View Full Version : bug BETA patch: culturally linked starting locations

André Alfenaar
Dec 26, 2003, 06:41 AM
There is a bug with the culturally linked starting locations in the BETA patch. I have started an epic game with the Dutch 3 times while using this patch. Each game my neighbours were the 'America'-civilizations (Aztec, Iroquois...) instead of the regular European ones. I have verified that the preference 'culturally linked starting locations' is on.

Commander Bello
Dec 26, 2003, 06:46 AM
Did you have European nations in that games? (Either by 'random' or by selecting them on the front screen)

The Last Conformist
Dec 26, 2003, 06:57 AM
Checked in the Editor if the Dutch have ended up assinged to the 'American' cultural group?

André Alfenaar
Dec 27, 2003, 06:51 AM
I have started with 'random civs'. I am not accustomed to the editor. What file should I check? I only find a conquest.biq. But nothing about civilisation traits in there.

I have reinstalled CIV Conquests with patch 1.02. Everything is fine in there.

André Alfenaar
Dec 27, 2003, 07:15 AM
I have found the entry for the civ traits in Conquests.biq (I hope this is the right file?) At version 1.02 The Netherlands are part of the culture group 'Europe'. After installation of patch 1.12Beta this culture group is still 'Europe'. But during gameplay of an epic game this setting seems to be overruled. American civs everywhere. Maybe the conquest 'Age of Discovery' overrules this setting inadvertently for the epic game?

Chieftess
Dec 27, 2003, 07:32 AM
Moved.

Also, remember to upload the all important game save! :D

daavik
Dec 28, 2003, 01:32 AM
I have noticed the same problem since installing the 1.12 beta C3C patch.

Playing as the French on a standard pangea map with 7 AI civs on regent. All FIVE American civs are present, along with the Zulus and only one other European civ - Portugal. Not only that but the civs that surround me are all American (America, Aztec and Iriquois). Portugal is on the other side of the planet. I also noted that in the espionage and score screens the American civs are listed first but I am sure pre-patch your cultural group civs were listed next to you and then the others. I realise that there is always a chance that you can get one or two American AI civs when playing a non-American cultural group in a game with 8 civs but to have all five in the one game coupled with Portugal being so far away makes me think something else is going on.

Sample save below
save (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/Daavik_French_1070AD.SAV)

Edit - Just to make it clear I did choose France but the AI civs were all set to random on the selection screen.

Ramalhão
Jan 17, 2004, 09:58 PM
Yesterday I created 3 games in row. Standard map with 5 random civ, while I chose Portugal. First two attempts, all 5 random civs were american. The last had "only" three american civs.
Details: Always hitting the button "all random" and then changing two to "none". I also change world seed, each attemp a new word. Never 0 (that should be random).

Isak
Jan 18, 2004, 04:34 PM
The Portuguese are seafaring and forced to start near coasts, and this seems to be what throws the game off. I haven't tried, but it's unlikely this can be reproduced with a non-seafaring civ. In the savegame posted, the selected civ was of course France, who are not Seafaring, but the only other European civ is Portugal.