Improving the "Server is down" message

So have you offered any practical advice to Thunderfall, then? Or are you just here to bellow at him to get it fixed, and by the way, don't allow anybody else to express a little humor at the situation? :huh:

I know nothing about running a forum, so I would be unable to give any practical advice. However, I do know that the level of downtime here is well beyond an acceptable level, and if it's not fixed, people will stop coming back.

Humor can work wonders at keeping one's blood pressure down. That's one way I dealt with unruly infractees - I would take "humor breaks" to keep myself from saying some really angry things.

Maybe if the server downtime was at a reasonable level, it would be humorous. But none of the suggestions are even remotely funny enough to maintain a lolfactor with the current level of downtime that CFC experiences, and would quite likely cause people to become annoyed by server is down messages than they already are.

I know nothing about running a forum, so I would be unable to give any practical advice. However, I do know that the level of downtime here is well beyond an acceptable level, and if it's not fixed, people will stop coming back.

We're aware of that fact.
Thunderfall isn't aware of it, and obviously when moderators email him it will only be fixed till the next time.
If you really want a change, then complain to him via email. If there are enough people complaining, it might maybe help.
If not, then this forum is lost.

Not once have I thought to myself, oh gee, I'd be less annoyed with the server being down if only the server is down message was some mildly amusing civ-related joke.
Yeah, but does a little humor really hurt that much?

CFC is by far the least reliable of the forums I post on. It's simply not good enough.
Go to TBN, and you will realize that you are so, SO wrong.

Considering the "around the world" photography project we've got going in OT, that first bit is not funny. :(

We're aware of that fact.
Thunderfall isn't aware of it, and obviously when moderators email him it will only be fixed till the next time.
If you really want a change, then complain to him via email. If there are enough people complaining, it might maybe help.
If not, then this forum is lost.

Eh, to be honest, this forum seems to discourage complaining about anything to the powers that be.

And when a mod does post on a suggestion thread he doesn't even address the suggestion itself.

Don't have any suggestions, but the one turn anarchy sounds good.

Eh, to be honest, this forum seems to discourage complaining about anything to the powers that be.

mmmhh? I'm encouraging that you complain.
It's just so that no one from the powers that be who could actually change anything (well...only TF) is reading that thread. If you want to complain (and you should), then you have to do it via email.

Considering the "around the world" photography project we've got going in OT, that first bit is not funny. :(

If you don't understand the reference, you shouldn't consider yourself a proper CFCer.

Yeah, but does a little humor really hurt that much?

I can't see any of the suggestions being remotely humorous when I'm trying to post and unable to because the server sucks balls. If anything I'd probably find it more annoying.

Go to TBN, and you will realize that you are so, SO wrong.

How can I be wrong? I don't post there so it's completely irrelevant to my point that CFC is by far the least reliable forum that I post on. The only reason I tolerate the poor server reliability is because I've invested too much time into this place to just leave.

Has someone had too much sour candy?

I would suggest a line about a spy sabotaging the server, but people might take it seriously as some sort of hacker.

A spy poisoned the server's water supply. Please wait until it stops starving to death.

I can't see any of the suggestions being remotely humorous when I'm trying to post and unable to because the server sucks balls. If anything I'd probably find it more annoying.
It would really be that much more annoying? Heck, I rarely even read the messages anymore. :lol:

Has someone had too much sour candy?
Yeah, it would seem so.

How can I be wrong? I don't post there so it's completely irrelevant to my point that CFC is by far the least reliable forum that I post on. The only reason I tolerate the poor server reliability is because I've invested too much time into this place to just leave.

Some weeks ago, the server my forum was on was being attacked by DDoS'ers. It would go down constantly. Compared CFC is a breeze.

I wouldnt be surprised if there was some form of DDoS going on though. A few months ago my site kept going down because they were attacking the webhost server. Then they put in better protection and it hasnt gone down in awhile now.

If you don't understand the reference, you shouldn't consider yourself a proper CFCer.
Do you understand every in-joke? :huh:

Whatever that refers to, it's something that either happened before I got active in OT or it happened in a thread I didn't happen to read.

I don't know every injoke, but I don't get how you can spend much time in OT and not hear about the video camera and pants.

For reference, the origin of that joke.

It would really be that much more annoying? Heck, I rarely even read the messages anymore. :lol:

Point being, this would not be of any benefit to the forum.

Some weeks ago, the server my forum was on was being attacked by DDoS'ers. It would go down constantly. Compared CFC is a breeze.

I wouldnt be surprised if there was some form of DDoS going on though. A few months ago my site kept going down because they were attacking the webhost server. Then they put in better protection and it hasnt gone down in awhile now.

A) DDOS attacks tend to prevent anyone getting onto the website, so they wouldn't be able to see the "Server Is Busy" message if we were being DDOSed.
B) The length and frequency of downtimes are not consistent with other DDOS attacks I have experienced.
C) Even if it is DDOS attacks, nothing is being done to fix the problem.

Do you understand every in-joke? :huh:

Whatever that refers to, it's something that either happened before I got active in OT or it happened in a thread I didn't happen to read.

I can't imagine there is much i've missed on CFC, especially OT, so yes, I do.

It's a cfc meme, so when it happened is pretty irrelevant since as this thread shows, it is still being used.

Top Bottom