View Full Version : Starting new game - Info

Duke of Marlbrough
Mar 11, 2003, 11:59 PM
The game thread has been started over.

Please copy any posts you may have made in this thread to the new thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47346).

Octavian X
Mar 12, 2003, 12:06 AM
Double settlers, good... Bronze working, that'll appease military...

I think, though, that the game's creator has screwed up a few names.

Well, let this be the start of the glourious Commonwealth of Fanatican Cities! Long Live the Empire! Long Live Empress Jayne! (and don't forget Vice-Emperor Octavian. :p)

Chieftess
Mar 12, 2003, 12:08 AM
And good luck in this one! :D

Duke of Marlbrough
Mar 12, 2003, 01:14 AM
Since the 'official' name was too long to be entered into the game, the acronym CFC was used instead; just as it was in the last Demo Game we had. It definately seemed better than 'Commom Fanatican Cities'.

Leowind
Mar 12, 2003, 01:32 AM
And we're off!!:jump: [dance] :jump:

Umm...shouldn't it be "Empire of CFC" Dictator something-or-other? :confused: Doesn't matter, the game is begun, and an interesting starting position. This is a random map, correct?

Andu Indorin
Mar 12, 2003, 01:32 AM
In about 6000 years or so, I see a major ski resort due north of our starting position. This should give me plenty time to wax the skis for that double diamond run.:goodjob:

Elsaak
Mar 12, 2003, 02:51 AM
So,.... which displacement would we propose to our Great Empress...?

go NW W S to the hut for one
E and look around for founding REGIA FANATICA for the other

what's yours opinions ?

Jayne
Mar 12, 2003, 05:18 AM
Greetings loyal subject!!! :queen::lol:

I plan to play on Saturday (or Friday if we are ready) and I will play 5 turns.

I need my advisors to gather the following information and post here by Friday evening:

Shall we pop the hut before settling?
Shall we build the capital where we are or explore?
Where shall we move the settlers? Where do we explore first?
If we build a capital, what do we build?
What tax rate?
What research?
Do we keep the second settler to improve unsupported, or build another town?

I think we should pop the hut and hopefully get a NONE unit to explore with. I think we should go one square east before settling - we'd still have the fish, but not the swamp. Maybe the settler not hut-popping should build a road where it stands then go east to settle when the hut is popped.

CivGeneral
Mar 12, 2003, 05:41 AM
Excelent, I see we already have Bronze Working :). I strongly recoment settling there. Its much to risky to pop that Goodie Hut. It might hold Barbarians in there. We should use the second settler as a "Worker" unit, building roads Irrugating, and mining.
And what to build in the city, First we should build two warriors and a Phialinx (sp).

Elsaak
Mar 12, 2003, 05:42 AM
I prefer try to pop and get a NONE before settling.
The E location is good for me too, but I would like to see Eastern before...

For the second settler, after poping (in 3 turns), he may : or coming back to improve land, or go have a look Western if the hut give something else than an unit.

Zelig
Mar 12, 2003, 05:52 AM
You can't get barbarians in the first few turns or if the hut is in the radius of a city, so I think we should go pop the hut and explore a bit to look for a good city spot.

We should build cities with both settlers so as to get to monarchy ASAP

edit: Is the game saved in 2.42?

DvR
Mar 12, 2003, 06:28 AM
Woohoo, we're off :D

Heil to the Dictator

And i agree, pop the hut before founding the city

Jayne
Mar 12, 2003, 07:30 AM
I don't think you get barbs for the first 16 turns so we are quite safe to pop the hut. I'd rather do it before settling so if we get a unit it will be a NONE.

I think to begin with I'd build a phalanx to defend the city, then a warrior to explore.

