View Full Version : Three things you look forward to in Gods and Kings, big or small

Haig
Feb 18, 2012, 12:18 AM
I'm love to read top lists and stuff like this, so I'm asking now for three things that you are excited about or are curiously looking forward to in the spring expansion. They can be big features or just minor details. Mine:

1) World War I units
I've wanted machineguns to the game for a while now, actually made a topic to Ideas forum about it. And now we're getting almost a new era, militaristically, with so many WW1 -style units about to hit the scene. Nice!

2) Embarked units can defend themselves
Another thing that is probably to thank the new lead designer for. I guess his strategy boardgame designer and AI programmer backround gets to good use in the expansion.

3) Just so MANY things added
In my mind I always thought expansion would be like.. Three new civs, two new wonders, four new units and a new big feature.
Instead it's such an epic blast of stuff to arrive, so many civs, new and reworked features.. one of the magazine articles even points out that there are 50 beliefs to choose from when customizing your religion thru the ages.

Cheers to the developement team. :goodjob:

Chibiabos
Feb 18, 2012, 12:30 AM
In regards to embarked units, I wonder if Askia of the Songhai will get a bonus or that trait replaced with something else? (Askia has gold from camps + embarked units defending themselves as his traits; I play him all the time -- though admittedly more for the former, since the AI never manages to muster a navy to menace my embarked units aside from random barbs just as I'm sending exploration units out)

Pouakai
Feb 18, 2012, 12:41 AM
1) New wonders: I've always loved the wonders ingame, and seing brand new ones - some of which I've previously made - have just made my day, and I can't wait

2) New Civilizations: I'm loving the prospect of so many new civilizations to play as, especially the chance of some new faces that I've been campaigning long and hard for

3) The sheer possibilites: As a modder having released wonders for nearly a year, I've begun to run short of ideas for effects and places to put wonders. When all wonder mods are activated, there are about nine wonders in both Theology and Acoustics. The chance of more religious techs in between is awesome, as is the hope for a Sub-saharan Art style

The Mad Russian
Feb 18, 2012, 12:42 AM
hopefully they'll fix the naval AI so continents and all those "D-Day" style maps can be usable and playable. I've been playing Pangaea almost since the games release. I want to be able to be attacked by another civ from an overseas continent in strength without them just sending one unit then offering all of their gold and resources after a 10 turn phony war.

I also hope that all AI meet each other because right now, they all stick to their own little spheres and not really wander around meeting civs that might be overseas or all the way across whatever continent they're on

-Mark

Monthar
Feb 18, 2012, 02:43 AM
1) Being able to scout enemy lands with spies when you can't get open borders during peace time.
2) If spreading religion works like it did in Civ 4, we have a good reason to sign a mutual open borders agreement instead of just selling ours for 50 gold.
3) All the changes to naval combat.

dexters
Feb 18, 2012, 02:52 AM
1) Enhanced diplomacy
2) Reworked HP system/naval units being able to defend and the related AI/conceptual fixes to combat
3 Religion that I can customized

DST1348
Feb 18, 2012, 04:45 AM
Hello,

here is my (short) list:

1) Apparently, the AI will be influenced by your adapted policies / religions. My hope is that this will lead to a more reliable AI; not necessarily a more predictable one. My biggest issue with the current AI is that it can go from Friendly to DoW within one turn. Maybe Gandhi will no longer be angry at me, because I am more peaceful than him.

2) Spies revile AI plans sounds interesting. Maybe I will be able to understand some of the AI decisions that are incomprehensible to me right now. But how useful this feature will be needs to be seen. Right now, I can already kind of tell which AI is likely to attack me. And it's save to assume that everyone will attack me eventually (see my point 1).

GoodSarmatian
Feb 18, 2012, 04:59 AM
1) Being able to scout enemy lands with spies when you can't get open borders during peace time.

I don't think that will be an option. Spies will work more like in Master of Orion than in Civ. They aren't controllable units, instead they are assigned through a menu.

