View Full Version : Conquests Basic Israel Mod

Gogf
Nov 22, 2003, 01:49 PM
The newest version is version 3.0

Download from Website (http://gogf.ath.cx/BI/)
Direct Download (http://gogf.ath.cx/BI/BI30.zip)

Requirements: Civilization 3 Conquests

The readme (http://gogf.ath.cx/BI/readme.php) explains the bugs fixed in version 3.0.

Many thanks to Chieftess for fixing the thread title :)!

Gogf
Nov 23, 2003, 07:05 AM
Is everyone boycotting me at the moment? Has anyone downloaded it yet?

There are some known problems, and I am working on them for version 0.2, anyone have military/scientific leader lists? Please post them.

bernhj
Nov 30, 2003, 10:39 AM
The first download does not work. I am still eagerly awaiting version 2 :)

Gogf
Dec 06, 2003, 06:34 AM
Okay, so Download2 works (I tested it myself). Don't worry though, for version 0.2 I won't put in spaces. I've found a fair amount of bugs, but I'm almost done, and ready for version 0.2. Should be up this weekend. Also, when LouLong complete's the Slinger graphics, I can release version 1.0, this is supposed to be around the new year, so I will try to get out 0.3, 0.4, etc. before then.

Edit: I've changed the version numbers, because other than the unit graphics (and text for teh civilopedia entry) of the Slinger, everything is done! :)

Gogf
Dec 06, 2003, 06:38 AM
Sorry, please ignore this psot (not thread, but post).

Gogf
Dec 06, 2003, 07:02 AM
Okay, version 1.0 is finished!

Download (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/Basic_Israel.zip)

Gogf
Dec 06, 2003, 03:05 PM
I recommend you all upgrade to version 1.0. I've decided to make 2.0 the one with LouLong's graphics, because otherwise, it sounds like it still needs work now.

Gogf
Dec 21, 2003, 11:05 AM
Version 2.0 should be released on January 10th, if I get the Slinger on the 1st.

bernhj: I'll PM you to tell you, as you seem to be interested.

elementgoo
Dec 21, 2003, 10:55 PM
WHat exactly is this MOD?

Gogf
Dec 23, 2003, 09:53 AM
It adds Israel as a civilization. They replace the Hittites.

Version 1.5 will be a prelude to 2.0. It should be done later today/tommorow

Changes in 1.5:
-Siege quinquereme removed (it sort of defeats the purpose of a basic mod)
-Israeli flag will be leaderhead
-"Macabee" renamed "Slinger," and graphics changed to archer, until 2.0, when I get LouLong's
--If anyone has good Macabee graphics, I will use them as the Macabee, instead of the Slinger!

I'll see if I can get a Moshe Dayan leaderhed for version 2.0.

Gogf
Dec 25, 2003, 06:37 AM
Sorry for the lack of promised updates. My game wasn't (and still isn't) working, so it'll take me a little long to finish. I hope to be done by the end of Christmas.

Walter Hawkwood
Jan 15, 2004, 03:40 AM
I'd like to donate you some leaderheads of my made. I set up an israeli civ for personal use quite some time ago, and I used these as era-specific leader change. These are David, Herod the Great (actually, an actor playing Herod), Golda Meir, Theodor Herzl and Ariel Sharon. Feel free to use them. An era-specific thingie with flags for foreign advisor is also included. Here you are. (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/LEADER~1.ZIP)

TheArchon
Jan 16, 2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Walter Hawkwood
I'd like to donate you some leaderheads of my made. I set up an israeli civ for personal use quite some time ago, and I used these as era-specific leader change. These are David, Herod the Great (actually, an actor playing Herod), Golda Meir, Theodor Herzl and Ariel Sharon. Feel free to use them. An era-specific thingie with flags for foreign advisor is also included. Here you are. (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/LEADER~1.ZIP)

Ariel Sharom a great Leader :mad:

This lowly gangster, should be in prison with both his sons.

If you want great leaders of modern era, they should be Menaham Begin. David Ben Guion and so on. Next you gonna say Bibi is a great leader...:confused:

Walter Hawkwood
Jan 16, 2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by TheArchon

If you want great leaders of modern era, they should be Menaham Begin. David Ben Guion and so on. Next you gonna say Bibi is a great leader...:confused:

Who's Bibi? Ariel Sharon IS the leader of Israel now, no matter how great. He just is. When he's in prison, not at the country's lead, I'll make his successor.

Gogf
Jan 16, 2004, 11:58 AM
@Walkter Hawkwood: Thank you so much. You have revived my interest in a scenario I abandoned when LouLong stopped making the Slinger. I'm going to launch a major update to the scenario, and would you like to join the team, and help in the update?

Walter Hawkwood
Jan 16, 2004, 12:51 PM
That depends on what you're expecting from me. I'm quite used to making static leaderheads, but I'm no unit maker... Or else what? Are you planning making it a full-scale mod, not a single additional civ?

