View Full Version : Straight to Monarchy?

Leowind
Mar 10, 2003, 09:45 AM
I'll not start a poll until we actually have the start game and know our beginning location and techs. I would *assume* we will be going straight for Monarchy in our tech path, but want to give our fair citizens (and even the unfair ones) a chance to comment. Post your agreement or ideas here :)

Talar
Mar 10, 2003, 10:43 AM
Straight for monarchy as in a short detour on the otherwise straight path for philosophy I suppose that is.

Leowind
Mar 10, 2003, 10:49 AM
Philosophy is a noble goal, as well, though a bit farther out than Monarchy (we tend to play fewer turns at a time here than in GC Multi demo game).

I'd love to hear discussion on pros/cons of Monarchy as our goal then decide what next, or Philosophy as our goal and pick up Monarchy on our way.

funxus
Mar 10, 2003, 11:11 AM
Generally I think our first tech goal should be monarchy, and maybe a detour to Bronze working or Pottery if we feel ready to start a wonder or if none of the choices given leads to monarchy. I remember that Starlifter "planned" the first techs to monarchy in the last demo game, because he could calculate when the techs would be hidden or not. Well, that'll be a question for when the game is created:)

Leowind
Mar 10, 2003, 11:21 AM
If someone would like to "plan" the tech path based on when techs would be available ala Starlifter, that would be great. I must confess I don't have the knowledge in my head, nor the time and energy (nor the interest) in doing that much work myself. I "got" the concept as he presented it, but the details were a bit overwhelming. I DO know that you cannot get to Monarchy directly without being forced to choose one other tech on the way. What early Wonder we want to pursue will likely influence what that tech will be. This will depend on what techs we start with, of course.

puglover
Mar 10, 2003, 12:20 PM
We should aim for Iron Working. Legions rock! Then we should go for Monarchy.

funxus
Mar 10, 2003, 12:26 PM
I did a search and found that someone has made a DOS-program that can plan your techs and show what techs are available next. It seems to work:)

Here (http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ2/utility/Civ2plan.zip) 's the link

Leowind
Mar 10, 2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by funxus
I did a search and found that someone has made a DOS-program that can plan your techs and show what techs are available next. It seems to work:)

Here (http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ2/utility/Civ2plan.zip) 's the link Very cool :cool: I've saved it and will take it home tonight and try it out. Won't have a lot of time for extensive testing, so if anyone else has any experience with this program, good or bad, please let me know.

Leowind
Mar 10, 2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by puglover
We should aim for Iron Working. Legions rock! Then we should go for Monarchy. Yes, early Legions can be very powerful, but early trade/science advantages (e.g. Monarchy) are even better, IMHO.

Andu Indorin
Mar 10, 2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by funxus

Here (http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ2/utility/Civ2plan.zip) 's the link

Yes, this is very useful utility; been using it for quite some time.

Any how, why not skip Monarchy and go direct for Republic?

Leowind
Mar 10, 2003, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the personal testimonial, Andu :)

And now early Republic has been raised as an option. We may get enough choices here to do a poll ;)

Keep the suggestions and comments coming. Once the start is posted I'll post a poll with all the suggestions from this thread.

Octavian X
Mar 10, 2003, 04:05 PM
I'd rather go to straight to monarchy myself. That way, we won't have to worry about unhappiness during exploration, and we can have the benefits of a government other than despotism (no offense, O Great Empress Jayne.) :D

CivGeneral
Mar 10, 2003, 05:38 PM
I would head to Monarchy also. But we need to take a bee line to Bronze Working and Iron working to get the best defensive units.

Jayne
Mar 11, 2003, 04:03 AM
I'm interested in the 'straight to Republic' route. It's not something I do usually, but I'm happy to give it a go!

Also, apart from deciding our first goal, we may want to consider a secondary goal, should we not be offered the techs we need. I guess this will probably be decided by which Wonders we want to go for first.

Elsaak
Mar 11, 2003, 04:26 AM
For the Wonders, I usually go for The Pyramids, but since the last DemoGame, I learned that the Hanging Gardens are VERY helpfull... (and especially when we lost them...!)

Talar
Mar 11, 2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Leowind
Philosophy is a noble goal, as well, though a bit farther out than Monarchy (we tend to play fewer turns at a time here than in GC Multi demo game).

I know ;) I just happen to like planning as far ahead as possible.

About going straight for republic, I think that's a dangerous path unless we have a real good plan of how to benefit from it that early. I think it would give us some serious problems with early exploration and wonder building.

Leowind
Mar 11, 2003, 11:17 AM
I d/l the research utility and did some very quick testing, but it seems to not be returning correct results. Can anyone clue me in on how to properly install and use this? Thanks

JAILEM
Mar 11, 2003, 12:38 PM
I usually go for Monarchy as soon as possible. An early republic seems to cause too many problems when a lot of units are out exploring.

GaryNemo
Mar 11, 2003, 01:01 PM
Straight to Monarchy: Alphabet CerBur X=Bronze? CodeLaws Monarchy. The food growth and 3.Support are wonderful.

Bronze could just as well be Writing, imho, even Map.

Straight to Republic is not something I've tried. The unit unhappiness doesn't worry me, it's the loss of production which is needed to build Wonders. I believe the experts deliberately gift Republic to the AI to slow down the AI's production...

Hanging Gardens is my choice, there is nothing else like it for Deity.

Legions are nice, but we are likely to get Archers from a science hut, which seem adequate Barb defence and conquest units.

GaryNemo
Mar 11, 2003, 01:07 PM
If we take X=Bronze, the defensive interest group gets Phalanx.

And after Monarchy, chose Currency then Trade, my real favorite. Then Writing, then Pottery and we've been building vans for the Hanging Gardens so we can research Pottery last and build it nearly upon discovery from 4 Vans. That is, the delay until we can build Hanging Gardens is reduced, not prolonged.

CivGeneral
Mar 11, 2003, 02:35 PM
My main consern is the Defense of our cities. I would like to see Hoplites (Excuse me for saying Hoplites but it is easyer for me to spell out Hoplite than Phalix (sp) :s )

Shahadet
Mar 15, 2003, 11:47 AM
I would also like to see an immediate jump to republic. Hanging Gardens should be built as soon as a second city is made so as to ofset the unhappiness. As for production, just disband any unnecessary defenders. The huts should provide us with enough NONE units and one or two chariots/elephants can be supported by a helper city to act as a mobile defence force against barbs. not all cities actually need a defender if the diplomacy is handled correctly. A small, elite, highly mobalised force can easily deal with any threats from barbs. Add some diplomats to this force and the AI can easily be held off. Some border cities will naturally require defenders but I do not believe that production has to suffer in any way by jumping straight to republic. However for this to work well we do need to get some cities down soon! (see the turn thread).