View Full Version : Will Diplomatic Improvements...

ferretbacon
Apr 16, 2012, 08:46 PM
...allow the AI to bargain/haggle?

While the diplomacy system is lacking in several areas, this is the issue that's always stuck out like a sore thumb to me. The AI decides what a fair deal is and is generally unwilling to budge on their terms even by a little bit. You really can't negotiate with them. A simple mechanic that might help is some sort of rating system that forces the AI to decide not only what it wants, but how much it is worth to them; if you then offer a counter proposal, instead of rejecting it out of hand, they would instead consider it, weighing their desire for your offer with the modification of your demands.

I just find it frustrating that the AI won't modify their original proposal by anything other than minuscule increments.

Peng Qi
Apr 16, 2012, 11:03 PM
How is your suggestion any different from having the AI value a luxury at 240, but just proposing 190, then you have to counter-offer until it gets to 240?

(Although I do think that the AI weighting the value of commodities based on need would be a good idea. If it's at negative iron and you're the only person with surplus it should be willing to give up a lot for iron, for example.)

Camikaze
Apr 17, 2012, 06:30 AM
What Peng Qi said, but also, I don't think basing trade on actual demand/supply would work all that well with the current setup. Arguably, it should be more like that, but if the AI never requires happiness due to difficulty level bonuses, then they aren't going to ever actually want or need your luxury resources, making them worthless.

GoodSarmatian
Apr 17, 2012, 06:38 AM
What Peng Qi said, but also, I don't think basing trade on actual demand/supply would work all that well with the current setup. Arguably, it should be more like that, but if the AI never requires happiness due to difficulty level bonuses, then they aren't going to ever actually want or need your luxury resources, making them worthless.

The AI should really evaluate if it needs something.
Prices for luxuries are purely based on whether or not they do or don't like you for some opaque reason. They should be ready to pay more if they really need happiness (provided they remove the ridiculous happines bonus for AI civs).

CYZ
Apr 17, 2012, 06:49 AM
I hope both the way luxuries are valued and the huge bonusses the AI get are changed.

To me it seems like those happiness bonusses were a way to ''fix'' that they couldn't get the AI programming for luxury valuation in time. They've had plenty of time in the meanwhile...

Louis XXIV
Apr 17, 2012, 07:34 AM
I've seen the AI be flexible before. You have to offer something more/different to get a different proposal, but you can work things out so they both want things.

I don't see the point in having it so the AI will offer an unfair price just so you can haggle for a fair one. That's just pointless micromanagement.