View Full Version : Gods & Kings What Language will the Huns Speak?

Suppiluliuma 1
Mar 10, 2012, 06:38 AM
G'day everyone, long time lurker here on CivFanatics, finally joined up.

I have a question, like to know what others think.

In the upcoming expansion of Gods & Kings, apparently The Huns will make their debut. I am wondering what language the Hun AI will speak. As there is not enough historical information available that identifies the language these nomadic people spoke.
Historical sources state that many languages were spoken in the Hunnic empire, including Hunnic.
Linguists speculate that the Hunnic language was similar to the Turkic and Mongolian language families,and that it may be a member of the Oghur branch of the Trukic Language family.
I wonder how the game developers addressed this interesting issue.

Suppiluliuma 1

Now, finally, the cattle have chosen their stable. They have definitely come to my county!

Kimuyama
Mar 10, 2012, 07:02 AM
I heard somewhere that Gothic functioned as a lingua Franca in the Hunnic empire, they might settle for that, or go the (really, really) lazy route and have them speak hungarian

vonbach
Mar 10, 2012, 07:38 AM
I heard somewhere that Gothic functioned as a lingua Franca in the Hunnic empire, they might settle for that, or go the (really, really) lazy route and have them speak hungarianI think thats were there going. I think there just going to make them Hungarians.

CYZ
Mar 10, 2012, 09:06 AM
Uhm, obviously they will speak Hunnic...

:mischief:

guczy
Mar 10, 2012, 09:09 AM
I think thats were there going. I think there just going to make them Hungarians.

That would be incredibly stupid

Vlade Divac
Mar 10, 2012, 09:24 AM
My money is on pig latin or jive.

Eagle Pursuit
Mar 10, 2012, 09:43 AM
I'm guessing Gothic.

MkLh
Mar 10, 2012, 10:40 AM
That would be incredibly stupid

Yeah, that would be a terrible historical inaccuracy. According to many scholars, Chuvash probably is the closest relative to hunnic among living languages.

Gucumatz
Mar 10, 2012, 10:55 AM
I am going to guess this will be the lazy eyed civ a lot of people won't be happy with, so Hungarian.

seasnake
Mar 10, 2012, 11:09 AM
I'll guess Gothic, but I'm still annoyed that Ramses doesn't speak Coptic, so who knows?

Louis XXIV
Mar 10, 2012, 11:27 AM
Gothic would be a good choice. How easy would it be to get someone who speaks that.

turingmachine
Mar 10, 2012, 11:42 AM
Gothic would be a good choice. How easy would it be to get someone who speaks that.

Not hard. Despite being extinct it's fully attested and popular to study because it's essential in reconstructing proto-Germanic. I mean, there are hundreds of Youtube videos of people speaking Gothic, if that's any indication. (Though I'm sure the accent will be a little off leaning towards modern German).

Oohforf
Mar 10, 2012, 11:44 AM
Not hard. Despite being extinct it's fully attested and popular to study because it's essential in reconstructing proto-Germanic. I mean, there are hundreds of Youtube videos of people speaking Gothic, if that's any indication.

I have to agree here.

They could have at least have some form of a transliteration, like they SHOULD have done with Ramesses, instead of having him speak Arabic.

Thorburne
Mar 10, 2012, 01:06 PM
Well, considering that Firaxis is located in Maryland on the outskirts of Baltimore... maybe the Huns will speak the language of the Baltimore Hons!

Bawlamarese (http://www.baltimorehon.com/)
:D

Seriously, though... Gothic would be cool, I suppose, though maybe Hungarian or Romanian?!? I figure that it might be a little difficult to find somebody to speak the lines for a video game in some of the ancient languages.

Louis XXIV
Mar 10, 2012, 01:20 PM
Actually, instead of having them speak Gothic, they're actually going to have Robert Smith of the Cure speak for them.

Keejus
Mar 10, 2012, 03:14 PM
Wait, Huns? When were the Huns confirmed?

Gucumatz
Mar 10, 2012, 04:40 PM

Via interviews, posters, articles, city screenshots, etc.

blackcatatonic
Mar 11, 2012, 07:13 AM
Actually, instead of having them speak Gothic, they're actually going to have Robert Smith of the Cure speak for them.

:lol:

I'll add my vote to the Gothic collective.

