View Full Version : Civilization III Fixes (PLEASE READ)

Pages : [1] 2 3

sk0tie
Nov 01, 2001, 11:11 AM
Hello,

I've been reading up on the forums for Civilization III and see quite a few of you are having trouble with the game. I work for Infogrames Tech Support, and belive you me, the phones are off the hook on this one! :confused:

Before you go and blame Firaxis or Infogrames for the problems some of you are having with the game, please make sure you try this stuff first.

First off, make sure you are running the latest drivers for your sound card and video card that support DirectX 8.0 and DISABLE 3RD PARTY APPLICATIONS! In Win98/ME you click on start, goto run, and type in MSCONFIG, make sure SELECTIVE STARTUP is enabled, and LOAD STARTUP GROUP ITEMS is UNCHECKED, and reboot your computer. :D

If you encounter the "Out of Range" or "Out of Sync" message from your monitor, find out what type of monitor you have, and install the CORRECT .INF for your monitor. DO NOT use "Default" or "Plug and Play" driver from Microsoft, this is what is causing the problem. GO MICROSOFT! :goodjob:

Do a Windows Update! You have no idea how many problems this fixes! :lol:

If you continue to have problems with the game, go ahead and post them to this thread, I'll do my best to work it out with you.

sk0tie
Infogrames, Inc
Tech Support North America

Vinc
Nov 01, 2001, 11:14 AM
Thanks for posting here!

BTW, I need some advice: would CivIII work with WinXP and a Geforce MX2 64mb card? I plan buying these two products soon...

sk0tie
Nov 01, 2001, 11:25 AM
Yes they will bud! :) Those are the two things I run on my home system, works great! Just make sure you are running 21.83 drivers or newer if you buy that card. The game has problems with the 12.41 and lower.

Have Fun!

sk0tie
Infogrames, Inc

Gargantua
Nov 01, 2001, 11:27 AM
The latest drivers for Nvidia video cards do not seem to be consistent with Civ3. As many people reported older ones work much better. Thats what I did too and have no problems now.
By the way for those who have nvidia cards, you can get older drivers here: http://www.3dnews.ru/download/drivers/nvidia/

I use now 12.41, works great.

P.S. you can also look here:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31206

Vinc
Nov 01, 2001, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by sk0tie
Yes they will bud! :) Those are the two things I run on my home system, works great! Just make sure you are running 21.83 drivers or newer if you buy that card. The game has problems with the 12.41 and lower.

Have Fun!

sk0tie
Infogrames, Inc

Thanks a lot! I'll have fun for sure :D :D ;)

sk0tie
Nov 01, 2001, 11:34 AM
I have had no problems with DetonatorXP drivers, there may be some other issue behind them not working correctly. The only thing I can tell is most people that have GeForce cards also have Athlons, and with Athlons come Via Chipsets.

Update Via 4in1 drivers from www.viatech.com

Happy Civ'ing :)

sk0tie
Infogrames, Inc

King Rude
Nov 01, 2001, 11:44 AM
Hi-

Game won't run on Win2000 Dell Latitude with plenty of everything and latest drivers. Get Civ III splash screen then exit back to Windows.

Any idea what's up?

sk0tie
Nov 01, 2001, 12:08 PM
If you have already updated all the drivers and tried the above information, please state everything you know about your computer, and I'll see if there is something I can do for you. :D

This goes for anyone that needs some help, Goto Start Menu, Run, and type DXDIAG and get this information:

Under System Tab:

Processor and Speed
Total System Memory
DirectX Version

Under Display Tab:

Video Card Name
Manufacturer
Approx. Total Memory

Under Sound Tab:

Sound Card Name
Manufacturer

I will also need the driver version numbers of the sound and video cards, which can be found in the Device Manager. (Right-click on properties of My Computer)

sk0tie
Infogrames, Inc

BaconLewis
Nov 01, 2001, 12:12 PM
I am experiencing and I've heard others are experiencing very slow (multi-second) lag on scolling on the map. I've heard varying reports on how to fix this (one suggestion is to go to older Detonator drivers). Any word on this?

System:
Dual Celeron 500
Windows XP
256MB RAM
GeForce2 MX400 Video

-Bacon.

King Rude
Nov 01, 2001, 12:35 PM
Here's the specs you asked for on the issue of the game not starting on my laptop:

Dell Latitude running Win2000

Processor and Speed P3 500mhz
Total System Memory 128mb
DirectX Version 8.0

Under Display Tab:

Video Card Name ATI Rage Mobility M-1 AGP 2X
Manufacturer ATI
Approx. Total Memory 8mb

Under Sound Tab:

Sound Card Name ESS Maestro 3
Manufacturer ESS

I will also need the driver version numbers of the sound and video cards, which can be found in the Device Manager. (Right-click on properties of My Computer)

Sound driver v5.12.1.1146
Video driver v5.0.2195.4027

Thanks for any help you can provide.

sk0tie
Nov 01, 2001, 12:58 PM
I will look into it when I get a chance, remember, my first job is Infogrames Phone Tech Support, I do this in my free time :)

BaconLewis
Nov 01, 2001, 01:00 PM
I will look into it when I get a chance, remember, my first job is Infogrames Phone Tech Support, I do this in my free time :)

I hear ya, I used to work in Tech Support a long time ago and I am certain that it shaved years off my life :). Thanks for coming to the forums, it would be nice if Infogrames had some forums of their own, but oh well. thanks for the help!

-Bacon.

Axraxes
Nov 01, 2001, 01:36 PM
King Rude I had the same problem as you are describing. I normally run my screen resolution at 1024x768 and use True Color (24 bit) for number of colors. I found that I had to reset my resolution to 640x480 and lower my number of colors used to High Color (16 bit) or 256 colors. Once I made these changes the game ran fine after the splash screen.

Am looking forward to sk0tie's reply.

sumociv
Nov 01, 2001, 02:19 PM
Hi-

Game won't run on Win2000 Dell Latitude with plenty of everything and latest drivers. Get Civ III splash screen then exit back to Windows.

Any idea what's up?

I had the same problem on a similar system, until I changed my res to 1024 X 768.

good luck.
----sumociv

sk0tie
Nov 01, 2001, 02:24 PM
OCRAWARE does not disable when turning off 3rd party applications. After you disable 3rd party applications and reboot, CTRL-ALT-DEL and manually END-TASK Ocraware.

Ocraware directly uses the Fonts in windows, and from previous experience, too many fonts cause the registry to corrupt. I have fixed two calls now reguarding this problem.

One user had 700 fonts. I instructed him to remove atlease 350 of those fonts, and to my suprise, this fixed the problem with broken text.

The game needs to access the Lucidia Sans font within the first 256 Font Entries.

Hope this helps, I am still working on the issues from the previous posts, please bare with me! :D

Trash22
Nov 01, 2001, 02:33 PM
One thing I have noticed with some other postings on other sites as well as my own experiences with Civ3 is that there seems to be a problem with the way the game polls to see which settings to use with the graphics cards.

The intro blink movie worked fine. The small portion before the blink intro and the menu screens after the blink video would display as if the refresh rate was incompatible with the monitor.

By experimenting with my display settings I was able to reproduce the the graphical "mess" by setting my refresh rates to 120hz.

From reading on the net I discovered that I would be able to fix this problem. The way to do this was to find the settings in the regestry dealing with the graphics card. I then removed the settings corrisponding to the higher refresh rates. (I removed the 100,120,80,85 hz options)

It appears from looking through the regestry that when the graphics card is installed it places entrys in the regestry for all resolutions and all refresh rates that the graphics CARD itself is capable of. (even if the system is not capable of running them)

The listing in the regestry seems to display them ordered not numerically, but ordered alphabetically, meaning instead of putting them in numeric order of 65,70,75,80,85,100,120 the regestry would display them as 100,120,65,70,75,80,85.

If the game were to pull the first settings it came across, it would pull the refresh rates that were physically to high for my monitor, and hence the "mess" that was displayed on the screen.

Please dont missunderstand, I am just posting information to hopefully help with this problem, not as an attack.

I have it running on my ststem now, and enjoy the game very much (just wish I had more time to devote to it lol).

Cheers,

Trash

sk0tie
Nov 01, 2001, 02:57 PM
Thank you trash! I will IMMEDIATELY forward this to the development team!! :D

Thank you all for the help, we are working around the clock for answers to these critical problems, please keep it up! :D

Dearmad
Nov 01, 2001, 06:32 PM
Hey, WOW skOtie- way to do good PR for Inforgrames. Thanks a lot for posting in here and (I assume) reading posts in other threads regarding tech probs as well. Probably a good place for you guys to get ideas as to solutions, huh?

Now make sure you take some time out to play the game that's paying your keep! :king:

sk0tie
Nov 01, 2001, 06:35 PM
Well nobody else in the department really does this, I just use it because it seems to me if you are on the internet looking up information, you seem to know your computer pretty well, and it makes it really easy for me to gather information about peoples computers.

In response to Trash, could you tell me where in the registry you found these refresh rates?

Thank you all again! :)

Meneer Popken
Nov 01, 2001, 07:09 PM
I had the refreshrate problem as well, and edited my registry because I was unable to find or create a proper .inf file for my screen.

For me the refreshrates were in the normal order: 60,70,72,75,85,100,120. I just removed the highest ones that don't work with my screen.

They were at HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/NV4/Device0
The key was NVVANTA_Modes and keytype was REG_MULTI_SZ

This is for an NVidia Vanta card.

Btw, for those that have the same problem and don't know enough about the registry or fixing your pc when you don't have a screen: Don't mess with the registry (or make a backup before changing, and remember very well how to get into vga mode at bootup (F8))

pansophy
Nov 01, 2001, 07:25 PM
Okay...some people here are saying to update the video driver for the NVIDIA video card and some are saying to go with an old driver.

I'm running 2k and run the movie fine, but then get a blank screen. Do I want an older driver or a newer one.

Also, what key is the registry info for the monitor??

Thanks.

sk0tie
Nov 01, 2001, 09:51 PM
ok, ive already posted how to fix the 'Blank Screen' AKA: OUT OF RANGE/SYNC problem.

Download the latest .inf file for you monitor. You cannont use Default or Plug And Play .infs provided by microsoft unless your monitor is a specific type that can handle a really high refresh rate.

www.windrivers.com has a really nice way of looking up all the drivers for you computer.

sk0tie
Nov 01, 2001, 09:53 PM
btw, i confirmed the registry entries that you can change, good job Trash and meneer, thank you for the help! :D

if you cannot find a correct monitor.inf for your monitor, try this as a last resort, as you can really screw your computer up if you dont know what your doing in the registry.

Nishdog
Nov 02, 2001, 12:26 AM
Quoting sk0tie:
First off, make sure you are running the latest drivers for your sound card and video card that support DirectX 8.0 and DISABLE 3RD PARTY APPLICATIONS! In Win98/ME you click on start, goto run, and type in MSCONFIG, make sure SELECTIVE STARTUP is enabled, and LOAD STARTUP GROUP ITEMS is UNCHECKED, and reboot your computer

I ran MSCONFIG like you said and disabled "load startup group items" and this fixed ALL my problems (well except that I'm unemployed and broke...hehehe). In fact, after the game started working, I enabled the startup group again, and the game still worked! So now I have it all!
One question though: can I play the game without the game disc in my CD-ROM? I don't mind forgoing the audio and advanced video options for the convenience of not having to put the disc in each time i want to play

Trash22
Nov 02, 2001, 06:04 AM
Trying to do this from work, so hopefully im sending you to the right area. I believe I found this in :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet

do a search for :
{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
(this seems to be a common key for display. This key worked for both an NVidia card I believe it was, and for my own Voodoo3 2000 card.)

May also be found in several locations, I changed the regestry in 2 different locations, and only for the 1024X768 screen resolutions (So i have to remember not to change them ingame or ill be back to square 1 8) ).

Wont be home till early Saturday to be able to give you any more specifics, hope this at least points you in the general direction for the registry settings.

WARNING TO OTHERS READING--------->
As stated above, backup your registry before attempting to edit it. If you make a critical error and save it, your system might never start again.

cheers,

Trash

Trash22
Nov 02, 2001, 06:07 AM
That will teach me to post without reading the last few replies ;)

I hadnt seen mention of the fixes a few posts above, but for those die hard tweakers that want to go take a look enjoy ;)

Trash

pansophy
Nov 02, 2001, 10:31 AM
Okay, so I think I found the registry key that I need to edit to keep my monitor from being set to a refresh rate that is too high.

Here are my problems _ first, I can't see far enough to confirm that the 1024x768 resolution is there _ I already pulled the window over as far as it will go (I've included a picture with the window NOT pulled over as far as it will go so that you can see the ... at the end.

It shouldn't matter actually, except when I go to modify, it displays everything in binary I think, which I have no idea how to edit.

Am I missing something simple?? Thanks.

pansophy
Nov 02, 2001, 10:32 AM
Sorry, I can't get more than one pic at a time

pansophy
Nov 02, 2001, 10:33 AM
last one showing the edit value screen

Meneer Popken
Nov 02, 2001, 11:00 AM
pansophy: you can scroll down with the scroll bar to see all the resolutions.

format will be something like:
8 640 480 60 70 72 75 0
8 800 600 60 70 0
16 640 480 60 70 72 75 0
16 800 600 60 70 0

The first number is the color depth, 8 bit, 16 bit or 32 bit, civ3 uses 16 bit. Then the next two numbers are the resolution, 1024x768 is common. the numbers after that are the refresh rates, except for the last 0 which means it's the end of the line.

To fix just overwrite all the high numbers that don't work on your pc with spaces (20 00 in hex), you'll have to leave 60 as a bare minimum.

The edit screen has two sides, a hex side and a normal side, try selecting a bit and you'll see.

View attached picture for more details (be sure to pick the right set of data, not necessarily the same as shown).

pansophy
Nov 02, 2001, 11:12 AM
Thanks Meneer :)

I thought I would try one more thing before hacking a registry I couldn't read. My 17" monitor is so old that the drivers available from the manufacture didn't included mine. I opened up the .inf in notepad, found a newer 17" and looked up the specs listed on their website to see if I could find the values listed in the .inf file.

The only meaningful values in the file were the max resolution and the horizontal and vertical scan frequency ranges.

I created new entries for my monitor everywhere there were entries for the newer version and just replaced the values with values from my monitor's user manual, and installed the homemade driver.

That worked :goodjob:

Now all I need is sound :(

System ofa Down
Nov 02, 2001, 04:49 PM
I just bought civ3:love:
But everytime I start the game and it gets to the Infogames intro it stops responding:cry:
I need help Please:(

sk0tie
Nov 02, 2001, 05:02 PM
Update your video and sound drivers. We think it may be a sound issue, but not certain. If this doesnt work, go into the Civ3 directory and under /Art/Movies/ delete the intro.bik.

Should work! :D

System ofa Down
Nov 02, 2001, 05:34 PM
Thank you,:D
you are the king!:king:

glory
Nov 02, 2001, 06:50 PM
There is another post on this in the forum, but I figured I'd bring it up here anyway. It seems that a lot of people with high-powered processors, Windows XP, and nVIDIA based cards (my comp included) are having trouble with general in-game lagginess. At first I thought it was just a really demanding game, but now I don't think this is true, since people with much less powerful computers are running it without hitches.

System Specs:

Windows XP Professional
PIII933 Mhz Processor
32MB nVIDIA TNT2 M64
384MB RAM
Sound Blaster Live! Value 1024

I'm generally a well-organized user; the only things I have running in the background are Norton Personal Firewall and Norton Antivirus (both v. 2002). Yet this game is giving me hell in terms of lag. The general solutions posted seem to be "Downgrade your drivers!" but as that would give me a definate performance hit from the newest Detonator XP drivers, which are optimized for XP, I'm not terribly enthusiastic about this option. Any alternative ideas?

glory
Nov 02, 2001, 09:18 PM
update: using detonator version 22.50 helps slightly, but the scrolling speed is still bad.

deanstow
Nov 02, 2001, 09:38 PM
I was experiencing the slow game play. It was very slow. I had wait times between turns long enough to read paragraphs in the manual. I followed advice in this forum to use ctrl-alt-delete and end task to stop everything except Explorer and Systray. I also closed everything in the system tray except the volume control using right click and picking the entry out of the pop up menus.

This sped the game up considerably.

I just thought some of you might like to know that there is hope.

I did not change ANY drivers.

:beer:

Napoleon Hitler
Nov 02, 2001, 09:51 PM
Can you pass along this info to the people involved in making patches for Civ3, please?

1. Add a sentry or sleep command for the units like there was in Civ2 and SMAC.

2. Make the game more 16 civ friendly. By this, I mean that all the displays and lists that usually only show up to 8 civs at time should be altered to show up to 16 at a time.

Thanks

Good game, btw. :goodjob:

queeg
Nov 03, 2001, 04:15 AM

If you encounter the "Out of Range" or "Out of Sync" message from your monitor, find out what type of monitor you have, and install the CORRECT .INF for your monitor. DO NOT use "Default" or "Plug and Play" driver from Microsoft, this is what is causing the problem. GO MICROSOFT! :goodjob:

What's the problem with a default monitor? I have played the latest and greatest games (Return to Wolfenstein et al) on my monitor with zero, repeat zero problems. Then, Civilization 3 comes along and refuses to work with a default/Plug-and-play monitor? Why does only this one game have a problem? My monitor is a "Vision Graphics VG177P", and there *is* no "driver" (.INF file) for it. It works fine, 100% of the time. I can't return the game...will the maker refund my money, or did I get jipped out of $53?

macadamizer
Nov 03, 2001, 02:24 PM
I'm with queeg above. Every other game I play works just fine with my setup -- I have an old (about 5 years old) monitor, Athlon 1.4/512 MB running Win 2000, GeForceII MX-400 64MB, and I don't even get the opening video -- just a little spot in the center of the screen, which then goes black as the music plays on. I have tried installing drivers for the monitor (I *think* they are the right drivers, it's hard to tell with an old no-name monitor from Taiwan), I've tried the registry tweaks with the regular PnP driver, still nothing. Very frustrating.

I am not about to go out and buy a new monitor just to be able to play this one game. Unfortunately for me, I bought the game Friday night, so I can't talk with anyone from support until Monday...

If anyone else has any ideas, I am all ears.

macadamizer
Nov 03, 2001, 03:12 PM
One more thing -- tried using the compatability layer, and the game won't load at all regardless of which compatability layer I chose. Also, when I switched back to not using the compatability layer, the game STILL wiouldn't run. I disabled the compatability layer, uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and it still doesn't run.

Also, I notice now that I can only get Unreal Tournament to run in safe more (no hardware accelerations) -- DOH! Any ideas? I guess it is time to reinstall some drivers...

