View Full Version : Civ3Ext

Muchembled
Jun 27, 2003, 06:23 PM
For Civ3 1.29f and PTW 1.27f only.
Concerning C3C, there's no planned version for the moment.

Here is a description of this utility, from the readme :

"Civ3Ext is a patch which adds a few extensions for Civ3 1.29f and PTW 1.27f, which is possible by accessing the memory space of the game. Civ3Ext won't modify any application file. In this version, there are these extensions :
- food/shields/beakers cascade
- fast localization of cities which are going to riot or have just gained a citizen
- no more limit for units (4096)
- evolving barbarians (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=1202210#post1202210)
- corruption (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=1518967#post1518967)
- hall of fame"

About the first extension, Qitai had the same idea in the following topic : Removed Wasted Food/Shield on growth/Production Feature (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?threadid=56256)

download : Civ3Ext 1.12 (http://alainmuchembled.free.fr/Civ3/Civ3Ext.zip)

Muchembled
Jun 29, 2003, 09:07 PM
New version. Civ3Ext 1.01 :
- No more limits for cities & units.
- (bug) Food can't be accumulated any more.
- The list is automatically hidden when you close PTW.
- Player number auto-detected (only tested with single, hotseat and PBEM games).
- Cascading food is no longer required to list cities which have just gained a citizen.

Roland Johansen
Jun 30, 2003, 01:39 PM
Thank you for creating this utility. I've downloaded it and I'm using it right now. It works just as it should and I've the European version of PTW 1.21f. It didn't work with version 1.14f of PTW.

There are still a few questions I have:
-what was this bug you were talking about in thee previous version? (I downloaded that first and didn't notice it)
-How long may the list you get in the beginning of the turn get? Is there a limit?
-If you could make a similar mod for the technology as for the shields and food in cities, I would appreciate that very much. Technology points are also lost, just like the shields and the food. But this is far less annoying because it is only one slider which you have to move to educe the losses, so far less micromanagement.

Thank you again for creating and sharing this utility.

Edit: Sorry another question: Will you create a new version when Conquests is finished.

Gramphos
Jun 30, 2003, 02:01 PM
Are the things optiional? I.e if you only want to get rid of the limits Is that possible?

Muchembled
Jun 30, 2003, 04:48 PM
Thank you for creating this utility. I've downloaded it and I'm using it right now. It works just as it should and I've the European version of PTW 1.21f.
:)

-what was this bug you were talking about in thee previous version? (I downloaded that first and didn't notice it)
It is difficult to notice. You must have a city which can complete more than its food box in one turn. For example, if a city has 3 citizens, a granary, 14 food/turn and 18 food in its box, it should have 20 food in its box instead of 22.
In fact, I don't know if is annoying to accumulate this "extra-extra" food since all is lost when you reach a limit (aqueduc or hospital), but now, the rule is exactly the same as for the shields.

-How long may the list you get in the beginning of the turn get? Is there a limit?
The limit is such that it won't recover the mini-map. If there are more cities, there will be a scroll bar.

-If you could make a similar mod for the technology as for the shields and food in cities, I would appreciate that very much. Technology points are also lost, just like the shields and the food. But this is far less annoying because it is only one slider which you have to move to educe the losses, so far less micromanagement.
It was planned ;)

Will you create a new version when Conquests is finished.
First, I will need Conquests. I can't answer for the moment.

Are the things optiional? I.e if you only want to get rid of the limits Is that possible?
Yes. Uncheck what you don't want in the menu.

Roland Johansen
Jun 30, 2003, 04:54 PM
Thank you for the very clear answers :goodjob:

Gramphos
Jul 02, 2003, 03:23 PM
Do you have any plans for posting this on Apolyton?

Muchembled
Jul 04, 2003, 10:06 PM
- fast localization of cities which are going to riot or have just gained a citizen
I noticed it doesn't work with multiplayer games other than PBEM and hotseat. The other extensions work.
I wonder if it is useful to fix Civ3Ext so that it detects each new turn in these games.

Do you have any plans for posting this on Apolyton ?
Why not. I posted it in and I hope it's ok.

