TSG30 After Action Report

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG30 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

Game: Civ5 GOTM 30
Date submitted: 2012-02-15
Reference number: 25705
Your name: mike678
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1864AD
Turns played: 302
Base score: 942
Final score: 1570
Time played: 2:56:00

Biggest problem was research agreements as every one was broke almost the entire game lol. I actually beat the game before I finished sydney to give you an idea :/.

Basicly went for all the useful early wonders then spammed 5 or 6 hoplites to conquer darius and own the island. Then sim citied till I won.

Also I have no problem playing easier difficulties because not every one can beat the harder ones but if you make it warlord can you make sure its not a archipelago. The reason I ask is because the only ai unit to come onto my island was 1 scout.

Reference number: 25706
Your name: ladia74
Game date: 1906AD
Turns played: 326
Base score: 951
Final score: 1463
Time played: 2:09:00
Submitted save: GOTM30_0326 AD-1906.Civ5Save
Renamed file: ladia74_C503001.Civ5Save

Playing for some time on higher levels I forgot how friendly the AIs are on warlord.
It was a pleasant game, I attacked and puppeted Darius cities and than stayed peacefully on my island, selling luxuries and buying CSs (of course I sent a caravel as soon as possible to meet the others).
I probably did a mistake staying with only 2 cities (+3 puppets) because my science was low and RAs could not compensate entirely. As a consequence, I could only build Sidney Opera House very late. On the bright side, I finished the game with +726 culture/turn and allied with all CSs.
As I said, easy but relaxed and pleasant game.

I probably did a mistake staying with only 2 cities (+3 puppets) because my science was low and RAs could not compensate entirely. As a consequence, I could only build Sidney Opera House very late. On the bright side, I finished the game with +726 culture/turn and allied with all CSs.
As I said, easy but relaxed and pleasant game.

That's basically what I did too (2 cities 3 puppets) . I didn't realize that research agreements would be so few and far between. Since that was an issue I grabed that rationalism science policy quite early and made sure to grab all the maritime city states so I could grow as tall as possible.

Turn 306. Culture. Alexander.

It can be done quicker.

3 cities but one was plopped after opera houses and the hermitage.

Only signed 3/4 RA's the whole game. I never even made it as far up the tree as the Cristo Rendator and obviously the sydney opera house.

Got all the other culture wonders. and most of the rest. headed straight for the Lourve.

legalism trick for opera houses.

lots of culture CS's and most close by. allied as soon as i could afford.

only had one late late war. with persia. maybe i should have puppeted them earlier to maybe shave a view turns off through their eventual culture, infact i should have, the gold hit military wise would have been very short term.

culture is maybe the hardest win condition to speed up. earlier RA's to the lourve, get them built earlier. fill the slots up ealier. ally CS's earlier. more gold needed. i did miss out on machu picchu.

Reference number: 25710

Game date: 1872AD
Turns played: 306
Base score: 901
Final score: 1477
Time played: 1:55:00
Submitted save: GOTM30Save.Civ5Save
Renamed file: trueblue_C503001.Civ5Save

only had one late late war. with persia. maybe i should have puppeted them earlier to maybe shave a view turns off through their eventual culture, infact i should have, the gold hit military wise would have been very short term.
I'm surprised you let them live on the same island as you. What did you do instead or did they not mass expand for you? The only thought in my mind was killing them immediately but you still basically had the same amount of turns as I did.

Your name: Largio
Game date: 1836AD
Turns played: 288
Base score: 1024
Final score: 1796
Time played: 1:55:00

Had a pretty good game. Went straigth for the Stonehenge and GL. Bulbed Philosophy with GL and built the Oracle. After Mining beelined to horseback riding, built/bougth 4 companion cavalrys and puppeted Persia.

Settled 1 additional city myself. After Persia focused on cultural buildings and wonders. Used GS for Acoustics and rushed the Sistine Chaple. Another GE went for the Notre Dame due to the unhappines from puppeting Persian cities. Probably should have saved the other GE for Utopia (not sure but i think Utopia can be rushed unlike the other projects??). Hoped for a third GE from a city state but got a GG and a GS and used them for GA's.

Detoured to Economics before Archeology which may have been a mistake. Focused on producing artist's and had 6 landmarks near Athens and 4 near Sparta by the end. Landmarks were mostly on the hills (not sure if ideal) and mined them again for Utopia.

I didn't sign any RA's and spent all the gold allying first the cultured city states and marinetimes next. Towards the end had a plenty of surplus gold but didn't bother with RA's because I felt it was too late for them to have any effect.

tsg_30.jpg

Date submitted: 2012-02-16
Reference number: 25718
Your name: numaru7
Your email: -
Game date: 1904AD
Turns played: 324
Base score: 1264
Final score: 1975
Time played: 1:53:00
Submitted save: TSG30_Turn324_CultWIN.Civ5Save
Renamed file: numaru7_C503001.Civ5Save

Stayed on 1 City too long to build wonders - should have made 3-4 and build wonders in all...it was warlord ..duhh. Anyway.. puppet'ed darius' 3 Cities, and eliminated him, build 3 cities of my own, conquered Egypt but left him 1 city.
Was too slow to build astro and explore and forgot the importance of the louvre(even though i had 2 Gs's ready as astro finished for some reason).
Went trad, liberty, finished piety, finished freedom, finished patronage, and then finished trad and lib too.

Prod was horrible - built the Utopia in 16-17 turns, maybe if i hadn't squandered the GE's...and settled them instead it would have been better.

