the Great Lighthouse and I believe that sailing was the best choice. I would like to see what others think on this strategy.

Balibar

leif erikson
Feb 20, 2012, 12:03 PM
:wavey: Welcome to GOTM. :)

I won't submit the game and I am not eligible for any recognition, because I completed a line that was not my first choice and violated that no-replay rule. However, nobody else pursued sailing early and the Great Lighthouse and I believe that sailing was the best choice. I would like to see what others think on this strategy.
:thanx: for your honesty. :thumbsup:

Nibs.
Feb 20, 2012, 04:43 PM
Hi there! First time poster and I'd just like to say thanks for doing GOTM as its given the game a new lease of life for me (I've worked my way back to GOTM 15). Thought I'd actually join in now I've caught up with all the previous entries.

I'm a firm believer in culture being a science game to broadcast towers / Sydney / Christo, generally followed by 50 turns of pressing the turn button. Actually I'm a firm believer in every type of game being a science game for the first part. For culture you'll ideally want everything set up at the end science point which would require two GE's for Sydney/Christo and possibly saving the tradition policy of culture buildings for broadcast towers.

I thought that warlord would mean little money for research agreements so the game would probably need to be heavy on scientists and given the civ (Greece), city state play would be important.

Given heavy scientist production and a culture win the capital would need to be on the coast and next to a river/lake for Sydney/gardens. Next to a mountain would be good too (Observatory) so the warrior was moved east of the gold to check if another mountain was next to it (and a lake). Unfortunately this wasn't the case so the only realistic place to settle was SE next to the lake and on the coast.

Game

Turns 1-25

Overview

Capital Research Policy

Scout Pottery Tradition Opener
Scout Mining
Granary Archery(ruins)
Monument Calendar

Screenshot
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=314323&stc=1&d=1329776802

Clearly an island so stopping at 2 scouts. Since Liberty will be needed for that final great person (GS or GE) and Tradition for the culture bits I started with Tradition opener and will get the Liberty opener. I'll normally only settle places i can get 2 resources from but none exist here that Persia will not also lay claim to. Persia is so close that i feel i can just let Darius fill up the island and then take them off him. this means i might not need settlers at all in which case I can just get the worker from Liberty and get the wonder bonus policy from Tradition. The island start means RA's will not feature much at all early game. Having said that it looks like Optics might be enough to find everyone else as there is a lot of shallow water.

Turns 26-50

Overview

Capital Research Policy

Stonehenge Writing Liberty Opener
Worker(b) Masonry Citizenship
Animal Husbandry Aristocracy
Philosophy

Screenshot
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=314323&stc=1&d=1329776802

Both scouts were placed on the coast next to the two city states so that i could discover them when they finally moved units in range. Even though i was building wonders I took the worker policy from Liberty before the wonder policy from Tradition. Workers are just too important so early. I decided not to bother with the settler policy as I will let Darius populate the island and conquer him. It made sense to go for Masonry since i was working a couple of stone tiles. I noticed Darius had gold which meant i couldn't sell him my own gold, but amusingly a barbarian pillaged his gold and so i was able to sell mine to him and buy a worker. I almost felt like declaring war and stealing his worker would be a good idea but I wanted him to expand so i left him alone.

Turns 51-75

Overview

Capital Research Policy

Stoneworks Trapping Meritocracy
Great Library(*) Civil Service(GL) Patronage Opener
Warrior Sailing
Great Library(*) Optics
National College The Wheel
Trireme

Screenshot

Decided to get Stoneworks before Great Library because i wanted Civil Service and it'd build before Trapping finished. Just missed Classical Era by one turn so couldn't start Piety. Got a Golden Age. Came so close to accidentally building the Great Library before Trapping was finished after chopping a forest, and was able to squeeze a Warrior out while waiting. There is an interesting decision here with regard to policies. I won't need anything from Tradition and Liberty until the end. I'll definitely want the Freedom opener as a priority to help generate scientists. Possibly the wonders one from that tree too. Otherwise I definitely want the first 3 or 4 from Patronage and the whole of Piety. I decide in the end to start off Patronage now.

Turns 76-100

Overview

Capital Research Policy

The Oracle(*) Mathematics Philanthropy
Hanging Gardens Bronze Working Aesthetics
Trireme(b) Iron Working
The Oracle(*) Theology
National Epic Education

Screenshot

Found Egypt below me. Might make a good target once i kill Darius. There is no iron around. I am wondering if National Epic and Garden will raise GE points from 1 to 2 as i'd like to get one GE out before starting on science. Went for Aesthetics (ignored the science as for now i can only afford one ally). It is now time to attack Darius as soon as i can.

Turns 101-125

Overview

Capital Research Policy

Garden Compass Scholasticism
Catapult(b) Astronomy(*)
University
Catapult(b)
Hagia Sophia

Screenshot
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=314324&stc=1&d=1329776802

Only found out this game i can make a road in a friends territory, I tried to build a road to Susa to make it easier to attack but Open Borders ended before i finished it. Iron finally arrived from Warsaw on turn 112 and it was time to buy some Catapults and upgrade my warriors to attack. Seems National Epic and Garden do raise GP points from wonders but it is rounded down from what I can see, which means a GS will arrive before GE. As soon as University arrived I put two specialists inside. They'll remain until I get enough scientists. Also got a GG.

Turns 126-150

Overview

Capital Research Policy

Porcelain Tower Currency Piety Opener
Market(*) Construction Freedom Opener
Workshop Metal Casting
Market(*) Astronomy(*)
Caravel Steel
National Treasury Engineering

Screenshot
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=314325&stc=1&d=1329776802

Took a GE from Hagia. Captured the Persian Capital!! One of my Scouts got killed at sea but to be honest I was surprised it lasted as long as it did. Finally conquered all but one of Darius' cities and made peace with him. I felt I'd need Longswordsmen and Trebuchets to take on Egypt so need to get to researching them. Got RA's with everyone except Egypt before getting Astronomy and taking Freedom opener. There is only one nation not found but I guess i need to search the oceans for them. Put a specialist into workshop as i'd really like a GE for Statue of Liberty. Upgraded to Longswordsmen. Got a golden age. My troops being moving to Egypts territory.

Turns 151-175

Overview

Capital Research Policy

Work Boat Physics Organized Religion
Aqueduct Machinery
Lighthouse Horseback Riding
Harbour Chivalry
Ironworks Gunpowder
Sistine Chapel Acoustics
Banking
Printing Press
Navigation

Screenshot
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=314326&stc=1&d=1329776818

Last Civ found me (Russia). Seems Catherine wasn't hidden in the ocean, I just got unlucky finding her. Got a RA with her. From now on will save enough gold for RA's and culture city states if I go unhappy. Finally announced war on Egypt. Renewed RA's as they came up, though it was impossible to get one with Darius as he was hostile. Perhaps I should of just declared war on him again and scared him but I think I've got enough at this point without him (I expected more Civs to go hostile). Accidentally got a Trireme killed trying to level up on a city but didn't really matter. I decide to make the turn 175 GS my last. The next one will take 30 turns to arrive and I want to be finished with science by then. This is my 5th scientist so I'll have 6 with Oxford, and if I mess up can take the Liberty finisher as a GS instead of a GE. I remove the specialists from University. I only found Egypts capital turn 175 and his cities are in a terrible position for me to take. I'll need to think carefully how to do it.

