View Full Version : Runoff Poll: where should we place our third city?

Gingerbread Man
Apr 01, 2003, 03:41 AM
Where shall we place our forth city?

I will give an analysis on each position and its benefits, later.

EDIT: accidently said 4th city. This poll is to decide the third city.

Gingerbread Man
Apr 01, 2003, 03:58 AM
A:
Maximum population (with current technology):
Maximum production (with current technology):

B:

C:

D:

E:

F:

G:

H:

I:
6 (no adjacent river)

J:

K:
6 (no adjacent river)

L:

After observing this, I say go for site B.

Cyc
Apr 01, 2003, 05:16 AM
I voted "A". It seems the best for me. If we place a city due West of "L", then we'll cover the spice and game (or whatever that is in the woods).

Goonie
Apr 01, 2003, 05:41 AM
I picked B. It is on the hill for defence, and it is a bit farther from Shen Ling.

Gingerbread Man
Apr 01, 2003, 05:52 AM
Here is a better view of the area:

FortyJ
Apr 01, 2003, 08:11 AM
GBM - did you account for the clearing of forests in your analysis of the potential city sites? Clearing that forest tile and irrigating it should allow even site 'L' to grow to size 12.

Nonetheless, I think this poll is a bit premature. If we wait maybe one or two more turns, our warrior should have scouted the area to the west of the northern lake, possibly revealing a better location or at the very least helping to identify a possible pattern of locations.

Also, I think anything more than 4 tiles away from another of our cities should be excluded at this time as it is too difficult to properly defend. I'd like to remind everyone that even though we've found one neighbor to our east who appears to be peaceful at the moment, we still do not know for certain what lies to the north of us.

Killer A's
Apr 01, 2003, 07:55 PM
Given all of the current conditions I voted B.

Octavian X
Apr 01, 2003, 11:46 PM
I will hold off on a vote - We may very well find something of interest beyond the incense.

Hygro
Apr 02, 2003, 12:28 AM
So far I say G, as it is better city efficiency, plus has fresh water, game, and incense.

However, let's get a little more terrain info.

Gingerbread Man
Apr 02, 2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by FortyJ
GBM - did you account for the clearing of forests in your analysis of the potential city sites? Clearing that forest tile and irrigating it should allow even site 'L' to grow to size 12.

No. But remember that only 1 forest would be worth clearing - The other has game, and the one surrounded by mountains couldn't be irrigated. Site L was said size 6 because we dont have the technology for Aqueducts yet (where I said 'with current technology')

OK, site B may be a bit too far off. And I will be happy to start another poll if new circumstances arise.

FortyJ
Apr 02, 2003, 06:31 AM
If that is indeed a lake to the north, then there would be no need for an aqueduct in site L. And clearing the forest with the game would provide 4 food in that tile alone, most likely assuring that any city within reach of that can grow considerably well for some time to come.

Gingerbread Man
Apr 06, 2003, 05:22 AM
OK, I've been convinced - G is a better site for a city, but maybe the whole area is too far away. So maybe we should go for site K - I believe it is now confirmed as fresh water - or do you need a river for a free aqueduct?

Anyway, I believe that so much has been discussed now that any votes at the beginning most probably wont count anymore - I think that this poll should be disreguarded, and we build a city on the lakeside, adjacent to the game.

So that would be either F, K, SW of game, or west of game.

Who is up for another poll with these new sites in consideration?

Cheetah
Apr 06, 2003, 10:22 AM
I am. I vote for F

FortyJ
Apr 06, 2003, 01:35 PM
GBM
Lakes provide fresh water, thus there is no need for an aqueduct in a city established on its shore.

I believe we should repoll the issue and consider building a city on top of the gold enriched hill in the south near Zhi Gang. Doing so will provide 4+ commerce in that city which can prove extremely beneficial to our research goals.

Hygro
Apr 06, 2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by FortyJ
GBM
Lakes provide fresh water, thus there is no need for an aqueduct in a city established on its shore.

I believe we should repoll the issue and consider building a city on top of the gold enriched hill in the south near Zhi Gang. Doing so will provide 4+ commerce in that city which can prove extremely beneficial to our research goals.

I second that motion.

Gingerbread Man
Apr 11, 2003, 01:20 AM
And I third it. Gold, fish, and forests - we cant go wrong.

croxis
Apr 11, 2003, 01:25 AM
4th

Cheetah
Apr 11, 2003, 07:14 AM
5th

amirsan
Apr 11, 2003, 06:53 PM
G for fresh water of A for high pops.

Hygro
Apr 12, 2003, 01:54 AM
amirsan have you been closely following the game? I mention this because their is new information out therefore we have learned of a great city location not even on the poll (however out of these options G is indeed the best ;))

amirsan
Apr 15, 2003, 02:40 PM
But now we know that G could be our next placement. :)

Gingerbread Man
Apr 19, 2003, 04:17 AM
OK, it has been decided. we will place our third city on 'the gold enriched hill in the south near Zhi Gang.'

I will start a thread to decide where we will go from there.