View Full Version : Is there a way to alter the traits of a civ for good? or just through a scenario?

Lucius Sulla
May 25, 2004, 02:50 AM
Like I said... I crave to turn the Romans to Ind & Mil, and the Chinese to Agr & Ind, since I quite don't share the view of those civs, as they are by default in the game. I would also alter other civs, but I think these two are the most blatant cases.

Is my only option creating an scenerio in which I would give them this traits, or is there a way to custom the game so I can start an epic game with these civs with such traits?

Thanks in advance.

Drift
May 25, 2004, 03:06 AM
Based on your version (Conquests/PTW/Civ3) you will need to edit either
Civ3\Conquests\Conquests.biq (Conquests) OR
Civ3\Civ3PTW\Civ3X.bix (Play the World) OR
Civ3\Civ3mod.bic (Regular Civ3)

- Backup the file
- Remove write protection from it (right click -> properties)
- open it with the editor, find civilizations, change the traits and save the file.

And there you go. :) If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Lucius Sulla
May 25, 2004, 03:48 AM
Thanks for the ultra-fast answer! :)

I will do so (and it would be C3C... I must say I originally bought Civ3... and after some testing tossed it to a side for other games... but with Conquests I have rediscovered it, and I'm enjoying it now to no end).

Rob (R8XFT)
May 25, 2004, 05:58 AM
Just one word of warning - if you're modifying the biq for your epic game rather than making it a conquest, the game no longer saves any game scores for the "highscores" chart. This might not be important to you though.

Lucius Sulla
May 25, 2004, 08:22 AM
Oh... never paid attention to that, really, just want to feel good myself in how the civs are :)

warpstorm
May 25, 2004, 09:52 AM
The other thing is that any patches Firaxis does will undo your changes. I'd just play with them as a scenario if it were me.

Lucius Sulla
May 25, 2004, 10:07 AM
Just done it... it's just too easy... easy enough to not minding redoing it with a possible patch. Anyway... I'm not using patches, I'm using the Spanish Version of Civ 3 & C3C. The only patch I have found is for PtW, not Conquests.

Rob (R8XFT)
May 25, 2004, 10:37 AM
I think the Conquest patch works with all languages. It can be downloaded from the civfanatics site at this link:
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3patches.shtml