View Full Version : Saturday's PAX talk

The_J
Apr 07, 2012, 09:24 AM
ATTENTION: Video (http://www.twitch.tv/2k/b/314229115)

There's not much new info, mainly:
- Carthage's UUs: African forest elefant and some sort of ship.
- They can move over mountains

Gucumatz
I should mention stuff new to Pax is starting, civ 5 stuff hasn't came yet.

apocalypse105
Wow audio is getting bad and is it just my computer but the chat is unavailable

it seems there are some technical issues

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 09:25 AM
No, the audio was terrible and now it's turned off altogether.

Does anyone here know how to lip-read? :p

Montov
Apr 07, 2012, 09:27 AM
The audio is terrible now...
And Greg just asked somebody to repeat what he said, but again the technical difficulties appear. I feel kinda sorry. :D

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 09:28 AM
I feel kinda sorry. :DYeah, it's not their lucky day.

Well, at least the problems are during X-Com and not Civ5 ;)

Montov
Apr 07, 2012, 09:31 AM
At the chat (Dahanese = Elizabeth Tobey):
Mod Dahanese: we're just about plugged in
Mod Dahanese: and will be coming back with Lena Brenk from Civ

apocalypse105
Apr 07, 2012, 09:31 AM
God's and king is next!!!!!

Gucumatz
Apr 07, 2012, 09:32 AM
Lena is next for Civ 5!

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 09:33 AM
*starts praying to the God of audiovisual technology*

Gucumatz
Apr 07, 2012, 09:36 AM
Stream acting up

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah, there were some tech-issues, and now they've taken it ofline :(

I hope it'll be back soon...

apocalypse105
Apr 07, 2012, 09:42 AM
I've asked if they would change reserach agreement's effect the same with great scientist if they are going to be changed because that are the most exploits

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 09:44 AM
Carthage UU's:
African forest elephant
Ship

apocalypse105
Apr 07, 2012, 09:45 AM
Carthage UU's:
African forest elephant
Ship

and comfirmed can move over mountains

Bonci
Apr 07, 2012, 09:46 AM
"great war era" is not called that way!

and i'm not really sure because the audio was terrible but they said something about releasing the dll with the next patch (for everyone!)

and carthage gets elephants and a ship

Deggial
"Great War Era" is *not* a new era (with game impact). It's just an inspiration for their artists to make the new units look all of a piece.

TheKingOfBigOz
Lena confirmed that the Great War eRa isn't an actual Era (or is it?) At least there's no actual "Great War Era".

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 09:47 AM
That was a short session :(

apocalypse105
Apr 07, 2012, 09:49 AM
"great war era" is not called that way!

and i'm not really sure because the audio was terrible but they said something about releasing the dll with the next patch (for everyone!)

and carthage gets elephants and a ship

dll ?

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 09:50 AM
Yeah, but the dll-info was known already

The_J
Apr 07, 2012, 09:50 AM
...wait...nothing more?
Should Tiffany Nagano not also show up? Later? Or not at all?

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 09:51 AM
...wait...nothing more?
Should Tiffany Nagano not also show up? Later? Or not at all?I don't know.

But from this 'interview' there's basically only the info mentioned in this thread.

snipperrabbit!!
Apr 07, 2012, 09:51 AM
later

Gucumatz
Apr 07, 2012, 09:52 AM
Well that was dissapointing. Carthaginian UUs thats it.

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 09:54 AM
Well that was dissapointing. Carthaginian UUs thats it.It was to be expected, though

apocalypse105
Apr 07, 2012, 09:55 AM
Yeah, but the dll-info was known already

whats DLL?

Gucumatz
Apr 07, 2012, 09:56 AM
whats DLL?

Code for modders

Gucumatz
Apr 07, 2012, 09:56 AM
Just in: Tiffany will not be here for interview

Montov
Apr 07, 2012, 09:57 AM
Elizabeth responded to anandus about the interview with Tiffany, but that wiil not take place today. ;(

The_J
Parts of the game care, which should allow more advanced modding.

But from this 'interview' there's basically only the info mentioned in this thread.

