View Full Version : Music in Gods and Kings

Guandao
Apr 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
In the demo for Gods and Kings, we were given a sneak peek of the music that Curran and Knorr have composed. I heard:

A main theme?, very beautiful singing, but I don't know the language.

The Carthage/Dido peace and war themes-sounds more like Rome's theme then Middle Eastern music, I wonder if it's based on real ancient music.

Attila's peace theme and war theme-peace theme sounds like it has a cello, I wonder if it's Hungarian music or something Central Asian, war theme is not tribal enough for my liking, more like an orchestra

Maria Theresa/Austria peace theme-sounds like classical music, maybe by Mozart?

Haile Selassie/Ethiopia war and peace theme- sounds familiar, not sure if it's Ethiopia's current national anthem

What do you guys think of the music so far? What kind of music do you think the other civs (Maya, Netherlands, Celts, Byzantines, Sweden) will have?

Main Menu Theme: singing in ???? language

Austrian peace/war themes: Mozart????

Byzantine peace/war themes:

Carthage peace/war themes: ancient music????

Celtic peace/war themes:

Dutch peace/war themes:

Ethiopian peace/war themes: something to do with Ethiopian monarchy???

Hun peace/war themes: Central Asian music???

Mayan peace/war themes:

Swedish peace/war themes: Du Gamla, Du Fria?????

Fall of Rome scenario music:

Into the Renaissance music:

Empire of the Smoky Skies music:

Art Grin
Apr 12, 2012, 01:59 PM
The Byzantines will probably have some sort of church choir as their theme similiar to civ4.

Eagle Pursuit
Apr 12, 2012, 02:11 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to the music. I like what they did in V vanilla and I expect that to continue.

SkaisonFire
Apr 12, 2012, 02:35 PM
I'm Guessing The Netherlands will have the Wilhelmus,Seeing it refrences Willem Van Oranje.

JFD
Apr 12, 2012, 02:40 PM
It bugs me how familiar the Ethiopian music sounds. Austria's one is also very familiar, and is likely Mozart. I Vow to Thee, My Country, is my favourite. I don't think they'll top that for me. The music is one of the things I've been looking forward to most, admittedly.

Cicero63
Apr 12, 2012, 03:03 PM
I am not sure if I am correct but from what I heard of Maria Theresa's theme song it sounded a bit like Mozart's Don Giovanni

Morningcalm
Apr 12, 2012, 03:44 PM
You guys could always email the composers and ask. Since we've heard selections from the themes already from the demo, they'd probably be fine with revealing the inspirations for some of the tracks.

Liex
Apr 12, 2012, 04:22 PM
If there is a civ that will never run short of good music, that civ is Austria.

(and Russia)

poom3619
Apr 12, 2012, 09:44 PM
The Byzantines will probably have some sort of church choir as their theme similiar to civ4.

I would love that. and I hope Byzantine peace's music are holy, and war music badass, to the point it can claim Russia's place in the most badass music in CiV.

sukritact
Apr 13, 2012, 01:02 AM
Mozart for Austria? Wonderful! I'm going to enjoy playing as them!

cfkane
Apr 13, 2012, 05:37 AM
Mozart for Austria sounds accurate. From the brief clip they played it sounded like the opening for the Lacrymosa from his Reqiuem.

MARDUK80
Apr 13, 2012, 05:52 AM
The Music sounds absolutely great so far. Would love the get the G&K soundtrack upon release (as I did with the Vanilla Pre-Order Deluxe (Babylon) version). :)

Uberfrog
Apr 13, 2012, 09:41 AM
I'm a big fan of Civ 5's leader compositions, and I'm looking forward to what they produce for the new leaders.

For the Celts, there are a lot of things they could go for: a puirt a beul (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puirt_a_beul) would be similar to what they had (and I enjoyed) in Civ IV: something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY6o6E24M3k).

As for traditional instruments, uilleann pipes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF3fW4Nox9U) and penny whistles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8pzlK3ZCYI) are used widely in Irish and Scottish music.

For the war theme, they might be an obvious choice, but I for one would be disappointed if bagpipes were not involved. :P

Eagle Pursuit
Apr 13, 2012, 09:43 AM
That would be awesome if the Celts got bagpipe music.

FeiLing
Apr 13, 2012, 09:47 AM
I'm sure the music is gonna be nice and all. But what I really want is a MUTE BUTTON. CiV is not the kind of game I want to shut down 50 times every day, just because I want to listen to something else for some minutes on my computer. Alternatively I'm also fine if they would make them game automatically muted if it's not in the focus (alt-tabbed out of the game).

Eagle Pursuit
Apr 13, 2012, 09:52 AM
That's not an unreasonable request, I would think. A small button on the interface that allows you to mute the game sound temporarily.

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 13, 2012, 09:59 AM
Is it really that hard to just mute all of the sounds without "pressing Accept" in the SOunds opition?

I can't wait for Dido's music, it sounds beautiful. And I can't wait to hear the other's too, I would love bagpipes, especailly since people are pointing out that Boudicca is more Scottish oriented, and I've always matched bag-pipes to Scotland.