Gogf
Jan 16, 2004, 01:04 PM
Really just tuning up the civ, making sure it's balanced, the leaderhead works, testing it all, coming up with scientific leader names, basic stuff. No, not a full-scale mod. Will you help?

Walter Hawkwood
Jan 18, 2004, 05:21 AM
Sure as hell. As I mentioned before, I've made such a civ for myself. The leaderheads I posted work fine, as I've tested them in-game for many games. But, if you want any other to be made, just give me a pic, and in some 5 minutes - voila - a new leaderhead for ya. As for their UU's, I used to place them in modern era. You know, modern Israeli troops and their performance have always inspired awe in me, from the Six Days War and on. So, I used to give them UU modern infantry and Merkavah armor, both of which are already made and lie here on the forums. And if my views of Merkavah as the world's best tank line might be somehow biased, then Israel's infantry has proven to be capable of working wonders back there during arab wars.

Gogf
Jan 21, 2004, 05:33 AM
Yes, but if we give Israel two UUs, then it would be overpowered. We have to keep some balance, even if in reality Israel's army is that good. I'll make a new version with Boubougadol's Merkavah. But, if somebody ever does make a Macabee, or Slinger, I would probably use that. Actually, I think I'll do an Israeli Infantryman as the UU. One extra point somewhere on the Merkavah won't help, unless you give it 4 movement, which is really unfair to everyone else. Could you give me a link to the Israeli Infantry, Walter Hawkwood? Thanks!

Walter Hawkwood
Jan 21, 2004, 05:49 AM
Well, that's not exactly THE Israeli infantry; but it is based on it. Well, anyway, come see yourself.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/Modern_Soldier.zip

I'd give them stealth attack for their ability to perform precise counter-terrorist strikes.

Gogf
Jan 21, 2004, 05:18 PM
Good idea, the Modern Infantry. Maybe give it stealth attack, and paradrop. What should it replace?

Gogf
Jan 21, 2004, 05:19 PM
Actually, it doesn't have to replace anything. It could just be a nice free unit. Or, it could replace the modern paratrooper.

TheArchon
Jan 22, 2004, 03:50 AM
Israel special unit is the Merkava field tank, it considered by expert the best in the world.

Its speciality is it ability to move extermly fast, in a lot of terrain type, but its less armored then the M-2.

http://www.tribulation.com/images/merkava.jpg

And your great leader Sharon, wont last a month, for bribery charge. So please remove him from the mode.

Walter Hawkwood
Jan 22, 2004, 04:16 AM
Israel special unit is the Merkava field tank, it considered by expert the best in the world.

Its speciality is it ability to move extermly fast, in a lot of terrain type, but its less armored then the M-2.

http://www.tribulation.com/images/merkava.jpg

And your great leader Sharon, wont last a month, for bribery charge. So please remove him from the mode.

So Merkava is not my personal opinion! That's great to hear.
About Sharon - care to read the whole thread, it is not so long. As sonn as he IS gone, he'll be replaced by someone else. And there's not a single post anywhere calling him GREAT. I'm getting tired of this. He's not great, he's just modern.
And as for modern infantry - we could add the unit itself, IMHO, as it has also been made long ago - I think it is only fair having one more foot infantry upgrade along with mech.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30000

Gogf
Jan 22, 2004, 04:49 AM
@TheArchon: Yes, the Merkavah is the Israeli special field unit, but adding a point of attack, or defense in teh age of tanks is too weak. That being said, a modern tank that is better than anyone else's tanks is overpowering, and we want the game to be fair.

TheArchon
Jan 22, 2004, 04:56 AM
I thought about decreasing defense for more movment, mybe treat some terrain as road.

Gogf
Jan 22, 2004, 05:52 PM
Even with lower defense, increased movement is overpowering. A non-army 4 movement unit, when there are no other 4 movement units is cheap. Also, you unfortunately can't have it treat some terrain as road, otherwise I would do that, as it is a good idea.

Mobilize
Jan 22, 2004, 06:36 PM
Uh.. the Merkava is a Modern Armor, definantly not a Tank which I believe is compared to WW2 standards. Just have it replace the Modern Armor, make it have less defense but more movement or perhaps more attack.

Walter Hawkwood
Jan 23, 2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Gogf
@TheArchon: Yes, the Merkavah is the Israeli special field unit, but adding a point of attack, or defense in teh age of tanks is too weak. That being said, a modern tank that is better than anyone else's tanks is overpowering, and we want the game to be fair.

Isn't having UU's about overpowering? Better maneuvreability (or however it is spelled) can be simulated by giving the armor HIGHER defence, as it increases its survivability. So a modern armor with about +2/+4 attack/defence looks fine to me. Taken in %, it isn't out of the line with other UU's.

TheArchon
Jan 24, 2004, 12:42 AM
And another thing, don't forget that a UU that is created so late in the game has less advantage then one created early.