Turns 176-200

Overview

Capital Research Policy

Temple(185!!!) Archaeology(177-RA) Reformation(176)
Opera House(186) Chemistry(190-RA) Mandate of Heaven(188)
The Louvre(191-GE) Economics(194-RA) Free Religion(196)
Hermitage(192) Scientific Theory(195-RA) Theocracy(196)
Museum(193-b) Military Science(200)
GE(194)
GA(200)

Other City States

Brussels(...-C-A)
Warsaw(...-C-A)
Monaco(...-C-A)
Kuala Lumpur(...-C-A)
Ragusa(...-Ma-A)
Bucharest(183-C-A)
Florence(184-C-A)
Kathmandu(184-C-A)
Lhasa(188-C-A)

Screenshot
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=314327&stc=1&d=1329776818

Thought I'd list the city states I have (ones with dots i got earlier). Gold was not much of a problem so I was able to make all the culture states allied. Everyone is going hostile now that I am actively taking them though. My final scout died to barbarians after doing a great job these last few centuries. I decided to bulb the Louvre as I have a ton of buildings to do for culture and it's very strong. That means I'll definitely need the Liberty finisher to be a GE. Specialists are going into culture buildings as soon as they are built. Razed an Egyptian city and ended up messing up the Hermitage until it finished razing. Upgraded Trebuchets to Canons and got them both logistics. I captured some horses from Egypt. These are actually my first strategic resources of the whole game! With Egypt about to drop to only one city I can see from global politics that most of the remaining wonders are held by France so I guess I may as well target them next.

Turns 201-225

Overview

Capital Research Policy

Taj Mahal(201-*) Biology(205-GS) Representation(202)
Oxford(202) Steam Power(205-GS) Legalism(207)
Broadcast Tower(207-LE) Electricity(205-GS) Collective Rule(211)
Sydney Opera House(209-GE) Replaceable Parts(205-RA) Republic(213-SY)
Christo Redentor(213-GE) Radio(206-GS) Constitution(215)
Hospital(215-b) Mass Media(207-GS) Civil Society(219)
Windmill(215-b) Fertilizer(208) Democracy(223)
Taj Mahal(218-*) Telegraph(209-OX)
GA(219) Metallurgy(218)
Factory(219-b) Rifling(224-RA)
Public School(219-b)
Statue of Liberty(219)
Seaport(223-b)
Stables(225-b)

Other City States

Egypt Peace(201) Belgrade(207-Mi-A)
Trireme->Frigate(201) Singapore(207-Ma-A)
Golden Age(202)
Golden Age(213-GG)
France War(213)
Infantry(217-CS)
France Peace(219)

Screenshot
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=314328&stc=1&d=1329776818

Orleans contains coal so attacking France looked pretty good. Aluminium doesn't matter I am not next to a river. I guess getting RA's and trying to get to Nuclear is the only feasible thing for production if I have enough gold. Science part of the game is done now so it's just a case of waiting for the win. Paris had about 5 wonders in when captured :). I might annex and buy all culture stuff in Paris when it comes out of Resistance, depends on how much gold I have.

Turns 226-250

Overview

Capital Research Policy

Big Ben(235) Dynamite(227) Free Speech(227)
GA(236) Railroad(228-RA) Universal Suffrage(231)
Bank(242-*) Combustion(231-RA) Landed Elite(236)
Colosseum(244-*) Atomic Theory(237) Educated Elite(240)
Walls(245-b) Cultural Diplomacy(245)
Barracks(245-b) Monarchy(250)
Castle(245-*)
Heroic Epic(247-*)

Other City States

Inf->Mech Inf(231-ruins)
Cavalry(233-CS)

Paris

Courthouse(242-b)
Monument(242-b)
Temple(242-b)
Opera House(242-b)
Museum(242-b)
Broadcast Tower(242-b)
Stoneworks(242-b)
Circus(242-b)
Theatre(242)
Barracks(247-b)
Library(249)
Stadium(250-b)

Screenshot
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=314329&stc=1&d=1329776828

Ratio of turns to policy for culture before Paris was 3695/771 = 4.79 and afterwards was 4060/839 = 4.84 so it turns out it wasn't worth it. Mind you I was on the last few policies and culture tends to be quite static so it might have been worth it earlier. However it was a lot of gold, so I don't think I'd have been able to try it earlier.

Turns 251-265

Overview

Capital Research Policy

Colosseum(252-*) Nuclear Fission(253) Oligarchy(256)
Castle(253-*)
Bank(254-*)
Heroic Epic(255-*)
Utopia Project(256)

Other City States

AA-Gun(253-CS) Genoa(257-Ma-A)
GG(253-CS) Rio de Janeiro(257-Ma-A)
Golden Age(253-GG) Cape Town(257-Ma-A)
Golden Age(256-GA) Sydney(257-Ma-A)
Venice(257-Ma-A)
Stockholm(258-Ma-A)
Almaty(258-Mi-A)
Sidon(258-Mi-A)
Tyre(260-Mi-A)

Paris

University(252)
Mint(257)
Walls(260)
Stable(263)

Screenshot
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=314330&stc=1&d=1329776828

I wasn't quite sure how production overflow worked so I tested it here. If you can fully overflow I should have got 500ish production into the Utopia. I actually got 350. So the Bank was unable to put more than its cost (200) in to the Heroic Epic. I should leave a few bigger buildings ready for the end. Also turns out I was only one RA from getting a Nuclear Plant. That would of helped quite a bit. Slightly interesting fact was that I only put 500 gold into each CS and only one ever needed a 250 top-up. That's the power of the greek UU.

There are lots of things that could of shaved some turns off. One more RA would of got me a Nuclear Plant (I had Uranium on my territory) for the final Utopia. Also I started my culture buildings really late. I kind of meandered towards the culture techs too, I probably didn't need Trebuchets for instance.

Not sure about Patronage either. Most of my city states didn't come until well after turn 150. The Paris experiment was a massive waste of gold. Had I tried something like that much earlier it may have benefited me but it was simply too late in the game. I was also surprised at how easy gold was to come by this game. I was pretty poor while waiting for iron to arrive from Warsaw so I could attack Darius, I probably should of just settled the continent myself and got some gold.

