Svevlad's Reality MOD

Here are some of the changes:
-Siege and motor-driven units (tanks, catapults, etc) cannot enter jungle except the Giant Robot of Death
-Forest and jungle have increased movement cost since it was silly to drive movement 4+ units through a forest like it is a grassland.
All units have Sight range decreased to 1 with exceptions like naval units, scouts,...
-Elephants are fine-tuned to give player a comfortable feeling while using them and are also more real. Indian War elephant has now increased strength because it is an elephant, not war chariot and has a more powerful ranged attack similar to archer's. Also it has a fairly increased cost.
-Scouts will not be rendered obsolete until Rifling. I am planing to make a radar unit someday to make scout its predecessor.
-Roads can go through forest but not through jungle. Jungle roads are more like a goat path than actual roads. In order to build one in jungle tile, you have to remove it first
-Increased defense modifier in jungle to 40% (it is a jungle after all, not forest)
-Decreased movement of ancient siege units to 1 because stupid devs made them look like they were pushed by human labor not horse-dragged. I will also change this someday because it gets really on my nerves. So in the future, Catapults and such will require horse resource. It somehow has more logic than iron requirement.
-Catapults no longer require iron (maybe I am wrong here but this way it gives you a siege unit even when you are tricked by the game's stupid resource placement. -Ballistas require iron though and have a range of 3 unlike catapults which have range of 2. Subject to change
-Also, tech tree is reworked and inspired by the Better Tech Tree mod, so now in order to research mathematics and build a catapult YOU NEED WHEELS. Period.

catapults could be driven by oxen
so i think no horses should be required

That is partially historically correct. The Romans did it with oxen and it certainly solves a resource and movement problems. Thanks for the good advice, I will try to make it!

Here are some of the changes:
-Siege and motor-driven units (tanks, catapults, etc) cannot enter jungle except the Giant Robot of Death

Not true at all. Un

-Forest and jungle have increased movement cost since it was silly to drive movement 4+ units through a forest like it is a grassland.

Not really.

-Roads can go through forest but not through jungle. Jungle roads are more like a goat path than actual roads. In order to build one in jungle tile, you have to remove it first

This is a road going through a jungle.

-Decreased movement of ancient siege units to 1 because stupid devs made them look like they were pushed by human labor not horse-dragged. I will also change this someday because it gets really on my nerves. So in the future, Catapults and such will require horse resource. It somehow has more logic than iron requirement.

This is an incredibly stupid change but one that you're going to fix with the oxen so good job.

-Catapults no longer require iron (maybe I am wrong here but this way it gives you a siege unit even when you are tricked by the game's stupid resource placement.

What about the trebuchet? Will cannons now require iron?

Not true at all. Un

Not really.

This is a road going through a jungle.

This is an incredibly stupid change but one that you're going to fix with the oxen so good job.

What about the trebuchet? Will cannons now require iron?

People go through jungle using machetes, what would tanks do? Eat the trees? Or fire? No, maybe the whole crew will step out and start making a road for a tank! With such a dense vegetation and mainly unpredictable terrain it would be ******ed to even try driving anything through it. Tanks can go through jungle only via road and period. Also roads CAN be built through jungle but you will need to remove it first in order to build a normal street or a highway. Also because I could not make in-game jungle impassable for motor vehicles without disabling a road-through-jungle build option. Trebuchet requires iron atm, cannons should also and the thing about siege weapons, my friend, is that they are SLOW, and cant move as good as the rest of the troops because they are pushing/pulling a big, bulky wooden beast that is made for destroying fortifications, not running into close combat with the enemy. So, if I have not reduced a movement speed of siege weapons then I should have to increase movement of all other weapons...

And one more thing, it was REALLY annoying to watch a catapult or whatever assemble and fire in the same turn.

People go through jungle using machetes, what would tanks do? Eat the trees? Or fire? No, maybe the whole crew will step out and start making a road for a tank! With such a dense vegetation and mainly unpredictable terrain it would be ******ed to even try driving anything through it. Tanks can go through jungle only via road and period. Also roads CAN be built through jungle but you will need to remove it first in order to build a normal street or a highway. Also because I could not make in-game jungle impassable for motor vehicles without disabling a road-through-jungle build option. Trebuchet requires iron atm, cannons should also and the thing about siege weapons, my friend, is that they are SLOW, and cant move as good as the rest of the troops because they are pushing/pulling a big, bulky wooden beast that is made for destroying fortifications, not running into close combat with the enemy. So, if I have not reduced a movement speed of siege weapons then I should have to increase movement of all other weapons...

If you're truly aiming for realism, you'd make it so that the early siege machines are built on the spot then. :rolleyes:

Also, apparently a man with a machete can get through a jungle but a tank can, you know, just run through the bush?

This is a tank. This is a jungle. This is the Pacific Theater of World War 2.

This is a Type-97, World War 2 era tank (the kind represented in game for the most part)

You'd be better off giving tanks/mounted units a penalty for defending in rough terrain (geddit? Because they don't get bonuses for defending in rough terrain already meaning the change is already reflected) than trying to disable movement through forest/jungles altogether in a misguided sense of realism.

And why can't it assemble AND fire on the same turn if it didn't move that turn?

Ok you are right but I could not make the game understand jungle stuck promotion which I devised at some point, and which gave -5 movement so the vehicle could not move from the jungle for quite some time...

With your mod being active, my settlers can't build any new cities. It always says that there are other cities within two tiles when in fact they aren't.

Top Bottom