Gogf
Jan 24, 2004, 06:32 AM
Okay, maybe more defense. But, yes UUs are about overpowering, but being the only non army unit with four movement is way too strong. I'll try to get the new version online soon.

erez87
Jan 24, 2004, 07:10 AM
Sharon as a great leader (but not THE leader) is just ok!
He led us to many victories at the battlefield.
Bibi (binyamin netanyau) is a VERY rich dude that takes from the poor and give the rich, and mostly himself... You know the regular strong human being... DON'T ADD HIM! he did nothing good.

Ehud Barak as a miliatery great leader can also be added, he did some good miliatery stuff.

And add Izhak rabin, as a SGL and GL as he was a wariar when we needed wariars and a peacemaker when we needed peace...
I know he was assasinated and all that... :(

Need more people? Scientific leader could be einstain... he was a jew, and almost the first president of Israel... lol

Gogf
Jan 24, 2004, 01:54 PM
If we don't have sharon as a leader, then we need another leaderhead (I don't want a flag, sorry Spinscrus).

Should we make Moshe Diyan a MGL?

Walter Hawkwood
Jan 24, 2004, 02:54 PM
Anyone you decide. But AFAIR, Moshe is a contemporary of Golda Meir or close to - and as such, we could make Meir the modern one (while we have Herzl industrial). Dayan is all military - don't think he fits in as a national leader (but should certainly be in military leaderlist). Anyone else can be there - just give me a pic. As for now, I've made Yitzhak Rabin for a change.

Gogf
Jan 24, 2004, 02:56 PM
Oh, good idea on Rabin. I tihink I'll use him. BTW, can anyone do a civilopedia entry for the Merkavah 4?

EDIT: Also new stat idea for Merkavah 4: Instead of 24.18.3 (2 more defense than standard Modern Armor), how about 24.16.1 All Terrain As Roads? It will give it a speed advantage, without making it overpowering. What does everyone think?

EDIT II: I downloaded Rabin, and he looks good. Too bad he isn't animated though.

TheArchon
Jan 24, 2004, 04:14 PM
Since i serve in a Merkava battlion(3 bazz not 4), i will give the entry.

Merkava Mark 4

The Merkava 4 is a 65t main battle tank.
The tank is capable of carrying eight infantry soldiers, a Command Group or three litter patients (stretcher casualties) in addition to the tank crew of commander, loader, gunner and driver. The tank is capable of firing on the move at moving targets and has demonstrated high hit probability in firing against attack helicopters using conventional anti-tank munitions.
The tank is armed with a 120mm gun. The gun can fire higher power amunitions including new 120mm high penetration projectiles and guided shells. The loader can select semi-automatically the ammunition type. The tank carries 48 rounds of ammunition each stored in a protective container. An electrically operated revolving magazine contains 10 ready-to-fire rounds.

The tank is fitted with 7.62mm machine guns and an internally operated 60mm mortar system. The mortar can fire explosive and illumination rounds to a range of 2,700m.

The protection suite includes an advanced electromagnetic threat identification and warning system.

The Merkava 4 is powered by a V-12 diesel engine rated at 1,500hp.

The tank is protected against a range of threats, including air launched precision guided missiles and advanced and top attack anti-tank weapons. Automatic fire detection and suppression has been installed. The underside of the hull has been fitted with additional armour protection against mines.

Gogf
Jan 24, 2004, 04:49 PM
Thank you TheArchon! You serve in a Merkavah battalion? Cool. What do you think about 24.16.1 All Terrain As Roads?

Homie
Jan 24, 2004, 08:07 PM
Following the standards of civ3, shouldn't there only be one leader, not one for each era? And that leader should be the leader the civilization had when it was at its greatest, its "Golden Age". So obvioulsy the leader should be David.

erez87
Jan 25, 2004, 01:42 AM
Yeah, but their making a Modern israel, not ancient as much as I know...
So Golden age... :hmm: Did we ever had a realy good leader here? I mean one that the country didn't hated...

TheArchon
Jan 25, 2004, 01:57 AM
I guess Menaham Begine, was least hated... But he did made a major mistake(of listening to Sharon), but he took responsibility for it and retierd, he was probably the best modern leader, but you might as well leave Rabin, he is a well known figure that most negative thing about him have vapourated after the assasination.

About Merkava stats, it seems just fine to me, but will it have 3 attacks? I think its a major drawback if it doesn't(like i think), just increase movement point from 3 to 4.

Gogf
Jan 25, 2004, 06:07 PM
True, that's a problem (DARN IT!). We could do 24.16.3, ignore all terrain, which will have the same effect, but three attacks.

@Homie: Yes, we are making the same leader for each era, we were also calling GLs leaders though, and saying what era "the" leader was from, so it was confusing.

TheArchon
Jan 25, 2004, 11:27 PM
a 9MP tank?? no just add 1 MP and reduce the defence.

Gogf
Jan 26, 2004, 03:32 AM
No, not all terrain as road, itnores all terrain movement penalties, IE all terrain is like a grassland, so it can move quickly on hills.