:/
And we don't know how much we missed.
But well...when it's done we can always watch it again.

later

I hope you're not joking :).

Edit: Crap, see it above :cry:.

Bonci
they said that they will not interview Tiffany Nagano :(

anandus
Nooo, no interview of Tiffany today :(
whats DLL?It's a part of the program code. When they release the source to the dll modders can do much more :)

MadDjinn
...wait...nothing more?

2K Liz just said that they aren't doing the Tiffany interview today.

The_J
Apr 07, 2012, 10:00 AM
That's not much for today :(.

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 10:01 AM
It's quite anticlimactic

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 07, 2012, 10:02 AM
Eh, it's not that bad, it's the Sunday that's most important for me :D

Montov
...wait...nothing more?

Probably not. 2kLiz said Lena was the substitute for Tiffany, because Tiffany was too busy with demos.

apocalypse105
I just switched shifts to see this normaly I work on saturday :(

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 10:03 AM
Probably not. 2kLiz said Lena was the substitute for Tiffany, because Tiffany was too busy with demos.Which is ironic as Lena couldn't be on yesterday because... she was too busy with demos.

bpower
Apr 07, 2012, 10:04 AM
What was said about the dll? Will it be release with the expansion?

Bonci
Apr 07, 2012, 10:08 AM
yes with the patch that comes with the expansion...from what i could understand.

The_J
Apr 07, 2012, 10:08 AM
That will only become clear when we can again watch the video :(.

Well...over for today. Way to short :(.

Which is ironic as Lena couldn't be on yesterday because... she was too busy with demos.

"Live" just does not always work like intended *shrugs*.

klokwerk
Apr 07, 2012, 10:12 AM
DLL and code release should make it possible to improve the AI a lot.

A community project could probably do wonders on that part of the game if the "Better AI" mod on vanilla Civ 4 is any indication.

2K Greg
Apr 07, 2012, 10:26 AM
Hey guys the thing I said about the dll was not about releasing the source code. It had to do with a technical change that allows Civ V to dynamically load dlls on the fly. This will be good good for DLC (you can disable any DLC you do not want) and someday modders as well!

I could have some of this slightly wrong; Dennis communicated it to me verbally here and it is loud! I'll find out exact details when pax is over :) - please do not take it as gospel yet!

2K Greg
Apr 07, 2012, 10:28 AM
Also, I'll see about the possibility of doing another civ interview to make up for the technical difficulties. It's unlikely though because everyone tends to be very booked up with press at PAX!

JamesCivFan
Apr 07, 2012, 10:28 AM
Got it. Thanks Greg!

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 10:29 AM
Also, I'll see about the possibility of doing another civ interview to make up for the technical difficulties. It's unlikely though because everyone tends to be very booked up with press at PAX!We understand, but thanks for trying! :)
It would be awesome to have another interview, though ;)

Optional
Apr 07, 2012, 10:36 AM
This will be good good for DLC (you can disable any DLC you do not want) and someday modders as well!This is good, I requested this, so I say Thank You! Being able to easily disable DLC is good for compatibility between different people's games.

MadDjinn
Apr 07, 2012, 10:46 AM
This will be good good for DLC (you can disable any DLC you do not want) and someday modders as well!

:eek:

So... modders will have to have great PR, else the game may reach out and 'touch' someone? :mischief:

PhilBowles
Apr 07, 2012, 10:46 AM
and comfirmed can move over mountains

Carthage generally, or as an ability of the elephants specifically? Okay, people are going to expect Carthage to be able to move elephants over mountains, but in the real world they were hardly the first or only people capable of mountain crossings, and it would just seem bizarre if only one civ had the ability to move unrestricted over mountains.

I still favour a system whereby only workers can move into mountains, but can build roads there with the appropriate tech. A mountain with a road through it can be moved through by other units.

"great war era" is not called that way

No surprise there. If it is a new era, it would probably be the Post-Industrial Era.

Rob (R8XFT)
Apr 07, 2012, 10:53 AM
Also, I'll see about the possibility of doing another civ interview to make up for the technical difficulties. It's unlikely though because everyone tends to be very booked up with press at PAX!

