View Full Version : Most Anticipated New Civilization

Sparthage
Feb 19, 2012, 09:28 AM
Okay, so of the five civilizations that we know will be included in the new expansion, which are you looking forward to the most?

Options:
Netherlands
Mayans
Celts
Byzantines
Carthage

I personally am looking forward to the Carthaginians the most. I've always loved to destroy Rome without mercy as their historical worst enemy.

Of course, I'm also looking forward to the Celts and Byzantines since they were also fun in the older versions of Civ.

Louis XXIV
Feb 19, 2012, 09:33 AM
Carthage, depending on how it is handled. Byzantines for religion.

Haig
Feb 19, 2012, 09:35 AM
Voted Netherlands, I like implementing of a Civ that has quite different unique abilities (so far as we know) from the rest, the ship that robs ports and captures other ships sounds fun and so does the turning wetlands to profit. I'm planning to create a true trade empire with them and go heavy with espionage. :)

Lord Olleus
Feb 19, 2012, 09:36 AM
Byzantines may by the first new civ I play, just so I can get used to this new religion thing.

Louis XXIV
Feb 19, 2012, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I think I'll probably play as the Byzantines, but put Carthage and the Celts in the game. With 9 Civs, I might play a game with all 9 (standard map, but slightly more crowded).

Fern
Feb 19, 2012, 09:39 AM
Netherlands - really want to try the new naval combat system. Plus the "stealing from other ships" sounds promising.

GoodSarmatian
Feb 19, 2012, 09:44 AM
Since I don't know how the civs will be implemented, I'm undecided.
For my first game, I'll pick whichever new civ is best suited to exploit new game mechanics. Either Celts or Byzantines for religion, or a new civ that specializes in espionage.
I also look forward to trample my enemies with Cataphracts, but that depends on the Byzantines getting a Cataphracts UU.

apocalypse105
Feb 19, 2012, 10:43 AM
Netherlands because I am from the netherlands :)

TheKingOfBigOz
Feb 19, 2012, 10:50 AM
Byzantines, purely because I wanna see which leader they picked, we need moar female leaders.

The others are fun too. I cna't wait for leader music!

Gucumatz
Feb 19, 2012, 10:53 AM
Maya of course! Whether we end up as a City State based Civ, Religious, Economic, or Scientific (We can really go any way), the Maya are always a fun civ to play!

I may rename some cities to some more Kaqchikel related names though for my personal flavor.

I will play the Maya probably 60-80% of the time from then on!

Civsassin
Feb 19, 2012, 10:59 AM
You forgot to include an "other" choice. There are still four other civs that we do not know the identities.

ShahJahanII
Feb 19, 2012, 11:02 AM
Voted Netherlands, I like implementing of a Civ that has quite different unique abilities (so far as we know) from the rest, the ship that robs ports and captures other ships sounds fun and so does the turning wetlands to profit. I'm planning to create a true trade empire with them and go heavy with espionage. :)

Netherlands - really want to try the new naval combat system. Plus the "stealing from other ships" sounds promising.

Same.
They are probably a lot more unique than the already existing civs and the other 8 included in the expansion.

Sparthage
Feb 19, 2012, 11:04 AM
You forgot to include an "other" choice. There are still four other civs that we do not know the identities.I didn't forget, that was on purpose. I don't want people to vote 'other' because they weren't satisfied with the announced civs. Once we know a couple more, I might make a new poll including those.

CivOasis
Feb 19, 2012, 11:04 AM
Mayans, due to my general preference for native American/Pacific civs.
I must say, though, the Celts are a close second.

Lord Olleus
Feb 19, 2012, 11:36 AM
Since I don't know how the civs will be implemented, I'm undecided.
For my first game, I'll pick whichever new civ is best suited to exploit new game mechanics. Either Celts or Byzantines for religion, or a new civ that specializes in espionage.
I also look forward to trample my enemies with Cataphracts, but that depends on the Byzantines getting a Cataphracts UU.

I have difficulty imagining them not having Cataphracts. They pretty much just need them. As a Horsemen or a Knight replacement though? Difficult to know. Perhaps just a knight that comes earlier.

Their second UU will probably be a fire breathing trireme (forgot the name). Mostly due to awesomeness and cos they were in Civ3 iirc. Or they could get a UB. In which case I hope they ditch the boring hippodrome from Civ4 and give them a wall replacement. The only reason they survived that long is because the walls of Constantinople were incredibly strong. Maybe a wall that has two or three times the strength of normal walls would be good.

AriochIV
Feb 19, 2012, 12:03 PM
I'm very pleased about the Carthaginians and Celts, because the game needs more ancient-era civilizations. But for the civilization I'm most looking forward to playing, that would probably be Byzantium.

Louis XXIV
Feb 19, 2012, 12:13 PM
I have difficulty imagining them not having Cataphracts. They pretty much just need them. As a Horsemen or a Knight replacement though? Difficult to know. Perhaps just a knight that comes earlier.

Their second UU will probably be a fire breathing trireme (forgot the name). Mostly due to awesomeness and cos they were in Civ3 iirc. Or they could get a UB. In which case I hope they ditch the boring hippodrome from Civ4 and give them a wall replacement. The only reason they survived that long is because the walls of Constantinople were incredibly strong. Maybe a wall that has two or three times the strength of normal walls would be good.

Given the unique ability with a religion component, I agree it'll likely be a Cataphract and Fireship (they might call it a Dromon again, but I believe a Dromon was technically a different ship).

That being said, a lot depends on other civs. For instance, Carthage might also be a good candidate for a ship, but I don't see two Trireme replacements as likely.

I agree that a Hippodrome is not all that likely. However, I could see good synergy with a Cataphract should they go that route for some reason.

blackcatatonic
Feb 19, 2012, 12:15 PM
Out of the list so far, the Celts - but I'm holding out hope for the Holy Roman Empire/Austria-Hungary.

Haig
Feb 19, 2012, 02:01 PM
By the way, to Dutch people, here in Finland I've seen on the news sometimes this Dutch political party leader with this crazy, impossible mane of blond hair. Now that would be crazy leader for Dutch, but I guess the place is taken by William I. :P

ShahJahanII
Feb 19, 2012, 02:03 PM
By the way, to Dutch people, here in Finland I've seen on the news sometimes this Dutch political party leader with this crazy, impossible mane of blond hair. Now that would be crazy leader for Dutch, but I guess the place is taken by William I. :P

Geert Wilders?

MantaRevan
Feb 19, 2012, 02:20 PM
If the Carthaginians are done well enough, them. Otherwise, the Celts are one of my reoccurring favorites.

Selous
Feb 19, 2012, 06:54 PM
im looking forward to the celts

black213
Feb 19, 2012, 08:44 PM
Maya y u no get more votes?

Gucumatz
Feb 19, 2012, 08:48 PM

Nationalists, Celt Lovers, etc. :p

Maya forever!

Morningcalm
Feb 19, 2012, 11:06 PM
Byzantines! Who will the leader be? How will Byzantium's unique military and faith based bonuses be incorporated (we only know they get a 6th faith bonus so far)? Will the leader speak Greek or Latin? Will there be fire ships? What will the music be based on? Etc etc.

Camikaze
Feb 19, 2012, 11:40 PM
I'm looking forward to the Dutch. Being able to do something to marshes should be pretty nice.

Also, I like the colour orange.