TheArchon
Jan 26, 2004, 03:35 AM
Oh, good idea:goodjob:

Walter Hawkwood
Jan 26, 2004, 06:30 AM
Still, I think additional defence (or +1 hp, even better) would make it a real UU. Could implement both, without threats to balance. Compare panzer to simple tank and you'll see what I mean.

erez87
Jan 26, 2004, 07:40 AM
Markava is built for defense, not attack... so change the mech infantry and give it better attack (and that will be defense+attack).

Gogf
Jan 26, 2004, 01:28 PM
How about 24.14.3, +1 HP, ignore all terrain costs? Or should it be 24.16.3, +0 HP, ignore all terrain costs? Every, say your vote.

Walter Hawkwood
Jan 26, 2004, 02:12 PM
The first one. Increased mobility and general survivability (both on defence and on attack) - that's our choice.

Gogf
Jan 26, 2004, 02:51 PM
Okay, I'll make the new version as soon as I can. And I'll use Rabin for this version.

Gogf
Jan 29, 2004, 05:38 AM
Version 2.0 is 90% done! I just need to make a couple last editor changes.

Gogf
Jan 30, 2004, 03:36 AM
Version 2.0 is done! It's not a complete final release, as it still uses Gilgamesh's art for part of it. Also, I don't believe there are any bugs, but if there are please tell me.

Download Version 2.0 (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/Basic_Israel_20.zip)

TheArchon
Jan 31, 2004, 04:27 AM
Goff, edit the first page download, this how its usually done here, from what i saw.

Gogf
Jan 31, 2004, 06:18 AM
Woops, forgot!

TheArchon
Jan 31, 2004, 08:08 AM
Its not working, its looking for rabin.something file then kicks me out of conquest.

Gogf
Jan 31, 2004, 08:41 AM
Oh, darn. I'll fix it as fast as I can.

Gogf
Jan 31, 2004, 09:08 AM
Okay, I think I fixed it :). I had forgotten the ".flc".

Download Version 2.1 (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/Basic_Israel_21.zip)

farrakhan
Jan 31, 2004, 08:29 PM
I thought this was a modern MOD. Is there no original map. It has me picking my starting civ as well as the world/temperature/age, and has me starting in 4000 B.C. Perhaps I've misread the threads but I was under the assumption that this was a modern Isreal Mod with a map of the middle east. Perhaps I've misundrestood or havn't placed the proper files in the proper place. On the bright side the problem with Trevor Rabin has been fixed.

Gogf
Feb 01, 2004, 05:24 AM
Well, this mod isn't exactly a modern mod. But, for a long time I have been going to mod it into SuperBeaverInc.'s Middle East map. I could make a modern version. I'll try to have the modern version done this week (I'm bad at placing cities).

Gogf
Feb 01, 2004, 06:09 AM
Okay, I found some bugs. I corrected some problems with the Merkavah 4, and the tank upgrade. Sorry for making you guys download yet another version.

Download Version 2.2 (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/Basic_Israel_22.zip)

Homie
Feb 01, 2004, 03:03 PM
Farrakhan, a MOD is just a modification of the game. If you want a map and storyline as well, you should check out the Scenario sub-forum :)

TheArchon
Feb 02, 2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by farrakhan
I thought this was a modern MOD. Is there no original map. It has me picking my starting civ as well as the world/temperature/age, and has me starting in 4000 B.C. Perhaps I've misread the threads but I was under the assumption that this was a modern Isreal Mod with a map of the middle east. Perhaps I've misundrestood or havn't placed the proper files in the proper place. On the bright side the problem with Trevor Rabin has been fixed.

This should be intersting, if you take the modern army setting in the middel-east and convert them to civ3, it would be like f-15 vs/ jet fighters, modern armor vs armor, modern infantry vs rifleman or gurialla, missle crusiars vs privateer, about 10 time more GNP economy, its no match at all. Not to mention ICBM(jericho), vs no nuke. and so on...

Luckly, in real life we dont live in civ world.

Gogf
Feb 05, 2004, 01:51 PM
No comments on the new version?

Praetorian
Feb 05, 2004, 06:22 PM

בלי פוליטיקה בבקשה

Praetorian
Feb 05, 2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by erez87
Markava is built for defense, not attack... so change the mech infantry and give it better attack (and that will be defense+attack).

Sorry dude. The Merkava is probably one of the best MBTs in the world. It is definately an offensive weapon

Praetorian
Feb 05, 2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by erez87
Sharon as a great leader (but not THE leader) is just ok!
He led us to many victories at the battlefield.
Bibi (binyamin netanyau) is a VERY rich dude that takes from the poor and give the rich, and mostly himself... You know the regular strong human being... DON'T ADD HIM! he did nothing good.

Ehud Barak as a miliatery great leader can also be added, he did some good miliatery stuff.

And add Izhak rabin, as a SGL and GL as he was a wariar when we needed wariars and a peacemaker when we needed peace...
I know he was assasinated and all that... :(

Need more people? Scientific leader could be einstain... he was a jew, and almost the first president of Israel... lol

Bibi was an officer in the sierat matcal

KurtLae
Feb 06, 2004, 11:09 AM
Well, I can't get it to work.