Xen
Mar 11, 2012, 07:37 AM
They are really confirmed beyond being just a city state?

MkLh
Mar 11, 2012, 07:42 AM

Huns as a city state would be really really weird.

ShahJahanII
Mar 11, 2012, 07:43 AM

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/09/civilization-v-gods-kings-interview-with-lead-designer-ed-beach/
Second-to-last question.

Suppiluliuma 1
Mar 11, 2012, 07:50 AM
My money is on pig latin or jive.

LOL, that would be funny. How about them speaking Esperanto, or maybe even Klingon?

But, on a serious note, I think that the developers will most likely go with Hungarian.

--------------
Now, Finally the cattle have chosen their stable, They have definitely come to my country!

Suppiluliuma 1

AbsintheRed
Mar 11, 2012, 09:38 AM
But, on a serious note, I think that the developers will most likely go with Hungarian.

Why people keep saying that?
The 2 languages are not even related

Louis XXIV
Mar 11, 2012, 09:53 AM

Attila is on the box. He's definitely in the game.

I should say that, while I don't want the Huns in, my disappointment comes from the fact that it means another civ will not be included. I think they're a poor choice, but it's easy enough just to not play as them.

Art Grin
Mar 11, 2012, 11:04 AM
Attila is on the box. He's definitely in the game.

I should say that, while I don't want the Huns in, my disappointment comes from the fact that it means another civ will not be included. I think they're a poor choice, but it's easy enough just to not play as them.

We know what the box art looks like? Where can I find it?

The_J
Mar 11, 2012, 11:14 AM
We know what the box art looks like? Where can I find it?

click (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11320195&postcount=726) ;).

Huns have also been mentioned in at least one of the articles, and who else could be the leader?

Louis XXIV
Mar 11, 2012, 11:15 AM
The video with Ed Beach. If it's not the box art, it's at least the promo art. It has Attila on one side and possibly Boudicca on the other (it's hard to make out).

CivilizedPlayer
Mar 11, 2012, 01:16 PM

Yes, unfortunately. A recent interview by Curse with the lead designer removed any shred of doubt about whether they'd be included. He said something like "we're adding 3 new civ's that will be used in the Fall of Rome scenario, including the Huns."

Babri
Mar 11, 2012, 01:24 PM
Yes, fortunately. A recent interview by Curse with the lead designer removed any shred of doubt about whether they'd be included. He said something like "we're adding 3 new civ's that will be used in the Fall of Rome scenario, including the Huns."
Corrected. Another horse civ should be fun. How about Mongols Vs Huns. Who will win ? :)

Louis XXIV
Mar 11, 2012, 01:30 PM
I think unfortunately was quite intended, so it's not really polite to edit his quote. The problem with this is the Hunnic Empire was ephemeral. They were nomads who rallied around a single leader and burned out with his death. They had no real lasting achievements, they only left a wake of destruction. They are the epitome of what the barbarians in the civilization series were supposed to represent.

Art Grin
Mar 11, 2012, 01:41 PM
I really wonder how they are going to represent the Huns. Not only gameplay wise but also artsyle wise. Will they look Asian or not, what language will they speak, what cities will they found? There are many questions to be asked about the Huns. I hope they won't turn out to be the same as Mongolia, only with a UU focus on the classical rather than medieval era.

mitsho
Mar 11, 2012, 02:59 PM
Klingon would be funny, since they'd acknowledge how strange that decision was. But the civilization series has had stranger civs and since civ V puts a focus on different gameplay styles for the different civs, the civs are a good choice since they can make them really unique, only one city buildable (no settlers and city lists) + siege bonus + something mobile.

But yes, they're not really a civilization

Guandao
Mar 11, 2012, 06:27 PM
I hope Attila speaks in gibberish. And also his background will be piles of dead people or skulls. And his musical themes a bunch of lousy drumbeats.

Firaxis really disappointed me this time.

vonbach
Mar 11, 2012, 08:32 PM
Their probably going to make them Hungarians.
The Hungarians have always said he's one of them.

Pargali
Mar 12, 2012, 12:09 AM
They should speak Turkish, btw as far as I understand they will be acting in scenario " Fall of Rome" so they are not Hun empire, they should be European-Hun Empire which Atilla leaded not teoman or mete who leaded Hun Empire and forced chinese build great wall.

guczy
Mar 12, 2012, 01:12 AM
Their probably going to make them Hungarians.
The Hungarians have always said he's one of them.