Cunobelin Of Hippo
Nov 03, 2001, 05:40 PM
Hey sc0tie, thanks for your time :goodjob:

My copy won't even startup :(

I recieve an error message that starts off...

CIVILIZATION3 caused an invalid page fault in module -DF394B at 015f:10025231.

Registers:

...and then it lists a ton of numbers. Anyone know what I should do?

Delor
Nov 03, 2001, 09:07 PM
Here's a problem I've seen before with the "reduce the number of fonts" fix, but it didn't work. Civ 3 installs on a machine fine, loads through the video sequence and the initial menu. I click on "New Game" and select the world generator settings. From the world settings, click "Next", and before the select civilization screen would come up it crashes with a windows error; "details" gives "Divide error" and all of the register settings. (EAX, EBX, etc.)

The machine has:
256 MB RAM
GeForce2, latest nVidia drivers (from nVidia website)
SBLive, latest drivers
Win98SE with all windows updates installed

Initially it also had about 380 fonts installed, but reducing it to 240 and rebooting didn't help. I've also tried (although I've no clue why this'd do anything) setting the display to 640x480x8 before loading the game with no success. Nothing but winamp and AIM running in the background.

Fortuanatly for me, I installed it on another box and it works, so I'm not suffering too badly. Oddly enough, this box is almost identical except it has an AMD processor instead of an Intel and has 384 MB RAM; same vid card, sound card, and drivers. Runs fine on the second machine, again with winamp and AIM in the background. But it'd be nicer if it worked on the machine I wanted it to run on and I've seen posts in other forums with the same problem so any fixes you could suggest would be appreciated.

[Edit: Both have the latest version of DirectX as well]

Ashoka
Nov 03, 2001, 11:16 PM
Civ III won't run on my laptop, either.

I get the splash screen, then the message:

"Civilization 3 has caused an error in
~DF394B.TMP
Civilization 3 will now close.

Sounds very similaer to the error Cunobelin Of Hippo reported.

Running a Compaq Armada E500 with Windows ME. All upgrades for Windows ME, video drive and sound are installed.

Ashoka

macadamizer
Nov 03, 2001, 11:54 PM
An update to my update above -- reinstalling my NVidia drivers got Unreal Tournament going again, but still no Civ III...

Meneer Popken
Nov 04, 2001, 07:12 AM
The error in ~DF394B.TMP is most likely caused by the copy protection, search for an unwrapper for safedisc 2.40.10 in google, or get an already unwrapped game exe.

Ashoka
Nov 04, 2001, 07:34 AM
The error in ~DF394B.TMP is most likely caused by the copy protection, search for an unwrapper for safedisc 2.40.10 in google, or get an already unwrapped game exe.

Thanks, Meneer - I'll try this. - my copy is 100% legit, so odd that it would do this -

Will let you know how it works.

Ashoka

Ashoka
Nov 04, 2001, 10:03 AM
Good call, Meneer - after runing the 'un-safedisk' program, Civ III is up and running great!

Thanks so much for your help.

Ashoka

pansophy
Nov 04, 2001, 10:06 AM
I don't know if this will help anyone, but I made my own monitor driver based on my manufacture's newer stuff, as a specific driver for my monitor wasn't available.

Anything that starts with HR-1708 I created, everything else was there already. I used the other entries as models, and actually the only values I had to change were:

maximum resolution = 1280x1024
horizontal scan frequency range = 30-65KHz
veritical scan frequency range = 50-100Hz

You can see where I entered these values below. Everything else I simply copied from their newer 17 inch monitor (HR-70).

I installed the driver and Civ ran for the first time on my 2k system.

Good luck everybody

;Moniotr INF file for Digiview monitors
;Copyright 1995, Digiview Electronics Co., Ltd.

[version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"
Class=Monitor
Provider=%Digiview%

[Manufacturer]
%Digiview%=Digiview

[Digiview]
%HR-40%=HR-1435, Monitor\HR-1435
%HR-1435%=HR-1435, Monitor\HR-1435
%HR-50%=HR-50, Monitor\HR-50
%HR-1510%=HR-1510, Monitor\HR-1510
%HR-70%=HR-70, Monitor\HR-70
%HR-70P%=HR-70, Monitor\HR-70
%HR-91%=HR-91, Monitor\HR-91
%HR-1708%=HR-1708, Monitor\HR-1708

[HR-40]
DelReg=ClearPrev.DelReg
AddReg=HR-1435.AddReg

[HR-1435]
DelReg=ClearPrev.DelReg
AddReg=HR-1435.AddReg

[HR-50]
DelReg=ClearPrev.DelReg
AddReg=HR-50.AddReg

[HR-1510]
DelReg=ClearPrev.DelReg
AddReg=HR-1510.AddReg

[HR-70]
DelReg=ClearPrev.DelReg
AddReg=HR-70.AddReg

[HR-91]
DelReg=ClearPrev.DelReg
AddReg=HR-91.AddReg

[HR-1708]
DelReg=ClearPrev.DelReg
AddReg=HR-1708.AddReg

[ClearPrev.DelReg]
HKR,MODES
HKR,,MaxResolution
HKR,,DPMS
HKR,,ICMProfile

[HR-91.Addreg]
HKR,"MODES\1600,1200",Mode1,,"30.0-95.0,50.0-160.0,+,+"
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1600,1200"
HKR,,DPMS,,1
HKR,,ICMProfile,1,7

[HR-1435.Addreg]
HKR,"MODES\1024,768",Mode1,,"30.0-50.0,47.0-104.0,+,-"
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1024,768"
HKR,,DPMS,,1
HKR,,ICMProfile,1,7

[HR-50.Addreg]
HKR,"MODES\1024,768",Mode1,,"30.0-56.0,47.0-104.0,+,-"
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1024,768"
HKR,,DPMS,,1
HKR,,ICMProfile,1,7

[HR-1510.Addreg]
HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"30.0-70.0,47.0-104.0,+,-"
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1280,1024"
HKR,,DPMS,,1
HKR,,ICMProfile,1,7

[HR-70.Addreg]
HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"30.0-70.0,47.0-104.0,+,-"
HKR,,DPMS,,1
HKR,,ICMProfile,1,7

[HR-1708.Addreg]
HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"30.0-65.0,50.0-100.0,+,-"
HKR,,DPMS,,1
HKR,,ICMProfile,1,7

[Strings]
MonitorClassName="Monitor"
Digiview="Digiview"

HR-40="Digiview HR-40"
HR-1435="Digiview HR-1435"
HR-50="Digiview HR-50"
HR-1510="Digiview HR-1510"
HR-70="Digiview HR-70"
HR-70P="Digiview HR-70+"
HR-91="Digiview HR-91"
HR-1708="Digiview HR-1708"

glory
Nov 04, 2001, 10:35 AM
People, before giving away instructions on how to bypass the cd-protection, ever thought that some of the people asking for them have illegal cds? If they're determined it's not difficult to find out how to do it, but its the casual copying that we're trying to prevent. Good day to you.

Zoroaster
Nov 04, 2001, 10:50 AM
Help! After seeing the Civ 3 Splash Screen, the program drops back to windows. I know other people have reported this problem, and have been on the phone with tech support about the issue.

My system specs are:

AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz
512 Mb RAM
ViaTech Motherboard w/latest 4-in-1 driver
80 GB WD Hard Drive
GeForce 3 Video w/ 2183 Detonator driver
Soundblaster Live! Value w/ 4.11.01.0628 Driver
Viewsonic 17GS monitor with appropriate driver
AOpen DVD-1640 Pro
Plextor PX-W1610A CD-RW with latest firmware driver

I've turned off startup programs, adjusted hardware acceleration, toggled DMA on the drives, and deleted the opening movie, all with no result. The best I can do is make the splash screen stay around for ~5 seconds insted of 1.

Any inspiration on how to get my program up and running?

Ashoka
Nov 04, 2001, 12:36 PM
People, before giving away instructions on how to bypass the cd-protection, ever thought that some of the people asking for them have illegal cds? If they're determined it's not difficult to find out how to do it, but its the casual copying that we're trying to prevent. Good day to you.

While I agree, as one of the people w/ a perfectly legal copy of Civ III that could not get the game to run due to glitchy protection software, I was glad to get the info. My initial calls to tech support did not resolve the problem. (I wonder if tech support will have to tell people how to break the CD-protection as a fix--- what a quandry!!)

This has happened before in the software world - copyright protection that made software unusable for legit owners.

I'm sure it will all work out soon - too many people who buy the software and can't use it will clog the tech support lines, and a fix will be in the works.

Peace -

Ashoka

pansophy
Nov 04, 2001, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by glory

I'm not sure if this is directed to me, but I bought my copy and my previous post is how I got it to work in 2k...

Ramon
Nov 04, 2001, 04:28 PM
I'm not sure it's said yet, but if you get the OUT OF SYNC error and you can't find the .INF files for your monitor or you don't want to edit the registry, just use 1024*768@75Hz drivers that are available in windows. They work fine.

glory
Nov 04, 2001, 04:50 PM
no flame intended. It's just that a lot of people with non-legit copies are likely browsing the boards, and they might as well make a <i>little</i> effort in finding out how to crack the game :-)

Zhukov
Nov 04, 2001, 05:24 PM
The funny thing about copy protection is that it never affects pirating - it only gives trouble tro legit users?

Why you ask? Because pirates (ARGH!) know thier stuff a lot more the your everyday legit gamer. Any pirate (ARGH!) knows how how get around SafeDisk 2.0 - I find it funny that so much effor was spent of Safe Disk 2 (and it is one ingenious protection). But it took them what? a week maybe to get around it? So much for that...

Your paying legitimate user on the other hand will likely experience problems because of the reoocurring clusters that arent read properly by some older CD-ROMs and newer firmware.

I really dont understand why they bother. If somone wants to pirate the game - they will - and that is that. They should spent money enforcing piracy fines OR (heres an idea!) make the games NOT ridiculously expensive to begin with so more kids dont bother with gamecopyworld. Just a thought!

Meneer Popken
Nov 04, 2001, 06:20 PM
People, before giving away instructions on how to bypass the cd-protection, ever thought that some of the people asking for them have illegal cds?

Illegal cds don't have safedisk on them, only legal users will ever be troubled by buggy (and still expensive) copyprotection. And both people said they had an error in ~DF394B.TMP, safedisc will not give such an error when using an non-cracked illegal copy, it will just ask for the cd.

damunzy
Nov 04, 2001, 08:44 PM

But we care not to return the money and lost time to the people that have purchased real copies of the games that just happen to have those few CD-ROM drives or other pieces of hardware that have problems with the copy-right protection devised by game companies.
Don't get me wrong, I believe that the game companies deserve to get their monies worth and be able to sell the game without worrying about people pirating the games but why can't they seem to get the software protection right? Why are we forced to load the software on our hard drives and yet are still required to place the CD-ROM disc in the drive? I paid my 59.99 USD.
Why can't I get a NoCD crack?
I can.

damunzy
Nov 04, 2001, 08:58 PM
First off, make sure you are running the latest drivers for your sound card and video card that support DirectX 8.0 and DISABLE 3RD PARTY APPLICATIONS! In Win98/ME you click on start, goto run, and type in MSCONFIG, make sure SELECTIVE STARTUP is enabled, and LOAD STARTUP GROUP ITEMS is UNCHECKED, and reboot your computer.

Let me say first, thanks sk0tie. I didn't have a warm and fuzy before about Infogrames (Maybe it was that horrible song they made? Anyone remember that POS!?!) but knowing that there are real people working their asses off trying to make this and other games work correctly makes me feel a whole lot better.

Second. Do not update your drivers unless you are having problems!!! I cannot warn this strongly enough. I just updated my video driver for jokes and laughs and I am just now starting to have problems with Civ3 and the graphics. I had the default Windows XP Professional *beta* drivers for my Matrox G400 Max video card and then I upgraded to 5.72.021*25oct01*. I started having screen garbage (the screen turns into a mess of thin lines of multiple colors) problems right after I rebooted after the new driver update. This only seems to happen when I have Civ3 running in the back ground and I switch between programs using the Windows key.

derdriux
Nov 04, 2001, 09:06 PM
Has this been a problem for anyone else?

Civ3 ran just fine on my HP Pavilion Pentium III/Windows ME system until (first game) my Civ made the jump from Ancient to Middle Ages. Then it gave an error message and crashed -- fairly cleanly -- though it did leave the desktop set up for 800 X 600 whilst actually in 1024x768 (16-color).

This doesn't strike me as likely to be a display or driver issue, am I right? (Anything's possible though).

FWIW, in the game as played I had all Ancient techs except for Monarchy.

Regards,

derdriux

PantherX
Nov 04, 2001, 09:11 PM
Well, I've tried everything here, short of the regedit stuff, which I could probably do if I felt like taking two hours translating hex code.

I don't.

I'm getting the No Screen error dealy after the intro movie. GF2MX, Athlon 1.2 Tried new drivers, tried older drivers... etc. Nothing works. The stupid map editor works fine though. Heh.

Thanks anyway. :crazyeyes

Hoside
Nov 04, 2001, 10:39 PM
I tried to load my saved games and it said "Datal0 operation system error: CNSL" "Cannot read file". Is there a reason for this and is there anyway to fix it?

sk0tie
Nov 05, 2001, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Cunobelin Of Hippo
Hey sc0tie, thanks for your time :goodjob:

My copy won't even startup :(

I recieve an error message that starts off...

CIVILIZATION3 caused an invalid page fault in module -DF394B at 015f:10025231.

Registers:

...and then it lists a ton of numbers. Anyone know what I should do?

Try updating your cdrom drivers, older cdrom drives tend to have problems with the cd protection, if not, try a different cdrom drive.

:)

sk0tie
Nov 05, 2001, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Ashoka
Civ III won't run on my laptop, either.

I get the splash screen, then the message:

"Civilization 3 has caused an error in
~DF394B.TMP
Civilization 3 will now close.

Sounds very similaer to the error Cunobelin Of Hippo reported.

Running a Compaq Armada E500 with Windows ME. All upgrades for Windows ME, video drive and sound are installed.

Ashoka

same issue as before, update your cdrom drivers or try a different cdrom drive, the game has some issues with older cdrom drives (including laptop drives) and the cd copy protection.

:D

KloePoek
Nov 05, 2001, 04:10 PM
i still have the problem that scrolling is a freaking slideshow... don't really have problems with turns taking too long... about 40 seconds in the later phase of a 16 player huge map

already installed the 22.40 Detonators...

my sys specs

pentium III 667 Mhz
TNT 2 Pro (overclocked 20 Mhz or sth
256-133 MB ram
full install
windows 2000 SP 2
Nvidia Detonator 22.40 (the latest)

macadamizer
Nov 05, 2001, 04:15 PM
Just an update --

I reloaded all of my video drivers, then selected the 1024x768 75 Hz Windows driver, and the game seems to work okay so far. Has anyone tried it with any of the higher resolution 75 Hz Windows drivers? I usually run higher res for daily usage, and I would rather not have to keep installing and reinstalling video drivers just to play Civ...

joe75
Nov 06, 2001, 12:58 PM
I pre-ordered the Limited Edition of Civ 3 from ebgames and unfortunatly due to having to travel I finally got to load the game this weekend. When I try to run the typical install on my computer I get about 75% done then it gets stuck on a wav file and gives me a data redundancy error and then aborts. I then Tried to load the game on my laptop and it got about 90% complete then asked me to insert the disk with the 03data.cab. Which was no where to be found on the disk. On the good side of things i was able to load the minimal install on both systems and it runs fine on both. If you need the full specs on the issue I will send them later. Unfortunatly I am at work so I cant give more details right now. Thanks for the help.

FrankyR
Nov 06, 2001, 03:46 PM
I have the same problem as Zoroaster, after the splash screen the it quits to the desktop with nothing running. I have closed all programs, I am running in 1024 x 768 16 bit colour.

Here's my system info:

Under System Tab:

Celeron 667 mhz
64 mb Ram
DirectX 8.0

Under Display Tab:

Intel 82810E Graphics Controller
Intel
5.5 mb

Under Sound Tab:

ESS Allegro

joe75
Nov 06, 2001, 04:28 PM
sk0tie,

The exact error message I recieved while trying to do a typical install was as follows:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Component: Min Install
File Group: Minimum Install
File: G:\sounds\build\ancient\AncMEd.wav
Error : Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
SYSTEM SPECS:

Processor and Speed - PII 400
Total System Memory - 256mb
DirectX Version - 8.1

Display:

Video Card Name - SiS 300/305/630/540/730
Manufacturer - SiS
Approx. Total Memory - 32mb
Driver Microsoft - 5.1.2001.0

Sound:

Sound Card Name - Crystal WDM Audio
Driver Microsoft - 5.1.2535.0

Again thanks for your time and help. I am just glad I could atleast run the minimum install and play the game.

Zoroaster
Nov 06, 2001, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FrankyR
[B]I have the same problem as Zoroaster, after the splash screen the it quits to the desktop with nothing running.

I have fiddled with my system, and updated all of my drivers, including my CD-ROM firmware. The only thing I have found that works was to use a Civilization3.exe file that was modified to bypass the CD copy protection. Using this file, the game ran smoothly.

My drives are an AOpen DVD-ROM and a PlexWriter 16/1/40, and are <6 months old. I shouldn't be having to worry about a problem like this with new drives!

FrankyR, do you hear your CD drive whir after the splash screen, as if it's trying to do something but not reading? That was my first hint that the disc accessing might be problem.

Thanks,

Zoroaster

pansophy
Nov 06, 2001, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by PantherX
Well, I've tried everything here, short of the regedit stuff, which I could probably do if I felt like taking two hours translating hex code.

I don't.

I'm getting the No Screen error dealy after the intro movie. GF2MX, Athlon 1.2 Tried new drivers, tried older drivers... etc. Nothing works. The stupid map editor works fine though. Heh.

Thanks anyway. :crazyeyes

If you are in Win 2k run regedt32 instead of regedit and I have been told you get something you can read and modify rather than hex.

Notice that the "i" is missing from regedt32 to keep it to 8 letters.

damunzy
Nov 06, 2001, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by pansophy

If you are in Win 2k run regedt32 instead of regedit and I have been told you get something you can read and modify rather than hex.

Notice that the "i" is missing from regedt32 to keep it to 8 letters.
My suggestion would be to stick to regedit. regedt32 came with NT3.x and isn't as nice as regeit. of course your experience may vary :)

FrankyR
Nov 06, 2001, 08:33 PM
Zoroaster, ya my CD drive is spinning, I'll try working with the CD drive a bit.

FrankyR
Nov 06, 2001, 09:18 PM
I found an altered exe to get around copy protection, and it WORKED!!! I can play the game now, I'm sooooo happy.

