View Full Version : An *ACTUAL* election for the Seven Wonders of the World...

shirleyrocks
Nov 20, 2001, 05:00 PM
Here's your chance to vote along with other citizens of Earth for the 'New 7 Wonders of the World' ('new' as opposed to 'modern').

"Much time has passed since the 7 Wonders of the World were last selected. Now on the threshold of the third millennium, our view of the world is characterised by a global consciousness. It is, therefore, an appropriate time to determine the new seven symbols of the most important human accomplishments of the last 2000 years. During the initial phase of the project we have received well over 5.5 million votes from over 200 countries. This global acceptance and the great success expressed in the number of votes received has been overwhelming and has strengthened our belief that we are on the verge of bringing about a meaningful dialogue between the citizens of the world."

It all has a very 'civ' feel, naturally.

http://www.new7wonders.com/

Hamlet
Nov 21, 2001, 08:26 AM
Intresting, if pointless.

Kahran Ramsus
Nov 23, 2001, 12:07 AM
Interesting. Not all my choices were even on the list. Might as well post them here.

In no particular order:

1) The Colosseum
2) The Golden Gate Bridge
3) Angkor Wat
4) The Rideau Canal
5) The Great Wall of China
6) The Leaning Tower of Pisa
7) Hoover Dam

goododa
Nov 23, 2001, 02:22 AM
1. The Hanging Garden In Babylon
2. The Great Wall in China
3. The Pyramid in Giza
4. The Colossus in Rhodes
5. Sistine Chapel in Rome
6. The Statue of Liberty in New York
7. Magellan's Expedition

Le Petit Prince
Nov 23, 2001, 10:04 AM
pyramid
great wall
great library
empire state building
Louvres
babel tower
yucatan pyramid

Kahran Ramsus
Nov 23, 2001, 11:53 AM
To the last two posters:

The wonder has to still be standing. That was the purpose of this. Plus, you cannot choose the Pyramids as they were part of the original seven.

JoeM
Nov 23, 2001, 12:06 PM
Tower Bridge
Nelsons Column
Leicester Square
Big Ben
Houses of Parliament
London Eye
Millenium Dome

(!)

Oh and fluffy dice, I've always wondered about those...:D

Sorry for taking the mick, but does this site actually carry any weight?

spycatcher34
Nov 25, 2001, 04:19 PM
"Does this site actually carry weight?"

Ofcourse it does!:rolleyes:

You must really like london eh? Dont worry it happens to the best of us.

Anyways im saying we get this on track add last suggestions, narrow list and scrath out no goes.

(My leadership role persona;))

Hamlet
Nov 25, 2001, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by goododa
1. The Hanging Garden In Babylon
2. The Great Wall in China
3. The Pyramid in Giza
4. The Colossus in Rhodes

Such imagination!

spycatcher34
Nov 25, 2001, 07:45 PM
:lol: hows about the millenium bridge?:lol:

knowltok
Nov 27, 2001, 09:31 AM
I'm no expert on it, but doesn't the Chunnel spring to anyone's mind?

Pyramids are a must as is the Great Wall

Panama Canal is pretty important too.

Transiberian Railway is pretty impressive too.

Julien
Nov 28, 2001, 09:41 AM
I like this kind of votes !:goodjob: :crazyeyes

So here are my choices :

Ancient World (until 500AD) :

1) Great Pyramids in Giza
2) Tower of Babel in Babylone (if it isn't a legend)
3) Hanging Gardens in Babylone (if they ever existed as well)
4) Acropolis in Athens
5) Labyrith and Palace of Knossos
6) Collosus in Rhodes
7) Colloseum in Rome

also worth including : Temple of Zeus in Olympia, Pharos at Alexandria, Temple of Artemis in Ephesus, Mausoleum in Halicarnasus, Palatina in Rome (and all the city), the Great Libraries (Thebes, Nineveh, Alexandria), Temple in Jerusalem,...