Versatile
Feb 20, 2012, 04:53 PM
Date submitted: 2012-02-20
Game date: 1915AD
Turns played: 335
Base score: 482
Final score: 719
Time played: 1:45:00

Played OCC, no war whatsoever.

Probably could have finished a lot earlier had I not completly forgotten about SH, but hey, what can you do.

Trystero
Feb 20, 2012, 08:30 PM
Reference number: 25765
Your name: Trystero
Your email:
Game date: 1910AD
Turns played: 330
Base score: 634
Final score: 960
Time played: 4:23:00
Submitted save: Alexander_0330 AD-1910.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Trystero_C503001.Civ5Save

A 2 City Challenge. Settled 2E and built Sparta on the North coast. No wars whatsoever. Bulbed my way to Archeology. Took Liberty, Tradition, Piety, Patronage, and Freedom as my SP trees. Probably should have focused on generating GAs for Landmarks earlier and found more cultural CS (only explored with one frigate).

tomaalimosh
Feb 20, 2012, 11:49 PM
Reference number: 25768
Your name: tomaalimosh
Game date: 1906AD
Turns played: 326
Base score: 1246
Final score: 1916
Time played: 6:21:00
Submitted save: Alexander_0326 AD-1906.Civ5Save
Renamed file: tomaalimosh_C503001.Civ5Save

Played a very peaceful game. Only attacked Darius to steal his third settler, and then accepted peace immediately. Began to get CS-s only later. That probably set me back, because most CS's that were close were cultured.

nthexwn
Feb 21, 2012, 03:34 AM
@Nibs: Holy cow, now that's a report! Do you keep a record as you play or somesuch? I've only ever bothered with screenshots. ;)

Anyway... I must confess to viewing the game in progress thread as soon as I'd opened the save file. I figured it might help me plan my game out in advance. I imagine this is what all the top players have been doing for a while now, but in hindsight it doesn't seem like fair play. Perhaps there should be a rule instated that we can't view the game in progress thread until we're at least 100 turns in? I suppose it's all on the honor system anyway, but I think it'd be good to have an official rule so that we're not tempted to look ahead like this. It worked too well.

At any rate, seeing how the game was progressing for others led me to an extremely unorthodox opening strategy, which ended up paying back in dividends. Here are the key ideas:

I settled on the gold directly northeast of the starting tile. I used to avoid building cities on hills, since they couldn't get a windmill later on. However, after comparing starts in several games, I've learned that the early production bonus from hill tiles easily offsets this, since the windmill comes into play too late to make a substantial difference in a game's outcome. Early production, however, is HUGE. I learned from watching DaveMcW's video of the last GOTM that he forces production focus to the point of starvation early on, even with just a few citizens. Extra production for those first few units and structures (particularly the granary, which pays back directly in food lost for every turn gained) really is that important. I now try to settle my starting city on a hill if at all possible for this boost. The gold resource bonus upon discovering mining was merely a nice addition. ;)
In the game in progress thread, Mike678 mentioned that Darius had rapidly expanded to 4 cities. As a result, I decided I'd just capture these cities instead of building my own. This led me to skip the liberty tree entirely, and to focus on tradition instead. True to those predictions, Darius popped his 4th city around turn 80, and by turn 90 I was capturing all of his stuff with companion cavalry and hoplites. Not having founded any cities of my own meant that policies were super cheap throughout the entire game.
Since going tradition requires getting legalism very early, I decided not to build a monument right off the bat like the top players often do, and to use my 2nd policy for the free monument instead. No saving up for opera houses or broadcast towers or anything fancy like that. Just 1 single monument at the beginning.
Since I wasn't going legalism, and wouldn't be getting the free worker, I decided to start off by building one instead. Normally a worker opening is a pretty bad idea, since the worker can't improve any resources until you've researched the improvements, and you sacrifice early scouting information in doing so. However, since the starting island was small enough for the warrior to explore all on its own, this ended up not being much of a sacrifice at all, and I got a few extra food while I was waiting.
Rather than the traditional great library start, I opted to go directly to sailing. There were a couple of reasons for this. The most important one was to reach other civilizations as quickly as possible in order to sell resources (namely the early gold from the hill tile). France ended up being my first buyer, since Darius was broke. This allowed me to get an early start with the cultural city states, which seem to be quite important for culture games. The other reason for sailing was also money related. Since nobody else had ships early, I was able to wrack up 30 gold from nearly every city-state on the map in a matter of a couple dozen turns. This took place much quicker with triremes than it would have on a land map, since you get twice as many moves per turn.
My initial build order went like this: Worker->Granary->Trireme->Trireme->Stone Works->Great Library->Temple->Pyramids(for 2 cultural city-state missions)->Stables->4x Companion Cavalry->???->Profit. National College, the Oracle, the Hagia Sophia, and a couple of hoplites came soon after this, but I forget the specific order.
I still wanted the great library, but by delaying it a bit longer (hey, this is warlord after all, so there's no hurry), I was able to shoot straight into the medieval era by popping compass. Getting to the medieval era was hugely important, since cultural city-state bonuses double once you're there. The same is true for the industrial era, though by that point your cities' cultural output is finally high enough to start rivaling that of the city-states.
Reiterating this last point, ALL of my early gold went into allying the cultural city states as early as possible. The culture you get from city-states dwarfs that of your own cities early on.
On that note, Stonehenge was entirely unnecessary, as it only produces a fraction of what I was already getting by this point. Besides, Montezuma had already built it anyway.
As soon as I hit the classical era, I started sinking my points into piety until that tree was finished. The 10% bonus that you get for the entire branch gets compounded over the next 25 or so policies that you need, so it becomes quite beneficial to knock it out as early as possible. Finishing the last policy in tradition early for the growth bonus was tempting, but I believe bee-lining piety was more important for overall time.
Science actually doesn't seem to be as important for culture as I'd thought. After playing several culture games, it seems like you'll finish long before the Sydney Opera house if you're speedy, and that Cristo Redentor and broadcast towers only come into play for your last 2-3 policies, so they'll only shave off a couple of turns each. What's much more appealing is to use a few research agreements to reach opera houses as quickly as possible, pop a couple of great scientists/Oxford to get to museums, abandon the foreign relations/research path, declare war on everybody, and use the puppeted cities to create more culture instead. And on that note, here are some screenshots of the spoils:

Greece/Persia:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/nthexwn/Unsorted/TSG30Greece.jpg

Egypt:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/nthexwn/Unsorted/TSG30Egypt.jpg

France:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/nthexwn/Unsorted/TSG30France.jpg

Aztec Empire:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/nthexwn/Unsorted/TSG30Aztec.jpg

I still feel dirty about looking ahead like I did. I'm still pretty proud of how my strategies worked out here, but they were based on a few bits of information that I wouldn't have had access to on my own. Leif, feel free to disqualify this entry if you see fit, but know that I'm probably not the first (or last) person to 'exploit' the game in progress thread this way. :-/

mike678
Feb 21, 2012, 04:40 AM
Yea I don't think looking ahead should be allowed. I personally put a map of the entire island in that thread so its easy to plan exactly what you want to do. Plus I think you learn less if you see what others have done (before you try it your self) because it will bias your opinion and you will do something you normally wouldn't do without foresight. I'm not saying nthexwn cheated but I think there should be a rule against doing that.