Somebody should say something to Firaxis, I souldn't have to get around the copy protection on a cd that I bought from Walmart!

Sisyphus
Nov 06, 2001, 10:23 PM
Intro video runs fine, then screen goes black and
music plays. Cannot get back to Windows - I have blindly
hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and ALT-S and it restarts the system.

Have tried the 640*480 256 colors start to no avail.
Have started at 1024*768 16 colors and put KeepRes=1
into ini file - still have the same problem.
Tried the Video Mode=1024 line in the ini file,
still can't get it started.

Admittedly the video card far outclasses the monitor
in resolutions and refresh rates. However, if I knew
how CivIII registers the resolution and refresh rate
I could get it to use the correct one for the monitor.

Have Norton Utilities and DirectCD shut down.

Decline the opportunity to tinker with my registry.

PLEASE HELP - $ 50.00 worth of intro screen is not
my idea of a game!!!!

--------------
From DXDiag Text: This is what I have.
--------------
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service Pack 2
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
Processor: Intel Pentium III, ~500MHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: 3dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo Series Driver
Manufacturer: 3dfx Interactive, Inc.
Chip type: 3dfx Voodoo 3
DAC type: 3dfx Internal DAC
Device ID: Enum\PCI\VEN_121A&DEV_0005&SUBSYS_0036121A&REV_01
Display Memory: 16.0 MB
Current Mode: 800 x 600 (32 bit) (72Hz)
*****Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor (17" IBM C70 2118-3A3 - IBM has no drivers for it!)
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: 3dfxvs.dll
Driver Version: 5.00.2195.0232 (English)
DDI Version: 7
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 11/2/2000 14:00:02, 545264 bytes
Driver Certified: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: 6/1/192
VDD:
Mini VDD: 3dfxvsm.sys
Mini VDD Date: 11/2/2000 14:00:40, 169840 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71CFA-4345-11CF-4271-A528AEC2C835}
Vendor ID: 0x121A
Device ID: 0x0005
SubSys ID: 0x0036121A
Revision ID: 0x0001
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Not Available

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold
Device ID: ISAPNP\CTL009e_DEV0000
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: ctlsb16.sys
Driver Version: 5.00.2160.0001 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Certified: Yes
Date and Size: 10/23/1999 08:10:34, 141904 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Microsoft
HW Accel Level: Full
Registry: OK

Mad Russian
Nov 06, 2001, 10:57 PM
is it just me or is it that civilization 3 is still in beta stage?
i naver seen a game with so many serious problems in the first week

Axraxes
Nov 07, 2001, 08:29 AM
It's not just you Mad Russian. I've been thinking the same thing since I purchased it and ran into two technical glitches I had to find work arounds for before it would run. Most people posting here have better hardware than I do and are reporting even bigger problems. Did they do any testing before they released this? Sk0tie is a poster on these boards who claims to work for Firaxis support and said in one post that they were getting hammered. Not a big surprise.

Just another example of rushing to meet the deadline and ending up releasing a product before it's ready. Unless they were on the edge of going bankrupt, there's really no excuse for this. It's typically understood in this industry that a release-date is never set in stone - they could have postponed the release. Postponing it would have been less of a black eye then releasing it prematurely is turning out to be.

Remember those old commercials? (Dang I can't remember the company, was it Gallo?) "We will sell no wine before it's time." I wish that sentiment carried over to other companies.

gorilladf
Nov 07, 2001, 11:39 AM
*****Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor (17" IBM C70 2118-3A3 - IBM has no drivers for it!)

I had video problems until I put the drivers in for my monitor. Lord knows what firaxes has done. No other game has been quite so picky.

Try to borrow a 14" monitor from somone and try it out.

Also try reinstalling DirectX 8.0a

hope it helps.

Sisyphus
Nov 07, 2001, 12:19 PM
Let's see - I pay $50.00 for a game program.
It doesn't work out of the box, so I should
rearrange my hardware to make *their*,
apparently buggy efforts work properly.
I think not!!!

Mayhaps they should have spent part
of the two years development time making
sure the damned thing works. Perhaps
they should have found out that the
drivers for older monitors won't work and
give the user a means of tuning the game
to the monitor's capabilities. My system meets
all of the published requirements and the
program still doesn't work and it appears I
am not alone.

Maybe Faraxis or Infogrames - who already have my
money - should include drivers or perhaps
a new monitor for everyone who purchases
this "Get it out and to hell with the customer"
wonder of progamming. It really sounds like
Firaxis took a page right out of Microsoft's software
release book!!!!!!!

There are some here who are, apparently, willing
to take the chance of rendering their computer
into a set of bookends by tinkering with their
registry. WHY ??? Isn't that the job of Firaxis to
tinker with *their* software to make it compatible
with systems which meet the minimum requirements??
Or maybe the minimum requirements are just another
marketing comeon to get you to buy the program whether it
will actually work or not????

Let's Have A Patch - REALLY FAST - that allows me to
tune the program to my system instead of the other
way around !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad:

big D
Nov 07, 2001, 01:19 PM
Thank you tech support!

My problem was from the OCRAware running while i was trying to play. I couldn't get even get started because i kept getting a windows error when trying to start the game. When i tried a quick start game the words were scrambled.

It now works just fine!

pwarnk
Nov 07, 2001, 04:36 PM
see my post Older Monitor Drivers

best of luck

gorilladf
Nov 07, 2001, 05:53 PM
Sisyphus:

Like I said in another post, WWIIO blows away any software release in history for BUGS. Worst release ever! So this is nothing. I merely said to try another monitor, becaus eyou can't seem to get one for the IBM you have.

World is full of tis in the business end as well. Have you ever looked into some of the M$ solutions on technet knowledge base? Worst advice I can imagine. They even contradict themselves. You ca neasily trade this game to someone else if you don't wish to play it anymore.

sk0tie
Nov 07, 2001, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Sisyphus
Let's see - I pay $50.00 for a game program.
It doesn't work out of the box, so I should
rearrange my hardware to make *their*,
apparently buggy efforts work properly.
I think not!!!

I suggest you go complain in another forum. I started this thread to explain the bugs and fixes Me and the rest of Infogrames has figured out. I am trying my best to help people, not just on the phone, but even people on these boards out of my own free time.

Again, read the whole thread before you go and attack Firaxis or Infogrames, we are working on the issues. If you would like you can call Infogrames technical support and I will be happy to help you directly over the phone.

Thank you all again for the help! :D

Sisyphus
Nov 07, 2001, 07:00 PM
sk0tie:

I think your efforts here are WONDERFUL.

It took my son writing -See "Black Hole Of Death" thread - to write a generic driver that overcame my problems. Why isn't something included with the game to get the resolution problem under control??

I have no idea where else to place such posts. I sent an e-mail through the support page of Infogrames and still do not have a response.

I am sorry if I have consumed space and time which potentially could have been put to better used, but I was simply looking for help wherever I could find it.

Have a Happy Day !

CoolLizy
Nov 07, 2001, 07:40 PM
Hi! I was hoping you could help me out. First, my basic system specs:

- 350 AMD Processor
- 126mb of Memory
- Windows 98
- 32mb AGP video card

Okay, here's the problem. I'm sure it has o do with the fact my ol' motherboard is about to give out... Anyhow, I'll be playing just fine and dandy for awhile when the drum-like conformation sound begins to repeat endlessly, usually while on the diplomatic screen. After this, the game usually locks-up within a few seconds or so.
Also, a related tidbit. If you start the game in a resolution below 1024x768, the game will reset the resolution like it should, but the task bar ends up floating around in the middle of the screen... Quite weird, anyhow.
Thanks in advance if someone help me out. :)

Hed-jak
Nov 08, 2001, 03:52 AM
pwarnk has got the way to fix this, his homeade inf file worked like a charm on my w2k box (monitor was 6yrs old...)
asus doolie p3-800
512ram,nvidia geforce2 mx 32MB

jdurg
Nov 08, 2001, 09:21 AM
Hey sk0tie. First of all, thank you for showing up at the message board to lend a hand. The game works just fine for me, and I have really had no problems getting it to work. (P3 1.0 GHz, 256 megs PC100 RAM, GeForce2 GTS 64MB DDR video card.) It is nice seeing the company that made the game providing support. I also post on the High Heat Baseball message board, and after going through the crap on that board, it's nice to see a helping hand. (I.E. HH2002 was FILLED with bugs, yet 3DO refused to fix any of them. It's nice knowing that Firaxis/Infogrames cares about their customers. Keep up the good work!

Kolath
Nov 08, 2001, 05:47 PM
First of all, I would like to sincerily thank you, sk0tie for your excellent work here. You have really helped to restore my faith in Firaxis/Infogrames!:goodjob:

But unfortunatly I have a problem... I have found that after entering the Industrial Age I cannot load saved games. The transition to Industrial Age works fine, but if I try to load any games saved during the Industrial Age I get the following error:

DataIO operation system error: CITY

I am still able to load games saved prior to the transition. My specs are: 500 mHz Celeron, 128 mb ram, 1 gb free disk space, Voodoo3 video card, SBLive! Value soundcard, Win98.

I know that someone else earlier had a similar problem but it was never addressed... hopefully you or someone else will be able to solve my problem! Thanks a million!

-Kolath

Tmf123
Nov 09, 2001, 03:47 PM
CoolLizy : You are not alone.

My problem is most likely the same that is plaguing you. Thankfully I can start the game up with no problem and actually play for a while.. But now it is crashing every 15 minutes without fail. I played a game on chieftan with a small map and was fairly isolated with my opponents. In fact, I didn't even make contact with other civilizations until the 1700's. Before that, the game only crashed once or twice (and about 6-7 hours of playing). From what I remember, one of the times was when I double clicked a unit, another time was when I was in a city screen and was trying to fortify one of my units. Then I came in contact with the Aztecs (who crushed me by the way), and crashing seemed to be much more frequent. Sometimes while in diplomacy screens the hard drive would start chewing endlessly and the music and sound kept repeating and getting badly distorted.

Now today I started another game as chieftan and I came in contact with other cultures fairly immediately. Diplomacy screens have been popping up often, and all of the crashes (about 4 or 5 in a few hours of playing) have either occured during the diplomacy screen or later on in that same turn after a diplomacy action was completed.

On the technical side of things, I have noticed something unusual. I use a 250mb partition of my hard drive dedicated solely to the Windows swap file and in the past 2 years have never gotten a message saying that partition was out of space. While playing Civ 3, this occured. Windows should not do this as it manages the virtual memory and doesn't allow it to grow endlessly. I have even specified to make the maximum virtual memory space as 200mb on that drive and it still crashes. From this it seems like Civ 3 is wildly wasting system resources or generates an excessive amount of information in the swap file. I don't know if this is because of an incompatibility problem with the K6-2 processor or something else. But looking at both of our system configs, the thing both CoolLizy and I have in common is a K6-2 350 processor.

My system config:

AMD K6-2 350mhz
64 mb memory
DirectX 8.0
Windows 98 SE

Diamond Monster Fusion (Voodoo Banshee) 16MB AGP
using 3dfx Voodoo Banshee drivers, v. 4.11.01.1222

Creative SB-Live Value
v.4.06.00.0711

Thanks sk0tie for your support and I hope you might have some insight into our problem.

CoolLizy
Nov 09, 2001, 08:15 PM
It's probebly Windows fault. Oh well, I put the game on the system I'm on now (I had it install on my own computer which I don't use for the 'net), and it works much better. It's a 450Mhz.
Try turning off the music, it works better that way. Too bad, though, the music's pretty good, even if the ol' Civ them isn't around still.

october
Nov 10, 2001, 05:31 AM
SKotie,

You are doing an awesome job!

Thank God I was able to have no major problems with the game. The only ones I had were just little nuicanse things that come up once in a while.

One thing is that in a city display, if you try tp update a unit by right clicking, then click another unit too fast, it locks up and you have to turn off your computer. WIthout auto save on, you lose your game. I did this about 3 times before realizing to just click in the diplay more slowly and then it never happens.

The weirdest thing happened yesterday: I was playing Civ3, and then got up from my computer to do something else without saving or quitting out of the game. After 20-30 minutes my monitor shuts off to save power. When I came back and moved my mouse or pushed a key to get it back on again, all the little lights on my monitor flashed and the diplay would not come up. I had to reboot my computer and then it was fine. Not a big deal; I'll just remember to save and quit.

Skotie, here's just a simple question not related to really technical stuff.... and anyone is free to answer who can help
It's about autosave...my question is if you have autosave on, will it create a new file every turn when it saves, or will it overwrite the same file, only one file for each actual game you have going? I don't really have a space issue on my 30gig hard drive, but I could see how people may get concerned since these save game files are massive. Also, if it creates a new file for eath turn, there could be hundreds in your directory when the game ends...is there a cap on how many files there will be before overwriting the older ones? Someone answer my stupid question please...I might want to turn on my autosave to help me with some of these unexpected lockups.

JBearIt
Nov 10, 2001, 08:13 AM
I tried posting this question in a different thread the day that the game came out but the proposed solution didn't work so now I'm trying here:

The game plays fine but when I quit, you can hear the hard drive working and then the computer just locks up. Usually the CivIII map screen remains as the image but I can't do anything to get out. In addition, I can't click on anything. Control-Alt-Delete will not get me out of the program and as a result I have to just turn off the computer. Then everytime I boot up with my computer I have to deal with the warning that I didn't shut down windows properly. I can't imaging that having to do this everytime is good for the long term health of my computer. Any suggestions?

By the way I have set screen resolution to 1024 x 768 (although that wasn't the typical setting I was using before I purchased Civ III). I have a Gateway 2000 Pentium II, 450 MHZ. An EV700 monitor. 3dfx VoodooII 3d graphics accelerator, and 128MB RAM.

King Rude
Nov 11, 2001, 10:34 AM
SKotie:

Thanks for all your efforts so far. I've never gotten a reply through Infogrames "official" channels about the game not working with my laptop CD-ROM drive.

You seem to be saying in previous posts that you realize the copy protection prevents the game from running on many laptops, even those from mainstream manufacturers like Dell. Is this the "official" response? Is there any intention to provide a fix?

I'm a little disappointed that the suggestion seems to be to get a new CD-ROM drive, when the one I'm using is less than six months old.

Frankly, this seems to be a major cop-out on Infogrames part.

Let me know if there's anything else I can try besides hacking the copy protection like others have been forced to do.

Thanks ...

King Rude
Nov 11, 2001, 10:43 AM
One more thing ...

I would suggest adding "Not for Use on Laptops" to the minimum system requirements listed on the box.

System ofa Down
Nov 11, 2001, 01:01 PM
Skotie, thank you for your time and Mind.
I would like to tax them both once more(you helped me once before)
Civ.3 was working well for me for a while(one week). Then one day it stopped working. The first screen would come up in the middle of my desktop but it would just go away and nothing would happen. Them it stopped even coming up, and when the CD runs the play button doesn't work., but all of the other buttons do work. I can't figure out what has happened.
Please help me.:confused: I don't know that much about computers

Håkan Eriksson
Nov 11, 2001, 06:41 PM
PLEASE HELP!!!!

I got a realy bad problem! It happens every time I play and it can be annoying. It comes when I try to quit playing. I move my hand towards the ESC button but then every time the phrase "Just one more turn..." pops into my mind and my hand moves to the ENTER button insted and I have to play one more turn.

Any idea how to get rid of this bug???????

My computer have the following thing in it:

Processor: Intel Pentium II, MMX, ~300MHz
Memory: 64MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)

Video Card name: RAGE PRO TURBO AGP 2X (English)
Manufacturer: ATI Tech. - Enhanced
Display Memory: 4.0 MB

Ecept this bug I have mention everything is working fine.

Suvorov
Nov 11, 2001, 09:06 PM
Any word on when us unworthy ones can expect a patch? At least give us a small one to fix the <expletive deleted> annoying broken air superiority?

october
Nov 12, 2001, 07:00 AM
Air superiority is "broken?"

That sucks. I didn't get there yet. It's the 1700's in my game now, and this is the farthest I got in a civ3 game. I hope I don't get that industrial age bug that others got.

Poulin
Nov 13, 2001, 10:54 AM
I posted it under another thread bu had no answer. Some help here ?

I cannot play very long, ( around five to six minutes, like 50 turns)because my system freezes, and I have to restart the computer. Maybe the computer tries ti access the CD ROM because I hear a sound for some time (i waited an hour). Some others have the same problem, but i did'nt read about any fix. Could it be a copy protection problem?

I have a Windows XP system with NTFS, 768 Meg Ram, 61,4 Gig Hdd, Ati Radeon 64 ViVO with the most recent drivers, SoundBlaster Live X Gamer with new drivers, Optical Intellimouse ABit motherboard, Intel Pentium III 866eb, Pioneer DVD drive, no CD writer.

I tried the tricks suggested on the Civ3 site for Windows XP, i.e. I tried to run it in Windows 2000, 98, et 95 compatibility modes unsuccessfully. Also in 256 colors and 640 resolution

Il looks like it stops when it tries to autosave, but I am not sure, because it is then frozen.

Did bomebody have the same problem? Does somebody have a fix? HELP!!!

Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Nov 13, 2001, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Kolath
First of all, I would like to sincerily thank you, sk0tie for your excellent work here. You have really helped to restore my faith in Firaxis/Infogrames!:goodjob:

But unfortunatly I have a problem... I have found that after entering the Industrial Age I cannot load saved games. The transition to Industrial Age works fine, but if I try to load any games saved during the Industrial Age I get the following error:

DataIO operation system error: CITY

I am still able to load games saved prior to the transition. My specs are: 500 mHz Celeron, 128 mb ram, 1 gb free disk space, Voodoo3 video card, SBLive! Value soundcard, Win98.

I know that someone else earlier had a similar problem but it was never addressed... hopefully you or someone else will be able to solve my problem! Thanks a million!

-Kolath

Kolath,

This bug has been fixed in the patch which should be available soon. Keep your affected savegames, as they should work again once the patch has been released.

Dan

sk0tie
Nov 13, 2001, 02:01 PM
Dan,

Do you have any word on the problem with the SafeDisc problem and some cdrom drives? It is not always laptop systems, I have taken 5 or 6 calls from people that have fairly new brand name cdrom drives like Acer and such.

I know you're probably just as busy as me, but any help would be very appreciated on the front line. :)

There is also a new gamplay issue I just ran across where you cannot percision bomb with the f-15 or stealth bombers. I worked around this by having the customer hold down the 'P' key then clicking repeatedly on the target and it would bomb, otherwise it would just display an invalid icon over the city.

Just scrounging for help, it is really starting to get crazy on the phones and email over here! :D

Thank you for any help you can provide!

FrankyR
Nov 13, 2001, 05:59 PM
Poulin, I had a similar problem (though not as severe) where it would freeze for about three minuites while it tried to access the cd rom. My suggestion is to turn off the music in the options menu, that helped for me.

Spirit Fire
Nov 13, 2001, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

Kolath,

This bug has been fixed in the patch which should be available soon. Keep your affected savegames, as they should work again once the patch has been released.

Dan

Dan,
Will the patch address the scrolling problem for nvidia card with the newer detonator drivers in XP as well?

Timothy R. Winters

Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Nov 13, 2001, 09:33 PM
Dan,

Do you have any word on the problem with the SafeDisc problem and some cdrom drives? It is not always laptop systems, I have taken 5 or 6 calls from people that have fairly new brand name cdrom drives like Acer and such.

I know you're probably just as busy as me, but any help would be very appreciated on the front line. :)

There is also a new gamplay issue I just ran across where you cannot percision bomb with the f-15 or stealth bombers. I worked around this by having the customer hold down the 'P' key then clicking repeatedly on the target and it would bomb, otherwise it would just display an invalid icon over the city.

Just scrounging for help, it is really starting to get crazy on the phones and email over here! :D

Thank you for any help you can provide!

sk0tie,

Speaking personally, many thanks for the pro bono help you've been providing over here, I really appreciate it.

I don't think there is much we can do about the safedisc problems -- we just implement the stuff, we didn't design it, so I don't know that we can really do anything with a patch to solve those problems.

I know with previous games (SMAC) the publisher (EA) made all the decisions regarding copy-protection (whether to use it or not, what API was to be used, etc.) , I don't know if that's the case here, though. Generally publishers own the rights to the games, so they get to call the shots :)

I'm pretty sure the precision bombing bug is going to be fixed in the patch. Don't take that as gospel, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Other stuff, like the nVidia driver issue, is a gray area. From what I gather Civ isn't the only program that is having problems with the latest Detonator drivers, so hopefully nVidia is addressing it. I think we've put in some calls to them, but I don't know of any solution on our end yet other than just rolling back to earlier drivers.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out here!

Dan

october
Nov 14, 2001, 08:34 AM
Poulin,

Perhaps a temporary fix, if you don't feel too strongly about keeping it on, is to turn off autosave. It can be turned off in the preferences menu. I don't have mine on simply because I don't want a huge pile of large save files in my folder.

King Rude
Nov 14, 2001, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

I don't think there is much we can do about the safedisc problems -- we just implement the stuff, we didn't design it, so I don't know that we can really do anything with a patch to solve those problems.

I know with previous games (SMAC) the publisher (EA) made all the decisions regarding copy-protection (whether to use it or not, what API was to be used, etc.) , I don't know if that's the case here, though. Generally publishers own the rights to the games, so they get to call the shots :)

Dan

I guess that's the non-answer on the faulty copy protection. I'm interpreting Dan's statement to mean that there's no intention to provide a fix for the Safedisc BS.

OK, so I've downloaded unsafedisc but I can't figure out how to use it. Can anyone point me in the right direction for instructions?

Thanks...

Ericovan
Nov 15, 2001, 10:51 AM
First, I wanted to say thanks for even dropping by the forum. :)

However, I hear in the forum that air superiority is not working; is there a fix or intended fix :confused:

cavemanf16
Nov 15, 2001, 02:20 PM
Ok, for everyone who's tried everything in the world to try and get Civ3 working, you need to go here, first of all: gamecopyworld.com (http://www.gamecopyworld.com)

Pick any one of the mirrors to get to the main site

There will be a 'new games' section at the top of the main page. The bottom line directly below this section contains a link to 'Games Index'. Click on this.

A monsterous list of games will be displayed. Scroll down and find 'Civilization 3' and click on that. Follow the instructions to get the cracks for civ3. (I couldn't get the two zip files to work - wouldn't unzip - but the .ace file worked fine for me).

(You can also find Black&White in this list, and it uses the same lame copy protection mechanisms that Civ3 uses).

Now what really pisses me off, is that I paid the full 49.99 for Civilization 3 (and B&W, which had the exact same problem), and although my computer has more than enough adequate power and up to date equipment to run those two games without a problem, there is NO documentation ANYWHERE to indicate a copy protection scheme, by a third party software company none-the-less, is being used to "protect" Civ3 or B&W! Maybe I wouldn't notice if Win2k wasn't so finnicky with my DVD-ROM drive and this particular copy protection scheme (I have NO problems with other software titles), but now I'm mad. Why should I have to download an "illegal" crack to a software title that I legally purchased the licensing rights to?! Please, skolkie, if you have any common decency, make the Civ3 development team provide a crack to the copy protection in their upcoming game patch. Copy protection, as you can see from my instructions above, is easily circumvented, and all it is doing is pissing off those of us who love the Civ series and HAVE ALREADY PAID decent money for the software and hard work that the Civ3 team put into this product.

Thankfully, this post should never be removed from the board because I'm not actually transmitting "illegal copy-protection circumvented Civ3 software", and it's been proven in court that providing a link to other sites is not a "circumvention device" per the DMCA.

Have at it folks!

Kardinal
Nov 15, 2001, 04:42 PM
sk0t, I'd like to add my thanks to the chorus you've gotten here so far.

I'm having a problem with sound on Civ3. I figured it was due to drivers, but I'm wondering if it's teh case.

Here's teh rundown.

Custom P3/733
Creative Labs Annihilator Pro (GeForce 256 DDR)
Philips Acoustic Edge PSC706
--
I'm getting serious crackling of the sound for some sound effects and ALL music.

The Philips Acoustic Edge PSC706 doesn't have XP specific drivers, but the 2k drivers seem to work for everything else. Any reported problems like this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

King Rude
Nov 15, 2001, 08:40 PM
Caveman-

Thanks for the info. Left my laptop at the office (I had given up on it), but I'll give it a try tomorrow. Looks fairly simple.

I agree 100% with what you say about the copy protection. Its absurd that I have to crack a game I purchased.

Thanks ...

Bergvall
Nov 16, 2001, 01:01 PM
I have tried installing v12.41 and v21.83 of the drivers for nvidia geforce3 none of them has cleared up my problem. The problem remains the same.

For example when I look at the credits. Then all the names and letters are mixed up in the middle of the box. The only thing that works is quick start but when I try to build a city a message comes up and says unable to locate draw buffer.

So now I'm at a total blank in knowing what to do.

plz help me.

video card: nvidia geforce3 256mb
sound card: SB live
1,4GHz P4, 256mb ram

Andy Tarrant
Nov 16, 2001, 05:45 PM
You're a good man skOtie.

I have had the video problems that a few others have resolved, without resolving them. I have taken the redundant refresh rates out, I have done all the things suggested below, in fact. Unfortunately, none have made any difference. My hardware is up to date, I am on Windows 2000, using a 700Mhz processor. My monitor is a little old but reckons it is capable of 75Hz and my refresh rate is only 60Hz now.

What else can I try??

dirizhabel
Nov 16, 2001, 06:11 PM
Hey sk0tie,

Can you imagine I end my turn before dinner and when I'm done eating the bloody thing is still "counting"? I have a PII-450 MHz / 256M RAM / Win2k Pro and I didn't experience any performance probs until I tried playing civ3. I'm still at my first game and the only cause left for me to play is to see how ridiculously long will the next turn take. It's 1500 a.d. now and with the huge map and 15 civs it takes a whopping 25 minutes. Yeah, kids, TWENTY FIVE f****** MINUTES. And I'm talking EVERY turn here, not a sudden glitch like we had with civ1...

Please help...

fflewddur
Nov 17, 2001, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Kardinal

Custom P3/733
Creative Labs Annihilator Pro (GeForce 256 DDR)
Philips Acoustic Edge PSC706
--
I'm getting serious crackling of the sound for some sound effects and ALL music.

The Philips Acoustic Edge PSC706 doesn't have XP specific drivers, but the 2k drivers seem to work for everything else. Any reported problems like this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

i'm on a soundblaster audigy myself, but i was getting all sorts of crazy static, popping sound effects, and eventually just a single note would start repeating endlessly until i restarted the game. the new drivers from creative cleared up all of these problems, so i'd hazard a guess that you just need updated drivers as well. one thing i did notice that by setting my audio hardware acceleration *higher*, more of the static went a away... when i turned if off completely, the audio was completely screwed up.

KiyamvirMaar
Nov 17, 2001, 07:24 AM
dirizhabel:

I run the game on an old p166mmx and obviously I get this alot.

However one thing I've noticed is that sometimes I'll get the "Please wait..." message for a VERY long time and it seems to "freeze" without doing anything.

I've found the solution is simply to click on the End Turn oval (top left of the info window) and it'll take you back into the game.

Not sure if this is helpful, but give it a go... :)

Regards,
Kiy

CoolLizy
Nov 17, 2001, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by dirizhabel
Hey sk0tie,

Can you imagine I end my turn before dinner and when I'm done eating the bloody thing is still "counting"? I have a PII-450 MHz / 256M RAM / Win2k Pro and I didn't experience any performance probs until I tried playing civ3. I'm still at my first game and the only cause left for me to play is to see how ridiculously long will the next turn take. It's 1500 a.d. now and with the huge map and 15 civs it takes a whopping 25 minutes. Yeah, kids, TWENTY FIVE f****** MINUTES. And I'm talking EVERY turn here, not a sudden glitch like we had with civ1...

Please help...

That's what you get for playing against 16 other Civ's! Seriously, though, play with 8 and the game will work much better. Play with 16 at your own risk!

Ribannah
Nov 17, 2001, 08:04 PM
All I get when I start the game is:
"Unable to allocate draw-buffer: terminating program". I don't even get to see the intro :(.

My configuration:

Pentium II 266 MHz (Portland mmx Pro)
Windows 95 B
Matrox Mystique Powerdesk (1064 chip) with the latest (final) driver installed
DirectX 8 from the Civ3 cdrom
Minimum install of Civ3 (no room for the full one)
50 MB swap file (fixed)

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Matrox Diagnostic gives "Old version of DirectX installed" at startup, and "DirectX version: Unknown" from the start menu.

So it seems the problem is with DirectX 8.

I tried to re-install DirectX 7a from another game, but this is refused because a more recent version is detected.

The DirectDraw/Direct3D driver version is 4.10.01.4120.

:rolleyes:

Windows/System/Dxdiag.exe reports DirectX 8 installed and all tests are successful -
but nonetheless here it comes:

"Registry info missed or damaged" for TCP/IP, IPX, Modem, Serial and all applications.

"You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version".

Unfortunately, the cdrom doesn't give that option.

Oh well, I downloaded Direct 8 (4.08.00.0400) from Microsoft's site. Re-installing doesn't make any difference.

The Editor runs fine, so the problem must be the movie files.
Civ3's uninstall and reinstall buttons don't do a thing though.

Asmod
Nov 17, 2001, 11:02 PM
Sorry for the "*****y" post but I feel like throwing my pc out of the window atm :crazyeyes

Sometimes I can play the game for 10 hours sometimes 5 minutes before it freezes my pc. I have to power it off and then back on again.

My System

Windows 2000
AMD 1.2GHz
512Mb Ram
256Mb page file on its own partition
DX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)
3dfx Voodoo 3 with version 5.00.2195.0232 (English) drivers
Monitor AOC SPECTRUM 7Nlr
SB Live driver version 5.12.01.3204
2 X Maxtor 30Gb 7200rpm drives
HP 9500 CDRW

The very first time I played Civ3 after about an hour of playing the game I had a warning pop up from Windows saying I had run out of virtual memory, hitting C-A-D and looking at the task manager's performance tab I see that I have near 200Mb of main memory free and about 10 meg of swap space free..... ignoring the warning I play on only to have the game freeze a bit later. No a problem, first time its happened and I had other stuff running in the background anyway. I closed everything down and tried again, bam, freezes after 30 seconds of playing. Restart, try again.

This freezing thing was becoming more and more frequent. I have 86 fonts listed in my fonts folder, I changed my screen res from 1600x1200 to 1024x768, I've tried increasing my page file, I turned down the Hardware accleration on my graphics card down to around the middle (any lower and Civ3 won't run period.)

None of this helped, so I played about with the in game settings, I found turning OFF the music and autosave added to my play time by like an hour (although thats still pretty random). I thought maybe my pc was overheating, when I checked the processor is running at 35Deg C and the case temp was 37Deg C, ok maybe its because I leave my PC running for days on end (not anymore because it gets rebooted loads due to Civ3) I find that I get MORE playtime if my pc has been running a few hours than if I load up from a cold boot.

Finally after all this has failed I uninstalled the game and re-installed it. Now it crashes as soon as I build my first city..... Maybe its the harddisk so I uninstalled it and re-installed it on my other harddisk and find I can play for about an hour again and it still freezes.

I'm just about to try "cracking" it unless anyone else has any other ideas that I could try.

The only thing I can think of is re-installing my OS but would that even help

Asmod

Andy Tarrant
Nov 18, 2001, 04:51 AM
skOtie
:cry:
I seem to have a video problem. The video clip at the start works lovely, but everything else seems to have 50 versions of the screens across the page. I have tried the refresh rate changes suggested on this page and altering the Display Control Panel settings to no avail. Here are my details, if you can offer any help I would be very grateful;

Under System Tab:
Processor and Speed - Intel Pentium III 720Mhz

Total System Memory - 10GB
DirectX Version – 8.0

Video Card Name - Intel 82810 Graphics Controller Hardware version 003, file version 4.12.01.2656
Manufacturer - Intel
Approx. Total Memory - 5.0MB

Sound Card Name – AC’97 Sound Card 82801AA Hardware version 002, file version 4.90.2509.1
Manufacturer ID - 1

When I change the video settings to 1024x768, however, on my desktop the screen does go the same way i.e. 50 versions across the screen. Is my monitor/video card not actually capable of 1024x768 I wonder? How am I supposed to know, I'm only an analyst programmmer!

Cheers

fflewddur
Nov 18, 2001, 06:21 PM
asmod:

creative released new sblive and audigy drivers on the 1st of november. i'm not sure of the version number for the live (i have the audigy myself), but they fixed all the problems i'd been having with the game, including lockups.

dreadhead7
Nov 18, 2001, 10:00 PM
First, thank you so much sk0tie and Dan for helping us out. You have no idea how grateful I am!!

Now, for my problems:
A minor one is that there is some stuttering of sound and some lagging, but strangely enough, that's only a minor irritation for me. Also, for some strange reason, when I set my preferences at the first screen (I believe it's the main screen), it doesn't "take", and I have to go back to the main screen once the game has begun to set my preferences, which then, work fine. Also, how do I turn on the grid without entering tutorial mode? Is there an icon I can click on, and where is it? Forgive me for sounding stupid, but I am severly visually impaired, and I might have missed the icon. Again, these are only minor irritations that I can live with if there isn't a fix.

Now, the real problem...

When I arrive at the main screen, there is no button for loading maps. I have been trying to work with the editor in order to create maps, and the directions say to save the maps in the directory that the game is installed in, then, when you want to use the maps, to click on "load map" in the main menu of the game. I can assure you that I have no such entry on my main menu. I clicked on the scenario button to see if I could load a map from there, but there was no entry there, either. I also don't have a "maps" folder in my Civ3 files. I created one, but what good does that do, when there is no way to access the maps from the game, anyway?

The editor is my main frustration here. I am not ready to create mods or scenarios yet, but I do want to edit some rules. There is no way possible that I can do this, as all of my options are greyed out, which means that I can't access anything! Actually, the only thing that I can do with the editor right now, is to try to create maps. Speaking of which, what files are used to create maps within the editor? I thought that the scenario files were .bic files, but when I went to create my map, it saved with a .bic extension. I don't want to create a map for a scenario, I only want to create a regular map that I can use in the game. Will I be able to use maps with that extension once I have fixed my problem, or shall I create maps using another extension? Or, is it that I can only use the maps with a scenario? Also, when creating regular maps, I want to place starting locations for various civs. It will allow me to do that, but not to specify which civ I want at that starting location. How can I fix this?

Ok, sk0tie and Dan, what do I do to fix these problems that I have? Is there a patch or fix that will be out for the editor? Maybe I should uninstall, then reinstall the game? Sometimes, this approach does work for me. Thank you in advance for all your help. I love civ3, and want to enjoy this game to the fullest!

P.S.--I don't know if I should have posted this to this thread or not, but I thought I'd do it here, as you guys post here, and I thought I'd get some help from the horse's mouths, but, heck, if anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Nov 18, 2001, 10:27 PM
-- Maps are stored in BIC files, just like rules. If you only want to create a map, fire up the editor, whip up your map, make sure "Default Rules" is checked, then save the map out. To load the map use "Load Scenario" and select the BIC file.

-- To edit rules, you need to uncheck "Use default rules" in the editor, then all the options will be available.

With the editor, you can choose to create any of the following:

-- Just a map, with default rules
-- A custom map with custom rules
-- Just rule changes with no map

In each case you need to use "Load Scenario" to get this content into the game.

Also I strongly recommend reading the Civ3Edit.hlp file. It's got help on pretty much every function in the editor.

Setting which civ you want to start where isn't yet supported in the editor. We're quite aware of the need for this function, and hopefully it will become available in a future patch.

Dan

chandler75
Nov 19, 2001, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zoroaster

do you hear your CD drive whir after the splash screen, as if it's trying to do something but not reading? That was my first hint that the disc accessing might be problem.

That´s EXACTLY my problem. I tried to download the exe. files from www.gamecopyworld.com but they didn´t open (or do I need a special program to open them?). Is there anywhere else I can find an "opener"? I paid big bucks for the original game but can only run the Civ Edit/Mod (no problems) - I though it was my monitor that couldn´t handle the resolution, which would suck - it would suck even more if I can´t play the game because of some copy protection. HELP!

chandler75
Nov 19, 2001, 09:31 AM
Just in case my problem might be something else and sk0tie can help out:

Windows ME
Pentium III 728 MHz
64 MB Ram
DirectX 8.0

Monitor IMB G41 (15")

NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64
Driver: nvdisp.drv (4.13.01.2182)

Creative Sound Blaster PCI
Driver: es1371mp.sys (4.90.2490.0000)

chandler75
Nov 19, 2001, 11:34 AM
Odd... I did get to see the intro (once - since then it´s been the same as described above) - perfect graphics, perfect sound. Then afterwards the screen went blck, but the music/sounds were still playing.
Maybe one should just stick to CivII...

Typo
Nov 19, 2001, 01:14 PM
I reckon there are a load of people out there playing with Nvidia cards who thing the scroll problem is how the game should be

Is this gonna be fixed or either by Nvidia or Firaxis??? :confused:

Is there anyone with an Nvidia setup who doesn't have this problem, if so tell me what drivers your using?