Medieval World (500-1400AD)

1) Great Mosques (Cordoba, Istanbul, etc.)
2) Aztec and Mayan temples
3) Great Cathedrals (any, as they are numerous : Chartres, Rheims, Bourges, Paris, Cologne, etc.)
4) Great medieval castles (Carcassone, Tower of London, many in Germany...)
5) Buddhist sculpures, such as the Daibutsu (Great Bronze Buddha) in Kamakura (Japan) or Borrobudur (Java, Indonesia)
6) City of Angkor (Cambodia)
7) Hindu temples in India, such as in Madurai (Tamil Nadu), Thiruvalampaturam (TN), Chariot Temple of Konark (Orissa)...

Renaissance and Modern Times (about 1400-1750)

1) Italian Cities : Rome (including Vaticano), Venice, Florence, Pisa, Verona, Milano...
2) Great Wall of China
3) Taj Mahal and Red Fort in Agra, India
4) Great Mosques in Medina and Mecca
5) Kremlin in Moscow
6) Amsterdam
7) Great French chateaux and palaces (Chambord, Versailles, Louvres...)

And also : Praha, Sevilla, Brugge, ...

Revolutions and Contemporary World (after 1750)

1) New York City : Statue of Liberty, Empire State B., WTC (lost!)...
2) White House in Washington
3) Sagrada Familia in Barcelona
4) Royal Palace, Wat Prah Kaew and others temples in Bangkok
5) modern Hong Kong
6) Hollywood
7) Disneyland (any)

And : Neuschwanstein Castle (Bavaria, Germany), Sintra Castle (Portugal), Warwick Castle (UK), St Petersburg, Mount Rushmore, Las Vegas...

Out of Time

1) Jerusalem
2) Varanasi, India
3) Paris (Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Invalides, Notre-Dame, Versailes, Champs Elysees...)
4) Peking/Beijing (Forbidden city...)
5) London (Parliament, Big Ben, British Museum, City and Tower and London, Piccadilly, Shakespear Theater...)
6) Salamanca, Spain
7) Oxford

Any other ideas ?

willemvanoranje
Nov 28, 2001, 11:37 AM
Ancient World:

Pyramids of Giza
Colossus of Rhodos
Great Wall of China
Hanging Gardens of Babylon
Lighthouse of Pharos
Zeus Statue
Minos' Palace (= labyrinth!)

Medieval:

Krak de Chevaliers
Chichen Iza
Cathedral of Chartres
Sistine Chappel in Rome
Alhambra in Granada
Machu Pichu
Dome of the Rock

Late medieval - New Time - Modern Time

Tâdj-Mahal
Himedji Castle
Versailles
Pavilion of Brighton
Houses of Parliament in Brighton
Neuschwanstein
Statue of Liberty
Sagrada Familia
Empire State Building
Amsterdam (1. (still) great trade city, especially 1575-1750 2. because I live there 3. because Julien had it as well :d)

redtom
Dec 01, 2001, 07:20 PM
In real life (ie. outside in the sun)

1. Great Wall - Absolutely massive, superb engineering and planning.
2. Hanging Gardens of Babylon
3. Channel Tunnel - Sheer engineering and workmanship.
4. The Great Library
5. The Pyramids
6. The Statue of Zeus
7. The entire Constantinople defense complex - 2 layers of massive walls, its own water supply, sea defenses etc.

P.S. I know Constantinople fell to the Ottoman Turks but it was surrendered through error - they saw one Ottoman Turk on the inside of the walls, thinking there was more, they surrendered

PSS. Before anyone starts attacking the Crusaders for what they did to the Turks/Arabs, just remember what they did to the Christians within their empire

vega
Dec 01, 2001, 08:33 PM
sorry, but the white house cant be a wonder.....its a copy of a smaller building in germany, woerlitzer park

my suggestion for a modern wonder: space station MIR

Julien
Dec 01, 2001, 10:14 PM
I am so amazed to see how many people choose the hanging gardens or the great library as wonders. Sorry to say that, but you really lack imagination and can't even think of other wonders that actually exist throughout the world. I often see the Pyramids as well. Allright, they are great, but why do you keep citing wonders that were the 7 original ones or mainly others that were in Civ games (Great Wall, St Peter of Rome, etc).