That would be great Greg, especially if there's any new info, or info from people visiting PAX that can be confirmed, such as Ethiopia being in the game. Espionage might be new to Civ V, but we've carefully placed our spies in the PAX auditorium.

Optional
Apr 07, 2012, 11:00 AM
...it would just seem bizarre if only one civ had the ability to move unrestricted over mountains.Not quite like real life, but it's a game with unique abilities. Only Polynesia can move over oceans from the start, only Iroquois units can move through forests quickly when they're in their own territory (when they're outside their own territory they lose their knack immediately, aint that weird :)), so the game is full of these examples of the bizarre.

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 11:13 AM
A bit of a crosspost from another topic, but interesting to put in this thread (otherwise it'd be so empty here :p ).

A guy (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3338705&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=507#post402327581) at the somethingawful forums was there.
This was his post:
Carthage's traits: free harbor in every coastal city. Units can cross mountains after the first great general is produced, but lose 50 hp if they end their turn on a mountain tile.

One of the Hun traits is "uses city names from other in-game civs"

Ethiopia is in, with Haile Selasse as leader. Very defensive-oriented; one of their traits is a 20% combat bonus against larger civilizations and their special unit (industrial era?) gets a bonus the closer they are to the capital

Gucumatz
Apr 07, 2012, 11:15 AM
Very cool I have to say. Not surprising Haile Selassie. Zara Yaqob was a waaay outside choice in Civ 4 compared to who we were expecting then.

Pouakai
Apr 07, 2012, 12:04 PM
Awesome, Halie Selassie! Sounds like Ethiopia will be awesome!

The_J
Apr 07, 2012, 12:05 PM
Hey guys the thing I said about the dll was not about releasing the source code. It had to do with a technical change that allows Civ V to dynamically load dlls on the fly. This will be good good for DLC (you can disable any DLC you do not want) and someday modders as well!

I could have some of this slightly wrong; Dennis communicated it to me verbally here and it is loud! I'll find out exact details when pax is over :) - please do not take it as gospel yet!

Thanks Greg :).

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 07, 2012, 12:11 PM
I only wish the engine would improve so my crappy machine would run it better than it does now :( stupid CPU.

nokmirt
Apr 07, 2012, 12:37 PM
Carthage UU's:
African forest elephant
Ship

Great I was hoping they'd give em an elephant was any video today on PAX? Any word on the type of ship Carthage gets? Any interviews?

I tried to get on streaming just now and can't. Tomorrow should have more info on GaK anyway.

Louis XXIV
Apr 07, 2012, 12:40 PM
The ship can only logically be a Quinquereme. My guess is the producer either didn't want to scare people with the word or didn't want to try to pronounce the word herself.

Is the video up, btw?

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 12:41 PM
Great I was hoping they'd give em an elephant was any video today on PAX? Any word on the type of ship Carthage gets? Any interviews?
There was an interview, but it was cut short after a few minutes because of technical errors (the sound was horrible, sometimes inaudible) :( That's all we had for today.

nokmirt
Apr 07, 2012, 12:44 PM
There was an interview, but it was cut short after a few minutes because of technical errors (the sound was horrible, sometimes inaudible) :( That's all we had for today.

Thanks for the update. They have things fixed and someone said no more til tomorrow at 2pm for GaK. Right now they are dealing with Borderlands 2.

Tomorrow I would love to find out more about mercantile city states. If there is only two special luxuries and because of this will they be limited on the map. There was tons of speculation last night.

Seek
Apr 07, 2012, 12:45 PM
Watched the interview again (here) and she said that there is a new era, it's just not called the Great War Era.

Montov
Apr 07, 2012, 12:47 PM
A bit of a crosspost from another topic, but interesting to put in this thread (otherwise it'd be so empty here :p ).

A guy (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3338705&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=507#post402327581) at the somethingawful forums was there.
This was his post:

With such a big penalty for ending a turn on mountain, I guess it will only cost 1 movement to cross it, otherwise it would be near useless.

Louis XXIV
Apr 07, 2012, 12:53 PM
This may not make sense as I deleted the post above it because it was not on topic. In future, better to report such posts than reply to it.