Oh, thats rich. By that logic if they add the Sumerian civ they should speak Hungarian too, cause we do have some idiots who think that we are related to them aswell.

vonbach
Mar 12, 2012, 03:05 AM
Oh, thats rich. By that logic if they add the Sumerian civ they should speak Hungarian too, cause we do have some idiots who think that we are related to them aswell.

The only sources (including their appearance) comes from shall we say a
"biased source." The Hungarians could very well be right. That these people
were their ancestors.

AbsintheRed
Mar 12, 2012, 03:54 AM

Ahh, another fellow Hungarian :)
I also strongly disagree with using Hungarian/Magyar for the Huns
Save it for Hungary in the second expansion, you hear me Firaxis? :p
The best idea I heard so far was to use Gothic language

janboruta
Mar 12, 2012, 04:34 AM
Hungarian would be a terrible choice for the Huns, but it would be understandable if the devs had little time to do the recordings. I don't understand a word from it, despite my trials (but I know enough to remember that Lengyel, Magyar, ket jo barat :D). Gothic would be better, or even some sort of Turkic or Altaic in general? Since there are only speculations about the origins of Hunnic language, there is much liberty and a wide variety of choices. If Ramesses can speak Arabic in Civ, then Attila can speak Kazakh.

Arilian
Mar 12, 2012, 05:14 AM
I am hungarian (and my IRL name is Attila:) ). It is quite clear that hungarians and huns are not related despite the similarites.
If Attila would speak hungarian that would be historically incorrect, but i support it :))

"Fáraszt ez értelmetlen fecsegés. Rendezzük vitánkat csatatéren, mint az igazi férfiak!"

Louis XXIV
Mar 12, 2012, 09:38 AM
I'm hoping there aren't any Greek posters here who might react negatively and if there are, this is a joke, but it would probably be similar to having Alexander speak modern Macedonian.

It's clear that, with well-studied languages, Firaxis is able to have a very authentic speaker. Alexander speaks Attic Greek for example (the language of Athens as opposed to the language of Macedon, but that's still pretty impressive). Augustus speaks classical Latin as opposed to ecclesiastical Latin. Nebuchadnezzar, even though he sounds like he's making monosyllabic grunts, is actually speaking Akkadian.

I don't know if Gothic is as well-documented, though. Especially because you want some badass sounding guy saying it too.

Alk3Crimson
Mar 12, 2012, 09:42 AM
I don't know if Gothic is as well-documented, though. Especially because you want some badass sounding guy saying it too.

This is a valid concern. We all know only scrawny intellectuals study dead languages.

If they tracked down someone to speak Akkadian, I'm sure they will figure something otu for the Huns.

Eagle Pursuit
Mar 12, 2012, 09:51 AM
I'd rather hear poorly translated pseudo-Gothic over a language that doesn't have anything to do with the Huns.

turingmachine
Mar 12, 2012, 11:02 AM

Gothic is almost fully attested, what is missing has been reconstructed, and we have the Wulfila Bible in Gothic. It's one of the most fully known extinct languages. We probably don't know the accent, though it's probably not too bad to just get a "badass sounding" German (or perhaps more accurately Scandinavian) speaker to read it. Atilla probably spoke it with an accent anyway, so have a Turkic speaker read it (though Hunnic might have not been a Turkic or even Altaic language, it would still get the point across).

blackcatatonic
Mar 12, 2012, 11:36 AM
Somehow, given that these are the people that decided to make Queen Elizabeth I sound like a 1950s RP radio presenter, I don't think accuracy of accent is going to be much of a concern.

ehecatzin
Mar 12, 2012, 12:03 PM
And Isabella sounds like a whinny child. The thing is, even if they get the language right, if they dont get the right voice actor to pull it off, it will suck. As long as Attila sounds badass and menacing, I think I'll be happy.

Depravo
Mar 12, 2012, 12:11 PM
Shouldn't be too hard to find a deep-voiced Kirghiz driving a taxi or something.

SammyKhalifa
Mar 12, 2012, 12:19 PM
And Isabella sounds like a whinny child. The thing is, even if they get the language right, if they dont get the right voice actor to pull it off, it will suck. As long as Attila sounds badass and menacing, I think I'll be happy.