What's more nobody knows how were the Hanging Gardens as no trace has been left, and archeologists/historians are not even sure they actually existed. It was not very clever of you to claim it in YOUR actual 7 wonders. The OP, shirleyrocks, also ask to think of modern wonders or some still standing today.

No need to say again the 7 original wonders, ie : Temple of Zeus in Olympia, Pharos at Alexandria, Temple of Artemis in Ephesus, Mausoleum in Halicarnasus, the Colossus of Rhodes, the Pyramids of Giza and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. Of all 7, only the pyramids are left standing anyway.

Landmarks from around the world can probably be considered as wonders of the world. I would add to my previous list these ones :

- The 2000 year-old Rice Terrace in Banaue, Philippines.
- Mosques and city walls of Timbuktu, Mali
- The Kinkaku-ji temple in Kyoto
- The Palace of the Winds in Jaipur (India)
- The temples and palaces of the valley of Khatmandu (Nepal)

And this is wthout considering Natural Wonders.

I think the World Heritage list of the UNESCO is a kind of new Wonders of the World list. ;)

Most of the wonders I have cited in this thread (other post) are placed where I have actually been (except in the US, Russia, China). I'd like to listen to which wonders you have actually seen by yourself (like the Pyramids, Acropolis, Colloseum, St Peter, etc.). This would be more intersting, as otherwise you just speak in the air, without that it means anything outside your self-imagination (like the Hanging Gardens that nobody has ever seen).

Enjoy !

Nishdog
Dec 05, 2001, 04:22 PM
1. The Internet
2. McDonald's
3. BEER (granted, this is hardly new, but it deserves mentioning) :beer:
4. Area 51
5. Hollywood
6. Graceland
7. Charisma Carpenter :love:

JoeM
Dec 06, 2001, 07:03 AM
I completely agree with Nishdog, and Good Grief! How come fermentation isn't on the Tech Tree?? Allows a Civ to see the Wine terrain, and the building of the Pub city improvement.

Please, oh Please someone do a Mod Pack for this or I'll have to find out how to do it myself!

:D

Sodak
Dec 06, 2001, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Julien
I am so amazed to see how many people choose the hanging gardens or the great library as wonders. Sorry to say that, but you really lack imagination and can't even think of other wonders that actually exist throughout the world. I often see the Pyramids as well. Allright, they are great, but why do you keep citing wonders that were the 7 original ones or mainly others that were in Civ games (Great Wall, St Peter of Rome, etc).

It's clear why the Great Wall and the Pyramids continuously come up on such lists - They are absolutely amazing engineering undertakings, accomplished by civs with a knowledge not even remotely as advanced as ours. And to top it off (I've not seen the GW in person :(), the pyramids are actually amazing even by modern engineering standards. The limestone facing is mostly gone, but even the stone base is unbelievably straight. I'd bet even truer an edge than the sides of your favorite modern building. It's really mind-boggling how well constructed they are, even 5500+ years later. Ancient reports indicate that the lost facing was glass smooth, something I don't doubt for a moment. Not only the construction, but the alignment of everything on the Giza complex is highly structured and mathematical. Considering the age and technology of the time, I think they blow away most modern "wonders." That's why they still make the list!

Others have posted ideas I like, such as the Alhambra, the Taj Mahal, and other fine buildings. However, the leaning tower of Pisa is a lovely mishap, not a wonder. The only wonder at Pisa is the unending river of tourists who pose in front of it, pretending to hold it upright, smiling for the picture as if they were the first to come up with the photo idea. :rolleyes:

How about Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument? That's some impressive stone work, friends.

Julien, isn't the temple of Artemis still partially intact?

knowltok
Dec 06, 2001, 01:10 PM
Crazy horse is damn impressive. Dwarfs Rushmore. Been a while since I've been there. What is the most current estimate of when it will be done?

Nishdog
Dec 06, 2001, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by JoeM
Good Grief! How come fermentation isn't on the Tech Tree?? Allows a Civ to see the Wine terrain, and the building of the Pub city improvement.

Please, oh Please someone do a Mod Pack for this or I'll have to find out how to do it myself!

:D

Are you talking about Civ2 or Civ3? In civ2, you can edit the rules to add technologies (like fermentation), and change the name of an existing improvement like Temple into Pub (same effect though, with the happiness and all), and change the graphics for any improvement.