Roland Johansen
Jul 05, 2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Muchembled

I noticed it doesn't work with multiplayer games other than PBEM and hotseat. The other extensions work.
I wonder if it is useful to fix Civ3Ext so that it detects each new turn in these games.

I'm playing a multiplayer (LAN) simultaneus move game with a friend of mine. I would like to use these functions of your utility in this game and so would this friend of mine. So if you're able to make it work in these kinds of multiplayer games, we would appreciate it very much. You don't get as many messages in simultaneus move game as in a normal game. So maybe it is more difficult to get the information to make this utility work (I have no idea how your utility works, I'm just a happy user). Good luck, if you're going to try it.

Hurricane
Jul 08, 2003, 05:32 AM
Any chance you could make a civ3 v1.29 compatible version. :groucho:

I would love to have a riot pop-up. :goodjob:

Grille
Jul 09, 2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Hurricane
Any chance you could make a civ3 v1.29 compatible version. :groucho:

I would love to have a riot pop-up. :goodjob:

A vanilla version would be great indeed!
So if there's a rainy day and you feel bored... :D ;)

Bretwalda
Jul 15, 2003, 05:19 AM
Great tool and in one file that does not need installing - awesome! Good Work!

Just 1 question, it is still no clear for me (might be my English):

I read the readme and also this topic: does all civ (AI civs, too) get the food/shield cascade, or is it just the human player that is helped? So is it a general "change in rules" or just a player helping tool?
I would appreciate the answer from anyone who knows...

Muchembled
Jul 15, 2003, 12:17 PM
Just 1 question, it is still no clear for me (might be my English):

I read the readme and also this topic: does all civ (AI civs, too) get the food/shield cascade, or is it just the human player that is helped? So is it a general "change in rules" or just a player helping tool?
I would appreciate the answer from anyone who knows...
Answer in the readme :
"5. (Rule) food & shields cascade

Affects : all the civs that are processed by your PTW"
-> in a solo/hotseat game, it affects all the civs in the game : you and the AI
-> in a PBEM : it affects your civ and all the AI which play just after you (see "7. About cheating" in the readme)
-> in the other games (turn based / turnless / simultaneous MP) : for the humans, it affects only you, and for the AI, I don't have a clear idea (see "7. About cheating" in the readme).

Apart from that, I must say that the next version will be delayed.
I am very busy, the MP riot pop-up (read post #9) isn't easy, and for the beakers, I must be careful not to change anything because this may affects diplomacy (trading).

Bretwalda
Jul 15, 2003, 12:35 PM
Thank you for the fast answer! I hope I will utilize the cascade better than the AI ;)

Answer in the readme :
"5. (Rule) food & shields cascade

Affects : all the civs that are processed by your PTW"
-> in a solo/hotseat game, it affects all the civs in the game : you and the AI
-> in a PBEM : it affects your civ and all the AI which play just after you (see "7. About cheating" in the readme)
-> in the other games (turn based / turnless / simultaneous MP) : for the humans, it affects only you, and for the AI, I don't have a clear idea (see "7. About cheating" in the readme).

Apart from that, I must say that the next version will be delayed.
I am very busy, the MP riot pop-up (read post #9) isn't easy, and for the breakers, I must be careful not to change anything because this may affects diplomacy (trading).

Muchembled
Jul 29, 2003, 09:30 PM
New version. Civ3Ext 1.02 :
- Beakers cascade (science).
- Preferences are saved.

Beakers : This option cascades the excess beakers for the next technology. Mind the minimum and maximum numbers of research turns. The surplus is always strictly lower than what you spent for the last turn, and it is even always null if you took advantage of the maximum research time.
Known bugs :
- beakers aren't cascaded immediately : the excess isn't visible when you choose the next technology
- there is a case where beakers aren't cascaded, but I don't know when

Muchembled
Aug 05, 2003, 07:02 AM
A player had problems with the cities/units patch. Here is his message :

I was playing when I suddenly realized that worker hasn't the "build railroad" option. :confused: I look everywhere and I notice that every resource I owned just disappeared!!! F***, I didn't change anything! That's it. I build a city and then the resources come back.

Later, my turn ends, and i see that I have to wait... and wait... finally, when my next turn begins, about a half of my cities (I had more than 200) ended with "We love the king day" and a lot of them are in civil disorder.