Thx

yellek
Nov 19, 2001, 07:23 PM
Just in case anyone else is having the same issues and this fix might help them:

I have fixed my CIV3 problems by updating the VIA BIOS for my ABit KT7A motherboard. I was getting through all of the menus but when the game was actually about to start I would get dumped back to Windows. Updating to BIOS version 64 (I have revision 1.0 of the KT7A motherboard) fixed the problem. My system is as follows:

KT7A MoBo
Athlon 1.2GHz
Gigabyte Geforce 2 GTS
SB PCI128

YMMV

Zulu Fodder
Nov 20, 2001, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Mad Russian
i naver seen a game with so many serious problems in the first week

I have.

Diablo II
Ultima Online
Fallout 2

There have been much worse cases than what Civ 3 is going through. Of course, it could just be a case by case basis cause I don't have any problems whatsoever with my game.

Thunderfall
Nov 20, 2001, 09:12 PM
I don't have any problem running Civ3 on my computer. The game never crashes, even if I have several other resource intensive programs running in the background. :)

joespaniel
Nov 22, 2001, 08:37 PM
Lucky you.:p ;)

My problem seems to be the 17" monitor, and the video card stretching to accomodate it.

I dont know much about it or what type it is. I bought my computer from a pretty shady guy that builds them from Chinese made components!:lol:

When I start up, the desktop shrinks to the upper-left to 14" or so. Then eventualy expands to to whole screen by the intro video.

I seem to have RAM problems as well. Supposedly I have 128MB, but its slow and sluggish, even after I exit the game.

*sigh* I found a nice HP at Sam's Club for $900. :rolleyes:

Graeme the mad
Nov 23, 2001, 02:33 AM
Hello again everybody, I havent posted for ages.

Anyway apart from that I finally got Civ3 yesterday

:D

BUT WAS IT SMILEY FACE _ NO IT WASNT!!!!!

What I did was play a game and as I did it keep a record (so I could post an interesting and imaginative story of me as leader of the insane aztecs)
BUT NO - WHEN I TRY TO LOAD UP THAT GAME TODAY I GET THIS MESSAGE:
DATAIO operation system error: TILE

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

My save is GONE!! and whats even more bizarre is that I loaded it up last night (wanted to see if I could conquer iroquis capital with one jafg (I couldn't) and it worked fine then :mad:)

3 hours of playing: GONE
Im sorry to have such a negative post but please firaxis HELP and fast

dirizhabel
Nov 24, 2001, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by CoolLizy

That's what you get for playing against 16 other Civ's! Seriously, though, play with 8 and the game will work much better. Play with 16 at your own risk!

Yeah, CoolLizy, you ARE right -- fortunately or unfortunately... I tried 8 civs on a normal map and its bearable, although definitely not as fast as the similarly sized civ1 game on a humble 10-year old 16 MHz PC/AT-286. What a shame.

Sure thing, I do understand my PII-450 / 256 MB computer is a bit outdated, but it's times BETTER than the officially req'd system of PII-300 / 32 MB. It's interesting what kind of benchmarks do people with top class systems get in large games (16 civs, Huge map). A primitive calculation suggests that a 2 GHz class computer would make it 3-4 times better than mine, so make those 25 minutes per turn just about 8. Is 8 minutes per turn (in 1500 a.d.) okay for the fastest piece of hardware on the market??? I think it's plain nonsense.

Anyways it's not a subject to be explored in this thread anymore, since it's not a glitch... It's just "normal" behavior... Uhmmm...:mad:

kcbrown
Nov 25, 2001, 06:46 AM
Here's how you fix the slow scrolling problem:

1. Go to http://www.guru3d.com/files and click on Videocard Drivers, then NVIDIA detonator drivers. You'll be presented with a list of drivers.

2. Grab the Detonator 12.41 WHQL drivers that are appropriate for your platform. The drivers are in the form of an executable, but at least for Win2K you can open it up in your zip file handler program (I use Powerarchiver myself, but most people use Winzip).

3. Extract the nvoglnt.dll file into the directory that Civ3 is installed (i.e., the directory that the game executable resides in). This works under Win2K, as executables seem to pick up DLLs first in the home directory of the executable, then the system directories. This might not work everywhere. If it doesn't have an effect, then you'll have to place it in your system32 directory or system directory (wherever your current nvoglnt.dll file resides).

This procedure worked for me and appears to work for others.

Now, on to the refresh rate problem. I'm running a GeForce 2 Pro card with the "plug and play" monitor and don't have a refresh rate problem. And I think I know why: I've used the NVidia refresh rate fix.

To pick this utility up, go here: http://www.planetquake.com/ztn/nvreffix/

What I did for my setup is use the "Set every resolution to monitor's maximum supported rate" option in the "set" dropdown at the bottom of the window.

Anyway, I noticed that the movie plays at exactly the refresh rate it should (my monitor can tell me what the refresh rate and resolution are).

Hope this helps....

Typo
Nov 26, 2001, 12:23 PM
This doesn't work for me although it does slightly improve the scrolling. The best way to play I find, is with 3d acceleration turned off. Although like above, this is no fix. Hope Firaxis hurry up and fix this.

regimontanus
Nov 26, 2001, 05:09 PM
I am having similar probelms as King Rude and Zoroaster. The Game installs properly but just doesn't run after the splash screen. This is the Error message...

CIVILIZATION3 caused an invalid page fault in
module ~DF394B.TMP at 0187:10044598.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=0187 EIP=10044598 EFLGS=00010246
EBX=00004c26 SS=018f ESP=00abf9c8 EBP=00abf9d4
ECX=00000cb0 DS=018f ESI=00d991d2 FS=c99f
EDX=0000d50c ES=018f EDI=0087f3e2 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
66 8b 44 1f fc d1 e8 83 c0 07 99 83 e2 07 03 c2
Stack dump:
011047f8 1005afd8 000000c8 00abfa00 10017bc0 00400000 011047f8 1005afd8 000000c8 000000c8 00000000 00f86e74 00400001 00f9c94c 00abfa74 00f54948

My system is adequate and I have the latest driver from my manufacturer and Direct X 8.01.

Gateway Solo 2150 (laptop)
Pentium III 600mhz
160 MB RAM
10-24x Speed CD ROM
Running WIN 98
Rage Mobility-M AGP (video card)
Soundblaster AudioPCI 64V (sound card)

The developer confirmed it is a "safedisc" problem. The question is is it safedisc or is my driver? Infrogrames over the phone that ther were "ways" of getting arround the problem but they could not tell me. I want a better solution than the Unwapper!

howard
Nov 30, 2001, 03:13 AM
I've had an interesting evening, working on getting Civilization III to work properly, but thanks to the posts in this thread (and notably Trash's post on the first page), it is now working.
System : Pentium III/933MHz, 1Gig RAM
NVidia GeForce2 Ti 200 (64MB) Graphics Card
Windows 2000 Professional
Symptom : The into "movie" would play fine, and then the screen would go black. Still had music, though. Could not CTRL-ALT-DEL out.
Stuff I tried :
Installed new NVidia driver
Installed old NVidia driver
Installed Service Pack 2 for Windows 2000
Messed with DirectX and OpenGL settings for Video card
Installed DirectX 8.1
Uninstalled and reinstalled many times
What worked :
Running regedt32 (editor was easier for me than regedit)
HKLM\Current Control Set\Services\NV4\Device1
Edited all keys which had "modes" in their name, but I think the one that worked for me was NV20_1_Modes... I just went ahead and edited them all, as it was getting late...
They had values like:
32 1024 768 60 70 72 75 85 100 120 0
Changed to:
32 1024 768 60 70 72 75 0
removing the higher refresh rates. Also removed the higher resolutions (the whole lines...) like
32 1600 1200 60 70 72 75 85 100 120 0
lines like that, I deleted...
Just like in the other posts...
[Let me echo, what others have said. Don't edit the registry unless you are comfortable doing so, and have a backup of the registry and know how to use it!]
Double checked that the higher refresh rates were no longer available in the Monitor properties, and checked that the higher resolution settings were no longer available, then voila...
Well, I had to undo a DirectX setting that I had tweaked somewhere in there, but that was easy enough.
Hopefully the Civ tech folks will post a patch to fix this problem, so people don't have to hack their registries... but I couldn't wait that long.
So, thank you, thank you, thank you everyone for your help.

Howard

Exsanguination
Dec 01, 2001, 04:08 PM
Interesting problem I've been having. first, here are my specs:

Pentium II, MMX, ~447 MHZ
128 MB RAM
DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)

NVIDIA RIVA TNT (v.4.13.01.2183)
NVIDIA
15.5 MB

Turtle Beach Montego A3D 64 Voice PCI Sound Card (v.4.05.00.1130)
Turtle Beach

Monitor: Dell D1025TM
Windows 98

(I know, my computer is a little low-tech, but it meets the min. requirements.)

I got Civ3, installed, it worked fine. 2 weeks after first using it, I loaded it and some odd things appeared. The intro movie worked fine, but once I got the initial setup screen, the display was shifted about 2 inches from the left (it was all black). In the lower-left hand corner, there was a speaker with an X through it in green (in the black space).
I figured...mmm... something wrong witht he orientation. So I tried changing the geometry, but when I pressed the buttons, the green speaker changed to a key - as though it was locked. I exited the game, and my entire display was screwed up. now, not only did i have the display 2 inches off to the left, it was majorly tilted from righ to left on the top. After rebooting several times, I got it so the tilt was almost unnoticeable. Now the 2-inch gap only appears when I load Civ3. (the gap is NOT there during the intro movie).
This is now a universal problem, occurs with all my games. Any ideas?
I updated my NVIDIA drivers (v21.83), and changed the startup to "selective startup" and unchecked LOAD STARTUP GROUP ITEMS. Didn't work.
I figure it could be the .INF thing, but I don't know how to check/fix it. How do I do that?
Has anyone else encountered similar problems? I have NEVER encountered problems like this, on any computer. I am in the process of purchasing a new monitor.

Anyhow, thanks a lot to Sk0tie for all the help.

Kimi
Dec 01, 2001, 08:54 PM
For what it's worth, Realplayer and associated programs seem to cause some errors in CIV3. I removed EVERY program associated with Realxxx, and now I get far less crashes. In one game I made it all the way to 1930 before I got a fatal lockup, where I cannot go any further.

Mongol Horde
Dec 02, 2001, 01:14 PM
Graeme, you are not the only one experiencing DataIO Tile errors. I am getting them by the bucketl load too. As well as all kinds of different other crashes. Any word on a fix for the TILE errors?

Vinkiller
Dec 04, 2001, 06:55 AM
I have Windows 98 Second Edition. Pentium III 550MHZ. GeForce2 MX 100/200. Memory: 256MB.
Whenever I run the game it works just fine till the main menu but when I try to load a game or start a new one I get an error saying that the game will be closed and when I click "details" it says something about a divide error.
Also, the text in the main menu is strange, like it's alot of setences one over the other so you can't understand a word.
I read the solutions to the problem in the infogrames site but it didn't help me because I only have 136 fonts and I don't have any "OCRAware" appearing in the Control-Alt-Delete list.

Kimi
Dec 04, 2001, 10:38 AM
See my reply above about Realplayer/Realaudio and similar programs. These come pre-installed on many computers, and by removing everyone of them, it fixed a similar problem in 2 of the 3 computers I was having problems with.

Aslan
Dec 04, 2001, 10:42 AM
What is with Windows always expanding my paging file while I'm playing the game? Why does this occur. Earlier in the thread, a couple others mentioned it, but it was not addressed. My game chugs after about 20 or 30 turns and the computer turns start to sloooow way down and the animations become choppy and the sound stutters and eventually I'm unable to get my commands through. I'm running the game in Win2000 compatability mode in WindowsXP. I have a k62 450MgHz and 128MB RAM and a Voodoo3 chipset. this is the only game i've had problems with! HELP!

Vinkiller
Dec 04, 2001, 03:21 PM
I have removed all of the Realxxx programs in my computer. I have chosed selective startup without "load startup group items" in the msconfig. I have tried to play my copy of CIvilization 3 which I have paid a lot money to acquire and it still didn't work.:mad:

arnel
Dec 04, 2001, 05:05 PM
try changing the memory timing in BIOS. In my PC, my BIOS allows me to set the memory timings as either NORMAL, MEDIUM, FAST and TURBO. Some games I can play with setting to TURBO but for memory intensive games like CIV3 and CTP2, I have to set the timings to NORMAL. If you dont have those settings, try looking for CL settings in BIOS instead. If its set to 3, change it to 2.5 and if it didnt work, try 2. Also, if that again doesnt work, try changing the memory speed from 133 to 100Mhz.

Vinkiller
Dec 05, 2001, 07:16 AM
It's already like that

vladmir_illych_lenin
Dec 05, 2001, 07:46 PM
I bought Civ3 limited edition from future shop for 69.99 CDN yesterday. I got home, watched the movies, installed the game, and started playing

The screen first shrinks into a 14'' area in the upper left corner of my 17'' monitor. Then the game starts. The intro worked perfectly, but as soon as I got to the main menu, I saw the copyright information is all jumbled at the bottom. I though, oh well, could be a small bug. I selected "new game". Then I chose the specs, and pressed the circle button at the lower right corner. All of a sudden, an illegal operation thing came up. The details said it was a divide error.

I press close, and the game exits. For some reason, my screen is still 14'' at the upper left corder of the screen. I have to change the resolution to make it normal.

I checked the Infrograms site. I closed anything that had to do with my scanner. I moved most of my 1100 fonts until I only had 193. It didn't change anything.

I even called technical support but it accomplished nothing. I unchecked load startup group items. That didn't do anything.

Nothing works! Help!

arnel
Dec 06, 2001, 10:21 PM
sorry vinkiller. i run out of ideas...

Abaques
Dec 07, 2001, 02:24 AM
There is a memory leak somewhere in civilzation3.exe. Either that or the game was very badly engineered.

I know this because I have experienced the problem, posted earlier here, of having the game slow way down after several turns. For me, about 40-50. The last time this happened I checked my memory usage. It was at about 490 megs. I saved, then restarted the game at the save, ran a few turns and I was at 200 megs.

I am playing a huge map with 16 civs. This is not affecting the problem other then making it happen faster.

I am running:
win2k sp2
k6-2 500
192mb ram
via chipset
tnt2 ultra 32mb (2.3.1.1)
SB PCI 128

I had to replace the bink file and change to registry to run the game.

I do have a lower end system for the game, but it runs fine for the first 20 turns or so, then it starts to slow down.

I'm upset that this was a microsoft'd release. This game really needed more beta.

If anyone at the company's tech support has any ideas thery would be welcomed. I sure feel for you guys. Otherwise I will wait for the patch.

Abaques

Asmod
Dec 07, 2001, 03:51 AM
Does anyone else notice most people having problems are using either one of the follow or a combination of the following

1. VIA Chipset
2. Win2k
3. A SB Product

Poulin
Dec 07, 2001, 07:37 AM
I did not succeed to play Civ3, since I bougt it a month ago, on my main system.

Yes I have a Via chipset and a Soundblaster Live X-Gamer sound card.

I also have Windows XP, ATI Radeon 64 VIVO, 768 Meg RAM, 60 Gig HDD (I have five partitions, and the CD-ROM has been attributed the letter H instead of the usual D. Could it cause tle loch-ups (Note: Civ.ini does'nt have a reference to the CD_ROM, so I cannot change it)).
I tried evything that is on the manufacturer site, to no avail.
I wrote to support, but, like all the others, did not have an answer. What a rotten service.

I play civ3 on my old system, Win 98, 350Mz, 256Meg Ram, no problem.

Note: I have exactly the same problem with Alpha Centauri. :o :(

Reo
Dec 07, 2001, 12:07 PM
Where and when can I get the patch?

Reohays@aol

Abaques
Dec 07, 2001, 01:38 PM
Poulin, I also had that problem with alpha centauri. This is just unexceptable. Via make alot of chipsets now. Soundblaster has been the best or close to it forever. It is just not good buisiness to make a game that excludes large portion of its marketshare from playing it and not warning people about it. I strongly dobt that this will be fixed in the patch either.

Well, I hope that someone who can do something about this is reading it.

Abaques

Abaques
Dec 07, 2001, 01:40 PM
Oops, forgot to mention that when I had the problem with alpha centauri, I was running win98SE. That might make a difference.

Abaques

Enforcer
Dec 08, 2001, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by vladmir_illych_lenin
The screen first shrinks into a 14'' area in the upper left corner of my 17'' monitor. Then the game starts. The intro worked perfectly, but as soon as I got to the main menu, I saw the copyright information is all jumbled at the bottom. I though, oh well, could be a small bug. I selected "new game". Then I chose the specs, and pressed the circle button at the lower right corner. All of a sudden, an illegal operation thing came up. The details said it was a divide error.

Try putting these two commands into your civilization3.ini:

KeepRes=1
Video Mode=1024

See if that works,

Enforcer

PS: That fixed my "blank screen" problem, no need to fiddle with monitor drivers ;)

ebolav35
Dec 10, 2001, 12:05 AM
I skimmed through most of the posts, and didn't see this unique problem.

1)Game used to run fine for me on win 98
2)Upgraded to XP, game would play, but units animated at like 10% speed (i.e. miners moving REAAAALY slow)
3)Downloaded NEW version of patch (the 2nd one) and installed it
4)Double click on desktop shortcut, or autorun menu, etc. nothing at all happens. Hourglass for a few seconds, then nothing, but it does not hard lockup the system.

Ack! I miss playing this since I put in XP!!!

Poulin
Dec 10, 2001, 07:57 AM
I cannot play with Civ3.

The patch (the good one) does not help, my system still locks up after maybe 30-50 turns, i.e the hourglass appears from nowhere, nothing answers, even control-alt-delete, and I have to use the emergency switch to shut and restart the system. I wrote for support->nothing, no answer. Grrrrr.

And I paid good money for that.

Windows XP
60 Gig HDD Maxtor, 5 partitions
Pioneer DVD 115
ATI Radeon 64 Meg VIVO
Intel 866 EB CPU
Intellimouse
Sound Blaster Live X-Gamer
Samsung 17" NF 700 screen
Abit Via chipset

Blackjack
Dec 10, 2001, 12:44 PM
Too bad, if so, that was really nice of them to come by and help back in November, but they're probably fighting a losing battle.