MARDUK80
Feb 20, 2012, 05:13 AM
Out of these five. Definitely The Celts
Boudica, exciting UA giving a bonus to the new religion concept, possibly a good UI (hoping for Dun) and I like playing with improvements, and strong/usefull UU (Pictish Warrior). Did I mention Boudica already? ;)

Looks like they also have Blue/White colour scheme. The one I was hoping the Finnish Civ would get (albeit I haven't had my hopes up for their inclusion). Guess the Celts are closest Civ for me to "roleplay" Ancient Finland (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10725515&postcount=8) :D

Ianwill93
Feb 20, 2012, 05:55 AM
The mayans, but carthage and the celts came close! But the mayans were teased to have an interesting UA so they win for me.

Haig
Feb 20, 2012, 06:12 AM
Out of these five. Definitely The Celts
Boudica, exciting UA giving a bonus to the new religion concept, possibly a good UI (hoping for Dun) and I like playing with improvements, and strong/usefull UU (Pictish Warrior). Did I mention Boudica already? ;)

Looks like they also have Blue/White colour scheme. The one I was hoping the Finnish Civ would get (albeit I haven't had my hopes up for their inclusion). Guess the Celts are closest Civ for me to "roleplay" Ancient Finland (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10725515&postcount=8) :D

I thought from the pics that Celts get a blue and green colours?

I'll say we get Sweden before Finland, actually swedes are a Civ I predict might make to the expansion and everyones jaw drops open. :lol:

snarzberry
Feb 20, 2012, 06:16 AM
I'm looking forward to the Dutch. Being able to do something to marshes should be pretty nice.

Also, I like the colour orange.

I also like the colour orange (due to a strange obsession I had as a child with Michelangelo - turtle not sculptor).

I am looking forward to the Byzantines slightly more than the others but they're all pretty mouth watering.

MARDUK80
Feb 20, 2012, 06:37 AM
I thought from the pics that Celts get a blue and green colours?

I'll say we get Sweden before Finland, actually swedes are a Civ I predict might make to the expansion and everyones jaw drops open. :lol:

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/images/9/2012/02/b3347b98b6d162aa7f47f4f155f7ecde.jpg
To me this looked like Blue/White Celtic icon (Pictish Warrior)

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/images/9/2012/02/6287442e8b2a667821e64bdbdcbd3e25.jpg
But here it clearly looks Green/Blue. Looks like my eyes were wrong here...

If we do get Sweden, I hope they have Hakkapeliitta as a unique unit :D

Nirosi
Feb 20, 2012, 06:47 AM

Or Firfenlines.

Louis XXIV
Feb 20, 2012, 06:53 AM

If I were adding the Swedes, it would be Hakkapeliitta and Light Artillery as the two units.

However, I do wish the cavalry had an easier to spell name ;)

texdionis
Feb 20, 2012, 07:07 AM
The Carthaginians.

I just want Hannibal to wipe the Romans out of the face of the planet, once and for all :scan:

Dreadnought
Feb 20, 2012, 07:11 AM
Byzantines! If I had to bet, I'd say they get two UUs, the Dromon and the Cataphract, though a UB that helps religion would be a pretty awesome building with their focus being on religion.

Thorburne
Feb 20, 2012, 10:19 AM
Out of the ones listed, I have been waiting for the "Scourge of Rome" to make an appearance. Afterall, Rome needs a punching bag! The Celts would be my second choice.

Oh, and to texdionis... :p

I can't wait for leader music!

Excellent point! The soundtrack for the original 18 is stellar, I hope they release another soundtrack with the DLC and the expansion Civs.

You forgot to include an "other" choice. There are still four other civs that we do not know the identities.

Since we don't really know what the other Civ's are, it would probably be better to repeat this pole once we DO know them all.

Because everybody is afraid of their calendar!

TheKingOfBigOz
Feb 20, 2012, 10:44 AM
Excellent point! The soundtrack for the original 18 is stellar, I hope they release another soundtrack with the DLC and the expansion Civs.

If you use Winamp and possess the actual DLC you can already have them since WinAmp reads .ogg files very well (which is the way music is stored)

Louis XXIV
Feb 20, 2012, 10:47 AM

Yeah, if I had to pick the music I'm looking forward to the most, it would be the Celts (Irish music ftw!). I think the least interesting will be the Dutch. No offense, but it'll probably be classical European music, which tends to blend together compared to the more exotic-sounding themes.

Revoran
Feb 20, 2012, 10:54 AM
Wow, pretty even so far.

danieladler
Feb 20, 2012, 10:56 AM
Sweden and Netherlands.

Rob (R8XFT)
Feb 20, 2012, 11:29 AM
Celts for me; though all five announced civs are ones I'm glad to have in the mix!

TheKingOfBigOz
Feb 20, 2012, 11:45 AM
Yeah, if I had to pick the music I'm looking forward to the most, it would be the Celts (Irish music ftw!). I think the least interesting will be the Dutch. No offense, but it'll probably be classical European music, which tends to blend together compared to the more exotic-sounding themes.

I know, I can't wait to hear Boudica talk Irish (I presuming, since Dublin is one of the cities under her control)

ShahJahanII
Feb 20, 2012, 11:48 AM
I know, I can't wait to hear Boudica talk Irish (I presuming, since Dublin is one of the cities under her control)

Would she speak Irish English?
Or would it be Gaelic.
I really have no idea.
I loved the Dutch music in CivIV Bts. Irish is great too.
I'm curious as to what Carthaginian music sounds like.

jdog5000
Feb 20, 2012, 11:57 AM
Mayans in 2012!

And Boudica has to speak Gaelic or something, given how far they've gone with other civs in tracking down historical languages when possible.

Louis XXIV
Feb 20, 2012, 12:07 PM
Would she speak Irish English?
Or would it be Gaelic.
I really have no idea.

My guess is Irish Gaelic. It's close to a living language (I usually lovingly refer to it as a Zombie language, but there are areas of Ireland known as Gaeltacht where people have to speak Gaelic). This will make it easier to find a native speaker.

Alternatively, it could be Welsh. According to Wikipedia, there are actually far more Welsh speakers than Irish speakers. It might actually be more accurate too since the Welsh were the Celtic peoples who were definitely on the British isles (they fled to Wales when the Anglo-Saxons came).

I'm curious as to what Carthaginian music sounds like.

I don't know if we know. Anyone remember what they had for Civ4? Probably the most logical thing would be Tunisian music, so it'll have an Arabic flair.

Corm
Feb 20, 2012, 12:39 PM
I will be playing the Celts first. I have to say I totally hate the idea of the "Celts" as a Civ and I always have done in earlier versions (I think there should be Gauls, Picts, various Brythonic tribes etc) but I love em too.

She would speak a Brythonic or Proto-Brythonic lanuague btw not a Goidelic lanaguage which is what Irish, Manx and Scots Gaelic is derived from. Welsh is a Brythonic language so she should sound Welsh. :D

I know im being pedantic but I love "Celtic" history and the Iceni were Britons.

Louis XXIV
Feb 20, 2012, 12:43 PM
Well, we both agreed it should be Insular Celtic. I did not realize there had been that much of a distant divergence. I speak a little Irish Gaelic, which is why I want her to speak that, but I agree the Welsh is a better choice. Neither will be completely inappropriate since, the further back in time you go (and the more obscure the language), the more wiggle room you have, imo. As long as they don't pull another Egypt speaking Arabic thing I'll be happy (I have a suspicion that Carthage will speak Arabic, however).

apocalypse105
Feb 20, 2012, 03:08 PM
Geert Wilders?

The racist warmonger :mischief:

I wonder if willem will speak dutch like today or the dutch in that time period

Louis XXIV
Feb 20, 2012, 03:43 PM
Given Elizabeth and Napoleon, I'd say the Dutch today.

