May 08, 2003, 01:14 PM
300 BC: Changes made
Viking Mine founded

275 BC: Aztecs almost finished Pyramids
LC finish caravan
Igloria founded (below jungle)

250 BC: Tenochtitlan builds Pyramids
Rest switch ro Colossus
Dip in RF, Trireme in LP (start caravans)

225 BC: French nearly completed Colossus.:eek:
Barb leader caught by ellie.
Both caravans out of reach this turn.
Treasury 399g - RB col for 312g

200 BC: Dou completes Col. Rest switch to GW.:)
Tax set to 60% (Discoveries in 12 turns)

175 BC: 500 000 People
Hut popped - 50g
RF - size 4

150 BC: EF - Copper van (starts van)
Ipec - dip (starts settler)
Igl - warrior (starts settler)
VM - warrior (starts settler)
Hut popped - Masonry:D
Tax set to 70% (Discoveries in 8, 16g-8g)

125 BC: Start Mathematics

100 BC: RF fish discovered
Discover Tenochtitlan (Pyramids)
Trireme one more move and dip ready to disembark for contact.

Math probably ready next turn
34b/turn, 224b/tech
16g-8g

funxus
May 08, 2003, 01:18 PM
Forgot the file:blush:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/west100b.JPG
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/east100b.JPG

funxus
May 08, 2003, 01:37 PM
Some issues that might need attention:
Many cities are growing soon (Dou, EF, LP, Nae, Igl, LC), and VM(2) and RF has grown(4).

What approach do we want towards the Aztecs? Remember spotless rep. We might want their pyramids.

Many cities might need to switch to something (Dou to CH or Lib), maybe a few more settlers.

What to build in Neu (MPE ready in 3)?

Anywhere we'd like to expand? Aztec continent? Some islands?

Trade - Copper Caravan NE of LC (sup in EF) is demanded in Dou. Deliver or use for Cops? Dou supplies dye and hides, Tenoch. demands dye and hides.

There are probably more issues, but these were a few I thought of.:)

TimTheEnchanter
May 08, 2003, 02:25 PM
225 BC: French nearly completed Colossus.:eek:
Barb leader caught by ellie.
Both caravans out of reach this turn.
Treasury 399g - RB col for 312g

200 BC: Dou completes Col. Rest switch to GW.:)
:beer: [dance] Hooray for the Barbarian Trap!! That turn more than makes up for the early aggravation they caused us!

Aztecs are usually pretty decent researchers, so it would probably be a good idea to be nice with them for now if we can. It wouldn't hurt to see what techs they have available to trade, although I wouldn't take much that is off track from our stated target techs (Mono, Astro, Rep and Nav seemed like the faves). And for goodness sake if they've got Math, get it at all costs so we can apply our beakers to the next tech.

TheViking
May 08, 2003, 03:13 PM
:goodjob: We have made nice progress.

Looks like my decision to press for temporary maximum taxes was correct.

If we do not get mathematics from the Aztecs we should maybe set taxes to maximum to prevent us from discovering mathematics until we know whether we can acquire it from the AI civs. MPE will be completed three turns from now and we could also RB it now. This would mean maximum taxes for either one or three turns. We could even decide not to make contact with the Aztecs until we have MPE (in that case we definitely should RB MPE). Lastly, I don't think we should get ourselves any techs through exchanges for now that delay monotheism, republic and astronomy/navigation with the possible exception of bridge building.

Maybe only 1-3 turns should be played next so we can discuss what to aim for when exchanging techs with the AI civs after MPE is completed ?

Some more points to discuss before any polls:

Rush buy marketplace in Dou ? (I'd probably do so within 5 turns)

Store EF's copper caravan or establish trade route since copper is demanded in Dou (and Dou, our SSC city, wants trade routes) ?

Rush buy settler in PB and/or switch to settler in LC ? (we want to start improving the land around Dou)

Neu can't grow now, switch from forest to something else once we have MPE.

Which city should be our #2 wonder building city that builds Mike and those wonders that do not need to be in the SSC ? Probably Neu, possibly LC.

What to do in the eastern cities. They are very vulnerable and we also need settlers there.

It's tempting to expand west and it also seems there might be a nice island N of Igloria.

Personally I have absolutely no interest in the pyramids (which the Aztecs have), we'd be a republic by the time we could capture them and can grow our cities using WLTP. Our only benefit would be preventing the AI from having them.

funxus
May 08, 2003, 03:24 PM
Personally I have absolutely no interest in the pyramids (which the Aztecs have), we'd be a republic by the time we could capture them and can grow our cities using WLTP. Our only benefit would be preventing the AI from having them.
Also that all cities can grow to size 3 faster. It's not essential at all though.

