Way too long to wait...:cowboy:

Civciv5
Apr 05, 2012, 08:16 AM
That's disappointing.
:hmm::(

Camikaze
Apr 05, 2012, 08:17 AM
That's Winter, not late Autumn. :p

Very good to see they're giving it plenty of time to cook, though.

Heinage
Apr 05, 2012, 08:17 AM
yeah, just wanted to come over here to let you know about this thread posted by 2k Greg.

Seems I was beaten to it :)

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?119068-Civilization-V-Gods-amp-Kings-release-date!

blackcatatonic
Apr 05, 2012, 08:18 AM
June 22th for Europe...

Yep.

Can't say I'm surprised, and it is good to have the date at least. They can take all the time they want if what they end up releasing is worth the money and is properly tested.

SammyKhalifa
Apr 05, 2012, 08:19 AM
Just as well . . . I have other things in May I need to save up for anyhow. :D

The_J
Apr 05, 2012, 08:23 AM
Oh, the irony.
Announcing the expansion for late spring, and having it released on the first day of summer.

I think someone already said that as a joke. The joke got real.

Deggial
Apr 05, 2012, 08:37 AM
And exactly one week to late for pentecost holidays (in Europe)!

Well, time to spent outside in the sun, rather than founding religions in a darkened room. Disappointing, but maybe better for me...

Buccaneer
Apr 05, 2012, 08:38 AM
This is the announcement?!? The expansion will be done when it's done so what does it matter announcing a date? How will that change anything? Don't you think it would have been better if they had announced new information about the game?

Ford
Apr 05, 2012, 08:42 AM
This is the announcement?!? The expansion will be done when it's done so what does it matter announcing a date? How will that change anything? Don't you think it would have been better if they had announced new information about the game?

Yes, I agree. I must admit to being slightly underwhelmed. :eek:

Eagle Pursuit
Apr 05, 2012, 08:42 AM

Yes. I would rather have had game details, but I didn't really expect this announcement to be huge. They save those things for expos and the media.

SammyKhalifa
Apr 05, 2012, 09:02 AM

It's exactly the kind of announcement I expected, actually.

Louis XXIV
Apr 05, 2012, 09:04 AM
It's about two weeks after I suspected, but in the ball park. I suspected late Spring meant the very end of Spring. It's good for me because I'll have maximum free time then.

blackcatatonic
Apr 05, 2012, 09:11 AM
It's exactly the kind of announcement I expected, actually.

Me too. But then with PAX coming up I expect more info will emerge soon anyway.

ShaggyCan
Apr 05, 2012, 09:36 AM
And it will be %50 off on Steam August 21st. :)

BobDole
Apr 05, 2012, 10:39 AM
Absolutely fine with me. Gives me a month of Diablo III, uninterrputed, and then plenty of time over the summer for G&K hopefully.

Scarpa
Apr 05, 2012, 10:41 AM
I called this a few weeks ago. Last day of Spring. /smug

BranjoHello
Apr 05, 2012, 10:52 AM
This is kind of a good news...The game will be full of bugs on the release so we'll have more time for swimming, beer-drinking, skirt-chasing and all the other interesting things to do in summer time. In September it will be patched for the third-fourth time and then the actual fun starts. :)

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 05, 2012, 11:46 AM
This is kind of a good news...The game will be full of bugs on the release so we'll have more time for swimming, beer-drinking, skirt-chasing and all the other interesting things to do in summer time. In September it will be patched for the third-fourth time and then the actual fun starts. :)

:rolleyes: oh sigh.

I wish it was earlier.. like in May :mischief:

tetley
Apr 05, 2012, 11:52 AM
Yup. They're basically announcing a schedule slip, and marketing it as this big, exciting news release. The good news is, maybe the reason for the delay is feature creep.

Eagle Pursuit
Apr 05, 2012, 11:55 AM
June 19 works fine for me. I think I'll be done with SWTOR about then. Just as long as G&K is finished when it is released, I don't care what the date is.

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 05, 2012, 12:47 PM
Yup. They're basically announcing a schedule slip, and marketing it as this big, exciting news release. The good news is, maybe the reason for the delay is feature creep.

What the.. there is no delay? There's is no new feature, the game is basically done and now they're polishing it off.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that the game was delayed, it is technically late spring (June)

While I wish it was earlier, I'm glad to know it's just 10 weeks away.

I also don't understand why people are already jumping that the game will be bug-filled.. they're taking 10/less weeks to polish it off, and I'm sure several people who use this forums are actually testing it as well (I believe some were lucky enough isn't that right?) So i know the bugs will be unlikely, sure, every game has bugs but I don't think it's going to be as bad as game-breaking bugs. I don't know why I have a feeling Ed, or whoever worked on this actually TRIED and IMPROVE the game before it's released.

durian
Apr 05, 2012, 01:05 PM
Well I guess they didn't lie about late spring... :crazyeye:

I was sorta hoping it would arrive a bit earlier than that, but then again I'd rather they took the time to test the game and polish it off for release...