I have downloaded the version 2.2 file and changed all the files that are included with the old ones.
The new files I just added where I guess they should be (according to your tree structure).

However, when I start a game including the Sumerians I get an error after a couple of turns saying that something is wrong in the pediaIcons.txt file with ANIMNAME_PRTO_Enkidu_Warrior
(I guess it was missing)

After the message, CIV III aborts.

And, yes, I do have Civ III Conquests.

Maybe I just need a guide telling me EXACTLY how I should install the Israeli civ...

/// Kurt

No comments on the new version?

Gogf
Feb 06, 2004, 01:27 PM
Welcome to CFC!

The Sumerians are still included? That's a bug. All you should need to do is unsip the contents of Version 2.2 into your "Scenarios" folder, and then go to "Civ-Content" and then "Basic Israel." If you want to make it your default game, then I believe that is where the problem lies. I'll try to get it to work. I hope to have a 2.3 out by the end of the next week (next friday). I'll probably get it done this weekend though :). Thanks for your responses.

Also, in light of overpowering it, I'm removing the "ignores all terrain penlties" from the Merkavah 4. One extra HP on the best unit in the game is enough to make a good UU, IMO. Any one else have an opinion on this?

KurtLae
Feb 06, 2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks !

It works now.
I just didn't know that I should use "Civ-Content".
I tried by starting a new standard game.

/// Kurt

Welcome to CFC!

The Sumerians are still included? That's a bug. All you should need to do is unsip the contents of Version 2.2 into your "Scenarios" folder, and then go to "Civ-Content" and then "Basic Israel." If you want to make it your default game, then I believe that is where the problem lies. I'll try to get it to work. I hope to have a 2.3 out by the end of the next week (next friday). I'll probably get it done this weekend though :). Thanks for your responses.

Also, in light of overpowering it, I'm removing the "ignores all terrain penlties" from the Merkavah 4. One extra HP on the best unit in the game is enough to make a good UU, IMO. Any one else have an opinion on this?

Gogf
Feb 06, 2004, 05:59 PM
Oh, okay :). BTW, I'm setting up a "PMing list," of people who want to know of updates via PM. Anyone want to sing up?

Current Members:
None

a4phantom
Feb 08, 2004, 01:03 PM
Bibi is a crook but his brother, Yoni Netanyahu the hero of the Entebbe rescue operation, definitely deserves to MGL status.

a4phantom
Feb 08, 2004, 01:08 PM
==Need more people? Scientific leader could be einstain... he was a jew, and almost the first president of Israel... lol ==

Einstein should be a GSL for America, or if you're feeling sarcastic, Germany. (I don't have Conquests yet, but I would assume he's an American GSL?) Young David ben Gurion for a GML, and Old David Ben Gurion for a GSL?

TheArchon
Feb 09, 2004, 01:35 AM
The mod still bugged, it kicked me out at the start of the game because of a missing file. That i cant recall its name now(I've got no time to play).

But anyway, when i pick a civ, its never for its unique units or who is the civ, but for its trait, i prefer india for religion and commercial.

TheArchon
Feb 09, 2004, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Praetorian

Sorry dude. The Merkava is probably one of the best MBTs in the world. It is definately an offensive weapon

It is offensive, but mostly because of its greater speed, that also gives him great defensive capability.

You should know thou, that the US M-2 tank, got more armor then the Merkava.

Gogf
Feb 09, 2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by a4phantom
==Need more people? Scientific leader could be einstain... he was a jew, and almost the first president of Israel... lol ==

Einstein should be a GSL for America, or if you're feeling sarcastic, Germany. (I don't have Conquests yet, but I would assume he's an American GSL?) Young David ben Gurion for a GML, and Old David Ben Gurion for a GSL?

@The Archon: once you get a chance, can you tell me which? I don't have time to test it right now. Thanks :).

OFFSPRING
Feb 09, 2004, 01:57 PM
you can use Haim Weitsman for a seintific leader...

Gogf
Feb 09, 2004, 02:58 PM
Thanks :). I feel like I'm posting that too much in this thread...

pompa
Feb 09, 2004, 03:03 PM
I Have another suggestion...

How about other uu ???

I think that the thing which mostly gives the Israelies Edge is
their Airforce...!!!!

As seen at off of theirs wars...
As seen by the percentage of budget it gets...

I think that they should get some kind of new place maybe (F-16 or Lavi ???) which would have better Air supperority strength, general & bombarment attack strength, range & defence.

They should get it instead of jets.

Tell me what do u think ???

:crazyeye:

pompa
Feb 09, 2004, 03:11 PM
http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/Mekava.htm

Gogf
Feb 09, 2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the link. Not done reading it yet... but on the LAVI, in Civ3, fighters are vastly underpowered, and IMO, a fighter UU would drastically underpower Israel. Is there any way you can think of to make it sort of powerful as an air unit? If you can, I'll definately consider it!

