Wasted Food

What is the mechanic behind it? What are the ways to reduce waste? Why was it implemented when unhealthiness seems to serve the same function?

It was implemented to curb outrageous city growth. Before the food was overhauled we had examples of cities beyond size 100 iirc

does wasted food scale with city size? (eg at size 1 you lose all above +6, at size 2 lose all above +10, etc.)

does building a granary help with wasted food?

does wasted food scale with city size? (eg at size 1 you lose all above +6, at size 2 lose all above +10, etc.)

does building a granary help with wasted food?

It doesn't scale with city size but you don't lose (anything like) all above the point it first kicks in. For each food added slightly more is wasted. I think you lose your first at about +8 and get into very diminishing returns above about +30 or so. There's a thread about i somewheer with all the formula and the discussion that lead to it, but right now I can't seem to find it (it's somewheer in the C2C boards though)

I don't understand, if wasted food is function of extra food (after the citizens have "eaten"), then it doesn't prevent size 100 cities, it only slows down how fast they will grow...

which really was the point, since we had size 70 in ancient, 100 by Renaisance

which really was the point, since we had size 70 in ancient, 100 by Renaisance

Koshling, have you looked at how much food is stored after a city grows? I started a game yesterday and I'm pretty certain that with just the first 10% storage building, my city stored much more than 10% of maximum capacity. (Which is what I assume it is supposed to store, but maybe I'm wrong)

Koshling, have you looked at how much food is stored after a city grows? I started a game yesterday and I'm pretty certain that with just the first 10% storage building, my city stored much more than 10% of maximum capacity. (Which is what I assume it is supposed to store, but maybe I'm wrong)

Not recently, and since I am somewhat on a sabbatical currently, not planning to for non super critical issues for the next few weeks. However, I did look at this a onto or so ago and I'm pretty sure it was working ok. Suggest you post a save game if you have one that shows a definate issue, and I can take a look at some point if AIAndy doesn't beat me to it.

If you had built any of the huts (grass hut, stone hut, etc.) each of those store 1%

If you had built any of the huts (grass hut, stone hut, etc.) each of those store 1%

This was before I had any huts. I just had the very basic Storage Pit.

I'll be watching the numbers closely when my city hits size 3.

As an example, Koshling, if a city requires 900 food to grow, with 10% storage, what should remain once it does grow? 90 food?

Edit: Posting save in bugs thread.

Or it's based on food requirement from the next growth. So if you need 900 to grow and 950 for the next growth it might save 95 food and not 90 food.

Cheers

Never mind, it looks like wasted food depends on total food, not just extra food...

No, it's based on extra. If you are seeing different amounts of wastage for the same level of surplass that's a bug.

Wait, so does this mean my strategy of building all the food buildings in an attempt to get my cities to grow faster is made of fail? Should I just be building research until the cities grow to a larger size?

Wait, so does this mean my strategy of building all the food buildings in an attempt to get my cities to grow faster is made of fail? Should I just be building research until the cities grow to a larger size?

Its not a fail strategy. It just has diminishing returns as the excesses build up. Personally I keep building food as a fairly high priority up to 20 or so surplass per turn. Has almost no effect early on, but is more significant from renaissance or so onwards.

How are you all growing your cities so fast in the first place, even in previous versions? Maybe in my current game I've got bad terrain, but I'm struggling to get any cities to size 6 - in fact I'm having trouble getting a city to size 6 so that I can construct the buildings necessary to build ships better than canoes, the sailing tech is wasted on me because for the last couple of versions I've researched the tech but still not been able to build galleys until a lot later simply because my cities aren't big enough to build sail maker, shipwright etc. I've taken to ignoring the Sailing tech as a result because it's all but useless to me! By the time I research Sailing I don't usually have any city over size 2, maybe 3 if I'm extremely lucky.

Am I missing a trick? I'd noticed that cities are a lot slower to grow in the last couple of versions than they used to be. In any version I've never had a size 100 city, not even when I'm reaching the end of the tech tree. Yet again, the thought occurs to me that I must be playing it different than everyone else :confused:

Top Bottom