View Full Version : Delay in building settlers

THEREALLYSTUPID
May 15, 2003, 05:27 AM
Whe I try to build a settler it sometimes takes some extra turns to complete it. Following the citty info screen it should build the next turn but it just doesnt.

This can go on for about 10 turns and happens often in the beginning of the game (I always start by building a settler), this really sets me back a lot!

There are enough people and food to support it b.t.w.

Is this a feature or a bug?

Plz help me out here.....

Gainy
May 15, 2003, 05:31 AM
I would really need a Screenshot to help. The only reason i can think of is in Civ 3 a settler takes up 2 citizens, instead of 1 in the other civ's(i know you said you knew this, but just incase)

Galcador
May 15, 2003, 05:33 AM
If the city is growing (has excess food), it must be at least size 3 to build a settler. The settler takes away 2 population points and at least one must remain. If the city isn't big enough, settler production will be delayed until it is.

If you want to abandon a size 2 city by building a settler out of it, you must make sure it has no excess food at the time the settler is due. Then you'll be prompted to confirm abandoning the city.

Renata
May 15, 2003, 05:57 AM
It's almost certainly the food thing. Build a warrior or two to explore before your first settler, and make sure the city will always reach at least size 3 on the turn the settler finishes. (The AI *constantly* build settlers in cities which are too small for them -- it's one of your biggest early advantages *not* to do that, so don't!)

Have fun,
Renata