Monthar
Feb 21, 2012, 05:49 AM
Anyway... I must confess to viewing the game in progress thread as soon as I'd opened the save file. I figured it might help me plan my game out in advance. I imagine this is what all the top players have been doing for a while now, but in hindsight it doesn't seem like fair play. Perhaps there should be a rule instated that we can't view the game in progress thread until we're at least 100 turns in? I suppose it's all on the honor system anyway, but I think it'd be good to have an official rule so that we're not tempted to look ahead like this. It worked too well.

There sort of is, for at least the first 60 to 80 turns anyway.

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through about the first 60 to 80 turns.

leif erikson
Feb 21, 2012, 08:26 AM
Hi there! First time poster and I'd just like to say thanks for doing GOTM as its given the game a new lease of life for me (I've worked my way back to GOTM 15). Thought I'd actually join in now I've caught up with all the previous entries.

:wavey: Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM.

Excellent write up. :thanx:

There is one, really.

1. Once a player opens the save, posting in the Announcement thread is not allowed to prevent unintentional spoilers.

2. Players should not view the Spoiler thread until.
a. In-progress thread - they have played their first 80 t0 100 turns. Then they may view and post in the thread.
b. After Action Report - players may not open this thread until they have submitted their game. Then they are free to read and post in the thread.

There sort of is, for at least the first 60 to 80 turns anyway.

And also with the assistance you provided to Rygaros.
:goodjob:

chochko
Feb 21, 2012, 01:08 PM
Date submitted: 2012-02-21
Reference number: 25770
Your name: chochko
Game date: 1903AD
Turns played: 323
Base score: 1064
Final score: 1662
Time played: 1:58:00
Submitted save: Alexander_0323 AD-1903.Civ5Save
Renamed file: chochko_C503001.Civ5Save

It was quite stupid to annex 2 of the persian cities - that slowed me a lot...

pontias
Feb 21, 2012, 05:15 PM
Your name: pontias
Game date: 1795AD
Turns played: 269
Base score: 702
Final score: 1324

sorry... my write ups are bad as i dont keep notes or take screen shots.

I settled hill to the east; settled an early city to north and hemmed in persia to the one city. he couldn't do anything in that corner :)

i cocked up my initial research; after seeing it was an island i went for for sailing and optics which meant my cities had no choice but to churn out warriors.... 4 of them and a scout went out scouting and i must have picked up more than 10 ruins throughout the game. didn't work out too bad as GLib popped compass.

so i stalled a bit there getting out great lib... my warriors that had upgraded to hoplites came home and puppeted persia's one city. then it was RAs all the way home really... i again cocked up by bulbing acoustics while i was still at construction so my RAs were very undervalued. I had about 10 in a row sorted though. experimented with my landmarks a bit which knackered a few mines which didn't help my utopia project. and i never know how to maximise the production bit at the end - not sure how to get engineers out for the final builds.

FeiLing
Feb 22, 2012, 08:39 AM
Game date: 1806AD
Turns played: 273
Base score: 1865
Final score: 3453
Time played: 30:42:00
This game felt awful very early on. I was not happy about the location of Athens at all. At least I got reminded that settling on a mineable luxury (gold here) effectively robs me off 2 production. Also my other 2 cities weren't all that nice either - the starting continent just sucked (luckily everyone had to deal with that I guess^^). Darius I was of course guarded all the time and bound to attack sooner or later. When I noticed 2 Archers of his and 3 melee units I rush-bought an Archer in Sparta to defend. Should be enough, especially since it's Warlord difficulty only. I nearly lost Sparta as when he declared suddenly he had 7 melee units! Luckily I did save up some money and could also buy Walls in Sparta plus a Knight in Athens to help cleaning him up. Got reminded that Immortals are actually spearmen replacements... :facepalm:
About the actual game:
Opened Tradition, then went for the Liberty settler, worker and Republic. Then started and finish (at turn 102) Piety at which point I produced 78 culture per turn before I finished Liberty. With the next policy I opened freedom while I think somewhen in between here I took Persepolis plus Pasargardae and razed Susa (which got rebuild in the exactly same spot though shortly after - should have played a unit on that damn island -.-). My 4th city got build on the same little island as Florence, next to Siams starting continent. I planned on destroying Siam anyway at some point, as he was guarded before already and I 'covet wonders that he had built'. As a matter of fact he had the Great Lighthouse, Chichen Itza (!), beat me to Notre Dame (:mad:) and he built the Porcelain Tower too (could have used that GS... didn't think any AI would go for the PT anytime soon on Warlord difficulty). Before finishing Freedom I spent a policy on Legalism on turn 147 to gain 4 free Opera Houses and quickly build a Hermitage in Athens thereafter.

Turn 207: Eliminated Cape Town (a hostile Maritime CS), because two cultured CS asked me to do so (one become a new ally while I didn't have to spent money on the other to expand our 'friendship'). At that point I had +395 culture per turn.
Turn 237: Used 2 Great Scientists and finished Oxford to bulb Telegraph, Radio and Mass Media. Bought a Broadcasting Tower in Athens immediately, which increased the city's culture output by 62 to 407 per turn.
http://i.imgur.com/eoPWUh.jpg
Immediately started the Sydney Opera House in Athens then. And also Christo Redentor in Sparta and the Eiffel Tower in Corinth (didn't need the ET, but I already was on course to optimize my score points by now. Also it gives ridiculous +18 Happiness (5 base + (25 policies/2=13) which is just fun to see :D
Meanwhile Argos was finishing the Brandenburg Gate, as 3 (!) City-States wanted that to be built. More importantly though I needed the Great General for a Golden Age urgently, as I unfortunately didn't generate any Great Engineers but 1 which I used for the Sistine Chapel earlier. And I didn't have any coal either. Bought a City-state which already had 2 mines underneath 2 coal resources. But I did not get it. Someone help me: When will I get them? When will they discover there is coal? There is apparently no way to determine if they already know about the resources?

However Siam had coal too. So after coveting their cities due to the wonders they built, I now also covet their lands. :lol:
Landed on their island with 1 Canon, 1 Knight and 1 Anti-Aircraft gun (which was the strongest unit I could rush-buy at that point). Being supported by a +1 range logistics Frigate. It was close (his damn elephants are so strong (pretty much like riflemen), but it was enough. He offered peace even before I could take a city from him:
http://i.imgur.com/uBtYMh.jpg
That is a nice deal and all, but I came here for your coal buddy (and I know you don't even know yet what coal actually is). Anyway, I will not go without that coal!
How about this?
http://i.imgur.com/CKXvKh.jpg
No way to make that work, huh?

He accepted anyway!! So I got the coal and quite some nice cash income on top for a mere 10 turns of peace (let's rather call it 'ceasefire'):

http://i.imgur.com/nmcXxh.jpg
I carried the coal to Athens [fun fact: the saying "carry coals to Newcastle" in German actually is (translated back to English) "carry owls to Athens"] and rush bought a factory, which shaved off two turn from the Sydney Opera House (now 64 base hammers, 99.2 with modifiers). SOH finished on turn 252. That brought me up to +898 culture per turn - 200ish from City States, 700ish from my cities (Athens alone contributing 512 to that!).
While the last 1 (or 1.5) missing policies were being worked on, Argos actually finished the Statue of Liberty, which will help a lot for the Utopia Project (+3 for 3 specialists (workshop, factory, factory (producing 3 hammers each) and about +10 more for unoccupied citizens (producing 2 hammers each - that's pretty close to an actual specialist, huh?)).

Additionally I was preparing for the ceasefire expiration by upgrading my canon to an artillery, buying another artillery and 4 infantry units which I actually promoted for amphibious attacks. A promotion I rarely ever consider, but it was very useful here. So alone for the sake of the final score I eliminated Rammy and 4 nearby city states (one of them being my formerly best ally due to countless requests from them being filled :mischief:). Went from about 1480 base score to 1865 in the end which came by finishing the Utopia Project on turn 273.
Never thought it would turn out so decent, but I guess with more and better RAs (PT anyone? :rolleyes:) and one or two great engineers one could very well do it at 240-ish turns.

PS: Seems like I finish all my games while Atomic Theory is being researched ;)

PPS: Most frustrating moment of the game: Around turn 165 or so my Frigate scouted a Barbarian Camp near a CS (I didn't have any relation with yet) which had a captured worker in it. I moved my Scout there as quickly as I could from the other side of the map (-.-) to return that worker. When he finally arrived I wanted to soften up the Brute by attacking it with the Frigate, as the combat estimation thingy predicted me having to fire twice at it. Somehow the Barbarian though got killed in one blow. Okay whatever, I'll move in next turn anyway... However an Egyptian Scout sneakily moved into the now unguarded Barb Camp and returned the worker to the CS. I swear I'd have steamrolled over Ramesses II instead of Ramkhanhaeng (of Siam) if only the Pharaoh didn't have the Great Wall :egypt:

Hammer Rabbi
Feb 22, 2012, 01:43 PM
Date submitted: 2012-02-22
Reference number: 25777
Your name: Hammer Rabbi
Game date: 1918AD
Turns played: 338
Base score: 1096
Final score: 1635
Time played: 8:53:00

had a late night after mardi gras festivities and finished my game. i even screencapped but i was too tired to save it.

i really do not get the balance of how to get 5 policy trees quickly.

i settled on the gold mine on the coast. put sparta up on 1 tile to the south that was kind of a tiny peninsula around turn 50. i got all the wonders i wanted and only missed out on ones i wasnt that interested in (Big Ben). i went tradition opener then all of liberty, all of piety, then filling out the rest timing them as needed (freedom, then tradition, and lastly commerce). the last one was a toss up of patronage or commerce (which i really dont like) but i went commerce because i actually had a roadless coastal empire. i took susa, persepolis, and pasargardae (pasa was a big mistake) all of which were on the coast. i was all harbored up in every city and the +3 prod for each was pretty sweet.

my starting CPT (first 150 turns) was really bad though. i was doing what im sure was not efficient by hagia/pt/oxford slingshots. i really should have just settled some engineers and artists as i still would have gotten those wonders and their production would have been really good after finishing freedom. i went from 170cpt somewhere in the 150s to 470cpt 50 turns later. I had 3 GSs to slingshot to Sydney which took me over 600cpt. by the time i was on my last 3 policies i was at 870cpt. i had the gold to ally 6 of the culture CSs and rush buy 3 broadcast towers.

i certainly wanted to do the RA abuse but taking darius' last city (pasargardae) was a real mistake. i knew i wouldnt be going rationalism but even the PT would make them worthwhile. Well, removing darius from history made RAs an impossibility. Everyone went hostile and about 30 turns later i got DoW's by Ramses and Ramkam. Neither mattered though because they were militarily nothing. They never even sent 1 unit to attack me. I took one of Ramses cities, razed it and he asked for peace but it was a straight up deal. I counter offered 3 or 4 times but I can never seem to work the good peace deals. I could afford to buy both sides of the RAs but they were not going to do it unless i gave them every lux and 20+ gpt for it so i shut the RA strategy down. I was way ahead in techs anyway.

by the time i got to the Utopia project it was turn 317 and i could only get it built in 21 turns. and really it was 24 turns but 5 turns into it i got a GE that i settled on a mine that dropped it a few more. I eventually had 5 artists settled and 1 GE. i think i made 9 GPs altogether plus the free ones from wonders and policies.

again, miserable effort. i might try this one again to try some other strats but of course hindsight and map knowledge will be the only thing that lets me improve. i might try to leave Pasargardae and not do the slingshot. I also need to rethink the order i took the policies.

also, i only needed maybe 8 units the whole game: 1 caravel, 1 upgraded trireme, a scout that became an archer/crossbowman, and 3 Comp Cav/knights plus my warrior and some cannons that i garrisoned later just because there was nothing i really needed to build and they would be free maintenance.

also, i got Cristo Redentor but I only had 3 policies left and it really wasnt necessary. I wont waste my time on it next time unless i have more than 3 to get.

Hammer Rabbi
Feb 22, 2012, 01:53 PM
Date submitted: 2012-02-21
Reference number: 25770
Your name: chochko
Game date: 1903AD
Turns played: 323
Base score: 1064
Final score: 1662
Time played: 1:58:00

You did that in under 2 hours? How is that even possible?

mike678
Feb 22, 2012, 02:05 PM
You did that in under 2 hours? How is that even possible?
Quite a few people did it under 2 hours. Majority under 3. Assuming you took out persia you basically just had to hit next turn repeatedly. It's the fighting that usually takes the longest.

Half Nelson
Feb 24, 2012, 06:49 PM
Culture Victory 1735AD
Turns played: 258
Base score: 1270
Final score: 2490
Time played: 11:14:00

Settled on hill 2E. Great spot apart from lack of river. Went for 3-city NC start with Wonder-bashing (GL, SH, Oracle, HS, PT, ND) then lots of RA through Acoustics to Archaeology and a couple of GS plus Oxford to push to Mass Media. I removed Persia from our shared island and later conquered Siam for coal and luxuries. Was going really well until the final few turns, when I made a complete hash of trying to use hammer overflow to speed up the Utopia Project build:- I didn't notice that I was approaching a happiness GA which triggered just as I had almost completed a nice little overflow cascade and completely collapsed it by producing too many hammers. This probably cost me 4-5 turns, but overall I can't complain. I killed off the remaining Persian 1-tile cities at this point in annoyance.