ShahJahanII
Feb 20, 2012, 04:04 PM
The racist warmonger :mischief:

:(

I wonder if willem will speak dutch like today or the dutch in that time period
Probably modern Dutch.

apocalypse105
Feb 20, 2012, 04:38 PM
:(

Probably modern Dutch.

Haha I wonder what He will say if he dows me :lol:

GamerKG
Feb 20, 2012, 08:01 PM
http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/images/9/2012/02/b3347b98b6d162aa7f47f4f155f7ecde.jpg
To me this looked like Blue/White Celtic icon (Pictish Warrior)

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/images/9/2012/02/6287442e8b2a667821e64bdbdcbd3e25.jpg
But here it clearly looks Green/Blue. Looks like my eyes were wrong here...

I don't think these are the same civs. Look VERY closely at the symbols. One is curved and flower-y while the other is straight-edged.

EDIT: Actually, its the centers that look different. They have pretty close shapes, but different patterns.

EDITx2: But one has the Pictish Warrior and the other has Cardiff...aren't those both Celtic? The city is not occupied, but it could have been captured. And the Pictish Warrior could have been gifted by a CS. Or they changed the symbol between these pictures and they actually are the same civ?!

CivOasis
Feb 20, 2012, 08:03 PM
I don't think these are the same civs. Look VERY closely at the symbols. One is curved and flower-y while the other is straight-edged.

One of those symbols is a unit symbol.

MantaRevan
Feb 20, 2012, 08:11 PM
It would be historically inaccurate to have her speaking Irish English. The language hadn't existed yet.

Louis XXIV
Feb 20, 2012, 08:19 PM
I'm almost certain she won't be speaking Irish English, that would be a ridiculous mistake. However, there's a debate over whether she'll be speaking Irish Gaelic or Welsh. I think Welsh is more likely, but I'd love her to say in her defeat speech "Pog mo thoin" ;)

Durgat
Feb 20, 2012, 08:24 PM
I hope they put more Indigenous North American civs in. Cheyenne or Celilo, or anyone else.

Louis XXIV
Feb 20, 2012, 08:36 PM
This thread isn't supposed to be about who you want in (the Civ speculation thread might be better for that). It's about which of the currently announced civs are you looking forward to the most.

vonbach
Feb 21, 2012, 12:26 AM
I hope they put more Indigenous North American civs in. Cheyenne or Celilo, or anyone else.

Indigenous native american people would be the clovis people.
Otherwise known as Europeans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solutrean_hypothesis

janboruta
Feb 21, 2012, 02:13 AM
I'm really looking forward to playing the Byzantines, especially after the rather flavorless East Rome from Civ4 (maybe it was their grey colour). But I'm also going to play the Dutch as soon as the expansion comes out, I really like their mercantile and seafaring playstyle, as well as the colour orange :D

The third civ in my queue will most probably be one of the four surprise civilizations.

vonbach
Feb 21, 2012, 02:15 AM
I'll admit I'm looking forward to both Byzantium and the Dutch.

Optical
Feb 21, 2012, 02:54 AM
Definitely the Celts here, although the Dutch are a close second.

CYZ
Feb 21, 2012, 05:38 AM
Dutch for me, I am Dutch and am also supercurious about navalcombat and terraforming (do it right Fireaxis please)

Also good to see that it's pretty much a tie between the five new civs. Seems Fireaxis made the right choice there.

bcaiko
Feb 21, 2012, 07:52 AM
Zulu.

Sparthage
Feb 21, 2012, 07:54 AM
Okay, leaderboard time!

1) Netherlands - 34
2) Byzantines - 33
3) Celts - 32
4) Carthaginians - 30
5) Mayans - 25

Fairly even distribution there. All the civs are either popular or unpopular according to your votes so far...

WilliamKendall
Feb 21, 2012, 08:19 AM
Here is one more vote for the Netherlands. It is exciting to see another new entity in the game that survived into modern times. This add will make colonial scenarios even more interesting. Though the old ones are certainly fun to play, what exactly did the Celts contribute to Western Civilization to give them this status over other powerful modern states, such as Israel, Australia, Turkey, and Brazil?

Revoran
Feb 21, 2012, 10:58 AM
Here is one more vote for the Netherlands. It is exciting to see another new entity in the game that survived into modern times. This add will make colonial scenarios even more interesting. Though the old ones are certainly fun to play, what exactly did the Celts contribute to Western Civilization to give them this status over other powerful modern states, such as Israel, Australia, Turkey, and Brazil?

Israel aren't really significant enough to warrant being put into the game, IMO. They spent most of history getting conquered and disepersed by many many other empires. They would work better as a religious city state I feel (Jerusalem).

Alot of modern Turks identify heavily with the Ottoman Empire (for instance, the Turkish government doesn't like it when you mention the Armenian genocide, which was comitted by the Ottoman Empire). Keep in mind that Turkey was the Ottoman Empire up until 1923 (less than a century ago). Firaxis have avoided putting in overlapping civilisations, such as the Songhai/Mali, Germany/Holy Roman Empire... so I don't think they'll put in Turkey. That being said, they did put in the Byzantines when they already have Greece so you never know...

"Modern", "colonial" nations like Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United States and Brazil feel weird in a civ game. It feels better to have an Ancient Era civ go into the modern age, than to have a modern civ be put in ancient times. In the case of Brazil, it makes no sense to have Brazil before Portugal, considering the Portuguese Empire is the foundation of modern Brazil and Portugal was the first European nation to rule a large empire across the sea. Culturally, Australia and Canada etc don't add a lot to the game - I'd rather see more African (Zulu, Ethiopia, Zimbabwe), American (Sioux) and Asian (Majapahit/Srivijaya/Indonesia) civs. That being said, I have no problem with seeing them put in after the other civs I want.

For reference, here are the civs I'd like to see added to the game:

6. Portugal
7. Majapahit / Srivijaya / Indonesia
8. Zulu
9. Ethiopia
10. Sioux

My life would be complete ;)

WilliamKendall
Feb 21, 2012, 02:52 PM
Israel aren't really significant enough to warrant being put into the game, IMO. They spent most of history getting conquered and disepersed by many many other empires. They would work better as a religious city state I feel (Jerusalem).

I agree that Israel may not be one of the most impressive civilizations as compared to the US, Germany, or China. However, they certainly accomplished more than Polynesia or Senegal, just to name a few. Seems to me that if Korea and the Vikings earn a spot, so should Israel. Who else has defeated four Arab states all at once (1948 War)? They even have a possible Wonder to their name, the 1st or 2nd Temple. What wonder did the Celts build?

Dregor
Feb 21, 2012, 03:23 PM
I picked Celts, but it was a tough decision between them, Mayans, and Carthage. And I didn't pick it because of Boudica, you never get to see her if you're playing as her!

Gilgamesch
Feb 21, 2012, 03:37 PM
I cant wait to play as pascal :rotfl:
Also i really hope the time victory for the maja is 2012.

Zenstrive
Feb 21, 2012, 05:06 PM
Celts.

Zenstrive
Feb 21, 2012, 05:11 PM
I agree that Israel may not be one of the most impressive civilizations as compared to the US, Germany, or China. However, they certainly accomplished more than Polynesia or Senegal, just to name a few. Seems to me that if Korea and the Vikings earn a spot, so should Israel. Who else has defeated four Arab states all at once (1948 War)? They even have a possible Wonder to their name, the 1st or 2nd Temple. What wonder did the Celts build?