The one problem with using Israel as a civ, is their units have been better than the standard in many fields since 1948 :crazyeye:.

Jethro-tron
Feb 09, 2004, 03:50 PM
quot from the link above :
"With the objective of reducing the development time to a minimum, it was adopted a philosophy of "telescopic development" process. This method is characterized by the start of serial production, based on prototypes, before completion of all development and demonstration stages. So, the last development stages were happening as the production process itself was going on"
Maybe instead of all these things we should lower shield cost for merkava? Lets say that a strong modern city could make it in 1 turn? 90 shields or so?

pompa
Feb 10, 2004, 04:30 PM
Jethro-tron hi,

Well i think u'r totally wrong:

1. No way the Merkava is a Cheap to build. I know it takes a lot of time to build them.

2. There are many cases where this method of development it used (with other names). This method doesn't cause worse outcome. Sometimes its even better:

At the first phase u build the chassis and engine and uses off shelf parts for the more sophisticaed elements. Over time after gainig more experinse u replace the off-shelp part with new ones.

There is no wrong with doing that, this is called PIPE method.

Anyway the operational tanks have gone through all phases...

Last thing,
I don't know why many pepole at this thread thinks that the Merkave have reduced armour for better performance ???

On the tradeoff of MBTs Armour/Mobility/Firepower the thing which the Merkava sets at its highest priority is its Armour !!!

:rolleyes:

OFFSPRING
Feb 12, 2004, 02:10 PM
umm... how 'bout a leaderhead?

Gogf
Feb 12, 2004, 07:30 PM
What do you mean? We are using Yitzak Rabin, as of now.

a4phantom
Feb 13, 2004, 04:01 AM
Couldn't you just give the Merk no penalty from forests, hills, etc? It would still have 3 movement points and three attacks.

OFFSPRING
Feb 13, 2004, 04:07 AM
What do you mean? We are using Yitzak Rabin, as of now.

Rabin appears only in the beginning of the game where you pick a civ.
everywhere else it's Gilgamesh. :(

Gogf
Feb 13, 2004, 05:08 AM
@OFFSPRING: Oh, that's a bug. I'll see what I can do about it.
@ a4phantom: We had before, but with an extra HP, that overpowers it. So, we just gave it three movement.

OFFSPRING
Feb 15, 2004, 01:17 PM
any progress?

Gogf
Feb 18, 2004, 07:39 AM
Some. I hope to release 3.0 in early March :).

Gogf
Feb 27, 2004, 01:27 PM
Um, it's being pushed back to late March, but it will be great! If you have anything you want changed, please tell be here.

jura007
Mar 02, 2004, 05:39 AM
I am very waiting your mod. Please, don't disappoint my expectancies :) :rolleyes:

Gogf
Mar 03, 2004, 04:33 PM
Welcome to CFC!

Don't worry. Do you have any specific requests for 3.0? I'll try to put them in :).

a4phantom
Mar 03, 2004, 06:01 PM
Beduin and Druze commandos!

Sword_Of_Geddon
Mar 03, 2004, 09:49 PM
Maybe Gogf, you should think about making a series Biblical themed scenerios centered around Israel. I know I'd play it.

The first scenerio would be Israel's founding, and you'd have to contend with both the Egyptians(who are trying to reclaim their slaves), and the Hittites, who don't like the idea of a new nation forming right smack next door to them.

Think about it.

Gogf
Mar 04, 2004, 05:30 AM
That is a good idea. Also, we can have the Greek, and have the Israeli UU be the Macabee. Maybe they will start off near egypt with a few peasant soldier, and settlers that look like the captured workers, so they will seem like recently freed slaves. Maybe I can put them just beyond the red sea, with the Egyptians having to go aroung it... Okay, so does anyone have any other ideas for "Freedom for the slaves" (or an idea for a better name)?

I am also still taking suggestions for Basic Israel 3.0.

Sword_Of_Geddon
Mar 04, 2004, 10:07 AM
How about the title for the first scenerio being "The Exodus"?

Ultimately, we'd want to use new units for the Maccabee, perhaps theres a unit model somewhere on Civ Fanatics we could use?

Gogf
Mar 04, 2004, 01:04 PM
The name sounds good. Hm, I'll see what I can "rustle up" for the Macabee, I'll check out the unit directory, and library.

Sword_Of_Geddon
Mar 04, 2004, 08:40 PM
Modern, or close to modern leaders for Israel are to debatable. Perhaps a good leader for Israel would be King Solomon, as he built the first temple in Israel, and historically is regarded as one of the best Kings that Israel ever had.

Gogf
Mar 05, 2004, 05:16 AM
Sounds okay, but what's a good leaderhead for him? It is true, modern leaders are fairly controversial. Okay, if we can find a leaderhead, it sounds okay to me. What about everyone else?

jura007
Mar 05, 2004, 05:28 AM
Gogf

Thanks

I think, that may be interesting scenario, including modern Arab - Israel wars.

jura007
Mar 05, 2004, 06:42 AM

Gogf
Mar 05, 2004, 06:57 AM
Sounds like a pretty good idea (the modern wars), Jura. I don't want to put too much on my qeue yet, so I'll wait to decide if I want to make a scenario for it until I'm most of the way through The Exodus.