Give it a rest. They pick civs that will be interesting and diverse. That's why they have Austria but not Portugal (who is fairly similar to Spain). They added Mongolia, Inca, Polynesia, Babylon, and Korea as DLC (three of them Asian, one has origins in Asia). So the DLC was fairly multicultural, while the expansion is more Eurocentric (and, even then, two of the civs have origins in Asia).

Personally, if you ask me, this strikes me as possibly a bad business decision in that European civs likely would have sold well independently, but that's beside the point.

Montov
Apr 07, 2012, 12:56 PM
I demand Antarctica gets as much civs as every other continent! This is pure discrimination. Just because Europe is the only continent with fractured land control while still having global impact individually, they get more civs? Do we let history decide which civs are worthy? #OccupyEurope

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 12:59 PM
Watched the interview again (here)Thanks for the link! :)
(For what it's worth :p )

Tech tree has been rearranged quite a bit.
There is indeed a new era, but it's not called the Great War era.

Montov
Apr 07, 2012, 12:59 PM
Personally, if you ask me, this strikes me as possibly a bad business decision in that European civs likely would have sold well independently, but that's beside the point.

Well, if you wanted your own country represented in civ, this would force them to buy the whole expansion instead of just 1 DLC's. And people first need to buy the game before they can buy a DLC.

nokmirt
Apr 07, 2012, 01:00 PM
Interview with Lena Brenk http://www.twitch.tv/2k/b/314229115

She mentions that there is no Great War era, just a portion of the techtree which happens to of course have all of the WWI based type units. Audio is not the best but you can make it out.

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 01:01 PM
She mentions that there is no Great War era, just a portion of the techtree which happens to of course have all of the WWI based type units. Audio is not the best but you can make it out.She says there's a new era, but that it's not called the great war era.

jega001
Apr 07, 2012, 01:05 PM
Thank you very much. Todays stream was SO bad I didnt think the recording would be worth anything and its good to see what I was trying to watch at 11:30 this morning haha.

nokmirt
Apr 07, 2012, 01:08 PM
She says there's a new era, but that it's not called the great war era.

At 3:36 minutes in she says, "It's not an Era in the game." I am guessing that translates into English as NO. :lol:

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 01:12 PM
At 3:36 minutes in she says, "It's not an Era in the game." I am guessing that translates into English as NO. :lol:The Great War is indeed not an era in the game, that's right.

But listen at 2:51 ;) "and there is a new era, but it's not called the great war era".

jega001
Yeah i think that dev talk for no lol. You were watching this live too I believe. Is it just me or did they cut out a good 5-7 minutes of it in the begining the parts that were really bad a laged a lot, and all the random question mark screens. Frankly i'd rather they kept the audio going as I was watching it live, even if I couldnt understand much I was able to pull out bits and pieces but once it went to black the audio went with it.

Pouakai
Just watched the interview, while she said there isn't a Great War era, she did say 'There is a new era in the game' - My guess is enlightenment

jega001
Apr 07, 2012, 01:14 PM
Just watched the interview, while she said there isn't a Great War era, she did say 'There is a new era in the game' - My guess is enlightenment

That would seam logical. I was guessing Victorian.

nokmirt
Apr 07, 2012, 01:16 PM

Oh Ok just not a Great War Era. Anyway here is the full interview starting about four minutes in. Apparently this takes place before the other interview I posted above.

http://www.twitch.tv/2k/b/314228790 The spaceship's universal translator is a bit screwed up though.

I hope its the Enlightenment Era that would be awesome.

Louis XXIV
Apr 07, 2012, 01:35 PM
Well, if you wanted your own country represented in civ, this would force them to buy the whole expansion instead of just 1 DLC's. And people first need to buy the game before they can buy a DLC.

True, but if you're from the Netherlands, you still might buy the game for religion and espionage.

D712
Apr 07, 2012, 01:40 PM
So there will be more new info tomorrow for sure?

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 01:42 PM
So there will be more new info tomorrow for sure?Yes. More info and gameplay footage :)
From the interview with Dennis Shirk I got the idea that they're saving some info for sunday.