Okay, here's a problem that I reported a while back that I suspect I was possibly given an error message response form-letter in reply to. I had no problems actually playing the game (well, until the patch, that is, but I'm talking about before the patch here) other than a very occasional lock-up or corrupted save file. The only problem that I could duplicate consistently was with the editor. There are certain colors that cause the game to crash if they are assigned to a civilization. I have even isolated some of them. Three are the darker orange, the light sea-green, and the tannish straw/ivory color, all three of which are right next to one another about 3/4th of the way down the color selection menu on the edit civilizations screen. There are other colors too, but I've singled these out. If a civ is assigned one of these colors, the game crashes either at the beginning of your first turn or during the first AI turn. The advice I got from Inforgrames seemed to be more for if I had not been able to get the game to run at all, which isn't the case, it ran fine other than this. And it's not the result of two civs being assigned the same color, either, I made sure it wasn't. Anyone else experienced anything similar? Wierd, I know, but I have cofirmed this as the cause of the problem after quite a bit of troubleshooting.

Have you tried running in Win98/ME compatability mode, ebolav? That got mine running again after all hell broke loose upon installing Windows XP.

And I have an ATI Rage Pro card. While I was at ATI's site, looking for the lastest drives and finding that I already had them, I saw something about new drivers for ATI Radeons for operating under XP. Did you get those, Poulin?

ebolav35
Dec 10, 2001, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! :) Unfortunately, I tried compatibility mode, and still nothing. I can either run it at like 10% speed without the patch and XP, or the game hangs without a hard lock up with the patch. It ran fine with 98, but I refuse to let shoddy programming force me into downgrading my OS.....argh!

Poulin
Dec 11, 2001, 07:28 AM
Yes, I have al the new drivers for the graphic and the sound cards.

I suspect that the problem has a relation with the Via chipset. A similar problem is described with the nVidia cards and the Via chipser and Windows XP (see viaarena.com). Does somebody else with a Via chipset also have this problem?

There were others having lockups. Are you still here? Is it corrected? How?

Remember: the game installs well, plays initially well, until it locks up, i.e. an hourglass appears, I hear a monotone sound coming from the HDD (I think), and nothing works, except that I can open the CD-ROM bay, and I have to restart the system, using the emergency switch, nt the regular one, because all the system is frozen.

hoshie
Dec 12, 2001, 07:28 PM
Great job you guys are doing here helping everyone out, especially dan and scotie.

I've sifted through numerous message boards and no one seems to have the problem I have. I insert the civ3 cd in the drive, autoplay comes up and I start to install Civilization III. However, at about 42% (on a typical install size) the cd drive powers down after copying a file to the art/flic/ directory. After about 10 seconds I get an error message saying data3.cab cannot be located and it asks me for its location. There is no data3.cab file on my Civilization III CD! I have tried installing this game on 3 computers with different cd-rom drives to no avail so I think it must be a problem with the CD I have? I tried copying the cd to the hard drive to see if it would work then, however I am unable to copy data2.cab (I get an error message in windows explorer saying that it 'cannot read the specified device'). Therefore I think I have a problem with my cd, any solutions? can i get a new cd? what is wrong???

I bought my copy of Civ3 from Revolution CD, is this a bug in the installation program or do you think I have a pirated/broken cd? All you guys don't seem to have this problem, do your game discs have data3.cab on them??? The manual and box looks fine and the cd is not scratched at all.

Help please!:(

needed
Dec 13, 2001, 05:50 PM
Your advice on troubleshootings are really very very basic ones. They won't be any help for most cases. The best thing Firiax can do is give a really useful patch as soon as possible!!

Anyway, thanks for your effort.

bork
Dec 14, 2001, 04:49 AM
Mentioned above, The first turns very quickly to a very low pace, now 90 bc, it takes op to 3-4 minutes for a turn to finish after enter. And it's noway mine system!
duron(800@1000)
768 mb
45 GB harddisk
geforce MX 2(210/220)
everything is updated
nvidia 23.1
via 4.36
altered page-file sizes
everything!

it doesn't help
i hope soon i and the other ones get some answers overhere

zbear
Dec 14, 2001, 11:57 AM
I’m having the same problem as Blackjack, I can’t assign certain colors to any civilization, or Civ3 causes an error in <Unknown>.:arrow:

Blackjack
Dec 14, 2001, 11:12 PM
Until now I was just about convinced that I was the only one having the color-related crash problem, though that has quickly become the least of my concerns now that I too have fallen victim to the faulty copy protetection and can't run the game with the patch, which I had hoped would fix this little bug of ours. Still, prior to the patch, I did my best to notify Firaxis via Infogrames tech support. I was quite underwhelmed by the response I got. Their advice (upgrade my drivers, have fewer than 256 fonts, ect.) seemed to me like it would apply more to if the game weren't running at all, which makes me wonder if they even read what I had written and not just sent me some sort of response-to-error-message-report form letter.

Are you playing under 1.16f when you're having the color crash, zbear?

And you don't just happen to be using an ATI Rage Pro, do you?

zbear
Dec 15, 2001, 03:54 PM
My Civ3 is patched. My vid card is a GeForce.

The reason no one else has reported this problem might be that no one else has experimented with all the colors. I’ll try them to see which are bogus, and report the results, if I can do it easily enough. :scan: There are about thirty colors. Since their sequence is the same in everyone’s Civ3Edit, I’ll number them one through thirty.

zbear
Dec 15, 2001, 06:02 PM
The only colors safe to use for civilizations are the first seventeen on the drop-down menu under Civ3Edit’s tab Civilizations, the same colors that are already assigned to the seventeen pre-made default civs.

Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Dec 16, 2001, 12:40 AM
ZBear,

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier or I could have saved you some effort. We are aware of this bug and it's in the bug DB, but I imagine it's a rather low priority.

Dan

Blackjack
Dec 16, 2001, 01:22 AM
I'm so very glad to know that they're on the color bug, even if it is (understandably) a low priority. Especially since its low priority status implies that other bugs are being addressed (hopefully that blasted SafeDisk fault! Aaaargh! Easily the most aggravating problem I've had with any game in recent history...) Hopefully I'll be back up and running after the next patch.

Jim Faulkner
Dec 17, 2001, 01:27 PM
Hey Dan -

Are you guys aware of the declaration of war crashing bug? See the threads "I have little hope of finding a solution here" and "Consistent, reproduceable crashing bug in 1.16f". I just want to make sure this is fixed in the next patch, this bug ended my last game rather early.

Thanks for the awesome game!
Jim Faulkner

ebolav35
Dec 17, 2001, 01:37 PM
Okay, here's my problem

1)Game ran fine until I installed XP-then it wouldn't even boot up until the patch. With the patch, runs, but all the units move and animate like they're in slow motion, which makes gameplay impossible (unless you want a turn to take 30 minutes).
2)I have all updated directx and drivers, the 23.11 geforce ones actually allowed the game to run with the patch (albeit slowly)-the 21.11(?) drivers =no bootup
3)I have had NO response from tech support in 3 weeks, even though, at their request, I attached my directx diagnostic file to the return email I sent to them.
4)I am absolutely fed up, and if I could return the game I would. This is why I never buy games when they come out, because of bugs like this. This game was an exception, because I was so excited about it. Looks like I learned my lesson...

Blackjack
Dec 17, 2001, 03:30 PM
What you described in that thread sounds like a corrupted save file to me. Unfortunately, if so, the only thing you can do then is go further and further back into your autosaves until you get to a point before it went wrong. It wouldn't really be a bug unless it does that in every game you start using the same setup, not just this one you've been playing.

ebolav35
Dec 17, 2001, 04:45 PM
Unfortunately, it does that when I start a new game, too. It's not just one saved game-it's all of them, and new games too.

The game runs fine on my friend's computer-the difference? He runs Windoze '98 and does not have a Geforce video card...

Jim Faulkner
Dec 18, 2001, 12:30 AM
Hey Blackjack:

I haven't heard about this corrupted savegame problem. Does this happen even after you install the patch? And would this effect games, say 4 or 5 turns after the savegame turn?

From what I understand the savegame bug crashed the game immediately. The bug reported by Scrote and I (see the other threads referred to in my earlier post) only happened after 1.16f was installed, and could happen immediately or after a few turns.

If you still think this is my problem, and if you have time, please explain why you think this savegame bug is my problem (or point me to the posts that explain it).

thanks,
Jim

Blackjack
Dec 18, 2001, 02:45 AM
Weird things happen to save game files sometimes. But, if you start a new whole new game and it ends up doing the exact same thing, then that's probably a bug like you said.

Despiser
Dec 18, 2001, 07:31 PM
Look familiar folks? but it's a new game. you change the object of the game to get as far as you can. I made it all the way up to 1995 AD!

module CIVILIZATION3.EXE at 018f:0046046e.
Registers:
EAX=078e9fd4 CS=018f EIP=0046046e EFLGS=00210202
EBX=00000004 SS=0197 ESP=00abfa48 EBP=00000000
ECX=00000000 DS=0197 ESI=0000002f FS=0d8f
EDX=00000001 ES=0197 EDI=ffffffff GS=0000
8b 01 52 ff 90 80 00 00 00 50 56 57 b9 c8 b0 5e
Stack dump:
00000000 078e9fd4 0bf80032 078e9fd4 00467196 00000001 ffffffff 0000002f 00000008 00609970 005dc980 078e9fd4 004835f0 00000000 00000008 078e9fd4

ebolav35
Dec 18, 2001, 10:50 PM
this game really is a pile of crap. Shoddy programming, ridiculous compatibility issues with so many different things-this pales only to Pool of Radiance. I thought the Civ team was better than this, makes me wonder what they spent the four years doing, because it sure as hell wasn't troubleshooting this poorly programmed game. I'm tired of spending hours trying to get this to work-this is why I prefer consoles, personally...

Kimi
Dec 19, 2001, 10:08 PM
I have had this game about 2 months now, and I have never had such a nightmare just trying to get ANY program to run.

It is just one bug after another - and the 116f patch broke it again, after I had spent almost 2 weeks FINALLY getting it run mostly run by uninstalling over half the programs on the computer.

Like some others - it seems my best option now is to try and get a refund from publisher.

Blackjack
Dec 19, 2001, 11:29 PM
Civ 3 is the only game I've had severe problems with in at least five years. Every time I hear anything from either Infogrames or Firaxis, they make it sound like it's your fault if you can't get it to run right (or can't get it to run at all, as the case may be.) Never mind the fact that every other game is working fine on the exact same system. Or that something that worked with the original version out of the box doesn't work anymore once the patch is installed. No, it's got nothing to do with the patch, it's obviously your hardware and your drivers. (I finally got a response to my request for the non-safedisc exe file, and they said they wouldn't send it until all other possibilities were exhausted. Hey, better than nothing, but it's silly how they want you to jump through all these hoops before they'll send you the file when the fact that the game ran before the patch should make it obvious that it's the patch and not your computer that's messed up.)

I would have said "forget it" and got a refund by now if that were possible. But, as usual with PC games, it's not, so I'll just hold out and hope the next patch puts things right while I see if I can get a legally cracked version of the exe file. Still, I can't believe that there are so many other would-be players out there who are having even worse problems than I am. In any other industry, this would have constituted a public-relations disaster. But gamers have learned the hard way that there's a certain amount of risk involved in buying PC titles, which is probably part of the reason why PC games are losing so much ground to consoles. I'm sure it's by pure luck alone that Civ 3 is the only game in recent history that will not cooperate on my current system, I know that many are not nearly so fortunate. Mindless as most console games are, you never have problems with hardware conflicts, bugs, or paranoid copy protection that stops legitimate buyers from playing what they paid money for.

BradC
Dec 20, 2001, 01:39 PM
It seems obvious to me that the problems we're all experiencing constitute the justification required in the EULA for seeking a refund from the company. They have said it will run on these operating systems, and it does not run when certain things happen.

Anyone who wants to can get a refund, if they honor the EULA. As I recall, you basically have to package up the CD and send it back to them to get a refund. But check your EULA to get the details.

I'm going to hold on a while longer and see if they fix the major issue that I'm encountering.

zbear
Dec 20, 2001, 02:57 PM
Yes, I’m sorry that some people will miss out on this game, but the company can’t refuse a reasonable request for a refund.

Biggles266
Dec 20, 2001, 03:11 PM
Has anyone else noticed this?

If I start my PC and then run Civ3, on the next boot or restart I get the message:

Completed updating files, contiunuing to load Windows...

To test, turn on your PC. Do not run anything. Restart. Watch for message while booting. Run Civ3. Quit. Restart PC. Watch for message while booting. I can reproduce this without fail.

Now I know this isn't much of a big deal but it takes my system boot time (from the Starting Windows 98... bit) from 13 seconds up to about 14 or 15 seconds so I don't like it.

Win98SE
Civ3 1.16f

I don't know if this really helps for this problem but here are the specs anyway:
Processor and Speed Intel Pentium III ~550MHz
Total System Memory 384Mb
DirectX Version DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0881)

Video Card Name NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Approx. Total Memory 31.5Mb

Sound Card Name Creative SBPCI Direct Sound Driver
Manufacturer Creative

Video Driver: 4.13.01.2183
Sound Driver: 4.12.01.2011

TAB443556
Dec 21, 2001, 05:03 AM
I have read this thread but i havent found anything that helps me.
When i instal the 1.16f patch the game starts as it should. I can start gaes but when i hit F8 or F9 the game does an illegal operation. This allso happends during trading with other civs. When i klick on any of the oftions ( like technology ) the games does an illegal acction again. This happends all the time.
I didnt have this problem before the patch, and when i reinstalled the game without the path it worked as it should.

Would be very happy if i could get some tips on how i can cure this problem.

Vinkiller
Dec 21, 2001, 06:27 AM
Hi,
I can't uninstall my Civ3. Every time I try to uninstall it, the screen of the installer pops up and after a second or two another screen comes up with finish the only option possible. also, after each time I try to uninstall there is a Civilization.exe file created in C:\Windows.
I would really appreciate it if you'll help me 'cause my game is not working and I want to unistall it to check if that helps.

ebolav35
Dec 21, 2001, 09:57 AM
Good point about the EULA-unfortunately, when my copy ran fine with '98, I shredded my receipt, thinking the game would be smooth sailing. So, even though I have the disc and instructions, I doubt they'll give me a refund without a receipt...

BradC
Dec 21, 2001, 11:55 AM
You might be able to get a duplicate receipt from the store where you bought it if you can tell them when and where (you should be able to get one if their database is any good). It might be worth a try if you want your money back, anyway.

Bill321567
Dec 23, 2001, 11:27 PM
Hey, I need help! You know how you said that I must uncheck load startup group items? Well on my computer it is checked and the box is kinda gray... When I uncheck it and apply then restart my computer it is checked again!!! How do I keep it permanently unchecked?

bork
Dec 24, 2001, 02:45 PM
The first turns very quickly, later to a very low pace, now 90 bc, it takes op to 3-4 minutes for a turn to finish after enter. And it's noway mine system!
duron(800@1000)
768 mb
45 GB harddisk
geforce MX 2(210/220)
everything is updated
nvidia 23.1
via 4.36
altered page-file sizes
everything!

it doesn't help
i hope soon i and the other ones get some answers overhere [/B]
ok, I changed mine videocard, I bougt a matrox 550, no difference but very handy so i can play civ on monitor one and the other stuff on monitor 2.

To the point, mentioned in other post i promised some tests.
I installed I) Bysoft Freeram. The ram was never a problem, BUT the cpu-load rose very fast to 46 percent when loading the game, 2 percent on the opening screen. Loading a save game boom: 100 percent load! back to 28, 100 % in the end and finishing the loading. Finished at 25 percent. Clicking on the game after loading to start it: 100% and it STAYS 100 procent. II)Windows task manager: civlization3.exe says 92 percent!
Changed priorities on the processes in the manager: nothing!
So my guess is there is somekind of memory leak. Raw power will cope with this problem but a duron at 1 gigaHz isn't enough. Hopefully will there be a solution soon
http://gathering.tweakers.net/i/s/hypocrite.gif..... http://gathering.tweakers.net/i/s/hypocrite.gif..... http://gathering.tweakers.net/i/s/hypocrite.gif.....http://gathering.tweakers.net/i/s/hypocrite.gif

Despiser
Dec 24, 2001, 03:09 PM
Yep, I noticed the updating config files too. Usually happens after I reboot from a Invalid Page fault error from civ3.

PinkyGen
Dec 25, 2001, 11:15 PM
I'm here over the safedisk problem. I went to gamecopyworld, but the file it gave me was in .ace format, so I don't know how to make it work. Also, I am very clueless in how to make the program unsafedisk work right.

To anyone who managed to solve the problem, I'd sure appreciate the help. :)

"And I wanted to do was conquer the world." :king:

lobo688
Dec 29, 2001, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Jim Faulkner
Hey Dan -

Are you guys aware of the declaration of war crashing bug? See the threads "I have little hope of finding a solution here" and "Consistent, reproduceable crashing bug in 1.16f". I just want to make sure this is fixed in the next patch, this bug ended my last game rather early.

Thanks for the awesome game!
Jim Faulkner

Hi Firaxis (Dan or anyone) can you please look at the threads Jim has above. AND PLEASE RESPOND WITH A POST HERE.

I don't think this is a currupt save game. Looks like an error in the game code. The problem only appears to have started since the patch was released. I reinstalled W2K and Civ3 and patch and started a new game, still got this error late in the game, about 1950 (so I don't think the fault is to do with bad upgraded save games) I have logged it with
http://www.ina-support.com/cgi-bin/mailform.pl

Just a tip, please become more active in the forums. I know its the holidays (even for tech suport), but that is why we are all so eager to play. Please post a list of the Bug DB.

PS there is no way i'm returning my CIV3 - I love it too much. (thats why i'm here trying to get it fixed)

lobo688
Dec 29, 2001, 01:25 AM
Hi PinkyGen

ACE is like ZIP.
http://www.winace.com/

It's funny you have to go to gamecopyworld for a game you bought legit just because safedisk doesn't work .... you did buy it didn't you, this is not your "friends" copy ;-)

PinkyGen
Dec 29, 2001, 08:16 PM
Thanks lobo, yes it's my game, and I'm quite mad it. I got the files from gamecopyworld (finally figured what winace was), and Civ tech support finally sent me a file, but neither of them worked. The game simply won't load? And I want to take over the world.

Chapz
Dec 30, 2001, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Asmod
Does anyone else notice most people having problems are using either one of the follow or a combination of the following

1. VIA Chipset
2. Win2k
3. A SB Product

I agree with you on that issue. In fact I'd have brought it up if you haven't. But this is my observation based on my own experiences.