Here is the qeue (up to the end of Exodus):

-Begin Work on The Exodus (starts saturday, maybe some preliminary stuff today and tommorow, but not much.)
-Finish Basic 3.0 (will be released in late March)
-Work on Exodus more (once Basic 3.0 is done)
-Finish Exodus

Sword_Of_Geddon
Mar 05, 2004, 09:18 AM
Thanks for using my idea Gogf!

Leaderheads, hmmm, well, theres got to be some hanging around these boards somewhere, if not, maybe Unexisted could help, he's great at making leaderheads.

Gogf
Mar 05, 2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Sword_Of_Geddon
Thanks for using my idea Gogf!

Leaderheads, hmmm, well, theres got to be some hanging around these boards somewhere, if not, maybe Unexisted could help, he's great at making leaderheads.

Okay, if I can't find anything, I'll request one from Unexisted. How do you think Gilgamesh would look?

Sword_Of_Geddon
Mar 05, 2004, 11:50 AM
Gilgamesh would fit pretty well I'd say. If we can't find an orginal leaderlead, we should go with Gilgamesh he looks Israeli enough.

Gogf
Mar 05, 2004, 12:17 PM
Okay. If I can't find one, should I request one from Unexisted, or just go with Gilgamesh?

Sword_Of_Geddon
Mar 05, 2004, 03:48 PM
You could ask him if he has any leaderheads(or is willing to make one) resembling King Solomon. For now though, I think Gilgamesh fits well.

Gogf
Mar 06, 2004, 06:04 AM
Okay. So, Gilgamesh it is in 3.0.

Also, I'm going to remove the ignore all terrain penalties from the Merkavah 4, 1 extra HP on the best unit in the game is enough, and anything more is overpowering, IMO.

Sword_Of_Geddon
Mar 06, 2004, 03:13 PM
Thats fine, we don't want a Super-Unit, just a good one right?

Gogf
Mar 07, 2004, 06:27 AM
Right.

Gogf
Mar 27, 2004, 04:22 PM
Okay, version 3.0 is going to be delayed until we get the Solomon leaderhead (which has been requested). If a significant amount of time (one and a half to two weeks) goes by where nobody says they will make it, I will use gilgamesh.

Rita Poon
Mar 28, 2004, 07:17 PM
:wavey:

Willing to do the leaderhead as soon as I'm finished with my current project. Currently rendering the Khmer leaderhead. Scheduled to complete on Thursday.

Meantime I can figure out clothing. Unfortunately I know almost NOTHING about Israeli culture. But I'm eager to learn! Definitely need your help with ideas for dress, physical appearance, background pictures...

Gogf
Mar 29, 2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks Rita Poon! Well, I'm not exactly sure about what the clothing would be, but I'll look for background images :).

Rita Poon
Mar 29, 2004, 02:00 PM
There should be a ton of pictures providing inspiration for the ancient era. In the modern era, he can dress like a Western businessman. Have no idea how to dress him in the industrial era.

For the middle era, think I should dress him up like a Khazarian king? Would definitely make the leaderhead more usable. But it wouldn't really be very Israeli. OTOH, Abe Lincoln is dressed like a Brit because England & USA are so culturally similar.

Gogf
Mar 30, 2004, 01:13 PM
I don't know what he should look like for the middle ages. Maybe either a Khazar, an Ashkenazic Jew, or a Sephardic Jew. For industrial, maybe we should have him in a military uniform. You know, like with the background as a just founded Israel.

Gogf
Apr 01, 2004, 04:40 AM
Okay, I should have all (or at least most) of the background pictures this weekend.

Sword_Of_Geddon
Apr 01, 2004, 02:41 PM
He should look like either a businessman in modern times, or an Orthodox Rabbi.

The strange thing about Israel is that historically, it has been founded three times! The first by Moses and the Jews during the exodus, the second when the Jews returned from their exile in Babylon, and the third following World War 2!

Homie
Apr 02, 2004, 01:03 PM
Wheren't they exiled when the Assyrians came, and the Persians, or does my memory deceive me?

Gogf
Apr 07, 2004, 01:55 PM
I think the Persians let them back in.

Homie
Apr 07, 2004, 02:33 PM
ok.

But what is happening with the mod? When will the polished version be out?

Gogf
Apr 07, 2004, 03:05 PM
Once Rita Poon completes the leaderhead.

Gogf
Apr 11, 2004, 01:52 PM
Okay, Rita Poon has begun work on the leaderhead!

ThinkerRCB
May 10, 2004, 08:40 AM
Hi guys, I wrote my own Israel mod not knowing that someone had already made one. My mod actually incorporates a lot of the suggestions that people made in this thread. Unlike some other Israel mods that I read about today, mine only has 1 unique unit. All the scientific and military leaders are all ones from the old testament. If you're an old testament guru, you'll like my mod. I tried to make it balanced and interesting while making as few changes as possible to the core rules. Try it out if you like.

