View Full Version : Roger Hoffman's high score

Lefty Scaevola
Oct 31, 2000, 11:25 AM
. I am please to see that it is possible to do the 254 city max population, peace bonus, and max space ship. score method at deity. With may 3 month, 6 game experience, rwo of which use that method (without map editing) at chieften level, I projected that it was not posiible at the higher levels. Without map editing you would only be able the get around 150 cities with 35 to 40 citizens and the rest would be infill cities at 6 to 25 citizens. My two (chiefton level) games got around 1.1 to 1.2 billion polulation (with the automatic counter stopping at 320,000, you must scroll thru the cities and sum their population). With all cities at 39 to 41 citizens you would have over 2 billion population.
. Having done the tedious task twice at chieften I have an idea of the great time and effort Mr Hoffman put into his achievment.
. Please inform me if any special utilities (such as at our download site)were use in the map creation or if only those supplied with the game were used.
. I concur with eschewing factories; with hundreds more cities than the computor their extra production is unnecsary, and you can do with the powerplants and rcycyling and poluttion cleaunp that goes with the. becuse of the limits on maximun cash and future techs most tax & science improvement can be forgone after you have dominant control over the computor civilizations. At deity level I assume you need all the attitude improvements in the huge cities as well as some those that improve but tax and luxiuries.
. I have seen a thread elsewhere suggesting that you can get 255 cities without ending the game by timing the last reincartion of the last cumputor civ, and building the 255 cities while it has only its settlor on the map.

------------------
Gauis Mucius Scaevola
Older, richer, and wiser than you.

Matrix
Oct 31, 2000, 02:03 PM
I bet he never wants to play this game again!

No, seriously, it no fun playing such a game! At least not at the end and that end begin after a quarter of the total time. Well, I ones tried it and I quit, because I got bored! And I probably wouldn't have come to Roberts score... http://forums.civfanatics.com/smile.gif

http://home.hetnet.nl/~maartencl/junk/Matrix.gif

Lefty Scaevola
Oct 31, 2000, 02:11 PM
. Having born born over 25 centuries ago during the reign of Marcus Servius Tullius in rome, I have a little most patience for long games. http://forums.civfanatics.com/biggrin.gif

------------------
Gauis Mucius Scaevola
Older, richer, and wiser than you.

CivPartisan
Nov 02, 2000, 07:12 PM
I think it is great that there are pioneers out there not afraid to test the limitations of the game. I haven't been nearly as successful as Roger...with my highest score at only just over 900 percent, but as I have played the game, I have tried different things. It is possible to 'tweak' the game within the confines of spirit of fair intention. The parameters of the rules.txt alone can be changed during game play and changed back. There are various 'cheat' utilities that could bring you to a score well over 2000 percent before 1 AD and the "CHEAT MODE" signature can be removed.

So, being able to obtain high scores without using any 'tweaks' is commendable. The fun may be that you learn, as opposed to play. I wonder if Roger would care to comment on whether or not his high scoring game has affected his interest!

Peace.

------------------
John Valdez
Modpacks/Scenarios/Review