What I look forward to:

Improved diplomacy: I hope they improve AI and change the way relatinships work. I don't want to see them go again from Freandly to Hostile and back to friendly over 20 turns, and I do't want to see any suicides by backstab from weaker civs. I also hope there'll bemore options than resource trades and RAs.

Espionage: Seeing AI plans and being able to conduct Cold War style 'diplomacy' with City States (election rigging coups) will be a grat addition to the game. I also hope it will give me more uses for my money in the late game.

City States: No more pumping money into them in the late game. It will now be harder to outright buy their friendship, and City States will offer multiple quests at the same time., It was annoying you couldn't get any new quests until the current one was finished, especially when that quest was to eliminate your other ally.

ShahJahanII
Feb 18, 2012, 06:52 AM
1) New civs: Probably the biggest thing for me. I really want diversity in the way we can play. The Mayans, Byzantines, Celts, Carthaginians, and Dutch should all feel different be fun to play with.
2)Changes to City-States: 2 new types, new ways to influence them, spies, etc. All of these should make City-States more important.
3)Changes to navy: Navy just isn't stressed enough in this game. Hopefully all the new units and rule changes will make them important across all map types.

apocalypse105
Feb 18, 2012, 07:02 AM
Diplomacy if it they still use the same system like in the original civ 5 where it is out to win the game and allways will backstabb you then I am not going to buy it

Rupe
Feb 18, 2012, 09:18 AM
Diplomacy if it they still use the same system like in the original civ 5 where it is out to win the game and allways will backstabb you then I am not going to buy it

Same here. Hope they make it more like the AI is playing a real world Civ then a player that is trying to just win or stop you from winning. One can hope. I just want diplo to matter. Right now it doesn't.

grant2004
Feb 18, 2012, 09:47 AM
Same here. Hope they make it more like the AI is playing a real world Civ then a player that is trying to just win or stop you from winning. One can hope. I just want diplo to matter. Right now it doesn't.

Exactly, that's my bigest problem with Civ 5 it's impossible to imagine you're playing against a world leader who cares about their nation. Every civ feels like they're just some other person playing a game, but who isn't particularly good at the game.

The big things I'm hopeful for are:

1. Improved AI, they've talked about more balanced armies, and appear to be tweaking naval combat to make things easier for them with Melee ships, and all embarked units being able to defend. Hopefully there's more behind this.

2. Improvements to diplomacy, religion sounds like it would have the possibility of allowing you to establish good relations with another civ. Currently it feels like the only way to remain friendly with another civ is to never EVER do anything that irks them in the slightest. One of my favorite things from Civ 4 is having another civilization that works with me, at least through a reasonable length of the game, and that normally happens as a result of religion. Again, hopefully there's more behind this.

3. Improved city states. City states sounded like such a good idea when they were getting ready to release Civ 5, but I quickly realized once I started playing that it was all about who could spend the most gold on them. The mechanic was far too simple to be enjoyable. The idea that city state diplomacy will now be based more heavily on an expanded quest system, espionage, and more limited gold spending sounds like a great improvement.

4. Ok one extra that hasn't been mentioned. Improved multiplayer stability. The main way I play Civ now is online with friends. We gave up on Civ 5 because it was too slow, and crashed too often. Maybe it's better after the recent patches, we haven't gone back to test. I'll be paying close attention to any mentions of multiplayer in the reviews.

Wolfbeckett
Feb 18, 2012, 01:06 PM
3. Espionage, I love games that allow to effect change through subtle machinations.
2. New civs, the more the merrier, even if I never play them anything that reduces the chances of me starting a new game with Alexander as my neighbor is to the good.
1. VICTORIAN SCI-FI SCENARIO OMG!

