View Full Version : Who and how will you play first?

apocalypse105
Apr 09, 2012, 04:41 AM
I was wondering what will be you'rer first civ you will play at the expansion game.

Wich civilization?
Wich map?
Wich difficulty?
WIch speed?

I didn't know How I could make a poll so just post you're settings

if someone could explain me how to post a poll would be nice :p

Art Grin
Apr 09, 2012, 04:47 AM
Civ: Byzantium
Map: Continents
Difficulty: Prince
Speed: Standart or Epic

I will probably try to play against all the other G&K civs, just so I can see their Leadrheads. :D

Kimuyama
Apr 09, 2012, 04:48 AM
It depends on what civ is the last one, but as of now I'd probably go with Ethiopia, on fractal or continents, in normal game speed, normal difficulty.

(And there is a box at the very bottom of the thread creation-screen you have to check to create a poll)

MajKira
Apr 09, 2012, 04:58 AM
Wich civilization? Byzantinum/Austria/Maya/Netherlands(??)
Mayaaas I think
Wich map? huge,random,resources normal,age young
Wich difficulty? prince
WIch speed? epic/normal (??)
epic I think

apocalypse105
Apr 09, 2012, 05:09 AM
It depends on what civ is the last one, but as of now I'd probably go with Ethiopia, on fractal or continents, in normal game speed, normal difficulty.

(And there is a box at the very bottom of the thread creation-screen you have to check to create a poll)

Yeah I know that there is option creat poll I just don't know what to do next how do I create the poll chooses just add them at the post?

It seems a lot of people will be playing on prince just to get the hang of it :p
I am doubting about playing the netherlands because I want to know if he actualy speeks dutch and in wich dialect or accent So If i want to see him I proparly can't play him

Saxony
Apr 09, 2012, 05:14 AM
The civ : Austria or Nethererlands
The map : Earth or British Isles
The difficulty : Warlord or Prince
The speed : Quick or Standart

theadder
Apr 09, 2012, 05:39 AM
I was wondering what will be you'rer first civ you will play at the expansion game.

Wich civilization?
Wich map?
Wich difficulty?
WIch speed?

I think perhaps the Celts to make use of their greater faith production? Hopefully allowing testing out the new religion mechanics more quickly.

No sure about the rest of the settings; I might drop difficulty a bit to Emperor to get to grips with things.

Rick80
Apr 09, 2012, 05:44 AM
The civ : Austria or Carthago
The map : Contintent plus
The difficulty : Prince
The speed : Standard

glaivemaster
Apr 09, 2012, 06:14 AM
Civ: I'll probably go with the Mayans first, but that kind of depends on what they can do. If not Mayans, then Byzantines or Celts, just to get a look at faith.
Map: I play random map types, I'll leave that on. Probably Standard size.
Difficulty: Emperor. Currently I'm not having trouble with Emperor, but I don't want to move up until I get used to the expansion (and indeed, may have to move down again)
The speed: Standard

I really liked the Mayans in Civ IV, and I'm certain they're going to do something unique and interesting in Gods + Kings, so I'm looking forward to that. Afterwards I'll definitely have a close look at faith based games, and then third playthrough will probably be Attila.

Fabiano79
Apr 09, 2012, 06:17 AM
civ: Byzantinum or other religion new civ
map: Fractal large
difficulty: King
speed: Standard

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 09, 2012, 06:19 AM
Civ : Spain against the 10 new civs, I might crank it up and add any of the civs that got their bonuses change. (i.e Songhai or England)
Map : Most likely continents or Pangea on anymap that supports 10 or 12 civs (Large/Huge)
Difficulty : Settler or maybe Warlord, probably Warlord
Speed : Quick as always.

JaGarLo
Apr 09, 2012, 06:41 AM
Civilization: Any of the old civs.
Map: Continents (I'm sure my laptop wouldn't survive a huge map, so I'll go with standard size).
Difficulty: Warlord (to see if Firaxis really improved the AI)
Speed: Probably Standard

Louis XXIV
Apr 09, 2012, 06:53 AM
I usually play a standard map, but that would be difficult to fit everyone. I might go for either a Large map or a crowded standard map.

