View Full Version : Shock and Awe! Scandinavia the Most Heavily Armed Region in Western Europe

Håkan Eriksson
Jul 01, 2003, 06:06 PM
I heard about this studdie today... I'm pretty suprised...

From the Small Arms Survey 2003:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 1 JULY 2003, 09:00 CET
CONTACT: Aaron Karp (English), Anna Khakee (Swedish), Small Arms Survey, Geneva
Tel: +41 22 908 5777

Scandinavia the Most Heavily Armed Region in Western Europe – New Study

Finland, Norway are #1 and #2 in European civilian gun ownership;
Finland #3 in the world

Scandinavian citizens are some of the most heavily armed in Western Europe, according to a
new study. Finland has the highest rate of gun ownership with 39 guns per 100 citizens;
Norway is ranked second with 36 guns per 100; Sweden is fourth with 24 guns per 100 and
Denmark is fifth with 18 guns per 100. For comparison, the average gun ownership rate in the
15 member states of the EU is 17.4 guns per 100 people.
Finland is estimated to be the third most heavily armed nation in the world, after the United
States and Yemen.
"Despite these relatively large firearm stockpiles, Scandinavia has some of the highest rates of
gun registration in Europe," said Aaron Karp, one of the report's authors. "In France and
Germany, and elsewhere in Europe, unregistered guns far exceed the number registered."
"Many, but not all countries of Europe already have a strong gun culture," according to Karp,
whose research for the Small Arms Survey 2003, to be released at the UN next week, shows
that:
• An estimated 84 million firearms are legally in circulation in the 15 member states of the
EU. Of these, 80 per cent – 67 million guns – are in civilian hands
• Gun laws are tightest in the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and Poland
• In per capita terms, Germans buy almost as many firearms as Americans
• France has more lawfully held handguns than the Czech Republic, Denmark, England
and Wales, Poland, Scotland, and Sweden combined
Contrary to the common assumption, guns are not rare or traditionally highly regulated in
either France or Germany, according to the new research. In the 13 months to last October,
47 people died and more than 36 were wounded with privately held guns in mass shootings in
France, Germany, Italy and Switzerland.
More information on firearms in Scandinavia, with country comparisons of gun ownership
across Europe, is at: http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/Media/
Contact: Aaron Karp (English), Anna Khakee (Swedish), Small Arms Survey, Geneva.
Tel: +41 22 908 5777
Small Arms Survey 2003: Development Denied, the third annual global analysis of small
arms issues (published by Oxford University Press), will be released in full on 8 July 2003 at
the United Nations in New York, during the UN's Biennial Meeting of States on small arms.
The Survey: an independent research project funded by 12 governments, the Small Arms
Survey is the principal international source of public information and analysis on small arms
issues. It is based at the Graduate Institute of International Studies in Geneva, Switzerland.
Visit the Small Arms Survey website at www.smallarmssurvey.org
- # # # -

Ohwell
Jul 01, 2003, 06:11 PM
Doesn't Switzerland have a huge defense force for its size?

Greadius
Jul 01, 2003, 06:17 PM
Woo! We're #1! [dance]

MCdread
Jul 01, 2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Ohwell
Doesn't Switzerland have a huge defense force for its size?

The whole male population from 18 to about 45 I think. They go the army camps every Summer and keep the weapon at home during the rest of the year if I'm not mistaken.

Yago
Jul 01, 2003, 06:26 PM
Yes, you are not mistaken. Hm, maybe they deemed Switzerland too small for the survey ?

Smaasnekje
Jul 01, 2003, 06:32 PM
It's mostly hunting guns in Norway... A friend of mine got four doublebarreled shotguns at home, my uncle has a few hunting rifles, the father of another friend of mine has a rifle,my last teacher has a few, my grandfather has three..
Hunting has allways been a big sport in Norway, and It probobly is i both Sweden and Finland since there's a lot of Elk's and deers in the forests of scandi... Deers annoying for us that live on the country, as they only come to eat the plants in our garden outside hunting season...

Yago
Jul 01, 2003, 06:46 PM
Yeah, hunting, that's it. Norway, Finland and Sweden, I gather from the map, have huge landscapes where hunting is possible. Switzerland hasn't that luxus, so densly populated and small.

Dr. Dr. Doktor
Jul 01, 2003, 07:12 PM
That reminds me.
Does Sweden, Norway and Finland have any trouble with those 'Hells Angels' or other sordid groups. Those guys are definately heavily armed, and in my opinion represents a danger to democracy. I never could figure out why they were not dismantled by the police. Maybe they are in collusion.

Kentonio
Jul 01, 2003, 08:23 PM
Switzerland probably isnt represented because they arent in the EU (IIRC). Its an EU survey.