Louis XXIV
Apr 13, 2012, 10:09 AM
That would be awesome if the Celts got bagpipe music.

Except for the whole part where you have to listen to the bagpipes ;)

But fiddle, flute, etc. would all be spectacular.

Guandao
Apr 14, 2012, 01:30 PM
I' m going to try to send Geoff Knorr or Michael Curran an email. They haven't replied back to me since November. I wonder if they are allowed to tell me anything about the inspiration for the themes.

Gucumatz
Apr 14, 2012, 01:36 PM
Except for the whole part where you have to listen to the bagpipes ;)

But fiddle, flute, etc. would all be spectacular.

While we are at it, lets have an Ocarina!

ehecatzin
Apr 14, 2012, 01:56 PM
I dont think anybody has mentioned this but, we are getting a new era, (I think its enligthment era), it brings the next question:

Is every civs getting a new song for the new era?

I hope so :)

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 14, 2012, 02:00 PM
I dont think anybody has mentioned this but, we are getting a new era, (I think its enligthment era), it brings the next question:

Is every civs getting a new song for the new era?

I hope so :)

No. There is no era-specific music in Civ 5.

Each leader has two songs, a Peace theme played during peace-times and War theme played in war times.

The background are also culture specific, there's an European, Asian, American and and African music.

ehecatzin
Apr 14, 2012, 02:01 PM
No. There is no era-specific music in Civ 5.

Each leader has two songs, a Peace theme played during peace-times and War theme played in war times.

The background are also culture specific, there's an European, Asian, American and and African music.

man... havent played Civ 5 in so long, I think I better get back at it before the expansion comes out :lol:

Guandao
Apr 14, 2012, 02:41 PM
Middle East and Africa

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 14, 2012, 03:03 PM
Middle East and Africa

Huh? Well Asia also has Indian music, if that's what you're refering to.

Guandao
Apr 14, 2012, 03:10 PM
I mean that Ottomans, Persians, Babylonians, Arabians, Songhai, Egyptians share the same music set which is called Middle East and Africa, but is mainly Middle Eastern music.

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 14, 2012, 03:16 PM
I mean that Ottomans, Persians, Babylonians, Arabians, Songhai, Egyptians share the same music set which is called Middle East and Africa, but is mainly Middle Eastern music.

You corrected me, so I corrected another part :P

Guandao
Apr 14, 2012, 03:19 PM
For the Civs which have unknown musical themes at the moment,

I would like for the Celts to have music from the medieval age, though I'm fine with modern Celtic music

The Mayan themes should be better than the one they had in Civ4. (the farting noises...)

Netherlands will prolly have the national anthem

Byzantine should have a medieval Christian choir

as for the music sets, it seems like it will be this:
Maya (Amerindian music)
Ethiopia (Middle East and Africa)
Carthage (Middle East and Africa)
Huns (European)
Austria (European)
Celts (European)
Byzantines (not too sure, European?)
Netherlands (European)
unknown civ (???)

Guandao
Apr 21, 2012, 03:42 PM
What kind of theme should Gustavus Adolphus have? The Swedish national anthem? Or something else?

Krzowwh
Apr 21, 2012, 07:06 PM
What kind of theme should Gustavus Adolphus have? The Swedish national anthem? Or something else?

I would hope it would be Roman's Drottningholmsmusiken.

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 21, 2012, 07:26 PM
I think I managed to convince Greg to look into releasing the Main Menu Theme for God and Kings :)

Yay!

Pouakai
Apr 21, 2012, 07:53 PM
If you did, that will be awesome

Sam Kwon
Apr 22, 2012, 06:18 AM
I'm really curious about Attila's music since the Huns weren't really into music (not being insensitive)....wondering if it will be european or asian themed :)

Louis XXIV
Apr 22, 2012, 09:54 AM

It will be this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bD4ts8eWY)

No, I never tire of running Girl with the Dragon Tattoo jokes into the ground :p

On a more serious note, I'm sure it'll be based on something like the Swedish national anthem.

TheKingOfBigOz
Apr 22, 2012, 10:05 AM
I'm really curious about Attila's music since the Huns weren't really into music (not being insensitive)....wondering if it will be european or asian themed :)

You get to hear both of the tunes in the PAX Demo, he meets Attila and plays Attila during war (and since they haven't changed the rules, Attila's war theme plays when you re-load a game during wr time)

Art Grin
Apr 26, 2012, 11:57 AM
I think I managed to convince Greg to look into releasing the Main Menu Theme for God and Kings :)

Yay!

Did he say when he will release it or anything else?

Kimuyama
Apr 26, 2012, 12:06 PM
Are any other civ's music based on any national anthems?

ampmclock
Apr 26, 2012, 12:09 PM
The Hun's - Anywhere I roam, by Metallica
Mayans - The Time of the season, by the zombies

Art Grin
Apr 26, 2012, 12:18 PM
Are any other civ's music based on any national anthems?