Are policies cheaper at lower difficulties, or is it just easier to accumulate culture?

Hammer Rabbi
Feb 24, 2012, 11:26 PM
Quite a few people did it under 2 hours. Majority under 3. Assuming you took out persia you basically just had to hit next turn repeatedly. It's the fighting that usually takes the longest.

im not sure how that is. i could hit next turn 250 times and it would take longer than that. civ5 is notorious for obnoxious turn times. do you play on minimal graphics on a super fast rig? i really dont get it. i can take 2-5 minutes per turn post 150 and that doesnt take into consideration processing new info like having to switch strategy or debate something long-term.

mike678
Feb 25, 2012, 12:22 AM
im not sure how that is. i could hit next turn 250 times and it would take longer than that. civ5 is notorious for obnoxious turn times. do you play on minimal graphics on a super fast rig? i really dont get it. i can take 2-5 minutes per turn post 150 and that doesnt take into consideration processing new info like having to switch strategy or debate something long-term.

I never thought about my rig. I only ever have problems on huge earth maps. After about 150 to 200 turns it takes a while.

I have a i7 960 with 12 gigs of ram an ssd and a gtx 295 X2. If I can remember correctly my in between turns only took a second or two on this map at the end and that's with high graphics.

vixafox
Feb 25, 2012, 02:34 AM
I don't often go for cultural victories. Hence the very slow win. I built only two cities and puppeted twenty-one. Athens was my powerhouse, ending with 40 population and bringing in 124 production, 103 gold, 351 science and 368 culture per turn. Since I had no iron I waited until gunpowder before I started my puppeting spree. That probably delayed the victory. Still I think my biggest mistake was missing out the Piety tree, thereby losing out on the 10% reduction in future Policies. I must remember that next time.

golem
Feb 25, 2012, 10:01 AM
Date submitted: 2012-02-25
Reference number: 25797
Your name: golem
Game status: Diplomacy Wrong VC
Game date: 1808AD
Turns played: 274
Base score: 1251
Final score: 2316
Time played: 3:31:00

I did not read announcement well so I went for diplomacy. That was easy, but a bit boring, as nothing happened all the game. My fault I should went for cultural. Next time I will be more careful.

Hammer Rabbi
Feb 25, 2012, 11:55 AM
I never thought about my rig. I only ever have problems on huge earth maps. After about 150 to 200 turns it takes a while.

I have a i7 960 with 12 gigs of ram an ssd and a gtx 295 X2. If I can remember correctly my in between turns only took a second or two on this map at the end and that's with high graphics.

yeah, an i7 and 12gb of ram certainly speed yours up. im also not sure how well a dual-card setup does with this game. i have an extra slot on my mobo if i decide to pair it up. my turn load times are more like 30 seconds late game. but ive only gotten over a minute load time when doing dom vics or if i didnt disable combat animations. all on standard of course. i havent done huge/marathon yet.

i have 3.2ghz quad core athlon 955 with 8gb of ram, sapphire radeon 5770, and no SSD (500gb 7200rpm hdd). my graphics are all max too.

mike678
Feb 25, 2012, 12:41 PM
yeah, an i7 and 12gb of ram certainly speed yours up. im also not sure how well a dual-card setup does with this game. i have an extra slot on my mobo if i decide to pair it up. my turn load times are more like 30 seconds late game. but ive only gotten over a minute load time when doing dom vics or if i didnt disable combat animations. all on standard of course. i havent done huge/marathon yet.

i have 3.2ghz quad core athlon 955 with 8gb of ram, sapphire radeon 5770, and no SSD (500gb 7200rpm hdd). my graphics are all max too.

I might have labeled my gpu wrong. I don't have two different cards crossfired just one with dual gpu's. It's actually quite nice I got it a couple years ago and apparently it still matches some of the 500 series cards. From what Ive heard crossfire isn't worth it though I haven't really looked into it. I would just upgrade since amd just released the 7000 series and they shrunk the die so there will be massive improvements.

You could probably even make a little cash for a new card if you mine for bitcoins with the 5770. It's a decent card for that and only requires about 100 wats when overclocked and can get you around 220 megahash :P.

Hammer Rabbi
Feb 25, 2012, 03:38 PM
I might have labeled my gpu wrong. I don't have two different cards crossfired just one with dual gpu's. It's actually quite nice I got it a couple years ago and apparently it still matches some of the 500 series cards. From what Ive heard crossfire isn't worth it though I haven't really looked into it. I would just upgrade since amd just released the 7000 series and they shrunk the die so there will be massive improvements.

You could probably even make a little cash for a new card if you mine for bitcoins with the 5770. It's a decent card for that and only requires about 100 wats when overclocked and can get you around 220 megahash :P.

sorry, i read the 'X2' part of your card to mean 'times 2' or 2 cards. and i did my own reading on crossfire and it seemed very selectively beneficial, i.e if you have certain usage habits it can be really nice but i dont have them so i doubt ill do it unless my card gets to 'VERY cheap' price ranges ($50 and under).

i remember hearing about bitcoins last year. im a pretty modest computer user and i remember thinking that stuff was quite complicated. i might look at it again. thanks.

mike678
Feb 25, 2012, 08:27 PM
i remember hearing about bitcoins last year. im a pretty modest computer user and i remember thinking that stuff was quite complicated. i might look at it again. thanks.

It's not too difficult and most people on the bitcoin forums are quite nice. Don't expect to get rich doing it though. With your one 5770 you could make a few dollars a week after electricity cost (assuming you have the average in the us) so it can be a fun thing to do.

leif erikson
Feb 25, 2012, 09:44 PM
Please, can we get back on topic?

Matekui
Feb 26, 2012, 08:23 PM
Date submitted: 2012-02-26
Reference number: 25804
Your name: Matekui
Game date: 1917AD
Turns played: 337
Base score: 879
Final score: 1311
Time played: 3:01:00

I thought I was doing pretty good by finishing around turn 330:crazyeye:! You guys finished it way earlier. Fun times

leif erikson
Feb 26, 2012, 09:31 PM
Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM.

Just keep reading and your time will improve. :)

xerex
Feb 27, 2012, 04:46 PM
Date submitted: 2012-02-27
Your name: xerex
Game date: 1912AD
Turns played: 332
Base score: 1001
Final score: 1516
Time played: 3:14:00

Two cities, no RA's, 3 puppets.

