View Full Version : Special Election - Culture Leader Nominations

Bootstoots
Aug 31, 2003, 08:46 PM
The post of Culture Leader had no accepted candidates during the regular nominations. Therefore, a special election must be conducted. Nominations will be open for 48 hours and the election poll will be open for the same amount of time. If there are no accepted candidates this time around, this post will remain vacant.

CivGeneral
Aug 31, 2003, 10:20 PM
I would like to Nominate Gainy_bo for this office

Bootstoots
Sep 01, 2003, 07:12 AM
I'll second Gainy and nominate D'yer Mak'er.

Bootstoots
Sep 01, 2003, 10:47 AM
I would also like to nominate Cyc, who says he can revive this department.

Donovan Zoi
Sep 01, 2003, 11:01 AM
Doggone-it, Boots! I wanted to be the one to nominate Cyc! :mad: :D I will wholeheartedly second him.

Let's give our First Cultural Minister a chance to show how important this position can be (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=1208037#post1208037). I do hope he accepts.

deshelbr
Sep 01, 2003, 11:25 AM
I third Cyc! If he is going to be telling us what we are doing wrong I would at least like him to be involved in the game.

Cyc
Sep 01, 2003, 10:44 PM
I'm no International Playboy, deshelbr, but as I said in my resignation, I was a very dedicated DG player for 17 months. My 4,000 plus posts were all made in the Demogames except for a few. I would also have to say that most of my posts were very wordy.

So I'm not real sure by your wording of your last post in this thread if you're trying to be serious and call me out or put me down or whatever...or if you're just trying to provoke me in a friendly way to accept the nomination.

Basically, the only thing I haven't tried my hand at in this game, by taking the position or verbally or graphically leading by example or participation, is the Pres/VP role. And as I'm probably the DG citizen with the most t/c's notched on my gun (or close to it), that position aside from the mechanics of chat room, is not beyond my experience.

I have read another post in which you've said that the present DG3 is not flourishing. I disagree. The entire Government body with which our citizens interface the game with is entirely new. All us old fogies have stepped aside and the new regime has stepped up to the plate, so to speak. Except in the Culture Department. You should really fix that problem, not slash it from the game because you don't have the time for it.

Before I left, I tried to give a basic outline as to what the Culture Department could be like, but I doubt anyone took it to heart, because they were afraid if they put a lot of work into something that wasn't blood and gore and killing, they wouldn't be cool enough to stand up to the rest. The Culture Department is part of Civ 3, like it or not. If no one playing in DG3 has the imagination to make the position work or be active, don't kill the Department. Wait till someone comes along that can fill the shoes of the Ministers that came before, like we waited for you.

BTW, before I would even think about accepting this nomination, there would have to be quite a few changes made as far as the structure and responsibilities of the Department. Well, maybe not quite a few, but some changes anyway. This would take a lot longer than the time this nomination thread is open to realize. Discussion and polling would have to be done to get these things done.

But you see, I've just spent a lot longer than anyone else has (timewise) trying to get my point across about a lot of different aspects of the game. Well eyrei has been here as long as me I guess, but I think he took some time off. Anyway, I believe my time for leadership is done. As a citizen, it is my responsibility to make posts such as the one I made in the Culture Poll. Sorry if you didn't like it, 'cause I felt really good after posting it.

ravensfire
Sep 02, 2003, 12:10 AM
Cyc,

If you're willing to help make the Cultural department something we would all be proud of, I'm willing to help. Let me know what discussions and changes would be needed, and I'll work with them.

Hopefully you've see the website we're working on - I think that will fit in your vision.

-- Ravensfire, President of Fanatica

Peri
Sep 02, 2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Cyc

BTW, before I would even think about accepting this nomination, there would have to be quite a few changes made as far as the structure and responsibilities of the Department. Well, maybe not quite a few, but some changes anyway. This would take a lot longer than the time this nomination thread is open to realize. Discussion and polling would have to be done to get these things done.

Cyc,
Many people were stirred out of their slumber by your post Cyc. None of us knew what to do with the Culture Dpartment but you have indicated rather quietly that you have the germ of an idea.
Rather than posting and running please help us to sort this out. How can you turn down our honest request. :)

Regards.

deshelbr
Sep 02, 2003, 12:51 PM
Cyc, I'm not trying to put you down at all, I think what you said was very valid. I'm just saying that, as far as I can tell, your Culture Department post was the first one you made since resigning a few weeks ago.

Nothing we do would be permanent, so if you, or someone like you, won't fill the culture department then it will only be abolished until everyone feels like reinstating it. It is going to be de facto abolished anyway if it is left vacant.

I'm personally for having more offices in the government, just not strictly based off of the advisors screens in the Civ 3. I think our goverment needs to be based of our needs as a demo game.

Bootstoots
Sep 02, 2003, 05:58 PM
I'm going to make an official Election Office decree that these nominations will be open for 24 hours longer than the original posted time, so that this position has less of a chance of becoming vacant.

EDIT: My 1500th post (again...a triple post by me was deleted so you'll see two 1500 post notations)

DaveShack
Sep 02, 2003, 11:49 PM
Part of the problem with the Culture Dept as the game is currently organized, is the governors take their control of queues so seriously that there is little of substance that can be done by Culture. Even so, there are some areas which we need a dedicated person to lead.

Organizing cultural "attack" to get foreign cities to flip to us
Organizing cultural defense, to keep our cities from flipping away. This is especially important for newly captured border towns.
Concentrating cultural development, especially Wonders, in one place, to give us a backup victory condition.

I would be willing to consider taking on the role, if there is sufficient support from the governors in the form of assurances that Culture input will result in appropriate build queues. I don't have a lot of time but should be able to squeeze it in. ;)

Plexus
Sep 03, 2003, 03:06 AM
I think that anyone so far nominated would make an excellent Culture Minister. I hope that under their guidance, they can make the Ministry something that I lacked the will to do.

That being said, I endorse Cyc specifically, as I think he has been out of the culture game for far too long, and I'd like to see what he can do.

Bootstoots
Sep 03, 2003, 05:20 AM
I'll nominate you, Dave.

Bootstoots
Sep 03, 2003, 07:20 PM
Extending this for a further 24 hours...but after that, this office will remain vacant.

DaveShack, I advise you make a decision on your nomination soon. :)

CivGeneral
Sep 03, 2003, 07:24 PM
I would like to nominate Civanator

Donovan Zoi
Sep 03, 2003, 08:41 PM
I will second DaveShack. :)

CivGeneral
Sep 03, 2003, 09:29 PM
If no one accepts there nomination, I would like to extend the dateline to another 24 hrs.

naervod
Sep 03, 2003, 09:51 PM
I will nominate myself only if no one else runs. I am planning on returning to the DG, starting about... NOW. ;)

CivGeneral
Sep 03, 2003, 10:07 PM
Great to hear your return Naervod :D. Finaly the Deadlin exstention can be lifted :).

Bootstoots
Sep 04, 2003, 05:47 AM
I still want to keep this open for the remaining part of the 24 hours to give DaveShack a chance to respond.

naervod
Sep 04, 2003, 05:14 PM
Thanks CG. Also, I would like to say, that even if someone decides to run in the next two hours that the nominations are still open, I will still run, because even if I don't get the top job in the department, I would still like to work a Deputy.

DaveShack
Sep 04, 2003, 06:38 PM
@Naervod,

I believe that you would make a fine Culture Leader and I'm happy to see you're willing to stay a candidate if there is someone else.

I'll accept the nomination, to avoid the necessity of another special election to choose a deputy.

Bootstoots
Sep 04, 2003, 07:12 PM
Okay, the nominations are now closed. The election will be posted shortly.