View Full Version : PAX Gaming Expo

Pouakai
Mar 23, 2012, 11:42 PM
http://www.2kgames.com/blog/2k-games-pax-east

We're going to be showing off Spec Ops: The Line, Borderlands 2, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and Civilization V: Gods & Kings this year

I'm expecting more info for this

Morningcalm
Mar 24, 2012, 12:44 AM
Thanks for discovering this! Looking forward to some news after a long dry period of no news.

ork75
Mar 24, 2012, 07:42 AM
I like the look of this..... Especially because I live in Boston.

Civsassin
Mar 24, 2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks for discovering this! Looking forward to some news after a long dry period of no news.

The main news I am looking for is an official release date.

The_J
Mar 24, 2012, 08:27 AM
Looking forward to some news after a long dry period of no news.

...the dry period has not yet been 2 weeks :lol: ;).

So...anyone in Boston and visiting the PAX? Because we'd like to have some report from there :).

Jo the spearman
Mar 24, 2012, 08:36 AM
With some luck, we'll get two or three new infos but I wouldn't expect much. Still waiting for Denis to answer the questions, it's getting time.

Gamewizard
Mar 24, 2012, 08:42 AM
I live in Providence, RI, about a 45 minute drive to Boston. Hopefully I'll be able to make it on Sunday the 8th but I am not certain I can make it yet.

notadummy
Mar 24, 2012, 09:14 AM
aww man, now I wish I told my friends that I wanted to go to pax with them, but tickets are quite expensive....

apocalypse105
Mar 24, 2012, 12:50 PM
I like the look of this..... Especially because I live in Boston.

When you go posting news you discovered here would be nice and appreciated :rolleyes:

Rob (R8XFT)
Mar 25, 2012, 06:21 AM
Seeing as the demo's going to be shown to the public, I wouldn't be surprised if we heard some more details (such as the other new civs) ahead of this event.

TheKingOfBigOz
Mar 25, 2012, 06:41 AM
I hope we get to see the demo on YouTube then :D xD

shaglio
Mar 26, 2012, 11:01 AM
So...anyone in Boston and visiting the PAX? Because we'd like to have some report from there :).

I live about 20 minutes north of Boston. But with a 5 month old baby (who is not sleeping through the night yet), I don't have the time, energy, or money to attend :(

Snoopaloop
Mar 26, 2012, 01:01 PM
In Worcester (50 miles west) myself. I have never attended any type of video game convention. Anyone know what they are like? I assume you watch a lot of video's of up-coming games, maybe play some demos.

notadummy
Mar 26, 2012, 02:14 PM
good news! :D I convinced several of my friends that already have tickets to PAX to go check out the gods&kings booth! Hopefully they won't tell me the stuff that we already know about it though :confused:

Pouakai
Mar 26, 2012, 09:45 PM
Hopefully they know enough about Civ to not be vauge. I've asked people to do stuff like that before, and sometimes it's really vauge. But that's great news nonetheless!

nokmirt
Mar 26, 2012, 10:34 PM
Hopefully they know enough about Civ to not be vauge. I've asked people to do stuff like that before, and sometimes it's really vauge. But that's great news nonetheless!

I hope so too. Hopefully we get at least a few new updates. We need new things to talk about.

Ford
Mar 27, 2012, 03:26 AM
I would have thought that anything at all of interest about G&K shown at PAX would be in the informed press within hours, if not minutes, and we can have all the discussions we want without it being necessary for (with appropriate apologies) an amateur trying to write a report.

Snoopaloop
Mar 27, 2012, 09:41 AM
I would have thought that anything at all of interest about G&K shown at PAX would be in the informed press within hours, if not minutes, and we can have all the discussions we want without it being necessary for (with appropriate apologies) an amateur trying to write a report.

I feel that most people here on the forums could go to the convention and write a more in depth report about their findings than a majority of the press who are not likely as fanatical as us.

...just look at some of the articles that have come out this week. One claimed the Polynesians as one of the nine new civs.

Eagle Pursuit
Mar 27, 2012, 09:59 AM
PAX has been running since, what, Saturday? The Press have already been there. I would think that if anything new and interesting emerged at the show, it would have been covered by now.

Rob (R8XFT)
Mar 27, 2012, 10:11 AM
PAX has been running since, what, Saturday? The Press have already been there. I would think that if anything new and interesting emerged at the show, it would have been covered by now.

It's Pax East, which runs 6th - 8th April.

Eagle Pursuit
Mar 27, 2012, 10:27 AM
Really? Geeze, I'm off.