Neu can't grow now, switch from forest to something else omce we have MPE.
It needs 12 more shields. Either we switch to fish (or other) directly to finish it in 4 turns, or we play one more turn with 5s, next turn switch to rivered plain, and then to fish in two turns to finish it in 3 turns.
I think it should have priority for the fish, meaning we'd have to rearrange the serfs in that area.:)

Leowind
May 08, 2003, 09:45 PM
I, too, do not have much desire for Pyramids at this level. Almost creates more problems than they are worth. (Not that I would refuse it if the Aztecs happend to leave it laying around undefended ;) ). I would push for settling on the Aztec continent to gain a foothold there; will make it easier in the future to goad them into war and still keep our rep spotless (I had forgetten about that). The land to the West (left) certainly looks tempting as well.

I agree with not trading for techs that don't lead directly to our main objectives, but I'm not sure about delaying Mathematics just so we can get it from the AI and use those beakers for the next. That will happen either way, so I don't see the advantage of slowing down our science any.

Copper Caravan is a tough call. Doughnutia certainly needs the trade route, though routes this early rarely produce much turn to turn. On the other hand we just squeeked by getting Colossus and I really don't want to lose Cops. If someone can formulate a plan to ensure Cops, I would support using the 'van for a trade route.

I'll get to work on a new science poll soon.

TheViking
May 09, 2003, 05:12 AM
One thing I didn't mention earlier: Should we spend time/cash to build an additional elephant (I assume we'll soon have polytheism) in one of our core cities and/or one of the eastern cities ?

It seems to me that having an elephant in Neu (or near it) could be useful since this is a very important city, it will soon have MPE and probably Mike in the future.

TimTheEnchanter
May 09, 2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Leowind
I agree with not trading for techs that don't lead directly to our main objectives, but I'm not sure about delaying Mathematics just so we can get it from the AI and use those beakers for the next. That will happen either way, so I don't see the advantage of slowing down our science any.

Copper Caravan is a tough call. Doughnutia certainly needs the trade route, though routes this early rarely produce much turn to turn. Miscellaneous thoughts:
The one tech we might consider that isn't directly on our highest priority path (Astro/Mono, then Rep) would be seafaring. Perhaps not right away, but as we get closer to Republic. Navigation was the next highest priority and harbors are one of the best improvements for getting and maintaining Republic celebrations.

I also wouldn't purposely delay Mathematics unless we're going to get MPE the next turn. We're researching at something like 8 turns anyway...by the time we wait for MPE to finish, we could be well on our way to our next tech already, and there's no guarantee that anyone else has learned it yet. We've had our fun with gold, we should get back to beakers.

I don't think I would deliver an EF copper caravan to Doughnut. EF is a filler city, and doesn't have particularly good trade - it's main purpose is to be a camel factory so most of it's workers should be in the trees anyway. To tie up one of Dough's routes that way is probably not worth it, since we do have a couple wonders on our agenda already. Store it for either Mike or Cope's

funxus
May 09, 2003, 10:37 AM
About expanding: The western island id like a long wall, it seems, and maybe we should try to get one or two channels, depending on how what the island looks like, where we place cities, and if we might have any business in that direction.
I'd also like settling aztec continent. As Tim said, it's good to have a foothold for future wars, and if possible, maybe see if we can get a city on that continent a boat-trip from a city on our continent to speed up movement between them.:)

I see your point in not delivering the copper van, but how about getting one from Dou to Tenochtitlan? Are we allowed to rehome(IIRC we are) caravans?

Any objections on continuing on Sunday?

Leowind
May 09, 2003, 03:30 PM
I thought we were NOT allowed to rehome caravans. Somebody needs to look up the rules for this game and let us know (I don't have time; sorry :()

I like to idea of some canal cities on the island to the West, depending on what the other side of it looks like. Do we have enough settlers to found a city on the Western Island AND on the Aztec's continent? The second would need well-defended right from the start. Getting one boat-turn away from a city on our main continent would be excellent. Same for the Western Island.

Leowind
May 09, 2003, 06:46 PM
By a whopping 3-1 margin (literally; only 4 people voted :( ) Astronomy has won out over Monotheism as our #1 priority research goal. If available after Math is discovered it should be researched next. Next in line would be the Monotheism path (Polytheism needed first). Third in line should these be unavailable, or discovered :D, is Republic. Hope that gives enough option to get through the next round of playing.

funxus
May 10, 2003, 08:18 AM
Sorry, I see we aren't allowed to rehome:(
It probably is enough. The only thing is if we can trade most of these techs when we get MPE, which is very unlikely, and would cause our rate of discovery to skyrocket anyway.

naervod
May 10, 2003, 02:50 PM
From what Leowind and the poll said the science queue is:

Mathematics (Current)- Astronomy- Polytheism- Monotheism- Republic

I think this should be plenty for this turn if funxus plays his normal amount of turns. However, as Tim said, I would like to see Seafaring somewhere after Astronomy in the queue.

As for expansion, I would like to see if we can trade world maps with the Aztecs as that could let us see a significant portion of their continent. However, we should only do this if we are planning to be at peace with the Aztecs for a little while. Otherwise, I'd like so see some exploration on the landmass north of Igloria as the landmass west of our main island looks pretty small, but who knows?

funxus
May 11, 2003, 08:13 AM
I start to play now...

Duke of Marlbrough
May 12, 2003, 11:04 AM
Next Turn Thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53059)