View Full Version : 1814 Ad

Dec 10, 2003, 07:57 AM
New gamefile.
We discovered 2 techs last turn, and might be able to do it again this turn (but make sure there are enough scientists to cover up the increase in beaker costs).
No wonders are built, but we have a bunch of food vans recently built and a few in Dou. We also have spaceflight, so I guess we should build Apollo now. Hopefully the new airports makes makes it easier to connect Barbaria with the rest of the world.

So good luck, OldnSlow.:)

Old n Slow
Dec 10, 2003, 11:16 AM
Downloaded the file & will look at it Thursday or Friday. :scan:

Dec 11, 2003, 01:07 AM
If anything's uncertain, don't hesitate to ask about it, but hopefully it's obvious what to do.:)

Dec 15, 2003, 08:44 AM
How's it going?

Old n Slow
Dec 15, 2003, 08:45 AM
[Applause] Thank you, thank you. Fellow civ fanatic citizens, we want to report that the economic news is great. Our treasury is bounteous and the people are so hard working that we announce a tax cut for next year -- no taxes at all! [Applause] Not to be shirked aside, our scientists have outdone themselves as no other nation has done before -- we have discovered two advances this year -- environmentalism AND superconductor! [applause]. Thanks go to the previous administrations and all of our citizens, and now that hard work has reached fruition.

The foreign news is mixed. As you know we stand for peace and freedom, but we stand with confidence -- and we will not stand for being pushed around. When the Aztecs pushed up against us, we demanded that they remove their troops -- and they declared war. Thanks to the foresight of those who led before us, we had strong defenses in place. We emptied out the city of Teno…Tenochi…we emptied out ALL of the Aztec cities and liberated their population -- and now the Aztec nation no longer exists as a sovereign state. [Applause] Their people are now our people.

We met with the ambassador from India -- we demanded that they remove their troops -- and our receptive peaceful status eroded into a hostile state of war. As you know it is safer for our citizens to fight such a war on their territory, so we liberated the cities of Bombay, Madras and after a delay in the hostilities, Karachi. In doing so, the nation of China declared war on us, and we freed the city of Tsingtao to our democratic lifestyle. We took casualties -- a howitzer brigade and a fanatic regiment. We still are in a state of war with one enemy and a hesitant cease-fire that we do not trust will last long with the other. The coming year will see continued action and hopefully a cessation of hostilities.

Speaking of the coming year, we plan to research Stealth for our military efforts. [Applause] We also plan to embark on a new wonder, the Apollo -- a chance to soar to the stars [Applause]


Yup, played one turn so far -- a lot going on. Two techs, the Aztecs gone, and of the 16 Chinese and Indian cities, four are now ours. Fumbled a bit bu allowing a war to slip into a cease-fire (twice) but was able to get one of thse back into a state of war again (via their alliance!) -- Will get another turn in tonight or tomorrow.

Dec 15, 2003, 11:37 AM

How is it that you've been able to goad all of the remaining nations into war, when the previous administrations have tried it in vain over centuries? Could it be that the game is played in MGE, or that you're just that good? Either way is fine by me.:D

Duke of Marlbrough
Dec 15, 2003, 12:48 PM
I guess that should have been mentioned, the game was being played in 2.42, but, I guess as long as all of us have MPG, playing in that won't hurt (if that is what happened?).

Old n Slow
Dec 15, 2003, 02:06 PM
No, I think I was in classic mode (I'll double check tonight). All I did was demand troop removal. Maybe it was the late stage of techs, maybe it was the intent of the player. :lol:

Duke of Marlbrough
Dec 15, 2003, 03:25 PM
I know I demanded they remove troops every turn from every civ when I played, but only the French took the bait.

Did they actually have any troops in our areas when you were asking?

Dec 16, 2003, 01:23 AM
I asked them to leave most turns, but forgot a few. I don't think I have MGE installed, but that could be easily fixed if that's the problem.

Old n Slow
Dec 16, 2003, 12:11 PM
Nope it was classic (I actually hace 2.4.0, but the differences between that & 2.4.2 are minor & ignorable (such as the automated settler effect)).

No I don't recall any of their troops involved at all.

So it could be a) a cumulative effect of others asking (thank you) or b) late tech. I recall decreasing relations after industrialization and dramatically after superconductor. Maybe there is another step after a few of the techs just before & after space flight.