Alk3Crimson
Mar 27, 2012, 12:01 PM
I live in Providence, RI, about a 45 minute drive to Boston. Hopefully I'll be able to make it on Sunday the 8th but I am not certain I can make it yet.

Small world, I'm from Warwick.

OT: While PAX is a great even for gamers and super affordable to go to, I'm not sure it has a history of a lot of big announcements. We may get a release date, and possibly confirmation of a new civ or two, but I wouldn't expect a complete reveal. Then again, if release is closer than we think, they very well could have the the complete version of the game on display.

TheKingOfBigOz
Mar 27, 2012, 12:09 PM
I swear Ed or whoever was interview (vids) said that the game is pretty much finished but is in polishing state. which means it's near completion.

Rob (R8XFT)
Mar 27, 2012, 12:13 PM

OT: While PAX is a great even for gamers and super affordable to go to, I'm not sure it has a history of a lot of big announcements. We may get a release date, and possibly confirmation of a new civ or two, but I wouldn't expect a complete reveal. Then again, if release is closer than we think, they very well could have the the complete version of the game on display.

At the very least, we should be able to confirm once and for all whether those warriors in one of the screenshots are Mayan holkans, Ethiopian oromos or Zulu impis!

Pouakai
Mar 27, 2012, 12:22 PM
At the very least, we should be able to confirm once and for all whether those warriors in one of the screenshots are Mayan holkans, Ethiopian oromos or Zulu impis!

Hopefully leaders / civilizations as well. Although I'd be surprised if we don't get new articles from it. (What if the units were using placeholder graphics for one or the other - icon / model?

TheKingOfBigOz
Mar 27, 2012, 12:45 PM
I highly doubt that was placeholder, why on earth would they use a brand new icon as a placeholder? The only thing that's possibly a placeholder is the Dove icon.

Pouakai
Mar 27, 2012, 12:59 PM
I'm meaning what if they used a Mayan icon but another new unit model because they haven't done the Mayan model yet, or vice-versa

TheKingOfBigOz
Mar 27, 2012, 01:12 PM
I'm meaning what if they used a Mayan icon but another new unit model because they haven't done the Mayan model yet, or vice-versa

They would use something from Vanilla. not the actual expansion pack.

Pouakai
Mar 27, 2012, 01:26 PM
Valid point. Although I would have thought a Mayan unit would be more colourful

TheKingOfBigOz
Mar 27, 2012, 02:00 PM
wasn't that screenshot darker (with a pop-up?) that could be reason, it was darker.

MaximusK
Mar 27, 2012, 04:25 PM

One of the last batch of articles was clearly explaining the play by play of the game that those screenies are taken from, one the german articles specifically stated that the Celts were fighting the Mayans with composite bowmans at about the time the great prophet was generated.

nokmirt
Mar 27, 2012, 05:01 PM

I am from CT. I used to make runs to Boston and Springfield all the time. Too bad I cannot be home now, but I live in Iowa. Pax would be on the list for attendence, thats for sure. Beer runs into Rhode Island were also a must. :lol:

Gamewizard
Mar 29, 2012, 06:17 AM

Kool, I actually grew up in West Warwick...small world indeed.

Unfortunately I lost some money at Foxwoods this past weekend and definetly cannot afford PAX. Hopefully my girl's brother who IS going to the event will check out the Civ booth and get back to me with some hands on info.

TokMor
Mar 29, 2012, 11:01 AM
I've been reading this forum a while, but wanted to chime in and say I live in the Boston area and also have a PAX badge heading my way, so I'll see what sort of info I can get on G&K while there. But if they raffle off a free copy and I win it, I'm not sharing that with you guys :p

Pouakai
Mar 29, 2012, 11:36 AM
Awesome!

You can still share info from it though :D

TokMor
Mar 29, 2012, 11:57 AM
Anything in particular I should keep an eye open for?

TheKingOfBigOz
Mar 29, 2012, 12:28 PM
We want the info.. not the game... we have our evil plans to get the game anyways :evil:

moysturfurmer
Mar 29, 2012, 12:40 PM
Anything in particular I should keep an eye open for?

Well if they use the same demo that they used at GDC, then scour the civilopedia for references to the other civs (long shot).

Otherwise, the various uniques abilities either new or changed (Songhai, England etc)

Louis XXIV
Mar 29, 2012, 12:41 PM
Anything they're willing to share that they haven't already would be great.

So we know there's religion and espionage (and have a decent idea how it works). We know there's Carthage, Mayans, Dutch, Byzantines, Huns, and Celts. We don't know the other civs or any civ abilities.

New units or info about the tech tree would be good too.

