View Full Version : Kings have feelings too!

Kiech
Jun 22, 2004, 03:12 PM
I am working on a mod, and well, it involves kings. So I have been doing some research on this topic, and since there seems to be no guides to kings here, I thought I would try my hand at a short one! Note that this involves the current editor, that comes with C3C v1.22.

If you play the standard epic game, you will notice that the AI kings really don't do a whole lot. In fact, they just sit there until they finally get regicided out. There is a small dispersion of king units if you play with the 'mass regicide' option, but these valuable units are plainly not used by the AI.

But what do you do if you WANT the AI to actively use the unit? Well, first I suggest choosing 'mass regicide' just in case the AI gets really unlucky with the unit. Then, you need to allow them to 'capture' and give them an AI strategy. Once this happens, you will find that the AI suddenly have no qualms about using the unit.

The 'Offence' strategy is one you SHOULD NOT pick generally. The only real exception for using this is some sort of RPG scenario where the AI starts with no cities/settlers.

'Explore' will keep the kings away from combat as much as possible...but they will split up amongst the world and very well may be vulnerable.

'Defence' is an excellent option. The AI WILL use the kings to attack, but with prejudice. However, if the AI lacks better units, you will find that the king units will be rather brave during war.

'Explore + Defence' is the best availible option. The AI will send out a few kings to explore, but will keep a few behind and only send them out into combat if the unit is strong enough to do so.

It is important to note that in most games, the king units will slowly become quite vunerable. Offer several upgrades to keep the kings on par with the other units in the game.

As a king unit, they cannot be built, but they CAN be created through special buildings or even enslavement. Enslavement to king is a very nice option to keep the AI from killing itself off quickly.

StJimmy
Jul 05, 2005, 07:40 PM
Im sure that many people will overlook this thread, but id just like to say you have a very good point, kings can often be your best units. And the AI not using them is just very annoying if you are somebody who likes to make many small scenarios (Like me, for instance) that often involve only king units, and cities to upgrade them in. (If you are not one of those people, then i pity you)

Jimz

SheepMonster
Aug 22, 2005, 03:58 PM
They should have done that with the japanese conquests scenario