Shahadet
Mar 12, 2003, 07:53 AM
I think some people are being too careful. We should expand hard and fast! Although I am not an adivisor I belive it is my civil duty to help our glourious leader make the right decisions for a prosperous future. :D

I recommend settling the city right away, its not that bad a site at all and the swamps can easily be delt with in the middle game. The second settler should move to the shielded grassland and make a road. Then it should continue north or west to search for a new city site. The sooner we have two cities the sooner we can have four. If we did not found a city and went for the hut then we are going to be giving away four turns of research towards our science goal. Four turns of research for something that may not even produce a unit. I have found it to be unneccasary to build phalanxes early on in the game. Instead build one to two warriors for exploration before switching to a settler. A warrior can always be recalled for martial law duties. Thats about all I can suggest at such an early stage.

funxus
Mar 12, 2003, 08:37 AM
Here's our starting position:

And our Starting Tech(s):

Jayne has the game file and can start when ready.
How come everyone else seem to have downloaded the game, when I can't even see anything?:confused:

funxus
Mar 12, 2003, 08:51 AM
Sorry, I can see the pics now. Opera must have screwed something up...:)
Well, we should definitely pop the hut, and preferably before we found our capital.
Do we know the pattern from the picture? Or is it too little info?

If we build a capital, what do we build?
It depends a bit on what the hut gives us.
If it's a unit, we'll need one less explorer/defender, if not we'll have to build another explorer/defender in one of our cities.
I usually just send out one explorer, which end up being more after some huts are popped. One defender is also necessary in each city, especially because of unhappiness. So...

Hut--> unit: --each city-->one warrior-->settler
Hut-->no unit: --one city-->one warrior-->settler --other city--> two warriors-->settler

Any objections?

funxus
Mar 12, 2003, 09:21 AM
I found a special/hut-pattern map:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=117603

According to this map, it seems as if the square NW of the hut (in our map) is at least a 3-special and maybe even a 4-special spot.
That square is also connected to water, so if the terrain is decent, maybe it could be a good place for a capital or a second city?

Jayne
Mar 12, 2003, 09:45 AM
Well, if we're going to pop the hut first, when the settler is over there we will have more of an idea if there are any more specials. If there is, then we are in the right place to settle. At the same time, the other settler moving a square or two east may also reveal specials.

As I said, I plan to move 5 turns, but I could stop at 3 or 4 if I think we find a good city site (or two) so we can discuss/vote on settling :D

naervod
Mar 12, 2003, 10:14 AM
As the Foreign Affairs Advisor, I think we should pop the hut. As for the city, I really don't know, because I think the File Server is down. If someone could email me the image at XXXbingitz2002@yahoo.comXXX (between x's) that would be good.

Duke of Marlbrough
Mar 12, 2003, 10:17 AM
I sent a new game to Jayne with the correct names. I don't think I could stand the game always referring to us as the Romans. Sorry for the mess-up in my haste.

In addition to that the file server is not working too smoothly right now, so the pictures can't be updated as of yet. We did get another free tech out of starting over though. We now have Bronze working and Alphabet.

I'll start a new thread once the files can be uploaded.

Jayne
Mar 12, 2003, 10:31 AM
If you want to use your imaginations for the picture until it's uploaded, we have 2 settlers on a buffalo, the is a hut on forest 2xNE, inland lake of 2 squares to the E/SE, 3 desert tiles, 7 tiles of water around the N and W edge. Confused yet?!!! :lol:

I think it starts like a good position to build a city - better than before.

naervod
Mar 12, 2003, 10:36 AM
Only slightly confused :).

Anyways, from what it sounds like I feel that we should definitely settle in that spot. and use the other settler to pop the hut. do some improvements and the find another good site to settle down.

GaryNemo
Mar 12, 2003, 11:18 AM
Here's my idea: One Settler go pop the Hut ASAP, hopefully we'll get a None unit. Build Capital after that as follows. Road right where we are. Then NW to Capital position Pure Green N of Fish, where we get a free extra production. Serf on newly built Road. Start a Warrior to explore, then come back to guard?

Second Settler will be at Hut. Somehow, perhaps build a Road, then Settle the second city. Perhaps each city build one Warrior, then a Settler? We need more information.

Duke of Marlbrough
Mar 12, 2003, 11:23 AM
New Thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47346)