I wondered that the cause were the missing resources, but the resources were there. I suppose that:
Before end of turn: resources all right.
During turn transition: resources disappeared.
Next turn: resources re-appeared.He sent me a savegame of the "next" turn (1766 AD) so I couldn't notice the disappearance of the resources but I can add :
- There are 515 cities in 1766 AD. His two latest cities were built in 1764 AD (the one of his message) and 1760 AD.
- Isolated cities (no road/railroad), and just barracks, a hydro plant and a research lab from wonders) had all the resources as if they weren't isolated.

We suppose my patch is responsible of those bugs so I wonder if other players had problems exceeding this limit.

durfal
Aug 09, 2003, 01:03 PM
I love the utility, but after downloading the 1.27 patch for PTW it doesn't work anymore.
Are you planning to make a version for this patch also?

Muchembled
Aug 09, 2003, 02:23 PM
Yes, I am working on it ;)

Muchembled
Aug 11, 2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by durfal
I love the utility, but after downloading the 1.27 patch for PTW it doesn't work anymore.
Are you planning to make a version for this patch also?
Done.

08/11/2003 : Civ3Ext 1.03 (http://alainmuchembled.free.fr/Civ3/Civ3Ext.zip)
- Updated for PTW 1.27f.

durfal
Aug 11, 2003, 10:48 AM
Great thanks:)
I download it immediatly

Gramphos
Aug 13, 2003, 04:47 PM
Would it be possible for you to add a feature for playing a video when the human player is building a certain building (Or configure it to possible send a message to another all or issue a command with the building ID of all new constructed buildings by the human player)?

Muchembled
Aug 16, 2003, 08:33 PM
Sorry, but I don't understand exactly what you suggest.
Would it be only a graphical extension or does it bring something for gameplay ?
My program already does something when shields are added to the current production and when it is completed, so I can forward the event...

snsfro
Aug 16, 2003, 10:20 PM
I can only get this to work in the game, not the editor. I am making a huge 362x362 World map with cities and I can't build anymore!!! I need help! The city build function just vanishes after the 512 mark!

Muchembled
Aug 28, 2003, 09:45 PM
08/29/2003 : Civ3Ext 1.04

A new extension (well, for modders for the moments) : evolving barbarians, as in Civ2. The Functional Barbarians (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60957) topic gave me the idea :scan:
Triggering events are either the turn number or the advances which have been discovered by the "world".
More info in the readme.

And a bugfix for Roland Johansen : the riot list in MP games ;)

Roland Johansen
Aug 29, 2003, 02:25 PM

And a bugfix for Roland Johansen : the riot list in MP games ;)

You mean that I can now use the utility to warn me and my opponents in for instance LAN-games that a city will riot next turn and that a city has grown! [dance]

That's great. You're the best Muchembled. :goodjob:

dreadknought
Sep 02, 2003, 05:50 PM
Hi, Great utility can this work with the double your pleasure mod and if so, how......

Kuratko
Sep 03, 2003, 08:32 AM
A new extension (well, for modders for the moments) : evolving barbarians, as in Civ2.

Could you, please, give an example for the registry settings? How to set the trigger event?

Otherwise thanks for great util...

Kuratko

Muchembled
Sep 03, 2003, 03:09 PM
ok, let's go for a stupid example :D

As first barbarians : default units.
1st evolution : mech infantry, modern tank & a battleship when the world switches to middle age :crazyeye:
2nd : still a mech infantry but an ICBM and a submarine from turn 400, or before if rocketery is discovered

First barbarians can be set either in the .bix or through the registry settings, by choosing turn = 0 and no tech for the prerequisites.

The .reg is attached to this post and relies on the .bix settings for the first units.

anarres
Sep 04, 2003, 06:55 AM
This looks amazing! Where did you get the memory offsets to work with? I have been trying and failing for a while to work out city and tile offsets - if you have any great insight or techniques I would be very grateful. :)

I am going to see if I can convince my PBEM buddies to give this a go with me. Thanks again!

Qitai
Sep 17, 2003, 01:10 PM
Just tried to use this, but realize this is only for PTW. Any chance you can support vanilla civ3 1,29?

durfal
Sep 20, 2003, 04:50 PM
I use your wonderful utility but I encountered a problem. I don't know if it is a bug but after building my 93th city on a huge map with 25 civs and almost every spot of land covered by civs in the year 1590 the game keeps crashing. There must be a 1000 cities I estimate. It crashes immediatly when I build the 94th city in the same turn. Or if I skip to build that one and play on, it crashes on the automatic savegame at the end of the turn. Also if I try to save it after building city 93 the game crashes. It seems that I can't build more than 92 cities during the game or it is the total of cities by all civs but I don't have a clue how much there are at this turn. (estimate 1000)
Do you have an idea what it can be?

Gramphos
Sep 21, 2003, 01:03 AM
Sorry, but I don't understand exactly what you suggest.
Would it be only a graphical extension or does it bring something for gameplay ?
My program already does something when shields are added to the current production and when it is completed, so I can forward the event...
I was thinking in the way of having wonder movies. Myabe by being able to configure your tool to send a message to a specific tool or issue a command when the uilding is completed...

(Of cource it would be even better if you could capture when the ingame wondersplasj is closed as well.. ;)

locomuchacho
Oct 11, 2003, 06:55 AM
hi muchembled,

sounds nice what your program can do.

but as some people asked before, is it a problem to create a vanilla 1.29 version???

have a nice day!

loco

sprnv8
Oct 23, 2003, 02:46 PM

Done.

08/11/2003 :
- Updated for PTW 1.27f.

I am confused, where is this 1.27f?

I have looked at Civ3.com and can't find it.
Is there a 1.27f patch or is this a mistake?

Roland Johansen
Oct 23, 2003, 05:09 PM
This great fansite has a special download section for patches. It is here (http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3patches.shtml) . Pick the one that belongs to your country. This is a patch for PTW not for vanilla CivIII.

sprnv8
Oct 23, 2003, 06:35 PM
How come the offical site of Civilization III, PTW, and C3C doesn't have it?

Grille
Oct 23, 2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by sprnv8
How come the offical site of Civilization III, PTW, and C3C doesn't have it?

:hmm:
The official civ3 site actually does have d/l links...

Maybe you mean a not-so-official site?

sprnv8
Oct 24, 2003, 05:03 AM
I can go and get the other patches at civ3.com (this is the offical site right?)

No matter thou, I got the lastest patch.
Thanks to all who directed me to the patch.

snsfro
Oct 24, 2003, 06:30 PM
Does this also give unlimited (more than 512) city placement in the Civ3 editor?

anarres
Oct 24, 2003, 06:32 PM
The 512 cities limit is hardcoded in the the program, and can not be changed.

jeannie
Oct 29, 2003, 04:20 PM
This utility allowed me to have more than 512 cities in PTW, but when my own civilization has more than 512 cities, the Domestic Advisor screen accessed with the 'F1' key always kills PTW. And I can't access the Advisors from the Advisor icon without PTW dying. I haven't tried any of the other adviors that would include a list of cities, such as the Cultural Advisor (F5 key). But the 'show locations' (Ctrl+Shift+L) DOES list all the cities, even those above the initial 512.

D_Robnett
Nov 08, 2003, 07:19 PM
I am reading thriug your replies and it seems no else seems to have my problem. I try to run the program and it asks for a password. Is there some thing I am missing or could youn post this password if it is not confidential. I shall go back and try to get the patch to run. Thanx

durfal
Nov 14, 2003, 11:49 PM
I hope you're gonna update your program to C3C.
I'm playing C3C and have bumped on the 512 city limmit already two times and it frustated me a lot. I'm playing on smaller maps with lesser civs now to compensate.
But hopefully soon I can play on Huge maps with 31 civs again!!

anarres
Nov 15, 2003, 06:53 AM
I thought they increased the max number of cities in C3C... :confused:

aeldrik
Nov 20, 2003, 01:43 AM
Sounds like the great tool I have been waiting for... especially getting rid of thŪs ridiculous city limit, which has been anoying me in a lot of scenarios....
Hope a conquest version of the tool will come, great work already...
How is the compatibility, playing in MP with others you don't have it installed?

