Toft's Earth (180x94) based on Mercator projektion

toft

King
Toft's Earth (180x94) based on Mercator projektion
As the map is handdrawn and I personally don't like 100 mini-islands I clumped some islands up together and left out most islands in the pacific. The rest of the map should be fairly accurate.

Grassland, plains, tundra and snow tiles are drawn based on climate maps. Forests and rainforest are based on some maps I found by greenpeace. There are very few rivers, but I should have remembered the big ones :) Strategic ressources should also be placed where actual large deposits are present in real life. Wheat, cattle, Ivory etc are placed a bit more loosely.

Settings:
Domination
No huts

Playable civilizations with correct starting locations:
America
Chinese (color changed)
Egyptian
English
German (color changed / gray is depressing)
Indian
Arabian
Russian (color changed)
Siamese
Korean
Japanese
Songhai (color changed)
Polynesian
Incan

Spoiler :

Tutorial
1) Download map: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=18268
2) Save map to ..My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Maps
3) Start Civilization 5
4) Select "Mod"
5) Select "Single player"
6) Select "Set up game"
7) Select "Advanced set up"
8) Under map type select "Earth map (180x94) by Toft"
9) Click "back" at the bottom
10) Click "Load Scenario"
11) Select nation and play :)

If you do not click "load scenario" you get random starting locations and random opponents.

First just wanna say thanks for the effort you put into this. On paper this looks amazing, especially compared to the mercator projection(with a few minor details awry but nothing terrible, mainly tunda tiles in russia). Definitely looking forward to trying this out. What follows is not meant to be critical, just curious.

Couple quick questions... Why did you set the egypt starting location so far north in Africa(did you choose Cairo for the capital)? Upper Egypt is in the southern half and its usually considered where the egyptian dynasty really formed/united, in Thebes circa 3200BC(from what Ive read/seen at least).

Also, are you planning to add denmark, france, greece, rome, babylon, persia, the ottomans, mongolia, and the natives of North america(aztec iriquois) anytime soon with their TSL?

Only reason I ask is because Ive been really impressed with YNAGEM. It makes playing on marathon totally worth it! Supports 22 civs at a time with an option to remove the americans, and has TSL for all civs and 36 city states as of aug 31 2011. Only problem I have with his is the random resources...

Prolly gonna give yours a try tonight, just got used to YNAGEM is all.

Looks interesting; the use of coast tiles for submerged mountain ranges is an interesting idea, does that mean one could colonize the Americas straight away? That could be pretty wild, in a good way.

Yup, that is indeed possible.

First just wanna say thanks for the effort you put into this. On paper this looks amazing, especially compared to the mercator projection(with a few minor details awry but nothing terrible, mainly tunda tiles in russia). Definitely looking forward to trying this out. What follows is not meant to be critical, just curious.

Couple quick questions... Why did you set the egypt starting location so far north in Africa(did you choose Cairo for the capital)? Upper Egypt is in the southern half and its usually considered where the egyptian dynasty really formed/united, in Thebes circa 3200BC(from what Ive read/seen at least).

Also, are you planning to add denmark, france, greece, rome, babylon, persia, the ottomans, mongolia, and the natives of North america(aztec iriquois) anytime soon with their TSL?

Only reason I ask is because Ive been really impressed with YNAGEM. It makes playing on marathon totally worth it! Supports 22 civs at a time with an option to remove the americans, and has TSL for all civs and 36 city states as of aug 31 2011. Only problem I have with his is the random resources...

Prolly gonna give yours a try tonight, just got used to YNAGEM is all.

I must admit that I didn't check starting location for Egypt, so I'll update that with the correct location, along with starting locations for the other missing civs :)

I actually forgot city states and only realized myself midgame yesterday :) I'll place some, but probably not 36.

I might add a few rivers, but "snow" vs "tundra" etc isn't going to change. The northern part of Russia is fairly desolate as it is - in terms of forest and food. It is mostly fur, coal, stone and deer up there.

I appreciate any input you might have :) My last game I noticed that there isn't much Iron in Europe and that might not reflect reality. I plotted strategic ressources from a present day map indicating large quanteties. Let me know what you think.

Updated with a few city states and rivers. Egypt's starting position has been moved a bit south.

I haven't added more civilizations as I couldn't figure out how to choose which to add or not to add in-game. So until then you'll have to edit the map if you wish to add or remove certain civs.

Top Bottom