Expansion pack announced - Civilization V: Gods & Kings

The expansion stuff sounds good.

I just hope that the expansion will in deed make the AI behave better, especially when it comes to diplomacy and combat. It also wouldn't hurt if it addressed some issues encountered by the modders, adding custom graphics for wonders and improvements made possible (and more user friendly:D) for one thing.
Not really expecting that, but it sure would be nice.

madness..... MADNESS I TELL YOU! yes!

Again they weren't they were drastically modified.. how were they kept.. please how are they anywhere near the same systems as in previous versions.

You know what, if you don't like it, don't buy it, quite frankly you're very irritating to me.

Moderator Action: This is not necessary and essentially amounts to a personal attack. Warned for trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

The Great People from Civ 4 are nearly the same with minor, but they still provide similiar bonuses, except in 5 we place their specialb uildings on a tile and in 4 we build them inside Cities.

I for one am VERy exciting for this Expansion Pack, and we have NEVER payed for a "patch" in fact, a lot of expansion packs provide fixes, that's just a general common sense.

If you are gonna do nothing but be mean about this then just don't play it, nobody is forcing you to purchase it.

"The nature of diplomacy is going to change as you progress through the ages," explained Beach. In the early ages, religion will be one of the crucial factors in how other civilizations respond to you. Later in the game, those religious prejudices will give way to ideology preferences. When a civilization commits to the freedom, order, or autocracy culture tree, it will become the new driving force behind international relations.
This leads me to believe there will be more definate reasons behind an opposing Civs attitude towards you. That would be THE improvement I've been wanting since day one. I don't care if they hate me or love me, I'll deal with it. I would like to know the reason WHY so I can, if needed, have a somewhat reasonable chance to change a Civs mind about me. While you are supposed to have that ability in the game now, it just doesn't work very well. If it does in Gods and Kings, that would be fantastic!!:)
Absolutely! As long as I don't spend the entire game building up these relationships with allies only to have them instantly turn on me because they are "trying to win the game".
I am cautiously hopeful. :please:

I would like to see the old-style cultural border expansion reintroduced to the game (buying tiles is bad in my opinion), as well as city flipping to another civilization with stronger culture.

First, :woohoo: EPIC EXPANSION SHALL BE MOST EPIC! So excited for the Celts and Carthaginians. I've been wanting those to be released since the game came out.
I would like to see the old-style cultural border expansion reintroduced to the game (buying tiles is bad in my opinion), as well as city flipping to another civilization with stronger culture.
I actually like the newer cultural expansion better than the old versions'. However, I agree that a return of culture flipping would be nice. It would certainly make the game more realistic in my opinion.

Everything I've heard so far sounds good. Especially the improved AI.
The only thing I'm apprehensive about is the addition of religion.

I just wish they'd let you name the religion. The fact you can choose multiple gods for religions like Judaism and Islam seems rather ironic......

And I hope religion won't have too big an effect on diplomacy until the religions are really developed (Medieval era).

Nevertheless this system seems much more engaging than the one in Civ 4

and the rest? granted.. I probably added the addition commentary after or during you adding this post. But before I respond I would prefer you respond to my whole post.

I usually try to respond to key points rather than dissect posts because it makes for really long posts. However:

But worse.. is that they are finally fixing Diplomacy and Combat AI... and charging for it. Those should be in a patch. but although sure they could include some of the combat AI(although not all given the huge change in unit HP). in a patch.. the new diplomacy is based on religion.. which means you will not see it in patch form. So pay us 30$ to fix our broken system. Sure we broke it by abandoning the lessons learned through the previous games in the series but you need to pay us or you'll be stuck with our mistakes. Seriously.. ignoring the fact that they are repackaging and YES slightly modifying old systems. The fact that they are charging to fix diplomacy and AI.. which should be a patch.. but cannot due to their decisions on how they would re-release the same features again as an expansion is far more damning in my mind.

Keep in mind we don't quite know everything about combat system tweaks. We know much higher HP. We don't know if this was more necessary because of the new units added. They did dramatically improve the combat AI with patches, so suggesting that they weren't doing that for free is inaccurate. It's also not impossible that applicable AI improvements are included in a patch for vanilla (there is one more big patch coming up).

With diplomacy, I actually view a diplomacy you can "game" by artificial mechanics that only apply to the AI to be a regression. In that sense, some of these diplomacy tweaks might be disappointing. That being said, they also dramatically improved diplomacy through patching. I thought they have a good concept of where to go with only a few tweaks needed. Maybe there will be something in the next patch. If not, when the dll is released, it'll be possible for fans to fine-tune it.

Its not that I misunderstand game development.. I misunderstand everyones acceptence of large companies such as 2k to throw away everything they have built and learned in the production of a series and Rebuild it and resell it to consumers. A large chunk of civ IV xml and I'm sure coding was used in civ V. So any discussion of game development is Moot. I would be happy to quiz Shafer on how much of Civ IV was used.