Muchembled
Jan 03, 2004, 10:46 AM
New version. Civ3Ext 1.10 :
- Civ3 1.29f version.
- Many internal changes.
- (bug) Beakers cascade in multiplayer games.

Roland Johansen
Jan 03, 2004, 04:41 PM
The people who don't have any of the expansion packs will love this :goodjob: , but will you also create a version for the people who have all the expansion packs? Will you create a version for Conquests? Please! :D

Does a person who doesn't understand anything of these internal changes you made (like me) notice any differences ingame of this new version?

Thank you for your continuing work on this utility :thanx:

Muchembled
Jan 03, 2004, 04:55 PM
Does a person who doesn't understand anything of these internal changes you made (like me) notice any differences ingame of this new version?
:D
In fact, these changes are necessary if I want to add new features.
And I always wonder if I should tell that Civ3Ext now stores the prefs in the savegame (except for the D/G list)...
Now, Civ3Ext's behaviour is better.

Apart from that, there is only the bugfix.

I see I must say something about C3C. In fact, from what I've read, C3C doesn't interest me and I won't buy it.
If I can borrow it and if I have time, I'll certainly make a C3C version to promote food/shields/beakers cascade.

Roland Johansen
Jan 03, 2004, 07:11 PM
Thank you for the explanation. I notice that it is one version for Civ3 vanilla and Civ3 PTW. Could it possibly also work for Civ3 Conquests?

I see I must say something about C3C. In fact, from what I've read, C3C doesn't interest me and I won't buy it.
If I can borrow it and if I have time, I'll certainly make a C3C version to promote food/shields/beakers cascade.

What a pity. You're probably a player who likes the main game (not very much added to this part of the game) and doesn't play a lot of scenario's (although you created a utility that changes the game). For me the nicest parts added to the game (in Conquests) are the parts that give a (slight) boost to gameplay like lethal bombard for bombers vs AA-guns on land and sea units. Other gameplay issues I like are attacking specific units inside a stack for units like submarines and different governments that couldn't be created using the editor in a previous version of the game. I like to mod the game into (what I consider) a better game and such editor flags are going to help me do that. But you probably read some info on the game and decided that the added items to the game don't add a lot of gameplay. :(

Is there a chance that your utility might already work with Conquests (as it works with both vanilla Civ3 and PTW)? I haven't installed Conquests yet as I'm still finishing a PTW game and don't want to risk any game changes. So I can't test your utility with Conquests myself. I'll test it myself after I've finished this game.

Thank you again for sharing this utility with the Civ3 community.

Muchembled
Jan 03, 2004, 07:39 PM
Is there a chance that your utility might already work with Conquests (as it works with both vanilla Civ3 and PTW)?No it's impossible, and Civ3Ext won't even try because C3C would crash immediately.
Besides, the version for PTW is for PTW 1.27f only. It wouldn't work with a previous patch.

Note that if you try to use Civ3Ext.PTW.exe for C3C, you won't be informed that Civ3Ext don't patch it, since it only tries to detect PTW.
For PTW 1.21f, it would be different : Civ3Ext.PTW.exe would detect PTW but would inform that the executable doesn't match.

Roland Johansen
Jan 04, 2004, 12:24 PM
Thank you for the explanation. I hadn't noticed that there are two executibles in your utility now. So now it makes a lot more sense to me that it won't work for Conquests.

Roland Johansen
Jan 04, 2004, 05:18 PM
I ran into a little problem with your new version.

I continued a game that I played using the previous version of your utility and when I tried to upgrade a unit Civ3 PTW 1.27f crashed to the desktop (Windows XP).

I restarted the game a few times with older savegames and tried to upgrade a different unit, with the same results. Then I restarted again and clicked next turn. I got the usual nice overview of the cities that had grown and now I can again upgrade my units again without problems. So my problems are gone, but I still wanted to report this.

Any idea as to why this happened? It is probably only a problem when you switch between versions while continuing the same game. Civ III has never crashed before so I really think it has something to do with switching between versions of your utility.

Muchembled
Jan 05, 2004, 02:35 AM
I could upgrade units without any problem, so if you can reproduce the crash with a particular savegame, you should be more precise and send me the save.
There souldn't be any problem when you switch between versions while continuing the same game.

