View Full Version : What would you do if you won $10,000,000.00?

Mojotronica
Jun 10, 2003, 02:24 PM
Here's a classic question that, oddly, I haven't seen pop up on CFC yet...

What would you do if you won $10,000,000.00? (Lump sum -- but before taxes. Figure you get to keep about $6,000,000.00.)

Be as detailed as you like.

alamo
Jun 10, 2003, 02:30 PM
Keep it absolutely secret
Find a safe place to put it
Discretely settle all debts
Acquire a high security residence
Retire from job
Find appropriate investment vehicles for spare cash
Attend to any outstanding health issues
Retreat to residence to plan the next steps

Mojotronica
Jun 10, 2003, 02:32 PM
Some thoughts to consider --

Would you give any to charity? If so, which ones?

How much would you give to friends and family?

Would you work? If so, would you still work at the same job you work at now?

If not, how would you go about pursuing your dream job?

Where would you choose to live?

Ancient Grudge
Jun 10, 2003, 02:41 PM
First of all id convert it into pounds so i could use it england where i live :yeah:

I would give about 1,000,000.00 away to friends family and the majority of this to the N.S.P.C.C (national society for the prevation of cruelty to children).
Then id buy a house in New Zealand move there and life my life in luxury with the money in the bank earnign me enough money to live each year:)

Ohwell
Jun 10, 2003, 02:42 PM
I'd give half to respectable charities, none to my family, I'd work part time at some relaxing job, and I'd live in an Italian estate.

Perfection
Jun 10, 2003, 02:48 PM
Okay, here's the breakdown

$4,000,000-Taxes
$3,000,000-Investements
$1,000,000 Entertainment
$750,000-Residence
$750,000-education (I'm gettin' me a quadruple Phd!)
$200,000-Humvee
$125,000-Supercomputer (Sim City 4)
$50,000-New Server for CFC
And I'd put the last $125,000 in shiny pennies!

cgannon64
Jun 10, 2003, 03:00 PM
First of all I'd give a load of it to charity - like a million or so. Then I would put another million in the bank to build up over the years. That leaves like $4 million. A good amount, like a couple hundred thousand, would go to a nice house somewhere here in the city. I'd give another bunch of money to my brother and sister, for college, and put a little more in the bank, for my college. That leaves like $2 million, I'd say. I'd spend alot on simply getting better versions of what I already have - clothes, video games, television, computer, furniture, CDs, etc. I'd probably buy a new car for the family. I'd go see concerts. I would invest some of it, getting the best people possible. That money could be huge if the market goes big in the next decade or so. As for the rest, I'd put whatever is left in the bank. There would probably be about $1.5 million in the bank. That could buy whatever I need when I'm an adult, and it will make alot through interest...

napoleon526
Jun 10, 2003, 03:34 PM
Two chicks at the same time. :D

cgannon64
Jun 10, 2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by napoleon526
Two chicks at the same time. :D

:lol: "Quick, turn on Channel 5!"

Great movie. :goodjob:

nixon
Jun 10, 2003, 03:41 PM
Make sure me and my family didn't need anything, put the rest in the bank, then just live life decently and modestly, and above all, normally. That's the kind of life I want.

John Bull
Jun 10, 2003, 03:43 PM
Noone can reasonably spend 10'000'000 ($6'000'000ish) so I'd give about 4'000'000 to charities such as the NCDL (from where I got one of my dogs:)), CFC (if it's a registered charity) and the political party I support. With the rest I would not buy a new house but instead all the properties which surround my existing house. i'd then knock them down, extend my house and build horse stables, a huge indoor swimming pool, tennis courts, a seperate pulling pad / party house / brewery, and possibly a motor racing track. i'd live in relative luxury, giving lots to my friends, family and gold-diggers, and taking regular holidays to interesting places like Campania and Crete. I'd also buy a modest flat in Athens. :p

Bifrost
Jun 10, 2003, 03:49 PM
10.000 $ - to get more experienced in sex ( though, "more", sounds too pathetic.... :D)
one half of the rest - cure for HIV researches
another half - to improve the education system :)

Wolfe Tone
Jun 10, 2003, 04:15 PM
Convert into pounds, maybe a few euros. After which by a house and staff, a car, a jet and one hell of a computer setup.

anonymous4401
Jun 10, 2003, 04:36 PM
Buy a senator or two. Maybe three. How much do senators go for nowadays? Are they cheaper than congressmen?

Seriously, I would give 90% to missionary work and real charities. The ones that rely on volunteers happy to actually go out there and help people, not to show off or take your money. But since they require so little funding, theoretically, I could support a lot of them. Also, I'd scrap the whole federal 'education' that has proved itself to not work so many times by setting up my own free schools that are not merely daycares for teenagers. I'd probably get some clout and argue for slashing many unneccesary government programs, make sure welfare goes to people who really need it, and set up a vigilante anti-drug force to roam the streets of the big city. I suppose a few thousand will be left for myself, which will go to my new super-computer on which I'll load 12-hour scenarios in under a minute, and maybe bribe Thunderfall to raise my postcount by 5000. :)

Sh3kel
Jun 10, 2003, 04:58 PM
10 million USD?
In Israel, there are no taxes on lottery prizes (although every bus ride is a lottery you DONT wanna win) so that'll be a 10 million lump sum. Neat.

