View Full Version : Diplomatic victory

magicshane
Dec 12, 2003, 03:46 PM
How do you win a diplomatic victory? I know it has to do with an election but when is the election, do I have to be in the election, if i'm not in the election, can I still win etc? I ask because in my current game i'm in the year 930ad and have the highest score but everyone is annoyed with me and the Incans are furious because I keep declaring war and sueing for peace over and over. Can I still win? Please help.

gunning1
Dec 12, 2003, 03:51 PM
You have to build the United Nations. (Your country does) Once it's finnished, about every turn after, a message pops up asking if you want to hold an election for president (or whatever) of the United Nations. If you hold the election, and win, you win the game by a diplomatic victory. (I believe :))

magicshane
Dec 12, 2003, 03:56 PM
Can I still win if I don't accept the election? If I don't hold the election, does that mean someone else will be elected leader and I will lose? I don't think in this game I will be able to win a conquest game (still have all 7 civs in the game and it is the year 930) but I can still win by domination, culture (even though I don't have any great wonders I still have the best culture), or histographic win.

SuperBeaverInc.
Dec 12, 2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by ps2master2001
Can I still win if I don't accept the election? If I don't hold the election, does that mean someone else will be elected leader and I will lose? I don't think in this game I will be able to win a conquest game (still have all 7 civs in the game and it is the year 930) but I can still win by domination, culture (even though I don't have any great wonders I still have the best culture), or histographic win.

By declining to hold a vote, all that happens is that the vote is delayed another twenty turns. It is impossible to win a diplo victory without you or whoever built the UN from holding a vote.

capslock
Dec 12, 2003, 04:54 PM
If you hold a vote, and lose, do you lose the game? I can't remember.

warpstorm
Dec 12, 2003, 05:02 PM
If you lose the election it is game over.

The Economist
Dec 12, 2003, 05:18 PM
But remember, someone needs a *majority* of the votes to win, not just more than any other candidate. So if there are 9 civs, and 3 are in the election, a civ will win if it gets 5 votes or more. Period, end of story.

The requirements for being "on the ballot" so to speak is that you have at least 25% of the world's territory OR population. If the UN is in one of your cities, you get to be a candidate no matter what.

Basically, I like to build the UN just so that I can block any elections from happening, since the AI's usually aren't too fond of me.

Kubla84
Dec 12, 2003, 11:27 PM
I finally got a diplomatic victory today
regent level, standard world, 6 opponants, playing as portugese
http://home.fuse.net/kubla/CIV3con.jpg