Roland Johansen
Jan 05, 2004, 03:32 PM
I tried to reproduce the error using the editor in debug mode: create game with utility active and play a few turns and save. Exit game, exit utility. Then restart game and restart utility. Give myself enough money and technologies to upgrade and a unit that is upgradeble and upgrade it the same turn. No problem.

So I can't be sure what went wrong with my old game. I can't reproduce it.

But I can give you my savegame. If you start it and upgrade a unit in the same turn (don't click next turn) then the game will crash to the desktop. You'll need to loan some money from India to be able to upgrade (not cheap, got a bad reputation when some civ I was trading with got destroyed) and upgradeble units in cities with barracks are in the northern most island. If you go to the next turn, it will be no problem to upgrade units. The game won't crash.

If you would play a few more turns, exit the game and utility again and restart from this new savegame, the same problems will arise.

I can't be sure that it has something to do with your utility, but it is the first time in 1 1/2 years of playing Civ3 that the game crashed.

Note that it is a modded game, but the changes are only rule changes in the .bix file (I tried to make the game more difficult) and it didn't crash before and I can't reproduce it in debug mode of the editor.

I suspect this strange behaviour of this game will remain a mystery and it isn't that bad as I can work around the crashing of the game by not upgrading the turn I start the game.

Some other observations: With the huge modern age civs in this game of mine, we might be above the maximum number of units. Maybe that can give problems when I just loaded the game.

The savegame. (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/Hannibal_of_the_Carthaginians,_1560_AD.SAV)

Maybe I gave to much detail here, but you asked for it.;) Don't feel obligated to look into it. It might have nothing to do with your utility.

Roland Johansen
Jan 05, 2004, 03:57 PM
If I start the utility before I load the game then there are no problems. Sorry. Just ignore me in the future.

Muchembled
Jan 06, 2004, 02:58 AM
If I start the utility before I load the game then there are no problems. Sorry. Just ignore me in the future.Yes.
The game crashes if it can't upgrade a unit because there are too many units (approximately 5410 :crazyeye: ). Of course, it happens only if the limit has been exceeded, but as long as there too many units, you need this utility to continue to play the game.
Civ3Ext is active if the "exit" command is grayed.

goethe
Jan 06, 2004, 03:10 AM
Hi Muchembled, I can't open the zip-file. Always I become error message like "Unexpected end of file". Must I rename the file or what?? :confused:

goethe
Jan 06, 2004, 03:31 AM
Hurra, I repeated the download a few times and now it works.:)

Roland Johansen
Jan 06, 2004, 01:39 PM
Yes.
The game crashes if it can't upgrade a unit because there are too many units (approximately 5410 :crazyeye: ). Of course, it happens only if the limit has been exceeded, but as long as there too many units, you need this utility to continue to play the game.
Civ3Ext is active if the "exit" command is grayed.

Several of my enemies are in the modern age, their land is wel developed and it is an archipelago game. The AI tends to build a lot of units in such a game before it will use them against an enemy on another island. Also rank corruption is significantly reduced in my mod causing the AI to have more funds to build and maintain units.

I will have a look at their armies when I have build the intelligence agency. It looks like I'm in for a lot of fighting.

Thank you for the explanation as to why the utility has to be active to upgrade units in my game.

Muchembled
Jan 15, 2004, 03:18 PM
New version. Civ3Ext 1.11 :
- Corruption.

"This extension allows you to play with a customized model of corruption, and it has been designed so that programmers can implement new ones. It should help to experiment new formulas and solve the current bugs.
There are currently 3 models :
- Civ3/PTW : It reproduces exactly the behaviour of Civ3/PTW.
- C3C_112 : this one is based on what I have read about this patch, because I don't own C3C.
- Example 1 : This is an example of how to fix all bugs, ie rank sharing and separate rank lists.

For programmers :
You only have to modify Corruption.cpp and rebuild the application. The 'CorCtxt' class provides all the information you need. You can add a new method there and reference it with a new entry in the 'models' structure."

planetfall
Jan 15, 2004, 04:41 PM
How about some screen shots or clearer description of what you
utility will offer?

