View Full Version : Will G+K make using naval commands easier?

insaneweasel
Apr 17, 2012, 12:42 AM
This is one of the biggest things that makes me dislike playing on water maps (unlike civ 4). Even with embarkation, naval events are a huge headache.

First, will they fix the problems you encounter when you try to get a unit onto water? If your unit is in the middle of land, and you click on the coast, it will probably not ever embark unless you force it to.
Once it's on water, getting it to move from a to b in reasonable time is impossible due to crappy pathfinding. On top of that, getting units out of water onto land requires multiple clicks with no guarantee of getting the results you want :mad: Will that be changed?

Finally, having to deal with large numbers of naval units by is really boring. Could a series of buttons or commands be included that makes transporting a naval army from one part of the map to another decent?

EEE_BOY
Apr 17, 2012, 08:40 AM
This is one of the biggest things that makes me dislike playing on water maps (unlike civ 4). Even with embarkation, naval events are a huge headache.

First, will they fix the problems you encounter when you try to get a unit onto water? If your unit is in the middle of land, and you click on the coast, it will probably not ever embark unless you force it to.
Once it's on water, getting it to move from a to b in reasonable time is impossible due to crappy pathfinding. On top of that, getting units out of water onto land requires multiple clicks with no guarantee of getting the results you want :mad: Will that be changed?

Finally, having to deal with large numbers of naval units by is really boring. Could a series of buttons or commands be included that makes transporting a naval army from one part of the map to another decent?
Use the short key 'M'

Eagle Pursuit
Apr 17, 2012, 09:09 AM
I have a different problem. If I tell a unit to move to a different location on the same landmass and there is coastline along the route, the unit will inevitably choose to embark on the water (where it is more vulnerable to naval units) because of rough terrain and then get obliderated by some rogue barbarian trireme or the only ship that the enemy AI ever made that just happened to be loitering there. This should be mitigated in G & K though because of defensive embark.

I agree with the crappy pathfinding, but I don't have issues with units not wanting to embark/disembark. It may not be in the precise beachhead that I want, but they get where I tell them to get eventually (unless obliderated by some rogue barbarian trireme, as stated above).

KokeenoPokameso
Apr 17, 2012, 11:51 AM
Over land or sea trying to navigate large armies over long distances is a pain just way too much Miro-management especially If you trying to navisgate around mountain on land or small Ilands over the Sea.

I wish you could group units together for long distant travel over land and/or sea. You would have to be able select multiple units then hit a group button. Ideally the group would stay in formation when possible, group formation would have to break in order to navigate rough terrain but then should reform on when you reach open turain.

Eagle Pursuit
Apr 17, 2012, 11:56 AM
I agree that would be nice if you could take a group of units all at once and send them to a different set of tiles and they would re-allign in the same formation as when you selected them. Moving large armies is pretty tedious work.

shaglio
Apr 17, 2012, 02:17 PM
I would love it if they made it so that if you held down "shift" while setting an auto-route for a land unit, the unit would only travel over land. It would obviously show the red circle if you tried to move the unit to another landmass that could only be reached by embarking.

Civsassin
Apr 17, 2012, 07:28 PM
Rally points would make the task much easier. Just get me to within xx tiles of a rally point, and I will organize them from there.

CoolLizy
Apr 18, 2012, 07:50 AM
It would also help if units wouldn't come to a stand-still and demand new orders just because some other random unit is standing in a tile they won't even get to for another ten turns. Moving a large army in this game after the end of a military campaign is a pain, and part of the reason I tend to stick to smaller map sizes.