Eagle Pursuit
Mar 29, 2012, 12:44 PM
Info on the Huns would definitely put some speculation to rest.

Louis XXIV
Mar 29, 2012, 01:08 PM
We don't technically know any more about Carthage, we just apparently aren't as interested in speculating.

TheKingOfBigOz
Mar 29, 2012, 01:15 PM
I think it's the Huns overshadowing everything else.

CYZ
Mar 29, 2012, 01:50 PM
Agreed, personally I really want to know more about the Dutch UI. But I'm fairly sure everyone is very very curious about the huns.

Some more info about the battle mechanic changes and new units would also be great I think.

Louis XXIV
Mar 29, 2012, 01:59 PM
We actually know the most about the Dutch. We don't know the intimate details, but we know the broad contours. We know Byzantium gives an extra religion policy, but nothing else. We know only that the Mayan ability involves culture and their calendar. We know nothing about Carthage and the Huns.

Deggial
Mar 29, 2012, 04:42 PM
Don't let your hopes raise too high. There will be only a G&K trailer at PAX. (SOURCE) (http://wegotthiscovered.com/news/2k-games-lineup-pax-east-includes-borderlands-2-spec-ops/)

So, no test games or alike. Most likely, there will not be so much information to gather. Especially nothing, that wasn't already presented in other presentations for game journalist.

nea*Nicu
Mar 29, 2012, 05:09 PM
Civilization V: Gods & Kings is heading to PAX East! Be sure to come to our booth to check out the demo from the dev team.

And if you're not lucky enough to make it to PAX, we've got you covered: We'll be live streaming the entire show from our booth, including interviews with devs AND a direct feed of the Civ V:G&K demo! See the full schedule of the live stream here:
http://www.2kgames.com/blog/2k-games-presents-pax-east-on-twitch-tv

Uberfrog
Mar 29, 2012, 05:21 PM
Don't let your hopes raise too high. There will be only a G&K trailer at PAX. (SOURCE) (http://wegotthiscovered.com/news/2k-games-lineup-pax-east-includes-borderlands-2-spec-ops/)

So, no test games or alike. Most likely, there will not be so much information to gather. Especially nothing, that wasn't already presented in other presentations for game journalist.

Civilization V: Gods & Kings is heading to PAX East! Be sure to come to our booth to check out the demo from the dev team.

And if you're not lucky enough to make it to PAX, we've got you covered: We'll be live streaming the entire show from our booth, including interviews with devs AND a direct feed of the Civ V:G&K demo! See the full schedule of the live stream here:
http://www.2kgames.com/blog/2k-games-presents-pax-east-on-twitch-tv

I'm glad to see that was refuted fairly quickly, Deggial. :P

It would have been disappointing if there was no new stuff: a live stream sounds great.

TheKingOfBigOz
Mar 29, 2012, 05:23 PM
omg omg omg omg omg live stream! :woohoo: :woohoo: :aargh: :aargh: :run: :run: :rotfl: :rotfl:

... ahem... That's.. very.. exicting.

Deggial
Mar 29, 2012, 05:29 PM
I'm glad to see that was refuted fairly quickly, Deggial. :P

Ha! So am I! :D

Sometimes it is good to be proven wrong. (But hey, you can guess only based on the facts you have so far...)

--

Edit: Well, at least I *hope* I'm proven wrong. Now, all depends on the interviewer's questions. Hopefully they will head for new informations and not only ask about the same old stuff. We'll see...

TheKingOfBigOz
Mar 29, 2012, 05:39 PM
I'm exicted to just SEE the DEMO.

nokmirt
Mar 29, 2012, 06:18 PM
Info on anything would put speculation to rest. :lol:

Pouakai
Mar 29, 2012, 09:28 PM
And on the first day of the holidays... Bellisimo

anandus
Mar 30, 2012, 02:28 AM
So, if I'm correct the live stream is on sunday 8 april from 2PM to 3PM.

That's a decent time, even us in Europe can watch it without needing to stay up all night :)
(Edit: Oh, but it'll be an early mondaymorning for you, Pouakai, I guess?)

Pouakai
Mar 30, 2012, 02:42 AM
Yep... 6 - 7 AM, which is pretty reasonable actually.

Draskar
Mar 30, 2012, 07:41 AM
What's the time reference for the streaming shows? I'm in Italy and i have GMT+1.