Date submitted: 2012-02-16
Reference number: 25720
Your name: Monthar
Game date: 1852AD
Turns played: 296
Base score: 1194
Final score: 2023
Time played: 5:28:00
Submitted save: TSG30_Cultural_Victory_T296.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Monthar_C503001.Civ5Save

I settle on the forested hill next to the mountains and built 3 more cities, mainly to get the max benefit from the free cultural buildings policy. 2nd city on the northern coast for the sugar, 3rd city down south for another spice and 4th city for the whales to the west of the 2nd city. The 3 coastal cities were places to get at least 3 sea resources each and all 3 got both harbor and seaport.

I had a few wars with Persia, mainly to capture their settlers so I wouldn't have to build/buy any workers after the free one. I had 2 wars with Egypt. The first I took one city plus the capital then offered a white peace which he accepted. This war was mainly to get some marble and cotton since Rams had been hostile for a while. The 2nd war with Egypt was just to have something to do while Utopia finished.

I took a GE from Liberty and HS to rush a wonder in 2 of my coastal cities. I only popped 2 GS's, both times with a GA. The first time was purely on accident and the 2nd time I planned for it. I popped 9 GA's, plus the 2 from the Louvre for 10 landmarks and 1 golden age. The 9'th GA popped just before starting Utopia so I saved it for a golden age.

Policies were Tradition opener, Liberty opener, free worker, free settler, All of Piety, Freedom opener, Tradition's 4 free cultural buildings (opera houses), Freedom's +2 culture per wonder, finished Liberty, Finished Freedom, finished Tradition, All of Commerce, left side first for the bonus production in 3 of my 4 core cities. My 2nd policy during the Renaissance was for the 4 free opera houses. It would have been my first but the last temple wasn't quite done yet.

I'm sure I could have finished the game much earlier, but I didn't have any coal to rush a factory and none of my CS allies were providing any and none of the AI civs had any. I suppose I could have built a settler and had it standing by to grab coal when I unlocked it, but I didn't want another city slowing my policies down.

Overall, I'm fairly happy with how I did. I don't recall the last time I managed a sub 300 cultural win, or if I have ever done so.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• 2012-02-16_00001.jpg
    2012-02-16_00001.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 714
Second try - Turn 309 - no war this time, max 4-5 RA's - used all the money to take all CS's - went a bit overboard with cult prod .. got it to +900/turn, but ofc tweaked it down in the end for prod. Only Had 100 prod in main city...so 15 turns for Utopia.. railroads didn't help :) ... got Golden Age + coal (at last) from all the Cs's some 2 turns into production and shaved off some 4-5 turns. If i would have had the Statue of liberty it would have been much better... but.. didn't have time to tech that too.. maybe if i made more Ra's...

Will upload this one too later.

Culture Victory
Game date: 1952AD
Turns played: 372

Tradition,Lib,Pat,Comm,Piety

someone has to be last. sigh

3 cities, puppetted 3 Persian cities, 4 Egyptian ones toward the end.Allied every CS for virtually the entire game. 3RA's with Persia, 1 with France. Very few other wars on the map. Aztec v Russia for a bit.

Got every WW made, except 3,and 2 of those i captured at Perspolis.

used the Free Religion to pop my last SP to build Utopia. and opened Freedom before it was built.

Everything seemed to be going swell really, timing wise. I did lose an early pop from carelessness in switching focus, that set me back some, but clearly there were other techniques I could have used.

Coolest new event for me: Ancient Ruins >> A Knight found Advanced Weapons to become a Cavalry!

Date submitted: 2012-02-17
Reference number: 25725
Your name: shooter6947
Game date: 1968AD
Turns played: 388
Base score: 1395
Final score: 1811
Time played: 3:05:00

Not quite on turn 500, but not far from 400. Ran an embarassingly incompetent early war vs. Darius -- almost had Persepolis, but lost all my melee units. Had to pull back and regroup. Natch he built walls in the interim. Lost about 500-1000 years on this one.

Also gave him time to found this really annoying city on the island off the NE coast:

Spoiler :

Finally got that one by using that Citadel right on the point 2-hexes from Pasargadae. I call this a 'terrorist training camp'. Basically I cycled my units through that square, allowing Pasargadae to attack them to increase their experience. Then when they get low on health I swap another unit in while the first heals. Using this I was able to finally get archers with 'range'; once they got two-attacks-per-turn, too, it was over fast. But not fast enough.

Once that war was over, moved to improving my economy. Eventually did pretty well, like most people. The Greek UA is totally unfair. Worked great in this game, though. I hope to learn from others how they did this faster!

Attachments

• 2012-02-16_00002.jpg
    2012-02-16_00002.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 26,405
Once that war was over, moved to improving my economy. Eventually did pretty well, like most people. The Greek UA is totally unfair. Worked great in this game, though. I hope to learn from others how they did this faster!

Yea those 1 tile islands are annoying to capture. A suggestion for next time is just to leave him. Its not like that city will be able to produce anything. At that point he was basically dead.

As for doing it faster what I did was settle my city next to the mountain for the tech boost. Then I occ'ed till I was ready to take out persia. I hit him with 6 hoplites making sure to heal between each city. After when I had the island to my self I just teched purely science as I knew I was never going to be attacked. I also made sure to get the 25% science bonus policy from city states.

My Persia had a city there too, I was very tempted to culture bomb him to no production but I did the smart thing and landmarked like I was supposed to. Love the training camp!

How does he make a city only 3 hex from Persep?

Top Bottom