Cicero63
Apr 05, 2012, 01:11 PM
Ha this is great it comes out the day after I get out of school!

janboruta
Apr 05, 2012, 01:30 PM
I was hoping for an earlier release, but this extra space will give Firaxis some more time to test the game thoroughly. Also, I will have more time to play some Total Wars. :D

OsmarChito
Apr 05, 2012, 01:31 PM
well doesn't really matter, as long as is properly finished and with less bugs as possible and worth buying it. its ok :) we can wait

tetley
Apr 05, 2012, 01:31 PM
Yup. The game comes out when everyone's off for "Late Spring" Break. Marketing, marketing....

Drawmeus
Apr 05, 2012, 01:36 PM

Feature creep is never good news.

Stormbolt
Apr 05, 2012, 02:26 PM
I knew it'd be at the last minute of spring...

zarakand
Apr 05, 2012, 03:05 PM
Absolutely fine with me. Gives me a month of Diablo III, uninterrputed, and then plenty of time over the summer for G&K hopefully.

Couldn't agree more...and it's probably one of the reasons why the game is coming out in June, no point in competing with Diablo 3.

forty2j
Apr 05, 2012, 03:39 PM
At least it gives Apple time to put out the new iMac for me to play it on...

sav
Apr 05, 2012, 04:32 PM
Middle of winter... excellent.

Buccaneer
Apr 05, 2012, 07:07 PM
Feature creep is never good news.

Too late. Features like religion and espionage have already crept in. ;)

Thander
Apr 05, 2012, 07:23 PM
Wow that is coming fast. I guess I got too used to Blizzard release dates.

OrsonM
Apr 05, 2012, 09:06 PM
Indeed it is fast...

Not a fan of the Blizzard release schedule, I can see the extra work being done, but it's usually on stuff that could had just been way simpler.

anandus
Apr 06, 2012, 05:09 AM
Does anyone know if people in Europe who buy it on Steam will be able to play it on the 19th?

Rob (R8XFT)
Apr 06, 2012, 05:38 AM
Does anyone know if people in Europe who buy it on Steam will be able to play it on the 19th?

I'm fairly certain that they won't. I remember when BTS was released for Civ IV, I couldn't buy it online until the European release date (that was through Direct2Drive) and I believe that Steam will operate in the same manner. I can't understand why there can't be a generic release date though - I'm on holiday at the time and would have had 3 extra days to play!

BelchoSacha
Apr 06, 2012, 05:48 AM

I remember buying a certain game on Steam which was set for release on a Friday in the US and Monday for Europe and I managed to pre-load the game but it said that it would be unlocked on Monday and I was unable to play it until then.

Rub'Rum
Apr 06, 2012, 06:41 AM
I remember buying a certain game on Steam which was set for release on a Friday in the US and Monday for Europe and I managed to pre-load the game but it said that it would be unlocked on Monday and I was unable to play it until then.

And since Steam is the only platform through which you CAN play the game, I'm guessing they wouldn't announce 2 different release dates if Steam didn't bother with them...

Anyway, release date is a bit late, but exactly as I expected. When a developer says "Q2", I expect the very last day of Q2, at best. If a developer says "spring", I expect the very last day of spring, at best.

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 06, 2012, 06:53 AM
And since Steam is the only platform through which you CAN play the game, I'm guessing they wouldn't announce 2 different release dates if Steam didn't bother with them...

Anyway, release date is a bit late, but exactly as I expected. When a developer says "Q2", I expect the very last day of Q2, at best. If a developer says "spring", I expect the very last day of spring, at best.

I pre-ordered Portal 2 via Steam (no physical copy) and I was able to play it the same day it came out in the states (same day game got unlocked from being pre-loaded)

king Oosterveld
Apr 06, 2012, 07:11 AM
i wouldnt be shocked if on june 19th they said " were sorry, but the Gods and Kings expansion still needs some minor tweaking."

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 06, 2012, 07:12 AM
i wouldnt be shocked if on june 19th they said " were sorry, but the Gods and Kings expansion still needs some minor tweaking."

I would.

There's no doubt in my mind the work on the expansion pack began pretty much straight after the Civ 5 actually came out, most companies begin working on expansion packs VERY shortly after the original game works, the reason why many of them come out in short times. This has been in the works for most likely 1.5 years or so.

So if they suddenly decided to delay it I'd be quite frankly pissed. (Is that word allowed? if not just replace it with a similiar less offensive word :D )

Eagle Pursuit
Apr 06, 2012, 08:18 AM
Why delay for minor concerns when they can simply patch it day 1 or after? You might say that they want to put out a product that is excellent day 1, but I would counter with Civ V at release.

anandus
Apr 06, 2012, 08:18 AM
I can't understand why there can't be a generic release date thoughI believe it is because the distributors in the US and Europe have different days on which the distribute their games, tuesday for the US, friday for Europe.

