View Full Version : AI won't build ships.

Wyrmshadow
Jul 14, 2003, 05:35 PM
I want to duke it out with the computer in some large naval battles but they won't build any ships. The most that they do is build one transport. I've gone through and selected build naval power to always on all the civs and gave them all cheap ships but they never seem to build anything. The best I have ever gotten was africa building a number of primative cruisers and everyone else that was much more advanced stuck with the primative steam transports.

I've done everything that is in my knowledge:
made ships cheap
selected naval power on appropriate ships
selected build naval units to often for all civs.

Must I select expansionist as well?

dog
Jul 14, 2003, 06:58 PM
A while back I limited the number of settlers available my making them go obsolete early on. I make other settler units available again later for a short period (available for a couple of advances in the middle ages, early industrial ages and modern times). The reason I did this was to slow the insane land grab so that the game was actually playable into modern times without having to endure 20 minute waits at each turn.

A nice side effect is that the AI builds all that other stuff it can build, in much greater numbers. They build navies, colonies, forts, radar towers etc etc. I don't know if you want to get that radical with your game but it really changes the way the AI operates. My games now have large numbers of naval units cruising the seas. Just an idea.

:cool:

Wyrmshadow
Jul 14, 2003, 07:17 PM
The world is pretty much filled up already, it's a modern day mod basically, max cities. When I check the enemies troops they don't have hardly any settlers, but no ships at all apart from one transport and any ships I gave them when I created the mod.

Nder
Jul 14, 2003, 08:28 PM
one thing that causes the AI to produce ships is if you have a large navy yourself. The greater the naval threat the greater the likelihood that the AI will produce a navy to deal with that threat. Though, naval combat, much like air combat is one area that the AI could really use some upgrades in.

Wyrmshadow
Jul 15, 2003, 06:47 AM
Oh trust me, I had about 30+ ships, 100+ aircraft. The only nation that came close was Britain with 135 Sopwith Camels that never upgraded because DYP made airports so expensive.

Nder
Jul 15, 2003, 01:55 PM
what do expensive airports have to do with not upgrading aircraft?

pdescobar
Jul 15, 2003, 03:41 PM
The AI can be really weird about building ships in DyP. I either seem to get the problems you are seeing with like no navy at all except for a couple transports, or I get Admiral Overkill. I had a game a couple months back where I counted like 25 Persian galleys and a couple other ships they built; and that's just what I managed to see. I don't even come close to understanding AI build prefs :)