Morningcalm
Feb 18, 2012, 01:27 PM
IF the following are in (as I hope), I look forward to them:
-Can request things of AI, instead of simply demanding things from them.
-Actual pros and cons to certain diplomatic actions
-AI being more reliable allies.
-AI not hating you if you liberate them.
-UN resolutions (world trade, military action, condemnation of nations like the real UN disapproving of certain nations for doing certain things--forces everyone to add a negative modifier in diplo against the condemned civ if successful, etc).

Optional
Feb 18, 2012, 02:05 PM
The much stronger naval aspect.

blackcatatonic
Feb 18, 2012, 02:18 PM
The much stronger naval aspect.

This for me, too. I'm really excited by the prospect of melée naval units, shipboarding and using ships to raid cities.

As for the other two:

1. Religion. I actually disliked it in CIV and was glad it was gone - it just felt a bit like a cheap way of getting money, and I really hated the way some leaders (I'm looking at you, Isabella and Charlemagne) would instantly despise you if you were a raging heathen. But I'm surprised to say I'm excited by the overhaul it's been given, and the way that the type of religion you adopt is in some way shaped by your surroundings sounds awesome.

2. City States being improved and developed - more quests, more options, more things to do with them other than buy them or conquer them, really. I'm also looking forward to seeing how they interact with religion and espionage.

Other than that, the new content! I can't wait to play as the Celts!

ShahJahanII
Feb 18, 2012, 02:23 PM
This for me, too. I'm really excited by the prospect of melée naval units, shipboarding and using ships to raid cities.

As for the other two:

1. Religion. I actually disliked it in CIV and was glad it was gone - it just felt a bit like a cheap way of getting money, and I really hated the way some leaders (I'm looking at you, Isabella and Charlemagne) would instantly despise you if you were a raging heathen. But I'm surprised to say I'm excited by the overhaul it's been given, and the way that the type of religion you adopt is in some way shaped by your surroundings sounds awesome.

2. City States being improved and developed - more quests, more options, more things to do with them other than buy them or conquer them, really. I'm also looking forward to seeing how they interact with religion and espionage.

This is exactly what I said.

Other than that, the new content! I can't wait to play as the Celts!
Personally, the Netherlands is my favorite addition.
I also love Carthage and the Mayans though.

Louis XXIV
Feb 18, 2012, 02:29 PM
Others are looking forward to playing as new civs. I'm looking forward to playing against new civs. That helps benefit more from the production values. I'm looking forward to Religion and am cautiously optimistic about Espionage (especially the ability to influence citystates).

I'd say those are my top three at the moment.

TheKingOfBigOz
Feb 19, 2012, 04:41 AM
1) Religion
2) New Way to achieve Diplomatic Victory
3) More Flavor in Hotseat and SP games.

BranjoHello
Feb 19, 2012, 07:19 AM
1) Espionage
2) More Espionage
3) Even More Espionage
:D

Souka
Feb 19, 2012, 07:25 AM
1) Espionage.
I hated it in Civ IV, but the new one seems totally new, so I have high hopes.
If it's a way to gather more information on the opponent, FINALLY, it will fix my biggest problem with CiV. I hate not being able to know beforehand if an enemy civ believes this or that city-state is part of their garden, or trading a small thing with a newly-met civ, only to find out that they are the worst enemy of the world's super power, who now believe I betrayed them.

2) New techs, hopefully in the classical era.
In all Civilization games, I start losing interest after the Industrial age (Iron and swords are romantic, Coal and machine guns, not so much!). If the new techs make the classical era longer, that will give me more of my favourite part of the game. Also, I hope it will spread out the wonders and not add even more to that period: it's so tough to have 10 wonders to chose from when you have only one or two cities.

3) Everything else!
I could live without the concept of religion in the game, but the new system seems interesting.
I never cared for naval units in any Civ, so maybe this one will succeed where every other episode failed...? At least it's trying, and can't really be worse (I think CiV is already the "less bad" naval system).
New combat balance! New City State quests! New civ! New units! New buildings! New everythings!