Yeah, I agree. Let's be honest here, most people aren't going to know if the actor is speaking a dead language with a historically-accurate regional accent.

Thorburne
Mar 12, 2012, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I agree. Let's be honest here, most people aren't going to know if the actor is speaking a dead language with a historically-accurate regional accent.

You've got a point! While some people will know, the majority of players won't! In fact, they could have a leader speak Klingon and many people wouldn't have much of an idea.

Nyanko
Mar 12, 2012, 12:38 PM
I'm hoping there aren't any Greek posters here who might react negatively and if there are, this is a joke, but it would probably be similar to having Alexander speak modern Macedonian.

It's clear that, with well-studied languages, Firaxis is able to have a very authentic speaker. Alexander speaks Attic Greek for example (the language of Athens as opposed to the language of Macedon, but that's still pretty impressive). Augustus speaks classical Latin as opposed to ecclesiastical Latin. Nebuchadnezzar, even though he sounds like he's making monosyllabic grunts, is actually speaking Akkadian.

I'm personally wondering how they will deal with Dido. I really don't think there are many Phoenician speakers out there these days.
Maybe use ancient Hebrew (since the languages are similar)? I'm sure you could find a few who speak that language somewhere.

mitsho
Mar 12, 2012, 12:51 PM
Probably Berber. Hebrew would feel funny, since they're not close geographically and Israel is culturally different. It's probably easy to find someone speaking Berber, it can be attributed to the region and of course, it's not historical at all, but that matters little (= Ramses speaking an Arabic Dialect). MAybe she will speak Tunisian Arabic?

But yes, Punic is difficult to speak, since we don't know how it sounds ;)

Nyanko
Mar 12, 2012, 01:00 PM
Probably Berber. Hebrew would feel funny, since they're not close geographically and Israel is culturally different. It's probably easy to find someone speaking Berber, it can be attributed to the region and of course, it's not historical at all, but that matters little (= Ramses speaking an Arabic Dialect). MAybe she will speak Tunisian Arabic?

But yes, Punic is difficult to speak, since we don't know how it sounds ;)

maybe... but Dido was from Tyre originally; they spoke Phoenician there, not Berber.

Louis XXIV
Mar 12, 2012, 01:23 PM
And Isabella sounds like a whinny child.

I think she sounds young, but I don't know about whiny. Then again, she was 23 when she started her rule if I'm not mistaken.

I'm personally wondering how they will deal with Dido. I really don't think there are many Phoenician speakers out there these days.
Maybe use ancient Hebrew (since the languages are similar)? I'm sure you could find a few who speak that language somewhere.

I suspect they'll go with Tunisian Arabic since it's one of the most widely spoken Arabic dialects (iirc, when they dubbed Harry Potter into Arabic, they used Tunisian). Obviously, it's not the most realistic but, honestly, it's more realistic than Berber. They could theoretically go with Lebanese Arabic because she's an immigrant from Tyre so that's the modern analog over there. Hebrew might be the closest living language, but I suspect they'll use something else.

Obviously, we want her to speak Western Punic, but, failing that, Eastern Phoenician wouldn't be a bad choice. There's youtube videos of people speaking it, so it's not impossible. You'd have to do some hunting, though.

Alexastor
Mar 12, 2012, 01:32 PM
Why not let Attila's horse speak instead of him?

:deadhorse:

Problem fixed :king:

Morningcalm
Mar 12, 2012, 04:35 PM
What language did Carthage units speak in Civ 4? They'll likely just use that language again for Dido.

Guandao
Mar 12, 2012, 05:17 PM
They definitely used a Berber language for the Carthaginian units in Civ4. Apparently Kabyle (spoken in Algeria)

Louis XXIV
Mar 12, 2012, 05:45 PM
They spoke Berber, but the Numidian Mercenaries did speak berber, so that makes sense.

MkLh
Mar 13, 2012, 12:26 AM
The best idea I heard so far was to use Gothic language

Gothic is a poor choice. Even if it was the lingua franca of the Hun empire, it's unlikely that Attila himself spoke it. Rather pick some Turkic language.

Thorburne
Mar 13, 2012, 03:01 AM
Gothic is a poor choice. Even if it was the lingua franca of the Hun empire, it's unlikely that Attila himself spoke it. Rather pick some Turkic language.