My goal is simple: Have all the civs there. I'll probably go for conquest because it's the most efficient. Originally, I suggested I would play as the Byzantines to try out religion. However, unless we get to see videos of the leader screens before release, I think I'll go with Austria for two reasons: First, because their UA isn't completely tied to new features so I don't get a slanted feel. Second, I've already seen Maria Theresa and can see everyone else this way. Also, a late renaissance UU might give me an extra boost to get over the hump to beat the rest of my enemies.

I'll probably play Prince (slightly lower than normal) difficulty and continents just to make sure it lasts long enough. My only fear is if the AI kills each other before I meet them.

Fern
Apr 09, 2012, 06:57 AM
Civ: any of the old civs, but vs some or all of the new civs (a first impression is important!)
Map: fractal
Speed: epic or standard
Size: huge, with all CS's

Looking forward to this one! :)

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 09, 2012, 07:56 AM
I also am going to go for the Diplomatic Victory since that one seems most one to try out since it's getting revamped (as to how to get it)

Eagle Pursuit
Apr 09, 2012, 08:02 AM
Austria*
Huge
Warlord
Marathon

*subject to change.

I will be reviewing the Civipedia prior to any actual gameplay.

nokmirt
Apr 09, 2012, 08:18 AM
Civ: Carthage or the ninth mystery civ, depends who that is.
Map: Continents plus
Size: large
Difficulty: I may start on king just to see how things are, then back up to Emperor for my second game.
Speed: Standard

I am going to have Siam and India in the game for elephants, along with all new civs, and hated Rome. So it will be 12 civs on a large map and 10 or 12 CSs. This way there is some room to expand. My second game will be more CS orientated and I may play as Austria or the Huns.

If its Carthage, I'll mimic Hannibal even though the leader is Dido. Lots of elephants and slaughter. I will test the threshold of the new diplomacy system and see how real warmongers fair in the early game.

As far as religion goes I am not sure what my strategy will be, probably my choices will be centered on production and growth.

In the late game, to make things interesting, I am thinking of choosing freedom. :lol: I want to be an arsenal of Democracy. :)

CYZ
Apr 09, 2012, 08:32 AM
I'll let the dice do the choosing.

Civ: Random, but rerolling untill I have one of the new civs.
Map: Random
Size: Random, but rerolling if it the loading time suggests it's a huge map.
Difficulty: King for strarters

CivRulez07
Apr 09, 2012, 08:38 AM
Wich civilization? - Netherlands perhaps? not really sure yet
Wich map? - Continents plus
Wich difficulty? - Warlord or Prince
WIch speed? - Standard

Camikaze
Apr 09, 2012, 08:44 AM
I probably won't play as one of the new civs at first, because I like interacting with all the new leaderheads. :D But my first game as a new civ is probably going to be Austria. Tone down the difficulty to get a grip on the changes, and standard continents.

GenjiKhan
Apr 09, 2012, 09:59 AM
Civ: Songhai,because it's my favorite civilization from vanilla version and because they'll change on G&K;
Map: Ice age,with Wide Continents;
Size: Large map,with all of the 9 new civs in it;
Difficulty: King;
Speed: Standard.

Guandao
Apr 09, 2012, 10:13 AM
I'll start a game with each new civ

Celts-British Isles or Mediterranean
Carthage-Mediterranean
Ethiopians-no big map of Africa :(, maybe fractal
Austrians-Earth
Huns-Asia
Mayans-Caribbean
Byzantine-Mesopotamia
Dutch-prolly archipelago

Fern
Apr 09, 2012, 11:58 AM
I will be reviewing the Civipedia prior to any actual gameplay.

Yes, me too.
First thing: check out the factoids of the civs and leaders.
Second thing: read through the wonder and tech quotes.
Third thing: take a short glimpse at everything else new.
Fourth thing: play!

Glassmage
Apr 09, 2012, 12:12 PM
Civ: Austria
Map: Continent or Fractal
Size: huge, max civ's (prefer new and changed civs) & max CS's (obvious reason)
Difficulty: King

I want to see the new Diplomatic Victory, Diplomacy, Epsionage.

Stormbolt
Apr 09, 2012, 12:20 PM
Celts (wanted them since day 1)
Continents (maybe plus)
Prince
Normal

SomethingCronic
Apr 09, 2012, 12:21 PM

Wich civilization?
Wich map?
Wich difficulty?
WIch speed?

I'm thinking Persia. Rebuild the Zorastrian empire I think and push this new religion mechanic.

