View Full Version : Space Sector PAX East impressions

snipperrabbit!!
Apr 09, 2012, 09:49 AM
Both for XCOM & G&K (http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2012/04/pax-east-impressions-xcom-enemy-unknown-and-civ-5-gods-kings/).

Camikaze
Apr 09, 2012, 09:54 AM
Interesting article. I think he reads a bit too much into the focus on religion & espionage over AI & diplomacy. Of course the marketing talk is going to be about the new features, rather than updates of existing features. Both are obviously important, but it's clearly the former that are going to be focused on. I don't think that necessarily indicates anything about whether AI & diplomacy have been seriously looked at.

snipperrabbit!!
Apr 09, 2012, 10:14 AM
I will use this thread to post hi-res screenshot from another site

http://gamershavennews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Civ5Pax.jpg

http://gamershavennews.com

Eagle Pursuit
Apr 09, 2012, 10:16 AM
Interesting. What is that large white squarish castle in Addis Abada?

snipperrabbit!!
Apr 09, 2012, 10:22 AM
Himeji

There is also ta Cathedral in the bottom left corner of the city.

anandus
Apr 09, 2012, 10:23 AM
Do you mean Himeji?

Eagle Pursuit
Apr 09, 2012, 10:24 AM
Is it Himeji? I don't remember that being white, but then I don't build it very often.

pthmix
Apr 09, 2012, 10:30 AM
Himeji

There is also ta Cathedral in the bottom left corner of the city.

That is Notre Dame. :)

Guandao
Apr 09, 2012, 10:30 AM
Didn't Ethiopia's colors use to be Portugal's colors in Civ4?

fat_tonle
Apr 09, 2012, 10:46 AM
Who is the light brown two city civ on the minimap? Celts are on the left. Huns are obviously the light gray.

1. Carthage is that ugly gray/purple
2. Austria is red/white
3. Maya? Maybe the light blue but the UU looked yellow so I don't think they are in that game.
4. Light blue is probably Byzantium.
5. Netherlands is orange
6. Ethiopia is dark green

So I think the light brown is probably the last civ. Unless both the light blue and the brown are both the Mayan/Byzantines...

So what civ would be represented well by those colors?

Also, can someone check the demo again and tell me what the names are of the Hunnic cities to the south bordering light blue? That would tell us what civ light blue represents.

Camikaze
Apr 09, 2012, 10:48 AM
There was a list of opponent civs at one stage in the demo. I believe that would be Pacal (Maya).

Eagle Pursuit
Apr 09, 2012, 10:50 AM
I think that is the Mayans. The old screenshot of the Atlatl was not very good because the screen was darkened by a pop-up and then artificially lightened for clarity.

Guandao
Apr 09, 2012, 10:51 AM
Anyone notice Byzantine's symbol is a cross?

FeiLing
Apr 09, 2012, 10:54 AM
Isn't that the ... err... straight tower of pisa right in the middle (outside of the city walls)?

Louis XXIV
Apr 09, 2012, 10:55 AM
Anyone notice Byzantine's symbol is a cross?

While I believe you, where did you see this?

Eagle Pursuit
Apr 09, 2012, 10:56 AM
I see that Arioch has it on his Analyst site. I don't know where he got it from.

fat_tonle
Apr 09, 2012, 10:56 AM
Isn't that the ... err... straight tower of pisa right in the middle (outside of the city walls)?

Think they are talking about the one in the top left corner with with white domes.... doesn't look like ND but I'll take their word for it.

snipperrabbit!!
Apr 09, 2012, 10:57 AM
Celts-Mayas-Ethiopia-Byzantium-Huns if you consider most eastern frontier from west to east !

CYZ
Apr 09, 2012, 10:57 AM

It appears to be leaning if you look closely, kindof leaning towards the camera.

Guandao
Apr 09, 2012, 10:58 AM
While I believe you, where did you see this?

when they show you the espionage screen with Theodora's warnings. It has two Byzantine cities, Constantinople and Adrianople.

I may be wrong, though.

Camikaze
Apr 09, 2012, 10:58 AM
Think they are talking about the one in the top left corner with with white domes.... doesn't look like ND but I'll take their word for it.

ND is just to the left of the 'Leaning' Tower, behind the walls.

It's hard to tell from the angle, but the Leaning Tower isn't parallel with the building behind it.

fat_tonle
Apr 09, 2012, 11:02 AM
ND is just to the left of the 'Leaning' Tower, behind the walls.

It's hard to tell from the angle, but the Leaning Tower isn't parallel with the building behind it.

Gotcha.... wished they worked on these animations so you could actually see your city so that not everything looks like miniaturized sets.

Didn't Civ III have an animation that zoomed into you city and showed all your structures on a full screen? If Civ III can do that, not sure why Civ V can't... not the end of the world but food for thought.

Dark_Jedi06
Apr 09, 2012, 11:30 AM

http://gamershavennews.com

What's the improvement all the way to the right in this screenshot?

Arkangelus
Apr 09, 2012, 11:34 AM
Trading post :) They mouse over it at one point.

JaGarLo
Apr 09, 2012, 11:34 AM
If you look closely on the last image, one of the units Ballistics gives is the machine gun. But the player have already machine guns...

Any ideas about this? :confused:

P.S.: Does anyone here know what is the meaning of that ''1'' in the espionage button?

Arkangelus
Apr 09, 2012, 11:35 AM
We'd already worked out the game was edited/faked - the machine guns and infantry had spent the previous turn parked beside a citadel, but began this turn with full health ;)

Eagle Pursuit
Apr 09, 2012, 11:36 AM
It's probably put together with a world-builder type program. They were assigned MG's but not the tech to build them.

JaGarLo
Apr 09, 2012, 11:37 AM
Ah, OK. Thanks both for answering that fast. Man, sometimes I feel stupid...

Beefie
Apr 09, 2012, 11:45 AM
If you look closely on the last image, one of the units Ballistics gives is the machine gun. But the player have already machine guns...

Any ideas about this? :confused:

Doesn't he have Gatling Guns, which upgrade to Machine Guns?

Louis XXIV
Apr 09, 2012, 11:48 AM
No, those are machineguns.

JaGarLo
Apr 09, 2012, 11:52 AM
Doesn't he have Gatling Guns, which upgrade to Machine Guns?

I'm almost sure that those are machine guns. A Gatling gun seems more like a cannon with wheels (correct me if I'm wrong!).

kiwimaster
Apr 09, 2012, 11:55 AM
when they show you the espionage screen with Theodora's warnings. It has two Byzantine cities, Constantinople and Adrianople.

I may be wrong, though.

No, I think you're right. The Byzantine's icon looks like the tri-bar cross used by the Eastern Orthodox Church. Personally, I'd rather have Labarum but oh well.

snipperrabbit!!
Apr 09, 2012, 11:57 AM
Watch american outlaws and you will see what a gatling gun is. the civ icon is indeed a multiple barrel rotative canon. The last samurai can do too !

Atwork
Apr 09, 2012, 12:01 PM
If the scenario was put together with a worldbuilder type program, then that probably explains the AI's intelligent placement of citadels, great generals, and artillary?

But, if the AI made those decisions in its own capacity, then that would a huge leap forward!

AriochIV
Apr 09, 2012, 02:55 PM
I see that Arioch has it on his Analyst site. I don't know where he got it from.
You can see it in the Espionage screen in the video.

Zaimejs
Apr 09, 2012, 03:09 PM
So the trading posts are "fixed!" Whoo hoo. Love the idea of "Great War" era stuff. Those tanks are bad argggs.

The whole game looks better.

anandus
Apr 09, 2012, 03:13 PM

http://gamershavennews.comWhat's that above the right most landshiop? A customs house? (I never build those, so I wouldn't know)

AriochIV
Apr 09, 2012, 03:18 PM
anandus: according to the mouseover in the video, it's a new graphic for the Trading Post.

I'm almost sure that those are machine guns. A Gatling gun seems more like a cannon with wheels (correct me if I'm wrong!).

Gatling Gun
http://www.well-of-souls.com/civ/images/gatling1.jpg

Machine Gun
http://www.well-of-souls.com/civ/images/machinegun4.jpg

Michkov
Apr 09, 2012, 03:22 PM
Is that the Ethiopian UU in those forts?

What's that above the right most landshiop? A customs house? (I never build those, so I wouldn't know)

Trading post (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11403964&postcount=24)

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 09, 2012, 03:22 PM
The only thing that doesn't make sense about this being fake is the turns (225?)

Louis XXIV
Apr 09, 2012, 03:24 PM
What's to the unit on the far left? A different trading post?

anandus
Apr 09, 2012, 03:27 PM
Hmm.. If the new thing is a trading post I'm not sure if I like it over the old one, to be honest :(
What's to the unit on the far left? A different trading post?That's a different city. In the demo they captured it with a melee ship :)

FeiLing
Apr 09, 2012, 04:00 PM
That new trading post might look very weird when it is not alone (like in that set up screenshot), but on pretty much every tile (like in a realistic game situation). Rather looks like small villages, not just a tiny trading post.

Pmck6
Apr 10, 2012, 03:37 AM
Has anyone noticed that kinda roman looking red tile roofed building in the midde bottom right of Addis Abada? Does anyone know what it is?
:eek:

AriochIV
Apr 10, 2012, 03:46 AM
Has anyone noticed that kinda roman looking red tile roofed building in the midde bottom right of Addis Abada? Does anyone know what it is?
:eek:
It's the Great Library.

Sometimes I wonder if some of you folks have actually ever played this game. :D

Louis XXIV
Apr 10, 2012, 07:30 AM
We play the game, we don't normally spend hours scrutinizing the screenshots of it :p

GenjiKhan
Apr 10, 2012, 07:39 AM
Seems that there's a new technology called Ballistics . And seeing the screenshots,Ethiopia's leader seems to be kinda paranoid(Built 3 Citadels,Great Wall and Himeji Castle) . Would the ai that controls Ethiopia behave similar?

snipperrabbit!!
Apr 10, 2012, 07:43 AM
It was a SET UP game !

smallfish
Apr 10, 2012, 07:45 AM
Ethiopia UA with Himeji and Great Wall is going to be hard to dig out, especially in early and mid-game.

Rob (R8XFT)
Apr 10, 2012, 10:23 AM
Just being daft for a minute, at first look, it seems like the circled soldier is wearing a giant green Donald Duck mask to use humour to help stifle the opposition! (Incidently, I do know what it is really, it was just a first glance thing).

Maximo the Xth
Apr 10, 2012, 10:41 AM
Just being daft for a minute, at first look, it seems like the circled soldier is wearing a giant green Donald Duck mask to use humour to help stifle the opposition! (Incidently, I do know what it is really, it was just a first glance thing).

Nice catch. :goodjob: But itīs a part of the citadel.