To be honest I can't recall any civs music being based on their national anthems. It's usually popular song, historically important or famous pieces of music. National anthems aren't a good choice IMO since they represent the a nation and it's current from of government rather than the entire civilization, like for example the current Russian anthem wouldn't suit the Russian civ as it's representative of the current Republic and the USSR but wouldn't fit pre 1917 Russia.

Heinage
Apr 26, 2012, 03:14 PM
I'm Guessing The Netherlands will have the Wilhelmus,Seeing it refrences Willem Van Oranje.

I sure hope not!
That's our national anthem and I don't like the idea of national anthem's being the Civs theme music. Apart from that, it's not a terribly nice sounding one, unfortunately.
Though anything is better than that horrible carnival/circus sounding music the Dutch had in Civ IV :(

I can't think of what it actually will end up being for the Dutch though...

Cicero63
Apr 26, 2012, 03:41 PM
I sure hope not!
That's our national anthem and I don't like the idea of national anthem's being the Civs theme music. Apart from that, it's not a terribly nice sounding one, unfortunately.
Though anything is better than that horrible carnival/circus sounding music the Dutch had in Civ IV :(

I can't think of what it actually will end up being for the Dutch though...

Ha I thought the Dutch music in Civ IV sounded good up until the modern era when the carnival began. From that moment on I couldn't take William very seriously

synulia
Apr 26, 2012, 03:54 PM
Ha I thought the Dutch music in Civ IV sounded good up until the modern era when the carnival began. From that moment on I couldn't take William very seriously

Bahahaha. It sounded like something out of a Banjo-Kazooie game. Poor Willem doesn't get any respect.

drubell
Apr 26, 2012, 09:55 PM
I remember that the composers provided a site for people to listen to Vanilla Civ shortly before release. I wonder if they'd do that again for the expansion.

svett89
Apr 27, 2012, 09:10 AM

I could imagine them using "Fjäriln vingad syns på Haga". It's one of the more well-known traditional Swedish songs, written during the 18th century by Carl Michael Bellman. It could make for a great orchestration, I think.

Here's a link to an English version of the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACyYbupyNgc

Morningcalm
Apr 27, 2012, 10:02 PM
That's a great song, but it's just a couple of decades behind Gustavus Adolphus' lifetime. I wonder if there are Renaissance alternatives? For some of the leaders, like Augustus, Ramesses, Kamehameha, Nebuchadnezzar and Sejong they chose music from their time period, or even named after them/dedicated to them, and/or written/composed during their lifetime....

Kimuyama
Apr 28, 2012, 07:39 AM
"Vem kan segla" could be a nice song for sweden too

Montov
Apr 28, 2012, 09:01 AM

Yeah, that was bad. But, if can be worse if Firaxis really wants it, they just have to use "Zanger Rinus":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHEFbX81XWQ
:nuke:

Guandao
Apr 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
That's a great song, but it's just a couple of decades behind Gustavus Adolphus' lifetime. I wonder if there are Renaissance alternatives? For some of the leaders, like Augustus, Ramesses, Kamehameha, Nebuchadnezzar and Sejong they chose music from their time period, or even named after them/dedicated to them, and/or written/composed during their lifetime....

Not all leaders had themes from their lifetime. Catherine had Prokofiev. Bismarck had Ode to Joy, Elizabeth had I vow to thee, My country. and so on

Augustus' music was altered heavily,
Ramesses' music was based on ancient music, but I'm not sure what group made them.
Nebuchadnezzar's music is based on Hurrian Hymn (not exactly the same as Babylonian music but close)

Guandao
Apr 28, 2012, 12:25 PM
here my thread back at the regular civ5 forums,
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=426593

Morningcalm
Apr 28, 2012, 10:10 PM
Not all leaders had themes from their lifetime. Catherine had Prokofiev. Bismarck had Ode to Joy, Elizabeth had I vow to thee, My country. and so on

Augustus' music was altered heavily,
Ramesses' music was based on ancient music, but I'm not sure what group made them.
Nebuchadnezzar's music is based on Hurrian Hymn (not exactly the same as Babylonian music but close)

Yea, only some leaders have music from their time. But it's nice when the music matches the leader. If they can pair Gustavus Adolphus with music from his time, that'd be great. :)

Augustus and Ramesses are arguably from their time since ancient Roman/Egyptian music didn't evolve all that much, same for Nebuchadnezzar (though the problem with Nebby's is that his music is not specifically Babylonian per se).

Liex
Apr 28, 2012, 11:57 PM
here my thread back at the regular civ5 forums,
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=426593

Thank you, that's a nice list.

Prokofiev... that explains why I love the Russian theme so much.

Guandao
May 01, 2012, 03:31 PM
Ok, Geoff Knorr (one of the composers) responded to my email. He said that he will reveal more information about the music when the game is released. Hopefully, he'll keep his word.

Eagle Pursuit
May 01, 2012, 03:38 PM
Ok, Geoff Knorr (one of the composers) responded to my email. He said that he will reveal more information about the music when the game is released. Hopefully, he'll keep his word.

thanks for the update :goodjob: