View Full Version : Who Would You Like to Meet?

Apollo
Oct 14, 2001, 09:48 PM
What 3 people from history would you like to meet (assume that you are able to speak a common language), and why?

The most prominent figures in history are political and military leaders, but some other ideas to think about are: writers, philosophers, your own ancestors, explorers/pioneers, and inventors.

Although there have been many great minds through history such as Archimedes, Leonardo da Vinci, and Isaac Newton, the three I would like to meet are all from relatively rescent periods.
Benjamin Franklin: He was known for many things, including having a large ego and being a womanizer, but he was also a scientist, a writer, and one of the founding members of the United States. At one point he even tried to make himself "perfect", which he considered the culmination of moral values and learning, a very difficult task for someone to take on.
Mark Twain: He too was a very smart person. Most well known for his books, he was also a great thinker, and had a lot of good jokes, several of which I can recite from memory.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt: He is widely considered one of the best leaders ever of the United States. He led the US out of the Great Depression and through WW2. He was elected to four terms, all the while having a debilitating disease that would be enough to sideline most people for life -- very inspiring.

Knight-Dragon
Oct 14, 2001, 10:35 PM
"Franklin Delano Roosevelt: He is widely considered one of the best leaders ever of the United States. He led the US out of the Great Depression and through WW2. He was elected to four terms, all the while having a debilitating disease that would be enough to sideline most people for life -- very inspiring."

He was elected for 4 terms? I thought that each US President can only have 2 terms at most. Is it a special situation (cos of WW2)?

Magnus
Oct 14, 2001, 11:01 PM
the american constitution originally had no limits to the term of president. However George Washington (the first one) decided after 2 terms, he would step down, and that became a custom, but not a law. FDR was elected 4 times, and the last 2 times had a lot to do with the WW2 situation. Once he was gone from office, it was decided to make an amendment to the constitution to make it law that a president can only be elected twice.

who would i like to meet?

Jimi Hendrix
Genghis Khan
Lady Godiva

:)

Mikoyan
Oct 15, 2001, 04:32 AM
Attila the Hun
Vladimir Iljitj Uljanov(better known as Lenin)
Karl Marx
Sid Vicious
Jim Morrison
Lemmy Kilmister
Stanley Kubrick
Ozzy Osbourne

I need not tell you why i chose these people,ok then, simply because they are/were cool

Sodak
Oct 15, 2001, 10:14 AM
W. Shakespeare - the greatest literary mind of the english speaking world, altho I suspect Mark Twain would be better company for one day of chatting...

W. A. Mozart - just to hear him play live music.

Sidhartha - spend a day conversing with the wise one!

Graeme the mad
Oct 15, 2001, 12:58 PM
Not who'd Id like to meet but who I'd like to have a big conversation with one another: Rommel, SUn Tzu, Alexander the Great, Ogadai Khan and Joan of Arc

.:KNAS:.
Oct 16, 2001, 11:50 AM
alexander the great
rocky marciano
nostradamus

alexander- we could sit around and drin beer together:)
he was a well known alcoholic u know

rocky marciano- he could show me some move so i can kick everybodys asses

nostradamus- to see if he really knew all or if he was just stoned, wich is one theory

VanOranje
Oct 17, 2001, 10:40 AM
Alexander the Great
Julius Ceasar
Hitler

Why these three, we'll:

Alexander The great: so he could explain me how to ride a horse and drink beer like a real man :) "Because I got my ass kick last year by a pony :( :(

Julius Ceasar: So he could take me to a real cool "Roman Party" TOGA TOGA TOGA :p :p

Hitler: So I COULD KICK HIS ASS THREE TIMES OVER, AND KNOCK HIS BRAINS OUT WITH A BASEBALL BAT :mad: :D :mad:

Thats it !!!

Surf Wax America
Oct 17, 2001, 03:38 PM
Well, my three (in no order) would be:

1) Che Guevara- I'd just be curious as to how he felt about certain stuff...
2) Cleopatra- She was a fox in her day...

on a lighter note:
3) Starlifter- To see if he's as long-winded in person...:lol:

Crazy Eddie
Oct 17, 2001, 09:47 PM
I would certainly have to meet:
Samuel Johnson - And persuade him to make his English spellings MORE RATIONAL
Lord North- Take it easy on the taxes, man.
Klaus von Stauffenberg - Put the breifcase the other side of the table leg :D

Sodak
Oct 18, 2001, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Crazy Eddie
Samuel Johnson - And persuade him to make his English spellings MORE RATIONAL

Oddly enough, they were sensible at the time and place. But the spoken forms of another region (London, IIRC) became the predominant form in use, and these words did not match the spellings Johnson had used. For instance, Johnson's 'one' was just like 'bone' without the b.

