View Full Version : Adding/Specifying Custom Music for Civ3

Colonel Kraken
May 04, 2004, 08:09 AM
Now get a great tutorial in this (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=92419) thread!

There was a question about this in the main C&C forum a little while back, so I thought I would list the information here so that it doesn't get lost in the wild blue yonder.

This is the information gathered from that thread:

Firaxis uses MP3s. Make sure the Bit Rate is the same between your songs and the Firaxis Songs. 128kbps @ 44KHz. Make sure that the original bit is checked on the custom MP3 (as is the case with the Firaxis files), so the files have an identical sampling rate to the original bit set.

You can use a "Music.txt" file in the "Text" folder of your scenario to play only the music files you want to have played. However, some caveats:

First, the Music.txt file is not era specific, nor culture group specific. Basically, it plays each mp3 in the file once, then repeats. It does not play them in random order but in the order listed in Music.txt.

Second, from Mike B. of Firaxis (in two e-mails to Colonel Kraken):

I had nothing to do with the implementation of the music nor the music.txt file for scenarios. However, looking at the code, it appears that the music.txt file is used as a list of music files to play in a scenario. When the end of the list is reached, the list loops. So it appears that you could use music.txt to play only a specific list of music files.

This will, however, only work for scenarios because it doesn't appear that music.txt is loaded for default games.

As far as I know, all of the music files in the civ3/ptw/c3c sounds folders are used at some point during the game (in the case of duplicates, the files from later expansions are used). [snip]

I believe that when you are in the Ancient era, the game uses what we termed "build music." It uses several different files to build the soundtrack for the era. Once you finish the Ancient era, the game switches to standard music playback. The music.txt file only controls the build music. So, presumably, once you finish the Ancient era, music.txt is no longer used. [snip]

You can use music files from Firaxis. These are the files I've identified with Conquests. If you know of more Firaxis MP3 files, please let me know. These are the references you would use in the Music.txt file.

Misc\ModernFull.mp3
Misc\MistressWinter.MP3
Misc\MiddleEastern.MP3
Misc\NightengaleFull.MP3
Misc\Greco Roman.mp3
Ancient Music\AncME.mp3
Ancient Music\AncGR.mp3
Ancient Music\AncEC.mp3
Ancient Music\AncNA.mp3
ancient\AncNAfull.mp3
Ancient Music\AncOR.mp3
ancient\AncORfull.mp3
Middle Ages\MidGRFull.MP3
Middle Ages\MidMEFull.MP3
Middle Ages\MidECFull.MP3
Middle Ages\MidNAFull.MP3
Middle Ages\MidORFull.mp3
IndModern\IndGRFull.mp3
IndModern\IndECFull.mp3
IndModern\IndMEFull.mp3
IndModern\IndORFull.mp3
IndModern\SmashFull.mp3
IndModern\StarsFull.mp3
Japanese\Japanese1.mp3
Japanese\Japanese2.mp3
Mesoamerica\MesoAmerican1.MP3
Mesoamerica\MesoAmerican2.MP3

If you plan to use your own music: (paraphrasing GIDustin)

The Music.txt file will NOT look for the MP3 files in the Scenario Search Path (at least they don't for the MTG mod). I had to put my music files in "Infogrames...\Civilization III\Sounds\build\mtg\Blah.mp3". In the Music.txt I have "mtg\blah.mp3". The sounds I found for the MTG mod only sound good when each is repeated separately from the others, so I had to choose one of them and have it be the only one.

I don't know if all this information is 100% accurate, but it's a good start. If anyone has additional information, please let me know.

Special thanks goes out to GIDustin who provided much of the information and to Mike B. of Firaxis who was kind enough to answer my pesky e-mails on the subject. :)

--CK

El Justo
Jun 01, 2004, 12:20 PM
thank you CK for your advice about this stuff. i've successfully implemented it into a scenario i'm working on. just a little tip for those who wish to use custom mp3 files:

shareaza.com is an excellent site to obtain the appropriate mp3 files for your custom music.

i've also noticed a particular pattern that civ3c uses in the industrial era for the music que. i don't have it in front of me but i'd be happy to post it later

Hikaro Takayama
Oct 27, 2004, 06:39 AM
I have some very pertinent info to add to this, that will allow implementation of custom music in even vanilla or PTW scenarios.