10% goes to charities, but I don't give away money. 10 million is a lot, so everyone figures embezzling a thousand here and a thousand there won't be noticed and your 10 million end up being turned into more money for the bureaucrats not necessary to keep the foundation up. You don't give money - you give stuff. I'd go to a hospital in the southern part of the country and offer to buy a brand new ICU unit or anything else that 1 million dollars buy. But I don't give money - I give stuff.

As for family - I reckon everyone will get enough to pay off the mortgage and a few hunded thousand shekels (local currency) for their use, overall i'll be willing to put up 1.5 million USD for family related spending.

The remaining 7.5 million will be divided like so-
1.5 million will be used to purchase several plots or vast tracts of land - real estate bussiness is the only surefire investment.

Of the remaining 6 million, 5 million will be put in a separate bank account, which will be used to live off the interests.

The million dollars i've got left is what I'm willing to spend - new, slightly better constructed and private house (cottage or possibly a villa), new car, better computer setup and academic spending.
I'm not going to go into a shopping craze just because I can afford it. Nouveau Riches type people make me go grrr.

china444
Jun 10, 2003, 06:13 PM
Spend it. :p

No, i would use it for college and use the rest for gambling and the stock market.

And i would pay off my teachers for good grades

America444
Jun 10, 2003, 06:17 PM
id put it in the bank and use it for college and spend some of it

anonymous4401
Jun 10, 2003, 06:17 PM
And i would pay off my teachers for good grades
Until you come to me, who you cannot pay off because hypothetically I too have won ten million dollars!

Also, there are people who do not value money over integrity. If you wish to live a shallow, meaningless, materialistic life, avoid these people. Their righteousness and charity may be contagious.

china444
Jun 10, 2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by anonymous4401

Until you come to me, who you cannot pay off because hypothetically I too have won ten million dollars!

Also, there are people who do not value money over integrity. If you wish to live a shallow, meaningless, materialistic life, ignore these people. Their righteousness and charity may be contagious.

No its if I won 10 million. Key word I. Fool.

anonymous4401
Jun 10, 2003, 06:22 PM
No its if I won 10 million. Key word I. Fool
Have you completely disregarded the second half of my post as well as my intelligence in three sentences?

MummyMan
Jun 10, 2003, 06:22 PM
SOOO easy to answer for me. I would undoubtedly buy one of the islands in the Seychelles chain (east of Madagascar) for myself and friends. I'd keep half just for me and let my friends live an easy life on the island if they wanted.

Bose
Jun 10, 2003, 06:23 PM
I would spend the rest of my life waking up with a hangover and deciding the next place i would play golf...

amadeus
Jun 10, 2003, 09:23 PM
Nuts to the charities, I'm putting my money in mutual funds and live off the interest. I'll never have to work a day in my life and I'll probably still live better than 90 percent of the American population.

stormbind
Jun 10, 2003, 09:32 PM
This may sound incredibly stupid to some of you, but I would use it (yup, all of it) to start a huge charity that has minimal running costs and use the wealth to do some good in the world.

Probably start by acquiring a shipping company to slash the cost of sending aid to wherever it has to go.

As many are probably aware, most charities take a massive cut (sometimes 40% or maybe more?) from donations to pay for very unacceptable administration costs - something I would publish in great detail with the aim of bringing a competitive edge to the sleazy trade.

SirJethro
Jun 10, 2003, 09:34 PM
I'd let the government waste 1/3rd of it and use the rest to live on between the ages of 70 and 90.

jack merchant
Jun 10, 2003, 09:39 PM
I'd die of liver poisoning before having the chance to truly think of what I was going to do with it

Grille
Jun 11, 2003, 03:24 AM
10,000,000?
:hmm:
I think I'd spend an essential part of the sum on chicks, fast cars and bars.

:D

Then, I'd waste the remaining money for some pretty much useless crap.

Stapel
Jun 11, 2003, 03:50 AM
Party!

Serious: I would start my own company and try to create profitable companies in several under developed countries.

I am convinced this is the way to help poor economies!

ozscott75
Jun 11, 2003, 04:10 AM
What ever I damned well wanted too.

Dishwaters
Jun 11, 2003, 04:15 AM
I'd buy half a Damien Duff to keep at Blackburn. Probably his left half.

John-LP
Jun 11, 2003, 04:47 AM
Me and my $10,000,000:

After taxes ($6 million left):

Hand in my two week notice (Maybe, I just quit)
$3,000,000 to my parents (or half of what I have)
my Mom and Stepfather, my real Dad can bite me
$100,000 property and home
$30,000 Car
$16,000 Motorcycle
$80,000 Buy the Store across the street which is for sale
$200,000 to buy the property next door which is also for sale
$50,000 into the Stock Market (my luck it crashes next day)
$500,000 into bonds (double the money!)
$26,000 to furnish my home, clothes, etc

I might offer Metallica all six million to Metallica to stop coming out with these horrible albums...