TheKingOfBigOz
Mar 30, 2012, 07:46 AM
I'm in Ireland and I believe I need to be watching the show on 8th April 7 P.M, which I think means 8 P.M.. but I'm not sure, I never heard of Irish Standard Time Zone which is appereantly now?... due to the Daylight Saving... Time... Time Change.. whatever, it boggles my mind xD

The_J
Mar 30, 2012, 07:51 AM
If there was already the time switch in the US (...to lazy to look it up), then it's 8 PM / 20 o'clock in middle europe.

leif erikson
Mar 30, 2012, 08:11 AM
If there was already the time switch in the US (...to lazy to look it up), then it's 8 PM / 20 o'clock in middle europe.
Yes, we are on day light saving time in the US. As of the time of this post, it is 9:11 AM here.

TheKingOfBigOz
Mar 30, 2012, 08:14 AM
Maybe somebody could caculate the time for GMT or whatever D: (especially for Ireland!)

anandus
Mar 30, 2012, 08:15 AM
Yes, we are on day light saving time in the US. As of the time of this post, it is 9:11 AM here.And you are in the same timezone?

Then western Europe (Amsterdam-Paris-Roma) is 6 hours later.

And I think that's 4 hours later in GMT if I'm correct.

Uberfrog
Mar 30, 2012, 08:22 AM
Maybe somebody could caculate the time for GMT or whatever D: (especially for Ireland!)

We're now in summer time, so the time in the UK is BST (GMT+1), which is the same as Irish Standard Time.

PAX East will be running on EDT (GMT-4), so we want to add five hours. So, Sunday 7-8PM for the G&K stuff.

The_J
Mar 30, 2012, 08:22 AM
Yes, we are on day light saving time in the US. As of the time of this post, it is 9:11 AM here.

Since you said that you're in the eastern time zone, then it's again 6 hours difference...good :).

It's:
2 - 3 PM Boston time is:
9 - 10 PM/21 - 22 o'clock in Helsinki/Moscow/Athen/Riga/Sofia/Istanbul
8 - 9 PM/20 - 21 o'clock in Berlin/Paris/Stockholm/Rome/Warsaw
7 - 8 PM/19 - 20 o'clock in London/Dublin/Lisabon

Will do the rest of the relevant time zones later, if somebody is interested.
If someone calculates it himself: The rest of the world (besides NZ/parts of AUS) does not use summer time/day light saving time, so there's a 1 hour shift.

leif erikson
Mar 30, 2012, 08:23 AM
And you are in the same timezone?

Yes, right down the street. :)

And it is 9:22 AM here now. :mischief:

skdyer
Mar 30, 2012, 08:29 AM
I've got to say it is a little bit annoying that they scheduled this for Easter Sunday. I am sure there are MANY of us who are being yanked from our computers unwillingly to attend Easter obligations. Do you you think the stream will be watchable after the event?

anandus
Mar 30, 2012, 08:38 AM
I've got to say it is a little bit annoying that they scheduled this for Easter Sunday. I am sure there are MANY of us who are being yanked from our computers unwillingly to attend Easter obligations. Do you you think the stream will be watchable after the event?Oh, good point.

I'm lunching at my family-in-law. Pfff.
Let's turn on the excuses-generator :lol:

Eagle Pursuit
Mar 30, 2012, 08:47 AM
IIRC, I saw som streams after the fact during the lead up to the vanilla release. So it seems likely that they or some one will record it.

Draskar
Mar 30, 2012, 09:05 AM
Ok, saturday at 8PM for me in Rome! :)

nokmirt
Mar 30, 2012, 11:51 AM
I am in US Central TimeZone. When is this streaming supposed to take place? I hear it is going to be on Twitch.tv. Is that so? I imagine it will be on youtube shortly after. That's how I watched it when CiV first came out.

OK, so 2PM US Central Time.

Sunday, April 8th

10:30 AM - Noon - Welcome to PAX East: Day 3 with Kona & Elizabeth, direct feed of last night's XCOM: Enemy Unknown panel from PAX East

Noon - 1 PM - Borderlands 2 coverage, including replays of interviews, gameplay, and more!

1 - 2 PM - Spec Ops: The Line coverage, including replays interviews, gameplay, and more!

2 - 3 PM - Civilization V: Gods & Kings coverage, including replays of Civilization V interviews, gameplay, and more!

3 - 4 PM - XCOM: Enemy Unknown coverage, including replays of interviews, gameplay, and more!

4 - 5 PM - Last giveaway, final Q&A, weekend recap

For reference...http://www.2kgames.com/blog/2k-games-presents-pax-east-on-twitch-tv Thats going to be a fun filled hour. New trailer being released right?