First step, as with adding custom graphics or text, is to make a folder with the same name as the scenario .bic/bix/biq file (i.e. my Final Fantasy mod is called Final Fantasy.biq, so I also have a folder called Final Fantasy) Inside that folder, create a folder called Music, and in the Music folder create a folder called build.

Now the next part is kinda tricky, so pay close attention:

In the Build Folder, create three sub-folders (four for Conquests mods). These four folders are:

Ancient, Middle Ages, IndModern, and for Conquests only, MISC

Here's the music breakdown:

In the Ancient folder, you can put 5 files, which must be in the MP3 format specified in the first post. To get these songs to play instead of the default Civ III muzak, you must give the files these names:

AncECFull.mp3: This song is played first if you've chosen a European civ
AncGRFull.mp3: This song is played first if you've picked Greece, Byzantium, Rome, Carthage or Egypt.
AncMEFull.mp3: This song is played first if you've picked any of the Mid-Eastern civs
AncORFull.mp3: This song is played first if you've picked one of the Asian Civs
AncNAFull.mp3: This song is played first if you've picked one of the American Civs.

The Middle Ages folder is similar, but the songs that go in there are thus:

MidECFull.mp3: This song is first played for Euro Civs when entering the Middle Ages
MidGRFull.mp3: First Middle Ages song for the Greeks
MidMEFull.mp3: First Middle Ages song for the Mid-Eastern Civs.
MidORFull.mp3: First Middle Ages song for the Asians.
MidNAFull.mp3: First Middle Ages song for the Americans

The IndModern folder is different, since there are 7 songs in this folder; four industrial era and three modern.

The industrial songs are:
IndECFull.mp3: First played for European and American civs reacing the industiral age.
IndGRFull.mp3: First played for Mediterranean civs reaching the industrial age.
IndMEFull.mp3: First played for Mid-Eastern Civs reaching the industrial age.
IndORFull.mp3: First played for Asian Civs reaching the industrial age.

The Modern Songs are:
Techno MixFull.mp3: First song played for EVERYONE when reaching the modern era, song is also played at the end, when the game is finally won or lost.
SmashFull.mp3: another modern era song
StarsFull.mp3: The last modern song for Vanilla and PTW

For Conquests, the MISC folder contains two songs that are played in the modern era (at least that I have been able to confirm) when playing the epic game or scenarios made from the epic game. These songs are:

ModernFull.mp3
NightengaleFull.mp3

Just like with graphics and text, the game will use the files in the scenario's sounds folder to override the default music. So if, say you wanted the Native americans to start the game with some bad@$$ techno mix you came up with, just make sure that the file is an MP3 with the sampling rate of 128kbps @ 44KHz, and name it AncNAFull.mp3, and put it in the Ancient folder. It's that easy!

I really hope this helped out.

Colonel Kraken
Oct 30, 2004, 11:59 AM
Hey, thanks for that great update, Hikaro!

Eetu Pellonpää
Apr 24, 2005, 10:03 AM
I had to name the "music" folder as "sounds", in order to make my customized playlist work... I'm playing with C3C from Atari's 3 game boxset. Thanks for your great advices!

estrongblade
Jan 22, 2007, 02:56 AM
I know this is old - but it's awesome and very helpful - thank you for posting it all, guys!

WilliamOfOrange
Jan 26, 2007, 07:49 AM
Yes indeed, certainly saved me having to search for it. :king:

WilliamOfOrange
Jan 31, 2007, 07:43 PM
Actually, I have a question.

If I don't really have many long music clips to use and I don't feel like making them era specific would I use the method outlined in this thread, or should I go for the method here ? It seems to me from looking at the Conquests scenarios, there is a music.txt file and it just lists certain music to be played throughout the entire game regardless of eras. Is that correct?