Probably add some of the new nine to the list too, such as Huns, Austria, Byzantium and the rest as random.

Large, epic speed, continents (plus?) no time victory. Love it! :)

drubell
Apr 09, 2012, 12:29 PM
First thing I'll be doing is setting up games on a duel map just so I can listen to the peace/war OST for each leader. Then I think I'll play first as Austria and see if it really is possible to play a peaceful game in G&K.

DutchJob
Apr 09, 2012, 12:35 PM
The Dutch
Continent Plus
Prince
Epic

After that it will be the Huns.

spicytimothy
Apr 09, 2012, 01:02 PM
I think I would play as an original civ and pick all the new ones as AI. This way I can enjoy their leader screens :-)

GoodSarmatian
Apr 09, 2012, 02:59 PM
I still don't know all UBs and abilities, but right now I think I'll try the Byzantines first and go for a cultural victory with appropriate beliefs.
I'll pick my standard settings (normal map, continents, epic and policy changing) but dial difficulty down from Emperor to King for the first couple of games.

Gucumatz
Apr 09, 2012, 03:01 PM
Maya first, probably emperor too. Not my usual immortal to see if things have truly become difficulter.

Keejus
Apr 09, 2012, 03:13 PM
You know you can play as and against the same civ at the same time, right? Just pick them as one of your opposing civs. This'll mean they'll get the wrong color scheme (usually Songhai's), and steal cities from your city list, but you'll get to interact with your own leaderhead.

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 09, 2012, 03:19 PM
You know you can play as and against the same civ at the same time, right? Just pick them as one of your opposing civs. This'll mean they'll get the wrong color scheme (usually Songhai's), and steal cities from your city list, but you'll get to interact with your own leaderhead.

Oh yea.. I forgot about that xD even though today I had a duel of Napoleon vs Louis (Napoleon).. but got bored quickly -.-

Morningcalm
Apr 09, 2012, 03:38 PM
As Huns or Carthage for their fun military abilities in the early game (if the game gets to the late age, I probably will just do a scenario).

Pangaea. Standard size with all new civs.

BelchoSacha
Apr 09, 2012, 04:07 PM
I'll probably go with:

Civ:Byzantium
Map:Continents
Difficulty:King(that's what i play right now and want to compare it to Vanilla Civ 5 )
Speed:Standard

janboruta
Apr 09, 2012, 04:19 PM
Austria on Pangaea, King, Epic speed. Dutch on Continents as the second civ and Byzantium on Inland Sea or Oval as the third.

Ianwill93
Apr 09, 2012, 04:42 PM
Egypt, continents, standard, king
But after i get a feel for the new features...
Maya, pangea, standard, king

Cicero63
Apr 09, 2012, 05:27 PM
Without a doubt Austria is going to be my first civ, on continents with all the new civs at the usual King difficulty

Oohforf
Apr 09, 2012, 09:37 PM
Austria, of course. !AEIOU!

Map: Terra/Earth

Speed: Marathon

bhavv
Apr 09, 2012, 11:55 PM
Elizabeth
Archipelago
Emperor or Immortal
Epic

And with God of the sea.

Haig
Apr 10, 2012, 12:16 AM
I'll pick Byzantine just on the knowledge that they have Dromon, my fave unit from Civ III. Also I want to try out first a civ whose units/buildings are in the early era.

A small map first, just not to get too overwhelmed.

I'm also excited to try out archipelago map with naval colonial civs (England, Spain, Dutch, Japan) just to try out the promised more aggressive AI use of naval invasions.

ALSO all the three scenarios interest me a lot!

JeanBaptiste
Apr 10, 2012, 01:33 AM
Attila
Deity
Pangea
Standard everything.

=Slaughterhouse

blackcatatonic
Apr 10, 2012, 03:43 AM
Celts, Standard, Continents, Prince, to try out this shiny new religion thing.

I'll let the AI choose itself in the hopes that I get to play against one or two of the new leaders. I don't want to play them all at once, partly because I don't want to have to keep looking at Civilopedia every minute to remind me of all the UAs, UUs etc, but mostly to extend the novelty value for as long as possible :D

Steamwerks
Apr 10, 2012, 08:19 PM
Roleplay/Immersion:
Byzantium
Immortal
Continents
Standard

Powergaming:
Huns/Ethiopia - (either of these should be insane)
Deity
Pangaea
Standard

MARDUK80
Apr 11, 2012, 07:10 AM
With Rome/Augustus, Fractal map type, Emperor difficulty, normal amount CSs and against Celts, Huns, Carthage, Austria, Ethiopia, Maya, Netherlands, Byzantium and 'the Ninth Civ'. :D
- To see all new Leader screens.

Second game: Huns/Attila, same settings as above, against all female rivals; Wu Zetian, Catherine, Elisabeth, Isabella, Maria Theresa, Theodora, Dido and Boudica ;)
- Just for fun and too see how's the strongest adversary.

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 11, 2012, 07:18 AM
With Rome/Augustus, Fractal map type, Emperor difficulty, normal amount CSs and against Celts, Huns, Carthage, Austria, Ethiopia, Maya, Netherlands, Byzantium and 'the Ninth Civ'. :D
- To see all new Leader screens.

Second game: Huns/Attila, same settings as above, against all female rivals; Wu Zetian, Catherine, Elisabeth, Isabella, Maria Theresa, Theodora, Dido and Boudica ;)
- Just for fun and too see how's the strongest adversary.

Are you gonna play the Bachelor with Attila :mischief:

MARDUK80
Apr 11, 2012, 07:46 AM
Yes... probably ;)
Hmm... now where did I put those Battering Rams...

headcase
Apr 11, 2012, 10:03 AM
- Austria - The UA (peacefully annex CSs) sounds fun!
- Prince - Maybe even Warlord to get used to things...
- Epic - Playing a lot of these even now, and it will be necessary for the first G+K to let each era soak in. Epic is just so much smoother and surprisingly doesn't take much more time than Standard unless in constant war. Guess Marathon must be even better for how many people here play on it... but I'll probably stick with Epic to start.
- Continents - To test the new naval units and see if the AI can do anything in the water (normally I play Pangaea for their sake).
- Large - Need a good size for trying out diplo, so probably this (now that my specs can handle it).

Attila
Deity
Pangea
Standard everything.

=Slaughterhouse

Best of luck, sir :hammer:

Snerk
Apr 11, 2012, 11:09 AM

Wich civilization?
Wich map?
Wich difficulty?
WIch speed?

I'll pick a civ that receives some kind of faith bonus so I can try founding a religion. So perhaps Celts.

Standard continents with same number CS as civs.

Unless the general difficulty is upped with the expansion, I'll probably go with emperor.

Epic speed.

Fangren
Apr 11, 2012, 01:16 PM
Carthage, on a TSL Earth map modded to have all the new civs (assuming one such map isn't included with the expansion). Difficulty/speed to be decided.

tirnaog
Apr 11, 2012, 01:51 PM
Civ: Celts
Map: Continents - HUGE
City-States: Max Number!

smallfish
Apr 11, 2012, 01:57 PM
Civ: Ethiopia
Difficulty: Emperor
Speed: Epic
Map: Standard Continents

Gonna try out the North Korean Turtling Strategy with them, nab GW+Himeji+HS/PT combo and put SPs in Order

Eagle Pursuit
Apr 11, 2012, 01:59 PM
You're going to threaten city-states with nuclear weapons in exchange for resources?

JtW
Apr 11, 2012, 03:08 PM
Haile Sellasie
Prince
Continents or Archipelago
Standard Speed

I want to found the Rastafarian religion - that's the main reason for Haile Sellasie. And I want to play on Continents or Archipelago to see if the AI can now launch naval attacks.

The second game is going to be the steampunk scenario.

Eagle Pursuit
Apr 11, 2012, 03:19 PM
Yep. Rastafarianism is going to be the default religion whenever I play as Ethiopia.

SalmonSoil
Apr 11, 2012, 06:09 PM
Interesting that no one else has decided to start with the scenarios.

For my first game I'm going to play the Medieval scenario as one of the new Civs (I assume Austria and Byzantium will be available) or maybe one of the other civs if they take my fancy.