My PC:
Jurassic Period Processor - P2 300mhz
384MB RAM
P3V133 VIA Mobo
Geforce 2 MX-200 64MB RAM
ESS Tech 1938 Soundcard
DirectX 8.1
10GB HDD

1st time I installed Civ3 was on Win98SE. It worked well, good response times, nice animations, video ran ok, smooth scrolling, in other words - no problems whatsoever. I played my first game right up till the retirement date - I discovered was a horrible Roman leader. I only had only one problem which hung the game when I clicked the lil red more button of the speech bubble on the advisor screen too many times. And that only happened ONCE.

Then so happened one day I decided that Win2k will be my OS (I'm working towards my MCSE 2k, heh). Installed Win2k, managed to get my hardware to cooperate with my drivers.
Updated to Service Pack 2.
Then I installed Civ3 again a couple of days ago and found two problems:

1. Slow movie playback (as per readme file, copied the bink file from the CD and solved the problem)
2. Horrible scroll rate (no solution yet)

I did not have these two problems on the same hardware, running win98SE, but I did running Win2k. It could be the drivers, but other games/apps run just fine on it.

What I really do suspect is the combination of Win2k and VIA chipsets that really slow the display (menus, scrolling, text displays).

I'll give the color resolution change (24bit to 16bit) as well as the reducing # of fonts a try, but I doubt it.

But if you bare with it, you'd be able to play the game with the slow scroll rate (I'm in the 1960s, doing Babylonian Borg Assimilation - cultural takeovers rulez!).

FYI: No other problems encountered. Not using any patches.

Despiser
Dec 31, 2001, 04:03 PM
This "war" bug in the late industrial era does not seem to like either a Soundblaster Live card or a Via Apollo chipset from my own experiences and messages posted in this forum.

BradC
Jan 02, 2002, 08:10 AM
I do not have a VIA chipset, as far as I know (Celeron 128K processor) but I do have the "war" bug.

Ripley1
Jan 02, 2002, 06:37 PM
Ok heres the problem, I can get through the intro with no worry unlike alot of people, but into the game it will crash endlessly. The first time I played Civ 3 I got through about 1/2 hour starting a new civ and then it just froze. It does it randomly. I couldn't Cnt'l-Alt-Delete out to windows, and the music kept repeating. I had to reboot the computer. Now I try again and it would crash between the very start of a saved game or a new one or by 15 minutes.(I cant go a turn or 2 without it crashing)
Ok I tried everything I could possibly think of that doesn't take a masters in programming to do. I checked if all my drivers and direct x were updated and working, they were fine. I tried reducing hardware acceleration (tech support's first suggestion), no avail. I turned off sound, animations and no other programs were running. I cant seem to change the resolution. I dont know what the heck to do. I have kindof a cheap sound card, could it be a problem(even though the sound seems fine on a surround sound sterio) Could my copy be a defect? someone help, please?
heres my specs:
Windows ME
Athlon T-bird 900mhz
640mb sdram
Winfast GeForce 2 MX 64mb
19" Gateway EV900 (resolution is at 1024/768 32 bit 75hz)
ALS 4000 sound card
40gb and a 20gb drive

pascal_nz
Jan 03, 2002, 06:38 AM
I really hope there arent too many out there in the boat I am.

Because of my DVD drive and the "safedisk" software, civ3 wont run on my computer. There IS a remedy to this, BUT Im not allowed to have it because I dont live in North AMerica, I have been told to "contact my local tech support" but there are none in New Zealand!

I might live in a small country, and there is no way Id expect Firaxis to open up a branch here but I feel really left out on a limb. : (

I have tried everything from gamecopyworld to hours and hours and hours of endless toggling. I would guess it is probably against Firaxis's policy but is there any one that could give me a hand or totally BLOW MY SOX OFF by sending me a copy of Firaxis's modified exe file for version 1.17.

I am nothing short of desperate to play this game, I have waited over a month now spending hours a day trying to remedy the problem, I wouldnt be surprised if those living with me thought I was a bit nuts - but its just I so desperately want to finally play civ3.

If any one could email me this file and finally put me out of my misery I would be phenominally happy, it would make my year!

I can't wait to finally join in on this (what looks like) awesome game

Kind Regards,

pascal_nz@hotmail.com

Ripley1
Jan 03, 2002, 10:12 PM
If you want some advice you'll thank me for this is it:
Don't by World War II Online, has more bugs then the Amazon, and bigger ones too.

just thought I'd try to save whoever didn't get that game from pulling all their hair out

FlipZam
Jan 06, 2002, 10:25 AM
Hey there, PinkyGen.
.Ace files have just been archived using another archive program. There are a bunch that can "decode" them, just do a search using google.
Otherwise you can use PowerArchiver (http://www.powerarchiver.com/download/)

I have only been affected by the "wait 12 hours between turns" issue and have yet to sort it out...

P-Bot
Jan 06, 2002, 06:02 PM
Okay, first I must echo again the praise towards sk0tie and Dan at actually coming to this board and offering to help - especially as they are doing it in their own time.

Right, now onto my small but irritating problem. The game all loads okay and runs fine (apart from me playing crap :() anyhow, every so often, for no apparent reason, the game will crash. The error reported mentions OpenGL. Okay, so I think update my graphics drivers, only apparently I already have the latest.
I'm not sure if this is a similar problem as a couple already listed, as I have Windows XP which is able to remain running and terminate Civilization.exe
Luckily I have autosave activated, so I don't lose more than a turn, but obviously it's not good for a program to repeatedly crash.

I don't have this problem with Windows 98, only XP... but it is a <strike>bit</strike> lot of a pain having to switch my HDDs from slave to master and vica versa just for one game. Even if it is a very good one.

Anyhoo, you might be interested in my system specs, so here they are:

Processor: AMD Duron 600
Mainboard: VIA KT133(VT 8368)
Video: 32MB ATI Xpert 2000
Audio: Hercules Gamesurround Muse XL
Memory: 256MHZ RAM at 133MHz
Monitor: 15" Relisys pile of crap.
Resolution: 32-bit 1024x768 60Hz
CD-R/W: 32x4x4 TEAC W54e

uh, that's possibly more than you need to know, but hey - knowledge is power. :)

Oh, and one more request - is it possible to bypass the intro movie, it takes a while to flick into 640x480 start the movie, I have to click to cancel it then it flicks back to 1024x768 - I'm thinking maybe if I remove the file, or does it read from the CD?

Thanks as a pre-whatsit to anyone who can provide help.

FlipZam
Jan 06, 2002, 11:14 PM
Hey sk0tie and Dan, if you can hear me through all these yells for help...

I had a thought (rare as they are) about the "long wait between turns on big maps" issue. Is there any chance is may have something to do with trade? Why I say this is when you get to over a 100 cities the PC must work out who can trade what with who for each city and things must get hairy. On my "Huge" I noticed that when I finished building three airports in three towns on the same turn, the time it took before giving me the option screen in that city was really long (around 3 minutes). The same happened with harbours. All other city inmprovements that were built in that turn let me select a new option to build right away without a wait.

So you guys that have the long wait, avoid building 100 airports at the same time

Anyhow, just a thought. I recon you guys probably know what's causing it already and are trying to remedy the situation.

Many thanks for attempting to right the wrongs!:D

pascal_nz
Jan 07, 2002, 01:21 AM
Yeah!!!!!!!!! It finally works!

I now have complete faith (just ;) ) in infogrames! foR THOSE with whom the patch does not work (the modified exe) try deleting the movies folder!

YEHA! Im very very happy - Cheers all those that helped me out

:) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D

FlipZam
Jan 07, 2002, 12:06 PM
Ok, er, yeah. Well I take what I said back. I do have a bug. :cry:

I thought something was a little odd. I have just finished developing advanced flight and I still cannot rail anything...I have the steam power advance...but I cannot build rail. Oh well, what's 56 hours of ones life anyway...:crazyeyes

Winseer
Jan 13, 2002, 12:48 PM
When you obtain steam power, you use SHIFT-R rather than just 'R' to railroad, AND you need to be wired to a coal square.

If you don't have any coal, then you've got to get your begging bowl out and ask a neighbouring civ...

If you are playing an isolationalist scenario on a continent all to yourself, then you've got a problem!

:egypt:

jlindon
Jan 15, 2002, 09:44 AM
How do those with windows xp

"test drivers for your sound card and video card that support DirectX 8.0 and DISABLE 3RD PARTY APPLICATIONS":crazyeyes

KrazyClay
Jan 15, 2002, 03:06 PM
Help!!

I just purchased CIV III today and am eager to get to civilizing!

After installing and upgrading w/ the patch, I begin to run the game and the intro movie comes up fine and then afterwards, the screen goes to black and in a blue tinted message-box the message "SELF-DIAGNOSIS
PC DISPLAY SETTINGS
CORRECT?"

appears. I hear the music/sound affects in the background, but try as I may, nothing else will happen, I cannot even ctrl-alt-del out of it(just lost an english assignment because of this).

My cpu meets all of the req, excelling in all but my pII is only 350mhz(a lil slow) and 192RAM. All of my drivers are up to date and I have no idea of what to do. I also have my display settings in the ctrl panel set to the correct setting, so that's not it.

Video: ATI 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2x (GT-C2U2)

Thanks 4 reading,
clay

oklahoma boy
Jan 15, 2002, 06:10 PM
Despite discovering the required techs, I can't build railroads. Even my automated workers don't build them. The other civs can and do, but I can't. Downloaded the 1.16 fix and uninstalled everything and reinstalled it, but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

FlipZam
Jan 16, 2002, 11:52 AM
Hey, KrazyClay
I think you got that famous monitor out of sync error, and that wierd message is your monitor telling you so. Try set your monitor to Standard "monitor 1024x768" NOT "monitor 1024x768 @ 75Hz" or "Plug and Play Monitor". To do this, right click "My computer icon" --> "Divice Manager" --> Click plus next to "monitors", them click properties --> driver --> Update driver. If you're lost from there yell, but from here its different for Win95, win98, ME.

Better yet, try locate an inf file for you specific monitor.
Have fun.

KrazyClay
Jan 16, 2002, 08:20 PM
Concerning my moniter...I'm using WinXP and it is listed as a default moniter...and w/ no drivers installed. when i try to update the driver it asks for the hardwares installation disk...is that from my XP disk or computer package disc(it's a HP pavillion moniter, i got it w/ my cpu a few years ago).

also, you mentioned trying to find an inf for my moniter...how would i go about doing that?

thanks for your help!!

clay

Cocksy_Boy
Jan 17, 2002, 12:37 AM
Hi there everyone

I've been having a monitor (perhpas refresh) type problem. I've looked through some of the posts, but its 6:30am here - and ive been up all night working, so here goes:

Setup:
I have an AMD K6-2 500, with a Gigabyte GA-5AA M/b, 192MB RAM, Soundblaster 16 PCI snd crd, a Diamond Speedstar A90 AGP graphics, and a Viglen Envy 15P Monitor. I am dual booting in 98SE and 2K Pro, I have the newest drivers for everything except the monitor, for that i am using the windows default monitor.

Problem:
Ok, so in 2k Pro, i load the game, and the intro comes up fine, then then screen goes blank, but i can still here the sounds - i think the links/buttons still work, but i cant see anything! But, I boot into 98SE, and it works fine - but in general, my humble old pc runs a lot smoother in 2k, so i would be most appreciative if i could get it wotking in 2k

Thanks for any help

Cocksy

BradC
Jan 17, 2002, 08:10 PM
Did you install the patch? Once you've done that, you can apply the "refresh=60" switch in the Civilization.ini file (read about it in the Readme.txt).

That fixed the same problem on my 2K machine.

Brad

cavalier870
Jan 17, 2002, 11:45 PM
I have an EMonster500 running W2K.
Intel PIII - 500
64MB Ram
DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)
Vidoe Card - Voodoo3 3500 tv (Omega 1.03b) - 3dfx
Video Driver - 3dfx Version - 5.0.2195.232
Audio Driver - Crystal SoundFusion Version - 5.0.2184.1

I have tried quite a few things but the game still runs the splash screen then the monitor clicks a few times, shuts off and then back on but only sits at a blank screen, there is no raising the task manager from here.

thanks for your time

FlipZam
Jan 18, 2002, 03:26 AM
Generally all those black screen/ monitor going click, click then black or going onto standby are related to the refresh rate being to high for the monitor. If you aint got the patch, Get IT! and try Brad's suggestion.

For an inf file, go the the manufacturer of your monitor's web site.
Look for support or something along those line and look for drivers. Look out for your monitor's model number.
Most unfortunately don't give a rip or don't have a site. Good makes will have one. But setting to Standard VGA 1024x768 (not Standard VGA 1024x768 @ 75Hz) instead of Plug & play has fixed this issue on two buddies machines, (both 98 though).

Nic Thompson
Jan 23, 2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Despiser
Look familiar folks? but it's a new game. you change the object of the game to get as far as you can. I made it all the way up to 1995 AD!

module CIVILIZATION3.EXE at 018f:0046046e.
Registers:
EAX=078e9fd4 CS=018f EIP=0046046e EFLGS=00210202
EBX=00000004 SS=0197 ESP=00abfa48 EBP=00000000
ECX=00000000 DS=0197 ESI=0000002f FS=0d8f
EDX=00000001 ES=0197 EDI=ffffffff GS=0000
8b 01 52 ff 90 80 00 00 00 50 56 57 b9 c8 b0 5e
Stack dump:
00000000 078e9fd4 0bf80032 078e9fd4 00467196 00000001 ffffffff 0000002f 00000008 00609970 005dc980 078e9fd4 004835f0 00000000 00000008 078e9fd4

Yes, I get this issue as well. I have found that I consistently reproduce this error whenever I progress to the industrial age and Nationalism is discovered. Both times I have encountered it, I progress, have the option to research Nationalism and a few others, choose one of the others and it immediately gives me Nationalism anyway and produces Despiser's message. I can't recall having this issue prior to the patch but I am not pointing the finger at it.

Nic Thompson
Jan 27, 2002, 06:25 PM
Decided to bite the bullet and reinstall the game. Reinstalled and the games, which were crashing on changing to the industrial era, started working. Then ran the patch file and tried one of the others and still no problems so that's all cool. Problem was probably introduced with one of the mods to the bic file I had implemented. I can live without the mod since it's the gameplay I'm after, after all. :D

sk0tie
Jan 29, 2002, 11:38 AM
I started this thread way back in October and I was shocked to see how many people have read it. I recently looked through the thread and I see there are still a few issues that I did not cover. Here is a complete guide to making sure this game works correctly on all of your systems. This includes some old, and new fixes that we have come across. Thank you for all of your support in our products! :)

Let's Begin--

First, try disabling any extra background programs. You should just have "Explorer" and "Systray" running in the background. Anything else may cause conflicts. You can do this by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL and using the "End Task" button on all the extra programs one at a time. Alternatively, if you are using Windows 98, Windows ME or Windows XP, you can go to START->RUN, type in "msconfig" (without quotations), and hit "OK". This brings up the System Configuration Utility where you can put the computer into a "Selective Startup" and remove the check mark from the "Load Startup Group Items" check box. Click "OK" and the computer will ask you to restart. Go ahead and restart, and when the computer comes back up, you can tap CTRL+ALT+DEL and verify that just Explorer is running. If not, manually end task on the extra programs and then test out your game.

If that doesn't work, verify that you have the newest drivers for your video card and update as necessary. You can obtain information about your video card by going to START->RUN and typing in "dxdiag" (without the quotations). This will bring up the "DirectX Diagnostic Tool". Go to the display tab and you can find out the "Name" of your video card, the "Main Driver" which it uses, and the "Version" of that driver. Once you have that information, go to START->SETTINGS->CONTROL PANEL, double click the "System" Icon, go over to the "Device Manager" tab, open up the branch called "Display Adaptors", double-click on the entry for your video card listed there, and go to the "Driver" tab on the new window that comes up. Here you can see the "Date" and "Provider" of your video driver.

With all of that information, you should be able to go to your manufacturers website, and download and install the newest video drivers. If you are uncomfortable going through that process on your own, you should call the people who support your computer and have them walk you through the process of updating video drivers.

Beyond that, you should consider checking what monitor drivers your computer has installed. Go back to the "Device Manager", but this time open up the "Monitors" branch. You should just have one monitor listed here. It will probably say "Default Monitor" or "Plug and Play Monitor". It is ideal to have a driver installed for your monitor which actually has the monitors proper name. For example, "Dell 1726" is listed on my computer. You can ask your hardware manufacturer if they have specific drivers for your monitor. If such a driver is not available though, you should try one of Window's standard monitor types. To do this, start by making sure you only have one monitor listed in this section of the Device Manager. If there is more than one, "Remove" the extra monitor (highlight the monitor click remove). You can usually tell which one should be removed by looking at the name. Always remove the "default" or "plug and play monitor" instead of whatever else might be there if there are two monitors listed. If there is just one monitor, we can get started.

Double-Click on the monitor listed there. Go to the "Driver" tab on the window that should pop up. Click on the "Update Driver" Button. This will give a welcome screen, click "Next". You will now be presented with an option to "Search..." or to "Display a list...". Choose to have a list displayed. On the next screen, select the option to "Show All Hardware". Now, on the left side, scroll up and select "Standard Monitor Types". On the right side you will now have several options to choose from. If you are using a laptop computer, select "Laptop Display Panel 1024x768". If you are using a desktop computer select "Super VGA 1024x768@75Hz". Then keep clicking "next" until you can eventually finish the process. When it is finished, restart the computer, and then test the game.

The above process is not known to be dangerous, but you may want to consult your hardware manufacturer before doing any system changes. It may invalidate your warranty and there are some models of hardware which are not compatible with certain settings.

Sound issues are another reason why the game may lockup during the movie. Check your sound card Playback device and make sure it is set correctly. To do this, click on the Start Menu and go to Settings, then Control Panels. Locate and double-click on Multimedia (Sounds and Audio Devices for Windows 2000/XP) and switch to the Audio tab. Under Playback Device, make sure that it says your sound card type, and not "Use Any Available Device", or "Standard Device". For example, I have a SoundBlaster 16, and the PlayBack device is set to "SB16 Wave Out [220]".

Finally, if none of the above steps help, try reducing the number of fonts in your Windows\Fonts folder to something below 256 fonts. The game uses the "Lucida Sans" font. You might consider deleting any Lucida fonts from your fonts folder and replacing it with the Lucida Sans font from the Civilization III folder.

If after trying all of these, and the game still tends to crash, or behave oddly, reinstall the game and make sure that it is installed into the default directory, and not in the root directory of the C drive. Download and install the patch we have available from http://www.ina-support.com/patches/ and hopefully that will eliminate the problem.