In civ3, it's simply a matter of choosing a useless technology (like Philosophy) and changing the name to Fermentation; then choose the Wine terrain and make it require the Fermentation advance to be seen. But I don't know if you can change icons for civ3 (not really important for me, as I just rather concentrate on gameplay than silly icons).

But if you get rid of a tech like philosophy, make sure to flatten the tech tree so that you no longer need that tech to do useful stuff (like Philosophy is needed to discover The Republic; change The Republic so that it requires Code of Laws and Literature, for example).

And just imagine a new Great Wonder: The Drunken Orgy
It can increase population by 2 instead of 1 :lol:

Julien
Dec 07, 2001, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Sodak,
Others have posted ideas I like, such as the Alhambra, the Taj Mahal, and other fine buildings. However, the leaning tower of Pisa is a lovely mishap, not a wonder. The only wonder at Pisa is the unending river of tourists who pose in front of it, pretending to hold it upright, smiling for the picture as if they were the first to come up with the photo idea.

How about Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument? That's some impressive stone work, friends.

Julien, isn't the temple of Artemis still partially intact?

Did you have a look at the link in the first post of this thread ?
http://www.new7wonders.com/e/ancient.html

You'll find the answer about the temple of Artemis ; only one column remains.

I had the Taj Mahal and the Alhambra in my (a bit too long) list as well, by the way.;)

Sodak
Dec 07, 2001, 01:28 PM
I don't know when the Crazy Horse monument is supposed to be completed. I grew up not far from Mount Rushmore, but haven't been there since the 80s. At that time they figured before 2010, then old man Borglum died. Whether that sped up or slowed the progress down, I don't know.

Sodak
Dec 07, 2001, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Julien
Did you have a look at the link in the first post of this thread ?
You'll find the answer about the temple of Artemis ; only one column remains.

Ah... I had skipped past that page to the voting page...

JoeM
Dec 11, 2001, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Nishdog

And just imagine a new Great Wonder: The Drunken Orgy
It can increase population by 2 instead of 1 :lol:

Thanks Nishdog I'll be onto it straight away, but surely an arguement could be raised for beer to be neccessary before you can get the population to consider deposing the Monarchy, and come up with the idea of Republic...? ;-)

Joe

Ren
Dec 16, 2001, 05:31 AM
I don't see what the big fuss is over the damn golden gate!

Stefan Haertel
Jan 05, 2002, 06:13 PM
My picks

1. Brandenburg Gate
2. Kaiser Willhelm Gedächtniskirce
3. Siegessäule
4. Gendarmenmarkt
5. Unter den Linden
6. Fernsehturn/Alexanderplatz
7. Rotes Rathaus

Umm... now my serious picks ;)
Modern age, which is meant these things have been built between ca. 1880 and today. (Dates aren't quite correct in some places I'm afraid, second dates are dates of destruction or dates in the change of role)

1. Eiffel Tower in Paris (1889)
-Obvious choice, it is the symbol for an entire nation, and one of the most famous buildings of the world.
2. Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco (1937)
-The highest supsension towers, and, IMHO, the most beautiful bridge in the world (hey, it was one of the primary reasons why I visited the city!)
3. World Trade Center in New York (1971/2001)
-Before it was completed, it became a myth (think about the King Kong film of the 1970s, for example). World wide, it later became the symbol for a) prosperty, b) New York and the US, and c) the word "skyline". Now it could be one of the most important structures to ever have been built on earth, even though it doesen't stand anymore.
4. CN Tower in Toronto (1976 I think)
-The highest self-supporting building in the world, the second highest ever to be built (the highest was in Warsaw, but that fell during renovations in the mid-seventies)
5. Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur (2000)
-Highest business building in the world, symbol for South East Asian prosperty ("Tiger States"), and possibly the new WTC in its own rights.
6. Kaiser Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche in Berlin (1894/1945)
-A tall church in Berlin, but its outstanding value is that it is the largest and most impressive anti-war monument in the world
7. -Can't think of a further building that is worth the title "Wonder", so I'd claim this one has yet to be built