Personally I don't install to see what X utility will do. I need to see image of what to expect and then description. If it seems like a value add, then will try. Otherwise, it's too much.

== PF

planetfall
Jan 15, 2004, 04:42 PM
Quick followup. How is your utility different from using Editor to change game parameters?

== pf

Muchembled
Jan 15, 2004, 05:17 PM
There is no screenshot. There is only one thing to see : it's the Corruption.cpp source file in the src subdirectory.
It has nothing to do with the editor. Civ3Ext allows you to write and use a different corruption formula. Civ3Ext interrupts the game whenever corruption is to be calculated for a city, does its own calculations, passes the result to the game and resumes it.

edit : I realize I don't know which part of Civ3Ext you are talking about.
I thought it was for corruption. Anyway, everything Civ3Ext does can't be done with the editor. Just run it and test it. There is no installation. Delete it if you aren't interested by this utility.

aeldrik
Jan 16, 2004, 12:31 AM
@Muchembled: there are quite a few players like myself mainly interested of the removal of the city limit which your tool offers, can't you create a small utility just for that for C3C1.15? that would be just great,!!!

planetfall
Jan 16, 2004, 09:18 AM
There is no screenshot. There is only one thing to see : it's the Corruption.cpp source file in the src subdirectory.
It has nothing to do with the editor. Civ3Ext allows you to write and use a different corruption formula. Civ3Ext interrupts the game whenever corruption is to be calculated for a city, does its own calculations, passes the result to the game and resumes it.

edit : I realize I don't know which part of Civ3Ext you are talking about.
I thought it was for corruption. Anyway, everything Civ3Ext does can't be done with the editor. Just run it and test it. There is no installation. Delete it if you aren't interested by this utility.

Let's see if I understand now. Your utility:

1. allows you to write a different corruption formula in Corruption.cpp
2. you compile Corruption.cpp and put the recompiled code as Corruption.exe in the
normal installed directory
3. your utility redirections queries to original file to revised compiled file.

If my understanding is correct, then the only visible indication that utility is running is differencies observed in amount of corruption. Thus no screen shots are available.

Did I get it?

Originally I thought from your decription you created something of a run time trace program that would window when you ran the game.

== PF

Muchembled
Jan 16, 2004, 10:08 AM
For the corruption, that's it... approximately : that's not Corruption.exe but Civ3Ext.PTW.exe ou Civ3Ext.Civ3.exe.

planetfall
Jan 16, 2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks.

Bottom line great utility if have a compiler, but if not currently using a complier for game OS, a future tool to consider.

== PF

Muchembled
Jan 17, 2004, 02:14 PM
Well, concerning the 'more cities' part, I am going to remove it.
Contrary to all other extensions and the 'more units' one, it is buggy so I don't think it has been useful to many players.
I tried to fix it, I've even fixed the F1&F5 panel when the human player has more than 512 units, but I finally found a big static fixed-size array of ~1 MB where the game can only store information for 512 cities for all civilizations. There are too many references to this array. I still think Firaxis could easily remove the limit.
It was worth a try.

Gramphos
Jan 17, 2004, 02:26 PM
May I ask you if oyu know what that array is for?

warmwaffles
Jan 17, 2004, 03:25 PM
Is their a C3C Version???? If so please tell me...........

dog
Jan 17, 2004, 06:55 PM
How does the Evolving Barbarians feature work?

Muchembled
Jan 17, 2004, 07:21 PM
@Drivebymaster : see first post
@dog : see the readme and post #28 (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=1202210#post1202210)
Originally posted by Gramphos
May I ask you if oyu know what that array is for? I had the intuition knowing that wouldn't help so I stopped there. Now that you asked it, I've just noticed I have a reference to it in the corruption patch.
This array is the main part of the instance of a class which has a method that determines if 2 cities are linked (if not, distanced-based must be increased by 25%). This array seems to contain information for any couple of cities. Its size would be in O(N^2).

dog
Jan 17, 2004, 07:36 PM

@dog : see the readme and post #28 (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=1202210#post1202210)

Well, I got the bit from post #28 but I wasn't going to d/l the program and the readme because I play with Conquests. Do you actually replace all the existing barb units with newer units that have upgraded stats at the trigger event? Or is it just a graphics change? Can the modder select which units become the new barb units?