Good Day! :)

sk0tie
Infogrames, Inc
Tech Support, North America

Shogun Pip
Jan 29, 2002, 11:58 AM
Hi. I don't seem to be able to use the left right up or down Arrow keys anymore to move units arround, although I can still use the diagonals. I have downloaded the patch and It worked fine before I got the patch and for one session after. I have had to use the go to command every time I want to move no on the diagonal which is annoying. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.:confused:

Cronauer
Jan 30, 2002, 11:57 AM
Hi Skotie....i've got this

Video Card Name Cyberpro2000PCI
Manufacturer Integraphics Systems
Approx. Total Memory probably 1 Mb

the driver version is 4.0

Ca n i play Civ 3 with this video card?
I can only choose 1024*768 with 256 colors or 800*600 with 16 millions.........is there a patch to play game with lower resolution?
Thanks

s. bottomfeeder
Feb 04, 2002, 10:38 PM
i have found that i can play civ3 fine on small or tiny maps. any map size standard or larger always causes the game to quickly crash with a "civ3 has generated errors and will be closed by windows" message. i've played and won on small size maps so i wonder if this is the same bug as the civil disorder menu glitch or the industrial age problem. any suggestions?

win2000 pro
intel 3 550
nvidia tnt2
256ram

Despiser
Feb 05, 2002, 06:35 AM
It's not the same bug. I've had the crash in the industrial era on any size map. I've been running fine since I reverted back to ver 1.07f and applied the crack from the site I mentioned on another thread. What an odd concept: Go out and buy the game only to have to run a cracked copy to get it to work?!

ebolav35
Feb 06, 2002, 07:37 AM
Trust me, I've tried all those things, Skotie...to be honest, I have been appalled at how nonexistent tech support has been for this game. I bought Civ 3 the DAY it came out, and have only been able to play it running win 98. Because I refuse to let a game force me to downgrade my OS, I currently have XP, and the game runs in slow motion. It's not selective, everything is equally slow, as though my units are moving through molasses. I have told tech support about this the week the game came out, and have only gotten two ultra generic responses since then. I want to know how to go about getting a refund, because this game is clearly violating my EULA...

gthe
Feb 08, 2002, 05:33 AM
Hello, I seem to have the same problem as someone in another post :
if I save a game after a few turns the next time I try to load it, it won't load and gives me an error message but the game does not crash. I can still load older games and they work fine. But this way I loose a lot of time and I can't go any further in the game anymore!
So far I haven't seen any solutions posted here and the problem is there either with or without the patch for 1.16f
Help.. anybody?
Oh and let me say that this has only happened recently (up to then I was playing and saving just fine) and I am already in the industrialization era.
I also tried it in another computer, got the same..
John:confused:

primus
Feb 08, 2002, 09:00 AM
sk0tie;
I was having the following problem. When I try to play Civ 3, The initial startup screen is blurry and there are 3 separate copies of it tiled vertically on my screen. The fix was to install the drivers for my monitor. The game wouldn't run under any compatibility modes, but as soon as I did this it worked. I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I thought I would post it anyway.

Bob101101
Feb 09, 2002, 09:03 PM
I had the messed up problem and i fiddled around and found a funny trick.

I first changed the res from 1024X768 to lower and then launched the game and it was fuzzy and then the 15 seconds ran out and the res changed back and the game is good but i have to do this every time

gthe
Feb 11, 2002, 02:13 AM
I found out what the problem was with my corrupt save games..
I was a Barbarian settler unit I had previously inserted some turns before using the multi-tool, and caused the problem after the units were captured by my troops. Any save after that could not be reloaded..
I deleted the unit and enjoyed gameplay ever since..
john:D

GaryNemo
Feb 19, 2002, 12:14 PM
Maybe someone can help. I get up to about 5 cities, discover iron, and the game crashes repeatedly. I submitted a prior game to help@us.infogrames.com a week ago. That was on 1.17f. I started another game on 1.17f, and a similar thing happens. I just got iron, click production to swordsman, and poof. Last weeks' game crashed in end of turn, I was building Immortals. I tried loading a prior game with Legionaries, and it works. But the games with the Immortals, and the current game with Swordmen, can not proceed.

It crashes at the same machine instruction:
0177:00559f5a

Last week's crash report here:

Fri 2/15/2002 9:30AM GaryP22.Sav
Now on Civ 1.17f Patch, disappointed, this game is
dead...
module CIVILIZATION3.EXE at 0177:00559f5a.
Registers:
EAX=3a7b2c27 CS=0177 EIP=00559f5a EFLGS=00010217
EBX=0000000f SS=017f ESP=00abf1c4 EBP=00000008
ECX=00000001 DS=017f ESI=0ac232d0 FS=1acf
EDX=00000006 ES=017f EDI=0000f1fa GS=0000
66 39 78 04 75 f8 3b cb 74 13 8b 5e 4c 8b 7c 24
Stack dump:
0ac232d0 00000000 00000000 00000000 0055a3d1 0000000f
0000005b 00000000 00abf28d 0ac232d0 0ac23640 00000000
00abf228 005a15c3 ffffffff 0040471b

Sat 2/16/2002 9PM
Having restarted from a prior Save file, and ran
forward,
different tech etc, it crashed again here...
module CIVILIZATION3.EXE at 0177:00559f5a.
Registers:
EAX=c91f5cac CS=0177 EIP=00559f5a EFLGS=00010286
EBX=0000000f SS=017f ESP=00abf1c4 EBP=00000008
ECX=00000001 DS=017f ESI=0ac20570 FS=116f
EDX=00000006 ES=017f EDI=0000f1fa GS=0000
66 39 78 04 75 f8 3b cb 74 13 8b 5e 4c 8b 7c 24
Stack dump:
0ac20570 00000000 00000000 00000000 0055a3d1 0000000f
0000005b 00000000 00abf28d 0ac20570 0ac20770 00000000
00abf228 005a15c3 ffffffff 0040471b

Kimi
Feb 20, 2002, 03:00 AM
The last patch did nothing to fix any of the numerous load bugs in mine, so I finally gave up and deleted the freeking thing.

So much for customer support. Never did get a decent reply after almost 2 months of trying.

no1_vern
Feb 20, 2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by oklahoma boy
Despite discovering the required techs, I can't build railroads. Even my automated workers don't build them. The other civs can and do, but I can't. Downloaded the 1.16 fix and uninstalled everything and reinstalled it, but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

no1_vern
Feb 20, 2002, 08:51 PM

Sorry about the previous message. Do you have iron available in your civ? Check to make sure, you cant make railroads without the resource IRON.
Sincerely,
Vern

no1_vern
Feb 20, 2002, 09:03 PM
Hi sk0tie!
After playing for several minutes one of my warriors will win a battle and I will lose the game sounds and the music sounds would constantly sound out the last 1/2 second of music then the game would go to a blue screen giving the error message:

Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
BAD_POOL_CALLER

And give me a memory dump.
At this time I have to hard boot.

Im running

Windowsxp
Dual athlon 1.54 cpus
1024Mb Ram
Radeon 8500dv
SB Audigy Platinum edition
36 Gig hard drive w/2048 paging file

I have Norton Antivirus running in background.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Vern

Axraxes
Feb 21, 2002, 07:48 AM
RE: the post about not being able to build railroads - yes you do need iron, but I believe you also need coal as well.

baggyhello
Feb 26, 2002, 01:22 PM
i recently brought civilization 3 but it doesnt work on the computer i am using we have all the requirments. when we click on anything on the main menu of the game it will come up with this programme has performed an illegal operation. if u click on details this appears
CIVILIZATION3 caused a divide error in module CIVILIZATION3.EXE at 017f:005626c8.
Registers:
EAX=00000051 CS=017f EIP=005626c8 EFLGS=00210202
EBX=00000040 SS=0187 ESP=00a53c8c EBP=00000000
ECX=00a59ccc DS=0187 ESI=00a596fc FS=436f
EDX=00000000 ES=0187 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
f7 79 70 89 41 60 8b 46 04 8b 48 04 84 9c 31 a0
Stack dump:
80000200 00a59030 00a59ccc 00000020 0056289d 80000200 00a56980 00a596fc 00577f16 00a54194 00000295 00000094 00000000 00000013 00a56980 00000001
help me please!

Despiser
Feb 26, 2002, 03:02 PM
You did not mention the version you are running. The latest patch is version 1.17f

CanadnBcn
Feb 26, 2002, 06:39 PM
hey, i'm consistently getting this problem after my turn for 1440 a.d. ends:

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

If this problem persists, contact the program vendor.

CIVILIZATION3 caused a divide error in module CIVILIZATION3.EXE at 017f:00449a93.
Registers:
EAX=00000064 CS=017f EIP=00449a93 EFLGS=00010202
EBX=013fc060 SS=0187 ESP=00abf800 EBP=0000000a
ECX=00000008 DS=0187 ESI=0a295c80 FS=109f
EDX=00000000 ES=0187 EDI=078e3174 GS=0000
f7 3c ab 8b 54 24 14 03 d0 89 54 24 14 8b 54 24
Stack dump:
ffffffff 0a295c80 ffffffff 00000000 01360f80 00000009 00000000 0000000a 00000058 01329954 078dd2a0 078dd2a0 00660f80 005331c0 00000008 00000000 "

I'm currently running windows 98 SE and all my drivers are up to date.
My computer specs are:

-athlon 800 mghz
-128 mb of ram
-nvidia tnt2 model 64 pro video card
-soundblaster audioPCI 128 video card

I've had no other problems with the game until now, but i'd like to know if anyone else is having a similiar problem

Despiser
Feb 27, 2002, 03:57 PM
Try reading the message above you, which is a reply to the message above that, which is exaxtly the same message you posted.

sk0tie
Feb 27, 2002, 04:08 PM
I keep seeing the same error messages throughout the thread. Please take the time to read the thread before you post the exhausted error messages like "Civ3 has caused and IPF in Civ3". The fixes are all explained at the top of the thread. Halfway through the thread you will find another large post that explaines all of the fixes in detail, and how to perform them step by step.

no1_vern
Feb 27, 2002, 06:20 PM
Hi Sk0tie!
Have you read my message?? I searched the thread and wasn't able to find any reference to my problem.
Please look page 6 near bottom of the page for my post.
This happenes intermittantly and is always related to winning a battle.
I have updated all of my drivers and turned OFF everything other than Civ3 and WINXP and I still recieve the error.

MS Knowledgebase says its a memory problem where a function call is trying to release some memory that has ALREADY been released, not a driver conflict.
BUT I cant fix this problem myself, please help.
Vern!

quidveritas
Feb 27, 2002, 08:18 PM
Civ III was running fine till this came up. Now I can't load the game, reload the game, delete the game -- nothing works.

What is an appropriate RPC stub and how do I change this value on my computer?

Michael J. Clinton

Indiana
Mar 01, 2002, 06:57 AM
Well I just installed the game for teh very first time. One an IBM Laptop 600X and a desktop with:
P-II 333
128Megs
Diamond Viper 500 Video
8.5 Gig HD
Creative DVD
Sony 17" Monitor

and both PCs give a General Page Protection Fault in the Civ3.exe1.17f, after about 20 or so turns no matter what I do. Looks like I am not the only one.

Nice to see that the Programmers test their patches before rolling them out.

Going to try and uninstall the game completely and just try it with no patch.

PLEASE FIX THE GAME. I can't believe a company would roll out a piece of software like this and not test it. I don't see a bright future for this company's games if it continues to produce software like this.

Despiser
Mar 02, 2002, 10:44 AM
As I've mentioned before in another thread, if you want to play without the invalid page fault crash, then install the original version and copy over the civilization.exe with a no CD copy of the same name from deleted website. The bug is obviously in the patch and/or running the game from the CD.

loonz
Mar 02, 2002, 12:01 PM
Hi, I've updated civ3 to 1.17f and my game still freezes.I've restarted several new games, only to be disappointed midway by them when the games completely freezes, and they always freeze at the same spot even after reloading from the autosave files. I always play on huge maps with about 12-13 random computer players.I'm running win2k with 256mb ram, 32mb geforce 2mx.Can you resolve my problem?Thanks..btw, the drivers for the monitor and video are the latest.

Lunlupus
Mar 04, 2002, 02:04 AM
Hi Folks:

I have a reproducible error occuring in my Huge world games. 10 civs, I usually play German. It seems that when something nasty is about to happen (been going too well for too long) I get an integer divide by zero error that crashes the game hard. This has happened in a few different games now, usually late - post space race victory and in "keep playing" mode. I suspect its happening when i am being sneak attacked - nuked - by a civ I'm not currently at war with as I did see that happen once before I lost a game and could never recover because my prior saves had been corrupted due to the DataIO City error....

Integer divide by zero errors...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs and eyerolls.

System Specs:
Win2K Pro,
19" Monitor with Rage Fury Pro/Xpert 2000 Pro Video card,
256 Megs of ram,
I turn the game sound off since I have no soundcard for the machine I'm using it on,
Intel Celeron 1GHz processor,
20 Gig Quantum Fireball HD

Anyone else with win2k experience this? Any ideas sk0tie or Dan? Appreciate all responses....

regards,
L:rolleyes:

GaryNemo
Mar 05, 2002, 09:47 AM
I find the tech support good. Back on Page 12 of this thread 2/19, I noted a particular crash that affected my game. I started a new game, got stuck as soon as I discovered iron, at the same place.

I called the phone number for tech support (425-951-7108), listened thru all of the messages about building Courthouses and such, and got a nice fellow. He gave me the EMail address to report a problem. I sent my crash hex messages and the two save files. Within a few days, they wrote back with long instructions to DeFrag etc, wash the CDROM, and reinstall.

I have been delayed because my son tried CtrlAltDel during the DeFrag. Now Windows is reinstalled, as well as Civ3 from the same CDROM and the same download Civ1.17f, and now my games both work. So they were right, the problem was somehow with my computer.

Also, it is more fun now with Swordsmen. -GaryNemo

Lunlupus
Mar 05, 2002, 02:12 PM
When you can get hold of them within a reasonable wait on the phone - I get paid decent money for my time, why should I waste it? What's wrong with having a game that works without crashing? Jeez, ya spend good money, why not get a good game? Imagine poor Joe who goes into town once a month, has no internet access and buys the game for his/her redneck son out in the boonies - you don't hear about him because of that. Will Firaxis pay for his internet connection to dl and install the latest *patches*? Or is he sh*t out of luck - I suspect the latter. From what I've seen on this board, and others, thus far, the game was not ready to be released. Now, while "let the buyer beware" is a valid credo all-too-often for those who vend snakeoil, I strongly suspect that Civ IV won't be suffering near as many complaints because there won't be near so many people buying to complain. Their loss, or ours? :(

Lunlupus
Mar 05, 2002, 03:17 PM
I understand and appreciate the support given and help proffered by all the guys/girls working on this release. I undersatand it's not your fault that the game was released as it has been. I am not very happy with whomever it was/is that is in charge of marketing, however. They probably have runed this company's chances of ever becoming a real player in the world strategic games market.

no1_vern
Mar 05, 2002, 06:43 PM
Despite discovering the required techs, I can't build railroads. <SNIP>
Any ideas?

Hi guy,
3 things your civ needs to build railroad.
1. you must have coal.
2. you must have Iron.
3. You must have discovered steam power.
And you must use the correct key
CTRL-R to build rails to a square and
SHIFT-R to build rails on that square.
If your civ doesnt have coal or iron you must get it from another civ.
Hope this helps.
Vern

negyvenketto
Mar 06, 2002, 03:20 AM
Unfortunately 1.17f does not fix my CD problem. I have a removable hard drive. I have installed the game when the drive was out (the CD was drive F). I still get error message if I try to play when the drive is in (the CD is drive G).
This is very annoying :mad:
If I remove that hard drive, the game run as expected.
Do somebody has the same problem?

Negyvenketto

Alphamale
Mar 08, 2002, 06:37 PM
I just cut and pasted this from a different forum in hopes of a better response.

thanx

Re: EXE Problem anyone have an answer?
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bilas
[B]Hello everyone,

I have been playing CIV3 for months know with no problems, I upgraded to the version 1.16 with no problems. Then I did an upgrade to version 1.17f and know I am getting this error.

Windows 98 Version 4.10.1998
CIVILIZATION3.EXE caused fault #c0000005 in CIVILIZATION3.EXE at address 0257:004030c3

......./ /.............

I can only think it has something to do with the latest patch. I am uninstalling now and will start a new gamewith 1.16 to see what happens. I see other people are haveing similar problems but there seems to be no answer except for the same thing I always here "Check the drivers" ect...

I hope someone has a fix for this soon!

[EndQuote]

I wrote to Firaxis tech support about this issue and was basically told "check with your computer manufacture/Vendor" etc.

I hope some more people write in with this same/similar problem
so firaxis stops passing the buck... My Vendor is looking into this but it would be helpful if Firaxis would begin to record, categorize, and give insights as to a solution as it would seem to have the best monetary motivation to do so. Corporate Taxes are due March 15, so it would be nice to spend a weekend playing civ III March 16 & 17. Hint, Hint, Firaxis

Vini Vidi Vici all except Firaxis tech support

Despiser
Mar 09, 2002, 01:12 PM
Most of the problems reported seem to result from the 1.16 patch. If you got that one to work then your ahead of the game. I contacted Firaxis tech support twice in December and never did get a response, so I found a hacked version of 1.07 that has worked fine ever since.

Gemini
Mar 12, 2002, 10:30 PM
I am currently running CIV III version 1.17g under Mac OS 9.2.1, and find that there are still serious (and obvious) flaws involving sound effects and other matters. Have any of these problems been noted in the PC version 1.17 ?

1. Most of the sound effects associated with combat do not play. In particular I have noted this for combat involving riflemen, infantry, artillery, tanks, mechanized infantry, naval units from galleys to battleships, etc etc.

2. Sound effects associated with movement do not play, such as the running sound of archers,
infantry, riflemen etc etc.

3. The sound effects associated with the workers do not play, such as clearing forests and jungles, irrigating, building roads and mines etc.

4. The volume of the music regularly and suddenly increases dramatically, which means that the volume has to be reset regularly while playing.

5. While patch 1.17f fixed the bug which prevented cruise missiles from attacking units with 1 hit point remaining, the same bug still exists for air units such as jet fighters, stealth fighters, bombers and stealth bombers.

6. Wheeled units such as cannons, artillery and tanks can move in mountains without roads.

7. Artillery, Destroyers, Frigates, Iron Clads, Bombers, Stealth Bombers, Stealth Fighters, Jet Fighters (and possibly other units) effectively have an infinite bombardment range. These units can bombard any square on the map as follows. Activate the unit in question, and select a target in its legitimate bombardment range (as indicated by the bomb or cross hairs icon). Then, without moving the mouse, use the arrow keys to move the map so that the bomb/cross hairs icon is over the intended target anywhere on the map. Finally, without moving the mouse, click the mouse button and the bombardment commences. A similar bug applies to performing recon missions.