Nibbe
Jun 11, 2003, 06:45 AM
Start a gerilla and take over first sweden, the scandinavia, then Europe, then the whole world... Mwohahahahahaha :king:

Turner
Jun 11, 2003, 07:11 AM
Buy a house, pay off by debts, my car, buy another car. That would take about, say, a quarter million or so. Give some to family members, maybe another quarter million or so all told. In the end I'd have at least 9 mil saved up. Take that nine mil, quit my job, and play the market. Actually, what I would be tempted to do is hire my mother as a financial advisor. Both of my parents are pretty shrewd investors. I would give her a couple of mil and take a couple of mil, and see how we each do. Save a couple of mil for a rainy day.

Suppersalmon
Jun 11, 2003, 08:18 AM
convert it to pounds
buy a big house a fast car
by some shares in Charlton and a good season ticket seat
by a holiday home in France

WildFire
Jun 11, 2003, 08:19 AM
Expand my current house, so that my room would be two floors with an elevator ;)

Than, buy the best computer(s) out on the market and also a T3 (or T1 if they wouldnt let me) line so that gaming would be awesome. Give some money to my school since it is like the poorest in the area and cant afford anything (amazingly, I'm on one of their crappy PC's now).

Buy a black lab thats about a year old. Hire a butler. Get a very cool car. And if I have some left, invest it so I never have to work :D

polymath
Jun 11, 2003, 08:38 AM
So let's say 5 million of our English pounds.

I'd give the job a bit of time so the company could replace me...otherwise they'd be screwed.

2 million gets banked, I'm assuming minimum 10% interest, so that leaves me at least 200,000 a year for life, plus the lump some still left if I really need a bit more, which I doubt I would.

1.5 million goes on property - I'd need three - in Manchester and two other undetermined spots - Maui perhaps, the Alps perhaps.

.5 million goes on flash cash, spending money, a car, a computer set up, all the fancy stuff you really need when you get rich. You know what I mean.

.5 mill is also banked - 50,000 p.a. to charity.

.5 mill to close relatives - just to spread the happiness: 50,000 each to ten people, enough to get themselves something very nice.

Then with the interest kicking in, I'd have to get through 4,000 a week so I'd probably take a lot of holidays.

Unregister
Jun 11, 2003, 09:00 AM
buy this site and become the super admin and ban everybody.

Eli
Jun 11, 2003, 09:12 AM
10 million is not enough for me to fulfil my plans, but I wont say no. :)

Yoda Power
Jun 11, 2003, 09:38 AM
Travel all over the world, then buy a Greek island and settle there. Use rest of the money to educate and stabilize Africa, but also make them see me as a god, then I would replan my next steps.

Smaasnekje
Jun 11, 2003, 11:48 AM
Well, I would like to get the education through, but now i'd just use the "pay yourself into Yale" principle..

Then I'd finance a crime syindicate..

RoddyVR
Jun 11, 2003, 04:42 PM
$10 mil.

$5 mil to taxes (i'm a pessimist, and its better to have more then you thought, then less then you thought)

$2 mil - give to my work (a charitable organization)
$0.5 mil - to buy a US citizenship (it might cost less)
$0.5 mil - buy a house (will proly cost more, left over from citizenship will cover though)
$1 mil - for my and my sister's educations and to put away for my nephew's education (he's 1.5 year old right now)
$1 mil - i'd split between my parents. they can do with it as they wish.

the house would be big enough to rent some of it out. that would pay for yearly taxes and my food/clothes while i'm in school.

$10 mil realy isnt that much. i'd wanna give my parent 1 mil each. the bigger the house the better so it realy should be a mil for itself.
i dont need a harvard education, but MIT is proly top of my list.

now if the post was for $100 mil, then that would be another story.

Zcylen
Jun 11, 2003, 04:58 PM
I'll keep all the money! is mine, my own

I'd buy an island in the caribean sea and hire only cute girls :love:

Gainy
Jun 11, 2003, 05:31 PM
Firstly id pay for Broadband to come to my home town of Lanark.
Then get the fastest internet connection possible.
Buy a really fast fandabydosseee computer.
Buy alot of clothes/shoes.
Buy a house in any part of Hawaii.
Pay off any bills that my parents have, and get em stuff that they want.
Give about 1 million to the charity that my mum works for.
Put the rest in the bank to accumulate tax-free intrest :cool:

:)

ferenginar
Jun 12, 2003, 07:48 AM
I would donate the money to myself as a charitable gift and thereby avoid paying any taxes on it.

Transfer it through half a dozen offshore accounts and then convert it to Turkish Lira so that I had TRL 14,446,900,000,000.00
then I would spend it all on a twinky having lost the balance in currency transfer and hyperinflation.

John-LP
Jun 12, 2003, 08:02 AM
Hmm, I might reconsider my previous statements....

I think maybe I`d invest in the military industrial complex since we look to be going to war for every year Bush is President...