So I guess the release date for European Steam users is also set on the friday so there isn't any unfair competition with brick & mortar shops?

Camikaze
Apr 06, 2012, 08:29 AM
Why delay for minor concerns when they can simply patch it day 1 or after? You might say that they want to put out a product that is excellent day 1, but I would counter with Civ V at release.

And they probably don't want the same sort of reaction again.

Louis XXIV
Apr 06, 2012, 08:33 AM
Yeah, it's out of fairness to them. Granted, a lot of people think it shouldn't be, but there's also still a surprising number of people who refuse to buy games on the internet and want a brick and mortar shop, so they have to be taken into consideration.

Buccaneer
Apr 06, 2012, 08:51 AM
I would.

There's no doubt in my mind the work on the expansion pack began pretty much straight after the Civ 5 actually came out, most companies begin working on expansion packs VERY shortly after the original game works, the reason why many of them come out in short times. This has been in the works for most likely 1.5 years or so.

So if they suddenly decided to delay it I'd be quite frankly pissed. (Is that word allowed? if not just replace it with a similiar less offensive word :D )

Good grief. You've been "waiting" for an expansion for many months and one/two/etc. days delay will cause you to be upset?!? What is it in people's lives (esp. those that are younger) that feel that they MUST play a game (or whatever) ASAP? CFC have had a reputation for whining and complaining about release dates and become really immature when as if their lives depend upon it. Never understood that.

SammyKhalifa
Apr 06, 2012, 08:55 AM

I hope so. All the tears and whining would make it worth the delay.

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 06, 2012, 09:06 AM
Good grief. You've been "waiting" for an expansion for many months and one/two/etc. days delay will cause you to be upset?!? What is it in people's lives (esp. those that are younger) that feel that they MUST play a game (or whatever) ASAP? CFC have had a reputation for whining and complaining about release dates and become really immature when as if their lives depend upon it. Never understood that.

Jeez, no need to suddenly go hostile on me. Nobody has said anything about MINOR delay.

A delay is a delay, I don't see it as few F days, when I think of delays I think of minimum of 7 days to several months (Sims 3). Jeez Take a chillpill.

Buccaneer
Apr 06, 2012, 10:04 AM
Yeah, just an initial reaction, esp. one that has come up over the years, sorry. Ok, what if the delay was 1 month? Or how about 3 months. No big deal, right? It's not like it is going to prevent anyone from doing anything. In my case, I assume June 19 is on a Tuesday? I won't get around to getting it until the weekend anyways and only if I'm not busy with something else that weekend. In the meantime, I can entertain myself by reading all of the angst if it happens to be delayed a day or two. :) But more realistically, I'll enjoy reading the thoughts and reactions from those few that I trust (maddjinn, Tab, snarzzy, dexters, chazzy, joncnunn, vexing).

nokmirt
Apr 06, 2012, 11:33 AM
Is there going to be a delay??? I have not heard that so was wondering. :)

nokmirt
Apr 06, 2012, 11:44 AM
2K Elizabeth will be asking Dennis Shirk questions from the community.

Eagle Pursuit
Apr 06, 2012, 11:51 AM
Is there going to be a delay??? I have not heard that so was wondering. :)

No. It's just speculation on whether there will be one.

Buccaneer
Apr 06, 2012, 01:15 PM
No. It's just speculation on whether there will be one.

and the reactions thereof to said delay.

SammyKhalifa
Apr 06, 2012, 01:52 PM
and the reactions thereof to said delay.

But hey, nobody's threatened to sue the Internet yet. We're making progress.

Zaimejs
Apr 06, 2012, 03:04 PM
See... it's going to take them a few months to read all of our suggestions on this forum. That's the delay. Stop posting good ideas and they'll make the game!

theadder
Apr 07, 2012, 03:32 AM

Steam is also region-locked; it won't activate.

Sometimes it is possible to get around these things if someone in the earlier release zone sends a present to a person in the later zone, but it varies. It is, or was, possible to unlock a game that is not sold in one region if it is sent by a person in another region, for example.

In this case it is only a few days at least.

Lose
Apr 07, 2012, 06:42 AM

this.

Mesix
Apr 08, 2012, 01:09 PM
Absolutely fine with me. Gives me a month of Diablo III, uninterrputed, and then plenty of time over the summer for G&K hopefully.I was thinking that Diable III will (hopefully) keep me busy enough to wait until G&K is discounted for a weekend special on Steam.

qec
Apr 09, 2012, 11:59 AM
Damn Tuesday release dates. It sucks having to sit at work for a whole day when all you can think about is getting home and playing a new game. And then only having a few hours in the evening to play it. And then repeat this until Friday evening when you can finally hermit up for the night and get some time logged. I may need to fake sick when G&K comes out so I can actually have a bit of time to play it.