C2C - Space Terrain

Hydromancerx

C2C Modder
This topic is made to discuss the 3 proposed map types for the Galactic Era. They include Lunar, Martian and Galactic.

The concept of having more than 1 map is taken from the Civilization Tactical Combat Development Thread. Hopefully in the near future we can utilize this mod so we can my our own additional maps.

All of this discussion is base on the Galactic Era discussion.

Lunar Map

* = Already in the Game

Terrain

Barren*
Food: 0
Production: 0
Commerce: 0
Movement: 0
Defense: 0%
River Commerce: +1
Freshwater: No
Health: 0
Improvements: +25% Time to Build
Cities: Normal
Terrain Damage: No

Lunar Desert
Food: 0
Production: 0
Commerce: 0
Movement: -3
Defense: -25%
River Commerce: +1
Freshwater: No
Health: 0
Improvements: +25% to Build
Cities: Requires Coast or Freshwater
Terrain Damage: Yes

I think we should try not to have references to freshwater on the moon:mischief:.

At any rate, for the Galactic Map I'd start with Final Frontier Plus. God-Emperor is a semi-regular on this forum, and would probably be willing to provide advice/resources on this front.

On the Mars map both Ice and Permafrost should provide Water, Food and Fresh water. Unless there are rivers on Mars these areas will be the Main water providing areas.

JosEPh

On the Mars map both Ice and Permafrost should provide Water, Food and Fresh water. Unless there are rivers on Mars these areas will be the Main water providing areas.

JosEPh

I am purposefully avoiding food since there is nothing to eat on the Moon or Mars. Everything that they get food from would have to be brought by them such as agrodome improvements for farms before things get terraformed. Note that terraforming would improve the terrain to give food yields.

But what about water and fresh water?

I am purposefully avoiding food since there is nothing to eat on <snip> Mars.
But we Really don't Know if Mars has anything edible or not. So why exclude the possibility?

Terraforming will Be Essential I agree. And will be the overall basic means. But discovery of new food stuffs should not be excluded either.

JosEPh

JosEPh

I did not say I would limit freshwater on Mars. The moon probably would not have it or if it did very rare. Colonization of other worlds is going to be much harder than colonizing another landmass like in the colonial era of the game.

In addition I imagine colonization working like this ...

1. Your city builds a launching pad or spaceport.
2. Your city sends out a probe or rover to scout out the terrain.
3. Your city sends out a colony pod which works like a settler. This would be specific to each map. So you could not settle a moon settler on mars or or earth, etc.
4. The new colony would have limited building choices which would expand as you sent more stuff to the colony.
5. Send more cargo ships which would give special buildings only buildable either by the cargoship unit or by a special colony building.

For instance you send a factory pod to the Moon so it can start manufacturing buildings and units of their own. This would be much easier to do than sending cargoships into space. And thus start them on a more sustainable colony.

I think we should try not to have references to freshwater on the moon:mischief:.

Some ice may be found underground or within the shadow of craters. But I agree that it would be extremely rare to find freshwater. No rivers on the Moon for example. However with terraforming things can change.

At any rate, for the Galactic Map I'd start with Final Frontier Plus. God-Empereor is a semi-regular on this forum, and would probably be willing to provide advice/resources on this front.

At the very least I would use the default Final Frontier mod that comes with the game. Any mods that add to that would be a great asset since less work for us.

Some ice may be found underground or within the shadow of craters. But I agree that it would be extremely rare to find freshwater. No rivers on the Moon for example. However with terraforming things can change.

The moon would be almost impossible to terraform. Even with late Transhuman era stuff the task would be hurculean. You would first have to make an atmosphere from scratch, as there is no CO2 ice caps there, and very little ice compared to mars. The Moon is also affected far more than Mars by Solar winds, which would be hard to stop with out Galactic Era tech, and even then a challenge. I would be very reticent to add Moon terraforming until the Galactic Era, as it is much more of a technological diffuculty than Mars would be.

Those planets at least have atmospheres, though - Even Pluto has more of an atmosphere than the moon.

Hydro is right, at some point the moon will be terraformable. I'm just thinking ahead and guessing that the moon stuff will be added first, and the Galactic stuff last. This means that the Moon terraforming is less of a priority than Martian terraforming, which could easily be done with Transhuman era tech.

When would you say the Transhuman Era should end in terms of terraforming technology? It's been predicted that even when humans get the technology to begin terraforming Mars, it will take hundreds of years.

i have played 100's of smacx mp games. Only just got into civ4 since the smacx crowd on hamachi and stuff fully died. I say just rip it all off SMAC :)

fungus, mind worms, boreholes, echelon mirrors :drool:

asif 2 maps gonna run tho realistically, getting the game to run smoothly on 1 map is hard enough t.t
cool idea tho

When would you say the Transhuman Era should end in terms of terraforming technology? It's been predicted that even when humans get the technology to begin terraforming Mars, it will take hundreds of years.

According to the tech tree the start of terraforming would be at Planetary Terraforming (Galactic Era) which could do Mars. If we want I could add another tech after that called Lunar Terraforming that could allow for terraforming on the moon.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Yeah, that's probably a good idea, but Lunar Terraforming could also lead to terraforming on Europa, Titan, etc.

fungus, mind worms, boreholes, echelon mirrors :drool:

Speaking of which, some elements from the Dune mod would be nice. :)

Beyond Mars everything would be generalized in the Final Frontier style map. Thus you will be colonizing whole solar systems at once rather than individual planets, moons or asteroid belts. And even farther out that that you can add your own artificial planets to your conquered solar systems. And even beyond that you will be able to create your own stars to colonize. Thus Creating new places to settle on the Galactic map beyond just the "natural" stars.

There are also wormholes on the map so eventually you can traverse them and ultimately make your own artificial ones. Lastly the space ship to Alpha Centauri will be re-done to be sent to the Andromeda Galaxy instead. Thus winning the space game.

your quote should definately be BIGGER = BETTER BABY
lol your like a crack fiend when it comes to additional features hydromancerx ;)

your quote should definately be BIGGER = BETTER BABY
lol your like a crack fiend when it comes to additional features hydromancerx ;)

LOL! But seriously if multiple maps are possible theses ideas are quite possible. In fact I see no reason why they could not be on those types of maps in other mods if they have not been done already.

In the Final Frontier mod you regularly colonize entire solar systems at once since they are just cities made to look like solar systems. As for the spaceship being redone, its just a matter of re-naming the parts and giving them different tech requirements. I don't see why we cannot use the same looking spaceship. A different winning video might be a good idea too.

Top Bottom