MSTK's excellent tutorial is for era-specific, but can I used the Colonel's method if I only want culture specific, but not era specific, or should I use MSTK's for those purposes?

estrongblade
Feb 01, 2007, 03:34 AM
Sorry, doubled up and couldn't delete this.

estrongblade
Feb 01, 2007, 04:42 AM
OK, I will share some of the problems I have had with the SOE music, and what I've discovered. All discoveries are for Civ 3 conquests, but discuss aspects of the music files in vanilla as well.

First and foremost - If the music file is off, the game WILL crash to desktop with no warning and no error message. Simply put, if you change out music and your game crashes, you will instantly know it's the music. I suggest that you make no other changes for as long as you are playing with the music.

The music in the scenarios you are refering to are specific to the scenarios named. I believe they will play throughout those scenarios. You can refer to the tutorials to see how to do that. I noticed that all of the conquest scenario music text files are very short, with no more than 7 songs in any of them, and they are ALL songs that are already in the main game somewhere.

Contrary to what has been said about 128 bit rates and 44100 frequency, I have discovered numerous differences in both by looking closely at ALL of the music clips in every folder that I have. The Civ 3 vanilla folders for music contain wav files for the xxx(a-i) music, with mp3 xxxFull music files at 128 kbs and 44100 frequency and 11 to 1 compression.

The wav files are still at 44100, but the bit rate is 16 because they are wav files with 1 to 1 compression. You can check all of this yourself by going into the vanilla civ 3 sounds/build/ancient folder and putting you cursor over any of the files inside of it.

This means one must be VERY careful with what one puts INSIDE of any given custom music folder. To not do so is to crash your game. My suggestion, if you choose to change out civ 3c era music, is to match the music you are trying to put in with the numbers and names in the existing file, using a converter if necessary. Rename them as in the folder and enjoy.

Make sure the wav file change outs are short - the longest ones I found were 19 seconds, with all the rest at between 5-7 seconds. They also lead into the full songs. I am not sure if they are crossfaded or not. Still working on that.

I am still working on song change outs with the music.txt and musiclist.text files that came with the SOE biq when I got it. It works with the mod, but when I tried to change out some songs, it crashed hard. I discovered all the stuff about bitrates, etc by reading these tutorials and looking very carefully at every file in ALL of the music folders. I believe that my crashes may be related to length of file or undiscovered errors.

I still do not know how to change out the music using the two music text files, as even when I matched bit rate and mhz, the game still crashed. Aside from what I mentioned above, this could be as a result of a bad file, so I am changing and testing each song one at a time. I shall publish my results when I have finished, but that may be a little while because I'm up to my neck in civilopedia, script and pedcon work right now.

If you discover anything in your own change outs, I'd appreciate your posting anything that works here. I have a good # of files that I want to change in order to better balance the music in SOE, and so could use information on discoveries that worked implementing the music.text and musiclist.text method. The tiny details are the ones that are getting by me - I know all of the basics.

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage though, because there are a great number of songs in SOE (21 in the music.text alone) and I am not sure if the number of files has anything to do with the crashes. I am trying NOT to cut the amount of songs if I can help it.

Thx for anything that finds it's way here.

Cya!

Xixcaliss
Aug 01, 2008, 05:22 PM
Hello Ck,

how can i get this file??

(ancient\AncNAfull.mp3)

Logitech
Feb 10, 2010, 09:50 PM
I believe that when you are in the Ancient era, the game uses what we termed "build music." It uses several different files to build the soundtrack for the era. Once you finish the Ancient era, the game switches to standard music playback. The music.txt file only controls the build music. So, presumably, once you finish the Ancient era, music.txt is no longer used. [snip]

I just did a test for that in DEBUG mode w/ a single MP3 in the music.txt, and advancing to the next era only started the MP3 over again and did not revert to standard music. Sorry to dig up an old thread but I though this is worth mentioning.

estrongblade
Feb 16, 2010, 08:08 AM
Dude! Where were you two years ago?? I needed you then!! LOL!

Unfortunately, the SOE project is on hold, and has been for some time. I was never successful in changing out the music and have now been away from it for so long that I don't even remember how I might have applied your information. Oh, well - life moves ever on.