Pouakai
Mar 30, 2012, 12:11 PM
No, it's 2PM Eastern Daylight Time

nokmirt
Mar 30, 2012, 12:32 PM
No, it's 2PM Eastern Daylight Time

In Boston that day does it begin at 2PM or 3PM? The website says 3PM. So that means in Iowa here its 2PM. Unless the website is wrong, or if they did not readjust schedule for daylight savings, which was awhile ago now.

2 - 3 PM - Civilization V: Gods & Kings coverage, including replays of Civilization V interviews, gameplay, and more!

Pouakai
Mar 30, 2012, 12:59 PM
The website says that in Boston the G&K presentation runs from 2PM Eastern Daylight Time to 3 PM

anandus
Mar 30, 2012, 01:03 PM
In Boston that day does it begin at 2PM or 3PM? The website says 3PM. So that means in Iowa here its 2PM. Unless the website is wrong, or if they did not readjust schedule for daylight savings, which was awhile ago now.

As it says:
(Note: all times are denoted in Eastern Daylight Time)

So, it's already adjusted for daylight savings

nokmirt
Mar 30, 2012, 01:04 PM
As it says:
(Note: all times are denoted in Eastern Daylight Time)

So, it's already adjusted for daylight savings

Thanks thats what I was wondering.

Eagle Pursuit
Mar 30, 2012, 03:39 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/2012/03/29/borderlands-2-spec-ops-playable-at-pax-east/

According to this, it will be demo'ed but not playable at the convention.

nokmirt
Mar 30, 2012, 04:31 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/2012/03/29/borderlands-2-spec-ops-playable-at-pax-east/

According to this, it will be demo'ed but not playable at the convention.

They are all worried about their first person shooters which are a dime a dozen.

anandus
Mar 31, 2012, 03:10 PM
*sigh*

I wish it was next week already :p

Pouakai
Mar 31, 2012, 08:29 PM
Just a quick note I don't think we've seen on the blog:

Civilization V: Gods & Kings also will have a demo presentation by the dev team where you'll get to check out new updates, gameplay changes, and civilizations that are coming in our expansion pack.

Hopefully this means it'll be more in-depth than previous

nokmirt
Mar 31, 2012, 08:54 PM

Hopefully this means it'll be more in-depth than previous

I was looking at your 24 images. I am sure they will find a use for some of those icons in the new expansion. Unless they created all new ones. And yes, hopefully its more in depth at Pax East.

Pouakai
Mar 31, 2012, 09:11 PM
I would be surprised if they created new icons for stuff that they've already made icons for, a la Supermarket if it's included

nokmirt
Mar 31, 2012, 11:32 PM
I would be surprised if they created new icons for stuff that they've already made icons for, a la Supermarket if it's included

I suppose they made them for a purpose. Hopefully they put them all to good use.

anandus
Apr 01, 2012, 03:32 AM

Hopefully this means it'll be more in-depth than previousI hope so.
Although I fear they'll showcase the same demo we've already read about a gazillion times.

Louis XXIV
Apr 01, 2012, 08:16 AM
Even with the same demo, fresh eyes might pick out things the reviewers did not.

Uberfrog
Apr 01, 2012, 08:55 AM
I'd expect there to be at least some new information. It seems to be standard marketing practice these days to add some new details to the drip-feed every couple of weeks when there's another expo.

anandus
Apr 01, 2012, 10:19 AM
Even with the same demo, fresh eyes might pick out things the reviewers did not.Most definitely. We'll let loose the Civfanatics Analysis Squad :D

Steamwerks
Apr 01, 2012, 08:49 PM
So did anyone catch the stream today? I looked in on it a few times but it didn't seem to be working.

theadder
Apr 01, 2012, 09:47 PM
So did anyone catch the stream today? I looked in on it a few times but it didn't seem to be working.

It doesn't start for days, unless I am mistaken. At least for Civ V anyway.

Steamwerks
Apr 01, 2012, 10:00 PM
It doesn't start for days, unless I am mistaken. At least for Civ V anyway.

Ah, you're right! It seems I was a week early. :eek:

Snoopaloop
Apr 01, 2012, 10:21 PM
Same here Steamwerks. I got out of work expecting to read up on a whole bunch of new verified information tonight.

I guess I'll have to settle for the april fools joke or not info.

Pouakai
Apr 01, 2012, 10:47 PM
Civ 5 Analysis Squad reporting for duty!

I'll be watching the Civ 5 presentation live stream, compiling a post of all new information mentioned, as well as taking screenshots (Not HD, but good for time being)

anandus
Apr 02, 2012, 01:40 AM
Argh... I really do have easter obligations right at that time.
Normally it'd have been lunch, but this time it's dinner, so I won't be able to catch the livestream :(

I really really really hope it'll be viewable afterwards...