(Unfortunately I have easter obligations, so I won't be able to see it :gripe:)

Louis XXIV
Apr 07, 2012, 01:47 PM
What time is the demo tomorrow?

Pouakai
Apr 07, 2012, 01:48 PM
2-3 PM, Boston time

Optional
Apr 07, 2012, 02:09 PM
Well, if you wanted your own country represented in civ, this would force them to buy the whole expansion instead of just 1 DLC's. And people first need to buy the game before they can buy a DLC.True, but if you're from the Netherlands, you still might buy the game for religion and espionage.Religion and espionage are catch words, they are new elements in the expansion, but you could also view Gods & Kings first and foremost as a rebalancing and to make it a much more complete game.
There isn't a single game element that doesn't get changed, and most aspects get changed drastically. Only the graphics, the maps and the music will still be the same, all the rest has been put on the spade.
I have real hope that people who have left the game out of disillusion will return, at least to check out what it is after Gods & Kings.

Louis XXIV
Apr 07, 2012, 02:11 PM
I agree, although that's not my point. My point is you'd buy an expansion pack even without your country's inclusion but you'd also buy the DLC of your country.

Optional
Apr 07, 2012, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I agree with that.

Zyxpsilon
Apr 07, 2012, 03:23 PM
...but they said something about releasing the dll with the next patch (for everyone!)

Great. Maybe we can finally have some extra-work done on our modding projects. :D

anandus
Apr 07, 2012, 03:26 PM
Great. Maybe we can finally have some extra-work done on our modding projects. :DMind you, this is what 2K Greg said in this topic about it:

So don't get your hopes up to high (if you were expecting source code).

apocalypse105
Apr 07, 2012, 03:48 PM
I have easter obligation's so I can't see it.

If you can ask question's I thinx it would be smart to ask:

If they will change the effects of reserach agreements we know you need a decleration of friendship but will it stay the same effect

ANd will great scientist be changed will it still give a instant technology and in general question about great people will great merchant(because gold is less important with city states will it give more influence ) and what are the options from great profet

thinx some good questions but its up to you guys However I thinx I am not the only one who is curious about if they will change the great scientist exploit

jega001
Apr 07, 2012, 04:01 PM
Yeah GS mechanics is first on my list tomorrow. Im kind of hoping everyone peppers them with that question so we can be relatively sure it will be answered. relatively. lol

I'd like to know in regards to great prophets, what tile improvement option will they have. Im assuming it will be something along the lines of a religious icon/pilgrimage/site that gives +faith (which could actualy be quite powerful) but since im fairly sure thats what the answer will be the GS mechanics is top of my list since in my oppinion thats the biggest exploit. Pre-200 Babylon stealth bombers is funny but ridiculous and the "great leap" as its come to be called must be altered in some way if everything else is getting attention in regards to balancing.

PhilBowles
Apr 07, 2012, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=apocalypse105;11398120]I have easter obligation's so I can't see it.

If you can ask question's I thinx it would be smart to ask:

If they will change the effects of reserach agreements we know you need a decleration of friendship but will it stay the same effect

ANd will great scientist be changed will it still give a instant technology and in general question about great people will great merchant(because gold is less important with city states will it give more influence ) and what are the options from great profet

GM still gives influence with a CS and a whole heap of gold, which is a big bonus however you look at it. Gold doesn't become substantially less valuable because you can no longer use it to bribe CSes - the average Great Merchant trade mission gives you enough for a couple of research agreements, or to buy a Courthouse in a city you've just captured, or to upgrade half your army.

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 07, 2012, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE]

GM still gives influence with a CS and a whole heap of gold, which is a big bonus however you look at it. Gold doesn't become substantially less valuable because you can no longer use it to bribe CSes - the average Great Merchant trade mission gives you enough for a couple of research agreements, or to buy a Courthouse in a city you've just captured, or to upgrade half your army.

I don't think they ever stated that we can no longer bribe CS with money? Did they? source?