Cel.erity
Mar 01, 2012, 06:11 AM
Your name: Cel.erity
Game date: 1820AD
Turns played: 280
Base score: 852
Final score: 1521
Time played: 2:32:00

It felt like sort of a slow win, because I know I messed up a few optimization spots. There were a few RAs that I mistimed which hurt me a lot, and I built Louvre too late. I'm used to being able to reload though, and our starting spot was not optimal, so I guess this isn't bad for my first GotM!

Overall game breakdown:

I knew coming in that a peaceful game would be best, because on Warlord you can defend yourself easily the entire game and snag every wonder. With my starting location being on the coast, I knew I wanted to go as tall as possible and rush for Sydney. I wanted to settle near a mountain, but seeing with my warrior that it was not possible, I settled on the hill next to my starting tile instead.

I was hindered greatly by scouting the wrong way to start, and building monument before scout, which I think is correct because I was teching straight to Great Library and going Tradition, which means I would not have improved Gold tiles early on, so no need to meet early civs. My plan was to bulb Mathematics and get The Hanging Gardens for super early growth and science.

Once I saw the situation, I was not pleased. I knew that Darius would DoW me eventually, and I didn't have time to get Sailing early since I needed Mining + all the prereqs for Mathematics. After that I got Sailing ASAP, and bought two Triremes to scout around.

I decided the spot for my second city would be 4 tiles SE. This gave me two additional spices and I only lose one fish compared to settling north, plus I would get sugar later anyway if I ended up puppeting Darius. Settling far away would give me more time to amass a tech/production advantage before going to war.

After building the Gardens, I went Engineering to get aqueducts in my two cities for massive growth, then temples to start producing GA points. I also made sure to squeeze out 2 Great Scientists and 2 Great Engineers because that's what you need to bulb/rush Cristo and Sydney. Radio tech is handled by RAs. I probably could have gotten away with one less GS if I set things up right, but meh.

My RAs were scattered because the AI was poor all game, and I didn't optimize them as well as I could have. First wave was 132-140 and the next wave got me to Sydney. No need to RA before 120 or so, it's better to ally the cultural city-states.

For policies I got Landed Elite, then went for the free settler in Liberty (this maybe should have been Piety, but my build was very tight and I didn't have time to squeeze a settler out. I didn't want Darius to settle before me.) After that, I filled Piety and Tradition, then the usual. I forgot my one point in Freedom until later, oops.

The war with Darius never ended up happening, as he stayed friendly with me the whole game despite our borders kissing for 200 turns. There may have been a point where I could have taken 10-12 turns of production in my capitol to make an army and blow him away, but it would have been risky, and the culture gain would have been minimal. I had enough income for the entire game to keep the 4 cultural city-states allied, and sign most of the RAs that I wanted to sign.

After Sydney got built, my culture was at about 780/turn, so I basically just spammed Enter while doing random things to boost my score. Built a Brandenburg Gate so I could Golden Age for the Utopia Project, which took 15 turns to build. None of the city-states had connected any coal, so all my production was basic stuff + Ironworks.

It was fun! The setup was challenging, although I think there was some luck involved depending on what strategy you committed to early. I'll be replaying the initial save to see what is achievable with perfect information.

Harbinger
Mar 01, 2012, 04:17 PM
Culture Victory in 1959AD. I made the early decision to build up military and annex/puppet Persia, only founded 1 city the hard way. The problem was some rather stunning reversals each time I attempted to take Persia, I ended up having to take it in three 'bites' a city or two at a time, which solved mid-game happiness problems but obviously slowed me down. Once the conquest was complete I had all the gold I could spend from trade routes and selling luxuries to the AI, and the policies were cranking out every 8-10 turns, I was genuinely surprised to look at the clock and see it was 1918 already. Interested to see how quickly people finished if they were able to gobble up persia right away...

misterjoshua
Mar 04, 2012, 09:09 AM
Finished.

Cultural Victory turn 373.
Had a good start. Lost my way a bit mid-game mainly due to inexperience, but managed to rush the end. Took too long reaching broadcast towers. Still, my first GotM and I was quite happy with the results :)

Dan4GS
Mar 06, 2012, 01:30 AM
Let me preface the following by saying that I don't think it should count... I'm new to GOTM and actually read most of the post action reports before attempting it and did GOTM 31 before this one. Just wanted to give this one a shot too to see how going for tradition first (and completely skipping liberty) would work out.

Date submitted: 2012-03-06
Reference number: 25864
Game date: 1874AD
Turns played: 307
Base score: 1391
Final score: 2280
Time played: 1:50:00

Looks like it turned out pretty well. Built 4 cities, plopping Athens down next to the mountains. Put Sparta NW near the fishies and whale...low production but great pop. Eventually put my next city way SW where the 3 fish were located next to the wheat and horses. Ramses built a city close to that the turn before I founded, so I had to buy up land real quick, including two fish and the wheat and horse. He didn't like me too much...

Last city was down SE of Athens in the hills. Was a pretty good production city but not great Pop.

General idea was to get Tradition, but opened up piety and completed that before finishing. I like the +food bonuses in tradition for pop growth, which I find key in cultural victories. 3/4 of my cities ended about 30+ pop at end of game. Opened freedom before completing patronage then going back to finish freedom. Commerce was last policy open. Didn't touch liberty until I was constructing Utopia project.

At the beginning, I opened with mining (for the gold) then went bronze working for hoplites to take out darius (Thus the advantage of reading these forums first). Made sure he didn't found a second city before two hops, a warrior, and an archer took out his cap...didn't really do anything else besides this but I didn't have to build another military unit the rest of the game and was allowed to build in peace, free of concern.

4-5 RA the whole game...built farms about everywhere I could for pop growth and later game specialists. Got almost every wonder, minus 5-6 I didn't care for. Only wonder I really wanted and missed was Hanging Gardens for pop growth in Athens.

Hope this helps some that may have struggled, and I'd appreciate insights from anyone that sees something I could do better!

leif erikson
Mar 06, 2012, 09:24 AM
Let me preface the following by saying that I don't think it should count... I'm new to GOTM and actually read most of the post action reports before attempting it and did GOTM 31 before this one. Just wanted to give this one a shot too to see how going for tradition first (and completely skipping liberty) would work out.

:thanx: for letting us know.

Welcome to GOTM. :wavey:

Congrats on your win. :)

Mat93
Mar 06, 2012, 10:22 AM
Date submitted: 2012-03-06
Reference number: 25865
Game date: 1900AD
Turns played: 320
Base score: 682
Final score: 1065
Time played: 1:21:00
Renamed file: Mat93_C503001.Civ5Save

I probably shouldnt of had this be my first CiV game for a few months, as it was fairly poor at times. But still, first GOTM, and a win is good enough for me.

I settled 1 E 1 NE, on the tile to the left of the gold hill. 2 gold, 1 cattle, 3 stone inside the second ring, was a good start. Went monument then scout, then granary. Teched to Calender then Writing, got Stonehenge first, as it being warlord difficulty, i felt i had the time before going for the GL. Got all 3 of my main early targets for this game (Stonehenge, GL, and the Oracle), and then it went downhill.