I'm Christian, not Jewish but I have a lot of jewish friends who I think are pretty dang cool :D . IMHO jews are among the most intelligent people in the world. I'm also very interested in jewish history so please let me know if I've made any historical errors in my civilopedia entries.

The modpack is at http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=87562&page=1

erez87
May 10, 2004, 08:44 AM
whats this mighty man? a big men? you mean the one who FOUGHT the israelities? lol

ThinkerRCB
May 10, 2004, 09:12 AM
No, they fought on the side of the Israelites. Mighty men is the term used in the old testament to describe King David's elite task force. They were extremelly skilled at war using a variety of weapons, and some of them were ambidextrous. Just do a Google search or read 2 Samuel 10:7, 2 Samuel 23, 1 Chronicles chapters 11, 12, and 19, 28 (this chapter mentions Solomon's temple too)

Homie
May 10, 2004, 04:18 PM
I'll try it out. Thanks.
Couldn't download right now, probably too crowded.

Gogf
May 12, 2004, 02:35 PM
Deleted.

[Text needed to get over minimum...]

Gogf
May 14, 2004, 04:37 AM
Okay, I may release 3.0 before the leaderhead, as it's taking a long time, but I'll still wait a little longer.

Does anyone have any last minute ideas?

Gogf
May 18, 2004, 07:24 PM
Alright, final chance for update requests.

I've decided to use Gilgamesh.

Jono
May 20, 2004, 12:56 PM
how about Ramat-Hasharon as a city?

Gogf
May 20, 2004, 06:12 PM
Okay, I'll add it in :).

Gogf
May 21, 2004, 12:36 PM
Know bugs that will be fixed in 3.0:

Game crashes because of no Merkava 4 small pedia icon.
No Israeli archers.

Gogf
May 25, 2004, 05:23 AM
Okay, R8XFT is actually having David come out reasonably soon, so I've delayed it for him again.

Gogf
Jun 19, 2004, 02:29 PM
Okay, Kind David is finally done! [party] Expect version 3.0 in about a week.

Margim
Jun 21, 2004, 07:32 PM
If you are still interested in a slinger type unit, I found one of kinboats Inca units that actually seemed quite appropriate.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=69379&page=1

soulrver
Jul 28, 2004, 02:07 PM
When is version 3.0 expected to come out?

I'm anxiously awaiting the new leaderhead, and other changes. :)

Gogf
Aug 14, 2004, 12:21 PM
Very sorry about the lack of updates :(. I've been away from Connecticut for a while, and had a very slow internet. Once I get back to Connecticut, I'll have a week at home, at which time I'll finish version 3.0 :).

@Margim: I'm not still looking for a slinger-type unit, as the Merkava is fine. Yes, I saw Kinboat's unit when it came out, but decided against it.

Sword_Of_Geddon
Aug 14, 2004, 02:23 PM
The Macabee is done! Dom Pedro made it and its availible in the embattled holy land unit pack, on the new units board. :goodjob:

Brothers of Isreal...UNITE!

trancer58
Sep 18, 2004, 08:24 AM
Did you checked the mod before you posted it? I only started playing and when I opened the science tree and got to the modern age the game crashed, because it did not find some kind of icon.

Gogf
Apr 10, 2005, 01:43 PM
Version 3.0 has been released!

All bugs and game crashes have been fixed, and the Israelis are now Commercial and Religious.

Download from Website (http://gogf.ath.cx/BI/)

jimkirk
Apr 13, 2005, 07:40 PM
chabibi, make em agriculture and religous .. muhahah

Gogf
Apr 14, 2005, 02:54 PM
chabibi, make em agriculture and religous .. muhahah

Hm... Good point. The Israelis made the desert into good agriculural land, when they were given desert in the 1940's. Probably fits better than Commercial or Industrious, as well. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I'll also be re-do the SGLs in the next version.

ClasuSiosa
Oct 30, 2008, 01:23 PM
I know this thread is technicaly dead but I tried to DL and the Server Not Found massage is displayed and it cant be my computer, all my other internet stuf is working fine.

BadKharma
Oct 30, 2008, 03:08 PM
I know this thread is technicaly dead but I tried to DL and the Server Not Found massage is displayed and it cant be my computer, all my other internet stuf is working fine.
It is because the website that it was hosted on is no longer on the web.

ClasuSiosa
Oct 30, 2008, 05:01 PM
Well is there any other way to get it?

edit: does anyone have a copy?

T.A JONES
Nov 02, 2008, 05:09 PM
Well is there any other way to get it?

edit: does anyone have a copy?

I suggest you use the fully complete and well playtested mod called Far Horizons . There you will find Isreal among a host of other New Civs each with their own new unique units and animated Leaderheads among a list of other additions to lenghy to mention.

Hope that helps, otherwise you might not find what your looking for