AriochIV
Apr 07, 2012, 05:30 PM
I don't think they ever stated that we can no longer bribe CS with money? Did they? source?On the contrary, I believe it has been said that you still can bribe city-states with money, but there was the implication that there might be limits or diminishing returns on this.

edit:
You can still shower these not-civs with gold and essentially buy them off, assuming you’ve got enough ready cash available, but quests will be your primary tool for getting city-states in your pocket.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/civilization-5-gods-and-kings-preview/

snipperrabbit!!
Apr 07, 2012, 05:36 PM
gold will just be less of a factor with CSes but it will not disappear out of the blue.

Prince ByTor
Apr 07, 2012, 05:41 PM
Regarding the Ethiopian UA, how are they defining "larger civilization"? Higher population, land area, cities, score, or what?

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 07, 2012, 05:44 PM
Regarding the Ethiopian UA, how are they defining "larger civilization"? Higher population, land area, cities, score, or what?

Most likely Higher Population OR Higher Arm Power, so if somebody has a GDR and they still have Riflemen then I presume they're gonna recieve the bonus.

Louis XXIV
Apr 07, 2012, 05:45 PM
They could just use power rankings on the demographics.

cuc
Apr 07, 2012, 07:03 PM
The new era could be "Atomic Era", which was mentioned offhand in one preview. Maybe.

tithin
Apr 07, 2012, 07:33 PM
How many hours until the next interview? trying to determine if I'll be awake early enough to see it.

moysturfurmer
Apr 07, 2012, 07:34 PM
How many hours until the next interview? trying to determine if I'll be awake early enough to see it.

I believe 16.5

leif erikson
Apr 07, 2012, 07:46 PM
It is 9:45 PM (2145) here and I am located in the same time zone with Boston where the PAX is being held. We are in daylight saving time here.

This may also help? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zone)

tithin
Apr 07, 2012, 07:53 PM
Yeah that's like 4/5am for me. I'll have to give that a miss. I doubt my son will be awake that early anyway, haha.

Pouakai
Apr 07, 2012, 07:59 PM
Now 16 hours until the feed starts

PhilBowles
Apr 07, 2012, 08:12 PM
On the contrary, I believe it has been said that you still can bribe city-states with money, but there was the implication that there might be limits or diminishing returns on this.

edit:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/civilization-5-gods-and-kings-preview/

That would be good - I've said from the start I'd like to see a cap on CS influence with gold, so that you can't progress beyond the max normally needed for friendship.

Gucumatz
Apr 07, 2012, 08:14 PM
Wish I could see the broadcast tomorrow, but odds are I will be doing after church service material. It is Easter after all.

Louis XXIV
Apr 07, 2012, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I suspect Easter Dinner will be about that point for me. They'll probably post it online, though.

Pouakai
Apr 07, 2012, 10:19 PM
It's times like this when I value being an Atheist on the other side of the world. Convinent time and no religious obligations

cuc
Apr 07, 2012, 11:23 PM
Regarding the Carthagian elephant, I've just been told and discovered that it's neither the familiar African savanna elephant nor "African forest elephant" (which lives in the Congo basin, and is a separate species from other elephants), but "North African elephant", also called "North African forest elephant", a species or subspecies which has become extinct long ago.

The savannah elephant species has never been completely tamed by human.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_African_Elephant

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_forest_elephant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_bush_elephant

black213
Apr 08, 2012, 01:26 AM
It's times like this when I value being an Atheist on the other side of the world. Convinent time and no religious obligations

Well, I'm an atheist and celebrate easter, christmas etc.

So, not much new info from saturday.

anandus
Apr 08, 2012, 02:56 AM
The extra Spy from one civilization was removed.Interesting. So they re-re-tweaked England :p
Carthage elephants (their UU) can walk on mountains... it looks pretty funny with a giant elephant on top of the giant mountain.Ah, it's only the UU that can walk on mountains? That changes things a bit.
There were a few other minor things that he mentioned; including "that's coming in the DLC" to one of my questions. Do you remember what question that was?

Nonetheless that's great news, more DLC is always good news! :)

Deggial
Apr 08, 2012, 06:26 AM
Ah, it's only the UU that can walk on mountains? That changes things a bit.