Concentrated too much on culture, so my science suffered, which stayed that way most of the game, that cost me at least 25 turns on not getting opera houses or museums early enough to push through freedom in time for a 280 or so win. Lack of the Louvre probably set me back about 5 turns, no more than that i dont think. I also didnt invest in enough research agreements throughout the game, having not attacked Persia at all, i wanted to keep a small sum of gold in case i needed to buy a unit, but that never was needed. I should also of been more aggressive with gaining resources for selling/trading, but with the AI gold situation, that probably didnt affect the game too much.

I also think it was a mistake to build a second city, at the end it was only making 53 culture per turn, which i dont think is enough to offset the cost of it. I built it almost directly south of where i started, between the deer and the spices (Persia expanded rapidly northwards of me, so i decided that in order to get enough room for my second city, i had to head south). It did help me with exploration, but in truth, probably cost me a few turns.

If i were to replay it, i think i could probably get about a 280 turn finish, maybe 270 with only slight tweaks to my tactics. Was a challenging game to work out what the best tactic would be, but fun :)

leif erikson
Mar 06, 2012, 02:52 PM
I probably shouldnt of had this be my first CiV game for a few months, as it was fairly poor at times. But still, first GOTM, and a win is good enough for me.

Congratulations on winning your first game. :)

Mat93
Mar 10, 2012, 09:30 AM
I also think it was a mistake to build a second city

If i were to replay it, i think i could probably get about a 280 turn finish, maybe 270 with only slight tweaks to my tactics. Was a challenging game to work out what the best tactic would be, but fun :)

I did replay, but not submit, and it wasnt as improved as i thought it would be. Same start tactic, no second city, and focused more on research agreements, although that did cost me in terms of city states. Also couldnt explore as well without having a coastal city (2 tiles per turn doesn't cut it).

Interesting Persia declared on me late-ish gate, so that did affect some of my culture as i couldnt use all of landmarks for about 10 turns, and cost me a bit of gold for buying a treb (shortly afterwards upgraded to cannon), and a slight diversion in techs.

If the AI knew how to capture a city (they had it at 0 for the last 2 turns of their units life, but no melee), then i would of lost.

Turn 298, so im happy with that :)

Carazycool
Mar 10, 2012, 03:02 PM
Date submitted: 2012-03-10
Reference number: 25880
Your name: carazycool
Game date: 1915AD
Turns played: 335
Base score: 3753
Final score: 5601
Time played: 6:26:00

GreedysMaximus
Mar 11, 2012, 09:34 PM
Date submitted: 2012-03-11
Reference number: 25887
Your name: GreedysMaximus
Game date: 1920AD
Turns played: 340
Base score: 829
Final score: 1219
Time played: 2:53:00
Submitted save: Alexander_0340 AD-1920.Civ5Save
Renamed file: GreedysMaximus_C503001.Civ5Save

My 1st attempt @ GOTM, it was fun for the 1st 50 turns, then disaster struck on t53 when som1 completed the GL b4 Athens, which was 1 turn away from completing it. Only good thing after that was the fact that i managed to get the Oracle, i also lost the PT to the AI, so the tech pace of this game was gonna be slow as #%"!. Prolly should have reserved one of the GE's for PT, i'll keep that in mind for my next attempt. I didn't take out Persia, cause i wanted som1 to get trade agreements with, due to the isolated start, and once i lost PT it was already too late to start building a bigger army to take out Persia.

leif erikson
Mar 11, 2012, 09:47 PM
:wavey: Welcome to GOTM.

Congrats on your first win. :)

Attaturk
Mar 12, 2012, 01:21 AM
Date submitted: 2012-03-12
Reference number: 25888
Your name: Attaturk
Game date: 1680AD
Turns played: 246
Base score: 1040
Final score: 2122
Time played: 2:37:00
Submitted save: Alexander_0246 AD-1680win246.Civ5Save
Renamed file:Attaturk_C503001.Civ5Save

Settled one city in place. Puppeted 3 Darius cities around turn 110.

General idea is to use city states for research. Used 2 RA in Before Astro and 4 RA Before going to Biology

For production used settled engineers.

I prioritized wonders that generate engineers over anything else.

Build - Worker - Granary - Pyramid - Stoneworks - Stonehedge - GL - NC - ORA - HG

Cult: Trad x 3 Piety x All Patronage x 3 Freedom All (needed to maximize my production using freedom finisher) - Finish Tradition - +1 Pat to give happy - start and finish liberty - last 2 in pat.

Used 4 bulbs: archeology - scientific method - biology (to get x2 cult from Industrial aera) last bulb SP

Build oxford to get to Opera

Did not have time to build cristo.

Just Opera + Statue of Liberty

Took 8 turns to build Utopia (no prebuild or cascading overflow. don't know how)

sebtanic
Mar 14, 2012, 08:05 PM
As stated in the in-game thread, I conquered the Persians early (3 cities) with my hoplites, then built Sparta in the hills to the south as my production center, and Corinth to the NW where all the fish are, as my GP farm.

Ramesses settled two cities in the plains on the SW tongue of the islands, but that didn't bother me much. I just parked a unit to block him off and have an eye on any military assault that he might be planning (which he never did).

Got Astronomy pretty quickly and met all the other civs. It went smoothly and peacefully from there. I allied all the cultural City States, one or two maritime and even a few militaristic ones for free units. I think I didn't build a single unit (except ships) after the war with Persia, and still ended up with one of the most powerful armies on the planet.

I completed Utopia in 1930 AD. I noticed some weird bugs (or features?), as in 1 turn several of my trade routes were interrupted, even though all my roads remained intact and I also had harbours in all of my cities and was not at war with anyone. The next turn the trade routes were OK again. Also, one of the city states gifted me a "Greek Khan" :D I didn't use it though just parked it in my capital for amusement.

I might have gotten a higher score by teching faster, I didn't do any RAs at all. Also I didn't have time to finish Cristo Redentor before I won, and got the Sydney Opera House in time to take the last policy... :crazyeye:

Also could have attacked Ramesses easily near the end, but didn't because all the micromanagment needed might have caused me to finish after the deadline. After I won I saw that his happiness was at -21, so it would have been a cakewalk with all the penalties he would have got... Oh well!

I'm glad to have completed this in time, been ages since my last submitted GOTM! :king:

Arnold_T
Mar 15, 2012, 09:12 PM
I not very good at Culture games, but I took haphazard shot at this anyway. First mistake was to go looking for a better food-site, which I guess wasn't really necessary. I ended up settling on the east coast of the island near the fishes. settled one other city up north, and then puppetted persia's two biggest cities after that. I just kinda coasted after that. Probably should have been more focused on Science and more aggressive maybe against Egypt and puppetted some of his cities as well.