Rather than playing a turn or two here I started the GOTM (and probably played too fast there) last night. Tonight has a couple of RL obligations, but tomorrow is clear -- so there's a 20% chance of reporting action tomorrow and 80% the day after.

Old n Slow
Dec 19, 2003, 01:28 PM
[Applause] Thank you, thank you. Fellow civilization fanatic citizens, we want to report that the economic news is good. Our treasury is bounteous even though our funds balance has dipped from last year. Thus we feel that the one year tax cut has achieved everything we desired and now it is time to return to more prudent fiscal activity. (pause, and after hesitation, light applause.)

Yes, we did fund some expensive projects last year. Many airports were constructed and two special projects were completed that I’d like to share with you: The first was the great wonder of the Apollo program (Applause). The second was the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (Applause). Together, these two projects will carry us forward to heights never dreamed of by the rest of the world.

And we must mention the sorry state of the rest of the world. We are still at war with India. We conquered their capital, Delhi, but these people refuse to listen to reason; we will not rest until our people are safe from this menace.

In China, our Senate pushed for an end to the cease-fire and we are now at peace (Applause). It is a nervous peace, however, as our military intelligence reports units disguised as diplomats moving forward to endanger our population. Not only will we be ever vigilant, we are announcing today a new military program, the production of Stealth Fighters (Applause).

That’s right. Our scientists have discovered Stealth technology, allowing us to live with a greater level of safety and confidence. In addition, our scientists have discovered Fusion Power, thusleaving us no excuse not to go to the stars! (Thunderous Applause).


Yup the senate helped us out -- no diplomatic actions available for the rest of the turn. I’ve played a few moves of the next turn already, and was able to demand troop removal (with a response of WAR, going from Receptive, Peace to hostile/war. After taking Chengdu & Razing Canton, it is now Enraged/War.)

Dec 20, 2003, 05:56 AM

We seem to have plenty of options, stars and blood. Has project AC begun yet?

I've always had the feeling that Receptive is the most fragile of all peace time attitudes, but have never had it confirmed?

Old n Slow
Dec 23, 2003, 10:23 AM
Message to the Union, 1817

This will only be a short speech -- as we turn over the reigns of government to our successor. We have achieved much in our short tenure, both domestic and foreign, and we feel that the world is a safer and richer place due to our efforts. First the foreign front -- War erupted again in China, we liberated Chengdu to our way of thinking but the stubborn resistance in Canton chose to die to the last person rather than embrace the ideals of freedom.

As of now, we exist in a state of war with both China and India, and our forces are preparing for final assaults next year.

We have also built our first spaceship, designed to travel to Alpha Centauri. Our scientists assure me that this mission will be successful although it will take many years to transverse this distance. My successor can choose to launch this bird, or as some of my advisors contend, augment this so it can reach its destination even faster.

As you know, we spent down our treasury significantly to achieve this. And as you know the Senate was against this -- so much so that I resign my office until such date that it is the will of the people to decide where and how I will best serve them in the future.


Yup -- a spaceship is there for the launch. I feel that one of the long standing players should have the honor of the launch, and the coup d’ grace regarding our fellow nations.

Dec 26, 2003, 05:53 AM
I think we should build more on the SS to reduce the time (although I can't see how long time it will take since it's not built yet)

Great on killing of the enemies.:)

It's DoM's turn to play next, but I'm off until 7th of January, so if you're busy I can probably get time for it.

Duke of Marlbrough
Dec 27, 2003, 10:28 AM
I'll play what I can to day then turn it over to funxus. :)

India exists no more. Spaceship is completed enough to launch if wanted. Nice planning to build it all in one turn Old n Slow. :goodjob:

I think we should hold off on any spaceship launch until we capture/build any outstanding Wonders.

Dec 27, 2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Duke of Marlbrough
I think we should hold off on any spaceship launch until we capture/build any outstanding Wonders.
I agree.

Dec 28, 2003, 08:09 PM
build temples at Holywood, Loot and Karachi! he gods have to be worship before all!

and stop doing that stupid flying thing u call SS! we shall achive total victory on our dear planet that god gave to us.


build more Fanatics in the GHL, we need to preserv our integrety!

i will join a map to help u:

Duke of Marlbrough
Dec 29, 2003, 01:56 AM
Next Turn Thread (