Perhaps when the SOE project resumes we'll blow the dust off of the old music files and fit your comment into the puzzle somehow. Meanwhile, I am sure that it is something that any modder changing out the music files would need to know. It's always the simple things that are over looked. Take care. Cya!

Logitech
Feb 16, 2010, 11:59 PM
Two years ago?...Let's see, I think I was following a ton of player stories, including OMTT, Spore was unknown to me, and I barely had experience on forums, not to mention civ modding. :D
I found this thread because I needed some insight as to how exactly the music.txt file could be used.
What I'm surprised to see is that Civ 3 has been out for years now, and only now people are making discoveries like the unit charm stuff and now this.

estrongblade
Feb 19, 2010, 09:06 PM
What I'm surprised to see is that Civ 3 has been out for years now, and only now people are making discoveries like the unit charm stuff and now this.

That's the thing about a game as complicated as C3 - once you get into it you can always find new stuff. I just blew the dust off of my MOD after about a year or so away, and I'm still discovering blunders that I need to re-do. Oh, well. I figure it's got at least another 10 years of play left in it, assuming I can find a computer that will play it that long with all these comp modifications and new system changes like win7 and all that other rot...time will tell - hope my nearly 6 year old desktop keeps going for another 10...

Logitech
Feb 21, 2010, 10:44 AM
Quite true. My comp is a few years old now, but I'll bet that with Civ 5 comming soon it will be too slow and such in a few years... 'tis the circle of technology.

EDIT: Yeah, sorry about getting off topic. This thread was pretty much dead though. You could have just said enough OT instead of the whole formal thing :sad:

Blue Monkey
Feb 21, 2010, 10:38 PM
Enough OT. Post about custom music or post elsewhere.

estrongblade
Feb 24, 2010, 09:37 AM
Another interesting thing I discovered about sound bytes in civ 3 has to do with rates. Each of the rates have to fit within a certain parameter in order to be used individually. For example, if you replace the actual music in AncECFull.mp3, you not only have to keep the length of your replacement within a second or two of the length of the original, but the Byte rate itself must match. This definitely requires the use of a decent converter to pull off. I've also noticed that you can custom fit these individual files, but I have not delved deeply enough into sound programs to get many details. As a result, some of my music sound changes did not come out the way I'd hoped. If you have any additions to say about music, please let me know through PM.

<snip>

Moff Jerjerrod
Feb 24, 2010, 09:57 AM
OK, I will share some of the problems I have had with the SOE music, and what I've discovered. All discoveries are for Civ 3 conquests, but discuss aspects of the music files in vanilla as well.

First and foremost - If the music file is off, the game WILL crash to desktop with no warning and no error message. Simply put, if you change out music and your game crashes, you will instantly know it's the music. I suggest that you make no other changes for as long as you are playing with the music.

Contrary to what has been said about 128 bit rates and 44100 frequency, I have discovered numerous differences in both by looking closely at ALL of the music clips in every folder that I have. The Civ 3 vanilla folders for music contain wav files for the xxx(a-i) music, with mp3 xxxFull music files at 128 kbs and 44100 frequency and 11 to 1 compression.

I am still working on song change outs with the music.txt and musiclist.text files that came with the SOE biq when I got it. It works with the mod, but when I tried to change out some songs, it crashed hard. I discovered all the stuff about bitrates, etc by reading these tutorials and looking very carefully at every file in ALL of the music folders. I believe that my crashes may be related to length of file or undiscovered errors.

I still do not know how to change out the music using the two music text files, as even when I matched bit rate and mhz, the game still crashed. Aside from what I mentioned above, this could be as a result of a bad file, so I am changing and testing each song one at a time. I shall publish my results when I have finished, but that may be a little while because I'm up to my neck in civilopedia, script and pedcon work right now.

If you discover anything in your own change outs, I'd appreciate your posting anything that works here. I have a good # of files that I want to change in order to better balance the music in SOE, and so could use information on discoveries that worked implementing the music.text and musiclist.text method. The tiny details are the ones that are getting by me - I know all of the basics.

Thx for anything that finds it's way here.

Cya!