Knight-Dragon
Jul 01, 2003, 08:27 PM
Scandinavia is in Western Europe? I've always thought it's in Northern Europe... :)

Azale
Jul 01, 2003, 08:39 PM
One more thing i can use against Finnmaster ;)

Thadlerian
Jul 01, 2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Smaasnekje
It's mostly hunting guns in Norway... A friend of mine got four doublebarreled shotguns at home, my uncle has a few hunting rifles, the father of another friend of mine has a rifle,my last teacher has a few, my grandfather has three..
Hunting has allways been a big sport in Norway, and It probobly is i both Sweden and Finland since there's a lot of Elk's and deers in the forests of scandi... Deers annoying for us that live on the country, as they only come to eat the plants in our garden outside hunting season...
Don't listen to him! We use them all to kill each other!

Kinniken
Jul 02, 2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Kentonio
Switzerland probably isnt represented because they arent in the EU (IIRC). Its an EU survey.

They are not in the EU, but neither is Norway.

In any case, I suppose France's high "score" is mainly due to hunting... With a population density only half that of the UK and a greater percentage of people living in the countryside, hunting is very popular here.
Most countryside dwellers have a gun, at least for rabbit/bird hunting.

Smaasnekje
Jul 02, 2003, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Dr. Doktor
That reminds me.
Does Sweden, Norway and Finland have any trouble with those 'Hells Angels' or other sordid groups. Those guys are definately heavily armed, and in my opinion represents a danger to democracy. I never could figure out why they were not dismantled by the police. Maybe they are in collusion.
Yes we have Hells Angels and their arch enemy Bandidos in (at least) Norway, but we havent heared about any problems with them in this millenium.. But there was a lot of fuzzz in the 1990's

Originally posted by XIII
Scandinavia is in Western Europe? I've always thought it's in Northern Europe... :)

It's actually in North Western Europe ;)

Originally posted by Thadlerian

Don't listen to him! We use them all to kill each other!

Come on! We are a civilized Nation... It's only those guys in HV that kill anyone with them...

funxus
Jul 02, 2003, 05:21 AM
As Smaasnekje said, I think that most of those who have guns at home, have not just one but a few, so the guns aren't equally spread out. Maybe they should have checked how many out of 100 owned a gun or more too...

Sometimes it's still on the news that they've captured a member of bandidos or Hell's Angels, or that they've been convicted. Usually for drugs or murder.

Mikoyan
Jul 02, 2003, 05:39 AM
Lots of guns used by mobsters in the big cities, too. They caught one guy the last week who had an entire arsenal of weapons, including AK-47's, MP5's and Frag grenades for 'protection'. :ack:

Hurricane
Jul 02, 2003, 05:48 AM
Agreed, the numbers get skewed because most hunters have several guns. Also, like the report noted, gun registration is also the highest in Scandinavia. So the "grey" number is much smaller there than in other countries.

Vrylakas
Jul 02, 2003, 07:08 AM
XIII wrote:

Scandinavia is in Western Europe? I've always thought it's in Northern Europe...

I was wondering the same thing.

Smaasnekje wrote:

It's actually in North Western Europe

Stockholm is east of Prague, Zagreb and Ljubljana, nearly on the same longitude as Bratislava and is only slightly west of Warsaw. Are we Western European now too? :D

funxus
Jul 02, 2003, 07:26 AM
Maybe Western Europe could mean the European countries part of the Western world. I might be alone, but I'd e.g. call Australia and New Zeeland part of the western world even if it's on the same longitude as China, which definitely is in east from a European view.

My point is that they could've meant the political Western Europe (if there's such a thing?), and not the geographical one.

Smaasnekje
Jul 02, 2003, 07:38 AM
My meaning is that we can call Scandinavia North Western Europe because there arent any countries in Europe in north wich are more to the west, if you understand what I'm saying...

Cimbri
Jul 02, 2003, 11:28 AM
We’re arming for another Great Northern War… This time, we’ll conqueror the globe. :evil:

And aren’t it funny that while Scandinavians have so many weapons, we rarely shoot each other ;)

Cimbri

Smaasnekje
Jul 02, 2003, 12:00 PM
It isnt so funny... Just look at Canada, thy have even more guns and people and they rarely shoot each other there also!

TheViking
Jul 03, 2003, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Smaasnekje
My meaning is that we can call Scandinavia North Western Europe because there arent any countries in Europe in north wich are more to the west, if you understand what I'm saying... That depends on how you define Scandinavia because Iceland is in Europe and is far more to the west than Scandinavia. Also Scotland is more to the west and north than Denmark.