4) all the rants on the forums about how this should be free, this should have been in the original game, these features are broken/bugged/should never have been released that way, and so on even after the expansion is patched.

JaGarLo
Feb 19, 2012, 07:59 AM
1. More options when setting up the game. A cold weather but with less forests, no nukes, always peace/war, advanced start... Anything. I love changing every last detail of my games.

2. Less ''exploitable'' AI. Make the AI more rational and avoid giving away money for things they don't need.

3. More details like: don't repeat the same music order, different unit graphics for each civilization...

4. As Souka said...

Haig
Feb 19, 2012, 08:01 AM
To people worried about AI playing or not playing to win, that stuff was the original lead designer's idea, along with many things, ranging from good and bad decisions (in my opinion of course) to awesome brave ideas that improved vastly the series (no more stacks!!)

But this time there's a new lead designer and G&K is his baby.
So I think for many parts we should have open minds, I feel his experience in strategygames, boardgames and AI will be put to good use, as one unit per tile supports that stuff.

2. New civs, the more the merrier, even if I never play them anything that reduces the chances of me starting a new game with Alexander as my neighbor is to the good.

Never thought of that before, but yeah reducing the change of Alex's smirking face throwing sarcastic comments at me, another good thing about new Civs. ;)

blackcatatonic
Feb 19, 2012, 08:18 AM
1. More options when setting up the game. A cold weather but with less forests, no nukes, always peace/war, advanced start... Anything. I love changing every last detail of my games.

This reminds me...

...please, please, please can we have the Regenerate Map button back?

Louis XXIV
Feb 19, 2012, 08:33 AM
This isn't a suggestions thread, you know? ;) It's supposed to be which things that they're putting in are you looking forward to most.

JFD
Feb 19, 2012, 11:46 AM
1. New Civs (and their music)
2. Religion.
3. Enhanced AI and Diplomacy (or so they say...)

CivilizedPlayer
Feb 19, 2012, 08:37 PM
1. Definitely the new civs. First thing I do when I buy this is loading up a standard size map with all 9 civs and going at it. I'm so ready:)
2. The religion system seems cool. It sounds like it's a little like the social policy tree, and that's easily one of my favorite things about Civ V.
3. The scenarios. Especially the fall of Rome one.

CivCube
Feb 19, 2012, 10:14 PM
1. CSes emphasizing quests over money.
2. Customizable religions that other civs can adopt.
3. Seeing the Diplomatic and Cultural Victories improved.

CivilizedPlayer
Feb 20, 2012, 12:27 PM
Cultural victory will be improved? Where did it say that?

cccv
Feb 20, 2012, 05:37 PM
Religion. When I say that I'm trusting that they're not going to do something with it that makes it dominate diplomacy, although it should be a small factor. I didn't like IV's implementation, but I definitively missed the flavor it added.

Reworked diplo victory. it needed to be fixed big-time and I'm not sure if I'll be 100% satisfied with it yet, but at least this should help.

And this will finally answer the question for me of "Will the DLC civs be rolled into expansions?," and apparently the the answer will be no. So after-- how long has this game been out now?-- well, after all this time, however long it has been, I can get the DLC now that I finally know I won't just be re-buying it when an xpac comes out. I'm betting they'll have a sale on all that as the xpac comes out, and if not I can always wait until the big summer steam sale for that and the xpac, which is probably the smarter plan.

Dreadnought
Feb 20, 2012, 06:35 PM
1) Playing as the Byzantines. It's been too long!
2) Espionage, finally making it into the game.
3) Privateers, my favorite units from back in the day.

MadDjinn
Feb 20, 2012, 06:49 PM
3 things I'm hoping for (not sure if it's in there, but would be very nice):

1) No more meta-game for the tech tree (RAs/GSs/now-spies). It's somewhat annoying that you can clear the tech tree while at minimal bpt. If those things were dropped or modified so that you don't have to research tech X to get better results, I'd be happier.