Back on topic. Recently I started putting together my own music for a scenario I'm working on. I created a music.txt file, setup the "build" folder and populated it with my custom music within the Scenario folder. I too made sure that I was using 44100Hz with a 128 bit sampling rate. I too had unexplained crashes to the desktop as soon as a particular song was about to play. Deleting that song from the music.txt resulted in the next song causing the game to crash. I believe though that both of those music files have an issue with them that prevent the game from playing. None of my other custom music caused the game to crash.

Above you mention that the compression ratio for an mp3 must be 11 to 1. I wonder if that is the issue? I don't have a sophisticated enough music converter to check but that could be why we have been having these unexplained crashes with music mp3s that otherwise appear to be correctly setup.

T-mun
Feb 24, 2010, 12:10 PM
Never heard of that "11 to 1 compression", and I'm a sound technician. I believe that very few programs on the market can do that. Even the best programs, those that I use. I'll be searching for infos anyway, I'll post here if I can find anything.

Hikaro Takayama
Sep 21, 2010, 01:41 PM
I've been playing around with the Music.txt file recently and made a few interesting discoveries:

#1, I think I've finally nailed down what is causing the crash with certain MP3 files: It seems to be related to the ID3 tag.... MP3 files created by using Windows Media Player or iTunes would ALWAYS crash the game, but when I used a certain Freeware program called SUPER to convert those files to WAV, then used an old-ass program called Audio Catalyst (it was made for windows 95/98 :lol: ) to convert those files back to MP3 format, but with blank ID3 tags, they worked perfectly with no problems whatsoever.

Furthermore, for those who don't have Audio Catalyst, you can just use SUPER to convert the WAV files back to MP3 format, and they will work as well. (I had a few files I converted from other formats using SUPER to MP3 and they all worked).... The only problem is that SUPER will add the original extention to the converted files, so by the time you get done converting the files, your file will be "Songname.mp3.wav.mp3" which will require you to manually edit every single filename.

Another program that works is VLC media player, but it can only convert one file at a time.... I haven't tried Audacity or any of the other free music editing programs yet, but I'm planning on getting Audacity tonight and will post any updates when I get done giving it a thorough shakedown.

#2: Having taken care of the issues in #1, I'd like to re-emphasize the 44.1 KHZ sampling rate: Even though odd-ball sampling rate songs played after I sent them through my conversion carousel to delete the incompatible ID3 tags (or whatever it was that was causing the crash), if the sampling rate was not exactly 44.1 kHz, the song would either sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks or like a tape recorder with almost-dead batteries... I.e. the songs would be noticeably too slow or too fast.

#3: Finally, the Music.txt file can also handle WAV files, so you can avoid most of the problems by just using WAV format, however that will hog up your HD space.

Here's the free programs that I used that are known good for converting sound formats:

SUPER (http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html)... Also good for converting lots of images or rendering a video into a series of images and vice-versa.

VLC Media Player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) Free & Open Source software... I personally haven't used Windows Media Player ever since discovering this program (it can play and/or convert REALLY obscure/obsolete media formats, such as Amiga MOD files!)

Hoped this helped somewhat.

General 666
Sep 21, 2010, 06:18 PM
All my MP3s have IDTags. So that they`re causing trouble is not possible. More possible is that some of the several subversions of the IDTags could. (There is a major difference between v2 and v3)

VLC can convert AMIGA MOD ? Really ? I still have tons of AMIGA software which I run with the best AMIGA emulator "WinUAE". I have many thousends MOD files. :D

Audacity: I run it for years now. The convert feature is quite poor. But TOP editing tool. Don`t forget to grab the plug-ins/Nyquists.

Other Audio software I`m using :
CDEx ;rip CDs and convert all music files for which you can find a Input or Output plugIn
Audiograbber ;Line-In recording and converting Music files also

Hikaro Takayama
Sep 21, 2010, 08:07 PM
Yup! VLC can play/convert AMIGA MOD files... As a matter of fact, two of the custom songs I've added to my Civ III playlist are Shadowrun by Purple Motion and some song called "Wing Attack" which was included with the "Barneystein 3d" Wolf 3D mod.... Both those songs started life as MOD files. ;)

Also what I meant was that the ID3 version was probably what was casing the issue, hence why a 10+ year old program would create MP3 files with an ID3 format that would not cause problems.