Headline
Jan 08, 2002, 02:37 AM
Amsterdam (1. (still) great trade city, especially 1575-1750 2. because I live there 3. because Julien had it as well

Say

Long time long time ago, there was a ancient greek or egyptian traveling around the world

one day he found an mysterious device on the ground

There was a red button on the device

looked like Latin

and there were arabic words looks like this "Jan 01 2001"

so he pressed

suddenly he felt a moment of pitch black

then he found himself in a city

the city has rivers

so he got on a boat with a group of black hair and yellow skin people (hint: tourists)

he sat on the boat, a ship that he never imagined can exist

The boat sailing around the webs of rivers

He looked around

Everything are so amazing!!!

Finally, the boat stopped at a marvelous building which looks like an palace. (hint: maybe it's the parliment)

It is almost night

suddenly there are fire shooting up in to the skyyyyyyyy!!!!!

Waaaaa!!!!

(probably saw some firework)

He stared around but the time didn't allow him

It was pitch black again and he returned back to the same spot he once stood on

so he went around telling people his story

one of them came to Plato's home and told Plato's uncle a story

The Atlantis:lol:

Atlantis is a city with webs of rivers. In the middle of the rivers is a marvelous palace.

but it was destoryed by volcanos:goodjob:

I am just kidding,,,,,,:D

Oda Nobunaga
Jan 27, 2002, 10:20 PM
My votes (from the selection I could pick from).

Taj Mahal - (Civ II player reflex) - Gotta vote for MY palace! ;)
Statue of Liberty - A symbol of a burgeoning state that grew in a titan. Remind me somehow that despite all the imbecilistic stuff America pulled out over the year, they did a more than fair share of good too.
The Versailles Palace and Park - A masterpiece of architecture and such.
Sydney Opera House - A modern symbol.
Machu Picchu - Amazing in its own right.
Angkor Wat - See Machu Picchu
Kyoto - The home for centuries of one of the few imperial line that can claim to have stayed unbroken over the course of well over a millenium. A beautiful city in its own right, and I'm a Japan maniac, so I just had to nominate something there.

History_Buff
Jan 27, 2002, 10:57 PM
One only.

WORLD TRADE TOWERS

O. . . wait I thought I heard something explode just awhhile ago, maybe we should check on those. . .

Kennelly
Jan 28, 2002, 01:52 AM
Few months ago I voted:
-Aachen Cathedral(because I´m a patriotist)
-Great Wall (just amazing)
-Eiffel Tower (symbol of the Industrial Age)
-Roman Colliseum (I love the antica)
-Taj Mahal
-Macchu Picchu
-Empire State Building (Symbol of modern ages)

Locutus
Jan 28, 2002, 05:36 AM
IMHO, in this particular situation, wonders should first and foremost be great feats of engineering. Since Pyramids aren't allowed, my vote goes to these seven:

1. Angkor Wat (Siem Reap, Cambodia)
2. Great Wall (China)
3. Meenakshi Temple (Madurai, India)
4. Petronas Towers (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) -> replacing the Pyramids
5. ISS Alpha (Space)
6. NORAD (Cheyenne Mountain, CO, US) / Panama Canal (Colon-Balboa, Panama) -> can't choose between these two...
7. Channel Tunnel (Folkestone-Sangatte, Great Brittain/France) -> Japanese Seikan Tunnel is more impressive from an engineering point of view but political and social-cultural factors should here be considered as well

Edit:
Due to the limited selection of choices in this particular election, I voted for:
1. Angkor Wat
2. Great Wall
3. Kremlin
4. Timbuktu
5. Chichen Itza
6. Familia Sagrada
7. Easter Island

Henrique
Jan 28, 2002, 06:33 AM
here are my votes:

1- Statue of Liberty

2-Taj Mahal

3-The Sydney Opera House

4- the leaning tower of Pisa

5-the city of Jerusalem

6- the Itaipú Dam (i´d put the hoover dam but i discovered the itaipú dam is bigger)

7-the international Space Station (not sure if this the right name): i know its not in earth but its the first pass for spacial colonization and therefore it will be a world wonder when completed.