I think Gothic would be more accurate than a Turkic language. After all, by all accounts that I have seen, the Huns came from the Steppes of Asia (they have been associated with the Mongols). Their language was probably closer to an early version of whatever the Mongolians spoke at the time, perhaps mixed with the German/eastern European tongues in the area.

MkLh
Mar 13, 2012, 04:56 AM
I think Gothic would be more accurate than a Turkic language. After all, by all accounts that I have seen, the Huns came from the Steppes of Asia (they have been associated with the Mongols). Their language was probably closer to an early version of whatever the Mongolians spoke at the time, perhaps mixed with the German/eastern European tongues in the area.

Most scholars think Hunnic was a Turkic language. Turkic languages have their origins in Central Asia and they are spoken even in Mongolia. However, the Huns had nothing to to with Gothic, which is a Germanic language with European origins. Goths were just the people that Huns defeated. If you put Attila to speak Gothic, using the same logic Napoleon should speak German and William the Conqueror Anglo-Saxon.

Eagle Pursuit
Mar 13, 2012, 07:45 AM
Except that Atilla needed to communicate with the Roman empires. He did so several times. They signed treaties, and some woman begged him to rescue her from a marriage. They needed to have a common language to do that. The Romans would have been familiar with Gothic and the Huns conquered Gothic peoples. It makes sense that the Huns would communicate with the western world through that medium.

It's not like you are Atilla's general or anything. You are a foreign leader and he is negotiating with you in the language of negotiation. He can talk to his slaves and horses in Hunnic, but he will speak to you in Gothic.

Depravo
Mar 13, 2012, 08:38 AM
It's not like you are Atilla's general or anything. You are a foreign leader and he is negotiating with you in the language of negotiation. He can talk to his slaves and horses in Hunnic, but he will speak to you in Gothic.

Given how the game is set up at present, this is some severely tortured logic, since 'the language of diplomacy' will be situational and in any case all the other leaders speak their own languages (or at least Firaxis' take on them).

Were I a Polynesian king and some unwashed nomadic douche rode up and started mouthing off in Gothic or Latin because it was the language of diplomacy in OTL I would rape him and eat him.

Alk3Crimson
Mar 13, 2012, 08:42 AM
Given how the game is set up at present, this is some severely tortured logic, since 'the language of diplomacy' will be situational and in any case all the other leaders speak their own languages (or at least Firaxis' take on them).

Were I a Polynesian king and some unwashed nomadic douche rode up and started mouthing off in Gothic or Latin because it was the language of diplomacy in OTL I would rape him and eat him.

I lol'd. Really the languages the leaders speak are loose interpretations. You can't expect them all to be spot on. It's not like it has any real impact on the game.

Louis XXIV
Mar 13, 2012, 09:51 AM
I think "some Turkic language" is a bit vague. At least Gothic is specific. Even if he personally didn't speak it, it works well for the Hunic Empire. Just like Aramaic makes a lot of sense for the Achaemenid Empire regardless of what Darius would normally have spoken.

turingmachine
Mar 13, 2012, 12:14 PM

How is that any different than the Polynesian king coming up to Atilla and speaking in an Austronesian language? Yeah, I'm sure the Polynesian king wouldn't be raped and killed. The language of diplomacy wasn't situation, not really, and especially not in Atilla's case considering the groups he primarily encountered.

Khagan1
Mar 13, 2012, 02:57 PM
Hungarian, Turkish or one of the Northern Turkic dialects (I prefer Kumyk) would be accurate for Huns. I will explain why.

First of all most of the posters focus on Attila which only explains his language in particular. Attila was well educated leader who visited Rome and maintained strong relationship with Germanic tribes. His knowledge of languages at that time period of Europe was over average, it can even rival Roman elites.

However Huns were confederation of nomadic tribes dominated by Altaic-Turkic tribes. After the collapse of Hun Empire in the Asia (Asian Hun Empire: http://bit.ly/w8UuDM), tribes migrated to the steppes in north of Black Sea (usual route for Turkic tribes since Scythians) where they met with their far relative Finno-Ugric tribes (Ural branch of Ural-Altaic language group) dominated by Magyars. It must be that period of time when Huns learned to build wooden constructions in forested areas and integrated with Finno-Ugric culture.