Well, xml is a very, very small part of the game and what was left in usually has no effect or was actually a poor fit for Civ5. Civ4's engine was rented from another company. Civ5 has a game engine built from scratch. Civ5 took the game is a very different direction from Civ4. Much of this was controversial. They probably could have made essentially another expansion to Civ4 and some group of people would have been happy. However, when you design a new game, features designed for the old game might not naturally fit. Vanilla Civ5 actually included more features and units than vanilla Civ4.

I apologize for a doublepost. However, given that this is a completely different topic, I felt it would be lost in the noise otherwise.

What about Numidia? Masinissa or Jugurtha as leader? True, they didn't have a vast empire, but the Numidian cavalry was 'world renowned' in western Europe.

I like the Numidians. However, there are two periods of the Numidian Kingdom that I can think of, neither of which is flattering. The first, they were vassals of Carthage. Numidian cavalry will likely be a unit for Carthage for a reason. The second period, they were a puppet of Rome propped up essentially to weaken Carthage.

In addition, the Almoravids (Moors) were more impressive and both are Berbers.

And maybe Kingdom of Aksum or Sheba (which I believe both were in the same spot, if I'm correct? Ethiopia/Red Sea coast)

Axum is Ethiopia, which I do think should be included. Sheba probably is, although there's a bit of uncertainty there.

The unfortunate thing, which is why the Zulu still remain a popular option is that none of the others are Subsaharan Africa. Technically Songhai is, but it's Sahel Zone, not the "heart" of Africa that would be ideal to include. I suggested the Kongo Empire, since they at least had a very organized, powerful state. But I realize they aren't as popular.

Great news! Improvements on the combat system and diplomacy are very welcome, just as the “new stuff” and scenarios.
Just hope there is a possibility to turn religion and espionage on/off in the advanced settings for more variation in game play experience.

To those hating on Firaxis for "reselling religion and espionage"...games are made to make a profit. People's jobs and family well beings are at stake. The more money made by the product the safer those jobs are and the better the rewards for their hard work. We live in a corporate world whether you like it or not.

You want them to PURPOSEFULLY create the game in a way that would make them less money. I hope you do not have dreams of running a company cause with that attitude you will never make it.

I myself have put in over 800 hours into Civ V. There are very few games that have come close to this for me. And I know I am not alone. If anything I have ripped off Firaxis and 2K by only spending 60ish dollars on a game that has occupied my boredom for 800+ hours.

I will gladly spend another 30 dollars for atleast another 500 hours of entertainment.

Sorry if I wasn't clear...its just a prediction based on "late Spring release" that Gamespot reported.

Im guessing April 17th. This is the end of tax season and would be the most perfect way for me, as an accountant, to spend all my restored free time. I know they usually release games not on fridays or weekends, so I may have to get sick the night before.

I'm thinking late May, such as May 22. Just as school is winding down, before Memorial Day weekend (where people theoretically go outside), and on a Tuesday, which I think is the day games tend to be released.

That would be sweet, but that to me is still in the early spring.

I can dream... I need to dream! I am working 12+ hour week days and 6 hour saturdays.

This forum is what keeps me going.

Actually knowing my luck, it will be released like April 1 as a cruel joke to me. While everyone else gets to play it, I will be stuck here doing tax returns with no time to play it.

So if Murphy's Law is at all real, you guys will get this early.

To those hating on Firaxis for "reselling religion and espionage"...games are made to make a profit. People's jobs and family well beings are at stake. The more money made by the product the safer those jobs are and the better the rewards for their hard work. We live in a corporate world whether you like it or not.

You want them to PURPOSEFULLY create the game in a way that would make them less money. I hope you do not have dreams of running a company cause with that attitude you will never make it.

I myself have put in over 800 hours into Civ V. There are very few games that have come close to this for me. And I know I am not alone. If anything I have ripped off Firaxis and 2K by only spending 60ish dollars on a game that has occupied my boredom for 800+ hours.

I will gladly spend another 30 dollars for atleast another 500 hours of entertainment.

To me, hating on the reintroduction of either is stupid. Not because of anyone's livelihood, but because both are much different than in previous games. Religion in this game, if Firaxis delivers, will be MUCH more important than religion in Civ IV. Espionage could also be quite important (although it was a bit more important in IV than religion IMO, once they got it fleshed out. There were some specialized espionage builds, after all).

Besides, if they were holding back religion and espionage to make a profit, they would've released this a lot sooner. Instead, we're getting it over a year and a half after launch, and with a ton of other stuff.

If nothing else, it will be very interesting to load up the expansion and play the game without any mods to see exactly what effect all this will have on the vanilla game. Right now I'm usually playing with about four or five mods loaded up, sometimes more. I've gotten fairly used to getting an early GE using the Echos of Ages mod by building the Toaism religion.

This expansion can't come soon enough for me. I almost wish they hadn't announced it so soon, because I want to download it and play test it now. :lol:

This is how I see it.
First plus - Diplomatic Victory is getting re-worked so it's no longer just buying otu CS for the vote
Second plus - 9 civilizations, in the world where DLC are dominant, everybody expected 1-3 civs, not 9 civs and leaders.
Third plus - While not a big one, a lot of people missed Religion, including me, and this new system is looking VERY promising. I'm the one happy for it, I'm just hoping it's not gonna be a bad system, but a fun system.

Top Bottom