If you don't plan on doing a Conquests version then I hope another enterprising programmer type could take your idea and make a utility for C3C. A lot of people have been hoping for upgraded barbs. I'd d/l it in a heartbeat if I was still playing PTW!

Muchembled
Jan 17, 2004, 07:40 PM
It's not just a graphics change. And yes, a modder can select which units become the new barb units.

dog
Jan 17, 2004, 07:43 PM
It's not just a graphics change. And yes, a modder can select which units become the new barb units.

Sounds great. I hope someone buys you a copy of Conquests for the next French holiday. :D

Muchembled
Jan 19, 2004, 10:36 AM
New version. Civ3Ext 1.12 :
- Hall of Fame (you're asked if you want to add your score when a game is finished).
- 'More cities' removed.
- (bug) Loading of saves.

Dragon67
Apr 14, 2004, 02:54 PM
Great tool thanks, finally the ai will create a lot of units with 31 civ's. As I understand itís important too launch the exe file before you load the game, and AFTER you have past the unit limit, right?
So why not use a tool like winbatch, or something else, to create another exe, so it can launch civilization.exe together with your tool, at the same movement? I used a similar tool fore a couple of years ago with flight sim2002, the main exe was launched together with 7 add-ons, and it worked ok. The bad thing is that you need too install winbatch (or a similar tool), the good thing is that you never "forget" too launch your exe before playing....

Muchembled
Apr 14, 2004, 04:17 PM
As I understand itís important too launch the exe file before you load the game, and AFTER you have past the unit limit, right?
No. There are 2 things :
1. the link between the Civ3Ext and the game : it is established automatically however you launch them (you can even launch Civ3Ext once, when Windows starts, since it's a small program)
2. applying rules : Civ3Ext must detect the moment when you start a new game or load a savegame. You can set/change the rules at any time.
"AFTER you have past the unit limit" : anyway, you wouldn't see the difference before... :confused:

Dragon67
Apr 14, 2004, 04:49 PM
The difference before(without the tool): You can upgrade units without crash, after the limit, the game will crash when you are trying too upgrade a SINGLE unit. Before the ai will produce units as normal, after only human can produce units, the world turns into ghostland. When several civs are wiped out, the game turns into more like normal again. But it depends on how many units you have created. Happens often when playing with 31 civs, and it made the game too easy.
I was afraid that the game would crash after the limit, if I tried too load the game without the tool, that's why I called it important ;) . Before it makes no difference, but you need too know exactly when you are close too the limit ;)

TETurkhan
Apr 17, 2004, 06:43 PM
All I am going to say is - C3C version!!!

Please... :rolleyes:

Fionavar
Nov 27, 2004, 03:13 PM
So any thoughts or developments about a C3C version? This is a great app and now that I am playing on Teturkhan's massive map, it would be great to not worry about limitations ;)

Maccabee
Dec 11, 2005, 09:20 PM
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
I just crashed a C3C scenario on a 256 by 256 map with 31 civs, probably due to the 512 limit.
We definitely need this utility for C3C.
It's a shame Firaxis didn't put its equivalent in a patch.

Muchembled
Dec 12, 2005, 06:55 AM
Read post #68 (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=1524534#post1524534)
Only Firaxis could increase/remove that limit.

Maccabee
Dec 12, 2005, 09:14 AM
:( :cry: Alas, and I had modified Marla's beautiful world map into a beautiful Early Middle Ages Scenario with 31 civs. It didn't crash until 1416, but still. I guess I will never know if the alliance of European kingdoms was able to liberate France from the occupation of the evil Mongol Empire.
What size map seems to be the (approximate) maximum to avoid hitting the 512 city limit in a long (epic) game?
Any help would be appreciated. I am very particular about my world maps and spend months modding them with atlases and reference books. Obviously, the larger map I use, the more accurate and detailed I can make the terrain, coastlines, and resources, BUT......the 512 city limit is something I must now reckon with. (Oh, cruel fate. What painter is told he must use a smaller canvas.) :cry: