View Full Version : My Moo3 Review

S1Genocide
Mar 03, 2003, 12:23 AM
First thing i have to say before you buy this game WAIT for the first patch....
:rant: :suicide:
(Gaming Experience)
Ive had every 4x game ever made
Moo, Moo2, Moo3, Ascendancy, Star Reach, Reach for the Stars Spaceword Ho! (Starcontrol 1 2 and 3) Homeworld
SE3, Space Empires IV, Conquest Frontier Wars, Pax Imperia 2
Starships Unlimited Divided Galaxies

Second If you haven't already try the Starships Unlimited Divided Galaxies Demo First. This is because the computer controls everything in Starships Unlimited Divided Galaxies but of course the starships (which if you want to have fun playing Moo3 you'll have to get used to) the demo can be found here http://www.apezone.com/
:saiyan: = Should be Fixed First in a Patch
Now Im posting the bad things first (because they are kinda dissapointing)
Dev Bugs
:saiyan:
1.Troopship bug or (the bug i hate most) try building warships using the max military devplan go to a planet design and build a warship if you dont check that planet every turn chances are the viceroy will magically change your battleship to 5 trooptransports
2.Turning the DevPlans off doesnt work theyll just find a way to change your production anyway.
3.Adding more than the max number of devplans (yes its possible)
will ruin your savegames and I mean all of them (also saving during a surface error crash will do this aswell.

NOTE: Many people are remaking the interface I leave those fixes to the modders
4.the interface has many differant ways of crashing the game itself as you can add more to things then you should: example you can only have a certain number of dev plans at once but it allows you to add more causing a crash
(theres more than that in dev bugs just go to the moo3 forum those are the ones I HATE)

AI Bugs
:saiyan: (NOTE) the entire AI needs tweaking it is possible to mod AI behavior but I want Quicksilver to make an AI tweak

1.Diplomacy is stupid the AI is WAY to erratic i could have a complete allience with someone and theyll declare war then 2 turns later be nice to me again.

2.They AI never attacks planets at all (sometimes they'll send a few frigates or corvettes to your system but theyll just sit there blockading you nothing much else.

3.The AI never invades at all.

NOTE IM MAKING A COMBAT SCREEN MOD FIRST THING
Combat is very fun but I have some gripes
why couldnt the have textured the space combat screen do we really need that green grid couldn't they have added some stars to the background (oh wait the ships are so small you would be confused between them and the stars)

Id like to say im modding the combat screen first thing since everything is moddable and im replacing the green grid with a star background and enlargeing all the ship *.png files

StarLanes are an Ascendancy thing I hate them and it should take a shorter amount of time then 20 turns with the best drive to go somewhere without using them.

What ever happened to researching fuel cells? why can I go anywhere from the begining of the game?

Now The Good Things

1.Lots of ways to design races

2.Easy to mod

3.Combat is fun!

4.The game is pretty easy (yeah after 75+ hours of gameplay and figuring everything out on your own because of the poor documentation)

5.Lots of stars

6.The plot is great

7.The alien animations are awesome!

After a large amount of gameplay you will learn to love it however until alot of the bugs are squashed I suggest waiting for the first patch because the game is worth about 27 dollars as of right now NOT 50 bucks....

DaEezT
Mar 03, 2003, 03:26 AM
2.Turning the viceroys off doesnt work theyll just find a way to change your production anyway.

If you're talking about DEAs, then it's true, but the AI won't change planetary/military production or the planet budget sliders after turning it off.

3.Adding more than the max number of devplans (yes its possible)
will ruin your savegames and I mean all of them (also saving during a surface error crash will do this aswell.

Doing something that you are not ment to do(adding more of something than the max value) and then complaining that it won't work :rolleyes:

3.The AI never invades at all.
apart from the fleet consisting of 88 ships from two races(I'm at war with both) with 14 troop transports wich killed my fleet and took control of my planet...

Grey Fox
Mar 03, 2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by S1Genocide
What ever happened to researching fuel cells? why can I go anywhere from the begining of the game?The game starts after MoO2 in time...

Hitro
Mar 03, 2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Grey Fox
The game starts after MoO2 in time...
Too bad people only remembered the fuel cells but forgot the hydroponic farms. ;)

Grey Fox
Mar 03, 2003, 07:00 AM
Don't ask me, I havn't played MoO2 :p

ProPain
Mar 03, 2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by S1Genocide
First thing i have to say before you buy this game WAIT for the first patch....

After a large amount of gameplay you will learn to love it however until alot of the bugs are squashed I suggest waiting for the first patch because the game is worth about 27 dollars NOT 50 bucks

Wait for the first patch... Well at least those people at infogrames are consistent. Release ASAP, cash first, patch later. :cry:

Grey Fox
Mar 03, 2003, 08:47 AM
I think it works good...

damunzy
Mar 03, 2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by DaEezT
Doing something that you are not ment to do(adding more of something than the max value) and then complaining that it won't work :rolleyes:It still shouldn't cause the game to crash and/or corrupt your saved games. :rolleyes:

@S1Genocide: What I want to know is how you played 250+ hours already?

S1Genocide
Mar 03, 2003, 01:29 PM
First I havent stopped playing since i got it. but still fifty bones is alot for a game riddled with bugs (and what they had beta testers?) cmon now really......

S1Genocide: What I want to know is how you played 250+ hours already?

That was an exageration of how long it took to learn because of bad documentation.

Doing something that you are not ment to do(adding more of something than the max value) and then complaining that it won't work

They should have added a block so that you couldnt add more than what was there.

Hey DaEezT I see your not defending that dam troopship bug
that should be fixed FIRST of all things

kittenOFchaos
Mar 03, 2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by ProPain

Wait for the first patch... Well at least those people at infogrames are consistent. Release ASAP, cash first, patch later. :cry:

With MOO3 they delayed it nearly year, in this case I think it would be unfair to say Infogrames pushed this out prematurely. To keep it in development for ever till the development team have perfected it is a very risky strategy as maybe they never will.

damunzy
Mar 03, 2003, 07:37 PM
There will always be people that complain that the games are play tested enough....I don't know of any game that ever came out perfect.