View Full Version : New Treaties / Deplomacy options

Skidizzle
Mar 06, 2012, 04:12 AM
I'd like a little more variety in the diplomacy field. There just aren't enough ways to interact peacefully with your neighbors (or to back-stab them) available.

When CivV came out I thought it was too watered down compared to CivIV but a few new diplomatic options did peak my interest. Such as:

Denouncing.
The option to have one sided Open Boarders.
Research Agreements.
Declarations of Friendship.
Requesting that other leaders not build any more new cities near you.

We could take these and apply them to concepts in HR like having Espionage Agreements against a specific civ, and free trade agreements that increase the commerce of trade routes between the two civs (either separate from open boarders or as a bonus to it)

Could there be a way to arbitrate more effectively between other civs to end wars or undercut trade agreements?

Plus, something I miss from CivIII was the ability to ask for loans (lump sums of gold in exchange for gold per turn). Could that make a comeback?

Also I hate how Civs that are bitter enemies against can ask me to "lend a hand" and gift them a tech yet I'm forced to threaten them to do the same thing. Or when they have something they "just don't want to share yet" I can't just threaten to blow them off the map if they don't give it to me.

Maybe even having the ability to force a civ to give a resource to another civ would be a fun twist?

Xyth
Mar 06, 2012, 02:35 PM
Unfortunately diplomacy and AI strategy are aspects of the game that are almost completely inaccessible to modding on Mac. Many elements (such as the diplomacy negotiations screen) are inaccessible in the Windows version too.

Some stuff may be achievable in a limited fashion via the events system though, I'd have to look into it once I get the todo list whittled down a bit. This unit art optimization overhaul is taking much longer than I anticipated. Worth it though, seeing some noticeable performance improvements.

Eucalyptus
Mar 07, 2012, 09:13 AM
Also I hate how Civs that are bitter enemies against can ask me to "lend a hand" and gift them a tech yet I'm forced to threaten them to do the same thing. Or when they have something they "just don't want to share yet" I can't just threaten to blow them off the map if they don't give it to me.

Yes, I've also always missed the extortion option that isn't a bluff: "Give me what I want or I will declare war". But, as Xyth remarks, this isn't accessible.