Jimcat
Jan 28, 2002, 08:49 AM
It's hard to vote for something like this without regional preferences creeping in. So, I will vote for...

The 7 Wonders of the United States:

1. The US Capitol complex (including all the monuments of Washington)

2. Manhattan (with or without the WTC, still a wonder of the nation or the world)

3. Kennedy Space Center (space stations come and go, but this is still the only facility ever to send men to the moon)

4. The Sears Tower in Chicago

5. The Gateway Arch in St. Louis

6. The Golden Gate Bridge

7. Mount Rushmore

Jimcat
Jan 28, 2002, 09:11 AM
And just to take this to a ridiculously local level:

The 7 Wonders of New Jersey!

1. The Boardwalk of Atlantic City

2. The Victorian houses of Cape May

3. The Hoboken railroad terminal

4. The Garden State Parkway

5. The Twin Lighthouses of Atlantic Highlands

6. Princeton University

7. Edison's Workshop in Menlo Park

FredLC
Jan 29, 2002, 08:15 AM
People, i never agreed with the denomination "Wonders of the World". I mean, the world has LOTS of natral wonders - The Seas, Tthe forests, he mountains, the waterfalls, the geisers, the lakes, all og them umatched by any human work.

Calling the greatest humanity's achievements "Wonders of the World" is a signal of the utter pride of ancient times, when e didn't recognized the value of the nature.

Let's leave the world it's wonders and call the human works "Wonders of Humanity" or "Wonders of Mankind".

I think it's just fair.:)

Nahuixtelotzin
Jan 29, 2002, 11:27 AM
I'd go for:

1. Taj-Mahal
2. Statue of Liberty
3. The Great Wall
4. Angkor Vat
5. Hagia Sophia
6. Moai of Easter-Island
7. Chichen Itzá Pyramid

€ønqui$tadør
Feb 06, 2002, 05:01 AM
interesting thread. i'll just focus on man-made wonders for now. in no particular favourite order:

Great Wall of China
Taj Mahal
Angkor Wat
Haghia Sophia
Chichen Itza Pyramids
Roman Colosseum

i think Angkor Wat is interesting 'cos i saw a documentary that said the Angkor Wat when looked from the air is actually an accurate replica of a constellation (i forgot which). that constellation happened to be at a certain important location at the year it was built.

a pity most buildings are ancient buildings and not enough choices are given. the moment i saw this thread the first modern thing that popped in my head was the Three Gorges Dam. It makes Hoover Dam look insignificant.

macaskil
Feb 06, 2002, 09:22 AM
Wonders of the World

I'm limiting these to

- last 2,000 years
- still standing
- buildings (ie not "Genome Project" etc, nor works of art (Mona Lisa, terracotta warriors))
- man made

1 Taj Mahal
2 Great Wall
3 Colusseum
4 St Peter's Basilica
5 Eiffel Tower
6 Empire State Building
7 Forth Rail Bridge

I think this gives a good spread of eras/cultures though Europe may be over-represented.

The only ones of these I have actually SEEN are 3,4,5 and 7

Reserve list

8 Angkor Wat
9 Zimbabwe
10 Pantheon (Rome)
11 Statue of Liberty
12 Petra
13 Pont du Gard
14 The Kaabah in Mecca

ibollica
Feb 07, 2002, 07:25 PM
1. Civ3
2. Age of Empires2
3. Starcraft
4. Zeus, pharaoh,caesar
5. Counter Strike
6. Quake3
7. Imperialism2

Only Joke.......;)

1. Off course Pyramids
2. Computers (microprocessors,internet etc.)
3. Hubble Space Telescope
4. Arecibo (name will be wrong) radio telescope
5. Eiffel Tower
6. Empire State Building
7. Hagiasopia (Ayasofya)

pavelsu
Feb 08, 2002, 12:24 PM
I was in Spain a few days ago and saw the more spectacular palace than I have never seen (and I have seen Versailles), "El Escorial", it should be added to the possibilities list.