Maybe. At least he saw the elephant climbing a mountain. This *might* indicate that it is only the UU's ability. But it does not say, that it isn't the UA and *all other* land units can climb mountains, too.

anandus
Apr 08, 2012, 06:28 AM
Maybe. At least he saw the elephant climbing a mountain. This *might* indicate that it is only the UU's ability. But it does not say, that it isn't the UA and *all other* land units can climb mountains, too.It would make quite some difference.

Deggial
Apr 08, 2012, 06:30 AM
Definitely.

But we simply don't have enough information about this. Other sources state, that mountain climbing is a general ability (with loosing 50% health when ending a turn on a mountain).

Stexe
Apr 08, 2012, 07:13 AM
For those who missed my post at the other place:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this before (since I've been busy at PAX East), but I talked with one of the producers who was running the Civ 5 G&K demo. The female producer who was presenting didn't really have any clue to the answer to my questions.

He told me that cities with religion influence other cities within a 10 hex radius. This influence is the same through the 10 hexes (thus being directly next to them is the same as 9 hexes away). However, multiple cities can have their influence stack on top of each other to influence it more so.

The extra Spy from one civilization was removed.

The Ethopian special ability is that they get a 20% defensive bonus against "larger civs," defined as "civilization with more cities than you." Their special unit also gets a bonus when near your capital (or city or something, I forget).

The Huns are similar to other civilizations in the sense that they have a unique ability and 2 special units. However, their cities (besides their capital) get the names of other civilization cities. That's classified as one of their unique abilities. They also raise cities twice as fast or something.

Carthage elephants (their UU) can walk on mountains... it looks pretty funny with a giant elephant on top of the giant mountain.

There were a few other minor things that he mentioned; including "that's coming in the DLC" to one of my questions. Had a long night and was bar hopping with the guys from Riot Games, so I'm a little out of it. Maybe it will come back to me tomorrow.

D712
Apr 08, 2012, 07:22 AM
So would someone like to make a new topic for today's talks and come up with agreed upon questions to ask them? Just a thought. :)

Also, I'm loving all of this. But I want to know when we will actually SEE these civs. Maybe they'll be doing a "video-per-civ-per-week"? Since it'll be nine weekends (not actually sure?) until the release, and there are nine civs.

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 08, 2012, 07:29 AM
So would someone like to make a new topic for today's talks and come up with agreed upon questions to ask them? Just a thought. :)

Also, I'm loving all of this. But I want to know when we will actually SEE these civs. Maybe they'll be doing a "video-per-civ-per-week"? Since it'll be nine weekends (not actually sure?) until the release, and there are nine civs.

I think there's already a Sunday topic posted.

D712
Apr 08, 2012, 07:32 AM
I think there's already a Sunday topic posted.

Didn't see that.. Lol

nokmirt
Apr 08, 2012, 09:08 AM
Didn't see that.. Lol

We have been coming up with several questions, not based on any certain topic, just a drive to get information.

Zyxpsilon
Apr 08, 2012, 12:19 PM
So don't get your hopes up to high (if you were expecting source code).

I wasn't, never has. The "ModBuddy" structural assets were already designed as a space-holder for procedural functions; all i've been asking (to devs, for more than a year!) is a clear set of HOOKS feature call to specific key_components (addressable UI+Menu tags & some runtime memory stack, even if only partial btw).

When we use the term DLL or source-code, the modding community actually means formatting capacities of pre-integrated routines along side their actual but still declared parameters.
Compiled core "referencing" needs permission-like level of access to **identifiable** declarations - so to speak. LUA precision requires transitional context just as much, sort of.

It's very easy to crash such a complex assembly - much tougher to match unknown requirements through MOD. I've stated it before and i will again; trial & error design delays production unnecessarily (and did, for more than just LeoPaRd - in fact!).

GoodSarmatian
Apr 08, 2012, 02:22 PM
Definitely.

But we simply don't have enough information about this. Other sources state, that mountain climbing is a general ability (with loosing 50% health when ending a turn on a mountain).

We have the info. Today's vid showed the start screen for Carthage.
They get free harbors in every coastal city, and once you have your first Great General all units can cross mountains but lose 50hp if they end their turn on a mountain tile.