Azmorg
Sep 24, 2010, 12:03 PM
I used Audacity to edit all the music files for CAMELOT! but found it didn't always export properly, leading to CTD. Eventually, at Plotinus reccommendation, I burned all the tracks to a CD, then ripped them back off in one big chunk with RealPlayer. That got them to work. This is also the method Plotinus used for Rood & Dragon. It's a little cumbersome, but RealPlayer has many compression & bit rate options.

tom2050
Feb 03, 2011, 11:37 AM
Hikaro's way definitely works, the sounds will not crash the game if done the way posted in post #21.

Furthermore, to clarify from one of the posts in the beginning of the thread.
Techno MixFull.mp3: First song played for EVERYONE when reaching the modern era, song is also played at the end, when the game is finally won or lost.

This is not the case with Conquests (was with vanilla or PTW); Conquests (for the end song you hear after game is over, you can check this song by retiring your game), uses AFAIK either:
Civilization III/PTW/Sound/Credit Music mix.mp3
OR
Civilization III/PTW/Sound/Gold Menu Music.mp3

Both of these songs are the same as the end song played (you can tell just by listening to them), but I have modified these songs, and they do not change when a game ends. Not sure what the deal is with this. I've gone through every other sound file in all vanilla/PTW/Conquest directories, and there is nothing else the end song could be.

Has anyone gotten the end music successfully changed? If so, what did you do?

Oxus
May 04, 2011, 07:46 AM
Hello, as a musician to me is very important the music in the game. So I took nice music and put it in my favorites CIV 3 MODS. I saw also this with the crashes and what I did to fix it was:
1. Sound editing software(GoldWave in my case).
2. I opened there original mp3 music from CIV 3.
3. With cut/paste option I put inside in the original file another music that I like.
4. Then you click just SAVE and you have new working mp3 file for your CIV III.

But how you see this is so slowly and to do this operation for 20 songs is damned bad. Is anyone know any better way to make one normal mp3 file to working civ 3 mp3 file?

Logitech
May 18, 2011, 06:11 PM
I can't remember if this question of mine was ever answered, so I'm resurrecting this thread for a short time to see if anyone knows the answer.
Has anyone been able to change the Menu.mp3 and gotten it to play? This is similar to Tom's question about the Credit music mp3, which, btw, I have never been able to change either.
400th post! Yay

Oxus
May 19, 2011, 12:21 AM
Logitech that is the easiest. I think you know already where you can find this mp3 file, so you go there and change it with your. Best chance to working is if you get it from Civilization game, but you can even do it with your own file. They say it is something of bit rates , but I think there is more. So because I don't know what, I do that procedure: get in to some sound edit program, put there CIV III mp3 file and then put my own file. With copy/paste I move all the sound information from my file to civ iii mp3 file. Then I just select SAVE option for civ III mp3 and the program save it in original version (= .

Blue Monkey
May 19, 2011, 12:39 PM
When saving make sure all the parameters match the numbers in the OP. File size (time) also makes a difference. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=92419)

Logitech
May 19, 2011, 08:07 PM
Mmmk, I guess I'll just try it again... maybe I'll save it to a .wav file, and then convert it and edit the tags manually.

MeisterGoat
Jun 21, 2012, 10:11 PM
Hello all,

I have been trying for years now (wow, funny how time flies!) to get the mode Rise and Rule to play the in-game soundtrack. Having reviewed this topic, I have created in the RAR folder, a folder titled Music/Build/ that contains the four eras and the era-appropriate tracks.

No matter my efforts, the game always plays indGRfull, every era all era. It's mindnumbingly annoying and I'm desperate to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Certainly I could turn the music off, but... I like the music. So, if someone could please point out what it is that I'm missing, I would be very grateful. Things I've tried-

Placing it in the folder /Sounds/Build instead. Renaming RAR to Rise and Rule. I have not tried using music.txt as that is non-era specific. Again, thanks.

