Can't Click to Continue

_somaholiday

Chieftain
Hello, I'm new to Civ - I purchased and installed Civ V and the Cradle DLC bundle on Steam the other day and got a few hours of play in with no problems. Yesterday and today, though, I can't get past the "click to continue" screen. I've tried looking online for a solution, but haven't found one yet. Has anyone else had this problem recently? I'd appreciate any help with this.

Hmm, what do you mean by that? Do you click on the "Click to continue" but nothing happens? Does it crash? Are you using any mods or something like that?

Yes, when I try to click the "click to continue" button, it doesn't allow me to. The game doesn't actually crash, it just sits there on the screen and I eventually have to close it through the task manager, since it won't let me do anything. I only have the base game and the Cradle of Civ DLCs. No mods.

I just tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Steam, just in case, but now I am having to reinstall my games - of course that is taking forever, lol. Just my luck.

I'm not really very tech savvy at all, but I also checked my firewall settings, and both Steam and Civ V are checked to be allowed through. I'm not really sure what the problem could be, since it was running like a champ the other day when I first purchased and installed it. I'm on a brand new computer my boyfriend built for me, running Windows 7 64-bit.

Have you tried to create a game with other config? I mean in another map with another civ, see if it loads, or else try a random game, just to see if it MANAGES to load.

I'm reinstalling the game now, but Steam is being really slow. I'm hoping a reinstall works, but we'll see.

Okay, so I've reinstalled the game and this time not only can I not proceed past the "click to continue" screen, but the screen appears as though it is enlarged and I'm only seeing the top left corner. What the heck is going on?

I verified the integrity of the cache and it gave me a message that it was successful. I never receive any kind of error message, it just doesn't work. This is pretty frustrating, since all the components for my computer are new and are beyond capable of running the game. I have a feeling I'm going to be spending the rest of my recovery trying to figure out why my game won't work, instead of playing. Very nice of the game to lure me in with 5 hours of play without any problem before it chose to stop working altogether.

Okay - so the resolution issue seems to have fixed itself, since the screen is back to looking normal. Although the resolution on my monitor never changed once, so I'm not sure what the problem really was in the first place.

However, I STILL cannot get past the screen where I need to "click to continue". Seriously, is no one else having this problem? I have no idea what is going on with this, since it worked fine the day I originally installed it, and I haven't gotten any response from the game's tech support. This is really frustrating.

I only have one idea - its something I've come accross occasionally and its game resolution related - possibly Catalyst related too....

Sometimes where your mouse points isn't actually where the game thinks it is - try clicking around to the right of where it says "click to continue" - if it works then as soon as the game starts go to the options screen and select a different resolution (you can select the previous setting afterwards if you like). This then somehow resets the problem.

It's the only thing I can think of.

There is an option to let the game Autoadjust the resolution or something like that. Perhaps removing that option can help. That function disturbed me like hell.

I only have one idea - its something I've come accross occasionally and its game resolution related - possibly Catalyst related too....

Sometimes where your mouse points isn't actually where the game thinks it is - try clicking around to the right of where it says "click to continue" - if it works then as soon as the game starts go to the options screen and select a different resolution (you can select the previous setting afterwards if you like). This then somehow resets the problem.

I have tried clicking everywhere on the screen, and it still doesn't work. Thank you, though.

Basic system specs would help to ascertain if it's directly hardware related; there are multiple ways to get the information but DXDIAG is probably the quickest and simplest you can find it by hitting the start menu on your OS and searching for dxdiag, save as a text file and you can copy/paste over to here.

He's meaning the specs; what your system looks like.

The quickest way is to post your DXdiag; do you know how to do it?

I'm sure it's either a game error or a Steam error - all components in my computer are brand new and the system as a whole runs like a champ. This thing with Civ V is the only thing I've had a problem with so far, and even that was after 5 hours of the game running completely smooth. My system didn't change overnight.

I'll take a look at the DXdiag though, if that can help anyone give me some insight on this or more hopefully, a solution. I have no idea what that is, though - like I said, I'm not really tech savvy. I'm an anthropology major, lol, I've never been into computer science.

I'm sure it's either a game error or a Steam error - all components in my computer are brand new and the system as a whole runs like a champ. This thing with Civ V is the only thing I've had a problem with so far, and even that was after 5 hours of the game running completely smooth. My system didn't change overnight.

I'll take a look at the DXdiag though, if that can help anyone give me some insight on this or more hopefully, a solution. I have no idea what that is, though - like I said, I'm not really tech savvy. I'm an anthropology major, lol, I've never been into computer science.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=379992#5

- System Information
Current Date/Time: Saturday, July 09, 2011, 12:47:15 PM
Computer Name: COLLEEN-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group
System Model: H67MH
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/16/11 18:30:12 Ver: 04.06.04
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Page file: 1759MB used, 14587MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

There's my DXdiag info - when I checked the other tabs, they did not list any problems.

Originally Posted by Indrasnet

I have tried clicking everywhere on the screen, and it still doesn't work. Thank you, though.

Just to rule this one out - when you move your mouse pointer over "Click to Continue" - does the text turn blue?

Top Bottom