View Full Version : Turn 19 - 3100 BC

Octavian X
Mar 15, 2003, 03:04 PM
Not much new...

Cyc
Mar 15, 2003, 04:26 PM
Looks good, Octavian X. Can you tell me exactly where the Settler is going? Is it SW of the furs?

Octavian X
Mar 16, 2003, 02:34 AM
It's one of those hills next to that road, per this poll. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47464)

Any thoughts on what to build next?

Fier Canadien
Mar 16, 2003, 08:43 AM
What about a spearman? It looks like everybody agrees that our cap shouldn't have been left undefended.

Ehecatl Atzin
Mar 16, 2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Octavian X
...Any thoughts on what to build next?

defense should be built before we think of all else, warriors or spearmen for the two cities, after we build a couple of warriors in Sacred Forest, I would like to see another settler followed by another warrior/spearman and then a temple.

EA

Gingerbread Man
Mar 17, 2003, 12:07 AM
I believe X marks the spot of our next city.

FortyJ
Mar 17, 2003, 09:42 AM
We should build at least 4 more warriors (2 for defense of the two cities and another 2 for exploring to the north. We need to know with 100% certainty if we are indeed cut off from the rest of the world, before we spend valuable time and money researching Map Making.

If we are not on an island, then we should begin to research towards Horseback Riding so that we can get as many Horses (for future upgrades to Riders) as possible.

eyrei
Mar 17, 2003, 01:27 PM
Since there is definately not a whole lot of land to the south, the warrior should go check if we are really on an island by investigating what could be a land bridge to the north.

Ehecatl Atzin
Mar 17, 2003, 01:58 PM
particularly to that little river northeast of Sacred Forest. it looks like prime real estate for settler production centers.

EA

FortyJ
Mar 17, 2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by eyrei
Since there is definately not a whole lot of land to the south, the warrior should go check if we are really on an island by investigating what could be a land bridge to the north.
Yes! The northern-most warrior should head west immediately! No discussion should be held on the matter. He should begin moving there yesterday!

We're essentially committed to building this settler now. Once complete (in 2 turns), we will find ourselves back to size 1. At size 1, I believe our best shield production will be at 3spt, meaning it will take us 4 turns to complete a warrior. Furthermore, since we'll be size 1 again, we won't even be able to rush completion. This means that it will be 6 turns before we are even able to defend our capitol!

Once that settler is built, we will be totally exposed and there's nothing we can do about it. Unless, we get really lucky, which I think we have been up to this point. I hope we don't press our luck too much.

Recall the Northern Warrior!

FortyJ
Mar 17, 2003, 02:26 PM
Suggestion #2 - Irrigate the Deer!

Let's convert that Deer to Game and get some real food production in this city so that we can grow faster and start making many, many more settlers.

Chieftess
Mar 17, 2003, 02:28 PM
In fact, a warrior should have been built even before the settler started! Which is what I asked for 10 turns ago. If there IS a unit in the fog, then we have atleast 2-4 more turns to enjoy this game.

Chieftess
Mar 17, 2003, 02:29 PM
Why the deer? It's 2 food, 2 shields. If we chop it down, it's 2 food, 1 shield... We're in despotism.

croxis
Mar 17, 2003, 05:22 PM
I'm starting to think we are not on an island anymore.

I URGE to send a scout unit to the north.

FortyJ
Mar 17, 2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Chieftess
Why the deer? It's 2 food, 2 shields. If we chop it down, it's 2 food, 1 shield... We're in despotism.
Irrigated Grassland with Game produces 4/0/1. With a road, it becomes 4/0/2 and if the grassland is enriched (not sure if this is even possible), it'll go to 4/1/2. Either way, the 4 food will allow our city to grow rapidly and with all the forest surrounding us, we should have no problems with production.

Noldodan
Mar 18, 2003, 05:42 AM
2 days without a new save...

Fier Canadien
Mar 18, 2003, 05:46 AM
Yes, but that is in any later government. In despotism, irrigation on grassland does nothing. We should keep the games as are until we are in Rep/Monarchy.

FortyJ
Mar 18, 2003, 01:44 PM
You're mistaken Fier... In Despotism, that tile will produce 4 food if irrigated with game. If you have any doubt, test it.

Fier Canadien
Mar 18, 2003, 05:15 PM
Ohh, well. I guess it is maybe different in the Mac 1.21g patch. We want 1.29something and the corresponding editor!