2) Better Happiness system. Happiness flows far too easily, and I'd really like to stop seeing the AI with +40-80 happiness...

3) Better Diplomacy. I see you have options to complain to me mr AI, but I want the same ones too. Plus stop sucking. And that whole 'warmongering forever issues'.

also on the list:

4) better combat. Stop letting me use Archers to kill everything. Give me a reason to build something other than a Stealth Bomber in the late game.

5) Better VC 'balance'. Which includes a reworked Diplo VC that isn't "buy all CSs at the last second" and "Same as Tech VC, but go to Globalization".

MARDUK80
Feb 21, 2012, 12:49 AM
If I leave the new Civs/Leaders aside, my top three would be:

1) Religion
2) Enhanced Diplomacy, with Espionage
3) New City-States with greatly expanded quest/event system. (Perhaps a bit like the random events in Civ4?) :D

Reworked Combat System and establishing Embassies are also something I eagerly look forward. New Wonders and new units not that much, though new resources like possibly Saltpeter gets me excited ;)

CYZ
Feb 21, 2012, 03:46 AM
1. Religion
2. The Dutch
3. New WW-1 units (hopefully area-denial units, more rock-paper-scissors gameplay!)

chaddougless
Feb 21, 2012, 10:09 AM
Saltpeter gets me excited ;)

Sadly, saltpeter will keep you from getting excited. :D

In all seriousness though:

1. Enhanced combat system to prevent silly archers/spearmen from hurting my tanks in any significant fashion.
2. Hopefully less schizo leader personalities, so that Bluetooth won't be chummy, then DoW, then get rolled, then pay me tons for peace, then go right back to friendly.
3. Extra features that allow for more possibilities and avenues of success (or defeat).

MARDUK80
Feb 22, 2012, 12:45 AM
2. Hopefully less schizo leader personalities, so that Bluetooth won't be chummy, then DoW, then get rolled, then pay me tons for peace, then go right back to friendly.

Yes, this is something I hope they will fix in the next patch or at least will get fixed in G&K.

Montov
Feb 22, 2012, 05:08 AM
1. New units (and other new stuff)
2. The Dutch.
3. Espionage & more/better City State interaction (diplomacy)

bcaiko
Feb 22, 2012, 10:38 AM
Well, I tried posting this yesterday but the server got busy and killed by long post. Here's hoping I have better luck today:

Reworked City-State Interactions: The new emphasis on quests will make the game much more interesting, especially (as others have mentioned) in terms of making the Diplomatic Victory something other than a bribery/economic victory. And with City-States being able to give more than one quest (and reroll them, too?), it will be wonderful to see City-States want something from me other than to destroy their neighbor. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the new CS types (mercantile and religious) alter the game. Maybe I'll befriend someone other than my nearest Cultural CS? :)
Naval Warfare: The focus on naval warfare is most welcome. The addition of melee ships that can take cities will make England's long-underpowered unique ability (and its unique ship) something to truly fear! (I still hope England gets a small economic boost in their UA, however.) And the ability of embarked units to defend themselves means I don't have to suffer the aggrivation of a rougue barbarian trieme somehow one-shotting my mechanized infantry! These changes, with hopefully an update to the AI's naval affinity, will finally give me a reason to build a navy in the single player game.
Religion: I'm most surprised to be excited about this. I wouldn't be an advocate for the return of a Civ4 style Religious system, but seeing what the developers are doing with this Religious system makes me really excited. I love that the player has little control over what his/her cities believe as Religion flows over borders. And I can't wait to found my own Religion (and promptly rename it something silly!). Props to the developers on this one...really cool work.

danieladler
Feb 22, 2012, 10:49 AM
I really hope for diplomacy to be radically improved, since its almost non existant today. More ways to improve relations, like religion, would mean much. I dont think anyone of us wants to go back to civ4 diplomacy because that was way too predictable. But i think that the game would benefit if you could become close to a civ, if you put some effort into it.

qec
Feb 22, 2012, 02:43 PM
1.Both added mechanics, Espionage and Religion

2.New Scenarios- I enjoy the scenarios, gives you a change from the regular game, but I'll definitely beat the regular game with the new features a few times before I try any scenarios

3. New Units, City States, and Civs

Alright, mine was more like 6 things because I grouped stuff together, but really I'm looking forward to everything. It's going to be like playing a whole new game, or at least a new version of my favorite game.

Haig
Feb 22, 2012, 03:38 PM
Alright, mine was more like 6 things because I grouped stuff together, but really I'm looking forward to everything. It's going to be like playing a whole new game, or at least a new version of my favorite game.

Yeah, it actually feels almost like a new Civ. At least on the paper it feels the most massive of all Civ expansions so far.

The new stuff, religion, espionage, new combat system and units, navies, new city-states, and religion and ideologies that affect diplomacy..
all of those have their impacts on just about every stuff there is, from social policies to bonuses from buildings. We need to re-think our strategies again, crazy. But I love it. :)

TimeWeaver
Feb 23, 2012, 04:41 AM
-More of all the fun stuff: civs, wonders, units, etc
-Religion
-A reworked, expanded and better balanced "forest" of social policy trees

Maktaka
Feb 23, 2012, 09:53 AM
Religion. GOOD religion. I loathed the first-come-only-served style of CIV's implementation along with the one-way flow of its utility (having religion gave you bonuses to tons of things, but nothing from that then helped you grow the religion since it was all just buildings and civics), but this sounds quite good. Hopefully the randomness of spreading the religion has been dealt with as well.

Espionage. Another thing CIV didn't do well, but Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords did. This new system is an upgrade from that, with plenty of useful new controls and deviousness possible. I'm especially looking forward to having non-warfare options as a builder-focused civ to upset my enemies' progress towards builder-focused objectives. Right now the only way to address another civ going for a tech victory is an invasion, and it would be nice to not need such drastic measures.

New units! Earlier flight is excellent, I never actually get to the point in the game where I can use planes of any kind, and a hopefully expanded Classical era would be nice as well.

Buccaneer
Feb 23, 2012, 09:59 AM
1) New civs: Probably the biggest thing for me. I really want diversity in the way we can play. The Mayans, Byzantines, Celts, Carthaginians, and Dutch should all feel different be fun to play with.
2)Changes to City-States: 2 new types, new ways to influence them, spies, etc. All of these should make City-States more important.
3)Changes to navy: Navy just isn't stressed enough in this game. Hopefully all the new units and rule changes will make them important across all map types.

This is my list as well. I don't like they added religion and espionage to Civ5 but these additions would make up for it.

ShahJahanII
Feb 23, 2012, 04:21 PM
This is my list as well. I don't like they added religion and espionage to Civ5 but these additions would make up for it.

I am not all that excited for religion and espionage as I am for those.
Not that I don't want them in.
Religion may be cool, but I'm not so sure about espionage.

chazzycat
Feb 23, 2012, 06:01 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to the improvements to city states a lot. They mentioned expansion of the quests/rewards system as well as de-emphasis of gold. Both sounds pretty good to me. And 2 new types!

Also really looking forward to using ships to conquer cities. England and Spain will be way more interesting to play as.

for the obvious, I am intrigued as to what the possibilities are when it comes to customizing religions. Will there be entirely new strategies revolving around religion, or will they just be an augmentation of existing strategies? what kind of synergies will there be? etc. etc.

MARDUK80
Feb 24, 2012, 01:04 AM
I'm definitely looking forward to the improvements to city states a lot. They mentioned expansion of the quests/rewards system as well as de-emphasis of gold.

Yeah, me too. I am hoping the improved quests system would be something like the random events in Civ4:BTS. Really liked them a lot, events increased the re-playability value and kept me longer interested for my game.