Shastram
Feb 09, 2002, 01:01 PM
Julien came up with such an impressive list... I wonder why so many of these great wonders Like Taj Mahal or Statue of Liberty that have good historical impact are missing from Civ3 (I think I'll add them ;-)

Here is my small list after voting on that site:

The Great Wall of China
The Taj Mahal
The Roman Colosseum
Aachen Cathedral
Eiffel Tower
Pyramids (chichen itza)
The Empire State Building

Of course, I would add great man made wonders like the CN Tower, its really nice to walk on the glass floor on top of the CN Tower..i went there with my niece and nephew, my god the lil kids were so happy to look down! Its an amazing place. The WTC, even though it doesnt exist anymore, it will keep a very important place in the history. The Red Fort, The Golden Temple (In Amritsar India), definitely the space station MIR, the ruins of Stonehenge, the UFO Crop Circles :alien:
the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center and if I can, definitely the conception of the WWW and the Discovery of DNA.

These are man made :)

:cooool:

allan
Feb 09, 2002, 06:25 PM
Wonders of exploration, engineering and technology:

The Apollo program
The internet
The chunnel
The Shinkansen ("bullet train" of Japan)
The Concorde
The Voyager space probes
The Hubble telescope

Spiritual wonders:

The Kaaba (or, the whole city of Mecca)
The Sistine Chapel
Shwedagon Pagoda
The Taj Mahal
St. Basil's Cathedral
Tikal
Angkor Wat

Julien
Mar 23, 2002, 10:39 PM
Pavelsu, El Escorial is not a palace but a monastry and burial places for the Habsburg family (of Spain). There are lots of great monastries in Europe. I have been to El Escorial as well and was also pretty impressed. It's huge, but lacks in refinement. It's a bit too massive and dark.

Shastram, why Aachen cathedral ? It is one of the oldest cathedral in Europe, but probably one of the smallest and least impressive as well. Believe me, as used to live half an hour from there. I'd rather choose St Peter of Rome, Sevilla or Milano's Cathedrals or any great French ones (Rheims, Chartres, Amiens, Paris, etc).;)

Allan, you probably know that the French TGV and the European Thalys (France, Belguim, Germany, Netherlands...) and Eurostar (France, England, Belgium) are faster (and much cheaper :D !) than the Japanese Shinkansen. Nonetheless, the Shinkansen was the first...:p

Parmenion
Mar 23, 2002, 11:21 PM
1 - Channel Tunnel
2 - Taj Mahal
3 - The Statue of Liberty
4 - The Great Wall of China
5 - The Golden Gate Bridge
6 - The Arc de Triomphe
7 - The Apollo Space Programme

sysyphus
Mar 24, 2002, 11:17 AM
Here's two that I'm quite surprised that haven't popped up yet:

CN Tower
Sydney Opera House

pavelsu
Mar 24, 2002, 11:49 AM
Pavelsu, El Escorial is not a palace but a monastry and burial places for the Habsburg family (of Spain). There are lots of great monastries in Europe. I have been to El Escorial as well and was also pretty impressed. It's huge, but lacks in refinement. It's a bit too massive and dark.
But it is this massive and powerfully style (and even macabre) what impressed me. An example: there needed seventeen of us to surround a column.:eek:

sysyphus
Mar 24, 2002, 08:09 PM
Never mind my last post, I should take the time to read things better :crazyeye:

Anyway, another possibility although not very well known is Tumili Park in Kyeong-ju South Korea. There are some amazing historical things here, including tombs of many great kings and the world's oldest observatory.

The entire Kyeong-ju area has some great temples, including one built into the side of a mountain.

Not many people from outside of Korea and Japan ever get there, I'd strongly recommend it to anyone who gets half a chance.

SKILORD
Mar 26, 2002, 09:48 AM
Hubble telescope

Sears Tower (or whatever the tallest building is)

Golden Gate Bridge

Colluseum in Rome

Appolo Program

statue of Liberty

The Great Wall

Lt.Col. Kilgore
Mar 28, 2002, 06:00 AM
I voted:

Great Wall

Colluseum

Sagrada Familia

Ankgor Wat

Petra

Pyramid (Chichen Itza)

Versailles Palace

Definately cool picks! I'm esp. happy to see Ankgor Wat on there. I was afraid it might be left out.