Then I might have to try play both of the other scenarios (Fall of Rome... probably Huns, Smokey skies? It's going to have to be England). After that I'll probably take one of the new civs I haven't seen yet out for a normal game (Mayans, Carthage, depends on the bonuses Mayans get).

bonafide11
Apr 11, 2012, 06:21 PM
It depends on who the 9th civ is, if it's another African civ, especially one with either a warmonger bonus or a gold bonus, I almost certainly will play them first. Ethiopia sounds fun, but I doubt I'll start with them since they are focused on being a small empire. In my first game I don't want to stay small, I want to dominate and conquer, but also take advantage of religion. I'll likely start with either the Celts or Byzantine for their religion bonuses.

Steamwerks
Apr 11, 2012, 07:35 PM
Interesting that no one else has decided to start with the scenarios.

For my first game I'm going to play the Medieval scenario as one of the new Civs (I assume Austria and Byzantium will be available) or maybe one of the other civs if they take my fancy.

Then I might have to try play both of the other scenarios (Fall of Rome... probably Huns, Smokey skies? It's going to have to be England). After that I'll probably take one of the new civs I haven't seen yet out for a normal game (Mayans, Carthage, depends on the bonuses Mayans get).

I suppose the format of the question sort of suggested standard games, but you're absolutely right. So, on second thought I may have to start with the Fall of Rome scenario (as Byzantium of course!).

HardRocker
Apr 11, 2012, 07:40 PM
Well... since I know that whichever Civ i start with I will play most games with until the release of the next game/expansion, (I become easily attached, ok? don't judge...) I will probably pick the Byzantines.

BranjoHello
Apr 16, 2012, 06:45 AM
Civ: Ethiopia or Netherlands
Map: Pangea Plus or Continents Plus
Size: Standard
Difficulty: Warlord or Prince

I'm thinking of defensive cultural victory with Ethiopia or powerfull naval domination victory with Netherlands.

tofofnts
Apr 16, 2012, 07:24 AM
Civ: Austria
Map: Archipelago so I can test out the new naval warfare/AI
Size: Large
Speed: Quick
After that I wanna try the Smoky Skies scenario

oliver
Apr 16, 2012, 08:42 AM
Map: Contients
Diffuculty:prince
Speed:standard

Really stoked 4 the expansion

bcaiko
Apr 16, 2012, 10:30 AM
I really want to see how the new mechanics work and will effect my gameplay style. So my first game will likely be a toned-down experience to allow me to explore:

-Civ: Japan
-Map: Continents
Standard Size
All City States
-Difficulty: Prince
-Speed: Standard

I may play on Continents Plus or Fractal, depending on my mood. I may also add a couple AI to the map and for once I won't reduce the number of City States (yay for CSs no longer being useless space-takers that want nothing but money!). I'll play on Prince so I can explore the new mechanics, buildings, ect. with ease. Plus I suspect with the new upgrades, the AI will get sturdier.

I can't WAIT to build a religion with Japan. All worship the anime tenticle monster!

Liex
Apr 16, 2012, 04:21 PM
Civ: A Vanilla Civ (someone whose UA got changed to something religious - Spain, perhaps) vs. the 9 new ones, so I can meet the new leaders and see them in action.
Map: Large Pangea or Continents.
Difficulty: Prince or King.
Speed: Standard.

Would try to win the game through a slow domination to get the most of it.

Then I'll have to try Ethiopia since I usually play as a small empire.

Dark_Jedi06
Apr 16, 2012, 05:47 PM
I will probably play my first game as Austria on a Pangaea or Continents map script, standard size and game length, with 12 other civs and 10 city states on Emperor difficulty (may have to be toned down if the AI turns out to be better!)

The goal will be a diplomatic victory with an emphasis on founding and spreading religion. Playing for the diplomatic victory let's me experience all of the new elements of the expanded tech tree and the modern era, particularly espionage, and allows me to play to Austria's strength.

Specific enough? :D

mabalogna
Apr 16, 2012, 06:41 PM
Dutch
Continents
Standard
King
Standard

CoolLizy
Apr 16, 2012, 06:53 PM
CIV: Probably the Dutch, the Celts, or Carthage
MAP TYPE: Random
SIZE: Maybe random, maybe standard or small
DIFFICULTY: Prince, or one down to get used to the changes and see how the AI handles. If it's improved enough I may not be able to play on King and Emperor anymore. :o
SPEED: Standard

Gintoki89
Apr 16, 2012, 06:56 PM
Tentatively Celts, depending on the later details released and the 9th civ. Continents or random map type, standard or small map, Warlord, Standard speed.