This is why when they came to Alföld plains (another route for Turkic tribes), they had a language similar in today's Hungarian and Turkish language. But in either case the language was certainly Ural-Altaic. I assume first period of Europen Hunnic domination language was more like Turkic but in time, perhaps before collapse of the Empire, language was more similar to Hungarian (in two hundred years approximately). It would be historically accurate to choose Northern Turkish dialects (Kazakh, Chuvash, Kumyk) or Hungarian.

I rely on facts and some assumptions summarized above, to support my argument. I can write further detail but I wanted it to be short.

For other language offers for Huns, I can only say they are either too much biased or incredibly ignorant.

For Gothic (so called Lingua Franca). It is known that Huns defeated Ostrogoth when they were attacked by them and that attempt to destroy Huns triggered a series of events which resulted in Fall of Rome. One hundred years of Goth expansion conquered in 3 years. Goths were first to met devastating power of Hun army and they were first to migrate far reaches of Roman empire. It was never Lingua Franca for any of tribes except for some of Germanic tribes, certainly not for Huns. Plus if there was ever international language at that period it was Latin which most of military and administrative elites of different ethnic groups were eager to learn as Huns did. Attila's father, Mundzuk (Boncuk in Turkish, means "pearl") and his grandather Uldiz (Yıldız in Turkish, means "star") might have familiar with Goths but I doubt they knew Gothic language.

For Mongolian. Contrary to general misunderstanding Mongolian was not so much different until son of Genghis Khan, Kublai Khan established his Khanate in Far East of Asia. That geographical separation led them culturally differentiate in 600 years of process. Other parts of Mongolian Empire (Golden Horde, Caghatai Khanate, Il Kahante) quickly fell under Turkish domination as their majority in army and population were Turkish but Kublai Khan's Khanate adopted Chinese and Uighur (another Turkic tribe, Mongolian writing is copy of Uighur) culture. So it would be ethnically, geographically and chronologically wrong to choose Mongolian.

It is very hard to choose language for once powerful but destroyed civilization. It is even harder when they speack Ural Altaic language which spreads across Europe and Asia.
In final analysis, no matter how much they are distant to modern cultures their culture is related to Ural-Altaic sphere which includes both Finno-Ugric and Turkic culture. I know it is long to read but I felt I should give some information about one of the mightiest Empire of the history. It would be unfair to forget their impact on world.

I would gladly listen if there is any misinformation, I humbly wrote only what I know from my personal interest on history in general, and Turkic history in particular. Also I apologize for my English for it is not my mother tongue, I would be sorry if there is any misunderstanding because of it.

Note: The word "Hungar" doesn't derive from Hun. It comes from word "On Ogur" which means "Ten Ogurs". Ogur, Oguz (or Oghuz), Ugor, Uighur are different versions of same word which can be observed in the most of the Ural-Altaic tribe names. Ten Ogurs/Ugors might have been dominant Boy (tribe) in Magyar Uruk (tribe federation) to persist through history.

lolno
Mar 13, 2012, 03:36 PM
The Huns were not related to modern day Hungarians or Turks until much later on. The Huns in Asia were almost all Northeast Asians.

AbsintheRed
Mar 13, 2012, 04:14 PM
@Khagan
I more or less agree with everything you said
One minor thing: I think the Huns were much closer to the Altaic branch than to the Ural branch, so I won't necessary call them relatives with Finno-Ugrians
I do beleive Huns and Magyars (Hungarians) shared some kind of history, probably near the Finno-Ugric homeland near the Ural mountains like you said.
But IMO - as I already said a couple times on this forum - this connection wasn't significant enough. So I'm very much against using Hungarian as the language of Attila

snipperrabbit!!
Mar 14, 2012, 09:53 AM
Ultimately, it will be Chuvash !

Khagan1
Mar 18, 2012, 02:41 PM
The Huns were not related to modern day Hungarians or Turks until much later on. The Huns in Asia were almost all Northeast Asians.

And who were the Northern Asians at that time?

...as I already said a couple times on this forum - this connection wasn't significant enough. So I'm very much against using Hungarian as the language of Attila

I think you are more concerned with future Hungary DLC :). But yes, I agree with you, It would be more accurate to choose Altaic language for Attila.