ChrTh
Mar 28, 2002, 06:50 AM
1. Pyramids (I don't care what 'qualifications' people want to put on this list, but considering they're still standing, it has to be one of the greatest engineering feats of all time. That said, I don't think the Great Wall of China should be on the list, because it's only a marvel due to its sheer length...it didn't take an Archimedes or an alien to build it).

The rest are in no particular order:

2. The Big Dig (the I-93 Construction Project in Boston). Simply unbelievable. Yeah, it's a huge waste of taxpayers dollars at this point (way over budget), but the fact that they're able to do it boggles the mind.

3. The Space Program. I'm including everything from Apollo to Voyager to Mir to Hubble to the International Space Station in this one, because each builds off the last. The remnants of humanity will one day exist only in space-borne objects.

4. The Course of Empire, by Thomas Cole. Five Paintings that completely and decisively sum up the whole of our existence. Buried in relative obscurity in the New-York Historical Society (77th and Central Park West), although you can see them on the web. Of course, seeing them in person is breathtaking.

5. The complete works of Beethoven. It seems incomprehensible to me that one man could dream up so much beauty, yet he did. (Feel free to substitute a favorite composer of yours in this item, or the more literary-minded might substitute Shakespeare)

6. The Titanic. Supposedly the height of mankind's ingenuity and skill...instead, the victim of its pride. Tells us more about us than we really want to know.

7. The number 'i'. It doesn't exist; it's an imaginary number. Yet not only did we determine it's existence, it is an invaluable part of our mathematics. Profundity and absurdity.

Ribannah
Mar 28, 2002, 05:44 PM
[1] Stonehenge
[2] The Alphabet
[3] The Thousand and One Nights
[4] The Great Law of the Iroquois
[5] The VOC (Dutch East Indies Company)
[6] Kruger National Park
[7] The Internet

boRGa
Apr 09, 2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by redtom
In real life (ie. outside in the sun)

PSS. Before anyone starts attacking the Crusaders for what they did to the Turks/Arabs, just remember what they did to the Christians within their empire

Hey.. whats wrong guys? why many of the greek and english guys always accuse Turks... what is the reason of your hate... There is NO lack of humanity for turks against christians in that period nor present... in contrary, tolerance of indulgance of ottoman governments was SO broad... it s just manipulation of west... they are just provocating you against us...

Wake Up!

Julien
Apr 09, 2002, 09:15 PM
You are probably right. Turkish people only arrived in the 15th century from Central Asia to present day Turkey. It's a great pity that so few people still confuse Arabs and Turks just because they are both Muslim and Midlle-Eastern. The same confusion happens between Iranians and Arabs, or even still with Afghans and Pakistanis, who are taken for Arabs by uneducated masses (o just a bunch of imebeciles) as we have seen recently.

Speaking of the Turks, I think they are and have been much more tolerant and European-friendly than any Arab nation.

By the way, did you know that Turkish language was in the same family of languages as Mongol, Korean and even very remotely Japanese !:eek: They are also very distant cousins of Suomi (Finnish), Estonian and Magyar (Hungarian). They form together the Ural-Altaic group of languages that are neither Indo-European (yes Urdu, Punjabi and Hindi in Pakistan and India are related to English and you can find a few words a bit similar !), nor Semitic (Arabic, Hebrew), nor either Sino-Tibetan (Chinese, Tibetan, Thai, Burmese, etc).

Bamspeedy
Apr 15, 2002, 04:29 PM
What I find weird about that site, is 24% of the almost 6 million votes came from Peru. :confused:

allhailIndia
Apr 15, 2002, 09:47 PM
Here's my vote
1.Taj Mahal-A marvel of architecture and was nearly destroyed by the Brits!!:mad:

2.Hagia Sophia--Again architectural genius and beauty

3.Roman Colosseum--Roman perfection and architecure

4.Eiffel Tower--FAntastic speed of construction and a real monument of the INdustrial age

5.Statue of Liberty--Symbol of freedom obviously:D

6.Pyramids of Chichen Itza--Amazing construction genius, without the wheel!!:cool:

7.Angkor Wat--Just huge and magnificent