Wolfshade
Jun 22, 2012, 06:21 AM
MG, see the post 3 in the thread.

MeisterGoat
Jun 22, 2012, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Wolfshade! Unfortunately, I have already done just that, as my previous post noted. To clarify:

My first attempt was RAR/Music/Build, with the four folders and accompanying files.
Then I tried it in RAR/Sounds/Build, with the four folders and accompanying files.

It seems like the .biq doesn't check or extend into the Build folder, regardless of where it is placed.

T-mun
Jun 27, 2012, 01:53 AM
Hi MG, not sure it will help you, but have you checked the mp3 or wav "quality" ? I mean bit rate and such. You have to use the proper file format, which isn't the same in every folder as you may have noticed, and have the Music.txt file point to them. If you don't use the right file format, the files won't be read, or may sometimes crash the game. If it plays only one file, indGRfull for example, then there is probably something wrong with your folder or the txt file.
Contact me by PM if you need more help. I can even convert the files for you, it's easy. Maybe take a screenshot of your folder and send it to me with your txt file so I can point what's wrong.

MeisterGoat
Jun 28, 2012, 11:42 PM
Hello there, themanuneed! Unfortunately, it seems I might not have the mettle to slug it out, but tanks for the help! More seriously, as I am using all the default CivIII + PTW + Conquests music and nothing more, all the bitrate seems to be the same: 128kbps. I don't have a music.txt file because that method seems to be non-era specific and I know other mods have preserved the default era-appropriate music? I thought perhaps a copy of indGRfull that is at a different (lower?) samplerate might have been included in RAR somewhere but apparently not.

I would truly appreciate more help, and although I didn't originally forsee the need to convert the game's default music, I'll gladly do that if it will help things. Just to clarify once again.

Conquests > Scenarios > ModTitle (RAR) > Music > Build > Ancient | IndModern | Middle Ages | Misc.

T-mun
Jul 03, 2012, 05:03 AM
Ok, I'm not sure I had clearly understood what you meant. I don't have the "mettle" to read the full thread again but if you need something I can help with, then just ask.

MeisterGoat
Jul 14, 2012, 06:48 PM
My apologies for making things more cumbersome. I just liked your Metal Slug avatar, that was all. :)

To clarify - I want simply to have the default game music playing in the mod Rise and Rule.

T-mun
Jul 18, 2012, 04:58 AM
Hmm... delete the music folder in Rise and Rule ? If this folder isn't there, the game will go straight to the default folder... voila! :D

No apologies needed for the "Mettle Slug" joke, it was perfect :)

Haddu
Dec 08, 2012, 06:52 AM
Made my new audio-files - 128kbps - 44KHz. The game is not going. What else?

as the files are further processed?

Haddu
Dec 08, 2012, 09:09 AM
I found the cause. Need to remove the tag.:)

T-mun
Dec 17, 2012, 05:06 AM
Yes, removing the tag is often needed. Not sure why, as some songs still play with tags on.

MeisterGoat
May 25, 2013, 07:17 PM
I hate to necro this thread, but I never properly gave thanks to themanuneed - thank you, so much! - and more relevant, I finally found what was causing the original music not to play in RAR. I *believe* this will be relevant for any scenario that does not package it's own music files, so:

Having deleted the music file to no avail and given up I had a very weird idea - I remembered hearing back in the day that Conquests used the /Conquests folder as a dependency. I moved the contents of the /Conquests folder to a backup folder; and suddenly, instead of playing the one industrial age song over and over again, the original build music was restored. :) I'm not sure why my attempts to make a separate music folder in RaR were ignored (maybe it should've been installed to Conquests?) but I'll take success. Hope this helps others who have problems with their scenarios playing industrial age music in the ancient age!

T-mun
May 28, 2013, 05:01 PM
:hatsoff: and :goodjob:
I don't deserve such a praise, this thread is full of priceless informations and I'm not the one who posted the most. Anyway I'm glad you found a way around to what you wanted to do. It took time but it was worth it :D
Interesting how we still learn things about how Civ deals with folders :hmm: