TSG24 After Action Report

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG24 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

Game: Civ5 GOTM 24
Date submitted: 2011-11-15
Reference number: 25176
Your name: trueblue

Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1876AD
Turns played: 308
Base score: 920
Final score: 1508
Time played: 1:53:00
Submitted save: GOTM24Save.Civ5Save
Renamed file: trueblue_C502401.Civ5Save

Ghandi. Turn 308. Science.

With it being the warlord level, AI gold was always going to be tight. so for me this meant getting there through cold beakers opposed to RA's.

So i went Scout, Worker, GL, which timed nicely for mathematics. HG was next. i had popped Mining so it was Calander then to Civil Service and then Education. Built the HG, the NC, Oracle, CI, HS. Mean time i headed straight through tradition and captured a barb worker. My second SP pick was Aristocracy, lots of hammers were saved over the entire game. Several buildings were bought, stone works, walls, temple, water mill, granary, yes even with the HG, get those apples early. apples = pop = science. Used the HS GE for the PT and hard built ND. Eduaction was done so beeline for Compass. Pop Astronomy with GS from PT. An SP timed lucky for Rationalism. A Uni was cash bought, so was an Observatory. Headed for the Aqueduct, built it. Headed for the ironworks, built it. Then to the Kremlin for those GS points. Then too the Public School, bought it. I maxed out tradition, had Rationalism open so headed for Scholasticism. I had signerd a couple RA's and i was mustering CS allies. Then to Brandengate for another two GS points.

Then on to the end. i had built up 5 GS's. used Scientific Revolution.

Constantly selling resources, one sugar and the four horses, whenever someone had cash.

Paid a few AI's gold to do RA's.

I was attacked three times, twice germany once egypt. built an archer and walls. I took gold and gpt for peace each time. also built the HE, i like it but it was a waste of hammers. built a few more units.

once i was on to the space race i mined what hills i could and even planked down a GE being in a long GA.

It can be done quicker. It would mean more RA's so purely trading gold for gpt and signing RA's might work, expensive game though as the AI was skint.

i just need my screenshots to be approved now and its all good.

Date submitted: 2011-11-16
Reference number: 25183
Your name: ladia74

Game date: 1868AD
Turns played: 304
Base score: 653
Final score: 1088
Time played: 2:52:00
Submitted save: TSG24_0304 AD-1868.Civ5Save
Renamed file: ladia74_C502401.Civ5Save

Date submitted: 2011-11-15
Reference number: 25176
Your name: trueblue

Game date: 1876AD
Turns played: 308
Base score: 920
Final score: 1508
Time played: 1:53:00
Submitted save: GOTM24Save.Civ5Save
Renamed file: trueblue_C502401.Civ5Save

Ghandi. Turn 308. Science.

With it being the warlord level, AI gold was always going to be tight. so for me this meant getting there through cold beakers opposed to RA's.

So i went Scout, Worker, GL, which timed nicely for mathematics. HG was next. i had popped Mining so it was Calander then to Civil Service and then Education. Built the HG, the NC, Oracle, CI, HS. Mean time i headed straight through tradition and captured a barb worker. My second SP pick was Aristocracy, lots of hammers were saved over the entire game. Several buildings were bought, stone works, walls, temple, water mill, granary, yes even with the HG, get those apples early. apples = pop = science. Used the HS GE for the PT and hard built ND. Eduaction was done so beeline for Compass. Pop Astronomy with GS from PT. An SP timed lucky for Rationalism. A Uni was cash bought, so was an Observatory. Headed for the Aqueduct, built it. Headed for the ironworks, built it. Then to the Kremlin for those GS points. Then too the Public School, bought it. I maxed out tradition, had Rationalism open so headed for Scholasticism. I had signerd a couple RA's and i was mustering CS allies. Then to Brandengate for another two GS points.

Then on to the end. i had built up 5 GS's. used Scientific Revolution.

Constantly selling resources, one sugar and the four horses, whenever someone had cash.

Paid a few AI's gold to do RA's.

I was attacked three times, twice germany once egypt. built an archer and walls. I took gold and gpt for peace each time. also built the HE, i like it but it was a waste of hammers. built a few more units.

once i was on to the space race i mined what hills i could and even planked down a GE being in a long GA.

It can be done quicker. It would mean more RA's so purely trading gold for gpt and signing RA's might work, expensive game though as the AI was skint.

i just need my screenshots to be approved now and its all good.

Started by running my warrior NE-E, which revealed the Eastern cow tile. I decided to settle 1NE, which gained the cow (for extra food and production) and retained all the visible resource tiles. Importantly, this kept the capital next to the mountain so that I could build the observatory once astronomy was unlocked. My initial aim was to beeline to the Great Library and then the Hanging Gardens, both of which I achieved easily. Later I built the Hagia Sophia and used the Great Engineer from that to complete the Porcelain Tower.

This was a mainly peaceful game for a change, although I was DoW'd by Bismark four times. I just played defensively until he offered me lucrative peace deals. The last time he declared I ran my Mech Infantry up to Berlin and obliterated it just for fun.

Since there was no aluminium in the Capital, I allied all the City States that had that resource in the hope of building a spaceship factory. As it was, all my allies were reluctant to develop their aluminium mines, so I was not gifted aluminium until 3 turns from the end. By then, of course, it was useless to me.

I also settled in the NE after my warrior scouted the cow, and without knowing if I will have iron or coal as many "river-hills" as possbible were welcome.

First I wanted an Elephant to kill some barbarians and to check out possibilities for interesting war-options, the milking-theory of tommynt in TSG23 sounded very interesting to me, so I wanted to try it out... :ninja:
Worked very well, in the midgame I had to be very careful, because of RAs becoming more difficult and complex friendships. :nono::love:
I had no idea what "raging barbarians" on warlord means, but It worked perfect to kill barbarians near the borders of CS, the AI did not attack the barbarian-camps as aggressive as on higher levels.
I did not start well with social policies, I thought in honor you get a bonus in producing all units, but it was only close-combat-units, so nearly useless and I went a little bit to late for completing tradition.
The main question for me was Aqueduct or Observatory first.
I went straight to Observatory then, also because of early reaching Renaissance for better Social Policies.
Congratulations to all reaching a city 50 or bigger, mine was only in the mid30-Level, even with Tradition, Hanging Gardens and agressive bonus-ressource-mangement to get growing-bonus.
For me I could not clearly say if I should prioritize growth or production, so I did both
with a stronger focus on production and changed nearly every farm into trading posts after getting science bonus through social policies.
I used four great artists to accelerating social policies but mainly concentrated on scientists. One engineer "helped" producing the space ship and some Generals flanked this with GAs.
The same problem I had in the Siam-Game before: I had so many allied military CS and I did not know how many units I will need, but that is an expensive question sometimes...:trouble::trouble::trouble::deal:

Does anyone know at what time/on what it depends if allied City states are able to deliver Ressources (like Iron, Coal, Horses, Aluminium, Uranium?)

Date submitted: 2011-11-18
Reference number: 25198
Your name: Quizman
Game date: 1894AD
Turns played: 317
Base score: 692
Final score: 1098
Time played: 4:44:00
Renamed file: Quizman_C502401.Civ5Save

I am reasonably happy with how things went following my earlier game in progress post.

Apollo completed on turn 250 by which time science was above 500.

There was coal for the factory, but no aluminium (more on that later).

Mistakes, I made a few - I was probably 1 RA short at the end as I had to wait a few turns for a final GS to complete the last few turns of nanotechnology. Perhaps I should have created more academies (I only had 3). I should have gone for Atomic Theory as I belated discovered the uranium, but by then it was too late.

Something puzzled me. With absence of uranium, I allied the first city state, Tyre I think, that mined it. However, at no stage did I receive the benefit and in the end bought it off Harun, but I was deep into spaceship building by then. I needed it for the spaceship factory as I had a GE and/or cash available. Limboldt had a similar problem on reading his post above.

There was plenty of production and no space part took more than 7 turns.

So far as SP's are concerned, I completed Tradition and Rationalism, plus a bit of Honor and Patronage, nothing else. I allied with 5 CS's, I think. A couple of military ones for the troops to convince Germany not to declare again plus maritime x 1 to help growth and 2 culturals.

No screenshots because the game crashes every time I try. It's probably just me, but does anyone have any hints in that regard?

Time permitting, I might try to replay it to see what happens if I grow the city taller. I finished up at size 26'ish and at no time prioritised growth apart from the early years.

In the above thread, when I say "With absence of uranium..." that should be aluminium - apologies

Game date: 1844AD
Turns played: 292
Base score: 808
Final score: 1393
Time played: 5:16:00

Limboldt had a similar problem on reading his post above.

Yes, at the end I was happy not to have developed Plastics for the hydro plant, first I thought "Great, long river..." but it requires Alu. Normally I am very careful and I was not really sure if my "pure" production is (fast) enough.
I also developed Robotics for the spaceship factory as soon as I could reach it with great scientist, because several of my allied CS had Au, I also checked "optically" what was going on there, but their workers did nothing any more. So I thought "perhaps to early on Warlord".

I also had a strange effect (bug?): I couldn`t enter the territory of one CS.
There were Barbarians standing in the territory but I could not attack them.

Date submitted: 2011-11-19
Reference number: 25203
Your name:Yrag80
Game date: 1804AD
Turns played: 272
Base score: 678
Final score:1255
Time played: 3:20:00
Submitted save: Gandhi_0272 AD-1804 tg24.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Yrag80_C502401.Civ5Save

Very Peaceful game. Gave in to all the ai's demands for help to keep them happy. Culture bombed Bismarks silver before his borders reached it. Oh and due to my Laptop not being able to handle the graphics late game i played in strategic mode, causing me to lose one of my GS's to a barb. So i probably coulda finished a few turns earlier in a continous GA.
Bismark only Dow'd me once the whole game and i crushed his army with 2 cav's and a LS. pretty much easy sailing from there.

Your name: Tabarnak
Game date: 1695AD
Turns played: 249
Base score: 712
Final score: 1453
Time played: 3:33:00
Submitted save: Gandhi_0249 AD-1695.Civ5Save

Wasn't in a perpetual GA at the end but i wanted a sub 250 game and i barely got it. With 4 manufactories, i chunked 140 :c5production: per turn at best. I chopped 1 or 2 forests in the beginning.

I wonder if rushing Apollo can be viable in OCC. Lack of GS can be problematic. Very RA dependant. Built Apollo at turn 221, i reached nanotech around turn 228.

Reference number: 25210
Your name: Aaronius
Game date: 1862AD
Turns played: 301
Base score: 1021
Final score: 1701

I described a lot in the progress thread up to turn 240.

I ended up making 28 RAs, all of which completed. Only one early and ultimately lucrative attack from Germany. :cool:

I had five GS, Oxford, and Sci Rev waiting for the endgame, but I had a bit of trouble figuring out how to use them most effectively. I ended up using them all at once on turn 263 (my logic was gettting the most out of RAs). It turns out I should have used some of them much sooner so that I could get Apollo going and at least start on some of those ship parts. The way I did it, I had this amazing slingshot thru three eras, only to realize that I now had to sequentially build seven things. :crazyeye:

The way I look at it I learned something from this game. Also it was fun to build every building and almost every wonder. Delhi was size 43 and glorious. I popped a GS and a GE on the same turn 3 times, a GS GE and GA once, and a GS GE and GM once. :king:

Yes, at the end I was happy not to have developed Plastics for the hydro plant, first I thought "Great, long river..." but it requires Alu. Normally I am very careful and I was not really sure if my "pure" production is (fast) enough.
I also developed Robotics for the spaceship factory as soon as I could reach it with great scientist, because several of my allied CS had Au, I also checked "optically" what was going on there, but their workers did nothing any more. So I thought "perhaps to early on Warlord".

My understanding of when the CS hook up their strategic resources is: CS hook up the resource when two AI have the tech to see it...

I would also like to know for sure b/c I could be mistaken.

My understanding of when the CS hook up their strategic resources is: CS hook up the resource when two AI have the tech to see it...

I would also like to know for sure b/c I could be mistaken.

I think you are right.

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds logical.

In testing it took forever to get the Aluminum. I thought it was a bug but then did get it from a couple of CS's. Was worried I would have to remake the game. Made for an interesting problem? :mischief:

Reference number: 25211
Your name: tommynt
Game date: 1530AD
Turns played: 216
Base score: 665
Final score: 1546
Time played: 10:42:00
Submitted save: tommynt_GOTM24win.Civ5Save
Renamed file: tommynt_C502401.Civ5Save

Build Cap in Place
BO cap:
Scout Monument GL Granny HG Hagia

Poped writing in a turn 10 hut -swear on my 1. playtrough.
poped lots other huts (liek every1 I guess) - helped to start gl early and tech other importent techs
went for stoneworks and Calendar next then math
Buyed worker and stoneworks with ai cash. later few units
Stole england worker and killed LOADS of barbs for CS.

I was able to aly quite some CS with killing barbs - think I had allied 4-5 MS Cs overall which gifted me WAY too many units all game (after this game I think military CS are way to go for a deity dom game).

SP wise I waited to get leaglism till I got Philo with gl - got aristocracy and this shoot thing before

Fully filled tradition then --> few patronage --> rationalism -->freedom opener

My early tech jumped fast with getting GL HG and NC very fast up.

teched both CS and Theo to 1 turn to go before rushing for education.

this gave me time to sign classical RAs with 6 or 7 civs. In like turn 70 I went into medi age
Got PT up with HS engi just before 1. RA came in in like turn 90.
with 1. two Ras I went for compass - bulb astro with PT scientist and full gain with next 5 RAs.

Found arabia pretty late (didnt even expect to have a 9th civ ....) but when it found him he was cash loaded all game - him being freindly and kind of my bank helped a lot.
Tried to get lot of GA in medi age to boost my gold to finance RAs - not getting CI hurt me A LOT (just could not fit it in and then it was built way before I thoguht it d pre turn 120)

well rest pretty staightforward - tech clever to boost median, fiannce RA let cap grow ... started Apoolo in like turn 175 (bulbed with 2 scientists).
As I had totaly oversinged my RAs I could tech to nuclear power with helped me shave 1-2 turns. Went for a triple pop at the 600 mark (scientist, engi and artist) which gave me another 3 turns of GA and a 2nd manufactory And went to a big war with like everyone to get points for another general (another 3 turns of ga ....)

while building apoolo and parts my cap was using only prod tiles (hills manu) and engies and unemployed ones. Had like 170 shields in ga and with nuclear

burned 4 or 5 generals and 3 artists (2 from louvre) for golden ages overall and got 3 via happy.

If I had known that production is more limiting factor as teching (had 4or5 RAs not needed for main techs I d have bulbed apoolo tech few turns more early and might have shaved 3 turns same with getting nuclear more early. Well you can allways shave few turn here and there but overall i guess 216 is ok.

Science 234

I didn't take notes during the game so here's what I remember.

Settled in place. Warrior NO.

Pottery - Writing - Philosophy - AH - Trapping - Civil service (with GL) - Mining - Massonry - Archery - Math
After that I went for aqueduct and Education, not sure which was first.

Scout - Monument - Granary - GL (delayed by starting Oracle until I was ready for Civil service) then only wonders. If I remember right, Oracle, NC, Hanging Gardens, Stonehenge, Chichen and everything I needed.

Social : Full tradition with Honor opener because I was waiting on Philosophy to take legalism. Took Commerce opener because I was desperate for cash. As I reached renaissance (too late) I went for rationalism left branch then freedom opener.

I got decent stuff from ruins though a bit unlucky with weapons upgrades, the scout didn't get any (eventually died to barbarians after discovering all players whereas the warrior became a spear preventing futur upgrade to swordsman and LS.

Game was totally peaceful, never got a single declaration of war even though I only had 2 military units most of the time, 3 at most. I sold or gifted the extras I got from CSs.

I spend all my gold buying buildings and didn't invest in RAs before turn 106 or so. I must have signed a total of 26 RAs, one too much. I should have delayed one building and invested sooner in RAs I think but by the time I was ready to start all the AIs were broke.
As gold was scarce I completely bypassed spending on CS and only got a few bonuses from quests, mostly units.

I focused on increasing Delhi's population as much as possible as I figured that was my best way to get more production at the end. I reached size 34.

I screwed my end time prevision, still surprised by how fast the final tech rush is ! So I started converting my hill farms into mines like 10 turns too late. I also built Sistine Chapel for nothing instead of the Louvre which I had then to rush with a GE, that's one less manufactory.
I should have started RAs a bit sooner and taken a GE from HS for another Manufactory. Also I only worked on poping multiple GP at the end with a GA+GS+GE once, should have done that sooner, could have gotten one or two extra GE, maybe a GA too.

At the end I saw I was going to miss a few golden age turns so I attacked Germany to get a GG. Even though there was space around, Bismark never build a second city, so I ended up wiping him out.

Pretty straight forward game, expected on Warlord, growing capital, building wonders, buying buildings and tech race. Since there was no aluminum available, I won before any AI had electricity, it made for an original game, thanks.

Top Bottom