Modern Israel is "just an extension of USA", as seen from "donations" given to Israel from USA taxpayers. Can Israel stands on its own? Just ask USA Taxpayers to force their government to stop "donating" to Israel and we shall see. So Israel as religious City State is cool, but foll blown Civ? Arab, Turkey, Persia, Egypt are more representative of Middle Eastern Civilizations by far.

Sorry if this ruffled some feather. Feel free to erase this. Just stating some informed opinions.

WilliamKendall
Feb 21, 2012, 06:40 PM
Modern Israel is "just an extension of USA", as seen from "donations" given to Israel from USA taxpayers. Can Israel stands on its own? Just ask USA Taxpayers to force their government to stop "donating" to Israel and we shall see. So Israel as religious City State is cool, but foll blown Civ? Arab, Turkey, Persia, Egypt are more representative of Middle Eastern Civilizations by far. Sorry if this ruffled some feather. Feel free to erase this. Just stating some informed opinions.

Israel does in fact stand on its own. The foreign aid received from the US is an extension of a Carter-era peace policy between Egypt and Israel. The US gave out about $45 billion in foreign aid in 2009. Israel picked up about 4% of that sum. More importantly, the $2 billion Israel received in foreign aid in 2009 only comprised about 2% of their total $93 billion budget. A financially sound Israel could certainly survive without this small sum. For the record, I support the US government cutting most of our foreign aid to help balance the budget, but my serious digression here is probably too far from more fun discussions about CIV5.

U.S. Government Foreign Grants And Credits By Country
http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s1297.pdf

The_J
Feb 21, 2012, 06:44 PM
but my serious digression here is probably too far from more fun discussions about CIV5.

It is. Please back to topic again.

Tabarnak
Feb 21, 2012, 08:01 PM
Mayans!!!

shaglio
Feb 22, 2012, 12:31 PM
Unfortunately, I was only able to vote for 1 civ, so I chose the Celts just barely over the Mayans. The Celts because I'm half Irish and enjoy learing about my heritage. The Mayans because I've visited Dzibilchaltun and Tulum and have enjoyed their history/culture.

TheKingOfBigOz
Feb 22, 2012, 12:56 PM
I voted for Byzantium, but now I wanna see the Celts more... :/

Ellye
Feb 22, 2012, 12:57 PM
Celts, followed closely by Netherlands.

SkaisonFire
Feb 23, 2012, 06:03 AM
As i am dutch,My choice seemed pretty clear.....until i remembered that the leaderhead speaks the language,and all my civ 4 nightmares came back.I don't know for the other civs but that was absolutely HORRIBLE.

TheKingOfBigOz
Feb 23, 2012, 06:35 AM
As i am dutch,My choice seemed pretty clear.....until i remembered that the leaderhead speaks the language,and all my civ 4 nightmares came back.I don't know for the other civs but that was absolutely HORRIBLE.

I'm confused? Civ 5 is the first and only game in which the native tongue is actually spoken, in Civ 4, 3, 2 1 it was just text.

janboruta
Feb 23, 2012, 06:57 AM
In Civ4 the units spoke native languages, not leaders.

TheKingOfBigOz
Feb 23, 2012, 07:07 AM
In Civ4 the units spoke native languages, not leaders.

I usually jsut turned that off anyways, Leroy was getting irritating when I played hot-seat.

Louis XXIV
Feb 23, 2012, 07:28 AM

I find knowing the language can get a bit irritating (both Washington and especially Elizabeth has been annoying at times). That being said, unlike Civ4, the best way to avoid hearing the specific language being spoken is to play as that Civ. If you play as the Dutch, you won't have to hear anyone speaking Dutch.

Fern
Feb 23, 2012, 01:35 PM
I find knowing the language can get a bit irritating (both Washington and especially Elizabeth has been annoying at times). That being said, unlike Civ4, the best way to avoid hearing the specific language being spoken is to play as that Civ. If you play as the Dutch, you won't have to hear anyone speaking Dutch.

Or simply turn the sound off in diplo screens :D I'm lucky that my computer has a hotkey for this.
I agree with you about leader voices - Wu Zetian drives me nuts every time with her kinda whiny, too girly voice and a Chinese that doesn't quite fit an empress.

Haven't paid attention to the Dutch in Civ IV even though I've played as them, gotta do it in Civ V this time. :)

KillingMeSoftly
Feb 23, 2012, 01:52 PM
Byzantines! Woo!

Holy wars are finally going to be a thing in Civ5~

TheKingOfBigOz
Feb 23, 2012, 01:53 PM
If I hear enough of Civs I just skip them real quickly, ignore them xD.

I also don't understand why people get so annoyed? Washington and Elizabeth both barely say anything at all, their text is longer than their opening lines "We're pleased to meet you".

Fern
Feb 23, 2012, 02:01 PM
If I hear enough of Civs I just skip them real quickly, ignore them xD.

I also don't understand why people get so annoyed? Washington and Elizabeth both barely say anything at all, their text is longer than their opening lines "We're pleased to meet you".

Washington is alright in my books, Elizabeth, well, no comments from me.

The most annoying part for me (apart from Wu) is that not every leader has several lines meaning the same thing, so e.g. if you are constantly tweaking the deal to get the most amount of gold for a resource and clicking "What would make this deal work?", some leaders would repeat the same line over and over again... and that's far worse than Elizabeth! :lol:

Eagle Pursuit
Feb 23, 2012, 02:22 PM
Celts for now, as it has the most info available, but I am optimistic about Carthage and the Mayans as well, and I'm always a sucker for Byzantines. I was rather meh about the Dutch in IV, but I may like their current iteration better.

GamerKG
Feb 23, 2012, 04:57 PM
Or simply turn the sound off in diplo screens :D I'm lucky that my computer has a hotkey for this.
I agree with you about leader voices - Wu Zetian drives me nuts every time with her kinda whiny, too girly voice and a Chinese that doesn't quite fit an empress.

Haven't paid attention to the Dutch in Civ IV even though I've played as them, gotta do it in Civ V this time. :)

How does her voice not fit an empress?

And if you think it doesn't, why is that bad? She was a commoner, after all.

Also I think they did an excellent job with her voice and animation mannerisms. Reminds me of my relatives in Taiwan.

Lee The Great
Feb 23, 2012, 10:10 PM
Byzantium...I really hope they pick Justinian...I know he was in civ4 but I really want to see a updated version of him on civ 5....:D

Louis XXIV
Feb 23, 2012, 10:59 PM
Justinian was a terrible Emperor. OK, that's not entirely fair, but his wars to retake Rome were really bad for the Empire (and for Italy, fwiw).

seasnake
Feb 23, 2012, 11:03 PM
Under Justinian the Byzantines reached their greatest height, ever. Basil II is the only other guy that would make any sense. Theodora is like the ancient Eva Peron, a woman who accomplished a lot given her opportunities but not nearly as important on the world stage as she is an amazing individual success story.

janboruta
Feb 24, 2012, 07:46 AM
I think Justinian is really likely to be included, as he is on of the most easily recognizable Byzantine emperors, and his association with the contruction of Hagia Sophia is like a beacon for those who aren't familiar with history enough to think about picking Basil II (who would be a badass leader in-game) or anyone else. However, I think someone from the House of Komnenos could be also a nice choice, preferably Alexios I, as he is also quite recognizable, though maybe less than earlier Emperors.

Louis XXIV
Feb 24, 2012, 10:24 AM
I recognize Alexios Komnenos, but I also spent a decent amount of time studying 11th Century Europe. An extremely superficial complaint, but there might be something awkward having two Greek-speaking people whose name can be shortened to Alex.

MantaRevan
Feb 24, 2012, 10:35 AM
I liked the way Civ 3 did things having theodora.

TheKingOfBigOz
Feb 24, 2012, 10:39 AM
I liked the way Civ 3 did things having theodora.

Theodora was the only beautiful woman in Civ 3, the other women were quite scary (Joan o' arc was alright, but her Modern Era portrait was scary)

Morningcalm
Feb 24, 2012, 11:10 AM
Basil II or Justinian for the Byzantines would make the most sense. If it was Justinian, he'd probably be inside the Hagia Sophia, or overlooking the coast from his palace, and Basil II I suspect will be mounted (although it's tiresome seeing mounted leaders in the leader screens, admittedly).

Theodora did little. Wu Zetian at least was active in politics and very, very manipulative, in addition to being very interested in fostering religion. If they include Theodora, it'll ONLY be to increase female leader representation. Which is silly.

Louis XXIV
Feb 24, 2012, 11:12 AM
I'd prefer the Byzantines to be in an elaborate throne room or some other architecturally cool place that shows off their art style. That's one reason I hesitate about Basil. He's just too militaristic.

SkaisonFire
Feb 24, 2012, 11:16 AM

It's Not that i don't like the language because i know it,It is just that civ 4 dutch was the WORST dutch i have ever heard.
Voted Celts anyway for my scottish heritage.

TheKingOfBigOz
Feb 24, 2012, 11:18 AM
I'd prefer the Byzantines to be in an elaborate throne room or some other architecturally cool place that shows off their art style. That's one reason I hesitate about Basil. He's just too militaristic.

If that's the case, I doubt they're gonna pick him. The Byzantium are obviously religious oriented in Civ 5 so I'm predicting a religious leader.

Louis XXIV
Feb 24, 2012, 12:06 PM
^ Then again, France is culture oriented and they picked Napoleon

It's Not that i don't like the language because i know it,It is just that civ 4 dutch was the WORST dutch i have ever heard.
Voted Celts anyway for my scottish heritage.

My point being that you are far more forgiving of bad voice acting when you don't understand the language.

Fern
Feb 24, 2012, 12:54 PM
How does her voice not fit an empress?

And if you think it doesn't, why is that bad? She was a commoner, after all.

Also I think they did an excellent job with her voice and animation mannerisms. Reminds me of my relatives in Taiwan.

I expected her to somehow sound older, right now she's like a young adult. Maybe it was just not my cup of tea. :)

Ah, I did not know that she was a commoner. If I had to judge the formality in her lines I would say it's medium - more formal than you'd talk to a friend but less than greeting a leader. For example when she says "you", I'd expect her to use the formal "您" (nin) and not the less formal "你" (ni).

Her animations are rather nice and the music is gorgeous, it's just her voice that irks me a bit. ;)

Hmnaftall
Feb 24, 2012, 02:07 PM
I'm looking forward to playing as Carthage. I'm guessing Hannibal for the leader (Hamilcar is probably the only other possibility, but his son makes muc more sense). Numidian calvary and either Libyan phalanx or the cothon as UU/UBs. I hope their UA is something to do with mercenary armies. Maybe cheaper to buy units?

TheKingOfBigOz
Feb 24, 2012, 03:55 PM
It might be Dido, since she was never done, and Hannibal has been part of pretty much every Civ game.

turingmachine
Feb 24, 2012, 04:35 PM
It might be Dido, since she was never done, and Hannibal has been part of pretty much every Civ game.

Dido/Elissa was actually a leader in Civ II. However, there's really no reason to choose Dido/Elissa as the leader over someone more appropriate like Hannibal unless they're specifically looking to add another female leader.

Optical
Feb 25, 2012, 06:12 PM
On the Byzantines:

There's always Heraclius as well, but I think Justinian is probably more likely given the bent of the planned Byzzie civ. Zoe Porphyrogenita (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoe_(empress)) could be an interesting choice if they wanted to fit in another female leader.

GamerKG
Feb 26, 2012, 11:09 AM
I expected her to somehow sound older, right now she's like a young adult. Maybe it was just not my cup of tea. :)

Ah, I did not know that she was a commoner. If I had to judge the formality in her lines I would say it's medium - more formal than you'd talk to a friend but less than greeting a leader. For example when she says "you", I'd expect her to use the formal "您" (nin) and not the less formal "你" (ni).

Her animations are rather nice and the music is gorgeous, it's just her voice that irks me a bit. ;)

Well yes, she does sound a little young. But she was the favorite concubine before having the Emperor killed and her son put on the throne as a puppet with her as regent, before finally having him killed and then having a looooooong rule. So perhaps this is supposed to be while she is still regent, or shortly thereafter.

I have never used that formal version of you you speak of, nor have I ever heard anybody do so. Even if somebody wanted to use it, it simply doesn't flow in sentences. People just use the 'informal' version and nobody minds.

Though I think the informal speech works fine when she is angry and introduces you with "Oh, it's you." (angry glare)

apocalypse105
Feb 26, 2012, 12:03 PM
I thinx we can except ancient classical civilizations because 2 of the new civilizations are classical ancient ones

Fern
Feb 26, 2012, 01:25 PM
I have never used that formal version of you you speak of, nor have I ever heard anybody do so. Even if somebody wanted to use it, it simply doesn't flow in sentences. People just use the 'informal' version and nobody minds.

Though I think the informal speech works fine when she is angry and introduces you with "Oh, it's you." (angry glare)

I totally agree with you about what she should say when she gets angry, it's those little details that makes Civ V diplomacy more entertaining. :cool:

Really? :confused: I'd say it's still used, maybe not as much as "vous" in French, but if you meet someone of high rank (say, an official), this would be an obvious choice. I can't remember so much, but it seems that when I went to school in China we had to use it (to a certain degree) when adressing our teachers.

I'm going to China this summer and hopefully I'll be updated about the level of formality. :)

TImithius
Feb 26, 2012, 02:26 PM
Byzantines! I have an obsession for anything Rome-the Republic, Empire, and Byzantines. I hope that Justinian would be the leader, he is the most logical choice. They could make a great scene for him in his palace or the Hagia Sofia

Sparthage
Feb 26, 2012, 04:15 PM
It's been about 75 votes since I did this, so time for another leaderboard check.

1) Byzantines - 53
2) Celts - 51
3) Netherlands - 46
4) Carthaginians - 40
5) Mayans - 35

Well, it seems that the Celts and Byzantines are pulling away from the pack now while Carthage and the Maya are falling behind.

Lee The Great
Mar 16, 2012, 06:03 AM
I've seen on wikipedia that the Byzantone leader is Theodora...I know this is not in any way a credible source and have yet to see any real proof...I seriously hope this is wrong...Justinian would be the better choice...if it is Theodora i will be very dissipointed.

Louis XXIV
Mar 16, 2012, 08:42 AM
It is Theodora. Personally, I think both her and Justinian are bad choices, but they're not horrible choices.

AriochIV
Mar 16, 2012, 12:31 PM
How is Justinian a bad choice? He expanded the empire to its greatest extent and built the Hagia Sophia.

ShahJahanII
Mar 16, 2012, 12:44 PM
How is Justinian a bad choice? He expanded the empire to its greatest extent and built the Hagia Sophia.

I'm fine with Justinian.
Although Queen Dido bothers me.
Wasn't she a myth? A "King Arthur" type person?

Louis XXIV
Mar 16, 2012, 01:58 PM

And by expanding, he bankrupted the Empire and left it vulnerable. Then those conquests more or less evaporated after his death. His conquests basically just left a wake of destruction with little to show for them.

Don't get me wrong, he's also important for preserving the old Roman law in the Code of Justinian. However, that's my biggest complaint. He was too Roman. His goal was to reconquer the western half of the Empire. Other Emperors were more "Byzantine" in that they focused on making the Eastern Empire great even without depending on its connection to the west. There's a reason Justinian is known as "The Last Roman Emperor." I like the idea of a Greek-speaking Eastern Emperor.

Also, while it might have just been propaganda, he came off as fairly cowardly during the riots in Constantinople (this was Theodora's time to shine, though).

Deggial
Mar 16, 2012, 02:38 PM
I voted Celts when this poll was started.

But now, as we have heard about the Huns, I would even like to vote them. Because I'm just curious how they will play. The *could* be so different to everything we are used to. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11328607&postcount=289) *If* Firaxis is daring enough...

So, as they have such a big potential and we know so little about them, they are my new "most anticipated civ".

Eagle Pursuit
Mar 16, 2012, 02:40 PM
I agree. I think we have enough new info out that there should be a new poll.

Nyanko
Mar 16, 2012, 03:00 PM
I'm fine with Justinian.
Although Queen Dido bothers me.
Wasn't she a myth? A "King Arthur" type person?

Dido's good, shes different from the norm and hopefully Carthage will be better for it; after all, Hannibal only ruled Carthage for one term before he was sent into exile, he was known more for his military exploits rather than his governance. I felt I could never really get into Carthage as Hannibal, but Dido, the citys legendary founder is another story. While there are many myths surrounding Elissa/Dido, some say she was a goddess made leader, the personification of the Phonetician goddess, and patron goddess of Carthage, Tanit. Others say that she was a historical person, described in surviving historical records, including family trees; indeed, her father was a real King of Tyre. But whatever you believe, don't believe Vigil; indeed never believe any Roman source when it comes to Carthage; they're horrendously bias particularly those written in the Imperial era.

And Basil I the Macedonian would have been the best choice for Byzantine Leader, not Justinian or his Empress.

Louis XXIV
Mar 16, 2012, 03:41 PM
Personally, I put her vaguely in the same category as Gilgamesh. Mostly just a legend, but possibly based on a real person. Brennus and Ragnar fall into this category too, but notice they aren't coming back.

The problem is it's like having King Romulus lead the Romans. Carthage had a pretty cool government that is basically ignored by having a semi-mythical monarch instead.

Bowsling
Mar 16, 2012, 04:00 PM
Justinian's issue, as with almost every other Roman emperor (aside from the five good Emperors) was that he didn't have a good heir. The Eastern Empire made a huge resurgence under him, and the finances were in excellent shape by his death. What promptly ruined the empire was fresh Persian invasions combined with terrible leadership.

I agree about Justinian though. If they are to have a separate Byzantine civilization, they might as well draw their inspiration from the Greek empire of the Middle Ages rather than the Latin Empire from before Michael. Lots of good choices from this era, too. Both Basils, Heraclius, Alexius, and even Constantine XI was a good emperor who simply came too late to save the empire.

Stormbolt
Mar 16, 2012, 04:21 PM
I've wanted the Celts as DLC since day 1. I even made myself a Celtic wallpaper for my laptop when I found out about them being in G&K to get hyped about them.

Louis XXIV
Mar 16, 2012, 04:24 PM
I think Kal-el's Celtic civ is what really made me want one. That and the possibility of a double pack with Carthage before I realized doublepacks aren't likely to happen outside of Spain/Inca.

DutchJob
Mar 18, 2012, 05:17 AM
I wanted to vote for the Huns. Really.

Art Grin
Mar 18, 2012, 06:13 AM
I'm very excited for the Byzantines, whom I loved in both Civ3 and Civ4. I hope they have both the Cataphract and Dromon this time around.:cool:

anandus
Mar 18, 2012, 06:19 AM
I think Kal-el's Celtic civ is what really made me want one. That and the possibility of a double pack with Carthage before I realized doublepacks aren't likely to happen outside of Spain/Inca.Why is that?

Louis XXIV
Mar 18, 2012, 08:51 AM
It only happened once. It happened because they promised they'd do one long before they actually started making the DLC. They've had other opportunities since then but went in different directions. When you sell two civs together, you sell it at a discounted price. Since civs are the most expensive thing to make, they've discovered it's more economical to sell the civs with a map pack or a world wonders pack instead. That way the discount doesn't outweigh the cost of making the civ in the first place.

I'm not saying they won't. I'm just saying, based on my reading of the tea leaves, it doesn't seem very likely.

Babri
Mar 19, 2012, 12:46 AM
I wanted to vote for the Huns. Really.

Me too. I really loved Attila the Hun scenario in AOEII. :)

Sparthage
Mar 19, 2012, 09:26 AM
I wanted to vote for the Huns. Really.I made the poll before we knew the Huns would be in, so no Huns. When we find out the identity of another civ, I'll make a new poll and have this one closed.

nokmirt
Mar 19, 2012, 09:33 AM
I made the poll before we knew the Huns would be in, so no Huns. When we find out the identity of another civ, I'll make a new poll and have this one closed.

I voted Carthage, because I want to create two Punic War scenarios. I have tons of info on those wars. Not sure if I'll get around to it though. I have a lot to learn about modding this game. Civ 3 and 4 I can mod all day long. We need the .dll for CiV badly.

In the new poll I will vote for the Huns. Unless the unknown choice is better.

Louis XXIV
Mar 19, 2012, 09:34 AM
I made the poll before we knew the Huns would be in, so no Huns. When we find out the identity of another civ, I'll make a new poll and have this one closed.

Why not wait for all of them in that case?

Lee The Great
Mar 19, 2012, 08:06 PM
Im looking forward to the expansion pack but the fact they haven't choose Justinian is a huge let down for me....oh well I will enjoy the return of religion.

theadder
Mar 19, 2012, 08:26 PM
Im looking forward to the expansion pack but the fact they haven't choose Justinian is a huge let down for me....oh well I will enjoy the return of religion.

Yes, I don't mind Dido instead of the assumed Hannibal, but I am a bit disappointed by the lack of Justinian. That could have been done so well with the art in Civilisation V.

The Garibaldi
Mar 19, 2012, 08:42 PM
Personally, I cannot wait for the Dutch. Having been disappointed with the current naval Civs (England and the Ottomans), hopefully the Dutch's "Trading Company" UA will bring much more to the table than "Barbary Corsairs" or "Sun Never Sets". Additionally, the strengthening of naval warfare in G&K will definitely make naval Civs more important then they are now...

Louis XXIV
Mar 19, 2012, 09:42 PM

I'm disappointed they didn't choose Alexios Komnenos or Basil I. At least Theodora will likely speak Greek, which will deemphasize their ancient origins and emphasize their role as a Medieval civilization.

BTW, speaking of the Byzantines. Do people think their ability works if they don't get a religion? Not that it would be the only civ where the ability isn't used (Spain is limited if it doesn't discover wonders first), but it's the only one that would be binary based on in-game actions.

TheKingOfBigOz
Mar 20, 2012, 12:13 AM
I'm disappointed they didn't choose Alexios Komnenos or Basil I. At least Theodora will likely speak Greek, which will deemphasize their ancient origins and emphasize their role as a Medieval civilization.

BTW, speaking of the Byzantines. Do people think their ability works if they don't get a religion? Not that it would be the only civ where the ability isn't used (Spain is limited if it doesn't discover wonders first), but it's the only one that would be binary based on in-game actions.

WE don't know their full UA, all we know is the get a bonus belief. A lot of nations have additional bonuses.

SammyKhalifa
Mar 20, 2012, 08:11 AM
Back to the original topic . . . the first game of CivII I ever played was as Carthage, so I look back to going back to Carthage. I don't know, they always just seemed like a "cool" civ to pick at the time . . .

comatosedragon
Mar 21, 2012, 04:00 AM
Maya. Just to give us another civilization over here. It was getting lonely!

[plus its 2012]

Lee The Great
Mar 22, 2012, 07:12 AM
Yes, I don't mind Dido instead of the assumed Hannibal, but I am a bit disappointed by the lack of Justinian. That could have been done so well with the art in Civilisation V.

I've searched the net and have yet to find any "official" announcement about them using Theodora for the Byzantines. So at the moment I'm still holding onto hope for Justinian.

Anyone heared if they are goign to add the USSR?

TheKingOfBigOz
Mar 22, 2012, 07:16 AM
Why on earth woudl they add USSR if we already have Russia? Doesn't really make sense to me.

And I think Theodora was confirmed somewhere.

The_J
Mar 22, 2012, 07:18 AM
I've searched the net and have yet to find any "official" announcement about them using Theodora for the Byzantines. So at the moment I'm still holding onto hope for Justinian.

click (http://www.desktopreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1811&news=civilization+v+5+gods+and+kings+expansion+pac k+2k+gdc&p=2)

While we were playing, we saw that Queen Theodora was secretly plotting against Dido, the queen of Carthage.

That's probably as likely as the addition of the 3rd Reich, GDR and modern germany.

GenjiKhan
Mar 22, 2012, 07:19 AM

If there's a list of Civilizations requested and organizeted,the USSR would be the latest one,because it's just Russia with Order SP branch .

Sparthage
Mar 22, 2012, 07:38 AM
I guess I'll do one last update.

1) Netherlands - 75 (Last Time: 3rd with 46)
2) Byzantines - 66 (Last Time: 1st with 53)
3) Celts - 61 (Last Time: 2nd with 51)
4) Carthaginians - 55 (Last Time: 4th with 40)
5) Mayans - 50 (Last Time: 5th with 35)

Obviously, the Dutch have had a spike in popularity in the last month. The Mayans remained the least anticipated, a position they've held for quite some time.

Louis XXIV
Mar 22, 2012, 10:48 AM
I think having some knowledge of their units or abilities might change their popularity.

shaglio
Mar 22, 2012, 10:49 AM
The Mayans remained the least anticipated, a position they've held for quite some time.

I would have voted for the Mayans if we got 2 votes, but the Celts just barely edged them out on my anticipation meter.

Montov
Mar 22, 2012, 11:04 AM
Obviously, the Dutch have had a spike in popularity in the last month.

A Dutch spy rigged the election. :mischief:

Gucumatz
Mar 22, 2012, 02:11 PM
Well the reason I honestly think the top 3 have the lead is because we know something about each of their UAs and some of them we even know about their units. That fact lends to more excitement.

m@jan
Mar 23, 2012, 05:48 PM
I voted "Netherlands". Coffeeshop-improvement would be hilarious:lol:

Lee The Great
Mar 23, 2012, 10:16 PM
I feel they should add more than one leader to a civilization (like they did in BTS) that's is one of the main things I really enjoyed about that game. You had the option of choosing more than one leader...such as Queen Victoria or Churchill for England. I hope to see that happen with Civ 5 at some point.

Rob (R8XFT)
Mar 24, 2012, 12:40 AM
I feel they should add more than one leader to a civilization (like they did in BTS) that's is one of the main things I really enjoyed about that game. You had the option of choosing more than one leader...such as Queen Victoria or Churchill for England. I hope to see that happen with Civ 5 at some point.

You never know, that may be the theme of a future expansion :).

Deggial
Mar 24, 2012, 04:34 AM
Honestly, I couldn't care less about multiple leaders!

There are no generic traits any more in CiV that just are mixed differently with new leaders as in Civ4. CiV's UAs are part of the civs and ballanced with their UU/UB currently. (Strong UA -> weaker UUs). Additionally, UA and UU form combos very often.

*If* there would be new leaders, each of them must have a totally new, unique, inspired and balanced UA. I really don't think it's worth the effort! It costs money to do so. Money, I want to be spent on other parts of the game: AI, new units, new civs (and not only new leaders for already existing ones), new concepts.

theadder
Mar 24, 2012, 04:37 AM

There are no generic traits any more in CiV that just are mixed differently with new leaders as in Civ4. CiV's UAs are part of the civs and ballanced with their UU/UB currently. (Strong UA -> weaker UUs). Additionally, UA and UU form combos very often.

*If* there would be new leaders, each of them must have a totally new, unique, inspired and balanced UA. I really don't think it's worth the effort! It costs money to do so. Money, I want to be spent on other parts of the game: AI, new units, new civs (and not only new leaders for already existing ones), new concepts.

I had hoped in the past that they might introduce additional multiple leaders for at least some of the civilisations, but I think that you are probably right. Even with the costs of doing so set aside, it is probably not worth it in terms of the depletion of ideas that takes place; better to use ideas for unique abilities to introduce new civilisations.

I had noticed that the unique buildings and units are not attached to the leader or civilisation solely, but split between them. I do still wonder if this was somewhat intentional.

Probably things to stay as they are, however.

Mango Elephant
Mar 24, 2012, 07:47 AM
I voted "Netherlands". Coffeeshop-improvement would be hilarious:lol:

I feel special because I actually know what that means. :)

Lee The Great
Mar 24, 2012, 02:54 PM

I disagree with you

ShahJahanII
Mar 24, 2012, 04:09 PM
I disagree with you

I agree with him.
Maybe after the xp is released they can worry about that.

AbsintheRed
Mar 24, 2012, 04:44 PM
Actually most of these are valid points regarding multiple leaders
IMO the best would be to merge the benefits of the Civ V and Civ IV systems:

All civs have different UAs, which is the most important - and thus the most powerful bonus
This is in sync with UUs and UBs, the things which are tied directly to the civ
So UAs can truly emphasize the differences of the given civs, the way it already happened in Civ V

Each civ could get multiple leaders if they get a couple different traits - but both positive and negative, like it was already implemented in quite a few Civ IV mods.
All these traits would be smaller bonuses and penalties, IMO it would already spice up gameplay pretty decently.

But what's even more important about multiple leaders: personality.
Seemingly everyone forgets this, but it can - and should - have a huge impact on the AI playstyle.
I want to see a very differently controlled Greece, when played against AI Alexander or against AI Pericles.
AI personalities was solved almost perfectly in Civ IV, combined with the small bonuses and penalties from leader traits it would give a very nice touch to Civ V as well

Louis XXIV
Mar 24, 2012, 06:48 PM
While it would certainly impact play style to a degree, I think it's only to a limited amount. For example, for those clambering for Justinian and Theodora, how would the AI play them differently?

AbsintheRed
Mar 25, 2012, 04:15 AM
While it would certainly impact play style to a degree, I think it's only to a limited amount. For example, for those clambering for Justinian and Theodora, how would the AI play them differently?

How about Theodora and Basil II or Heraclius for Byzantium?
Just to stick with the expansion civs: how about having both Dido and Hannibal for Carthage; both Boudica and Vercingetorix for the Celts?

Having multiple leaders could greatly improve the complete feel of the civ:
For the Byzantine, we could have not only a more or less roman leader, but a "real", greek Byzantine one too.
For the Celts noone would feel it represents only the Britons

The same is true to many of the previously released civs too
If implemented correctly, multiple leaders only have benefits. Especially on replayability and on the overall feel

Carl5872
Mar 27, 2012, 05:18 AM
Why are the Huns not included in this poll? To my knowledge they have NEVER been included in a civ game except as generic barbarians. Plus the nature of their civilization suggests that they may have a groundbreaking flavor that moves away from cities, something that has never been done before in the Civ series. Even if you never play as them, I think everyone will want to see how theyre implemented.

To me, they just blow all the other civs out of the water as far as my anticipation.

Camikaze
Mar 27, 2012, 05:30 AM
The poll was created over a month ago, before the Huns were announced. ;)

Carl5872
Mar 27, 2012, 05:56 AM
The poll was created over a month ago, before the Huns were announced. ;)

Well that explains it.

Need a new poll then

TheKingOfBigOz
Mar 27, 2012, 05:59 AM
I think it was stated that once few more civs are announced a new poll will be posted.

Carl5872
Mar 27, 2012, 06:05 AM
I think it was stated that once few more civs are announced a new poll will be posted.

Do you think they WILL release all the new civs in advance? Don't get me wrong, I am eager to find out, but I'd imagine they want to keep some stuff a surprise.

Camikaze
Mar 27, 2012, 06:15 AM
I imagine they would. I mean, people like to know what's in a product they're paying for, so there'll be a point where holding back information to steadily build hype won't be as advantageous as telling everyone all the details. Especially seeing as civs are presumably one of the better marketing tools (see the Dutch articles talking about the inclusion of the Dutch).

awesome
Mar 27, 2012, 02:10 PM
i could see them maybe keeping quiet on one civilization until the very last minute, but not on 3 or 4 of them.

ShahJahanII
Mar 27, 2012, 06:28 PM
I imagine they would. I mean, people like to know what's in a product they're paying for, so there'll be a point where holding back information to steadily build hype won't be as advantageous as telling everyone all the details. Especially seeing as civs are presumably one of the better marketing tools (see the Dutch articles talking about the inclusion of the Dutch).

Someone once suggested that the devs are trying to represent ethnicites from all around the world as their "golden age" counterparts.
For example, Eastern Europe as the Huns.
I agree with the civs being a huge factor in marketing in this sense.

nokmirt
Mar 28, 2012, 06:40 AM
i could see them maybe keeping quiet on one civilization until the very last minute, but not on 3 or 4 of them.

Which civs do you want added awesome?

SammyKhalifa
Mar 28, 2012, 08:03 AM
I realize it's a longshot, but the Tibetan Empire could be very interesting and different.

TheKingOfBigOz
Mar 28, 2012, 08:12 AM
I realize it's a longshot, but the Tibetan Empire could be very interesting and different.

I actually would love Tibet, especially with religion being added in, they could easily get faith from hills or mountains nearby.

Sparthage
Mar 28, 2012, 08:51 AM
Well that explains it.

Need a new poll thenI think it was stated that once few more civs are announced a new poll will be posted.Yes. Yes it was.I made the poll before we knew the Huns would be in, so no Huns. When we find out the identity of another civ, I'll make a new poll and have this one closed.I think they'll announce at least one more civ before releasing it. They might leave one or two unannounced until the last minute, but doing so might hurt their initial sales.I actually would love Tibet, especially with religion being added in, they could easily get faith from hills or mountains nearby.I could see that happening. But there's another thread that's more appropriate for that discussion.

awesome
Mar 29, 2012, 03:05 AM
I actually would love Tibet, especially with religion being added in, they could easily get faith from hills or mountains nearby.

well, that would be kind of similar to the celt ability, just with a different terrain feature

awesome
Apr 01, 2012, 10:39 AM
Which civs do you want added awesome?

oh, i didn't even see this post before. i've already said it in the other thread, but ethiopia would be great for more fun with religion. i'd also like another native american group, possibly pueblo or inuit for an improvement to a tile that's normally unusable right now (desert and snow, respectively). for the last one, i'm not really picky. zulu's always fun and possible, but i'm not sure if i'd prefer them or something asian.

and i can't remember if i said who i voted for in the poll or not, but i think i remember voting for carthage.

Capt Ajax
Apr 01, 2012, 06:46 PM
Carthage of course!

Ciek
Apr 05, 2012, 02:32 AM
Celts, Celts and more Celts. I miss my one v. one Celts vs Rome games in Civ IV.:mischief:

Guandao
Apr 05, 2012, 11:57 AM
Someone once suggested that the devs are trying to represent ethnicites from all around the world as their "golden age" counterparts.
For example, Eastern Europe as the Huns.
I agree with the civs being a huge factor in marketing in this sense.

The Huns were the golden age of Eastern Europe??????? Seriously:lol:

awesome
Apr 05, 2012, 04:48 PM
at least as far as antiquity goes, i'd say so.

Cicero63
Apr 06, 2012, 04:54 PM
I change my mind on my most anticipated civ-it is now going to be Austria

Arkangelus
Apr 06, 2012, 07:06 PM
Huns, now! Turn 1, get a worker out, rush towards early wonders with my untouchable production and enjoy a conquest edge throughout the whole game as my veteran Battering Rams' city promotion transfers up through pikemen and riflemen.

nokmirt
Apr 06, 2012, 07:24 PM
Any guess on who the last civ is???

I'd like to see the Sioux, Pueblo, Apache, Comance or something like that to go with the Iroquois.

Tibet is another choice. Belgium would be interesting.

Venice could be another choice, although it is a city state. Especially for the "Into the Renaissance" scenario.

Portugal could be the ninth civ though. They would fit quite well into the theme of this expansion IMO.

Louis XXIV
Apr 06, 2012, 07:28 PM
I feel it's gotta be something from Asia, but I'm not exactly confident.

nokmirt
Apr 06, 2012, 07:36 PM
I feel it's gotta be something from Asia, but I'm not exactly confident.

Most likely Asia or North America. I am not sure either though.

turingmachine
Apr 06, 2012, 07:42 PM
Any guess on who the last civ is???

I really think the most likely candidates for the last spot are Sumer, Majapahit, or the Sioux. Europe is almost definitly done for now and Portugal has been disconfirmed, if the Zulu were in they would have been announced already, and those three civs are the most likely choices for the areas/eras I feel they would choose from while also having a degree of name recognition.

Cicero63
Apr 06, 2012, 07:45 PM
Why just do Venice when you could do all of Italy?

nokmirt
Apr 06, 2012, 07:48 PM
Why just do Venice when you could do all of Italy?

Why not? It fits WWI that would be fine by me. They probably won't because of Rome though.

Cicero63
Apr 06, 2012, 07:57 PM
The solution to the Rome as capital is easy. Both Florence and Milan were capital of Italy before Rome, so they could choose one of those. They could put emphasis on the Renaissance and WWI eras for Italy, perhaps a condotteri and one of Garibaldi's Red Shirts for unique units

Louis XXIV
Apr 06, 2012, 08:38 PM
There are a couple of reasons to have the Most Serene Republic instead. One, unified Italy evokes modern Italy, which has a less than stellar record. Second, Venice brought things to the table separate from the others: They weren't just a City-State but had an Empire, Their oligarchy was unique in that there was no internal strive, and They lasted longer than the other city-states and resisted French and German/Austrian influence. Finally, third, the aforementioned overlapping capital problem. While Florence might not like to admit it, the capital of Italy, even in the Renaissance, was Rome.

That being said, if they went with Italy as a whole, it would allow for a greater cultural focus because Venice never quite reached Florence and Rome levels.

Sparthage
Apr 06, 2012, 09:28 PM
New Poll. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=458489)

Added: Huns, Austrians, and Ethiopians

The_J
Apr 06, 2012, 09:53 PM
New Poll. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=458489)

Please use that thread for further discussions :).
Closed.