RiverWorld map

MaisseArsouye

gentil petit nuton
Hi guys !

Maybe some people remember I used to make maps for CivIII. After 4 years off-business, I come back with maps for Civ V.

These maps are about RiverWorld, a SF cycle by Philip Jose Farmer. This is a planet with a single river in a sigle valley, bordered by high mountains and zig-zagging across the whole world. For complete informations, please go to Wikipedia.

I give you two versions of the map :
- the "poor" map has quite no ressources, like in the novels.
- the "random" map has normal random ressources and is easier to play

Both are 90X59

I choosed to use coast plots to make the river, so that boats can sail it. And, IMHO, it's closer to the spirit of the novel.

I hope you'll enjoy it.

Attachments

• RiverWorld.zip
    12 KB · Views: 325
  • RiverWorld.jpg
    RiverWorld.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 2,215
Wow I've been wishing there was a riverworld civ 5 map for a while :).

When I try to select one of these maps, its say invalid map file tho. Anyone know why this is?

Never mind, it was because I needed to update Civ 5 to the latest version. It's working now!

I was hoping for one of these in Civ4! I played a game on Noble- I turned up the City States to the maximum and set the Civs to 16- there's a lot more land on this map than a usual Standard map, and I probably could have added even more AI civs.

I like how it changes world exploration and so on, but I have a couple nitpicks-

There aren't nearly enough luxury resources on the "Random" map. I started three games before starting somewhere within twenty hexes (!) of a luxury. It's a challenge, sure, but it makes expansion difficult without constantly building happiness improvements

I've read Riverworld, so I know it's supposed to be lots of grassland, but it looks kind of boring in Civ V. Also, there's no fresh water, so no +1 Food boost for freshwater farms- maybe add some little one- or two-hex riverlets every twenty tiles or so on the coast of the main river?

I like the map, and I hope you keep workin' on it!

Thanks for comments.

Actually, the random map should have exactly the same amount of luxury ressources as any other map with the same size. But I could work on a more playable map.

Thanks for comments.

Actually, the random map should have exactly the same amount of luxury ressources as any other map with the same size. But I could work on a more playable map.

Oh! I figured it out, I think you may have labelled your maps incorrectly. I'd always played the 'random' map, never found many resources besides Wheat, Cow, etc... on a whim, I tried the 'poor' map and started right by some Iron and Wine.

So, yeah, I think you just need to switch the labels on the two maps.

EDIT: playing a new game as Inca on the "poor" (actually rich) map with 20 civs and 30 CSes, raging barbarians... still so much land! :goodjob: And plenty of room for Terrace Farms! Started in the Classical Age, and I built Stonehenge, so
Spoiler :
it's like Pachacuti woke up amongst 13th-century Incans and Ancient Iceni Britons :lol:
(minor Riverworld spoiler)

Top Bottom