(I don't recall who determined all this, but I remember it from linguistic studies.)

floppa21
Oct 18, 2001, 01:41 PM
Friedrich Nietzsche
Jesus Christ
Salma Hayek

Nietzsche to talk with.
Jesus to talk with.
Salma to "TALK" with... :p

Okay so Salma isn't from "history"... If I need to replace her, I'd pick Marilyn Monroe. To "TALK" with of course. ;)

willemvanoranje
Oct 18, 2001, 01:56 PM
Who would I like to meet? Almost every famous guy in history: the great philosphers (Plato, Socrates, Aristotoles), great war heroes (all Greek and Roman generals etc.). But I really want to meet Churchill, Barbarossa, Hitler, Willem van Oranje, Michiel de Ruyter and Wilhelmina.

Crazy Eddie
Oct 20, 2001, 03:17 AM
Oddly enough, they were sensible at the time and place
Now you're just scaring me Sodak.
I flunked English so of course I have an axe to grind here... :)

joespaniel
Oct 21, 2001, 09:16 AM
Erich von Manstein -discuss strategy
Karl Marx -political debate
Sigmund Frued -smack him over the head and scream"quit doing so much blow!" ;)

amadeus
Oct 26, 2001, 12:43 PM
Karl Marx - so I could stop him and Engels from writing the Communist Manifesto.

Ronald Reagan - during his prime years as President, and maybe even when he was an active Democrat (1940's)

George Bush (former)...disccuss Saddam Hussein, or better known as "so damn insane" ;)

^TheBlackKnight
Oct 28, 2001, 06:56 AM
Hitler: So I COULD KICK HIS ASS THREE TIMES OVER, AND KNOCK HIS BRAINS OUT WITH A BASEBALL BAT

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotfl:

Loving that remark!

adamsj
Dec 03, 2001, 07:19 AM
This is such a cool question.

For me Winston Churchill, the Saviour of Britain in it dearest hours!

redtom
Dec 04, 2001, 06:45 PM
I'd like to meet Hitler and kick him the nuts!

Or maybe that bloke who shot the arch-duke ferdinand to stop the first world war. Thus Britain's empire would possibly still encircle the globe and the expensive wars we would had missed would make me richer!

Redtom

polymath
Dec 05, 2001, 07:41 AM
Samuel Taylor Coleridge - Poet, Philosopher, opium junkie, and managed to write one of the best poems ever ('Kubla Khan') in his sleep.
Or
Thomas Edison - the greatest inventor in history. He filed over 1,000 succesful patents. In other terms, that's like filing a succesful patent every week for twenty years.

damunzy
Dec 05, 2001, 05:03 PM
Jesus, son of the Christian's God. I'd really like to talk to him and find out if he was the son of God.
Hitler, and his commanders. I'd like to know what went on when they were making their choices in war.
Haven't thought of a 3rd one yet.

knowltok
Dec 07, 2001, 04:54 PM
>>Klaus von Stauffenberg - Put the breifcase the other side of the table leg <<

Actually, he put it in the right place, but someone moved it to the other side.

1. Mark Twain for all the above reasons.

2. Teddy Roosevelt. I'd love to get his take on modern times.

3. Bill Clinton in the formative years so I could point to him and shout, "That 's not inhaling!!!"

Just kidding on the last one.

Sayhueque
Dec 08, 2001, 05:31 PM
I'd like to just put Rommel, Monty, Zhukov and Patton in the same room and see what happens. :D

Nishdog
Dec 09, 2001, 09:39 PM
Samuel Adams: so I could borrow some trade secrets :beer:

Richard Nixon: so I could make fun of his middle name to his face.

Sigmund Freud: so I could tell him to do some MORE crack.

Captain Edward John Smith (http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/bio/c/d/smith_ej.shtml): so I could wish him a safe trip :lol:

Santa Claus: so I could ask him if the Easter Bunny really exists!

Mohammed Ali: so i could inform him that "I AM THE GREATEST"

Strik
Dec 10, 2001, 04:54 AM
Joan of arc: I want to see how her personality is, mentally deranged by her believes or sweet girl who is fighting for her country.

Hitler: To kill him at the spot and step into my timemachine just in time to not get killed myself

Julius Ceasar: I don't know yet, he seems interesting